Download and Installation

Xyth

History Rewritten

"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."
- Winston Churchill

Version 1.25 released 13th December 2021
Armenians, Scythians, Economic Agreements, Military Pacts, New Music, and much more!​

Download

Compatibilty

History Rewritten requires BTS 3.19 running in English. It is 100% Mac and Windows compatible.

Installation
  1. Rename, move or delete any previous installation of History Rewritten
  2. Extract the downloaded archive (7zip)
  3. Move the resulting "History Rewritten" folder to the correct location (see below)
  4. Done!

History Rewritten needs to be installed in the same location as all the mods that came with BTS (Gods of Old, Road to War, etc). This location may vary a little on each system but the correct path should closely resemble one of the following:

OSX: /Applications/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods/

OSX (Steam): ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Mods/

Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sid Meier's Civilization IV\Beyond the Sword\Mods\

Windows (Steam): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\

Note that BTS has two mod folders; one in the same location as the BTS application itself and one somewhere in /Documents/ or \MyDocuments\. History Rewritten will not work if installed in one of the Documents locations.

It will also fail to run if the folder is renamed. It should be named "History Rewritten" with no version number appended. Also be sure that your unarchiving software has not 'double-nested' the mod folder - there should not be a History Rewritten folder inside another History Rewritten folder.

Notes

If you want History Rewritten to launch automatically when you start BTS, edit the file /Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CivilizationIV.ini'. Look for the line 'Mod = 0' and change it to 'Mod = Mods/History Rewritten'.

If you have any problems downloading or installing History Rewritten please consult the Troubleshooting and F.A.Q. thread. The most common problems are detailed there, with solutions.

Last edited:
Credits

History Rewritten has been designed and created by Xyth, but owes a debt of gratitude for both inspiration and content to these particular individuals:

• Platyping, for his valuable Python work
• Karadoc, for the essential K-Mod
• Bakuel, for his absolutely incredible unit sets
• Ekmek, creator of many great leaderheads
• The Capo, for many excellent leaderheads, units, and ideas
• Geomodder, for his groundwork with cultural citystyles
• Hrochland, for a lot of great building art
• ColdFever, for the beautiful Blue Marble terrain
• Azoth, for great ideas and helpful critique
• Simon_Jester, for his outstanding contributions to the pedia
• IanMusic, for his wonderful additions to the music​

Other people deserving credit for content or assistance: AlanH, Ambrox62, Amra, Asaf, avain, Baldyr, Cephalo, cfkane, charle88, Chugginator, Coffee Junkie, Cybrxkhan, Danrell, EmperorFool, esnaz, evilcoward, God-Emperor, IgorS, JustATourist, Lemon Merchant, Leoreth, LunarMongoose, MadmanOfALeader, mechaerik, Melcher Kürzer, MethylOrange, mourndraken, NotSoGood, Novator, OrionVeteran, pencilgod, ruff_hi, saibotlieh, Sakhr, s.bernbaum, Sevo, Temudjin, The Almighty dF, The J, Tsentom1, veBear, Walter Hawkwood, Willowmound, Zerver.

Thank you also to the players and testers, past and present, whose feedback has helped to refine History Rewritten better than I could ever manage alone: AbsintheRed, Absolution, ales_, Andrewicus, atirtanadi, BBQ_man, Boggy, cel10, civ_king, davidtylr, dretnoth, Eucalyptus, Howard Mahler, inasnapp, Jarlaxe Baenre, KeeperOT7Keys, Keinpferd, keldath, Lachlan, lindsay40k, Little Faith, Mr. Sulu, myclan, Nightstar, PlaysCiv, rsab, Skidizzle, Skwink Caesar, SpartanU, tchristensen, wanderm.

Last edited:
Is there any possibility of an alternate download source? I've tried to download from your link 5 times and it always seems to have problems downloading 1/3 of the way through (It slows down so much it might as well have stopped.)

There is an alternate download source linked on the downloads page. Not very prominently though, I'll adjust it.

So I downloaded the file into the right place, and I downloaded the patches into the correct locations, but I can't find the mod when I run the game... Am I missing something? It should be listed with all the other scenarios, right? Any advice?

So I downloaded the file into the right place, and I downloaded the patches into the correct locations, but I can't find the mod when I run the game... Am I missing something? It should be listed with all the other scenarios, right? Any advice?

It should be listed when you select "Load a Mod". If it's not, doublecheck that the folder is not doublenested; it should be /Beyond the Sword/Mods/History Rewritten, not /Beyond the Sword/Mods/History Rewritten/History Rewritten/. Check the Troubleshooting thread for more tips, but let me know if it's still not working and I'll see if I can help. I'll need to know whether you're running OSX or Windows and if you're using the Steam version or not.

Does your mod have a 50 civ dll or no? And if not it should be compatible right? Im on Windows 7 64bit if it matters.

Does your mod have a 50 civ dll or no? And if not it should be compatible right? Im on Windows 7 64bit if it matters.

History Rewritten doesn't include a custom DLL at all. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be compatible with a 50 civ DLL, give it a try. BULL (from BUG) should work fine too.

Location on 64-bit Windows is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Location on 64-bit Windows is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Ah, thanks!

I just installed your Mod (new computer) and I did say I was going to fix up an Earth map
:D

It should be listed when you select "Load a Mod". If it's not, doublecheck that the folder is not doublenested; it should be /Beyond the Sword/Mods/History Rewritten, not /Beyond the Sword/Mods/History Rewritten/History Rewritten/. Check the Troubleshooting thread for more tips, but let me know if it's still not working and I'll see if I can help. I'll need to know whether you're running OSX or Windows and if you're using the Steam version or not.

I'm afraid I'm also having this problem. I'm almost certain I've followed the (very simple) installation instructions properly. Actually, I have this problem with every mod, and haven't yet figured out why, but I finally made an account just to ask. I know there's a way to create a new path into the load a mod menu but I forgot how.

I have Beyond the Sword for OSX on Steam. Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm afraid I'm also having this problem. I'm almost certain I've followed the (very simple) installation instructions properly. Actually, I have this problem with every mod, and haven't yet figured out why, but I finally made an account just to ask. I know there's a way to create a new path into the load a mod menu but I forgot how.

I have Beyond the Sword for OSX on Steam. Thanks in advance for any help.

Please post the exact path for where you've placed History Rewritten. I'm not very familiar with Steam and its quirks but i'll see what I can do.

Note that OSX has 2 different Library folders: one is in your home directory (alongside Music, Documents, etc). The other is in the root directory of your HD (alongside Applications, System, etc). The second one is the correct one.

Well, now I'm truly confused. You're right that there are two Library folders and I have it in the wrong one. However, Macintosh HD>Library>Application Support does not contain a Steam folder.

When modding other games, the path has always been Admin>Library>Application Support>Steam>SteamApps>Common>[Game]. :confused: I dropped the folder in BTS>Mods like you said. So that seemed right...

I'm aware that other people with the Steam version have this problem but I don't believe that it's impossible. I'm just not sure where I can look to have this cleared up. Thanks.

It is confusing and it's due to a bug or oversight in the Mac version of BTS; where mods with certain changes will only run from the location of the included mods like Afterworld, Road to War and such are. This location is the Mods folder that's in the same folder as the BTS application itself.

Steam makes the whole process even more confusing too.

Have a browse around your system and see if you can find the BTS application or one of the standard mods. Wherever those are is where you want History Rewritten to be.

Ahh, no kidding. I did find a separate folder named MODS after poking around for not very long. Sure enough, History Rewritten appeared on the mods list. It didn't actually load but a different mod did. So that's progress. I'll look into it some more later. Thanks for the tip :goodjob:

Hi,

I have trouble extracting the mod, this is the screen I get, any suggestions so I can play this fantastic looking mod??

Attachments

• History Rewritten problem.jpg
    History Rewritten problem.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 375
Hi,

I have trouble extracting the mod, this is the screen I get, any suggestions so I can play this fantastic looking mod??

Strange, I've not had any trouble with those files before. They're part of the included BUG Mod and are used to open BUG's help pages in your web browser (5 language variations). It looks like the rest of the mod extracted without issue though so HR should run fine without them.

I try to us UnRarx for the mod, but it keeps telling me that "History Rewritten 1.19.7z is not RAR archive
No files to extract"
What's going on?

I try to us UnRarx for the mod, but it keeps telling me that "History Rewritten 1.19.7z is not RAR archive
No files to extract"
What's going on?

It's a 7zip archive. If you're on Mac, grab 'The Unarchiver' from the Mac App Store. If you're on Windows, you can find 7-zip here.

Top Bottom