SGOTM 16 - Plastic Ducks

Bebe! Bonnes fêtes!

The end of 2012 is still realistic, however the big thing now is the planning phase that's eating a lot of time.

Otherwise, anyone of us could take the save and wrap it up by t250 :D

Take care!

Don't feel well today so I am going to take an early rest. You don't need to wait for my feedback to play ahead. Make sure to think about the issues I raised in post #1679.

Hey welcome back Bebekija. I know how you feel ;)

I will address DW questions now.

I am on the game, writing notes about spreading, troop movement and worker actions.

Took good notes of the remarks and micro tips from the previous pages.

Note that I will give gunpowder to Qin this turn.

I am not sure about Shaka suggestion of building a fort on the iron south of Nipur.
Does it really get connected, as this iron is on an island of its own??

Edit concerning civic switch, let's evaluate on T210 how long it takes to research AL. Probably switch to caste/Paci on T210 to let the GP farms assign artists and enhance worshop in spreading cities.

As a consequence, Tolosa for example will get a nice production boost on its WS. I am inclined to let it work 2 artists instead of Engin + Priest, which gives mediocre hammer. Tolosa is so big that we might want to get a GP out of it one day.

Sushi Spread:

Western continent
Sorry no idea on how to organize sushi spread, as there is no overflow to be found on anything and slavery will not be an option anymore.
I think whip the levee in Akkad on T210 and slowly spread from there, taking hammer tiles from Babylon.
Spread to Babylon first then Borsippa. Or to Borsipa first to fight cultural pressure.
More SE will probably have to be shipped from the main continent.

Main continent
T210 Thebes 2 pop whip SE next turn. To Heliopolis, which chops a new one for the west continent
T210 Visigoth 3 pop whip SE for Pi-R, which takes care of spreading sushi to minor cities in the SW
T210 Bagacum 2 pop whip SE for Tours.
T210 Tours 3pop whip levee with 35 OF (tile assignment changed), then wealth then SE for NW cities
T210 Lyons 2pop whip levee with 30 OF (tile assignment changed), then wealth then SE for circasian
T210 SE in Avignon to Chartres in 2t via galleon 2S of Aryan. Chartres helps with sushi spreading (build wealth or SE)
T210 Aryan whips the market into a SE for Amiens
T210 Avignon whips the uni into a SE for NW islands.
T210 2 pop whip levee in Lyons then SE for Grenoble.

Probably far from perfect plan but it's a plan. :)

Need to work on troop movement still.

There are some issues have not been addressed clearly.

What's the schedule of civic switch, i.e. when to run CS, Pacifism?
> Probably on T210 depending on time to AL
Are you clear about how to launch GA with specific GPs?
>What is the trick? I put them both on the same tile? I'll move Marie Curie to Orleans for this purpose.
Kossin provided the spreading plan of Mining, do you have a plan of how to spread Sushi?
> See above. And it's a bad plan but all I got :/ I'll stop on T210 anyways.
What's in your mind of worker priority and what kind of improvements you want?
> WS everywhere. More farms to allow growing 1 pop / turn in GP cities. RR on mines.
What's in your mind of the build of cities? For instance, those island cities?
> Should be banks, happy buildings and health buildings, although without whip, what can they do?
When can you have reinforcements in place and when can you DOW?
> Still need to study that.
About the GP plan, looks good, especially letting Thebes and Dij pop GP 1st. However, I don't like using cities with lots of land tiles (such as Tolosa and Vien, Chart has Miao)) as GP farms, since we want citizens to work on them to take the benefit of factories and plants. We needs quite a few cities to build wealth to support science slider. It's good to use Thebes to pop the 1st GP for the last GA, but I would want to use it for next GP to take the risk of a non GArtist. Therefore, pick island cities and coastal cities as GP farms. Any cities with Sushi can be a GP farm. You don't need to be strict with T235 victory since the bottleneck of the victory will still be FT1 with the culture bombs.
> Acknowledged

8 galleons ready in Sippar. Can invade SB in 3 turns with 24 forces.
We can make 2 stacks, each defended with a frigate:
> First stack for Poverty point (3 longbow, 1 mace, 1 musket being built)
> Second stack for Nubian (3 longbows, 1 cata, 2 chariots)
edit: not smart. Better attack sooner but 1 city at a time.

Current forces in Sippar = 3 cannons, 2 trebs, 2 cats and 9 maces, 2 swords + supermedic. In total 19 troops although the 2 swords and 2 cata might stay behind.
Need some help for dealing with a potential city revolt in Sippar. No idea how it works.

Reinforcements:
- Borsippa: 2 cannons, 1 musket, 1 mace (same issue with city revolt) they can embark from here on the same turn as Sippar's
- 3 cannons 2E of Babylon can embark 3N of Basra in 4 turns (T213).
Note the 2 workers on the galleon. Heading to the main continent I guess? Or the other way around?
- 1 cannon 2 muskets West of Eleph in the ocean. Can be shipped to Akkad next turn (T110) and embark on T112. Near Basra.

That is enough for the first and second strike force. We can move right now I think (depends on revolt thingy)
Note The position of SB mediocre stack (15 units) in Snaketown.

T209: 3 can 2 treb 2 cat 9 maces 1 musket (from Borsippa) 1 supermed (total 18) embark on 6/8 galleons.
6 Galleons join 2 frigates near poverty point (2 turns)
2 other galleons move to 3N of Basra.

T211: Land 17 units 1N of Poverty. Bombard with 2 frigates. 3 galleons head back east.

T212: Bombard with frigates, trebs and catas, attack with 3 can then maces and Musket (to gain CG2 promotion). Take the city.

T212: 3 cannons from Baby and 1 cannon + 2 musket (from Eleph) (total 6) embark 3N of Basra
2 galleons move to 2E of Nubian (3 turns)

T213: In Poverty, 1 musket + 1 mace guard the city. 3 can 2 trebs, 2 cata, 6 maces+ supermed move toward the cow tile near Chakoia. 2 maces embark on a galleon. Destination Nubian. 1 Galleon stays in the city for backup. 4 galleons head back east, protected by a frigate.

T214: Land 8 units 1SE of Nubian. Protect galleons with 1 Frigate, bombard.

T215: bombard chakoia (heal wounded cannons)
T215: bombard Nubian
T216: Attack and Take Chakoia and Nubian this turn or next.

Later reinforcements:
1 mace, 6 muskets, 1 cannon and other junk wait to be shipped near Elephantine.
Prioritize muskets. Move 3 of them into Heliopolis and 3 into Elephantine
T210 whip galleon in both Heliopolis and Elephantine.
T211 embark 6 muskets and galleon chain them to akkad.
Please confirm the procedure, which should be 1. embark without moving on the city tile 2. transboard on the galley chain until reach akkad.
T213/T214 Embark 6 muskets from a tile in Saladin territory.

Won't go further :headache:

Main issues are potential revolts in Sippar and Borsippa, as well as stack splitting between Nubian and Chakoia.

Now I realize we don't really need to bother with Nubian too urgently and could concentrate our logistics on:
Taking Chakoia 100% on T216.
Constitute a galleon chain between Kura and nubian to ease reinforcements.

Thoughts?

I am holding on playing T209 as I require a green light for launching the attack right now.

Will adjust some micro here and there (Paris +1 farm) in the meantime :)

Since I have no civ computer at the moment, I don't feel comfortable commenting on war.

What I can say is that fort connects the iron 100%.

Hope so :)
Tomorrow I'm off to work but I'll play a set in the afternoon so you can get you a nice present (GA in Orleans?) when you wake up on 25th. :D

I have had a headache since tomorrow, so really can't think about the game too much.

