Chronicles of Adea - fantasy mod development thread

PawelS

Ancient Druid
This thread will be used for the development of the Chronicles of Adea mod (formerly known as Era of Miracles). The mod is not released yet, we're working on an alpha version.

You can get the current (unplayable) version from the GitHub repository.

You can also discuss the mod at the Adea Forum.

The team (copied from rocklikeafool's post):

• PawelS: Primary Design Lead, Lead Programmer
  • rocklikeafool: Secondary Design Lead, Programmer
  • orlanth: Programmer
  • trystero49: Programmer
  • magzhi: Artist*, Programmer
  • MrCasperTom: Writer
*Artist means "Graphics", people. ;)

New team members are welcome!

Special thanks to:

Ahriman
FramedArchitect
Horem
Irkalla
Pazyryk
whoward69

And to all those who deserve to be here but I forgot about them :)

The Story

(This story sounds more science fiction than fantasy, this is my way of explaining the creation of a fantasy world. It's based on my idea for a book that maybe I'll write someday... Of course some details of the story can be changed to include ideas from other team members. Also I'm not a native speaker, so probably it's not written in perfect English - if you notice something that should be corrected or written in a better way, let me know.)

1. The Ethereals

The Ethereals are conscious, intelligent beings composed of pure magical energy, who originate from a place near the center of our galaxy. They don't have any metabolism - they just exist without the need to do anything to stay alive. It's a contradiction to our second law of thermodynamics, but due to their magical nature they live in two planes of existence - the one we all know, and the "other side of reality", where time flows in an opposite direction. This allows them to balance the entropy flow on both planes, and remain in their unchanged form for any amount of time. They don't have any sense organs, they just "feel" the reality around them, and can change it to some extent.

2. Anticipation of the invasion

For billions of years, they did nothing but explored the galaxy and its vicinity - The Magellanic Clouds and some other small galaxies, and also the Andromeda Galaxy, where they observed a civilization that formed there, and slowly took over the entire galaxy. To their concern, that civilization started making plans to conquer our galaxy - the Milky Way. This changed their situation dramatically - before that, the Ethereals didn't have to do anything to ensure their survival, while the invasion was a danger to their existence, as the civilization from Andromeda used technologies that "sucks" all magical energy from the space, so it would destroy them - they couldn't escape because they can't exist too far from their place of birth near the center of our galaxy. Both the Ethereals and the Andromedans knew techniques that allow travelling faster than light, but the Ethereals could move much faster, so they had some time - several thousand years - to go back to our galaxy and think how to stop the invasion.

3. The Ethereals and Earth

The Ethereals had no power to fight against the Andromedans themselves, so they decided that the only way to do it is to use a civilization, or several of them, from our galaxy, that will defend it against the invasion. But there were no well-developed civilizations in the galaxy so far, which led them to the conclusion that they needed to create them. They divided into several groups that were sent to different regions of the galaxy. In our region, there was only one planet where there were beings that could create a civilization - the Earth. Humans living there were quite intelligent, but they haven't created a civilization so far. The Essentials figured out the DNA code, and made some genetic manipulations to the Humans that increased their intelligence, which led to the creation of a primitive civilization soon, that later developed into a more technologically advanced one. The Ethereals intervened on Earth later as well, which led to the creation of some religions and myths, but that's another story...

The Human brain has an interesting property - in large quantities, it creates a physical field that seals the connection between the two planes of existence, which makes it impossible to use magic. So in the early history of humanity the magic was used to some extent, but later, when the population rose, it no longer worked and was remembered only in the form of stories and superstitions.

4. The playground

The changes in Human DNA were quite simple, the Ethereals had more ideas how to change it, but these ideas were quite different from each other, and they couldn't agree which one is the best. So they decided that they would develop different kinds of Human-like beings - the races, that would live on different planets.

They found some planets that could be used for this purpose, but they needed some terraforming to make them a good place to live for humanoid races, which was going to take some time. Only one planet - Adea - had good enough conditions to be used only after some slight adjustments, so they decided that they would create their races and put them all on that planet, along with many other life forms transferred from Earth (some ways of communicating between Earth and Adea existed later as well, hence some cultural similarities between the civilizations of both planets). They planned to move these races to the planets prepared for them, when the terraforming process ends.

