Rhoanna's Rise (Fall from Heaven II: Shadow)

When you switch to CoE will you lose Bambur?
yep, but he's kinda obsolete by now and slows down my cavalry. He's barely better than a Champion at this point.

How do nightmares work? How do toads work?

Mounted units built with nightmares gain +1 strength and have access to the fear promotion. Magnadine will get fear for sure, it'll help prevent him from getting mobbed.

Blight makes plains/grassland turn to desert? I thought it just killed farms and pastures. What other effects does it cause?

Turns a certain amount of plains to deserts, not all of them. It kills farms, pastures, and camps. It also has a chance of destroying resources, which is the most annoying effect.

Low science, high cash is to feed your mercenaries?

Yeah initially I used the cash to buy MMs for the war vs the Infernals, now I'm using it to rush production of various things. Although I don't consider 40% science low.

Also I've run into a very frustrating bug :mad: that prevents me from switching to CoE. So with Deception I have my Nightwatch, but because I'm RoK state religion he can't seem to spread CoE (at least that's what I think). I tried to switch to No State Religion, but the game crashes everytime I do. I can't switch directly to CoE because none of my cities have CoE yet. I even tried back-patching to "i" because that's what I started the game with. Currently using "k". Anyway if I can't do anything about it, I'll forgo attacking Cassiel with Shadowriders and go for Mithril Weapons instead. Then once I have the CoE holy city I'll switch directly to CoE (won't crash I think).

*ouch*
Nasty bug.

Good round. Nice to see the scum of Erebus, Hyborem, wiped off the map by the Hippus. Also, what are Toads? I've never seen them in the few games I've played.

Yeap, toads are just a replacement for livestock resources, because seeing sheep on Hell terrain is... weird :p In game, cows, pigs and sheep all turn to toads so instead +3 health you will get just +1, so you will have lower health after Hell spreads all over.

Quick questions:

1) What does March of the Forests World Spell do? I assume it creates Treants or something to that effect. There was nothing the FFHopedia about it.

2) What are 'good' speed settings? I've tried Marathon and the early game is obscenely slow. Is Epic good?

3) Why does the AI cast the CoE World Spell so early? Wouldn't it be better to wait a bit until war or something? Or is it just AI issues?

Thanks a lot!

What is the significance of the ancient citadels from before the Age of Ice? Do you get benefits from having them in your territory, or are they just there for color?

Also, about the Lonely Giant ... is that a game feature? What does he do?

Chapter 9: The Calm Before the Storm

Year 284-321

[size=+1]T[/size]he defeat of the Infernals marked the beginning of a second period of prosperity for the Hippus. From the ashes of the Infernal war a great hero came forth. His name was Magnadine, the first Hippus to ever ride a Nightmare. Legend has it that he discovered his Nightmare running across the Fields of Perdition where he raced it and tamed it himself.

Great advances in metalworking were achieved as the secret art of Mithril Working was developed by Hippus blacksmiths during this time. Unfortunately Mithril was an extremely rare ore in Hippus lands. It was therefore impossible to produce enough Mithril weapons to equip the armies. As a consequence, the weapon smiths petitioned Rhoanna to find a foreign source of Mithril ore.

In addition to technological advancements, there was also much social progress. For the first time in Hippus history Public Healers were made available to the general population, so that even the poor could receive healing. The result was that sickness and disease became a thing of the past.

In Year 288, the Ljosalfar constructed the Mercurian Gate and Basium arrived on Erebus. It is unknown what his agenda is, since the Infernals have already been banished years ago. He claims to be a harbinger of rightousness but his fanatical and singleminded pursuit of justice raises doubts as to whether the Mercurians are any different from the Infernals.

Alas such a pleasant and peaceful time could not last forever. Hippus wealth and glory was the object of envy across Erebus but none could surpass Perpentach's jealousy. He had long claimed that the glory of defeating Acheron and Hyborem should have been his, and that the Hippus had stolen the opportunity from him. It is unclear how he came to such delusions. And so it came to be that, on an infamous day in Year 321, Perpentach launched a sneak attack on the island city of Ihara and declared war on the Hippus.

