Brainstorming new interface buttons.

Grandraem

Alchemist
Hi all,

I'm working on the interface buttons for my mod - the buttons that appear on the bottom of the main window for selecting unit actions.

I would love to completely redesign ALL the buttons, but unfortunately I don't have the time to do that. However, I do want to change quite a few of the existing buttons. I've downloaded some available, but some still need changing.

I thought I'd make a thread to ask for opinions or suggestions for a few. Please note that I want the style to resemble the other buttons (ex. monochromatic). I'll be making them myself (unless someone WANTS to make them for me - I wouldn't complain!), I just thought I might get better suggestions than what I would come up with on my own.

The first one I want is a new "Disband" button. I want to use the "death" one, or at least a similar one, for something else, so I need a new "Disband" button. Any suggestions for a symbol I could use?

Also, I really would love to replace the "Skip Turn" button, the one that looks like a circle with a slash through it. I just can't think of anything creative enough for it at the moment.

Any suggestions for either of these would be greatly appreciated! :)

You started a new thread while the elves were busy :lol: - so here's the transferred content:

Would something like this be easier to identify as a teleport button?

View attachment TardisButton.PCX

Used the same colormap as the button pcx in Lord Malbeth's Teleport Button thread. So it should be fairly easy to CnP into that or another button pcx.

Thanks Blue Monkey,

Actually, although I was inquiring about the "T" Button while re-doing the buttons for my mod, I haven't incorporated the "Teleport" function into it, so I won't be using that button. Thank you though, for taking the time to post that. :)

Well, I will sort of need a teleport button, I suppose, as "Airdrop" is replaced by "Teleport" in my mod, but the Tardis wouldn't be recognizable to the D&D world, so I'll probably just create something that looks "magicky" (I can't imagine that being an actual word, but it suits the purpose!) for the button, or I might alter one of the original buttons and use that.

At the moment, I'm just a little stumped on what to use as a replacement for the current "Disband" button.

Just be honest with your units...

Attachments

• disband.jpg
    disband.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 139
The Skull works OK for Disband because the Unit Dies or is Destroyed but You could use a simple Letter "D" on a Button to indicate Death or Destruction.

For the TARDIS, I use the AirDrop button and made that Button a Combination design of a Parachute and Sewer Manhole because that same Button is used for Teleport, Use Sewers and Paradrop. I posted examples on the other Thread.

Thank you though, for taking the time to post that. :)
Your welcome. Just posted it on the off chance that someone else following the thread might find it useful.
At the moment, I'm just a little stumped on what to use as a replacement for the current "Disband" button.
If you're using the skull for something else & wanting a different "end of turn" then how about this for "disband":

(indexed .png - colormap should match buttons pcx index)

Thanks for the suggestions! You guys are great! :goodjob:

As for the ones involving death,

I wanted to change the skull because I'll be using it (or something very similar) probably for my "bomb" button.

Even though the unit "dies" visually when you disband them, I look at that as being possibly literal in my evil civs, such as "The Orcs of Thar", but only symbolic for some of the civs such as the elves, and because of that I don't want an icon that represents death, though I do like the suggestions I was given.

Blue Monkey,
I like your crossed out sword a lot, but even more so the idea of a broken sword (or perhaps shield). I'll probably experiment with some pics for that! :thumbsup:

Does anyone have any creative ideas for a replacement for the "Skip Turn" button? I thought of perhaps using the hand from "Wait" and replacing the "Wait" with an hourglass, but I'm sure there are better ideas for "Skip Turn"!

I think the triangle/double triangle thing with the line would now be more universally understood for "skip." Or some sort of circle with an arrow.

Does anyone have any creative ideas for a replacement for the "Skip Turn" button? I thought of perhaps using the hand from "Wait" and replacing the "Wait" with an hourglass, but I'm sure there are better ideas for "Skip Turn"!
The roll-over & select versions of the button could have the hourglass turning (sideways, then inverted) to give the idea of turning over to an opponent - like a timer in chess matches.
I like your crossed out sword a lot, but even more so the idea of a broken sword (or perhaps shield). I'll probably experiment with some pics for that! :thumbsup:
Same could be done with the sword - whole, then broken.

Thanks again for the great suggestions! :goodjob:

The idea to use the capabilities of the rollover and select versions is very creative as well, and does open some nice possibilities for all the buttons!

Top Bottom