Let's play Deity: Hatshepsut

Turn 171 - Turn 215

So I looked at my screenshots and figured it wasn't really worth stretching these remaining turns to 3 updates.

As Duckweed pointed out, the fastest way to finish this game as of the 980AD save is to beeline rifling, ignore Oxford University and then build *Cavalry with some Galleons/Frigates to go take on the overseas AIs. This is not what I did, otherwise the game would have been done before turn 200, possibly even by the early 1300ADs.

Anyway, what I did was keep teching somewhat as I like to keep teching... you'd have trouble believing me that when I started out on Civ IV I'd get my behind whooped by Louis on Noble because I didn't build units... just the shinies! (yea, I remember that one particular game to this day). This is not a good excuse regardless to stretch out the game especially in a position like I was in. However, as I said I wanted to finish the game using less RL time so this option required fewer micromanagement and more automation.

Having vassals to trade with is quite useful.
Spoiler :

Once most of the captured cities from the first 2 wars came out of revolt, I triggered my 3rd Golden Age. I wonder what Newton is looking at in this screenshot.
Spoiler :

I got tired of building the Hermitage and delaying production in several cities so I just finished it early. Still got some 420 gold for my troubles. Obviously, this is not optimal, I could easily have gotten over 1,000 gold from this.
Spoiler :

Once I think I am ready to take on WvO (he has Machine Guns now, you don't see them in this screenshot because he hasn't upgraded too many troops), I DoW him, expecting him to move his SoD in my territory.
Spoiler :

That didn't work out too well, I think he sent 4 Cavalry only.

Meanwhile, I launch my 4th and final Golden Age just as the 3rd ends.
Spoiler :

Attacking Riflemen, Machine Guns with Cavalry is pretty harsh. I use some 12 Airships to lower their strength but even then, it's pretty costly. Regardless, I have a huge production advantage (over 2 times as much) over everyone at this point.
Spoiler :

To add insult to injury, I didn't even get to capture the city. Mansa sniped it right under my nose, depriving me of ~15 war success... which made the game even longer because I had to take 3 cities instead of 2 from WvO.

Mansa is still doing relatively well for 4 cities, Biology was a 7 turns affair.
Spoiler :

After a similar attack on Amsterdam, I capture it, but don't have sufficient war success to capitulate Willem.
Spoiler :

I waste 3 more turns healing troops and capturing a 3rd city which nails WvO's coffin.
Spoiler :

Meanwhile, I've assigned 4~5 coastal cities to build a navy, therefore I attack SB and Shaka the following turn. This summary will be very short, it was Cavalry+Bombers+Frigates vs Longbows+War Elephants+Triremes
Spoiler :

Shaka waves goodbye.
Spoiler :

So does Sitting Bull.
Spoiler :

I do declare war on Zara, mainly because he's been annoying me with Privateers, while sinking his wooden ships with Destroyers and blockading him.

But all I need is to wait for borders to pop in the SB/Shaka continent (I put the culture slider at 100% and assign all those cities to build culture).
Spoiler :

For improvements:
-I only built 3 cottages all game long for the capital. The rest were captured.
-Most mines were changed into Windmills as of RP
-Watermills were placed instead of farms at SP
-Workshops were put everywhere after SP where food would allow (I did keep Towns and maturing cottages in captured cities)

As expected, this very powerful start snowballed in a relatively easy map, but I hope it was educational at least!

good game kossin, I think your start was a little on the easy side. But you still need skill and knowledge to be able to take advantage the way you did. Good win

Unfortunately there are many pics that I wasn't able to view... too bad

good game kossin, I think your start was a little on the easy side. But you still need skill and knowledge to be able to take advantage the way you did. Good win

Unfortunately there are many pics that I wasn't able to view... too bad

Yep, I agree it was a uber start although I've seen much better.

Regarding images, can you give me an example? They all seem to load for me.

Oh my god, I never thought to put the culture slider up to speed up the border pops for domination.

I am having the same problems with the pics. I can only see half of them, the other half are 80% grey. Great game man! I learn a couple of things for example:
-Binary research at the beginning
-Telling you vassals to research other techs
etc.

Thx!

Loved your write-up Kossin, awesome work taking it to deity.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this game, especially the level of info you provided on your micro management. Often I think to myself, "This time I'm going to be really super smart and micro effectively!", and then don't really know how to pull it off.

Now where's that bow smilie? Ah, there we go!

:worship: :bowdown:

I can see all the pictures just fine.

The problem with viewing the pictures is probably due to a slow internet connection.
In that case, I'll assume they are fine.

Loved your write-up Kossin, awesome work taking it to deity.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this game, especially the level of info you provided on your micro management. Often I think to myself, "This time I'm going to be really super smart and micro effectively!", and then don't really know how to pull it off.

Now where's that bow smilie? Ah, there we go!

:worship: :bowdown:

Micro-management is easy to replicate once you've seen it done, it's discovering it for the first time that's difficult. Ever since I've been playing deity, I've learned a bunch of small tricks to make the game easier for myself.

I went to check my first Deity game a few days ago... wow was I bad!

