RAND 1.76 Balancing and Suggestions

I still think that revolutions are very weak in this mod. Empires are expanding all over the place right from the start without having any problems with uprisings.

Like several other factors, I've never seen a mod where people say that they agree on this.

Frankly, I think 1.76 is the best balance I've gotten thus far. If it's too easy, increase the difficulty.

I've been playing the beta release 5, and so far I am very satisfied with the fine tuning of civics, and techs and units. So keep up the good work, direction is right! :goodjob:

I especially like those short civic descriptions and the generally simplified bonusing system they have. (Or at least the civics seem to be more straightforward and easier to grasp with their effects.)
Fine tuning is carefully done. This is also true with fine tuning of the building bonuses.

Of course, the removed civics bring several XML error messages when starting the game/mod, but this is minor problem and easy to solve (next release hopefully has new favourite civics assigned to those leaders who got theirs' removed.)

Another very minor nuisance is the global graphics for some buildings. For example, the Hellenic Temple has this black shroud around it. No hindrance for gameplay, but annoying when zooming on cities and taking screenshots. :p

Also, some buildings are occasionally displayed so close to each other that they overlap, or get walls running through them. I don't know how easy it would be to clean up the building graphics, but if someone has more experience with this, please at least shed some light on the issue. :crazyeye:

Like several other factors, I've never seen a mod where people say that they agree on this.

Frankly, I think 1.76 is the best balance I've gotten thus far. If it's too easy, increase the difficulty.

I just remembered that in LoR empires would crumble quickly if they tried to expand beyond a handful of cities early on. Later, with better culture producing building and more wide spread religions and such, this wasn't as much of a deal anymore.

After making my post I compared the Revolution.ini of LoR and the newest RoM:AND and found out that the RevStrength values where 1.0(lor) and 0.5(and) and the buildup-value for revolution'ess for the AI is also lower: 0.8(and) compared to 1.0(lor).

Maybe this is a balancing thing in and to fill up large or huge maps with less civs. I just liked that there was more fluctuation in appearing and breaking nations over the course of a game in LoR, never had this very much with any RoM modmod.

I just remembered that in LoR empires would crumble quickly if they tried to expand beyond a handful of cities early on. Later, with better culture producing building and more wide spread religions and such, this wasn't as much of a deal anymore.

After making my post I compared the Revolution.ini of LoR and the newest RoM:AND and found out that the RevStrength values where 1.0(lor) and 0.5(and) and the buildup-value for revolution'ess for the AI is also lower: 0.8(and) compared to 1.0(lor).

Maybe this is a balancing thing in and to fill up large or huge maps with less civs. I just liked that there was more fluctuation in appearing and breaking nations over the course of a game in LoR, never had this very much with any RoM modmod.

The revolution strength value could probably be a touch higher. I find it very easy to fight off revolutions now. I do recall a time in ages past when revolutions were scary hard to fight off, and I'm glad we are not there. The actual incidence of revolution is very well balanced right now. Expand too fast, with conquered cities in enemy culture zones, or across islands and you will experience revolts. Expansion has to be done very methodically to keep an empire stable.

Is it true that you have removed the switch to turn off fixed borders in AND 1.76?
I am asking due to the issue that cultural conquest does not seem possible anymore.
(Reference: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=428575)

In my opinion a switch to turn off fixed borders as it was in earlier versions would be nice.
If this cannot be done for some reason, can you please clarify what this means for cultural conquest of cities?
Also in case cultural conquest is no longer possible due to fixed borders it would be good to remove the switches for turning on and off cultural conquest, because these would be confusing for people like me who are very fond of cultural conquest.

I do like the idea about fixed borders but in the games I have played so far with it turned on, it never worked out in a nice way. Is the way fixed borders works explained in some thread in this forum? Or is it still being modified a lot so that the explanation (documentation) has been postponed so far?

My neighbour and I both have Monarchy so we have fixed borders. I take 2 squares which are 2 squares from my city and also 2 squares from his city. Then I make peace.

Still after my units leave the squares they revert to his ownership. Is this a bug?

Unfortunately No. You have to leave a unit on the tile.

Once you and your neighbor adopt a Civic like republic or democracy then fixed borders are removed. But be aware, if the neighbor stays with Monarchy (fixed borders) and You switch to Rep or dem you will lose many tiles to him. This is supposed to get fixed in the next release.

