Caveman 2 Cosmos

Deactivate "Animations Frozen" in the Civ4 graphics options.

Does that increase turn times? The turns already take 5-6 seconds.

The options issue where you have to reset the screen resolution, graphics level, change audio back to stereo, make workers not chop forest, and various other things is caused by the new options that were added for using AI pathing and AI governor stuff.

The place they were added (on the options screen instead of a game option for custom games or on the BUG option screen or just as a value in GlobalDefines.xml) means that they are not stored in the .ini or the save game or in the mod folder anywhere. They are stored in the user's profile, which is in a folder called Profiles next to the cache folder inside the user account's "Local Settings\Application Data\My Games\Beyond the Sword" folder.

The profile with the new options is not compatible with the base game or any mod that does not have the same number of them. Being incompatible (the contents of the file does not match what it is looking for) it reverts to default settings.

In order to play C2C and not have to change the setting every single time, you need to launch it from a shortcut, not launch BtS first and slect Load Mod, since loading BtS first requires the a "normal" profile and C2C reqires a "C2C profile" (with the extra options) and any time you run something that requires one that is not the same as the last one you used it messes it up.

In essence, the problem happens because the number of values in the PlayerOptionTypes enum is different. There are 3 named "PLAYEROPTION_MODDER_1", "-2", and "_3" that BtS itself does not use. If you use only those for a mod then it works seamlessly. If you add any more then you hit the incompatibility issue. C2C now adds "PLAYEROPTION_AI_PATHING" after "PLAYEROPTION_MODDER_3". It's profile file is therefore incompatible with BtS or any mod that doesn't have the same number of options, and vice-versa.

It is possible to work around this via a modified shortcut and a second .ini file. I started messing with this because I need to run mods other than C2C. The Target field in the shortcut used to launch C2C can, instead of the "mod=" qualifier (or, probably, in addition to it), take an "ini=" qualifier. You point that at a new .ini file that specifies "UserProfile = C2C" and "Mod = Mods\Caveman2Cosmos", after creating a second profile with the settings you want to use for C2C.

An actual fix that does not require such a workaround would be to not use so many options that are stored in the user profile. Make the new ones into game options (as per the list you get when launching a custom game), or an option on the C2C tab of the BUG screen, or a setting in one of the GlobalDefines.xml type files.

Step by step method of implementing the workaround

For anybody interested, here is a semi-detailed step by step method of implementing the workaround so you can run C2C and regular BtS or other mods too without having them interfere with each other.

This requires that you use a shortcut to launch C2C once this is set up - do not launch it from the "Load a Mod" menu item from regular BtS.

1) Launch C2C, any way you like this time.

2) Go to the Options item on the Advanced menu and set the options how you want them to be set.

3) Save these as a new profile called C2C via the tab labeled "Other" on the Options screen.

4) Exit the game.

5) Copy the CivilizationIV.ini file from My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword (or some similar location, the exact name may vary with windows versions) to the folder wherever you have BtS installed, putting it in the same folder as Civ4BeyondSword.exe. Change the name of the copied file to CivilizationIVC2C.ini (to avoid any confusion in the future, and avoid any possible interference with the regular .ini file). [Edit: fixed this step.]

6) Edit this copy in Notepad, or some similar text editor. You need to change the following 2 settings and then save the file and exit the editor.
6A) change the line that starts UserProfile = to be UserProfile = C2C. (If you chose some other name for the profile up in step 3, use that name instead of C2C.)
6B) change the line that starts Mod = to be Mod = Mods\Caveman2Cosmos

7) Open the Properties screen of the shortcut you are going to be using to launch C2C via right clicking on the shortcut. (Note: Instructions for setting up such a shortcut can be fount elsewhere. There is a such a shortcut in the Caveman2Cosmos folder in the Mods folder for the game that will work if your game is installed in the default location, otherwise you need to point it at the actual Beyond the Sword executable, Civ4BeyondSword.exe, in whatever location you have it installed.)

8) If the Target item on the Shortcut tab specifies mod=\Caveman2Cosmos, delete that part. (It should say this if you have been using it to launch C2C.)

9) At the end of the target line, where it used to say mod=\Caveman2Cosmos, add this: ini=CivilizationIVC2C.ini. There should be a space before the ini=.

With these changes, this shortcut should now launch C2C and make it use the new profile instead of the default profile.

You will probably need to reset the options for regular BtS (or some other mod) once, to get the settings for the default profile back to what you want them to be.

After that, they should stay set to these settings since C2C now uses a different profile and will not mess with the default profile as long as you only ever run it by using the shortcut.

Excellent post.

Just add in to change save game frequency advice to speed up turn times and you have covered everything.:)

Sorry to be the nagger on this forum, but does anyone know why my melons look like this?

As I keep saying:rolleyes: there is a problem with melons, squash and pumpkins on low graphics settings. I am waiting for the maker of those resources to fix it, they forgot to point the low res version at the correct file.

@ God-Emperor
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. thanks for this, I was about to murder people if I had to reset my resolution one more time.

If you look at the attached i already have a shortcut set-up, if things are different all you need to do is change them in the properties area.

I have also included a SavedGame start "shortcut" that way it will direct you to the saved game right away rather than going through all the extra "junk" you do from loading.

All you need to do is put these 2 shortcuts on your desktop and poof you have autoloading.

If you look at the attached i already have a shortcut set-up, if things are different all you need to do is change them in the properties area.

I have also included a SavedGame start "shortcut" that way it will direct you to the saved game right away rather than going through all the extra "junk" you do from loading.

All you need to do is put these 2 shortcuts on your desktop and poof you have autoloading.
This does not fix the issue with C2C erasing your options whenever you change from one mod to another (happens since Koshling added an additional option there).
God-Emperors excellent workaround on the other hand does.

This does not fix the issue with C2C erasing your options whenever you change from one mod to another (happens since Koshling added an additional option there).
God-Emperors excellent workaround on the other hand does.

I guess i am not getting it, i have NO problems with my default profile whatsoever, and the audio/ and everything else works fine, just the way it is??:crazyeye:

Try starting a game of plain old regular BtS. It will be at the default settings (not the contents of the default profile that you have set, but the default values for the default profile that the game would use to create the profile the first time the game is run after it is installed, before the profile exists).
After that, try firing up C2C again. It too will be back to the default settings.

The issue is when you switch mods (or run without one) from C2C, and also when you switch back to C2C again too.

C2C's profile is not compatible due to the extra option past the end of the normal list, resulting in the profile being wiped out and replaced with all default settings. You can't use the same profile for C2C and other mods/modless without having to change everything back to how you want it every time. Well, unless you play with it everything set to the defaults anyway...

Try starting a game of plain old regular BtS. It will be at the default settings (not the contents of the default profile that you have set, but the default values for the default profile that the game would use to create the profile the first time the game is run after it is installed, before the profile exists).
After that, try firing up C2C again. It too will be back to the default settings.

The issue is when you switch mods (or run without one) from C2C, and also when you switch back to C2C again too.

C2C's profile is not compatible due to the extra option past the end of the normal list, resulting in the profile being wiped out and replaced with all default settings. You can't use the same profile for C2C and other mods/modless without having to change everything back to how you want it every time. Well, unless you play with it everything set to the defaults anyway...

OH, ok, i get it, well thats probably why i dont get it, because C2C is the only game on my "whole" PC, DUH!!!:p:mischief:

v 22.1
Giant map
constant crashes every 1-2 hours

Attachments

• MiniDump.zip
    18.4 KB · Views: 323
Top Bottom