The problem is of course, to catch those small details. I would suggest reading or even joining some of the SGOTMs (whenever the next one will start), they are a treasure trove for those small details.

~~~

If there is interest, I might run another game like this one. It certainly would not be updated as often as the holidays are now over.

kossin,

thank you soo much for starting such a detailed lets play and investing the time in such a detailed report on the game...although I am far from playing deity, this is so much inspiration and useful tricks on how to keep up in tech and power with the civs, I guess, this will also work on lower levels. Just for fun, I will try to play your same following your postings - learning by doing with guidance works best for me ;) I was always wondering how someone is able to finish domination so long before the 1800s, but this gave me an idea.

Cheers

~~~

If there is interest, I might run another game like this one. It certainly would not be updated as often as the holidays are now over.

That would be terrific...perhaps a pangea conquest? I've never seen one before, especially not documented in detail...

Awesome thread Kossin. Very enlightening.

For the statement below, I don't understand the reasoning for why you are saying what you are saying. Please clue me in! How does the order that you research these techs affect the AI?

Turn 100 - Turn 115 (1AD)
Next up: Paper... too early for Philosophy still and I want to slow down the AI's Liberalism path.

I try to avoid trading paper or philosophy to the AI unless there is only one AI without that tech, or if I am almost finished with Edu. The AI can come out of nowhere to beat me to liberalism on deity.

Awesome thread Kossin. Very enlightening.

For the statement below, I don't understand the reasoning for why you are saying what you are saying. Please clue me in! How does the order that you research these techs affect the AI?

I try to avoid trading paper or philosophy to the AI unless there is only one AI without that tech, or if I am almost finished with Edu. The AI can come out of nowhere to beat me to liberalism on deity.

Quite simply, Roosevelt already had Philosophy so researching it would not slow him down from going to Liberalism nor any other AI further. Getting Paper however might dissuade some AIs (due to UoS... don't quote me on this one). It is known via code digging that getting Philosophy first will slow down the AI from getting it (they don't pursue as aggressively religious techs once the religion is taken).

'Too early' was meant with regards to my preparation to run a Golden Age and spawn 3 great persons under Caste+Pacifism... the capital was ready but not the other 2 cities.

Finally, I did not say I was going to trade these techs, as a matter of fact I never or rarely trade these techs while the Lib race is still not clear to me.

Thanks for the detailed write-ups, kossin and AbsoluteZero. Two very detailed write-ups and very different approaches. I learnt a lot.

I've been shadowing this game as well but am only just getting around to posting as I wanted to remain unspoiled. My early game seemed similar to kossin's although I settled in place. However, I decided against tackling Mansa early on after I got him to friendly and then discovered how backwards the rest of the world was.

At 1665AD I've vassalized everyone except Roosevelt (weak, at war with Mansa) and MM himself. I actually vassalized Willem twice after he refused my second oil demand (anyone know the game mechanic for this - when will a vassal agree, and when will they refuse such a demand)?

Now it's time to take on Mansa. He has just declared on Roosevelt and taken a couple of cities. He has some pretty huge stacks and a slight tech lead on me (Bombers and Guided Missiles, plus a *much* bigger artillery stack) but I think this is the time to strike, before he completely rolls over Roosevelt.

Interestingly, MM has just turned off his research and is running 100% culture... :crazyeye: He is still 60 turns from cultural victory so I could just wait some turns for Modern Armor etc and crush him then, but looking at kossin and AZ's finish times I'm already feeling way behind the curve.. :blush:

Thanks again for the write-ups and for what has been a fun game. Cheers! :goodjob:

Looks like an interesting game. Don't worry about finishing dates, you're doing fine.

I'd suggest bribing Peace if you can. Vassaling MM will be easier if he doesn't have a vassal of his own... he tends to bend the knee quite hastily. As soon as you get Bombers next turn, build about 20 and DoW Mansa. You really don't need more than that.

Thanks Kossin.

I did build a few bombers (not 20 though - lacking places to station them as I'd already sent most of my workers to cover the Shaka / SB continent in workshops and watermills) and DOW'd on MM just a couple of turns after my last screenshot.

Took 2 border cities, then Timbuktu (six settled GG and the Pentagon :lol:) which triggered the capitulation. Took the UN diplo-domination win a couple of turns later.

My first SP Deity win! :band:

Thanks again for the game.

Interesting fact: cities are connected via rivers/coast inside your culture even if you lack fishing. Therefore this city brings an immediate 4 commerce to the empire:
+1 from trade route to the capital
+1 from trade route to this city
+1 from the city tile
+1 from the tile worked
-2 gpt upkeep

An early second city connected to your network is always a positive.

Ah brilliant. I'm learning some stuff here. I always wondered why sometimes my trade network could be set up via river/coast before sailing (I think you meant sailing rather than fishing).

I think I might be resurrecting a very old thread here seen as its now 2012 :p . But no harm done. This is a good read.

Interesting fact: cities are connected via rivers/coast inside your culture even if you lack fishing. Therefore this city brings an immediate 4 commerce to the empire:
+1 from trade route to the capital
+1 from trade route to this city
+1 from the city tile
+1 from the tile worked
-2 gpt upkeep

An early second city connected to your network is always a positive.

Ah brilliant. I'm learning some stuff here. I always wondered why sometimes my trade network could be set up via river/coast before sailing and sometimes not (I think you meant sailing rather than fishing).

I think I might be resurrecting a very old thread here seen as its now 2012 :p . But no harm done. This is a good read.

Top Bottom