AbNESVII .•°*”˜ The Many Coloured Lands ˜”*°•.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Update 2.

Sagenta rapidly expands, as well as paying to support its Sages in establishing schools which may teach the local children about the world, and how it is flat and was built by Catal, Feder, Gias and Neptor. The Temple of the Four Divinities construction is started. It will be a grand building with plans of it becoming the focal point of pilgrimages once it is finished. Some tribes have happily joined Sagenta, but others are not so trusting and are begging to band together in resistance.

Therita is not so agressive in its expansion, it desires trade more than anything. A Great Harbour is being constructed to facilitate this. They gain contact with Aisonia when it sends its Curragh. At first they were fearful of it, but once a rudimentary communication system was in place, trade begin to flow between the two nations. There has not just been economic gain, but technological gain as ideas flow between the two nations. This was not all Aisonia was busy with however. They rapidly expanded down the coast, capturing two settlements. Any metal they capture is ingeniously recycled in a great forge that is undergoing construction in the capital. They have not enslaved these people, but they are a distinct class, lower than the Aisonians. A child born to them is considered an Aisonian. There is a build up of resentment from surrounding settlements which have not yet been taken.

Viminala is also looking to the water for its trade, it begins the development of a new settlement, Ashia on the coast downriver from its capital. It also constructs a road between the two, hoping with the infrastructure there, over time people will settle and develop it themselves. It is met with inquisitive Algonquin Sabinia ships and a similar effect is seen. Elsewhere in Algonquin the land is tilled and improved. The two kings, Alboin and Bergamo are so pleased with progress that they pass down some of their power to the Princesses who are charged with being leading examples to the women of the island.

Illyrian mines continue to haul out more metal, the abundancy means their warriors will be better equipped once it is completed.

The Danish Ulfs' continue to hack their way through any rivalry. A victory horn is blown and the milk drunk from the skulls of their enemies. A settlement is established on the shores of the mainland and with the Law being chiselled into Runes, the populace is highly confident of its King. This has not come without a cost however, the outlying land is a lot more hostile, with several potential rivals springing up.

Ostava trains up 2,000 warriors and pushes out into the lands around it. With all this new land under its control farming is to be organized by a small group of leaders selected due to ability from each village in order to increase the production of food for the nation. With leaders elected, consumption of grain products not made into bread is prohibited on every day of the year, except during great festivals and celebrations. The people are fed and they are happy.

Messape begins to extablish better farmland around its capital, as well as expanding outwards with its warriors

Eruar expands and sets of a spark of civilization that might be difficult to extinguish. Many towns begin to grown on the fertile banks of the rivers, and several converge into nations states. A Canal is under construction between the two rivers at the heart of Eruar, with its completion promised to bring great wealth from the trade it will generate. There is political strength between most of these nations, with the families in power often interrelated. Eruar is the most powerful currently, but all are experiencing rapid growth.

Carthage cautiously looks around its local area. Its ships being landing on a nearby land the sailors are calling Sicily. The Great Temple of Fate is constructed at the cost of all the nations gold. Some are not happy about this when there is so much else to do, but they are soon shown the true path in the back rooms of the Temple and now sing its praises. Indeed so grand is the building it single-handedly launches the city into a Religious Centre.

Hada-kesh builds dykes which help control the ebb and flow of the great river. These constructs along with a positive settlement strategy sees the population boom. Fortifications to the South serve as a deterrent to any that may look with greedy eyes upon Hada-kesh.

Aostra looks to its fleet. Trade vessels are constructed as well as the worlds first Unique Unit (UU) the Parazkos. It is the first ship specifically built for combat...since the curragh is nothing but a large rowboat with a small sail and has little naval value.

The Dhyruthi Confederation has dragged itself out of mere tribal politics when a shift of power irrevocably swung towards those who had access to the coast and now dominate the other tribes around them.