You need to be clear about city build. We are expecting to finish the game in 30 turns, so any buildings does not get paid back in time should be skipped. For instance, the southern island cities, many of them don't have CH yet. So basically you need CH in those cities to take the benefit of corporations.

With CH, MIE takes ~6 turns to paid the spreading cost, without CH, it'd be ~15 turns.
With CH and granary, Sushi also takes ~6 turns to paid the bill. Never spread Sushi to a city without CH.
Other builds like Forge takes 10+ turns, lib takes ~8 turns to pay the hammer cost. You don't need LH in cities with only 1 seafood since all the citizens will be merchants or scientists.

Therefore, most of the buildings are not worth to build in this stage. Building wealth is simply better.

About the worker micro, watermills are better improvements

I am on the game, writing notes about spreading, troop movement and worker actions.

Took good notes of the remarks and micro tips from the previous pages.

Note that I will give gunpowder to Qin this turn.

I am not sure about Shaka suggestion of building a fort on the iron south of Nipur.
Does it really get connected, as this iron is on an island of its own??
The fort will connect. If you think you have spare worker turns, you can mine+railroad it then make the fort on another tile of the island + road.

Edit concerning civic switch, let's evaluate on T210 how long it takes to research AL. Probably switch to caste/Paci on T210 to let the GP farms assign artists and enhance worshop in spreading cities.

As a consequence, Tolosa for example will get a nice production boost on its WS. I am inclined to let it work 2 artists instead of Engin + Priest, which gives mediocre hammer. Tolosa is so big that we might want to get a GP out of it one day.

Sushi Spread:

Western continent
Sorry no idea on how to organize sushi spread, as there is no overflow to be found on anything and slavery will not be an option anymore.
Without the whip, it's indeed very difficult. We'll see next turn I guess.
I think whip the levee in Akkad on T210 and slowly spread from there, taking hammer tiles from Babylon.
Do not whip any of the mature cottages.
Spread to Babylon first then Borsippa. Or to Borsipa first to fight cultural pressure.
More SE will probably have to be shipped from the main continent.
That's probably the way to go.

Main continent
T210 Thebes 2 pop whip SE next turn. To Heliopolis, which chops a new one for the west continent
T210 Visigoth 3 pop whip SE for Pi-R, which takes care of spreading sushi to minor cities in the SW
T210 Bagacum 2 pop whip SE for Tours.
T210 Tours 3pop whip levee with 35 OF (tile assignment changed), then wealth then SE for NW cities
T210 Lyons 2pop whip levee with 30 OF (tile assignment changed), then wealth then SE for circasian
T210 SE in Avignon to Chartres in 2t via galleon 2S of Aryan. Chartres helps with sushi spreading (build wealth or SE)
T210 Aryan whips the market into a SE for Amiens
T210 Avignon whips the uni into a SE for NW islands.
T210 2 pop whip levee in Lyons then SE for Grenoble.

Probably far from perfect plan but it's a plan. :)

Need to work on troop movement still.

8 galleons ready in Sippar. Can invade SB in 3 turns with 24 forces.
We can make 2 stacks, each defended with a frigate:
> First stack for Poverty point (3 longbow, 1 mace, 1 musket being built)
> Second stack for Nubian (3 longbows, 1 cata, 2 chariots)
edit: not smart. Better attack sooner but 1 city at a time.
You might also have to deal with SB's SOD (unless he goes after Hammy) so 1 stack is clearly better.
Current forces in Sippar = 3 cannons, 2 trebs, 2 cats and 9 maces, 2 swords + supermedic. In total 19 troops although the 2 swords and 2 cata might stay behind.
Need some help for dealing with a potential city revolt in Sippar. No idea how it works.

Reinforcements:
- Borsippa: 2 cannons, 1 musket, 1 mace (same issue with city revolt) they can embark from here on the same turn as Sippar's
- 3 cannons 2E of Babylon can embark 3N of Basra in 4 turns (T213).
Note the 2 workers on the galleon. Heading to the main continent I guess? Or the other way around?
To the Iron tile S of Nippur.
- 1 cannon 2 muskets West of Eleph in the ocean. Can be shipped to Akkad next turn (T110) and embark on T112. Near Basra.

That is enough for the first and second strike force. We can move right now I think (depends on revolt thingy)
Note The position of SB mediocre stack (15 units) in Snaketown.

T209: 3 can 2 treb 2 cat 9 maces 1 musket (from Borsippa) 1 supermed (total 18) embark on 6/8 galleons.
6 Galleons join 2 frigates near poverty point (2 turns)
2 other galleons move to 3N of Basra.

T211: Land 17 units 1N of Poverty. Bombard with 2 frigates. 3 galleons head back east.
Pillage the horses so there are no more Knights.

T212: Bombard with frigates, trebs and catas, attack with 3 can then maces and Musket (to gain CG2 promotion). Take the city.

T212: 3 cannons from Baby and 1 cannon + 2 musket (from Eleph) (total 6) embark 3N of Basra
2 galleons move to 2E of Nubian (3 turns)

T213: In Poverty, 1 musket + 1 mace guard the city. 3 can 2 trebs, 2 cata, 6 maces+ supermed move toward the cow tile near Chakoia. 2 maces embark on a galleon. Destination Nubian. 1 Galleon stays in the city for backup. 4 galleons head back east, protected by a frigate.

T214: Land 8 units 1SE of Nubian. Protect galleons with 1 Frigate, bombard.

T215: bombard chakoia (heal wounded cannons)
T215: bombard Nubian
T216: Attack and Take Chakoia and Nubian this turn or next.

Later reinforcements:
1 mace, 6 muskets, 1 cannon and other junk wait to be shipped near Elephantine.
Prioritize muskets. Move 3 of them into Heliopolis and 3 into Elephantine
T210 whip galleon in both Heliopolis and Elephantine.
T211 embark 6 muskets and galleon chain them to akkad.
Please confirm the procedure, which should be 1. embark without moving on the city tile 2. transboard on the galley chain until reach akkad.
Step 1 doesn't matter, as boarding eats up movement point. It's for unloading that you want to be in a city or fort so that the movement is not lost.
T213/T214 Embark 6 muskets from a tile in Saladin territory.

Won't go further :headache:

Main issues are potential revolts in Sippar and Borsippa, as well as stack splitting between Nubian and Chakoia.
For Borsippa, send a worker to chop the forest so that CH may be whipped. That allows to spread Sushi which will quickly remove revolt chances.
For Sippar, remove the queued Forge and whip the CH next turn. Spread Sushi there.

Now I realize we don't really need to bother with Nubian too urgently and could concentrate our logistics on:
Taking Chakoia 100% on T216.
Constitute a galleon chain between Kura and nubian to ease reinforcements.

Thoughts?

I am holding on playing T209 as I require a green light for launching the attack right now.

Will adjust some micro here and there (Paris +1 farm) in the meantime :)

Quite a difficult few turns ahead of us...

EDIT: the trick for multiple GP Golden Ages is that the next closest GPs are used. So if you move Marie Curie to Orleans like you said, it should be safe.

I have had a headache since tomorrow, so really can't think about the game too much.
I knew it you can travel to the future :)

You need to be clear about city build. We are expecting to finish the game in 30 turns, so any buildings does not get paid back in time should be skipped. For instance, the southern island cities, many of them don't have CH yet. So basically you need CH in those cities to take the benefit of corporations.

With CH, MIE takes ~6 turns to paid the spreading cost, without CH, it'd be ~15 turns.
With CH and granary, Sushi also takes ~6 turns to paid the bill. Never spread Sushi to a city without CH.
Other builds like Forge takes 10+ turns, lib takes ~8 turns to pay the hammer cost. You don't need LH in cities with only 1 seafood since all the citizens will be merchants or scientists.

