A Fantasy Mod Planning/Recruitment

or... make it so they really need a land-base to shine.... and they stay mediocre with only sea-cities. (and go back to mediocre if they lose all their land-cities)

no idea now but...eh, that might come by brainstorming :D

or... make it so they really need a land-base to shine.... and they stay mediocre with only sea-cities. (and go back to mediocre if they lose all their land-cities)

Well, the simple fact that being in the sea would keep them from certain resources sort of does this. I mean, I'm not gonna be plopping down an iron resource in the middle of the sea; that'd just be silly. But they'll need resources like iron to get deep into certain combat lines.
The idea is that, if the player wants to play them as a builder civ, then they don't *have* to expand to the mainland. However, it would certainly be to their advantage, even then. They'll certainly need to expand to the mainland for ~90% of the victory conditions.

rlaf I'd really like to see a good fantasy total conversion mod get done, but launching another project from scratch at this point runs too much risk of nothing actually getting completed (sadly the case with WHFB for Civ4 as we both know, where lots of effort went into planning but unfortunately due to implementation issues never made it through to a truly complete mod :(). I'm still hoping someone will be able to use my fantasy soundtracks lol if Civ5 can be made to use custom sounds with the DLL. How about continuing with the planned Naeralith mod or taking charge of it if Alzara is not active on it atm? It looks like a lot of effort has gone into it, it would be a shame to let that go to waste. Or alternately joining in to help with Pazyryk's mod, it's already nearing a beta release and looks really promising. PawelS is also working on a promising fantasy mod at a late stage of development, though I can't seem to find the thread for it atm. It's discouraging that the completion rate for planned total conversion mods is so low, but each of these looks like it has an excellent chance at success. :king:

rlaf I'd really like to see a good fantasy total conversion mod get done, but launching another project from scratch at this point runs too much risk of nothing actually getting completed (sadly the case with WHFB for Civ4 as we both know, where lots of effort went into planning but unfortunately due to implementation issues never made it through to a truly complete mod :().
I think part of the issue there was that the WHFB was so big. I mean, we had like 30civs, plus UUs, UBs, etc. (And I'm leaving a ton out, haha.) It was a very ambitious project. Very fulfilling, but a lot of work to be done. I'm thinking we'll keep this current project a little more digest-able, so to speak.

PawelS is also working on a promising fantasy mod at a late stage of development, though I can't seem to find the thread for it atm. It's discouraging that the completion rate for planned total conversion mods is so low, but each of these looks like it has an excellent chance at success. :king:
Well, PawelS has offered to join forces, and I've agreed. We're planning on combining his mod with some of my civs and ideas. The thread is here. One thing we definitely needed (in fact, a lot of fantasy mods needed) was a graphics person. Fortunately, magzhi has agreed to do some of that for us.
Btw, on the subject of graphics, do you know if Ahriman (and the rest of them) would mind if we used some of the WHFB unit art, icons, etc.?

I really like Naeralith, but I don't really have permission to use any of their stuff. (In fact, we never even got as far as offering a pre-alpha before theChanger and Alzara dropped off the map. And all I had was the resource files I created anyway. :lol:)

As of right now, I'm waiting on PawelS. Since Era of Miracles is all his work, so I'm gonna wait on his opinion. However, if he agrees, the more the merrier!

That's great to hear, I'm definitely looking forward to Age of Miracles as well as Pazyryk's fantasy mod. I'm sure the WHFB team wouldn't mind if you reuse art or anything else from WHFB that might help you. Much of the fantasy art was borrowed from FFH or Fall Further etc and its safe to say almost all modders would be glad to see content reused in Civ5 mods if possible. Once sound modding is enabled, let me know if you want to have any of the fantasy soundtracks I put together & you're welcome to use them! :king:

I think part of the issue there was that the WHFB was so big. I mean, we had like 30civs, plus UUs, UBs, etc. (And I'm leaving a ton out, haha.) It was a very ambitious project. Very fulfilling, but a lot of work to be done. I'm thinking we'll keep this current project a little more digest-able, so to speak.
That's true.. often its all too easy to get caught up in extensive planning & not realize how feasible it will be to actually implement.

It would make things so much faster to develop total conversion mods if there were a tool that allowed you to enter multiple units / buildings etc in an excel-like tabular format, rather than individual XML entries or SQL commands. The other day I was looking through some of the early tools being developed by Civ5 modders which looked incredibly useful (especially Lemmy's graphical techtree editor); unfortunately I couldn't get these working with the current version of Civ5. Is there any prospect of getting an editing tool like this working? This seems like it would really help more mods get developed.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=395209
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=393390

It would make things so much faster to develop total conversion mods if there were a tool that allowed you to enter multiple units / buildings etc in an excel-like tabular format, rather than individual XML entries or SQL commands.

That's not the hard part. You can just use an XML editor if you want your XML to look like Excel when you're inputting values. Admittedly there's more than one table that needs editing.

This conversation is a bit of a threadjack, but take a look at what Gedemon's done with R.E.D. Modpack. Rather than having to copy-paste a million times, he has cleverly created extremely readable SQL files that place units in a temporary database table [see SQL\4-*.sql] and then a separate SQL [SQL\5-CompleteTable.sql] that grabs the data out of the temporary database and fills the art defines with it.

In that case, he's not changing any unit statistics, but something similar could certainly be done to make it easier for anyone who's adding a bunch of buildings and units. It just needs to be created once, and then it's modular.

Update: 11/6/12 @~1:30AM

Ok, guys! Have big news here!

We have a team now.

Team:
Spoiler :
  • PawelS: Main Designer, Lead Programmer
  • rocklikeafool: Secondary Designer, Programmer
  • orlanth: Programmer
  • trystero49: Programmer
  • magzhi: Graphics, Programmer

First things first. The overall plan will be to combine PawelS's EoM civs and ideas with my civs and ideas.
Note: We'll probably stick with the name "Era of Miracles" (or "EoM", for short); if you can think of a better name, feel free to suggest it. PawelS said:
The mod name can be changed too. ("Era of Miracles" is a paraphrase for "Age of Wonders").
PawelS is going to use a service called Dropbox to share the files with everyone. Note that Dropbox is free. (The link below also has a brief description video for the program.) So, he will need your email. If you're uncomfortable giving out an email address (even just one created solely for the purpose of EoM communication), then let us know. We'll find some other way to get you the files. Can't really do anything without the files, obviously. Once you get the files, everyone take a look at them. And I'll add emails to a text file as you post them. You can find the text file on Dropbox.

Download Dropbox here.

Here's a list of mechanics. You'll notice some of these were discussed via PMs between PawelS and myself. Others were taken directly from my head or PawelS's EoM Developer Diary (found here).

• Mechanic 1: Settlers
    Spoiler :
    From here:
    PawelS said:
    I decided that before I add anything fantasy to the mod, I'll make the most important change that I always wanted in the game: the new settler rules. I made a similar change to Civ4 in the past (for my private use, I haven't published it), but for Civ5 I can do it in a better way, because of the global happiness. My idea is that settlers should be unbuildable, and you should get them for free when you have enough happiness. The factors that affect happiness will be changed too: you'll get 10 unhappiness per city and 0.5 per citizen, so the number of cities will be a more important factor than in the normal game, and population less important.

From a PM:
    PawelS said:
    We can make my happiness model optional by making it a separate mod that depends on the main mod. It will change some happiness rules, forbid the production of settlers, and give settlers to players when happiness is high enough.

So...if you don't like the happiness model, just don't enable the mod for it. Depending on how it all goes, the happiness model may not be a separate mod in the alpha.

• Mechanic 2: Magic
    Note that Magic will not be in the initial alpha release.
    Spoiler :

PMs:
    PawelS said:
    Mana will be the Faith yield renamed, and will allow purchasing summons (units purchased with Mana) and city enchantments (buildings purchased with Mana). For now I'm planning only one type of Nodes, which give the Magical Power strategic resource, that is needed to maintain some magical units and buildings. Another strategic resource is Divine Power, which comes mostly from buildings like temples, and is required for religious units (also there will be "Dark Power" for some civs). Adding more types of magical resources is possible later, when we have unit models we can use for various kinds of monsters...
    Rocklikeafool said:
    Hmm...I like this idea. I assume that spells will still be in separate schools? So, like "Fireball" is something in maybe the FireII promotion or something?
    PawelS said:
    Different schools of magic is a good idea, perhaps their availability can depend on the technologies you have researched, your civ type, or (like FFH), the types of nodes you control if we introduce more than one type. But, as I wrote above, it's not something we should do in an early version. I think the faith purchasing mechanic is good for summons, but the lack of unit models is a problem here - we need monsters of various kinds.

So, we've a few ideas for magic. Basically, it'll be replacing the G&K faith mechanic as "Mana". Summons will be bought with Mana, as will City Enchantments (which will basically be spells represented by a "building").

• Mechanic 3: Resources

Spoiler :

Summarized PMs:

Horses - mounted units
    Wood - siege machines, ships
    Elephants -- available only for some civs
    Iron - melee units (and some mounted too, like Knights), Cannons for civs with access to gunpowder
    Mithril - advanced units, like Paladins and Crusaders
    Mana* - mages and monsters

*Remember, Mana is generated in the manner of G&K's Faith resource. And it may also not be in the alpha, as magic definitely won't be in the alpha.

• Mechanic 4: Techs
    Spoiler :

This is Part 1 of the Tech Tree:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=330480&d=1346696666

This is Part 2:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=330607&d=1346880006

It's not finished, as the late game techs are not developed. PawelS said he's looking for ideas for those. So...wrack your brains, guys.

• Mechanic 5: Religion/Beliefs
    Probably won't be in alpha.
    Spoiler :

PM:
    PawelS said:
    I haven't done the beliefs yet, but I think they should represent individual gods, and allow building temples to those gods, which you can't build more than one per city. Some of them can give bonuses depending on local resources, so you have a reason to build them in specific cities. I'm thinking about making all beliefs come from the same pool, so there is no division into Pantheon, Founder, Follower and Enhancer.

• Mechanic 6: Food per Citizen
    Spoiler :

PawelS said:
    About food per citizen - recently I changed it to 4, and increased the base yields from terrains - grass gives 3 food, grass hills 1f2p, plains 2f1p, plain hills 3p, forest 1f1p1g, coast 2f1g, ocean 1f1g and so on.
    The basic idea is that PawelS and I both agreed that you shouldn't have megacities and/or fill the entire map with cities before late game. As part of ensuring that, food per citizen has been increased from the G&K requirements.

• Mechanic 7: Civs that will probably be combined
    Possibly subject to change.
    Spoiler :

For comparison purposes...
    Here's my Civ list:
    Spoiler :

1. Elves -- Sylvan loving, beautiful people. ( :woohoo: )
      Think Elves like in LotR, tree-loving but also with very large and beautiful cities. Very archer focused with special units like Faeries and Treefolk (a la the Migard Scenario in CivII ToT). They are ruled by their benevolent Highlords, the greatest of which is the High King.
    2. Dark Elves -- Elves exiled from the Elven homelands centuries ago. ( :evil: )
      Very similar in feel to the Dunmer in the Elder Scrolls series. Very martial with long-lived wizards/warlocks. Their homeland has very many interesting animals/creatures. Ruled by the Dreadlords of the great houses, the greatest of which is the Dreadking.
    3. "The Empire" (name subject to change) -- A Human empire.
      Think a Rome but with a more Fantasy flavor. The well-trained legions of "The Empire" defend its borders a tenacity bordering on the insane. The only bad trait of "The Empire" is its uncompromising nature and imperialistic bent. The empire is somewhat xenophobic, although those of non-human races have been known to acheive positions of influence and valor.
    4. Merfolk -- Water Dwellers ( :whew: )
      These sea-dwelling humanoids live in underwater cities. (Note: The Merfolk are the only race who can build cities in the ocean. There is going to be a strict limiting mechanic on this, btw, to prevent the AI from filling the ocean with Merfolk cities.) However, the majority of their cities are on dry land near the oceans, lakes, or large rives. A Merfolk is never at home, unless close to water.
    5. Daemon Worshipers -- ...they worship Daemons. ( :devil: )
      This civ is heavily into worshipping the Daemons of the Hell Acropolises (more on this realm later). Somewhat cosmopolitan, they includes members of all races, those of traditionally "good races" are in the minority. As expected of a civ that worships evil entities, the members are all cruel and devious. Many are twisted and distorted by their associations with Daemon powers.
    6. Orcs -- A tribe of orcs, goblins, trolls, and ogres ( :strength: )
      The orcs tend to be the most numerous and dominant. (Note: The Orcs civ will not the only "orcs". They are simply one tribe of goblinoids. One of the barbarian factions will be also very goblinoid.) He who is the strongest rules.
    7. Beastmen -- A race of intelligent, furred beasts who walk on all fours. ( :eek: )
      Think the "Khajit" from the Elder Scrolls series, except the Beastmen are of more animal forms than just cats. The Beastmen include all sentient animals, though most of their number are over 5 feet tall and weigh more than 200lbs. (91kg).
    8. Northmen -- Humans who live in the cold North ( :viking: )
      Think Doviello from FfH but with better armor and weapons. This martial nation of men originate from the Frozen North. A strict, hierarchichal society.
    9. Nation of Logic -- Followers of Logic ( :science: )
      Another cosmopolitan nation, this civ holds logic to be the greatest of virtues. They worship no gods, seeing following the whims of the gods to be illogical. All are welcome, as long as they hold to the dictates of logic.
    10. Dwarves -- Short, angry guys ( :p )
      Think a combination of the Khazad and the Luchuirp from FfH. Golems and technology is very integral part of their society. However, many Dwarves also prefer the feel of a good axe and the rush of close combat.

And here's PawelS' civ list:
    Spoiler :

1. Dreamers (Republic of Dreams)

Human explorers, inventors and pirates. An expansionist civilization with good naval units. They are one of the few civs that have access to gunpowder-based units - Musketeers and Cannons. Their most impressive UU is a flying ship.

