ZombieNES: Vanity City

Day 4
Thursday, March 14th, 1974

If that means sharing the workload, sharing the food, then so what? Anyway, my own political feelings aside*, we don't have a leader.

*Although they don't matter anymore.

While doing a routine patrol (Yes, I've set up my own schedule, since no one is patrolling) along the Barricade wall, I discovered a patch badly beaten down and rusting from zombie blood, I guess? and it definitely needs fixing before the next zombie attack occurs.

--Stanislaus Kaczmerek

Continued down West 11th today. We turned right onto Grand Traverse St, hitting a bunch of houses on the corner. It turned out okay, cause we got a couple days worth of food for our efforts. Ain't no zombies to be seen, though. I'm gettin real anxious about that. Nervous, too. Got this feelin in my gut. Somethin's gonna click, and we're gonna be fukken overrun one of these days. Somethin ain't right.

--Jessica

+9 food

Damm! Old pastor guy passed out in a damm pile of corpses out in the yard today. I saw through my window but couldn't help or call no one, on account ah bein damm stuck here in mah chair. They should gimme a gun or sumin case a zombie mighta got him.

--Isaiah Wilkerson

Oh ****. I can't take much more of this. I'm not a burn unit doctor or trauma nurse or ANYTHING. I told Isaiah he'd be okay but I don't even know. I'm not trained for this.

All times are estimations.

9:34: The removal of Isaiah's bandages begins again. The honey seems to have absorbed most of the colors I had witnessed and described earlier.

9:50: The honey has left his wounds surprisingly odourless, which is what I am gauging the chance of infection by right now.

10:13: Upon closer inspection a thin layer of pus has formed around both of his knees. Odd that it would focus around these places. At any rate pus is often a good indicator of infection. It involves antibodies and such attacking inflamatory germs. This is not a good sign.

10:30: I cleaned his wounds and let them air out for 15 minutes before re-applying a layer of bandage to the worst parts.

I moved him to the cleanest room I could find and had several other people move out. No rooms will stay sanitary for much longer if we can't sanitize them. How could we go about doing that?

Jesus Christ, my name seemed to apply to my entire character as I finished writing that. Trembling, as I revisited it.

--Ken Trembley

Martha "Handy-Gun" Hannigan, as she likes to be called, [the black woman the elderly Mr. Richardson failed to convince to join our commune], arrived at the front gate early this afternoon with a presumably stolen shopping cart full of her belongings. She requested asylum within the walls of our fort.

--Jennifer Davidson

Should we invite her to stay in the fort?

Vanity City Saints disband said:
Tommy disappeared today. He jus up and walked out of the dinin room, and headed east along west 10th. They-ure all sayin no one saw him go, and they even had scouts an shet around there. I don't know where the heil he went but he better be prepared to answer some damn questions if he ever does comes back.

--Amanda Rose

-Thomas Johnson [PRESUMED DECEASED]

Rocket City Rednecks: +Donatello Rose
The Scavenging Sparrows: +Amanda Rose

Cressick, the Boy and I took to our biking once more. The trio is back together! At any rate we did not find the restaurants or stores we were looking for, however we did discover another Apartment complex across Avenue B from the original. For some reason it seemed like a layer of FogofWar just lifted up away as we approached it.. I wonder why we couldn't see it yesterday. Odd.

--Frank Douglas

I searched the apartment complex on the corner of Williams and Avenue C all alone today. I haven't seen Cornelius all day, which is unfortunate, because I think it's been harder for him lately. On the plus side, I found a kitten for him! This entire complex had been emptied out, save for one (thankfully non-zombie) dead family, and a kitten. No kitten food though; I don't know how it survived so long. The family looks a few days dead.

This begs the question: If zombies didn't kill them, who did? And where did their supplies go? This condo had been barricaded the sh|t out of from the inside, but it was unlocked, ad wide frikkin open. This bears investigating.

--Victor Harrison

+1 Kitten for Cornelius to name.

Vanity City University Political Science Department Disband said:
After careful consideration, we (Jennifer and I) put our heads together, and determined it more productive to start working with Frank Douglas and his batboy. It is batboy isn't it?

--Michael Hofstra

Vanity City Country Club: +Jennifer Davidson, +Michael Hofstra

Major Tom and I (Calling Haley that drives him up the walls. It's a reference to some new song my son told me about, two years ago.) ransacked a few houses we hadn't hit before. It was slow progress, getting him in the buildings and all. Anyway, we grabbed everything that wasn't nailed down (and a lot of stuff that was - HOOWAH!) that could be put on the Barricade.

Come to think of it, maybe we shouldn't go to houses without handicap-ramps. It'd be impossible to get him out if there were zombies in there and we needed to escape.. Just a thought, anyway.

--'Major' James Sarvel

+10 Barricade Material

YEAH WELL. I ended up giving the old goon Dave the food he wanted. He even asked for it by name, the greedy, picky bastard. Caned beans, olives and vegetable broth. Ungrateful son of a.. He disappeared after a few hours of hanging around. I've no idea where to.

--General Haley

-2 Food

Bob and George followed me around the black woman's block, looking for weapons and tools. Score! One of the hideous identical yellow houses on Mason Street had a whole garage full of equipment. We didn't have enough time during the day to grab everything there. We should definitely head there again.

--Mr. Richardson

+2 Tool Kits

So, I figured it out. It's been bothering me for a while but I really couldn't focus, on account of running around for food and stuff. I'm fred, Sebastian's Shaggy (hahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha), Octavia's Velma, Maddie is Daphne and Tuna is Scoobie Doo, obviously. How does that like not make sense? While patrolling the town on foot (we left the mystery machine back at the fort) we found a bunch of food and stuff.

--The Wise One

+31 food, +3 1st aid kits

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
Stuff got used:
- 31 - 2 = 33 food

Stuff got found:
+ 31 + 9 = 40 food
+1 Kitten for Cornelius to name
+10 Barricade Material
+2 Tool Kits
+3 First Aid Kits

Now that we have barricading material... which area should we try to barricade up?

Wise One:

The real question, I mean the real question, man, is why ain't we out looking for more food? Now I'm all for peace love harmony and all that other crap, but a man's got to eat unless he gets all unpeaceful and like, see what I'm sayin'? Nuh-now listen here, man, I've got this great idea. Worked back in the commune, the only place there ever really was peace in this God-damned world. We set up a few teams, right, who are go out and get found. It's mandatory, no 'no siirs' and crap like that. You go get food because you need to eat and if we don't eat who's to say we won't turn into man-eaters like them zombies?

Mr. Richardson:

Jackpot.

Orders by the 27th. Skipping a week for the holidays. This is not a commitment-heavy NES, I'm surprised there are less orders than that.

Cornelius was snoozing away on the mountain of corpses, a literal mountain in the center of the apartment complex. Harison was carrying the pet kitten with him, the little fellow meowing sweetly and pawing at him. Harison couldn't help but talk to the cat in a form of child speak, with all of the assorted things that you would associate with talking to a pet.

"Cornelius!"

The drunken father lurched upwards, and tumbled down the side of the corpse pile. Reaching the bottom, he pulled out a whiskey bottle from parts better left unsaid, and moved to take a swill.

"Nope." Harison kicked it away. "Need you sober for this one old man. Got a friend for you."

The kitten hopped down, meowing, pawing at Cornelius's nose. "It's so cute!"

"Please name it and let's get out of here as quickly as possible."

"Could I name him Kim?"

"It's a male cat."

"But... Kim's a male name, right?"

Resisting the urge to strangle the good Father, Harison kept his calm. "No."

"Fine then." Cornelius put on a serious look and stared at the kitten as his eyebrows knitted together. "I shall name thee High King of Vanity City Alphonese van der Lufen von Whiskahoffen."

"You are not fudging' serious are you?"

"Deadly Harison." The kitten rolled over onto it's belly and swatted at Cornelius's fingers playfully.

Sometimes the good Father had great ideas. This was not one of them.

Orders:
Victor is to continue scouting with the scouting party on bike. Harison, Father Cornelius and... let's call him Al to continue scouting the apartments.

Hey! I hope it's not too late to join! I gave the NES section a look-over and thought I'd join. This really caught my eye thanks to ExtraNoise's Chose-Your-Own-Adventure zombie game called "Survivors". Could definitely kill time here while I wait for some stuff in IOT to go through. Again, sorry if I'm interrupting or posting in the wrong place.

Spoiler :
Group Name: The Never-Say-Die Party (NSDP)​

William "Grandfather" Hunt III​
Spoiler :
Class: Leader.
Equipment: Walking cane, unfurls into a four-legged walker (we all know what they look like).

Backstory: The Hunt family is one of leaders. The surname Hunt dates all the way back to the colonial era -- when the United States of America was first banded and recognised as a sovereign state. William is rich, but only because of his hard work and that of his ancestors. Born and raised in Vanity City, he's the area's "Bruce Wayne", only without a batsuit and kick-arse gadgetry. He's known for leading many organisations and being an efficient taskman. Most describe him as "an adorable old man". Within the group, his nickname "Grandfather" (sometimes Grandpa) was earned by his strong, yet caring demeanour. He pretty much formed Never-Say-Die; hard to say where these four people would be today without him.

Note: Sometimes, Clarence will tease him by saying "Grandpa", which he replies to annoyed with a quick, "I am not Granpda!"

Miranda Black​
Spoiler :
Class: Survivor.
Equipment: A purse. What 21st Century sheila doesn't have one of these on her? Oh, and an automatic G17. How'd she get one? All explained in the group story.

Backstory: Miranda is an average girl. She went to Vanity High and recently graduated (at 18 years of age). She has her circle of friends, she stays on Facebook for hours at a time. When the events of . . . whatever the hell happened occurred, she was (luckily) hanging around Vanity City's upper class district, which explains how she came across William (all in the group story). Before everything happened, she was planning on attending university for Biological Studies. Because of this, she's a good asset in judging zombie behaviour and things like that -- but not the best (since she didn't go to college).