Two thousand years ago the ancestors of the Vesten were a fishing people inhabiting the steep valleys and deep fjords of a long forgotten land. Food and drink were plentiful in those times. Everyone gave thanks to the gods and live riteously.

No one knows from where the Get came, but came they did. With their superior technology and countless warriors, the Get drove the ancestors from their homeland and out to the sea.

All that remained after the Great Sacrifice were six elders and a few thousand peasants. For years the ancestors wandered the great sea, happening upon foreign peoples and cultures that scorned and, often, killed the roaming band of outcasts.

But there were some people who accepted the ancestors, and still others found suitable lands that were uninhabited. Slowly the Exodus began to splinter. Each colony that was established claimed an elder as its leader.

The Vesten became the last of the ancestors to settle, after nearly 50 years of Exodus. Upon the uninhabited greenery of their new home, a city was constructed called Sognheim, or "the Last Home."

The Vesten still consider themselves a colony of their people, and much of their mythology remains tied to the ancestors who were driven from their homeland so long ago, though the location of the other colonies remain unknown today.

Spoiler MAP 2 :

Notes:

Ok, you will notice there are a lot of dots and grey area of the map. In these areas you can image towns and even cities that are on the cusp of civilization. Depending on your actions they may spring into being. Capturing the dots is useful. It counts as 1EP of investment to the usual cost of 4EP to build a new city.

Dots will continue to be added to the map as the game progresses, some, if you are lucky within your own land. Thus 3EP investment will result in another city in your land, or 1EP more each turn. This making sense? I hope so.

I am sure there will be mistakes, please don't worry to point them out! Hope this NES is still interesting, lets keep it going. Stories have been rewarded in the stats.. if you think I may have missed you, please say so! :D

The next update will cover the next 50 yeas. Think about how you want your leader to drive your nation, think what projects you might want to begin to shape your nation. Expand, pillage, settle, defend. Do what you wish. Please, ask questions.

I want your orders by FRIDAY EVENING GMT. PM them to me. Quote your Stats, include your nation name in the title.

Music to listen to while you send me orders:

Link to video.

Please, reply to this message, even a "Oy that was crap" is better than silence following an update...

Awesome update, awesome track. I can't wait to see it live next week :p. Orders will come asap. :).

Awwww I didn't get my expansion :(

Sorry man, but your orders were the worst by a long way, and 1000 warriors are not really going to achieve much alone.. you still expanded a bit...

Wow, that expanded a bit farther than I thought it would in all honesty.

I'll send in orders as soon as I can, than hopefully try to create the religion for my nation... rather tempted to try and create a temple similiar to the one above, but I'm rather afraid that that is not a good option at the moment.

Well I can make it smaller if you wish? ;)

lord_joakim sent the best orders this turn. He included a map of the expansion he wanted.

I will be limiting the religious cities in the world... these are meant to be the Mecca's and the Stone Henge's of the Ancient World... they will not be handed out like candy. We will see cities develop into other significance soon.. be it trade or culture. Those give economic benefit too.

Expansion of land and development of it is important. No one is stifled by lack of territory at this point.. it might be a hint to look internally rather than expand like mad.. it could lead to.. issues..

Sorry man, but your orders were the worst by a long way, and 1000 warriors are not really going to achieve much alone.. you still expanded a bit...
That makes no sense. The Crete guy conquered half the Peloponnese, Rhodes and some pieces of Turkey with less men than me. All I tried to do is build a single trade post on the other side of southern Italy... I didn't asked to really expand in territory... Eh.

That makes no sense. The Crete guy conquered half the Peloponnese, Rhodes and some pieces of Turkey with less men than me. All I tried to do is build a single trade post on the other side of southern Italy... I didn't asked to really expand in territory... Eh.

Actually he had more. He also had several stories, including his background to prepare for such expansion. He also developed a UU. All his spending was directed to this expansion.. you didn't spend anything.

Your orders didn't mention a trade post at all...

