The Conquests

The Persians and Macedonians conquered Scythia?
Yep.

Egypt hasn't been conquered yet? They must have played with half a brain this time.

Egypt actually was bigger once, but Persia conquered a couple of cities. I tried declaring war on them, but they signed an alliance with Macedon. It didn't go well.

But you're Rome- you should be big enough to fight two other civs at once and win. :p

And you're Macedon, and you should be playing instead of discussing somebody else's game. :p

You need to catch up with me; this is my third conquest now: :p

My Spanish Empire:

Okay, yes, but you don't have to write stuff about what happened, so you can play faster. :p

Spoil that stuff, don't derail his thread, start you're own already.

I just want this conquest finished before new year's day
and age of exploration is not the 3rd

I assume he isn't playing them in order.

And don't worry about that, I think I'll have enough time to play 11 more turns sometime in the next 3 weeks. I'm not THAT pressed for time. :p

You do realize those 11 days are up, right? :mischief:

You know, you never told me why it was 11 days.

And yeah, I know, I haven't updated in 3 weeks, I know. I've been busy.

Next person who bumps this thread gets reported...

Spoiler :
not really, but please don't do it, unless you're name is choxorn :mischief:

Chapter 18: I Hope This Works

By 245 AD, it had become obvious to everyone that Macedon was not expanding fast enough to get the land they'd require to dominate the world. Even with the rest of Persia soon to be added, it would not be enough. They would also have to add something else. Scythia, perhaps, would help nicely. But they'd need more- more land, more people. They started rapidly expanding into several areas over the next 50 years, to build cities in the North, in the East, in random gaps, and wherever they could. They also sent some Settlers to claim Aegean Islands and the unsettled-by-Carthage part of North Africa. Maybe then, they would get enough to bring victory. They certainly couldn't surpass Carthage in however that "God" dude was keeping score. They were gaining, and gaining quickly, but not fast enough. They'd be able to surpass Persia (and did), but not Carthage. Not in time.

The general consensus among Macedon's leaders, generals, and people was: "This had better work..."

So they started switching from mostly Cavalry to Hoplites and Settlers, and hoped they weren't already too late.

Despite Persia's lack of Iron, they still managed to annoyingly have some Cavalry left over, as they proved in 247 when one of the few they had left attacked and killed a Macedonian Cavalry in Scythia.

The Romans and Carthaginians also continued their age-old war with another random Naval Battle in the Ionian Sea (which Carthage won), and Carthage also captured the recently-built Roman city of Palmyra in Spain.

In 250, the Macedonian Army hoped to completely evict Persia from cities they hadn't taken from Scythia. They failed at this, but came close. There were just a few too many people in Tarsus.

The first battle of the year was at Ergili, Persia's last remaining city on the Coast. Specifically, this one was on the Persian Gulf. It managed to hold out for a little bit, even making one unit of Cavalry retreat, but the 2 Spearmen units and 1 Archer unit were no match for Macedonian Cavalry in the end. They even captured a Catapult, for all the help that does.

Pasargadae, a bit to the East, didn't even manage to do this well, as it had only had 2 Spearmen, and didn't even force a retreat, just total loss for Persia.

Tarsus, on the other hand, was a bit tougher. It was a larger city, on a hill, and defended by a River, so the Persians had pretty much every defensive advantage possible here, and so they managed to hold Macedonia off a bit longer, and it was also defended by more units than usual. 7 attacks by Cavalry on the city produced one retreat and 3 dead units on both sides. Macedon lost 3 Cavalry, and Persia lost 2 Spearmen and an Archer. With nothing left to do, a Cavalry unit that couldn't quite reach Tarsus captured some workers outside.

In Scythia, Macedonian Cavalry killed Persian Cavalry. Surely they're almost out of these things by now.

Apparently not completely out, for in 252, another appeared and killed this unit of Cavalry. This cycle of Cavalry killing each other never seems to end.

A little bit later that year, the news spread that Rome had finally reached Atuatuca, the Celts' last city, and burned it to the ground. I guess less Civs out there is probably a good thing for the ones that aren't dead. Less competition.

Getting Persia out of Tarsus was the first order of business in 255, and evicting them from their land in Scythia would soon follow. As it was now only defended by 2 weak Spearmen units and a Catapult, it was no longer nearly as difficult to take it. Macedonian Cavalry swept those Spearmen aside like they were nothing.

With Persia gone from everywhere but Scythia, the taking of their Scythian lands could begin. It started with Ulsky, the former Scythian capital. It also was defended by 2 Spearmen. It also was easy for Cavalry to take those Spearmen down. They also grabbed a worker to the East.

Maykop could not be taken this year, as only one unit of Cavalry was in the area to attack. But attack it did, and Maykop was down one unit of Spearmen.

