BOTM 58 First Spoiler

@sossos
I checked SGOTM threads (GOTM Home Page / C-IV S-GOTM / Discussion Forum) - is it right? I confess that I was completely lost there :blush:. I don't know the mechanics of that game. I think it will be hard to find the tips I need in the midst of so much information :confused:! But I'll try again...

@Falabello

Yes, there are several teams playing the same game, and there may be different opinions in the same team. You may download the save, play yourself and compare with the result from others.

I don't think you'll find a definite answer by reading all of the different thoughts, but I think it's the best way to learn. Especially from the debates in the winner team, we can see how others are thinking which can help us here or there in the game.

There is a lot of information to absorb, and I'm sure many points of view. The biggest problem with learning this way is you can't post about what you read while the game is going on, so you don't always know if you've understood everything or missed a crucial point.

@Jesusin

I got music at the expense of 1 GP. Cyrus is crazy.

I didn't choose to found my own religion because I think it will reduce the rate of religion flipping from AIs. Diplomacy is another concern if you try to make use of your religion. Toku and Nappy are tough guys to please at the beginning. God bless you.

Not sure about the meaning of the 1st sentence. Do you mean you bulbed Music with a GProphet?

About my game: goal was fast culture, and I followed roughly the hints shared in the pre-game thread.:thanx: However, as a weakling non-deity player, my 1st build was a quechua to help with fogbusting.

My build order was Q/WB/worker/WB/WB/Q/LH/Settler/GLH (in 2040BC to be on the safe side). Unfortunately, due to lack of exploration, and trading partners, GLH wasn't exactly a brilliant wonder in the BC's. Toku wouldn't trade, and it took me a while to find Stalin - 50BC?

Initial tech path was fish/min/BW/sail/mason/TW/pottery/AH. I settled silver/seafood before pigs site. From then on I went poly/writing/aesth/lit/math/music. I was 1st to Music in 75BC. Only then I was able to trade for Alpha and minor stuff.

Summary to 1AD:
. On the positive side:
- No DOW from the AI's
- 1st to Music
- GLH and HG (to be finished 1AD).
- only 1 barb galley and only 2 fishing nets destroyed
- Toku's Confu and Nappy's Buddhism spread to my cities.

. What could have gone better:
- exploration
- lost Parthenon by a few turns, should have started it earlier when I could
- 8 cities, 36 pop, 176bpt @100%, 106bpt breakeven
- Toku and Nappy have different religions, so I had to chose one of them to hate me - and it was Toku ;)

Thank you for sharing. I'm learning how to win cultural victory in this game so we are on the same way.

I'll list the data after I complete the game, but I can list some facts based on my memory.

1. I researched MC and drama first, so music becomes a competition in my game. I sacrifice a great merchant and start a golden age to ensure I can be the 1st to discover music. I made some mistakes here, so I failed to save a turn of revolt.
2. No DOW either and I don't convert to any religion.
3. TGL and the Colossus is built.
4. one fishing boat is destroyed
5. finally I got 4 religions but I can't remember exactly how many I got at AD1. I rarely reserch divine right but I do in this game.

I didn't choose to found my own religion because I think it will reduce the rate of religion flipping from AIs.

I don't understand this sentence very well. Do you mean you want AIs to expend a lot of turns in anarchy?

I don't understand this sentence very well. Do you mean you want AIs to expend a lot of turns in anarchy?

I mean if we build our own religion, we may have lower chance to get other religions spread from AIs. As you know, our cities are connected at the beginning and much more easily to be infected by our own religion

I mean if we build our own religion, we may have lower chance to get other religions spread from AIs. As you know, our cities are connected at the beginning and much more easily to be infected by our own religion

Ah, you are right.

Now, at the beginning we weren't sure how many rivals would be accessible by galley, so I was trying to get my first (and maybe only) religion.

I realised that too. I don't know the mechanics but I deliberately stayed off "official" religion until Pacifism to avoid diplo penalty, I noticed that foreign religions seemed to spread easier and also missionaries easily spreading religion in 3 and 4-religion cities, in fact I think my missionaries only failed to spread once in my game.

Don't know if I will get to finish, but enjoyed the start. The pre-discussion was very helpful. One thing that wasn't really discussed was the barb galleys. They were a headache.
High points: managed GLH 1840 BC, went for Colossus after GM bulbed MC 500 BC. I guess I traded to Nappy 1 turn to early, he stole it from me at 100 BC. Have still only met Toku and Darius besides, but I still have the island to myself. Only 4 cities, but settlers in the works. Will do my best to stay out of war, but doesn't seem likely since all 3 are different religions.

One thing that wasn't really discussed was the barb galleys. They were a headache.
Agreed. I actually did mention them in my post, in the context that one of the reasons I was content to take Metal Casting with the oracle is that it gave me early access to building triremes, which was a godsend after losing numerous fishing boats and galleys.

Agreed on the Barb galleys. They are a real pain, and caught me pretty much un-prepared and not really knowing how to deal with them. I would love to here how the better players cope with such a galley onslaught.

Having my test game, early game was 'easy'. TGL 1680 BC, with no other city. 2nd city near silver in 1280 BC, 3rd 'animal' city 925 BC.
My REX sucked as usual. Toku was first to Gold and Copper sites. 300 BC I revolted to OR+ HR. 25 BC I discovered Currency. At 1 AD I had only 5 cities. Fortunately I was trading with everybody and got about 10 techs from trades.

Top Bottom