2. Griffites (Griffite Kingdom)

A Human nation, resembling a medieval European kingdom. They specialize in mounted units, and get bonus yields from Pastures. They can also train Griffin units (I hope someone will convert this unit from FFH or make a new one).

3. Archons (Holy Archon Empire)

Humans with a Greco-Roman and religious theme (not unlike the Highmen/Archons from the Age of Wonders series). They have good priests and strong Legion units, as well as access to some divine beings, like the Angels (again, hopefully someone will make a model for such unit).

4. Essentes (Enchanted Kingdom of Essentes)

Humans with a strong sense of magic. They have good magical units, and generate more mana (yield) and magical power (strategic resource) than other races.

5. Calx aka Stone People (Dominon of Calx)

Human-like beings, strong at defense. They have access to a special improvement, called Creator Statue, which makes their nearby units stronger. They get bonus yields from Quarries, and are masters of Earth Magic.

6. Vodniks

Fresh water spirits, they get bonuses from rivers, lakes and marshes. -1 food from Plains. Masters of Water Magic.

7. Windwalkers

A fast Human-like race, all foot units get +1 movement. They are good at commerce and Air Magic.

8. Snobar (Snobar Clans)

The name "Snobar" comes from "Snow Barbarians" but they are a civ, not barbarians. Viking-like Humans, they get better yields from Snow and Tundra terrain, but also -1 production from Plains and -1 food from Flood Plains. Good at making amphibious assaults.

9. Nikkei (Empire of Nikkei)

Humans with a far-east theme. They have some "exotic" units and are good at science. Probably will have Japan's UA - damaged units fight as at full strength.

10. Azracs (Azrac Empire)

Humans living in the desert (the name comes from the original Age of Wonders game). They get extra yields from the Desert terrain and can build a special improvement there, but get one less food from Grassland. They have some special units, like Camels and Elephants (Elephants can also be used by Nikkei and Lemuria), and a unique process - Caravans, which gives some gold and some science (and also some culture and mana, if it's possible to make such process in the expansion or with the DLL), which is more effective than the standard processes that give only one yield type.

11. Lemuria (Tribes of Lemuria)

Humans living in the jungle. They have access to many jungle-dwelling creatures as UUs (need models). Also yield and combat bonuses related to Jungle. Good recon units.

12. Elves (Elven Kingdom)

Typical stuff - Bonuses in Forest, good archers, some special magical units. Good culture.

13. Halflings (Halfling Shire)

Good farmers. Units are weaker than other races, but can retreat from combat when losing. Less unhappiness from population (0.3 instead of 0.5), more from number of cities (12 instead of 10).

14. Gnomes (Gnomish Kingdom)

Inventors. They have access to many unique mechanical units, and get extra science from Workshops (it's an improvement that can be built on flatlands and gives production, like in Civ4). Good siege units.

15. Dwarves (Dwarven Kingdom)

As usual - good miners, combat bonus in Hills, melee units good at defense. Some gunpowder and steam units (Cannon, Steam Tank, Ironclad) are available to them.

16. Orcs (Red Horde)

They have the same units as the Barbarians. Can convert Barbarians in camps to their side. A combat oriented civ with an offensive bonus for melee units. Less unhappiness from number of cities (8 instead of 10), more from population (0.6 instead of 0.5).

The following civs probably won't be available in early versions of the mod, due to the complicated nature of their planned unique abilities, and/or the need for unit models:

17. Dark Elves

I'm thinking of an "Eternal Night" UA, which decreases the vision range of enemy units in their domain. Among UUs there should be some monstrous animals, like bats, spiders and snakes (so I need models for them).

18. Demon Cultists

Produced units get random mutations as promotions. Access to demonic units. Masters of Fire Magic.

19. Death Cultists

Necromancy - defeated enemies are converted to Undead units under their control. Access to Undead units.

20. Neutrium

Non-magical Humans - they don't get any mana and can't produce magical units and buildings, but they have access to some unique units and buildings, representing their superior culture and science.

Now, you'll notice a few of Civ ideas are very similar (which was purely coincidental, btw...but works out).
    Here's the Civs that are similar:
    • Snobar and Northmen -- Both Northern "barbarian" civs with a high sense of honor.
    • Dreamers and Nation of Logic -- Both very technological.
    • Elves...and Elves -- Should be obvious. :p
    • Dark Elves and Dark Elves -- Again, obvious. ;)
    • Dwarves and Dwarves -- ...yup.
    • Orcs and Orcs -- Mhmmm.
    • Demon Cultists and Daemon Worshipers -- Both get access to demonic units & use a lot of fire magic. Also some units will get random mutations, a la the Balseraphs in FfH.
    • Archons and The Empire -- Both use legions-style armies. I could see both being very pious as well. Think "the Holy Roman Empire" (now modern day Germany, Austria, and part of modern day France) and how that empire was essentially a somewhat religious empire BUT...with Roman-style legions.

