Rat 42 - CCM Heading to the Moon

That would be great--good to see you playing again. :goodjob:

How many separate times have you paid for Civ III now? Wouldn't it have been cheaper just to buy Firaxis? ;)

great to have you back Greebley:goodjob:

NP, I don't have a start yet, you have to generate one yourself :D

Germany, pangaea, 5 billion years, deity.

lurker's comment: signing into the peanut gallery... I'm looking forward to this one

Fine, I'll generate a start.

I wish you much luck for your "Heading to the Moon". :)

And as I know you will abuse Britain and France with their special possibility to form alliances, I have created a new CCM biq 1.7.1 where I removed that option for both civs and gave back Britain the commercial and France the industrial trait. This should provide you with a better gameplay.

As I did the changes in that biq very quickly, please look, if all 31 civs are included at the start and there is no one set to random.

And as I know you will abuse Britain and France with their special possibility to form alliances
How do you know that? :mischief:

The new biq seems fine--thanks for keeping Rat's exploitative tendencies under control. ;)

There are a few parameters we haven't discussed. Do we want 60% water and normal AI aggression?

A lot of land sounds good, so 60% water and normal aggression I'd say. Barbs sedentary if you like

My apologies, lurkers and gentlemen. ;) It's been one thing after another this evening, and now I'm not going to get to this tonight. The first turns may not involve a lot of units but they require careful thought, and I don't want to play when I'm tired. So, Rat, feel free to start the game when your schedule permits--or I'm sure it would be fine for someone else to do it.

ok then, I'll get this going this afternoon...

I know this is last minute but before we start I think we should consider getting The Pyramids in the First Age (Ancient Empires). It is available with Masonry, so it is a Tier One wonder. Normally (C3C) I avoid all the Ancient Wonders but in CCM this one is special. It generates an Egyptian Settler every 30 turns. The price tag is 300 shields.

Civs that start with Masonry are:
  • Canada (IND/COM)
  • Carthage (IND/SEA)
  • China (IND/MIL)
  • Egypt (IND/AGR)
  • France (COM/DIP)
  • Inca (IND/EXP)
  • Indo-China (IND/AGR)
  • Korea (IND/COM)
  • Maya (IND/AGR)
  • Netherlands (COM/SEA)
  • Persia (IND/MIL)
  • Ottomans (IND/MIL)
  • USA (IND/SCI)

If we were able to build The Pyramids on Turn 1, we would get an Egyptian Settler on Turn 31 and 61, in addition to normal settlers on Turns 21, 41 and 61. Five settlers instead of three.

Since we cannot build any settlers until we learn Atomic Theory, which is midway through the Third Age/Industrial Ages, having an extra settler every 30 turns sounds pretty good. In Rat41 we learned Atomic Theory in 1858 AD, Turn 337. That was an Always War variant, and this one is not, so we should get smarter faster in Rat42 than Rat41.

This may not be a good plan of action at Diety. I am still learning my way around in CCM and the lack of settlers and cities is a bit jarring to me.

Interesting thought.

I hold on with playing and want to know what others think of this.

I thought about it a bit more and tested a little, I think this idea is not viable as the AI will easily beat you to this wonder on deity with their massive bonuses that they receive.

On top of that I think we can easily take cities from nearby Civs for our expansion. There isn't really much need for added settlers if you ask me.

Pre turn
ok, setup is
Pangaea, 60% water, no barbs, normal aggression
we are the Germans

Turn 1 - 4000BC
found Berlin on the spot, this reveals a game
Berlin is set on slavers hut
send worker to mine the BG

second settler sent east
research at minimum for IW

Turn 5 - 3750BC
found Leipzig in forest terrain, no overlap with our capital
start worker houses

Turn 9 - 3550BC
Leipzig finishes Worker houses and starts on a scout first
we need them to explore to find settler spots and the AI

Turn 10 - 3500BC
borders of Berlin expand and the game is within our borders now
city grows to 2 and lux needs to be set to 20%

Turn 12 - 3400BC
worker finishes BG mine, starts to road
slavers hut now down to 4

Turn 13 - 3350BC
first scout is out
we meet Japan, they are up sail and know both our starting techs

Turn 14 - 3300BC
we meet Rome, who are also up sail, I am sure they met

Turn 16 - 3200BC
slavers hut is done, start a warrior, we better protect ourselves here with 2 AI's so close

Turn 17 - 3150BC
we get a second scout and start German flag, we need expanded borders here
Rome now knows masonry

Turn 18 - 3100BC
we have a first MP warrior in Berlin
Rome knows polytheism, that's fast

as we have to go for 80% max, leave lux at 10%

Turn 19 - 3050BC
run into Roman borders, they are really close

Turn 20 - 3000BC
we get our first autoproduced settler and can decide where to send it to
we need to produce troops to protect our workforce and settlers, this game can't be a settler gambit

I would send the settler together with the warrior that has just been produced next turn whichever spot we choose

Leipzig is set on grass this turn as it will finish the flag anyway. It then needs some protection.
It will soon get a worker and we need to chop forest for faster growth and aid some buildings

Rome has gotten the wheel as well and is 4 techs ahead, there must be more AI's nearby. Well, I wanted fast tech speed, but this is a little insane

The situation

Roster

ThERat - just played
Northern Pike - up
Elephantium
CommandoBob
Greebley

How do you know that? :mischief:

There was a discussion at the CCM thread not long ago about the diplomatic trait of Britain and France and "how to use them". I remember these posts and draw my conclusions based (partly) on them how to improve CCM. :)

That said, in my current SID game (yes, I am still surviving), France seems to be able to get military alliances with everyone. Is that some sort of bug?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10079073&postcount=886

No; it's supposed to be a new, made-up trait in this mod called "Diplomatic". France and Great Britain have it. Basically, they can make military alliances, regardless of their level of technology. My understanding is that this is possible through a non-researchable tech that enables MAs, given to France and GB at the start through the editor.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10079198&postcount=887

Thanks for that explanation, makes sense. I better don't attack France then.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10079587&postcount=888

Yes, as I have played Inca,I did "use" France and Britain. Good pawns. Killing off many civs w/o railroads is not easy,as you can't get to them.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10082673&postcount=891

I'm seeing four promising spots for our next city. One is 1E of the mountain; it will get the Wheat and both sugars on border growth.

The second is also next to the wheat -- just on the coast.

The third is the hill at the mouth of Leipzig's river, next to the fish. The downside of this spot is that it would share a tile with Leipzig.

The fourth spot is next to the cow at the edge of the plains. That might be too close to the AI, though.

I've got it.

I think I'll put our third city somewhere east of Leipzig, though just where will require careful thought.

Top Bottom