War!​

Spoiler Turn details :

Year 287 - Magnadine

Finished building Life Node

Magnadine has joined our cause!

Finished building Mind Mode.

Done researching Deception, now continuing with Smelting-->Iron Working.

Year 288 - The Mercurians

The Ljosalfar have called the Mercurians onto Erebus! Hmmm the Infernals are gone...this is certainly a little awkward. In any case Basium took the holy city of the Fellowship.

Doh...even though I've got Deception and a Nightwatch I can't spread CoE to my cities! Looks like I need CoE as a state religion to be able to spread it with the Nightwatch...but I can't declare CoE as my state religion without have a city with CoE first! I tried switching to no state religion, but the game crashes everytime I do... :(

Finished building Law Node

Year 290

Traded our Deception and 355 gold to Amelanchier for his Medicine. The religious diplomatic penalty is getting harsh, I'm hoping switching to Public Healers will help abit.

Done researching Smelting, now going for Iron Working. I could use the workshops for the extra production.

Year 292

Perpentach has made peace with Cassiel and Auric.

Switched to Undercouncil and Public Healers.

Trading Iron to Amelanchier for 9 gold/turn.

Year 297

Begun building the Tower of Divination (~25 turns)

Done researching Iron Working, now researching Mithril Weapons. I've decided to use the Tower of Divination for Divine Essence instead of Mithril Weapons.

Year 301 - Trading Fish to the Elohim for their Crab.

Year 302 - Renegotiated trade deal with Perpentach: we give him Iron, Cow, and Fur for 14 gold/turn.

Year 309 - We've made peace with Os-Gabella seeing as how I have little to gain from conquering her.

Year 316

Done researching Mithril Working. Now researching Theology to open up Divine Essence.

Ack, there's no Mithril in any of my territories! Many other civs do though...but not the Grigori. Looks like I'm gonna have to take it from someone. The most accessible one seems to be the Malakim. Sending scouts over to see what he's got as defense.

If I capture the city of Golden Leane, the Mithril will become available at Dis right away.

Perpentach asked us to adopt Slavery, we naturally declined.

Year 321 - Perpentach's Madness

As I was preparing to gather forces to to set out against the Malakim, Perpentach sneak attacked us at Ihara! It was only defended by a Warrior.

What is the significance of the ancient citadels from before the Age of Ice? Do you get benefits from having them in your territory, or are they just there for color?

Also, about the Lonely Giant ... is that a game feature? What does he do?

The Lonely Giant is not a game feature, I made him up for this story. He's a regular Hill Giant stuck in my borders :D

I don't mind answering questions or discussions if they're related to the story. However I'd appreciate it alot if non-story gameplay questions were directed to the FfH2 forums since I wanna keep this story as easy to read as possible. Thanks :)

Hey evernoob, try adding COE into one of your cities on worldbuilder, then hopefully you'll be able to convert to it.

Hey evernoob, try adding COE into one of your cities on worldbuilder, then hopefully you'll be able to convert to it.

That would've been a good idea, hadn't thought of that...oops. Though I already got around the problem another way in-game. So it's all good now.

Nonobots, I'll include photographic evidence of his continued existence in the next update ;)

Chapter 10: The Hippus-Balseraph War, Part I

Year 321-343

[size=+1]Skirmishes[/size]​

[size=+1]P[/size]erpentach's sneak attack on Ihara shocked all of Erebus. Whether his unprovoked attack was from jealousy of the Hippus or commanded by imaginary voices from the depths of his dreams, is a matter of speculation. Clearly it was not for reasons of conquest alone for there were weaker nations whom would have made easier pickings. Indeed the Hippus were experts on warfare. Between the conquest of the Elohim to the banishment of the Infernals, Hippus battle prowess was well known across Erebus. On the other hand, the Balseraph also were no strangers to warfare. In their earliest days they wiped out the Kuriotates and later on they waged war against the Grigori for many years.

The initial years of the war were punctuated by intermittent skirmishes away from the homeland of both nations. Bambur took command of the defense of the nation and easily liberated Ihara from the Balseraphs.

The Liberation of Ihara​

Perpentach then attempted a raid at Urgortheth, hoping that its distance from the Hippus homeland would make it an easier target. However he did not count on the readiness of the Guild of The Nine and its Mounted Mercenaries. The Balseraphs landed near Urgortheth under the cover of the forest, but were quickly dispatched by the Guild before they could mount an offensive.

There were also numerous skirmishes on the high seas and the coasts. The Balseraphs controlled the seas around Myrean Isle but were unable to mount an effective land offensive. In turn the Hippus dominated the seas surrounding their own homeland but could not mount a credible offensive on the Balseraph mainland. Neither side could gain a decisive advantage.

The Lonely Giant overlooking a coastal skirmish​

However the winds began to favour the Hippus with the discovery of Sorcery. Wind and Fire Mages worked together to construct the first Hippus Arcane Barge. The use of magic to manipulate the winds or launch Fireballs at enemy ships was a key component in Hippus naval superiority.

An Arcane Barge in action​

The advent of the Arcane Barge allowed the Hippus to mount an offensive on the Balseraph mainland. Hippus spies managed to locate a rich vein of Mithril ore right under the city of Gadium. Luckily the Balseraph did not possess the knowledge to refine, or even to mine the ore.

The Balseraph city of Gadium​

Magnadine was put in charge of the assault on Gadium with an army and a whole fleet under his command. His army consisted of a large contingent of mixed cavalry along with a variety of other forces, including Mages. After a long period of preparation, he came up with a battle plan. In order to avoid detection and fierce resistance from the Balseraph navy, Magnadine decided to travel through the safety of Grigori waters toward Gadium. Having been at war with them for so long the Grigori were no friends of the Balseraph. Therefore they gladly granted the Hippus passage through their territories.

In Year 342 Magnadine's army landed near Gadium to begin the assault. Travelling through Grigori waters had kept the invasion fleet from being detected, allowing Perpentach to be caught completely by surprise. As a result the city of Gadium was only lightly defended and was easily captured.

As was witnessed at Gadium, Balseraph troops often used a gunpowder based weapon called an Arquebus. The purported advantage of the Arquebus was that it could deliver a powerful blow at long range, with little skill required from its wielder. The Hippus naturally looked upon it with disdain, maintaining that weapons which required no skill from its wielder only bred incompetent soldiers.

As soon as Gadium was captured, Mithril ore was mined and newly forged Mithril weapons were immediately distributed among the troops. A chapter of the Guild of The Nine was also setup in Gadium as Mounted Mercenaries began to flock to the Hippus. All of this was done before Perpentach was able to respond to the invasion. However the Balseraph counterattack was sure to come and Magnadine would be ready for it.

Spoiler Turn details :

Year 321 - Defending the Homeland
Spoiler War Council strategy :

Troop movements and actions = white, Balseraphs = yellow, Hippus = green, hidden nationality = black. The lone caravel in blue belongs to the Bannor.
Suicide run succeded, managed to kill a Frigate.

Destroyed the Privateer to the north.

Perpentach's invading naval force is next to Ihara, where they just captured the city. Since Ihara was a low priority target, I didn't bother to defend it properly. It only had a Warrior for defense.

Perpentach's fleet can reach our main coast in 2 turns, which gives us time to bring in troops to defend the closest mainland city, Radonnor.

Most of our navy is located nearby, but only 5 Frigates are close enough to intercept Perpentach's fleet before it can unload its units. There's also a number of ships scattered around all our territories who won't be able to get there on time.

Giving up the idea of Divine Essence, since I'm only halfway into researching Theology anyway. Going to research Sorcery for Arcane Barges and going to use Tower of Divination to get Armored Cavalry.

Year 322

Perpentach attacked our Suicide Frigate and lost another Frigate of his own before killing it.

For some reason Perpentach's fleet is retreating! We're going in pursuit.

Year 323 - Alliance with Amelanchier

Amelanchier has asked us to declare war on Os-Gabella, since we don't want to antagonize him we agreed. She isn't much of a threat anyway. The good news is that since we agreed to join in the war with him, he has finally agreed to sign an Open Borders agreements.

