[Scenario] America / Europe 1936

Use this thread to discuss the America / Europe 1936 scenario made by T_KCommanderbly

State : this scenario is still in development phase, consider it in alpha version.

Map Size : Huge (4GB Ram / quadcore CPU recommended)

Description:

Experience a combined eastern seaboard and European map, build up your army and play the historical events as they unfold into all out world war.

• France: surrounded by Allies and friendly minor nations, France has quick access to strong tanks and a strong economy. But France's production is rather low and military rather small.
  • United Kingdom: protected largely by a sea barrier, the United Kindom has the strongest starting navy and a very strong strategic foothold on the world. However the UK's economy is struggling from the commonwealth and has a small starting army.
  • U.S.S.R: the largest nation by land the Soviet Union has both the largest starting army and access to the strongest tanks in the game. But the Soviet's also lack a good infrastructure and a navy.
  • The United States: seperated by the atlantic ocean from Europe the USA has the best production in the game and a very strong economy. But the USA has a small starting army and air force.
  • Germany: a strong military power, Germany has both the strongest army and air force in the game. But Germany is surrounded by enemies and starts out with a low score.
  • Italy: at the center of the map, Italy has a strong starting navy and strategic position. But Italy has a small economy and a low production.

Screens (clickable):

reserved

Until I post an update allowing the "Fall of ..." events to be set OFF with an option (or until I found a way to make it work on all computers), here is a workaround that will require a little bit of file editing.

Go in the scenario folder:
"..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\R.E.D. WWII Edition (v 28)\Lua\AmericaEuro1936"

Open the ScriptAmericaEuro1936.lua file with any text editor (notepad will do)

Find this line:

Code:
Events.SerialEventCityCaptured.Add( FallOfFrance )

Comment it out of the code by adding "--" at the start of the line, like that:

Code:
-- Events.SerialEventCityCaptured.Add( FallOfFrance )

Do the same for all line containing SerialEventCityCaptured and ( FallOf... )

Events.SerialEventCityCaptured.Add( FallOfPoland )
Events.SerialEventCityCaptured.Add( FallOfDenmark )
Events.SerialEventCityCaptured.Add( FallOfNorway )

Would it be possible to add Greece, or anyother minor nation, as a playable civ on this map?

Greece, yes, has the civ is already in the mod for the 1939-45 map. But it's not a quick change, it will require to edit the map and a few files, not my priority ATM.

For other nations, we need the material to add it first. Finland is a good candidate, if someone is ready to centralize the material needed (see second post of the development thread), I would suggest to add a new thread for it (or any other nation that should be implemented)

I know a lot about Finland, Hungary, and Romania in ww2, if you want to add them at some future time.

Greece, yes, has the civ is already in the mod for the 1939-45 map. But it's not a quick change, it will require to edit the map and a few files, not my priority ATM.

For other nations, we need the material to add it first. Finland is a good candidate, if someone is ready to centralize the material needed (see second post of the development thread), I would suggest to add a new thread for it (or any other nation that should be implemented)

Vital to add Greece!

I've mainly played the 1939 europe scenario so am wondering what this includes, does it same the same military projects and operations as the 1939 map ?

It doesn't have operations yet but it has the same military projects.

Basically the difference is America is added to the Scenario and their are a few more events that take place. The earlier start allows you to build up your own army, air force and navy. There are other small changes like no colonies and the addition of Luxembourg but to a certain extent it is very similar. It is also more in an alpha stage so you may run into some small issues (like some units unbuildable).

gotta change the basic format to allow for basing of aircraft in allied cities. its impossible otherwise - america has to build carriers and thats easy to shoot down from morroco and brest

In regards to the option to turn off the "fall of ...." events due to some people having the game crash with them enabled, are there any clues of why the crash happens?

If its a memory issue for the affected people I'd like to know, since I'll leave em on then since I have 16GB of memory :)
Considering how many turns you have to 'wait' in the 1936 game before you reach a possible "fall of ...." event, its kinda hard to test if it would affect me or not :)

btw, are the units the same as in the 1939 game, eg including panther and tiger tanks for ze germanz? :)

Algeria, Tunisa, etc should be city states!

I've gone ahead and started a game without the events activated just to be sure, aside from minor things (I took all of Poland and the sovjets got nothing hehe) havent noticed any thing disturbing.

One odd thing I noticed tho was that once I researched the Panzer IV my panzer 1/2 (cannot remember which you start with in the beginning), got upgraded to Panzer IVs the following turns..
This hasnt happend to me in the 1939 map so Im thinking that its not intended, otherwise it could be slightly abused to quite quickly have a army of Panzer IVs.

ps, having played a bit now Im kinda overwhelmed with the amount of air power that france has build up, Im pretty hard pressed on the western front due to it which is making me fear the russian horde later on :)

I was going to include screenshots but I can't get CIV5 screenshots working on my machine, probably something to do with steam. Or me being new to CIV5/Steam.
Anyway here's my feedback on playing the 36 Europe/America map as Italy. I haven’t finished but I've reached a point where it would be difficult to lose which is when my interest normally wanes.
The only change I've made to the mod files is to remove the falloffrance line as per Gedemon's instructions as it was crashing for me.
Having to defeat the whole of the French empire probably balanced out the game for me as I was playing at my normal level and I'd since seen the recommendation to go two levels higher with this mod.
For the entire game I was running a huge surplus in personnel and, apart from a couple of turns, in materials as well. But I've been running an ever increasing gold deficit with the treasury at zero and in sep 42 I'm at minus 610. While there have been a few warnings I've only had one unit disbanded (battleship) but I did give away a lot of units at the beginning to Finland and the Easter Europeans before I stopped worrying about the warnings. Is this lack of gold the reason I can only build subs and destroyers now?
There have been some glitches in diplomacy I've had the automatic declaration of war on Yugoslavia three times now and it's probably only stopped as they're destroyed.
Finland is now angry with me as they say I'm at war with an ally of Finland but Finland is allied with Germany who I have a permanent alliance with. Curiously I also have captured Finnish territory even though I didn't have any units on those tiles. Those tiles had Soviet units on them.
Which brings me to the concept of captured tiles which I think is a good idea even if it's not as good as the influence driven war in CIV4. The AI doesn't seem to know how to use it. The tiles they take over just seem to be the result of where they were sending armies anyway. Also the AI will do nothing to reclaim tiles around it's city even if no enemy units are nearby and it has spare units to do this. This means that they can't work all the tiles and sometimes the city is cut off from it's trade route. Speaking of trade routes I noticed that an enemy ship off the coast of Hamburg will cut off that trade route despite the short road link to Berlin being open. Is that an issue with CIV5 as I've only just switched from CIV4?
The most annoying aspect of captured tiles is that as Italy I cannot work or capture German tiles. When a city is captured you get all the enemy tiles associated with that city but not your allies. So Germany has tiles around some of my captured cities which I can't take as they're an ally but at the same time I can't work them.
City states also seem very passive as they make no attempt to attack in my game, not even to regain lost territory when it would be very easy to take. Would it be better if all the city states were military rather than cultural? Also it would be nice to have the option of liberating a city if you capture one which used to belong to a friendly city state. It would have no resistance and would create a lot of influence over the grateful city state but obviously I wouldn't control the production or have somewhere to base planes. Is this because the code for city states is based on them having one city?
Anyway I hope you don't think I'm having a go at the mod as I've enjoyed it. This post is just meant to be constructive criticism for future version especially as it seemed from the forum that not many people chose Italy. Latest save attached instead of screenshots.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• RED_WWII_Autosave_EndTurn.7z
    2 MB · Views: 381
thanks for the feedback :)

Is this lack of gold the reason I can only build subs and destroyers now?
I think there is a limitation on number of units you can build in this scenario.

