[MOD] The Authentic Colonization (TAC)

Hi guys!

I've translated two files (Main Interface and Europe Screen texts), and I've fixed a few incorrect game texts:

(TXT_KEY_SELL_ALL in CIV4GameText_Colonization.xml and
TXT_KEY_EVENT_UNIT_EXPERIENCE, TXT_KEY_EVENT_IMMOBILE_UNIT in CIV4GameTextInfos_Original.xml)
Could someone increase the first column's length ("yield" column) in the trade log? In French the word "Ressource" is too large to fit in the first column! ;)

There are other mistakes (from vanilla C4C, nothing to do with TAC), I'd like to fix.
Does anyone know how to only return the plural form of a text tag?

In Domestic Advisor screen,
return localText.getText("TXT_KEY_BUILDING_WAREHOUSE", ())
returns "Entrepôt:Entrpôts", in English "Warehouse:Warehouses".
I would like to keep either the singular (Warehouse) or the plural (Warehouses)but non both :D
How should I do that?

Edit: I forgot to say, I also fixed TXT_KEY_MAIN_MENU_SETTINGS in CIV4GameTextInfos_Original.xml !

Attachments

• Text.rar
    267.6 KB · Views: 190
Hello Robert,
nice work, man! Never thought we could present a fully translated french version of TAC one day :D In case you wont get tired...
I ask you to post your results in questions in our translation forum, that would make some things easier for us. I think you are already registered there. You can find the topic if you follow this link.
Once again: thank you!

so long and greetz

This mod has a real German quality :goodjob:, events and graphics are making the game very cool. I just love the Whale Boat! However, since the name of the mod is Authentic Colonization -- I was a little disappointed to see no slaves or smallpox.

Guys, don't you see how pretty is the "colonization" painted by Fraxis? Freedom loving people came, traded with natives, built a new country and got a freedom from an idiot king. Yeah, and Natives just were offering their villages to neighbors because of the Culture from the Bells.

Colonization was very ugly process, when people of two continents were suffering to make illegal immigrants from the third continent richer :lol: . TAC reflects this with the tons of Native units only.

Why is it so hard to include Slave unit? Why is it so hard to include a Plague mechanics which would wipe up entire (and very useful) villages of Natives? If the mod would call itself -- Beautiful Colonization -- I would agree. But Authentic? Make things ugly, please :backstab: , or change the name :lol:

This mod has a real German quality :goodjob:, events and graphics are making the game very cool. I just love the Whale Boat!
Thanks, our focus always has been on quality instead of number of features added to TAC. We all had to give up features dear to our heart as we couldn't get the quality we wanted to have.

However, since the name of the mod is Authentic Colonization -- I was a little disappointed to see no slaves
Slaves were a hot topic in our development board and the subject of many discussions. If some team members of TAC are completely against a feature, then we do not include it. And therefore a slavery feature was not included in TAC.

or smallpox.
I have been playing around with diseases that can spread, can be cured etc. All working fine - except for the AI who cannot handle this properly. And if you do not have a cure/counter, then human players will not like the feature.

You might see some "diseases" in a scenario currently in development. It will also be quite ugly :D (Not the graphics, the setting and background story) That's all I am going to tell, you will have to ask Writing Bull for more details.

Here is the question about combat: suppose I only have 50 horses and 50 guns, I used them to make Dragoon, my Dragoon won the battle, still has +1 MP but is badly damaged. I change his job to Colonist, use another Colonist to make him Dragoon, rinse and repeat again and again. Same horses and same guns being used in battle, but everytime I get a new unit with a full health. Exploit?

And the second question: one AI player always ends up being VERY week or defeated from the start. If Natives kill the very first 2 units and/or burn the very first colony, AI becomes virtually absent from the game. I need to add them some units and ships from WB...

Question1: Maybe an exploit, but an exploit from Colonzation. Not from TAC. You can't prevent this against a human player.

Question2: In which difficulty do you play?

Well, I play default difficulty (Explorer), AI supposed to have no advantage against me...

You can't prevent this against a human player.

Yes you could. :)

Simply set all Movement Points to 0 after fight. -> DLL.
(Could be done for attackers and defenders. Might even be realistic.)

No ray, you can't. Even if you do so, he could give the weapons, horses and tools to another colonist (in a town). The old one has no movementpoints, but the fresh one has.

Well, I play default difficulty (Explorer), AI supposed to have no advantage against me...
Correct, AI has the same level. The AI had no advantages, but uses other ways (cheats) for new colonists. Try a harder difficulty - AI will be better.

You are right, change profession is not possible then.

But if you change this, Dragoons and other units will not have the feature retreat after combat. In my mind this feature is better then this exploit.

You are right, change profession is not possible then.

:)

But if you change this, Dragoons and other units will not have the feature retreat after combat. In my mind this feature is better then this exploit.

Everything is possible in DLL.

You simply need to take care of the order of things happening.

1) Check Retreat
2) Set Movement to 0 <-- new

So you would have feature retreat and removed exploit. :thumbsup:

This could probably be implemented and tested in an hour or so.
Risk of bugs would be extremely low.

Hi everyone,

I've posted a message on Civfr.com about TAC here:
TAC on CivFr.com
I'm hoping someone will help me with the translation.
Feel free to correct something if necessary...

:)
Everything is possible in DLL.

You simply need to take care of the order of things happening.

1) Check Retreat
2) Set Movement to 0 <-- new

So you would have feature retreat and removed exploit. :thumbsup:

This could probably be implemented and tested in an hour or so.
Risk of bugs would be extremely low.
Hum... Please do NOT do this. Indeed there is an exploit, but you're solution is a little too strict. Could you still manually retreat? Could you move away your unit?

Anyway, if I were you, I'd change the "Change profession" condition. You can only change professions if you have full movement points. So after attacking a dragoon would have lost 1MP and can't change professions but could still move.

It's strange, if I'm correct in C4C vanilla, you can't change your profession if you've moved. But if Tigranes is right, (and he seems right indeed!), attacking isn't counted as a movement for profession change, although it removes you one movement point. THAT is the bug we need to fix, don't you think ?

Anyway, if I were you, I'd change the "Change profession" condition. You can only change professions if you have full movement points. So after attacking a dragoon would have lost 1MP and can't change professions but could still move.

I agree, that solution is better. :)

I don't think, that this would be better. Your settlers will be affected too, when they come to a colony. You will loose a round and nobody will understand this.

Okey, guys, I really don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, but the end of my first game was disappointing compared with the real cool experience I was getting during the rest of the game.

Basically, I played Explorer difficulty with the reduced REF, just to learn about the mod. I have focused on 1 Port with the rest of my cities inland and built a Navy. 3 Colonies offered their help, I asked for Navy support from 2, and land troops from 1. I never saw land support, but with the help of the Navy I just sunk all the MoW King sent to my shores. After wiping 10+ units who managed to land in the New World I was declared a Winner :cry:

Really? One can win the game by just sinking all the King's Navy? What was the point of all that development and Army I was building? And this is coming from the Mod who's authors complained about cheap taste of the Victory in the Original Col?

I know, I was playing with the non-cheating AI (which still cheats, by the way, AI always can see your units, for example). But still, if TAC is not a race against the clock why it should be a race against someone else Declaring Independence first? Even in general, I don't understand where in the History do we see the race for independence? Grand Columbia, Haiti and 13 Colonies where 3 very separate cases of historical development. Spanish colonies got independent some 40 years later, but they where around 150 years before English colonies got established. If not for Napoleon taking over the Spain -- Spanish Empire could endure another 50 years. Why should my English colony try to slow down independence of French colonies? How historical and "authentic" is that?

Why do the Kings never fight with each other? I would see it very authentic. The event tells that King of Spain declared on King of England, and you need to fight a war because of that, not because you as a governor decided to slow down New Spain's bell production rate! How dares a governor declare a war to begin with (against European powers that is)?

In short, I am still looking for the actual authentic Colonization mod, with actual historical concepts like I described above (slavery and smallpox is a small art-effect compared with wrong idea of racing against AI who also wants to be independent). The fact that all 4 AI colonies were formed in South America (Isabela got razed and Spain disappeared) and this silly Missionary are even smaller bugs... Historical paradigm of Colonizators is not realistic or authentic as of right now :deadhorse:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 1,026
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 955
Thank you for your feedback, Tigranes. I will answer to one of your remarks. (Perhaps somebody else can answer to the other ones.)
I played Explorer difficulty with the reduced REF, just to learn about the mod. (...) One can win the game by just sinking all the King's Navy? What was the point of all that development and Army I was building?
Yes, this is a problem of our current version: users, who try to defeat the king by destroying his ships, have an advantage, and users, who wait until the troops have landed, have a disadvantage. We have discussed this problem at our German development forum and have developed a solution which we will implement at our next version.

Yes, this is a problem of our current version ...

I don't think this is a TAC specific problem. :)
(This came with Vanilla and I haven't yet seen another CivCol Mod that has already solved this.)

But yes, the concept discussed in the German forum should bring huge improvement here. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom