TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

Minigame 8 Entry: A Treatise on Prūsiskai Cuisine, Part One

EDIT: Pt. 2: An Adventure through Skaītanāustin: Kāupanagatwi

“There is always an endless cycle between beer and bread.”

Or as the Prūsiskai called it: pīws and traskeīlis, respectively.

And the above cycle is indeed true. The Prūsiskai were known to brew their barley beer, pīws, from stale barley bread soaked in a previous batch of beer, or, if a new brewery was just opening up, or had no supply of old beer, just in river water, which would make a weaker beer, but nonetheless good.

The following is a time-honored recipe for Prūsiskai beer:

Two loaves of bread should soak in a potful of beer for at least a full day. The bread is next mashed, and boiled in a large clay vat along with the beer soak, and a potful of fresh cold water from the Wistla River. Next, mix the bread-beer-water mixture with chopped dandelion, burdock root, and horehound in the same vat, and after it reaches a rolling boil, add a small amount of honey.

After the boil has ended, remove as many remaining solid particles as possible by pressing the cooled mixture through a fine cloth bag and into a fine wooden vat. Then, in the new fluid, drip a small amount of old beer if available, as well as some dragges [old Prūsiskai yeast]. A wooden cover is to be placed on top of the vat, and let the mixture sit for a time period of four days. Less time than that would make the resulting beer too weak. More time than that would make the resulting beer too bitter. For the final step, once more strain the liquid through another cloth bag, this one will be used to keep the remaining dragges until further use. As a final step, add a pinch of salt and a few drops of honey to the liquid, and stir. Now, and only now, can it be called pīws.
This specific recipe is for meddupīws [Honey Beer].

The following recipe is for pīwsgeīts, or beer bread.

Four bowlfuls of finely ground barley flour should be mixed with one mortar full of a salt and honey paste, made with equal amounts of honey and salt. Then, a small amount of leftover dragges is added to the whole flour mix, as well as one bowlful of fine, cold beer. Finally, one mortar full of crushed cardamom, mustard seed, and mashed parsley should be added to the batter.

Then, the batter is placed into however many small clay molds it can fill, and then should be baked until a knife poked into the center may come out with no remaining batter on it.

The above two recipes show two staples of Prūsiskai cuisine, as well as detail the intricate relationship between beer, bread, and the Prūsiskai. Most towns, and even some families, have their own closely guarded and unique recipes for both barley bread and barley beer. And every Prūsiskai family, whether the family of the Prince or the family of a lowly farmer, eats for a morning meal only bread and beer.

Apart from bread and beer exist a few other staples of Prūsiskai cuisine. The most important of which being the sausage and the dumpling.

The lāitin [uncured/fresh sausage] is one of the most ubiquitous, yet diverse component of Prūsiskai cuisine. In principle, the lāitin is a simple food item: salted pig intestine stuffed with ground and spiced pork meat. It is this very same simplicity that allows so much diversity to the lāitin in Prūsija. In the north-west, near the sea, a heavier, saltier lāitin may be found, that incorporates sea salt and other ocean ingredients. In the east, forest spices and mushrooms may find their way into the ground pork mixture, as well as occasionally some wilder game animal: deer or venison, perhaps, making for a more strong and gamey taste.

Geītsilāsā [bread drops; dumplings] are another important staple of Prūsiskai cuisine. Instead of baked in a mold, beer barley dough is dropped by varying sizes into a large pot of boiling water with a small amount of salt, and cooked thoroughly. It is then seasoned with local spices, again adding a diverse touch to Prūsiskai cuisine.

Spoiler :
But here arises a question. If salt is such a precious commodity, then why are the Prūsiskai using it so liberally? Well, to the Prūsiskai, salt isn’t that precious. In fact, due to their rather advanced and prolific production of high quality sea salt, as well as the small size of the nation, salt is quite cheap in Prūsija, which is indeed one factor that led to Pommeranian interests in the region of Prūsija.