Which brings me to the concept of captured tiles which I think is a good idea even if it's not as good as the influence driven war in CIV4. The AI doesn't seem to know how to use it. The tiles they take over just seem to be the result of where they were sending armies anyway. Also the AI will do nothing to reclaim tiles around it's city even if no enemy units are nearby and it has spare units to do this. This means that they can't work all the tiles and sometimes the city is cut off from it's trade route.
I plan to have 'orphan' tiles switch back after some time, but I suspect this would cost some CPU time, so it's on hold ATM.

Speaking of trade routes I noticed that an enemy ship off the coast of Hamburg will cut off that trade route despite the short road link to Berlin being open. Is that an issue with CIV5 as I've only just switched from CIV4?
Vanilla issue AFAIK.

The most annoying aspect of captured tiles is that as Italy I cannot work or capture German tiles. When a city is captured you get all the enemy tiles associated with that city but not your allies. So Germany has tiles around some of my captured cities which I can't take as they're an ally but at the same time I can't work them.
I need to have another look at the code there, you should get 2 rings of tiles I think.

Also it would be nice to have the option of liberating a city if you capture one which used to belong to a friendly city state. It would have no resistance and would create a lot of influence over the grateful city state but obviously I wouldn't control the production or have somewhere to base planes. Is this because the code for city states is based on them having one city?
This kind of cities should be liberated automatically the next turn. can you confirm this bug ?

Hi Gedemon thanks for the response. In the save game I posted in this thread I'm just about to capture Norwich and the Soviet controlled former Finnish city of Jyvakyla if anybody wants to check the results. I've played a couple of turns just to check and when I capture Norwich I get the German controlled tiles directly below but not the ones two tiles above despite Dunkirk being the closest German city. So in this case I'm getting one ring of tiles instead of the two needed.
The tile allocation after I capture Jyvakyla makes me suspect something has been corrupted in my game as I get a lot of tiles including ones directly next to Helsinki but the tile my inf launched it's attack from goes to Finland and they're still accusing me of trespassing. I get no option to liberate the city back to Finland and it doesn't happen automatically after a couple of turns. But I did get a couple of influence points.
The impression I got at first was that each city was allocated an area around it, which might be small in congested Europe or a huge area in the Sahara and that this area was given to the civ capturing the city. It worked fine in Africa and the middle east where there were no Germans but it's created a mess in Europe.
If this is the case then you shouldn't be able to capture tiles in the area of an allied civ but just liberate it for that ally.
By orphan tiles do you mean tiles belonging to a civ/city state which has been destroyed? This only seems like a minor issue compared with the AI not knowing what to do about tile captures. In my game there are Soviet tiles to the east of Warsaw but the nearest Soviet city is Kiev. There are plenty of German troops in the area but the AI would prefer to not move for the turn rather than reclaim the tiles for Warsaw to work. Maybe it shouldn't be a high priority for the AI, definitely below the capture and defense of tiles, but it's all too easy to paralyze and cut off a city by driving around it and the AI will do nothing.

Cheers

Peter

I have the same problem I posted about earlier except during Russia's turn on the combined Eastern seaboard Europe map. The last thing that was done before crashing (according to the log) was checking if a convoy had reached it's destination on certain plots. I think it's a problem with the convoy's for all maps.

Attachments

• Lua.zip
    10.9 KB · Views: 264
Ah yes, there is a spitfire in the middle of the egyptian desert!
That wasn't my problem, I found no Spitfire in any desert. Gedemon you might want to look at the convoy system in general. When I deleted British convoys on the 1936 map, I missed a few and when I went back and got rid of all of them the crash did not occur. And my problem on the Combined Eastern Seaboard/Europe map was solved by deleting all the Russian convoys.

maybe there is a convoy route that as an invalid plot set as destination.

This scenario crashes for me as soon as I go into the city screen, and I see not clue in the lua log why it would :)

Since Im using final version of v31 and you're working on v32 now, I dont know if the lua file would be helpful at all for you ?

Top Bottom