5. Early history of Adea

Using the combination of genetic and social engineering successfully is not an easy task. The first attempts to create new races were not very successful - they made them too intelligent and pursuing knowledge, without caring about the emotional side of their nature too much, which caused the technological advancement to be very fast (much faster than anticipated), but social development was slower. Undeveloped societies having access to very dangerous weapons, which often were used irresponsibly, caused a cataclysm that destroyed these early races, and left some ruins and other places of interest on the surface of Adea. Also, the first races of Adea conducted many experiments, which led to creation of many different kinds of monsters that still exist in the world, some of them are magical in nature and can be summoned with spells.

Before creating the races, the Ethereals knew nothing about ethics - the concepts good and evil were completely unknown to them. The first experiences taught them a bit about such things, but still they couldn't agree which approach is the best in terms of repulsing the invasion. Some of them thought that the best idea is to create ruthless individuals, that use every opportunity to achieve victory, and eliminate the weak among them. Others preferred emphatic beings, who care about others, which makes a good motivation - when the society is good to its members, it's worth fighting for. There were other disagreements between the Ethereals (now perceived as the Gods by Adeans) as well, so every race has a slightly different social values than each other. Also the ethical alignment is not completely determined by genetics, the races can choose their fate themselves to some extent. Other differences between races are caused by different geographical conditions in the areas where they live - the Ethereals placed them in regions with conditions similar to the anticipated climate of the other planets after terraforming, and made them well adapted to these conditions.

That's how the second generation of races on Adea was created. Will they live in peace with each other before the Gods allow them to travel to the Promised Lands? Will there be only local conflicts, or a big war that leaves only one victor? One thing is sure - there won't be another cataclysm that destroys all of them, the Ethereals learned a lesson and won't allow it again.

The Races (Civilizations):

The alpha version will contain 12 civilizations.

1. Dreamers
Spoiler :
Long Name: Republic of Dreams

Leader: Nimue

Starting bias: Coast

Description: A nation of sailors, explorers, inventors and pirates. They have a strong navy, and can access the technology that gives them gunpowder-based units. Their ultimate invention is the Air Galley - a flying ship.

Trait: Undreamt Shores

• +1 Food from Fishing Boats and Fishing Villages, +1 Gold from Sea tiles, -1 Food from Farms
  • +1 Movement and +10% Strength for Naval units
  • -25% Gold cost of buying tiles
Uniques: (coming soon)

2. Griffites
Spoiler :
Long Name: Griffite Kingdom

Leader: Vorsar (name can be changed)

Starting bias: avoid Jungle

Description: A nation resembling a medieval European kingdom, specialized in mounted units.

Trait: Born in the Saddle

• +1 Food, +1 Production and +1 Gold from Pastures
  • +1 Movement and +10% Strength for Mounted units
  • Double quantity of Horses resource

They should have the Griffin as a summoned unit, but we need graphics for it.

3. Archons
Spoiler :
Long Name: Holy Archon Empire

Leader: Gabriel

Starting bias: avoid Tundra

Description: A civilization resembling the Roman Empire, focused on religion, cultivating some ancient traditions (they are trying to restore an empire that existed before the cataclysm). They have access to the Imperial Roads technology, which increases the movement rate along Roads.

Trait: Mandate of Heaven

• Doubled yields from ancient sites (Ancient Ruins, Ancient Temples etc.)
  • Priest units heal adjacent units at a higher rate (+5 HP per turn)
  • Can choose an additional belief when founding a religion

The uniques should fit their Greco-Roman and religious (Christian-like) theme.

4. Vodniks
Spoiler :
Long Name: Vodnik Kingdom

Leader: Shuvareq

Starting bias: River

Description: Mysterious people drawing their life energy from fresh water, inspired by Slavic mythology.