While we were in pursuit of Perpentach's fleet, we noticed that he had reinforcements so we decided to retreat instead.

Perpentach's ships are all in normal configuration. Our ships are in Longshoremen configuration and with Air Adepts casting Fair Winds it gives us an invaluable speed advantage.

Year 324 - Liberation of Ihara

Bambur took back Ihara. Perpentach only left a Champion as garrison...

Gosea the Great Prophet of Kilmoprh has appeard in our land.

Year 325 - Tablets of Bambur

Gosea constructed the Tablets of Bambur in Cafes.

Traded with Garrim Gyr: Medicine for their knowledge Animal Handling, it opens up Domesticate Elephant.

Year 327

Finished constructing the Tower of Divination and chose Domesticate Elephant.

Year 328

Done researching Sorcery, now going for Armored Cavalry

We've upgraded our first Mage. I'll only be using Mages to buff my troops with spells, and the occasional Rust. Fair Winds, Courage, Loyalty and Valor will be my main spells.

Year 329 - Perpentach's fleet is approaching the city of Urgortheth. We're recruiting MMs to defend the city.

Year 330 - Defense of Urgortheth

Perpentach's forces have landed in the forest next to Urgortheth and is bombarding the city with his Frigates. By now we've recruited 7 additional MMs making a total of 9. There's also a coule of MMs in Myrean as well. I thought it best that we strike preemtively since his Drowns have CR III.

Victory! Wow 3 Withdrawals, pretty lucky considering MMs only have 20% withdrawal. We make short work of the Harlequin and Catapults after that.

Year 331 - Founding of Glorairmor

The fishing settlement of Glorairmor has been built.

Year 333

Contructed our first Arcane Barge, now gathering an invasion force for Perpentach's lands.

Year 337 - The First Wave

We've located the perfect landing spot on the far side of the Balseraph continent. The city of Gadium sits right on top of Mithril ore! We'll land next to it and capture Gadium, giving our troops immediate access to Mithril weapons.

The invasion fleet going to Perpentach's land will go through the relative safety of Cassiel's territory. Perpentach and Cassiel are no longer at war so Perpentach can't enter Grigori borders.

The invasion force is led by Magnadine and includes:
  • 5 Frigates
  • 5 Galleons
  • 2 Queens of the Line
  • 1 Arcane Barge
  • 3 War Chariots + 8 Chariots
  • 5 Horse Archers
  • 3 Mounted Mercenaries
  • 1 Ogre
  • 2 Champions
  • 2 Assasins
  • 3 Mages + 1 Adept
Year 338

We've trained our first War Elephants. Strangely enough they have the Nightmare promotion too...I'm not complaining. Looks like Hippus Elephant riders have very unorthodox riding techniques!

We're now selling Iron to Cassiel for 9 gold/turn

We've signed an Open Borders treaty with Sandalphon.

Year 342

Now Landing on Perpentach's continent. Gadium is only defended by 2 Arquebi, 1 Champion and 1 Longbowmen. Taking the city will be easy, it's the counterattack we have to watch out for.

We open up the offensive with Fireball bombardment from the Arcane Barge and Rust from our Mages.

Year 343 - The Battle of Gadium

We encounter fierce resistance from the Balseraph navy. Fortunately we've safely unloaded all our troops onto land already.

Our Arcane Barge continues its Fireball barrage.

We first wear down the defenders with our high withdrawal cavalry, then come in with the tough guys.

We successfully capture Gadium with minimal casualties.

All our units in Gadium are now equipped with Mithril Weapons! Unfortunately Perpentach's cultural border cuts off Gadium from the sea. For now we only have Mithril Weapons at Gadium.

We recruit 16 MMs at Gadium. Now waiting for eventual counterattack.

Chapter 10: The Hippus-Balseraph War, Part II

Year 344-360

[size=+1]The Republic of Esus[/size]

[size=+1]T[/size]he tribal council chamber was in an uproar. Chieftains from each City State shouted in outrage at Rhoanna so loudly that she could not understand a single word. Rhoanna sighed. Bunch of old men clinging to old ideals she though. "Quiet all of you! I will only listen to you if you speak one at a time!"