There's a few others civs that either may not be in the mod or may be included later on or combined later on. We'll talk about this more in detail later on. For now, think we'll probably put 12 civs in the alpha.

• Mechanic 8: Civ Terrain Bonuses
    Won't be in alpha.
    Spoiler :

As in FfH, certain civs will be getting terrain bonuses.

Civs that will probably be getting bonuses:
    • Snobar/Northmen will get bonuses on snow/tundra/ice.
    • Elves will get bonuses on forests.
    • Vodniks will get bonuses on tiles near rivers, lakes, and marshes.
    • Azracs will get bonuses in deserts.
    • Dwarves will get bonuses on hills (may be done through somehow giving them a bonus for mines).
    • Merfolk will get bonuses from oceans & coasts.

• Mechanic 9: Impassable Terrain
    Won't be in alpha.
    Spoiler :

Some civs will be able to move on impassable terrain. For instance, Dwarves and Calx may be able to move onto mountain tiles. Merfolk may be able to move onto certain impassable ocean terrain.

Likewise, certain magic promotions and flying units will be able to cross impassable terrain.

• Mechanic 10: Merfolk Underwater Cities
    Won't be in alpha.
    Spoiler :

This mechanic is really my baby.
    Basically, there will be a new ocean terrain type called "Deep Ocean". (Either a seafood resource or "steam vents" [basically the underwater equivalent of hills] or "open ocean" [basically the underwater equivalent of plains] will have a chance to be on Deep Ocean). Merfolk underwater cities will work in the following manner:

To enable growth you need to build an "undersea granary" in the city (10prod to build):
    • Needed to enable growth higher than one;
    • To build an undersea granary, you need the presence of other buildings in the empire (a la cathedrals in CivIV) -> 1 undersea granary requires 3 harbors.

The capital has a special version of this mechanic:
    • Palace enable growth higher than one. Basically, a palace has the growth property of an undersea granary for free.

This idea comes courtesy of our friend Calavente.

Anyway, there may be more mechanics added later on, but I figure this is more than enough to get started.

Oh, we may be moving all of this to a new thread later on, so that we can combine my ideas and PawelS's ideas into one thread and have everything be better organized. Feel free to give feedback here for awhile, but I'll probably create the new thread tomorrow (the 8th). Make sure to post your emails & all that, guys. Thanks!

Edit:
I'll look into the requirements for getting your own Project & Mod Development subforum. It would certainly help us in the long run to have a subforum, to allow us to have different threads for different things. I also figure the mod will have several stages of development, etc.
Edit2: PM'ed Gedemon about what we need for our own P&J subforum.

nice :D

re-reading the civs from PawelS... I have some thoughts (yeh... again !!!)

DWARVES
Spoiler :
your dwarves are the like the Dwemer of Elder scrolles : like luirchips+khazad : golem, steampunk and big battle axes on little men-like guys....

PawelS have 3 "dwarves-like" civs (at least in my view) :
Clax (strong defense : stone-like guys (which ring for me either "stone golem" or "dwarf") + quarry),
gnomes (luirchips without the golems but having machine instead) and
dwarves: typical warhammer ones : big greedy battleaxes wielder with some gunpowder.

how about miwing all those concepts and have new dwarves ?
- magic-dwarves : I like the Calx... but maybe mixed with luirchips golems. (it would be close to the gnomes that Drizzt Do-Urden encounters in the under-dark) something like :
bonus in defense,
str bonus by the special improvement,
+ golems invocation (only near improvement ; improvement can be built in neutral territory ; or anywhere near some "summoner" unit ? but get even more boosted by the improvement than other units ?)
+ bonus from quarry AND mine
(or only from stone-like ressources: marble, stone, granite, gems, amber, ?salt?, jade...etc but not necessarily metal -silver, mithril, gold, copper, iron, adamanthium-),

- techno-dwarves : mix of gnomes and khazad (or khazad and Mechanos):
big battle axes
+ lot of steampunk,
+almost no magic spells
+uses the magic in other ways to powerup the steampunk machines (mana AND gold upkeep instead of only gold (units) or only mana (summons)) and possibly to buy some "runes": promotion that gives a bonus but drain mana gain ;
+ get bonus from workshops AND mines :
or not from MINES but from workshops and FORGES (buildings) and metals.
well...