Clarence "Arsenal" Cooke​
Spoiler :
Class: Soldier. Head military scientist -- or was at least. Is good at assembling, designing, and repairing weapons -- hence his handle.
Equipment: M4A1 Carbine Assault Rifle with silencer; SOCOM handgun with silencer, binoculars.

Backstory: Arsenal, born Clarence Hunter Cooke, is a military scientist. His recruiter thought he'd do good as Infantry, even Special Forces, but he said "nah" after reckoning that combat was a bit barbaric -- even if necessary. Joining the Air Force (where all the brains are), he was recruited into the Special Tactics Squadron as their lead weapons and craft developing engineer. The AF was jointly working with Lockeed-Martin, and soon created a separate account for the funds with started pouring in when Arsenal and his guys popped out the good weapons. He pulled the cat out of the bag when he discovered what was going on, and that his higher-ups were selling his designs to terrorists. The Air Force pulled some strings, and, long story short, he was honourably discharged from service.

Walter Slovak​
Spoiler :
Class: Builder. He's works construction for a living.
Equipment: Basic craftsman things. Funny how construction workers always have screwdrivers on 'em, innit?

Backstory: Walter's probably one of the most boring members of NSD. His father was a construction worker, as was his father before him. Typical Italian guy who emphasises hard work, the importance of swearing at the workplace, and Italian family values. Well hey -- at least he's a hard worker, right?

Michelle Finnegan​
Spoiler :
Class: Scavenger.
Equipment: Pen, paper, notebook. Not to mention some scavenger stuff.

Backstory: Born in Vanity City's middle-class district to a scientist father and a mother who was a nurse at the local retirement home. Growing up, her family always emphasized community service and charity, which is what pushed her to volunteer a lot and study things like world affairs, political science, and some medical stuff. She was a college student when the events of this zombie state kicked-off, and was the last to join the group. She acts like the coordinator, which makes sense since she's the scavenger. She often goes out patrolling or searching with her least-favourite fellow NSDer, Walter, or her favourite NSDer, Arsenal.

Not too late at all. IOTer with 3 posts? Weird.

Anyway, this is on break until Wednesday 28th. You'll be added in then - but be warned, not all of your characters make make it . . . ALIVE. (pun)

Joking aside, nobody gets all their characters at the start. You might find them later on, having been separated somehow, or having never met in the first place. And usually it's item-lite when they do make it through. Welcome to ZombieNES: Vanity City!

Bump for post-holiday zombie times. Orders due wednesday evening - 2 so far. You don't need any, Indocera, if you're still around.

Mr. Richardson and Bob will make a round trip back to the garage to secure more supplies/building materials.

George will return to the fortress to make extensions to the base using the tool kit we found.

Cries Gone Unheard

"Man, it would seem to me that no one listens in this house of near-dead people!" Octavia muttered to herself as she watched her brother argue with some of the other survivors over rationing. For the past few hours Alexander had been trying to convince their motley collection to stop eating so much and to start regularly going out to bring back foods rather than go on bike rides. His attempts were in vain and most disregarded her older brother because more times than not he was high.

Octavia did not blame them. Alexander was a raving mad-man, but he was a raving mad-man in his element. Whatever happened over in 'Nam changed him, but it was happening here again. Were it left up to Octavia she would have taken her brother and his... friends away to their own little fortress, but Alexander had some kind of misguided loyalty to these honkeys who held him in little regard.

"Now, you listen here, man, the food—the food won't last that long!" Alexander said to one of the police officers, stumbling on every other word because, again, he was high.

"Maybe if you weren't so high all the time and didn't have the damn munchies!" One of the other survivors shouted, which elicited a glare from Alexander—a rare display of the man he once was—before looking back to the officer.

"See, here's what I propose. We, now I mean we, the New Thinkers, set ourselves up as food-getters. Do whatever else you jingo-jangos want, but we need food and my people are happy to get it. But we'll need help. We—we can't just keep going the way we is going, you know what I mean? Damn, man, we've already got one other mouth to feed," He pointed to Isaiah, the burn victim, "And he can hardly contribute much, so as hard as it is to say it, he's dead weight! And what happens if more like him happen? What if we is all hurt? What then?"

"Ask what all you damn well want," said the officer, "But it doesn't change a damn thing. I ain't trusting you—or any of your drugged up friends—with a gun."

Alexander cursed and the argument continued.

+++

Alexander, Sebastian, Maggie, and James go out scavenging for food, this time going down Lyon Street and making a left into the unexplored territory. As well as food they should keep an eye out for any defensible positions that can be inhabited later. They will arm themselves per usual (Alexander w/ his makeshift spear, Sebastian & James w/ whatever they have, Maggie will keep a lookout and avoid combat).

Octavia, much to her chagrin, will spend her time shadowing Ken the nurse, whether he likes it or not. Her goal is to pick up on the medical knowledge he has.

I left my laptop somewhere :(:( which means no updating until I get it back, which might be tonight.

No worries Eltain, postpone the update if need be and find your laptop first, I'm sure we all can wait :).

Top Bottom