The most common pussideinā [dinner] for any Prūsiskai family is as following:

Pīwsgeīts [Beer Bread]

Lāitin [Uncured Sausage]

Geītsilāsā [Dumplings]

And all of the above savory items are eaten with a lot of strong Garkīti [Mustard].

And copious amounts of Pīws [Beer], which makes everything better. Always.

Of course, we can’t forget about dessert, the richman’s sin. The best and most famous Prūsiskai dessert is a combination of, again, beer and bread, and is a delightfully heavy and sweet dish. It’s called Pīwstārsīgrēili [Beer Pudding]. Also very expensive in Prūsija.

With the heaviest cream collected from a cow, whip the cream along with some honey and salt until it begins to peak. With this cream mixture, layer thin slices of honeyed beer bread with the cream, and pour honey beer on top. Bake in an oven for a short amount of time, or until it begins to golden. Then, serve with fresh fruit and more cream.

Enjoy.

OOC: Ahmagad. This was so much fun to write. As I said, enjoy. And the final recipe isn't half bad itself. I'd say it that it might be an acquired taste though. And notice the Part One... :) Part Two perhaps tomorrow.

Having to rewrite part of my section for my story series and the minigame 8 stuff, should have it by tomorrow, sorry about that.

It's fine. :).

Here is a schedule.

Minigame 7 is due December 5th. Minigame 9 will be posted.
Minigame 8 is due December 13th. Minigame 10 will be posted.
Orders are due December 14th.
Minigame 11 is posted December 20th.
Update 18 is posted December 25th.
Minigame 9 is due December 27. Minigame 12 is posted.

The idea is 3 minigames up at any time, each lasting 3 weeks long. I will now go and make a backlog of Minigame prompts!

Minigames take 1-2 hours to grade, but are very worth it as I get the FP updated at the same time and I also get to enjoy all your cultural additions to the NES. :)

EDIT: Of course, I would need to shift the schedule a bit based on RL. This will mostly affect grading, as the posting will stay constant.

I would remind all that Minigame benefits are NOTICEABLE but still SMALL. The main benefit is that we get our world more detailed, and to prompt bored/struggling writers on what to write about.

Finally, new permanent Criteria added: Relevance. How relevant is your submission to the actual prompt? Did it respond to just the main idea, or did it also go into the details both suggested and "required"?

My canadian friend does say Eh, so I think it may be a regional thing. Or maybe she just says it to screw with me. Yayy spam!

Minigame 8 entry :
Fresh water fish of Bo: Pakhaa

An indeginous dish of the localities around Bo, that has attracted
many a noble man. It is mainly a dish prepared out of fresh-water fishes that are caught from the
rivers. The importance of making this exclusively out of fresh water fishes is the fact that, the ocean fishes, due to their higher percentages of fats/oils, renders a stinking smell to these fishes.

The fish is cleaned, deboned & fillets are sliced out. these are then marinated with local spices : the fiery red pepper
paste and clove paste. this is left as it is for 2 hours. These are now packed in leaves picked freshly from the trees. It is recommended that the smell be checked at first before choosing the same.

Using these leaves, the marinated fishes are packed in small packets and roasted over a roaring fire. The Pakhha is ready after 10 minutes.

Oh, update 18. I thought you were talking about minigame 18.

And by the way, I've almost never actually heard anyone say "eh" either. And I'm an Ontarian. The only time I've ever heard someone say "eh" was to a foreigner. ;)

I've come to the impression that a lot of us say it without noticing. It does seem to be a rural thing, not as common in the big cities.

Minigame 8:
Katanic Crusine: Blood Bread.
In Katan, the League, and some of the western reaches of Hyak, Blood Bread is made to honor Takarz, ether to be consumed as the center point in feast to his honor, or for a warrior to burn a small portion of a loaf in sacrifice to Takarz, just before he prepares for battle.
It's perpetration is not much different then normal bread, other then the addition of a large amount of animal blood to the water used to mix the dough. Once cooked, the bread is a bit easier to crumble then regular bread, and is a darker brown in color.
Its taste is slightly bitter, and it is considered good form not let this fact reflect on ones face when one eats it.

Top Bottom