[GotM] Welcome, rules & FAQ (please read first)

Stoepsel

Chieftain

Welcome to the "Game of the Month" for Colonization!

What does "Game of the Month (GotM) mean?
The "Game of the Month" is a competition, making use of "Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization" with the modification "The Authentic Colonization" (TAC). It will take place once a month. A member of the GotM-Team will create a map and release it as challenge. Participants will have to successfully finish the game until the stated closing date. The one who will have succeeded in achieving the set target in the most successful way (for example by having the most raw materials in a given game turn or by having deleted the AI opponents first) will be declared winner of the GotM.

What is the annual assessment?
In addition to the monthly assessment there will be an annual assessment. Whoever finishes one of the monthly competitions on the first places will be rewarded with points. Whoever will have the most points at the end of the year will be declared "Winner of the Year". In a new year, all players will start from scratch.

How will the ladder be calculated?
For each player the best six participations will be taken into account, meaning that you won't be harmed if you either can't or don't want to participate in a certain month.

Who can participate?
Any registered member of CFC or the the German Civilization Forum (CivForum) but the creator of the map may participate.

Which version is needed?
Please make sure to have the official patch (1.01f) installed. Typically, the game will be played making use of the final version of the TAC-modification for Civlization4:Colonization. You may find the version TAC 2.03_final here. In case of having played Civ4:Col without TAC since last starting your rig, please make sure to have cleared the cache.

What do I have to observe after starting the game?
After having started the game please press "Escape", then chose "Your Details" and change the name to "GotM-[month]-[your name in the forum]" (example: "GotM-January-CleverGuy"). By doing so you ensure to have the files to be sent to us named correctly.

Are there additional rules?
Please sent in your first attempt. Do not make use of WorldBuilder or any cheat tools. Do not reload a save to replay a certain turn. Do not enter a spoiler thread if not having sent your result to us, first.

How do you protect the game against fraud?
First of all, we assume all participants to follow a code of honour. Who would enjoy winning a competition by fraud? We do not believe that such poor guys may be found amongst Colonization players. Nevertheless, we reserve the right to check the sent in game saves. Pleas accept that we will not release the details, but be assured that we who have assembled TAC do also have the means to examine a savegame.

What happens with cheaters?
Should we suspect a certain player with fraud, he will be asked by Personal Message or E-Mail. If he is not able to refute the accusation he will be excluded permanantly from the competition.

How do I document my result?
How you will do that depends on the given task.

a) If you have to win the game: The game automatically creates a Replay-File after having won. After having had a look at the replay, the game asks if you want to continue or not. Click "Yes" and immediately save the game without doing anything else. Terminate Colonization and send the Replay-file and the savegame to us

b) If you have to play in the most successful manner up to a given turn: Play the last turn stated in the rules and save it then. Click on "Escape" and then on "Retire". The game will show a replay. After having watched the replay, terminate Colonization and send both, the replay-file and the savegame to us.

c) If you have the task to reach a set goal in a minimum of turns: Retire from the game in the very turn in which you have reached the set goal. See above for a description of how to retire. After having observed the replay, send the replay-file and the savegame to us.

Where shall I send the resulting files?
Please send an E-Mail to colomaniac[at]gmx[dot]de, containing the the two necessary files (see above). Depending on your operational system, the files may be found at different locations. The savegame is found at "C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\Saves" and the replay-file is found at "C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\Replays". If you haven't got a confirmation of receipt after three days, please ask via personal notification in the forum.

What will be the prize(s)?
Admiring looks at you and a respectful slap on the back.

Where and when can I talk about the GotM-challenge?
In the spoilerthreads, but please have a look in any of them only after having sent your results to us.

Who organizes the challenge?
The SdM(GotM)-Team of the German CivForum's Colonization subforum. Currently, these are the users Elwood, Stoepsel and Writing Bull.

How are the maps created?
The challenges and maps are created once by the one, once by the other member of the SdM(GotM)-team. If you are inclined to create a challenge, please contact us via Private Message (PM).

There are questions unanswered
Oh, really? Then please ask here.

You are looking for the current game? --> It is here!

Have fun! :)

Attachments

• Game of the Month Colonization.jpg
    Game of the Month Colonization.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 32,096
Hi! I am very excited about this GOTM. I played through a couple of games with the mod and loved it. Can you kindly point to the spoiler threads for this GOTM?

Guys, what was the reason that all the GoTM threads go under Creation and Customization? If this really is going to be a new tradition -- wouldn't it better to get a special GoTM subforum?

Guys, what was the reason that all the GoTM threads go under Creation and Customization? If this really is going to be a new tradition -- wouldn't it better to get a special GoTM subforum?

The main reason is that this GotM is played with the mod TAC. So it could be a little bit special and anything you find about TAC is written under Creation and Customization. Also this challenge takes place as a cooperative event between the Civfanatics forum and the German-speaking Civforum.de where it is developed.

Top Bottom