The new patch breaks savegames + new games don't work too (e.g. no city founding)

fuzzatron717

Holy Warrior
Okay most people know a new patch came out a few days ago. Well it automatically downloaded it on and I tried to play a game that I had started a couple days ago, and it won't let me play. I am wondering if anyone is having this problem and if there is a way to fix this.

In Steam, it just says next to the game title, "Update required." I clicked "Pause updating" and then "Resume updating" and got the same message. Is there a way to manually download the patch?

Alternatively, 2K/Firaxis needs to fix this ASAP.

That's strange.. I would've assumed the issue of not being able to found new cities is not patch but more of a game related issue where a reinstall is necessary..

Hell, I can't even START the game, it just crashes before main menu even appears.

it updated automatically and now i cannot found a city nor even highlight starting units. i uninstalled and reinstalled the game to no avail. Please help? :confused:

Moderator Action: Merged into the main thread about this issue.

I believe this is going around for anyone with the patch and since the patch automatically downloads right before gods and kings comes out everyone will get the patch and can't play till gods and kings comes out.

it updated automatically and now i cannot found a city nor even highlight starting units. i uninstalled and reinstalled the game to no avail. Please help? :confused:

Moderator Action: Merged into the main thread about this issue.

Could you please post your dxdiag? He first couple sections should be fine (CPU, OS and video card info). Also, could you go into your my games/civ 5/logs/ directory, open up the LUA log, and let me know if there is anything in there?

Thanks much.

Joined simply to say the new patch has broken my game.

I can start a new game, but I can't select the starting units or open anything (like social policies etc).

I can return to windows, but can't return to the game menu (have to hard boot my computer).

/:mad:

All my games saved as Paracuti have now morphed into Genghis Khan. I thought it might be a corrupt save or my local files corrupt but not so. I think somewhere in the save it saves a civilization number and they have changed the civilization numbers around as this has effected my config.ini which was edited to show Paracuti as my last civilization played. Can I edit my saved games to stop all my Paracuti games being taken over by Genghis Khan who I hate with a vengence? This has ruined the game for me - I was thinking of buying Gods and Kings but I won't be tempted unless I see a stable platform.

After looking at this again I don't think it is the civilization number but the format of the saves that have changed. There appears to be a new section at the top of the save which list the civilizations by name that did not exist before. I am guessing that the new patch version 1.0.1.674 must be reading Gengis Khan as a default in the save (as my games were all saved as 1.0.1.511 under the previous format) when it can't read a civilization in the section that is missing. We just need a converter to convert a save from 1.0.1.511 to 1.0.1.674 so that the new patch level can read the old saves correctly. If someone that understands the format of the old and new saves could post up a schema of the two formats I could right a vbscript converter as long as the new one can be determined from the old. I can't create new records from nothing just rejig what already exists.

SimonD,

If you are trying to play a pre-patch game with the patch... forget it. Unlike the problems people are having with new games, 2K announced on their website that pre-patch games would have problems, and recommended you finish them offline.

Txurce
Thanks for that, luckily I do have another machine that did not get patched.

Sometimes it is best to admit defeat and move on...

Excellent! Just keep it on offline mode for the duration to be safe. I would be surprised if G&K has the same problems on Tuesday.

For those that are getting the "I can't end my first turn" bug, could you please try something for me, and let me know if it corrects your problem?

1. Open up your config.ini (My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization V/)
2. Look for the following line: EnableGameCoreThreading = 1
3. Change it to: EnableGameCoreThreading = 0

Thanks, and let me know.

Top Bottom