Vodniks vs meermens.
Spoiler :
-they are freshwater dweller and meermen and saltwater ones.
-either you "fusion" them
or
-vodnik could become another water-civ that may rival the meermen :
some ideas:
°vodnik get "relatively huge" bonus for lakes and oasis and river tiles
°they get some waterwalking land units (a few, or all units) that cant go into ocean (to give them access to lakes but not challenge mermen)
°at high level/high tier, they get strong units that can go on salt water... and challenge the meermen (or they need scubas...or magic desalinization tools..)
°they cannot build cities on water tiles.
°but their granary UB is an "under-water granary" which allow to grow past size one on top of normal granary effect...
(You don't give their cities this limitation on growth but this enable them to conquer mermen under-water cities)
thus they can't build under-water cities but can take and use the mermen ones (lategame for ocean ones, but early for coastal ones)...
...Etc

nice :D

re-reading the civs from PawelS... I have some thoughts (yeh... again !!!)

DWARVES
your dwarves are the like the Dwemer of Elder scrolles : like luirchips+khazad : golem, steampunk and big battle axes on little men-like guys...
Well, they kind of are, but think that they've basically got a body like so.

Short but stocky. Very strong. Wear well-made armor and use well-made weapons. (Prefer, as far as close combat weapons, battleaxes or warhammers, possibly with a shield.) Good craftsmen. Etc. Probably one of the few civs that has access to cannons & some form of muskets/early pistols. Not as much as "steampunk" as much as being good with early forms of chemistry (mostly explosives). Probably won't have golems (that may be more of a gnomish things).

In contrast, the Dwemer were basically short Elves. In fact, in TES, calling the Dwemer "Dwarves" is actually a misnomer (and TES lore is usually clear that it's the Imperials who started that bad trend).

PawelS have 3 "dwarves-like" civs (at least in my view) :

Calx (strong defense : stone-like guys (which ring for me either "stone golem" or "dwarf") + quarry),

If I'm understanding it right, the best way to think of the Calx is as Stone-men. They probably could resemble this:

Very large, towering over most humans. Better on defense than offense (though I wouldn't want to be attacked by one either). Look like 9-10ft tall humans, with stone-y (literally) features. Hell, in that picture (which of a Forsaken World's "Stoneman"), his hair even looks like it's carved out of crystal.

gnomes (luirchips without the golems but having machine instead)
Well, gnomes are probably one of the smallest races (the other being Halflings), being even smaller than Dwarves. But, in contrast to Dwarves, gnomes are not naturally combative. They're not overly strong or stocky.

Many people would probably think of gnomes as "physically weak". To overcome that, gnomes have a lot of mechanical units. After all, if you yourself can't match your enemies' strength, then build something that can, right?

dwarves: typical warhammer ones : big greedy battleaxes wielder with some gunpowder.
Exactly. I guess that's what I was trying to also convey with my vision of Dwarves.

how about mixing all those concepts and have new dwarves ?
Spoiler Your ideas :
- magic-dwarves : I like the Calx... but maybe mixed with luirchips golems. (it would be close to the gnomes that Drizzt Do-Urden encounters in the under-dark) something like :
bonus in defense,
str bonus by the special improvement,
+ golems invocation (only near improvement ; improvement can be built in neutral territory ; or anywhere near some "summoner" unit ? but get even more boosted by the improvement than other units ?)
+ bonus from quarry AND mine
(or only from stone-like ressources: marble, stone, granite, gems, amber, ?salt?, jade...etc but not necessarily metal -silver, mithril, gold, copper, iron, adamanthium-),

- techno-dwarves : mix of gnomes and khazad (or khazad and Mechanos):
big battle axes
+ lot of steampunk,
+almost no magic spells
+uses the magic in other ways to powerup the steampunk machines (mana AND gold upkeep instead of only gold (units) or only mana (summons)) and possibly to buy some "runes": promotion that gives a bonus but drain mana gain ;
+ get bonus from workshops AND mines :
or not from MINES but from workshops and FORGES (buildings) and metals.
Well...I guess, to me, it's just that the Dwarves are separate from the Gnomes and the Calx. I mean, they have some similarities. But they'd all have very distinctive cultures and features.
For instance, a few basic features:
  • A Calx with always be stronger (even if only slightly) on defense than offense.
  • A Dwarf will always be similar to Warhammer Dwarves. Or Warcraft Dwarves.
  • A gnome will always be tinkering with gadgets and fielding machines (with gnome drivers) as units.
There will be more basic features that make them each distinctly different. Their units will definitely all look different and so on.

Vodniks vs meermens.-they are freshwater dweller and meermen and saltwater ones.
-either you "fusion" them
or
-vodnik could become another water-civ that may rival the meermen :
some ideas:
°vodnik get "relatively huge" bonus for lakes and oasis and river tiles
°they get some waterwalking land units (a few, or all units) that cant go into ocean (to give them access to lakes but not challenge mermen)
°at high level/high tier, they get strong units that can go on salt water... and challenge the meermen (or they need scubas...or magic desalinization tools..)
°they cannot build cities on water tiles.
°but their granary UB is an "under-water granary" which allow to grow past size one on top of normal granary effect...
(You don't give their cities this limitation on growth but this enable them to conquer mermen under-water cities)
thus they can't build under-water cities but can take and use the mermen ones (lategame for ocean ones, but early for coastal ones)...
I enlarged that text for emphasis.

