NinNES I: Antiquity Broken

To: Alba Longa

We would like to make a trade proposal of Tetwani wool for Latin wheat. Would you accept this offer?

Can't do this quite yet.

Send a ship or two towards Calabria, and the merchants there will open diplomatic doors for you. You can probably do this next turn.

Wait, wait, wait!

I was wrong! You can do that!

Sorry, sorry. Belay that order!

Blood

"What do you see, Setla?" Wulfaz asked, as he observed the withered crone studying the bones and pieces of wood on the stamped earthen ground of his hall. "The Gods bear us no good will, until we have deemed us worthy in their eyes. Our people are far scattered and are feuding against each other, you must unite them, Wulfaz." she finally said. Wulfaz was obviously not pleased with the answer and stood up from his high seat and strode angrily through his hall. "These fools mistrust my lead they think I'm weak. But I feel the Gods choose me to bring them into a glorious future! If I must I will show them my might in the way I showed it to the strange ones refusing to leave this land to us! Teiwaz is my witness!".
Setla the old priestess gathered her oracle bones and threw them another time. The sound of the new patterns forming again drew the interest of Wulfaz. "I see. But not the Gods of the north are reigning in this lands. These foreign Gods rule the heavens above and the earth beneath us. We may have slaughtered their worshippers and driven them out of our lands, but the Gods are still here." Setla said.
Wulfaz let himself fall onto his high seat and waved to one of his daughters in law to bring him more of the good brew the women were making. "So crone, tell me, what can I do to gain the favor of this foreign Gods? Which sacrifices are to be made?" he contemplated, as his daughter in law brought him a new horn filled with brew. Setla was silent but she stared in his direction. No, her gaze was not directed at him, rather at Faigra the beauty his son conquered for his own in the last autumn. She was fair and served him well, and did as his son told her. Now he was away, leading a hunt, as he was a ferocious fighter and a silent hunter. He will not be pleased, Wulfaz thought. No, not at all.
He waited until Faigra was gone and then he asked the Crone: "Who is the God most powerful, who deserves such a fair gift?". The crone sighed "I already mourn for her, but I am only the messenger of the powers most high. But no God, is as mighty as the Goddess on whose banks we live. Donawō, as we and the people of the land before have had called her, for she is the supreme ruler of this country. Send her rich gifts and she shall guide you and your people to greatness.". Wulfaz answered: "So shall it be. On the feast of the setting sun, I will sacrifice Faigra and much more to achieve the greatness you promised me. But be true to your prophecy, women, or you will be sent to the Gods as well!". "As you say, Wulfaz" Setla answered quietly.

---​

Shiny Copper

"What is this place?" Aethal wondered aloud, as he spied through the thick hedge. "The people look so strange ...". "Shush! Aethal, be quiet! These foreign folk will not welcome us." Hrabanas answered quietly. They observed the busy people working on the fields from afar until the sun set and only few of them could be seen outside. "We have to go." Hrabanas said as he deemed the situation safe. "Wulfaz has to come to know about this place. I'm sure great riches wait for us! Have you seen their tools? They were made out of a weird, shiny material.". Aethal looked indecisively at the big settlement. "Yes, I think this material is called copper ... But, this won't be an easy fight, like the fights in our homeland. Maybe we should follow the words of the priestess. She said: Dead cows cannot be milked ..." Aethal mused. Hrabanas snorted angrily as he heard his younger brother. "Hogwash! This old crone doesn't know anything about a man's work! Father was right, as he said that you are half a woman yourself! Come or you will be left behind." Hrabanas strode away, before his brother could give an answer. Aethal glanced back a last time at the city, as he rose from the dusty ground to follow his older brother. My brother has a short temper, he thought, Wulfaz will prove more patient, as he has a wise counselor ...

To: The Veneti

Greetings, people of the south! We mean you no harm, as long as you let our scouts travel freely through your lands. The peace may open paths for trade, if you are interested ...

Do I sent orders this turn or the next?

This turn.

Everyone still has about 80 hrs to send orders, but the current status is this:

Received Orders:

Calabria
Macedonia
Heruli
Thuringians
Athens
Veneti

Not Received Orders:

Tetwan
Troy
Alba Longa (revised form)
Phoenicia
Urartu

(My apologies for not having done anything so far; I didn't notice this thread had opened.)

To: Athens

This seems like a fair trade to us. We will also be willing to guard these trade ships with our navy up until they pass by Rhodes and Crete. Their safety will be your responsibility from there out.

To: Veneti

Unfortunately, we cannot agree to this trade. We have just agreed to a proposal by Athens to trade timber, much more in abundance for us than ivory, in exchange for wine and stone. They are even closer to us, and so the route is less at risk then sending ships all the way to your people. However, we may be willing to accept a purely cash offer for this ivory instead.

Do I have contact with the Hittites? If so what resources do they have? They do not seem to be in the stats (or have I just gone completly insane?).

To: Athens

This seems like a fair trade to us. We will also be willing to guard these trade ships with our navy up until they pass by Rhodes and Crete. Their safety will be your responsibility from there out.

To: Phoenicia

Good. We will take up protection of these ships as they journey into the Aegean Sea.

Also, revised orders.

OOC:: Rhodes and Crete were known by their respective names in 1000 BC ? Just a query

@spaceman98-

Yes, you have contact. They have iron (not going to trade at all for right now), horses, and copper. They're not there right now, I am going to add them in the update along with the other NPCs.

@bonefang-

For the purposes of this NES, we are using modern-day geography names. Makes things easier. I don't actually know what they were called back then.

OOC: I'm not quite sure of that, but I was just too lazy to bother looking up the historically accurate names of the islands. A cursory glance at Wikipedia says the traditional Greek name for Rhodes was "Ρόδος" (Rodos, or so says Google Translate), while the name "Crete" hadn't appeared until Homer composed the Odyssey.

ooc: I am a Greek, so, if you want, you can ask me about the historic name of a Greek Island or territory.

Out of curiosity, what are the traditional names for Crete and Rhodes, christos?

Ρόδος and Κρήτη or Καπτάρα.

73 Hour Warning

OOC: Can I play? This would be my first NES, so I might need some help... :blush:

Player/Nation: topsecret/Scythian Tribes
Leader Name: Chief Koloksai
Background of Leader: Chief Koloksai, a young man of 18, has just assumed the mantle of ruler. Koloksai, a former warlord from the smallest tribe, has formed a coalition of power and is planning to establish a Scythian empire like no other empire before. Without experience, this young warlord-turned-chief must lead his tribe to greatness.
Capitol: Kazakh in the Kazakh Steppe

Top Bottom