Caveman 2 Cosmos

I am playing a game on Eternal gamespeed with raging barbarians, however, it is having little effect on the game so far. I don't like sending my units all over the place to explore (because it is so unrealistic and I play the game how I would in real-life to kinda get an idea of what people had to deal with), and once the AI starts building their scouts and trackers, they are uninhibited from going all over the place and now there are no barbarians anywhere around me. When a barbarian melee unit is near one of their scouts or trackers, they just race away from it with no trouble at all. So, they are free to just go and kill all of the animals. The barbarian melee units are far too few to provide any challenge. The point is, I am dealing with very little barbarian activity. They are not spawning enough. Is there any way to make it so they spawn more frequently?
Also, are animals going to spawn continuously, or are they going to stop spawning after a certain point? I would like to capture some later on, but don't go running all over the map looking for them, as nobody would do that, nor be able to do that in reality.
If there is a way to make animals spawn over the entire game, I would like to know how.

I just dl'ed v25 and I've gotten to the mid-classical era and I was wondering... how close are you guys to the multiple-map thing (Moon, Solar system, Galactic) or is that not even on the table yet? I do have some ideas for that if not the technical expertise.

I am playing a game on Eternal gamespeed with raging barbarians, however, it is having little effect on the game so far. <snip>.

The barbarian melee units are far too few to provide any challenge. The point is, I am dealing with very little barbarian activity. They are not spawning enough. Is there any way to make it so they spawn more frequently?

<snip>

Raging Barbs makes them more aggressive but Not more Abundant. Barb World helps in this matter as it gives the Barbs a City for every "player" in the game at game setup. So if you start with 7 AI there will be 8 Barb cities placed on the Map.

Also maps that only have 1 or 2 landmasses will lose their "wilderness" faster than Maps that give Multiple landmasses.

A tip for animals spawn. If you can encircle an area with your Cities and leave the core unsettled you will have a source of animals as long as your Culture doesn't eat the area up. Also only send in your hunter units after new animals have spawned. Subdue what you can/want then clear the hunters and other units out to let the animals respawn.

Doesn't hurt to leave a resource like Bison etc. "unworked" in that encircled area, as the undeveloped resources help with the spawn.

JosEPh

I just dl'ed v25 and I've gotten to the mid-classical era and I was wondering... how close are you guys to the multiple-map thing (Moon, Solar system, Galactic) or is that not even on the table yet? I do have some ideas for that if not the technical expertise.

Well, it depends on what your definition of 'close' is. We have the graphical portion of that in Viewports, but we only still have one map. I expect that we won't have Multi-Maps in even an alpha until V27, and even then it will take several more versions to fully implement and polish it.

Have just changed from v25 to the SVN version (v26 pre release) and was just wondering how the SVN element works. Does it automatically update when you guys change stuff and if so does it just update the original files or the game files in the mod folder. Or do you have to repeat this:
1) Create an empty folder somewhere not inside 'program files'
2) Right click and drag the root folder of your working copy to this new folder
3) Select the 'export without versioned files' option
4) Move the result into your mods folder (and rename it from C2C to Caveman2Cosmos)

to get the latest version.

Also could you tell me the major changes from v25 (I think the civics have been reworked and gold is alot harder to come by but I could be wrong.) to the SVN version or direct me to the correct thread that discusses these changes.

Many Thanks

Have just changed from v25 to the SVN version (v26 pre release) and was just wondering how the SVN element works. Does it automatically update when you guys change stuff and if so does it just update the original files or the game files in the mod folder. Or do you have to repeat this:
4) Move the result into your mods folder (and rename it from C2C to Caveman2Cosmos)

This is what I do for every mod I "do" svn:

1. Create a "temp" folder.
2. Right click on an empty spot in the temp folder, choose SVN checkout, connect to the repository, download the mod.
3. Extract the entire folder to a second temp folder, copy that folder to the BTS\mods folder, and zip the mod. This step is of course optional.
4. When I update, I update the first folder only (by right clicking and choosing "update SVN", not "SVN checkout"). When I want to play that update, I repeat step 3, and delete the "working" folder in the BTS folder and replace it with the new mod.
5. Never update your folder in the BTS folder, and always delete that folder before replacing with the update.

There is no "automatic update", and I wouldn't use it if it did.

Also could you tell me the major changes from v25 (I think the civics have been reworked and gold is alot harder to come by but I could be wrong.) to the SVN version or direct me to the correct thread that discusses these changes.

Many Thanks

Exactly what you say above is the way I use it, and the way I would recommend. Updateis not automatic - you need to rigth click on the root 'trunk' and swelect SVN Update, whichnwill then download all changed files since you last updated (and only those). Having done that re-export as per your recipe above.

Hey... noobish question time again:
I seem to have broken my SVN references on my mods. Must I re-download a whole new one at this point or is there a shortcut to re-establishing the connection?

I accidentally removed Tortoise on my old computer and that broke the relationships to the SVN so now that I've got the mod folders ported over and the newest version of Tortoise installed on both, I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to re-linkup.

I seem to have broken my SVN references on my mods. Must I re-download a whole new one at this point or is there a shortcut to re-establishing the connection?