The Persian counter-attack in 257 consisted of, for the millionth time in a row, a lone Cavalry attack. As usual, one Macedonian Cavalry unit died. This is getting old.

Said Cavalry was killed in 260, but there wasn't much else to do while people waited for the bulk of Macedon's army to get to Scythia.

The first three of many new cities in Macedon's aggressive expansion campaign were built that year. Phocaea, in the North...

Sicyon, on the tip of Italy...

And Gortyn, on the half of Crete not owned by Romans.

In 265, this continued. Mytilene was built in a semi-gap (Melitene was not amused by the lack of originality). It actually wasn't terribly helpful to land grabbing, but it did fill in a space that had needed to be filled in for a while now.

Tegea was built on the island of Rhodes...

...and Apollonia was built in a gap in Anatolia.

On the war front, not much happened. Two Cavalry units attacked Saka, and although they killed a defending Spearmen, a retreat meant they wouldn't be able to take the city this year. They did manage to get some workers outside, though.

It seemed by this point that Persia had run out of Cavalry, as their only counter-attack in 267 was the Archer unit in Saka attacking the Cavalry outside. And killing them. Damn it.

Word was also given that the scientists had researched something they called "Future Tech 1." Since this appeared to be completely useless, and nothing was ever said about what it could even do, it was ignored, and Alex defunded them completely (at the time, there had been one Anatolian Scientist doing research) as they could not research "Future Tech 2" in time to make a difference, not that it would matter anyway.

By 270, the first of the Macedonian troops had begun to arrive in Scythia- the army of Ajax. They led an attack on Maykop, killing 3 units of Spearmen there. They were surprised to find there was still another. Oh well, nothing the other unit of Macedonian Cavalry in the area couldn't take care of.

The Persian capital moved to the far North, to Katanda. It would save them for a bit, but not for long.

The army then advanced towards Saka. Two Cavalry attacked it, killing a Spearmen unit, and... retreating. Saka will remain Persian a little bit longer.

The expansion couldn't continue as strongly as could in the past years, as only 2 cities were built. Still, that was a lot. The cities were named Apolyton, after something silly that nobody remembers, and Corinth, after a different Corinth the Persians destroyed a long time ago. Both were in the North.

No Persian attacks occurred in 272, but Alex got to watch some other nations fight. Scythian Swordsmen killed a Roman Legion near Solokha, and Roman Archers killed a Carthaginian Cavalry unit that had landed on Crete with some Archers recently.

Saka was finally taken in 275, due to the mass arrival of Cavalry. Both of the city's defending Spearmen units, and the Archer, were wiped out easily. The city and some more workers were Macedonian, and Persia was down to 3 cities.

Two more cities were also built- Rhodes, in a sort-of-gap in Anatolia, and, abandoning all hope of being considered original, New Athens, in one of the few gaps in Persia the Persians hadn't already filled themselves.

In 277, the Carthaginian Archer on Crete killed the Roman Archer on Crete, to the surprise of nobody.

A Persian Archer appeared from the North and made a Macedonian Cavalry retreat. They've got to run out of men at some point, right?

The only really surprising thing was a Horseman, of the Barbarian Arab tribe in the far Southeast, appearing near Jinjan. Alex can't remember the last time he saw barbarians. (I think this is the only barb I've seen the entire game. Really.)

Also, the Persians built a new city in Scythia, called Behistun, distracting a bit of Macedonian attention. Zeus damn it.

It would not exist for long, as Macedon advanced on it and the other last remaining cities of Persia.

First, Shibe. Ajax and his army got there before anyone else. Killing the two Spearmen in the city was among the easiest things they'd ever done. They got some workers, and shortly after, the Archers to the east of the city were killed by Cavalry.

Behistun was next. A recently built city, only one unit of Spearmen defended it. Macedonian Cavalry found these Spearmen funny.

A shame it couldn't be taken, but it was too small to be taken.

Two more cities were added to the Macedonian Empire: New Sparta, in the far South...

...and New Thermopylae, in a small gap in Anatolia.

In lesser news, some workers outside Katanda were taken as the army prepared the final push against the last two Persian cities, and the barbarian Horsemen in the South were killed by Cavalry.

It would seem that Persia had run out of steam and options by this point, as they no longer had any units counterattacking. One last Cavalry was seen moving, but it didn't attack. They just sat back and hoped to survive.

Also, the Archer on Crete attacked the Roman Legion defending Lugdunum. They fared about as well as you'd expect. And East Crete remains Roman another year.

285 would go down as a great year for Macedonia, as the year the Persian Empire drew its final breath. First, Tsagan Aman. 4 units of Cavalry could attack it this year. It turned out Macedon would need every last one of those 4, as it was defended by 2 units of Spearmen and one of Persia's last remaining Cavalry units.