1) I don't think you could really call the Vodniks "Meermen". They're more like "Water Spirits". They probably have some physical manifestations, but they're more spirit than flesh and bone. The Merfolk, by contrast, are all flesh and bone.
2) I admit I initially suggested combining Vodniks and Merfolk together. And PawelS' reasoning was that they're not really similar enough to combine. We will probably keep them as separate civs with unique civ mechanics to make each shine.
3) Much different appearances
Merfolk: Very fish-like. Have gills/small fins and scales.
Vodnik: Spirit-like. (Think the how the Sidar shade unit looks in FfH, but more blue-ish green.) Definitely not as corporeal as most civs.

That all said, it may end up that we go the route of making Merfolk and Vodniks possible rivals. Vodniks will definitely get bonuses for rivers and lakes (whereas Merfolk will only get bonuses for coasts and oceans). Both races will be Masters of Water Magic (but with very differing philosophies on Water Magic). You probably wouldn't ever see a Merfolk visiting a Vodnik city or visa-versa; fresh water folks and salt water folks wouldn't like to mix. So...that may be a possible interesting thing that could happen between the Merfolk and the Vodniks, diplomacy-wise. The player can therefore influence it to his/her advantage, if desired.

Thank you for all the suggestions, btw.

Edit:
@Team members: Added a link to the Dropbox site. You'll have to download it. It is free.

thx.

I understood the different concepts of dwarves and gnomes and calx you both proposed.
However I wanted to propose a way to arrange those 4 races (PawelS' dwarves, calx, gnome and your dwarves)... into 1 or 2 races, more unique and less conventional than the usual LotR/Warhammer civs.. which is better (IMO) especially for dwarves, orcs and elves.

further I like the DnD Svirfneblins.. which are gnomes of the underdark.. less tiny than warhammer gnomes, stockier, but less than dwarves, and big miners and stone workers, adept of stone magic and gem magic, able to summon diverse earth and rock elemental/golems. (+they are neutral good...)

for me Clax ringed malphite (from LoL), Master of Orion II's Lithovores... or ... dwarves... yes, the "better at defense than offense" "human-like" can correspond to dwarf, stocky, maybe slow to attack but un-movable on defense.(and I didn't have the image to deter me from my vision of the things :D)

--> so I wanted to fuse stone-men-calx with stone-lover-Svirfneblins
and fuse "metal genius dwarves" with "tool-genius gnomes"....

I liked the luirchips' design in FFH as they were "gnomish-but-not-gnomes-as-they-are-of-same-race-as-khazad-dwarves".(ditto for the Clan... less stupid than WH orcs)

however if you really want to keep your own intial design (which I would totally understand).. feel free, I will follow your lead :D

About the magic system:

As I understood you are gonna change current faith system with mana system. Then here is my suggestion: religions can be changed to magic schools. Here is how it gonna work:
After getting enough mana points a country can create a school for magician. It is gonna be like a guild which shares its secrets only within cities where that school is dominant. After founding a school, civilization can choose which types of magic, it will teach. eg: fire magic water magic or ice and etc. In this system we will need only 1 type of mana node so magic is determined by a school, not by mana nodes. After a great magician is born (like a great prophet) he/she can extend the school and increase ammount of magic types school knows.

About graphics:
I am bad at 3d graphics however I can try to learn how to port units from civ4, but no promises on that part

About the magic system:

As I understood you are gonna change current faith system with mana system. Then here is my suggestion: religions can be changed to magic schools. Here is how it gonna work:
After getting enough mana points a country can create a school for magician. It is gonna be like a guild which shares its secrets only within cities where that school is dominant. After founding a school, civilization can choose which types of magic, it will teach. eg: fire magic water magic or ice and etc. In this system we will need only 1 type of mana node so magic is determined by a school, not by mana nodes. After a great magician is born (like a great prophet) he/she can extend the school and increase ammount of magic types school knows.
I like that idea. The only thing I would add is that certain civs will probably have the innate ability to cast certain types of magic. We'll probably attach this to their specific palace (which may necessitate doing unique palaces, as FfH did). Note that you cannot use a great magician to expand the magic types of the palace.

Civs that could have innate magic:
  • Calx -- Earth Magic
  • Essentes -- 1-3 random types of magic
  • Vodniks -- Water Magic
  • Merfolk -- Water Magic
  • Windwalkers -- Air Magic
  • Elves -- Nature Magic
  • Dark Elves -- 1 random type of magic
  • Demon Cultists/Daemon Worshipers -- Fire Magic
  • Death Cultists -- Death Magic

About graphics:
I am bad at 3d graphics however I can try to learn how to port units from civ4, but no promises on that part
Well, the nice part is that most of our units will just be ports from CivIV. You probably won't have to create any new units art really (at least, not a whole lot).
There's a possibility we might have you do a few reskins of CivIV units before porting them. For instance, we may be able to use the Jotnar models from the FfH modmod Fall Further, but they'll probably have to be reskinned to look more "stone-y".

