JanBoruta's Map and Icon Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

janboruta

Artistriarch
Hello!

I decided to create this thread to showcase 2D art I've created for Civ 5 mods during last few months. Also, I will post here whatever new I will create.

Why I did all these things? When Steam Workshop was opened for Civ 5, more new mods and modders were given the opportunity to post and publicize their work easily. That way we got dozens of mods adding new civilizations. Unfortunately, a large number of them had only rudimentary art regarding civ maps, Dawn of Man images, unit, leader and other icons. I decided to upgrade those to fit my personal taste, but it quickly became apparent that I should make those public or cooperate with other modders.

That way I've been providing art to the modder JFD, whose civ mods are among the most popular. But I also have some unpublished art for civs created by other great modders whom I haven't contacted yet. Because uploading modded .dds files would be a pain, I provide .png images here in the thread.

Special kudos to Tomatekh for also making great maps for his civilization mods!

If you would like me to help you out with civilization-related art in your mod, please contact me via pm. WARNING! I am currently working on a big commission and will be open for Civ work after December 22nd (probably a bit earlier).

Art files will follow in the posts below.

Moderator Action: Closed by request - Pouakai

I. Art for JFD's Civilizations

1. Prussia
Spoiler :

Frederick II the Great

Teutonic Knight

Prussian Infanterie

2. Nazi Germany
Spoiler :

Adolf Hitler

Reichsfuhrer

Wehrmacht Infantry

3. Italy
Spoiler :

Mussolini

Carabinieri​

4. The Vandals
Spoiler :

Axeman

Trihemiola

5. The Goths
Spoiler :

6. The Franks
Spoiler :

7. The Maori
Spoiler :

Te Rauparaha

Taiaha Warrior

8. The Papal States
Spoiler :

9. Venice
Spoiler :

Doge Enrico Dandolo

Venetian A Zenzile Galley

10. USA
Spoiler :

11. USSR
Spoiler :

Joseph Stalin

Soviet Levy

EDIT: Whoops. Forgot people were offended by combinations of letters.

Basically, I can't see crap Jan.

II. Civilizations of other modders

1. Akkad (by ChAoS)
Spoiler :

2. Israel (by ChAoS)
Spoiler :

3. Scotland (by ChAoS)
Spoiler :

4. Canada (by Jessorz)
Spoiler :

5. Poland-Lithuania (by Irkalla)
Spoiler :

6. Flanders (by Moriboe) - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=473791

Spoiler :

Robrecht III

City Militia

Belfry / Belfort

Beguinage

I can see everything, maybe try reloading a few times? I'll be upgrading the links anyway.

I'm pretty sure the upload site you're using tracks the referrer.

They didn't work for me either. But after you uploaded them again, now they're displaying correctly... and then they knocked me back. :eek:

Awesome work! :goodjob:

These are absolutely incredible and of professional quality.

I don't have any use for them: I'm now trying to think of an excuse to see them in my game. ;)

Great job here ! :goodjob:

I hope you've not received too many MP yet, I'd love to see what you can do for others WWII nations :D

Amazing art!

I think that modders call you a lot to help improving their mods' art. :lol:

Thank you! I'm glad you like it and I'm glad it finally works :D

UPDATED with:
-civ icon for Poland
-three icons for Flanders

Sorry Jan, I think I've got civ icons on lock.

But I do think your LOGO for Poland is better than mine. Mind if I steal the logo from your icon?

Jan, what do you think of working on some ProjectCiv stuff? I feel pretty insignificant when I look at your maps :(

They're more fitting of the G&K style maps. I went after the Vanilla style maps. But I still think your look better than mine regardless :p

cha think jan? I went cream on red, as red and white is used by too many civs I think.

Jan, what do you think of working on some ProjectCiv stuff? I feel pretty insignificant when I look at your maps :(

I could, but only if the pace of the project isn't really fast. I have lots of school work and commissioned pieces to do and I won't have that much time for Civ as during last week. And don't feel like that, you're better than me in many other areas.

Like in making civ symbols. This one is great, and it's a perfect, warm combination of colors. Just make sure the red won't be the same on the map as Austrian (it could be a tad darker or less saturated, just like in the icon). Cream color is a very good alternative for white, it actually matches the colors on the map :lol:

By the way, where did you get the shading (file/layer) for the icon? I have a similar file for that, but it's fuzzy, not as sharp and vanilla-looking as yours. Would you mind posting it for everyone? :)

I could, but only if the pace of the project isn't really fast. I have lots of school work and commissioned pieces to do and I won't have that much time for Civ as during last week. And don't feel like that, you're better than me in many other areas.

Like in making civ symbols. This one is great, and it's a perfect, warm combination of colors. Just make sure the red won't be the same on the map as Austrian (it could be a tad darker or less saturated, just like in the icon). Cream color is a very good alternative for white, it actually matches the colors on the map :lol:

By the way, where did you get the shading (file/layer) for the icon? I have a similar file for that, but it's fuzzy, not as sharp and vanilla-looking as yours. Would you mind posting it for everyone? :)

I made it myself. And yeah, I'll share it. I've been using a prefab for my icons since Sparta.

And the project is fairly slow paced. Just join up, there's no rush. My idea is that it's ready when it's ready. A lack of a map won't hinder public play testing.

And I'm not beating myself up. I'm not sad about not being a good artist because I'm not an artist. I'm a generalist. I can do many things. Do I do them all well? Certainly not. But I do a select few things well, like civ icons.

I made it myself. And yeah, I'll share it. I've been using a prefab for my icons since Sparta.

Kudos. I made a rudimentary layer with the shading long ago, but yours is much better.

And the project is fairly slow paced. Just join up, there's no rush. My idea is that it's ready when it's ready. A lack of a map won't hinder public play testing.

I would be happy if I could make a map or icon every now and then. I just want to provide art for the mods and civs I find interesting, coming from various authors. If you're ok with it, then I see no problem with me joining Project Civ. :)

And I'm not beating myself up. I'm not sad about not being a good artist because I'm not an artist. I'm a generalist. I can do many things. Do I do them all well? Certainly not. But I do a select few things well, like civ icons.

Thumbs up, that's a good point of view. I often find myself in a situation where I feel sad because someone is better than me in a certain area, but then I ask myself if this is really an area that I need being good at immediately. And I forget that a human being learns during its whole life.

New map added - Brazil! See post #5

Utterly fantastic!

I feel I'm getting better at making maps (which also lets me go back and update my old ones) but I'm still nowhere near your level. I'm quite proud of how the Almohad map is shaping up, though. You also make fantastic icons. I can do the civ icons relatively well but seem to have no ability with unit/building/leader buttons no matter how many times I try.

P.S. I might borrow your Israel at some point in the future and I've been trying to help ArnoldI with Brazil so I know he'll be happy to see that map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom