[RFC Europe] The Empire of the North

As part of this story, the next update will be a perspective on the Viking raids on England and the fall of York written in the present day by J. Schiegg, S&T university professor of Medieval History.

No, this is not a joke. Hopefully, there will be more of these, to give you more background on the story world.

cool, profesional help:popcorn:

As part of this story, the next update will be a perspective on the Viking raids on England and the fall of York written in the present day by J. Schiegg, S&T university professor of Medieval History.

No, this is not a joke. Hopefully, there will be more of these, to give you more background on the story world.
How interesting :D

Hmmmm, Mercia eh? Nice joke there SouthernKing :)

This I will be watching, along with about a dozen other stories. Good work so far SouthernKing!
:popcorn:

Thanks Tycho :)

Oh yes, It may interest you to know that I have played up to 970-ish. I have taken Edinburgh, Paris, Bordeaux, and Naples, barely prevented a total collapse, and am now striking deep into the heart of Germany. The Germans have a city called Ulm in my game...and...well, I will just let you figure it out yourself :mwaha:

Thanks Tycho :)

Oh yes, It may interest you to know that I have played up to 970-ish. I have taken Edinburgh, Paris, Bordeaux, and Naples, barely prevented a total collapse, and am now striking deep into the heart of Germany. The Germans have a city called Ulm in my game...and...well, I will just let you figure it out yourself :mwaha:

If you burn Ulm, me and Civ'ed will revolt. So don't you dare. DON'T YOU DARE!

Burn Ulm.

Inside the walls of Burdigala, King Vitalstatistix stepped out onto his palace balcony. Well, it was not really a palace in the usual sense. It was simply the largest house in the crumbling Roman stone city of Burdigala. The house had once belonged to the prefect of the Roman province of Aquitana. But now, it belonged to Vitalstatistix, the last of the Gauls.

Vitalstatistix looked down upon the city. Under the Romans, Burdigala had been a magnificent port city. But the Romans were four centuries gone. Gaul, now France, was, in the Year of the Christian Lord 856, a patchwork of three major kingdoms: Frankia, Burgundy, and what Vitalstatistix reigned over, Aquitaine. This was the last Gaulish state in all the world. Vitalstatistix's ancestor had united the people of this region under one flag shortly after Rome had retreated from the western coast of Gaul under pressure from Frankish and Germanic invaders. And that was what Vitalstatistix still ruled.

Vitalstatistix heard a commotion in the harbor. He looked over and saw a large group of people pointing off into the distance. Vitalstatistix saw what they were pointing at and his knees grew week and shaky. Clearly, there was an armada of dragon-headed ships with red and white striped sails. The king's jaw went slack as he saw the ships heading directly for Burdigala.

Everyone across Europe by this point had heard tales of the Vikings. Their rapid conquest of England had sent shockwaves across the continent. Kings and rulers all over France and Germany were worried that they might be the next to fall. Where the northern frontier of the Kingdom of Germany was, settlers refused to go northwards, for they had seen Norse hunting parties. The settlers simply ran in extreme fear.

Vitalstatistix stood there, frozen in fear. His legs had turned to jelly. He was afraid. Very afraid. In the streets, the curiosity was turning to sheer panic. Some were packing up and attempting to flee the city. Some had decided that they would take a stand against the Vikings. And some, just waking up, yawning and confused, had no clue as to what was going on.

Vitalstatistix regained control and decided to head down to the harbor. There was a large crowd there gawking at the ships at sea. He rallied the crowd as the spoke. "We may go down today. But we will go down fighting!" The crowd roared. "Men of fighting age. Gather any arms and armor you can find, and gather back here. We shall protect our great city!" The crowd roared again. "All others shall head east to Tolosa. We shall be ready to fight within the hour!" The crowd roared, this time the loudest roar of all.

Vitalstatistix was amazed at how quickly his men assembled. They had gathered a stock of old Roman arms and armor. Vitalstatistix himself was using a Roman gladius. The battle was near.

There was an extended moment of silence as the dragon ships inched ever closer to the harbor. Tensions were high. The moment seemed to last ages.

Roar.

A wave of Norsemen brandishing large axes and horned helmets charged into the city. A volley of arrows came from the defenders, taking down a few of the Vikings. But the wave continued to advance. Vitalstatistix felt his groin grow warm with fluid. His legs were shaky. He had never seen real combat before.

The Viking wave slammed into the front line of the defenders. Arrows flew but did little. There was the distinct clanking of metal against metal, axe against sword, the sound of metal cutting through flesh, the guttural roars of adrenaline-pumped fighting men.

Vitalstatistix let his instincts take over. He blocked one axe, then stabbed its owner in the stomach, then quickly removed it and slashed the chest of another Viking. He stood his ground, trying to hold off the assault.

It was already in vain. To Vitalstatistix's right, the defenders' line had been breached. Vikings now poured through the hole into the city. Vitalstatistix yelled. "Fall back! Fall back to the forum! Hold them back!" As he finished saying this, Vitalstatistix was clubbed in the back by a Viking axe. He fell, but quickly got back up and whirled around and swung his sword at the Viking holding the axe. The two dueled for a short time, Vitalstatistix blocking the axe with his sword.

There was the sickening crack of metal. Vitalstatistix's gladius had broken in half after repeated axe blows. Vitalstatistix stood there for a second, stunned, before coming to his senses and running for his life. He smelled the smoke from burning buildings and wood.

Vitalstatistix arrived at the Burdigala forum. The fighting there was going horribly for the defenders. The Vikings had the square surrounded on three sides, and they were about to completely encircle the forum. Vitalstatistix yelled. "Fall back! Run to Tolosa! Salvage what you can!" What Vitalstatistix did not know was that the Vikings had sent some men around that were blocking the road. It would soon turn into a bloodbath. There was nowhere to go. The defenders would all die.

Suddenly, Vitalstatistix ran into two Vikings. He tried to back up but tripped and fell on his back. One of the Vikings bent down and positioned the blade of his axe on Vitalstatistix's neck. "So you're the king here? The Hawk will reward us well for this..." He lifted the axe.

It came thundering down.
Spoiler :

Awesome :cool:

Ah, the Gauls... :D

Great update SouthernKing! So far this is shaping up to be quite good, and I am following it quite closely.

Wow. Way to sneak that one in there SouthernKing. :lol:

update is ready and depedning on laziness, motivation, and other factors should come sometime within the next few days.

Once this story is done I have planned out my next story. I plan for that story to be quite unique. You will see once it happens :p

Top Bottom