Therefore, most of the buildings are not worth to build in this stage. Building wealth is simply better.

About the worker micro, watermills are better improvements

Acknowledged.

Good luck with your headache.

Lol I lost my report :mad:

T210
Hammy asked for Constitution, I comply. Doesn't make him happy.

Started a golden age with Artist (told you!) from Orleans and Marie Curie. Could not risk saving the artist unfortunately, had to keep the Spy.

AL in 5 turns at 30%. We can surely research it 1t earlier.

Whipped galeons in Helio and Eleph, they will carry 6 musket to the main continent next turn.
Chained 2 musket and 1 cannon to Akkad but they can't disembark. Must have missed something...

Mining inc. spreading plan goes according to Kossin plan so far.
There is one available mining slot but Paris, Bib, Orleans are busy with more important matters.
I am starting a Sushi Ex in Aryan, for Dijon.

I really need Kossin help with the galley chain so I stopped moving galleons after doing a significant mistake: moved 2 Tao mish towards east without taking the 3rd one...

Cities whipped this turn:
Lyons (levee), Bagacum (SE>ME), Tours (levee), Gergovia (worker>ME), Visigoth (SE>ME), Vienne (uni>ME), Avignon (uni), Heiraconpo (CH), Circasian (harbour>ME), Thebes (SE>SE)

Can be whipped:
Camulo (worker>SE), Bayonne (library meh), Memphis (meh), Babylon (market meh, Baby should be a GP farm instead?), Nippur (temple) Toulouse (university)

Paris gets a levee next turn, Orleans a budistupa (do we want to whip to speed culture multipliers)

Kremlin started in Chartres.

Chances of revolt: Borsippa:6% (I took the garrison from akkad to Bor), Sippar (8.47%)

We are ready to attack SB next turn.

Wandering boats:
- Privateer in south island (where can he go?)
- Galleon in Grenoble
- Galley in Amiens (ship back the G scientist and come pick a Mining E?)

Small micro question to Kossin: is the forest 3N of Thebes pre-chopped?

Main question before moving again: Civics.
I'd like to switch to caste+paci and start assigning artists in high surplus cities.
Many workshops will be boosted this way, will speed up corporation spread.
In 5 turns we can switch back to slavery and whipped the plants.

Save uploaded.

Have you uploaded the save? I'd take a look when I get home.

For galleons, once you get on the city tile/fort, simply hit unload on the galleon and troops will get out even if it may not look like it. You can't be 1 tile away for this.

Caste: sounds ok for me, we don't want to whip on the first turn anyway. But we have to check how close to 3t we can make it and what's the comparative hammer gain/loss.
There are higher civic costs associated with Pacifism as I recall.

Tao: we need more cities with Tao for temples. As we might lose Sippar and/or Borsippa, spread to other Bab cities.

If you hover over tiles, you can see how many worker turns remain for an action in the bottom left corner. (or nothing if none were done)

yay the save is uploaded.
I think for AL 4 turns is reasonable but 3 maybe not. I'll go caste.

I'll play tomorrow morning until AL

Lol I lost my report :mad:

T210
Hammy asked for Constitution, I comply. Doesn't make him happy.
We don't actually care what he thinks of us at this point :p

Started a golden age with Artist (told you!) from Orleans and Marie Curie. Could not risk saving the artist unfortunately, had to keep the Spy.

AL in 5 turns at 30%. We can surely research it 1t earlier.
Go for 0% research this turn. We need cash for Executives and there are 3 Universities completing. (and possibly 1 Library)
Trade useless techs for cash (Paper to SB). Try selling maps as well.

Whipped galeons in Helio and Eleph, they will carry 6 musket to the main continent next turn.
Chained 2 musket and 1 cannon to Akkad but they can't disembark. Must have missed something...