I'm sure we'll also utilize your coding talents at some point as well. Let me edit the team to also show you as a programmer.

or we can offer unique spells to all civs instead of whole magic type.
eg: merfolk could get a spell to temporary flood an area near water which gives a small bonus to units close to the mage, however they would need water magic in their school to create more powerful water spells

or we can offer unique spells to all civs instead of whole magic type.
eg: merfolk could get a spell to temporary flood an area near water which gives a small bonus to units close to the mage, however they would need water magic in their school to create more powerful water spells
Hmm...that type of magic may end up being more towards the Divine Power end of things. And what spells you get via Divine Power will probably depend on what Belief your civ embraces the most.

ok
btw do you have skype for better communications or something like this? it is easier to brainstorm in a chat rather than a forum

ok
btw do you have skype for better communications or something like this? it is easier to brainstorm in a chat rather than a forum

Well, I have Skype. Problem is, we can't really get other people's feedback in Skype very easily. I'd like to give everyone a chance to have some input.

what about setting up an irc channel?
Hmm...sure. Let me try that.

Edit1:
Ok. I downloaded HydraIRC. (Seemed to be the only open source IRC client I could find that wasn't ancient.)

Use the server url: irc.gamesurge.net.

Then, join the channel #EraOfMiracles.

We might as well keep this as our permanent IRC chat room.

Edit2:
@orlanth & magzhi:
Hey, if you both could do us the favor of giving either PawelS or myself your email. Preferably via PM (I realized we don't really want random people knowing that info.) -- then, that'd be great!
Also, don't forget to download Dropbox. Link's up there in post# 28.

About the Calx, and the differences between them, Dwarves and Gnomes:

My idea for the Calx is that they should get bonus yields from Quarries (while Dwarves get bonuses from Mines and Gnomes from Workshops), and a special improvement called Creator Statue (using the Landmark graphics) that gives them culture, mana and extra strength for nearby units. One of the UBs will be Sculptor Studio, which replaces Stone Works and gives extra culture. So it's not going to be just a nation of strong men, good at defense, but also oriented at culture and perhaps religion. They should be also good at Earth Magic, while Dwarves and Gnomes will use technology rather than magic. I'm not sure what kind of UUs they should have, perhaps this is the civ that should get the Golems and things like Gargoyles... Overall, I think the Calx are distinct enough from the Dwarves and Gnomes to be a separate race, although generally I agree that we shouldn't have too many civs, but make the ones that exist more unique. And I'm not entirely convinced that the Calx civ is a good idea, so we may drop it if we find it uninteresting during the mod development.

magzhi said:
About the magic system:

I planned to make beliefs based on individual gods that you worship, but perhaps we can combine our ideas, so if you worship the god of fire, you can use fire magic and so on... this also corresponds to my idea about summons and city enchantments as faith purchases - we can make these purchases require appropriate beliefs. The "innate magic" rlaf proposed can be added to this system too - perhaps some civs can have a pantheon belief from the start of the game. Although I suppose there should be some kind of separation between Divine and Arcane Magic... we'll have some time to discuss such things, as magic (FFH-like spells) is quite a complicated thing to do that requires serious DLL changes, so it won't be implemented in the first playable versions.

An explanation about my Mana concept - Mana is the renamed Faith yield (I haven't renamed it yet in the game texts, there's a lot of them), and there is also a strategic resource called Magical Power. Nodes will provide both the yield and the resource, and to purchase a summon you'll need some Mana and (in case of stronger summons) it will consume the resource. This way we can limit the number of strong summoned units that a player can have, the same way as other strategic resources limit the numbers of other units.

As for communication, I prefer forums than live chats, so I have time to think about things I write, and I can post my ideas in an organized manner, which allows others to give feedback. But I can also use the IRC chat room when we need to discuss something.

I PMed The_J about getting a subforum before reading that rlaf has asked Gedemon about the same thing, I sent another PM to The_J explaining the situation.

I will share the current version of the mod with you at DropBox soon... remember that it's a work in progress that wasn't originally intended as a teamwork, so many things don't look as they should in the final version, which can cause some confusion. Feel free to ask if you encounter anything unusual. Also I'm not sure if you will like my "contextual" style of XML coding, where all information related to an individual unit, for example, is placed together in the code. I'll post some detailed information about my plans for various aspects of the game in separate threads once we get that subforum, if we don't get it then we'll have to think about other solutions...

Top Bottom