Trait: Fresh Water Spirits

• +1 Food, +1 Production and +1 Gold from Marsh, -1 Production from Plains
  • Moving to a tile next to a river costs only 1 MP, units start with Amphibious I promotion
  • (Something related to Water Magic/religion, perhaps they should start with a pantheon already founded?)
Uniques:

UI - Reed Farm (using unupgraded Polder graphics) - buildable in Marsh and River tiles, gives +2 Food, +1 Production, +1 Gold
UB - Reed Garden (replaces Garden) - no GP rate bonus, 2 more Food, +1 Food and +1 Gold from Lake tiles
UUs - I have no ideas for now.

5. Snobar
Spoiler :
Long Name: Snobar Clans

Leader: Artic (I don't like this name that much, so I welcome ideas for a new one)

Starting bias: Tundra

Description: Fierce warriors from the snowy areas, inspired by the Vikings.

Trait: Icy Fury

• +1 Production from Tundra, +1 Food, +1 Production and +1 Gold from Snow, -1 Food from Flood Plains, Oasis and Jungle
  • Units get +15% Strength in Tundra and Snow, -10% Strength in Desert and Jungle, and the Arctic Mobility promotion (which gives double movement in Tundra and Snow)
  • Embarked units have +1 movement, and spend only 1 movement point to disembark
Uniques:

UI: (Something that can be built only on Snow/Tundra)
UB: no ideas for now
UUs: Berserker, Drakkar

6. Azracs
Spoiler :
Long Name: Azrac Empire

Leader: Yaka

Starting bias: Desert

Description: People of the desert, focused on religion and trade.

Trait: Desert Wanderers (or Empire of the Sun)

• +1 Food and Production from Desert, -1 Food from Grass
  • Units get +15% Strength in Desert, -5% Strength in Grass, and the Desert Mobility promotion (which gives double movement in Desert)
  • +2 Gold per trade route
Uniques:

UP (Unique Process) - Caravans (30% Gold, 10% Science, 10% Culture, 10% Mana)
UI: (Something that can be built only on flat, featureless Desert)
UB: Sunmill - gives some yield bonuses, can only be built on or next to Desert, mutually exclusive with Windmill and Watermill
UU: Camel Archer
Access to Elephant units

7. Lemuria
Spoiler :
(Will be combined with rocklikeafool's Beastmen, so things described below are subject to change; some elements of the Beastmen are already incorporated.)

Long Name: Tribes of Lemuria

Leader: Manezt Aru'uh

Starting bias: Jungle

Description: People of the jungle, their bond with wild animals allows them to use animals, or creatures being a combination of men and animals, in combat.

Trait: Jungle Tribes

• +1 Food and +1 Production from Jungle, -1 Food from Tundra
  • Units get +15% Strength in Jungle, -10% Strength in Tundra/Snow, and the Jungle Pathfinding promotion, which halves the movement cost in Jungle
  • Increased chance to capture animals defeated in combat (this feature is not yet implemented), perhaps also the ability to upgrade them to Beastmen units
Uniques:

UU: Javelineer (replaces Ranger)
UU: Ohmes Skirmishers – medium-strength ranged unit with 2 movement
UU: Cathay Ironbeasts – heavy infantry, equipped with curved swords and axes
Access to Elephant units

8. Elves
Spoiler :
Long Name: Elven Kingdom

Leader: Julia

Starting bias: Forest

Description: A nature-loving race living in the forest, they are good at culture and have good archers.

Trait: Song of the Trees

• +1 Culture from Forest
  • Units get +15% Strength in Forest, -10% Strength in Desert, and the Forestry promotion, which halves the movement cost in Forest
  • Units get +10% to Ranged Attack and -5% to Melee Attack
Uniques:

UU: Longbowman (replaces Crossbowman), +1 range
(more to come)

9. Dwarves
Spoiler :
Long Name: Dwarven Kingdom

Leader: Fangir

Starting bias: Hills

Description: A tough race living in hills, they are good at mining, defending and crossing mountains.

Trait: Earth's Favor

• +1 Food from Mine
  • Units get +15% Strength in Hills and +10% Defense
  • Units can cross mountains after getting first Great General (for now we'll use Carthage's ability, later it can be changed to something a bit different)
Uniques:

UU: Ironclad (replaces Galleon, stronger but slower)
UB: Miners Guild (gives bonuses from nearby mineral resources)
UB: Dwarven Fortress (replaces Fortress, better defense)

10. Orcs
Spoiler :
Long Name: Red Horde

Leader: Skulkan

Starting bias: Plains

Description: An aggressive race, sharing some units with the Barbarians.