Mining inc. spreading plan goes according to Kossin plan so far.
There is one available mining slot but Paris, Bib, Orleans are busy with more important matters.
I am starting a Sushi Ex in Aryan, for Dijon.

I really need Kossin help with the galley chain so I stopped moving galleons after doing a significant mistake: moved 2 Tao mish towards east without taking the 3rd one...

Cities whipped this turn:
Lyons (levee), Bagacum (SE>ME), Tours (levee), Gergovia (worker>ME), Visigoth (SE>ME), Vienne (uni>ME), Avignon (uni), Heiraconpo (CH), Circasian (harbour>ME), Thebes (SE>SE)

Can be whipped:
Camulo (worker>SE),
Without the whip it's a 2t-build. With the whip, some hammers are lost and converted to gold... meh.
To make it 1t, you'd need to change 2 cottages to hammers tiles and build 1 more workshop (where the sign is). Might have to assign the farm to Eng/Prirest the following turn. Anyway, just keep the OF, there might be somewhere better to spread Sushi next turn instead.

Bayonne (library meh),
Assign a Priest.
Memphis (meh),
Whip hamlet+farm, you need CH to spread Sushi (cost really high without it.)
Babylon (market meh, Baby should be a GP farm instead?)
It really needs Christianism to work as a GP farm. Whip as it will become unhappy next turn (lose Dyes).
, Nippur (temple)
Yes
Toulouse (university)
Yes

Paris gets a levee next turn, Orleans a budistupa (do we want to whip to speed culture multipliers)
It might speed up 1t.

Kremlin started in Chartres.

Chances of revolt: Borsippa:6% (I took the garrison from akkad to Bor), Sippar (8.47%)

We are ready to attack SB next turn.

Wandering boats:
- Privateer in south island (where can he go?)
Just bother someone with it. They'll make Caravels and lose research which delays Democracy (a problem civic for us)
- Galleon in Grenoble
Starts going North to Amiens for bridge for eventual MIE. Leave the GS there, he's for bulbing.
- Galley in Amiens (ship back the G scientist and come pick a Mining E?)

Small micro question to Kossin: is the forest 3N of Thebes pre-chopped?

Main question before moving again: Civics.
I'd like to switch to caste+paci and start assigning artists in high surplus cities.
Many workshops will be boosted this way, will speed up corporation spread.
In 5 turns we can switch back to slavery and whipped the plants.

Save uploaded.

Answered questions, I'll look a bit more at the save for more suggestions.

City-by-city micro
Chartres: take back both coastal tiles from Aryan for +1C instead of Ocean.
Rouen: windmill > coast
Grenoble: take the watermill Paris is not using, however it goes back to Paris next turn.
Amiens: spy to Artist
Poitiers: remove spy
Durnovaria: work the WS
Bagacum: has so much food, you can work watermill over farm (and change farms later)
Thebes: hammer tiles over food tiles
Elephantine: take the riverside WS from Memphis
Sippar: since it's going to starve anyway, assign 6 artists (work the WS) and build culture this turn

Other
Since we're going into Caste+Pacifism, there's quite a lot of work to do.
You're going to have to look at cities with very high food output and cities that are GP farms.

Whenever a city has enough food to grow, remove food tiles and assign either hammer tiles, Merchant (more gold multipliers) Scientist (more beaker multipliers) or Artist (Artist GP farm).

I'll give you an example. Marseilles: it has 93F over the 46 required for growth, plus a lot of food from worked tiles and Sushi. You can start assigning a lot of Artists here for culture bombs.
Growth will keep happening at 1/turn, even if you have enough food for 2 pop, so the excess food isn't needed.

Other candidates: Bagacum, Rheims, Amiens, Poitiers, Durnovaria, Thebes, Heliopolis.

This will kick-start the GP farms so we have an easier time later. Instead of beginning with 100 GPP, they might have 300.

Top Bottom