Spearmen remain on defense while warriors and ships gain the upper hand over the toe of Italy.

Well I can make it smaller if you wish? ;)

No, no, no, no, I think that's quite alright right where it is :).

I will be limiting the religious cities in the world... these are meant to be the Mecca's and the Stone Henge's of the Ancient World... they will not be handed out like candy. We will see cities develop into other significance soon.. be it trade or culture. Those give economic benefit too.

Makes sense, wouldn't be good if every city in the world was the equivalent of Jerusalem or Mecca.

Actually he had more. He also had several stories, including his background to prepare for such expansion. He also developed a UU. All his spending was directed to this expansion.. you didn't spend anything.

Your orders didn't mention a trade post at all...
My story:

The city of Hyria, far out growing other cities have managed to use its growth to encourage expansion. It slowly begun to pressure the nearby port city of Brundisium into economic submission and slowly the two cities became a single nation among the other Messpic city states.

The control over a port allowed the powerful king of Hyria to look outward. He sent ships and men across the south in the southern part of the Italian lands and managed to settle colonists on the toe of Italy. A small city called Regi was formed and a small population of about 2000 men was settled there permanently.

Quickly after the formation of Regi colony communications with the Brutii tribes have become stronger. They were now surrounded by Messapi from both north in the heel of Italy and south from the toe. Trade and closer relations were especially progressing with Hyria and it's small colony at Regi to which Brutians begun to settle. Later communications with stronger nations would make Regi a powerful trade center with The western Mediterranean.

Ooc:sorry for mistakes this was done on the ipad! Colony is where Regium should be. New diplomacy should begin with Carthage and the other Italian states after the formation of the colony as its closer. Trade should also be flowing in the new colony making it bigger.

His unique unit is a ship, can ships conquer so deep inland? And I find unique units silly without any basis in culture so I don't make them. Should that put me at a disadvantage?

All I wanted was a small colony on the other side for trade and communication. What you thought I wanted? To conquer all of south Italy? sheesh.

@Erez

I am sorry, I kinda forgot about the story when nothing of it was mentioned in your orders. Settling a colony costs money, you didn't spend any.

Rhodes isn't even 50km across. The UU did not have to conquer deep inland.. his men did. He had detailed orders, and as I have said, within his nations description, he was essentially returning to lands that had been lost.. not conquering unknown lands/people. His UU ensured pirates or other nasties were not really an issue and also the local populace was impressed upon its arrival. Expanding any more than he has will be slower without extra men as it is beyond his historical border.

Your nations history is one of exiled colonists is it not? How well would they integrate with the people already there? Would they even share the same base language? Regardless, the main reason what you wanted to happen, didn't, was because you didn't tell me in your orders. If you write decent orders next time, you can get that colony settled up quickly and then act on the next 40 or so years as if you got what you wanted last time.. this really shouldn't be a problem a hope.. just a hiccup that you often get in the first few turns of a NES.

Finally, as for your issues for a UU.. it doesn't put you at any disadvantage at all. UU's may be better, but they cost more. He only gets 4 ships compared to the 10 if he was building normal ships. You will be able to build all the generic units you want if you don't want to create something a bit more individual. UU's is something very readily accepted within Civilization, so its certainly sticking about in this NES!

You shorted me on the Parazkos, Abaddon. I should have 4, not 1.

4 Ships = 1 Unit

Same as people have 10 Curraghs, but in the stats it shows as 1Unit of Curraghs.

In this way 1 Unit of Warriors = 1000 men.

Oh. Sorry, was a bit confused.

Why not just scratch the naval unit system and just show how many ships someone has in the stats. Its much easier to grasp (1EP = 10 ships, thus +10 ships in the stats) than constantly switching between unit and elements within the unit.

OOC: When the hell did my legend say that the sages taught children that Earth is flat?

Also, the story of my Special Units, the Guerrillos.