Trait: For the Horde (sorry for using a name from FFH, but I don't have any better idea)

• Less unhappiness from number of cities (8 instead of 10), more from population (0.6 instead of 0.5)
  • Melee units get +10% Attack Strength
  • 50% chance to convert Barbarian units defeated in Camps
Uniques:
(coming soon)

Awesome idea this, I think. I take it you have a cool backstory in mind for the mod?

Oh, and I'll be back to modding next week, I'd say. This week'll be pretty busy still. However, I've still 3 weeks left of my school break after this week.

I've written the story (see post #2), let me know how you like it :)

I've written the story (see post #2), let me know how you like it :)
I think it's really good. It's just that you might want to downplay earth a bit more. Also, in the opening sequence (the "Welcome! Glorious leader!" thing), we might want to make it clear that the civilization has no idea where it came from or how it got there. Something to the effect of calling the Ethereals "gods", as you mentioned. Sort of "The gods created us. But for what purpose?" -- that kind of basic idea, with the understanding that part of it is discovering the purpose of the gods.

I think it's really good. It's just that you might want to downplay earth a bit more.

You mean that I should edit the story to put less emphasis on Earth? Btw this story was meant to be used in a book that takes place on Earth and in the space in our future, where the fantasy world of Adea would be only a background story. I decided to use it in this mod because it didn't have any story, and I didn't have any better one to use :) I mean it as a general guideline to the team members who will create lore for individual races, units etc. so the consistency of the game universe is maintained. it doesn't have to be something that is visible in the game (see my comments below).

Also, in the opening sequence (the "Welcome! Glorious leader!" thing), we might want to make it clear that the civilization has no idea where it came from or how it got there. Something to the effect of calling the Ethereals "gods", as you mentioned. Sort of "The gods created us. But for what purpose?" -- that kind of basic idea, with the understanding that part of it is discovering the purpose of the gods.

Yes, from the perspective of the inhabitants of Adea they should only know that the Gods created them, and that their descendants will go to the Promised Lands some day (this should happen when the game time runs out), so the opening sequences should reflect this situation. Btw I don't like the obsequiousness of these texts, so I think they should be toned down a bit in this regard compared to the original Civ5 ones :)

Also, some races (like the Undead) can have a different origin than those created by the Gods, like being a "side effect" of the cataclysm or the experiments that took place before it.

You mean that I should edit the story to put less emphasis on Earth? Btw this story was meant to be used in a book that takes place on Earth and in the space in our future, where the fantasy world of Adea would be only a background story. I decided to use it in this mod because it didn't have any story, and I didn't have any better one to use :) I mean it as a general guideline to the team members who will create lore for individual races, units etc. so the consistency of the game universe is maintained. it doesn't have to be something that is visible in the game (see my comments below).
Ah, ok. That works then.

Yes, from the perspective of the inhabitants of Adea they should only know that the Gods created them, and that their descendants will go to the Promised Lands some day (this should happen when the game time runs out), so the opening sequences should reflect this situation. Btw I don't like the obsequiousness of these texts, so I think they should be toned down a bit in this regard compared to the original Civ5 ones :)

Also, some races (like the Undead) can have a different origin than those created by the Gods, like being a "side effect" of the cataclysm or the experiments that took place before it.
Sounds good to me.

OK, I've started working on the mod in earnest now and I've put up a bit of the dreamers on GitHub. I've changed the structure of the Civilizations folder somewhat. Instead of having one large XML for each civ, I've made the civs into a folder, with subfolders, because I have an easier time working like that, and because I think the organization is better that way.

So far, I've only done this for the Dreamers (which is what I'm working on). I've changed the leader flavors so that (I hope) the Dreamers will act more like colonial masters and naval military experts. I've also named their cities and spies, and I've tried to give their language a romance-language-esque tinge to it. I'm mostly done the trait (I need to implement two parts of it with a Dummy building and with a promotion) and then I need to test it.

Also, I've just pushed my changes.