JosEPh :)

I was wondering, if the city selection site code could be looked at. I still find myself razing at least 75% of ai founded cities, because they are in such annoying places (a classic example, is building just 1 tile away from the coast and thus rendering 6+ tiles useless.

Here's a screenshot example

The "h" is my marker..I'd just demolished a barb city built on the blue circle. WHY??? does it want a new city built back there? It's not even a difficult choice. The blue circle misses the copper, the furs and a grassland forest. The whole area is readily irrigatable. It's also too far from Ariminum, and trying to squeeze a city in between is a pointless idea.

Here's a wider view after founding the city.

Another unrelated point, is the early ai making insane dashes across half a continent to settle on stone for example. In that Rome game, the Incas settled their 2nd city 20 (twenty) tiles away from their cap, right on Rome's border, just to get some access to stone. They will then try to make the world's longest cart path to it, and get killed in the process. Not to mention the maintenance, and that it's basically an act of war ;)

Thanks for reading.........

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 530
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 506
I just finished another game. AI much tougher than it used to be.

Idk if that's normal or not, but I haven't got any resource bonus from jungle camps. And I had plenty of them. I got 2-3 resources from farms, and lots (20+) from mines. I checked xmls and it looks fine. Any thought on that?

Here's another example of amazingly bad city placement:= Rostov

Ok, I'd constantly fought Russia and kept pushing them back, but what on earth is Rostov doing there, just built? The Ivory and Rice are already accounted for, and it's losing out on it's sea tiles, the fresh water lake becoming a good tile with a lighthouse, and all other coastal buildings that would benefit it. It's an absolute "nothing" city.
One to the NW, and it becomes fresh water AND coastal based, and can maybe compete for the Iron eventually, two to the SW and it takes in the Deer and Rice, while remaining coastal.
The only possible benefit where it is, is that it's on a hill, which to my mind should have a much smaller weighting in it's founding decisions, especially when it makes the city a pointless build.

It's starting to drive me slightly mad ;)......rant over.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 488
After yesterday evenings last session, somehow close to a domination victory, I still think that great commanders are completely overpowered. I am having one with 7 promotion ans can basically take every city even with a lot of rifleman inside with cannons and cavalery without loosing one single unit. I guess in my future games I will turn them off, making conquest more difficult, again.

ok, i just noticed, that gold doesn't give bonuses in cities. ie, if you have access to gold, you still won't be able to build jewelry or you won't get bonus on construction of some buildings.

ok, i just noticed, that gold doesn't give bonuses in cities. ie, if you have access to gold, you still won't be able to build jewelry or you won't get bonus on construction of some buildings.

yes, I have reproted this in the bug section but it was somehow ignored. guys, please take a look at this issue!

it also occurs, when you do not run coinage

I can confirm this.. I have the resources (i.e. I can trade them) but I can't use them myself. Was an unpleasant surprise. AND I believe that this was the case for silver as well, anybody else notice this too?

Suggest to look into the logic selecting inside a city which tile should be worked.
An example a tile is worked with 2 grain and 1 hammer.
a tile is not worked with 6 grain and 1 commerce.

The automation is selected to standard.
The city has +1 health and +5 happiness and all fine. I am not building a wonder. So why should the automatic logic not let the city grow?

Discovered a fixed borders problem:
I haven't left my country for a long time (many turns). When I discovered Republic I sent an explorer out and found a place far away from my country where I own some land. Very funny. Even a square only 1 square away from a city belongs to me. Some tiles say 1% my country some say 0% my country.
I am still running monarchy (so I have fixed borders)

Suggest to look into the logic selecting inside a city which tile should be worked.
An example a tile is worked with 2 grain and 1 hammer.
a tile is not worked with 6 grain and 1 commerce.

The automation is selected to standard.
The city has +1 health and +5 happiness and all fine. I am not building a wonder. So why should the automatic logic not let the city grow?

An ai city or one of yours that is automated? Uses totally different logic (don't ask me why).

I'm affraid maps are very unbalanced in this mod. Not the entire game, but maps! I had a game round this week and got corn near my capital. Soon my capital population was 15 and I had 10 cities. Almost all AI players had 2-3 cities. Several ones - even with population 1-2! When I researched Vassalage, I got almost all AI as vassals. I can't believe AI capital on immortal difficulty has only 1 citizen when I have 15!

Not sure what is wrong, maybe barbarians too crazy, will test more. But this problem is on perfect worlds, random script map, continents and other maps. Something wrong with maps or AI.

Top Bottom