"Alright! Tonight! They Dine! IN HELL!" cried the Macedonian commander. The first unit of Cavalry charged at the city, and made mincemeat of the unit of Spearmen they attacked. Confidence boosted by this victory, another unit of Cavalry attacked the other Spearmen. They must have been foolishly overconfident, then, as they were wiped out without a second thought, although they did do some damage.

"Alright. That sucked. But we can still win this now, as long as we don't screw up more!"

And they didn't- the other two Cavalry units easily killed the last two defenders of Tsagan Aman, a Cavalry and a Spearman. Huh.

Even more were outside the gates of Katanda. For Darius and the rest of the Persians, there was no hope. This would be their final battle. They readied their last 3 units of Spearmen and the Archer unit defending the city, and hoped they could at least survive for a little bit longer.

But it was not going to happen. 4 units of Cavalry pushed aside all the defenses in the city, killed every last Spearmen, and captured the recently built Settlers before they could think of escaping and causing more trouble for Macedonia. Darius was killed attempting to defend himself with one of the few Swords the Persians still had. According to reports, he fought well for a bit, but as with the rest of Persia, all his attempts were ultimately futile. He was later found with several Spears stuck through him. Persia was dead.

The army now made preparations to attack Scythia. They did not have much time. This would be a final, desperate act, to get enough land and people to get Domination, before it was too late.

Macedon decided to get Scythia's World Map, to find the location of the one city they didn't know the location of, see anything more they had, and, what the heck, why not know your enemy?

They didn't build any new cities this year, as all the Settlers were on the way to their destination.

Carthage continued beating Rome on the seas in 287, and sunk a Roman Galley in the Ionian. They also curiously kept moving their Cavalry North, despite the fact that Persia's death meant there was nothing for them to do up there. Alex also wonders why, if they do so well against Rome on the sea, they can't make any significant gains on land, or why Rome can't make any gains against Carthage. Sure, they were busy fighting other people, but they've been in near-endless stalemate for centuries now, with little gains, with the exception of things like Carthage capturing Palmyra a while ago. But that was a recently-built city, that kind of thing isn't hard to take.

Some more expansion was the first thing to happen in 290. New Corinth was built in the far south, and New Delphi to close up the gap in Mesopotamia.

Now, to fight Scythia. Macedon realized they might simply be able to demand some things first, and save themselves some time. And they did manage to successfully demand the city of Getae, which would have been razed otherwise. But that was all, so they now declared war.

A Worker and a Catapult just hanging around were captured. Silly worker and catapult.

The first two attacks were on Scythia's two cities on the Caspian Sea, Pazyryk and Iazygia. Both were defended by 2 Spearmen. Cavalry took care of Pazyryk, and Pyrrhus' Army took care of Iazygia.

That would be all Macedonia could take that year, as Kul Oba had too wide borders, and all other cities were out of reach or too small, and would have to burn. In the end, two of Scythia's cities were too far to reach this year or in 5, so they would remain Scythian past the deadline. Oh well, there was nothing Macedon could do, it was just hoped that would be enough.

But Kimmeria could be reached by one Cavalry, and so it was. Kimmeria is now missing a unit of Spearmen.

Near Solokha, Cavalry attacked some random Scythian Swordsmen... and died, barely. Why the hell were we supplying them with Horses and Iron for so long, again? thought Alex.

Some fears were abound of Scythia signing an alliance with Carthage. This was perfectly possible and might even happen. Alex put those fears to rest by paying a small fee to ensure Carthage would declare war on Scythia instead. They couldn't get North fast enough anyway, and it couldn't possibly hurt.

Sadly, Carthage could hurt in other ways. Macedonian Settlers had finally landed in North Africa in 290, and it appeared there were a few Carthaginian units directly in their way. Damn it. They would probably not be able to build as many cities as they liked when they could move in 5 years. Well, they could probably still do something, at least.

It was at this point that Alex and his top advisors met.

"Sir, we have a problem. At the moment, we're at only 17% Area and 39% Population. At this rate, we certainly won't make the Population requirement, and might not even make the area requirement!"

"This is bad. But I have a solution. Rush several settlers in areas that can build a new city in 5 years, to ensure we'll make the Area requirement..."

"But that will decrease our population!"

"...and any that are not needed will rejoin their cities."

"Oh."

"And, to meet the population requirement, I propose this: when it's needed, all workers shall be added to the population of the nearest city, if possible. The subsequent population swell might just be enough to get us above 50% Population."

"We don't have enough workers! We don't have enough time!"

"Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe we've been too late for a while now. But whatever happens, we have to at least try. Who knows? We just might succeed.

I hope this works..."

Last edited:
Sorry to leave you all hanging at the end like that, but I ran out of pictures.

I'll play the final turn and a half soon, and the epic conclusion shall be posted... soon.

Top Bottom