Thanks, due to some RL reasons I couldn't work on the mod as much as I wanted lately, but this should change this week. I'm going to put updated info about civs in one of the top posts, when rocklikeafool sends me a file with them (he told me a few days ago that he would do it).

About spy names: I'm not sure if we're going to have spies in the game. With some special technologies available to only some civs there can be problems with tech stealing, although this should be fixable with DLL changes, so we can add espionage later (or perhaps it works properly as it is, we need to test it). But there are some other things about spies, like their interaction with city states (in this mod they will be minor civs that have multiple cities) that need to be properly balanced. Generally I prefer to play the game without spies, but perhaps some people will want them in the mod.

Well, spies or not, it takes very little time to make the spynames. At the very least I'll give the civs blank TXT_KEYS_ for spies, so we can put them in later, if we want.

Are you OK with my organization for the Civ folder? Also, we are still using the same repository, right?

Are you OK with my organization for the Civ folder?

Of course, organize it as you wish :)

Also, we are still using the same repository, right?

Yes, you can think of "Era of Miracles" as the codename of the project.

Your story looks intriguing! If I had to devise a story on top of everything else in a mod I'd be lost, which is why I stick to the textbook stuff. ^^

Also, I think rocklikeafool asked about a unit teleporting script a while back. If you'd like to use this let me know.

Look forward to playing the scenario!

Your story looks intriguing! If I had to devise a story on top of everything else in a mod I'd be lost, which is why I stick to the textbook stuff. ^^

Thanks, I wanted to use my own story because it gives us more freedom as to things that are in the game, as we don't have to recreate an existing setting.

Also, I think rocklikeafool asked about a unit teleporting script a while back. If you'd like to use this let me know.

For now I don't have any use for unit teleporting script in mind, perhaps rocklikeafool has it. (I thought about adding a teleportation promotion for high level mages, but this would use the paradrop mechanic.)

Look forward to playing the scenario!

Actually there won't be any scenarios in the alpha, only random maps. But perhaps we'll add some scenarios later. Anyway, thanks for your appreciation.

For now I don't have any use for unit teleporting script in mind, perhaps rocklikeafool has it. (I thought about adding a teleportation promotion for high level mages, but this would use the paradrop mechanic.)
Well, I don't have any specific use in mind, though the ability for high level mages to teleport out of trouble would be useful.

I submitted an update to GitHub. I've changed my mind about the Crystal Plains - I was going to make it a resource, but I decided to keep it as a feature, but you can't build improvements on it. It gives +1 gold, +1 science, and +2 mana, so it gives quite good yields, especially on a Tundra tile. I'm still not 100% sure if it's the best solution, so I need to hear your opinions.

I also changed the name of the mod, and added Horem's graphics for the Kelp feature, which is now generated on maps. Next I'm going to add two more features - Reef (it exists, but it's currently not generated), and Shrubs, which will appear on Deserts and Plains, give +1 production and -1 food (the latter only on Plains, because you don't get any food on Deserts), and will need to be removed before building improvements there; I'm going to use one of Horem's recolored resources for this purpose.

@trystero49: I wanted to check your changes to the Dreamers civ, but it seems you haven't added your new files related to them to the Actions tab.

@rocklikeafool: I'm waiting for the collated information about the civs that you were going to send me - I want to put this in one of the posts at the top of this thread.

Edit: Also, have you contacted Irkalla lately about the civ icons? If he needs more detailed descriptions of the icons than the ones I posted in the old thread, I suppose I can think about them (and of course everyone at the team is welcome to propose ideas for the icons).

@rocklikeafool: I'm waiting for the collated information about the civs that you were going to send me - I want to put this in one of the posts at the top of this thread.
Let me attach what I have so far quick...(See below.)

Edit: Also, have you contacted Irkalla lately about the civ icons? If he needs more detailed descriptions of the icons than the ones I posted in the old thread, I suppose I can think about them (and of course everyone at the team is welcome to propose ideas for the icons).
I just sent those off to him. I've been kind of stuffed up the last few days. So, I apologize for being somewhat lax on this stuff.

Edit:
Committed some policy changes from 12/17.

Attachments

• CoA Civs.doc
    40 KB · Views: 71
Top Bottom