I accidentally removed Tortoise on my old computer and that broke the relationships to the SVN so now that I've got the mod folders ported over and the newest version of Tortoise installed on both, I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to re-linkup.

Give that I have had to do this 3 times in the last week, every time I just right clicked on my working SVN and selected update and it worked.

I had nearly the same issue a few weeks ago and after trying several things for an hour or so I gave up and just re-downloaded the whole thing.

Hey folks,

I've been tooling right along with v25 until today when all of the sudden the game CTD's during a turn switch (AI moves). I tried the svn version, but no joy. My rig is not the youngest one in the lot anymore, so I was thinking that this might be a oom issue. But there are no error windows or even a log entry in Event Viewer. The game just dies and dumps the memory. Has anyone been experiencing this or a similar issue as well? And more importantly, what can one do about it?

My system:
Core: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.40GHz
RAM: 4GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250

Hey folks,

I've been tooling right along with v25 until today when all of the sudden the game CTD's during a turn switch (AI moves). I tried the svn version, but no joy. My rig is not the youngest one in the lot anymore, so I was thinking that this might be a oom issue. But there are no error windows or even a log entry in Event Viewer. The game just dies and dumps the memory. Has anyone been experiencing this or a similar issue as well? And more importantly, what can one do about it?

My system:
Core: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.40GHz
RAM: 4GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250

Hm, Do you have viewports enabled? If not, and enabling them circumvents the crash, then it is most likely a memory issue, which using Viewports will solve. If that doesn't help, post a minidump, which is found in your base Beyond the Sword folder, and I or someone else can take a look at it and see what is happening.

Just want to throw a little add on regarding CTDs. Not sure if this helps anyone, but thought I'd mention it.

I have found that I get far fewer CTDs if I start C2C after a reboot. My daughter plays vanilla BTS and the official mods. If I start C2C after she's been playing (often times also having to change the computer's logon user_id) I'm far more likely to get a CTD. I still occasionally get them even after a reboot... but they are orders of magnitude less frequent.

I do run with viewports (kinda have to. I started the game without viewports played for 3.5 hours. Then every time I tried to load the save game and play it I got a CTD. After turning viewports on I was able to continue playing *with the above observations regarding rebooting before playing*.

For the record, my computer is even older (Pentium 3Ghz, WinXP, 3GB, NVidia 7600GT)

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but I encountered something I didn't understand last night. Thought I'd mention it here before I posted it to the bug thread, to see if it is simply something I'm missing:

I got the Divination Tech and wanted to start buiding the Oracle. I noted in the pedia that it didn't have any prereqs (or maybe it had the size 6+ one and I overlooked it). Anyway I noticed that I could only build it in 3 of my cities. Those 3 cities, sizes: 11, 9 & 7 (a recently captured cultural border isolated but coastally linked enemy capital). However I also have a size 8 city, on the same land mass and with linked cultural borders to my capital that was not allowed to build it (nor, if I remember correctly, any other pop required wonders).

Hm, Do you have viewports enabled? If not, and enabling them circumvents the crash, then it is most likely a memory issue, which using Viewports will solve. If that doesn't help, post a minidump, which is found in your base Beyond the Sword folder, and I or someone else can take a look at it and see what is happening.

Again, no joy. I enabled Viewports and tried with the default 40x40 and a 40x20 setting. Both times the game crashed again at the turn change, during the AI calculations as before. It made no difference. I tried to find the minidump like you suggested but there wasn't one where you said and windows search also said no [/littlebritainvoice;)]. This is very frustrating.... Would it help if I mailed you the save game?

Again, no joy. I enabled Viewports and tried with the default 40x40 and a 40x20 setting. Both times the game crashed again at the turn change, during the AI calculations as before. It made no difference. I tried to find the minidump like you suggested but there wasn't one where you said and windows search also said no [/littlebritainvoice;)]. This is very frustrating.... Would it help if I mailed you the save game?

The dump is in the base Beyond the Sword folder, NOT the mod folder. Also, are you using Steam to play Civ 4?

The dump is in the base Beyond the Sword folder, NOT the mod folder. Also, are you using Steam to play Civ 4?

Thank you for clarifying but there is no dump file in the base BtS folder. I really wish there was, but I checked there and windows search only found 2 instances of CvGlobals.cpp and 1 instance of WriteMiniDump.exe. I am not using Steam to play Civ4. Its all old skool here... ;)

Thank you for clarifying but there is no dump file in the base BtS folder. I really wish there was, but I checked there and windows search only found 2 instances of CvGlobals.cpp and 1 instance of WriteMiniDump.exe. I am not using Steam to play Civ4. Its all old skool here... ;)

Hm, I have had that happen to me before, so I can't help with that. Is it repeatable from a specific savegame? What version are you using (v25 or SVN), and if SVN, what revision?

Hm, I have had that happen to me before, so I can't help with that. Is it repeatable from a specific savegame? What version are you using (v25 or SVN), and if SVN, what revision?

Yes the crash works every time with the game I was playing. I started the game in v24, converted to v25 and when I got to this point in v25, the crashes started. Went back a few turns, crashed again at this turn. When I heard about the svn version I thought I'd give that a try; I used the version from yesterday. Still the crashes during the AI turn. As we speak I am downloading r3442...

Top Bottom