"How can we not be outraged? Our ancestral way of life is at stake! The role of tribal chieftain has always been passed down from parent to child since the beginning of time. Now all of a sudden we're expected to allow common people to choose their chieftain. This goes against every Hippus tradition!" The speaker was Morleth, chieftain of Slane. Slane was the wealthiest City State in all the Hippus Empire and the most influential, after Altheriol-ta-Mealthiel of course. The other chieftains expressed agreement with Morleth's words.

This time Tenol, the chieftain of Dis, rose to speak. "Rhoanna, we expected you to sympathize with us. After all, you inherited your chieftainhood from your father as well. This idea of the Republic is preposterous. Allowing the common Hippus to have a say in decision of government will only lead to chaos."

"It's all the Grigori's fault! They've filled our people's heads with this nonsense about representation and voting. It's a wonder how Cassiel manages to keep his own people under control. I say we should've gotten rid of the Grigori years ago."

On and on it went. Of course she knew they would react this way. How could they not, their own selfish interests were at stake. "Fellow chieftains, for once stop thinking about yourselves! You want to cling to the old ways out of tradition, but look around. We're no longer some backward villagers from the steppe. Everywhere I see sprawling cities brimming with wealth and prosperity. Hippus prosperity. We owe all of that progress to the people, not just us. It's only fair they have a say in matters of government."

In their hearts they knew my words to be true, yet they still pleaded with me. The chieftain of Conrond Mor spoke next. "Please Rhoanna, for the future of your children and out of respect for the memory of your father, you must do something about this...Republic."

Rhoanna smiled. "I do intend to do something about it. I'm going to run as a candidate for High Chancellor"

Protests over continued war with the Balseraph had galvanized the Hippus and eventually led to the creation of the First Hippus Republic. A wave of Nationalism swept across the new republic as the formerly separate city states unified against the Balseraph. Rhoanna, having led the Hippus to wealth and glory, was naturally elected as the first High Chancellor of the Hippus.

Unbeknown to the people, apparent progress embodied by the Hippus Republic hid a more sinister shift in power within the nation. In secret, away from prying eyes, Rhoanna had long ago turned her back on Kilmorph and had become a Dark Magistrate of the Undercouncil. The fact was that Rhoanna now held more power than she did with the old tribal council. The irony was too rich for words.

The Nightwatch​

Blessed (or perhaps cursed in this case) with the wisdom of his Mother Kilmorph, only Bambur noticed the change in Rhoanna. He confronted her at once.

"Lady Rhoanna," Bambur called out as he strode into her private study.

"Yes Bambur, what can I do for you?" She noticed that he seemed distraught.

"Well, milady, I have come to a most...disturbing conclusion about recent events concerning your appointment as High Chancellor." Hesitant at first, he decided to get straight to the point. "Do you still hold She Who Dwells Beneath in your heart, milady?"

She stared at him. Time just stopped as she looked into his eyes, sizing him up. Finally she replied, "What can Kilmorph's Stonewardens possibly offer us that we cannot obtain from others? Healing cuts and bruises, turning copper to gold. Those are just parlor tricks compared to what other gods have to offer." Rhoanna knew that Bambur would see through any lie. Might as well have it out she figured. "And from now on you will address me as Chancellor."

At that point Bambur knew there was nothing elso to say. He packed his meager belongings and left the Hippus, never to come back. It is rumoured that he joined his friend Arthendain in the Order of Elohim, knowing that Einion Logos remained faithful to Kilmorph.

Bambur and Arthendain living in peace among the Elohim

[size=+1]The War Rages On[/size]​

The turmoil deep inside the Hippus nation mirrored the progress of the war with Perpentach. Events turned for the worse as the Balseraph occupied the city of Urgortheth. Fortunately the Hippus were able to liberate Urgortheth thanks to the Guild of The Nine.

Meanwhile the offensive on the Balseraph mainland was going well. Magnadine's army successfully held the city of Gadium against numerous counterattacks. With the capture of the seaport at Miro Magnadine was able to send Mithril back to the homeland, arming every Hippus horselord with Mithril weapons.

In an attempt to repel the invaders, Perpentach sent out all kinds of creatures and servants against the Hippus. There were the minions of the Octopus Overlords, the waterwalking Drown and Stygian Guard.

Drown

Stygian Guard​

Mounted Mercenaries also encountered Perpentach's personal guard, the Harlequins and Crossbowmen.

Harlequins and Crossbowmen​

Dark creatures of evil were called upon in vain by Perpentach to defend his nation.

Eidolon facing a Chariot charge​

In the end Perpentach brought forth his champion, a former shell of a Doviello named Saverous. He slew countless Hippus, and as his club began to wear down from constant battle, Saverous even began grabbing the bodies of slain warriors as weapons. For a time it seemed that the Hippus had finally met their match, until Magnadine appeared. Riding his Nightmare, Magnadine charged the demon and singlehandedly defeated it, striking a fatal blow to Balseraph morale.

Saverous vs Magnadine​

Some say that the reversal in the tide of war was through the favour of Esus...

Spoiler Turn details :

Year 344 - Perpentach's Counterattack

Perpentach's counterattack at Gadium is a joke except that his constant naval attacks are gradually wearing my fleet down. Since cavalry sucks on defence, we struck his counterattack force preemtively and wiped it out.

On the other hand Perpentach landed a 2nd large invasion forces at Urgortheth. I've tried recruiting more MMs there but it's not going to be enough to stop him from taking Urgortheth.

Year 345 - Siege at Urgortheth

We barely manage to hold Urgortheth this turn. For sure we're gonna lose it this turn since only 2 MMs survived Perpentach's attack. Instead of trying to defend it, I'm sending 1 MM to Myrean to establish the Guild of the Nine. We'll recruit more MMs at Myrean that way.

We've researched Armored Cavalry, now finishing off Theology.

War weariness and the people's demand for Republic is beginning to take its toll. Unhapiness is starting to have its effect. I've started building Gambling Houses in various cities to try and counter this, but if the war continues we'll have to eventually switch out of City States.

Year 346 - The Fall of Urgortheth

As expected we lose Urgortheth.

Year 349 - Liberation of Urgortheth

After a few years of recruiting MMs (= 20 MMs) we successfully take back Urgortheth.

We've researched Theology, now going back to Divine Essence.

Sent out an attack force to the Balseraph city of Miro, which is defended by Eidolons. Once we capture that city, we should be able to hook up Mithril to the rest of our trade network and make Mithril available across our empire.

Year 350

Captured Miro and discovered that it contains the Council of Esus! Finally we can switch to CoE and start spreading it to our cities. Shadowriders, here we come!

Defeated a substantial Balseraph force that was attempting to siege Gadium. Our army fought against Crossbowman and Stygian Guards, among other units.

We've trained our first Knights...they look like peacocks.

Switched to Republic, Nationhood and Military State. More importantly we switch away from Arete since we're going to adopt CoE soon. Before switching to CoE, I'm going to gift Bambur and Arthendain to the Elohim. I don't have Arthendain yet, but he won't take long to train.

Year 351 - Rhoanna, Dark Magistrate of the Undercouncil

Rhoanna gets voted in as the Head Counciler of the Undercouncil. Cassiel and Auric are the only other members.

Year 352 - Mithril for All

Through Miro we've connected our Mithril to the rest of our empire. Our troops everywhere are now equipped with Mithril weapons.

Year 355

Captured the Balseraph city of Umbracle

Year 360

Turning to Esus

The Hippus turn their backs on Kilmorph and embrace Esus. As a result Bambur and Arthendain leave to join the Elohim.

The Second Death of Saverous

Magnadine defeats Saverous near Gadium.

The war so far:

Notable Balseraph units we've encountered to date are Crossbowmen, Beastmasters, Eidolons, Arquebi, Courtesans, and Stygians Guards.

Also, we're sending what's left of the invasion fleet back home to eventually bring in the 2nd wave of our invasion.

Top Bottom