When he was a kid, and studied at the Escola[1], he had never liked what he was taught there, because many of the things did not make any sense. For example, why did they say that Gias[2] is round? It was plain obvious for anyone with a pair of good eyes that Gias was actually flat, because, if it was actually round, then you would be able to see the whole curve, wouldn't you?

While he had been able to get good marks, he felt he had never been made for the whole studious thing, what with his being fast and strong, which had allowed him to win some competitions at school. Joining the army had been the perfect idea.

And now, instead of being a normal warrior, with the club as a weapon and the deerskin protecting him, he had been directed by his tribe elder to a new barracks, one that had been built somewhat away from the barracks of the warriors and archers, and there he had been fitted with a special vest that, if he was not mistaken, was made of two hardened leather capes with some bronze stripes providing extra cover. He also had leather boots, a pair of long trousers made of wool and two gloves. He had been given a bow, a carcaj with several arrows and a short knife.

However, what he wanted to get was still away from his reach. It was the Achullo that hung from a wall of the main hall of the barracks, which was the weapon that every Guerrillo carried with themselves, the weapon that showed his status as an elite soldier of the Army of Sagenta.

He had started his training as a Guerrillo three weeks ago, and already a good one hundred out of the one thousand that had been here three weeks ago had left.

It was mostly due to their instructors. They were inflexible, hard on you and some thought that they were a bit crazy, but no one could doubt they were great soldiers.

"Hear me!" This one was Ignaus Eznikal, one of the greatest veterans in the army, who had led attacks against the barbarians that surrounded them and been at the forefront of many a fight. "These three weeks have been just the basic training for you to become the best soldiers Sagenta has! Three weeks in which you have been taught to fight with the knife, to shoot arrows with the bow, to fight barehanded! But from now on, the training will be harder! You will be taught to survive in the middle of a forest! You will learn how to survive when you have nothing on you while in the middle of winter! You will climb the highest mountains and cross the Ebir[3] River with your full equipment! Because each of you must become the best of the best just to keep up with the others! And each of you will have to get through it just to get that!" he said, pointing at the Achullo behind him.

He groaned internally. The last three weeks were only the basics? Damnation. However, he was not going to let that prevent him from getting that Achullo. He would be getting it, come hell or high water.

[1]Escola = school
[2]Gias = Earth
[3]Ebir = Ebro

OOC: When the hell did my legend say that the sages taught children that Earth is flat?

Sorry, that was just my little joke :sad: It is the best teaching establishment on the planet at the moment, but you have to remeber what age we are in? Its a long long time before anyone considers the world to be round is it not?

The Greeks already knew that the world was round.

Already When? That may be so, but you are neither the Greeks, nor are we on RL's TimeLine.

In effect, this is the dawn of civilization. You have built the first school ever! I imagine your "school" is very much a religious indoctrination than anything. Not that this is a bad thing. It will still help your nation advance.

Advancement in this NES will mostly come naturally. What you need to worry about is keeping your nation stable for long enough for it to survive to see these advances ;)

Already When? That may be so, but you are neither the Greeks, nor are we on RL's TimeLine.

In effect, this is the dawn of civilization. You have built the first school ever! I imagine your "school" is very much a religious indoctrination than anything. Not that this is a bad thing. It will still help your nation advance.

Advancement in this NES will mostly come naturally. What you need to worry about is keeping your nation stable for long enough for it to survive to see these advances ;)

Dammit. BTW, how do I actually get to advance on the research part? I hope that the school can help with the advancing.

Dammit. BTW, how do I actually get to advance on the research part? I hope that the school can help with the advancing.

Woops! It was meant to. Amended. You also gained culture.

As I have said, it is a stat that is best left alone as it will advance as you develop other things, as trade blossoms and nations trade. Unless you are desperate to be the most advanced in the world, and then I suggest concentrating on making your nation the happiest and most cultured. From there advancement will spring naturally anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom