NinNES I: Antiquity Broken

Yeah, I'm going to be waiting until the next update to write up some stories.

The Legend of the Tidvannet Dyr

Most historians seem to be unable to agree upon when the iconic legend of the Tidvannet Dyr arose from the Norwegian society nor who authored it but one universally agreed upon fact is that it occurred during the Swedish wars. The Legend would become central to the early Norwegian beliefs as it was the first recorded instance that the two guardians of the tides, Tvike and Makt, were mentioned.

Most of the legends start with Víkar, the hero of the myth, leading a small raid into Swedish seas when a sudden fog arives that is so thick the ships lose their way in it. Víkar then receives a prophecy in a dream where he is standing on the waves as a turtle the size of a small island appears before him and says that by entering the seas covertly with the intention of doing harm he has angered the guardian spirits and must appease them. The spirit orders Víkar to toss a silver coin into the waves for each ship he has in order to secure safe passage by Tvike and Makt, the guardian spirits of the tides.

Upon waking up Víkar does as the spirit asked and soon the fog starts to clear allowing them to continue on their journey. When his raiding party nearly reach the soars they are ambushed by a large fleet of stolen warships that the local Swedish chief managed to acquire.

The two sides engage in combat but it seems clear that the Norwegian raiders will lose the battle. However, as the ships begin to rout and retreat two massive figures rise from the waves revealing the turtle spirit Víkar had seen before and a giant squid.

The two beasts begin to assist the Norwegians in combat. The squid, named Tvike by the legends, lifts its tentacles high from the water and wrapped them around an enemy ship before snapping it in half in an awesome show of strength. The turtle Makt would ram its head into the hulls of ships and cause them to sink to the bottom of the ocean.

With their assistance Víkar was not only able to keep all his ships alive but also defeat the Swedish ships and continue on their mission. But not before promising to build a shrine for each of the spirits when he returned to his home and to always cast silver into the waves before going out to sea.

Yes, use it to illustrate all of my RPs here. Glad to know that there are still some people who remember it.

I actually have it, but Civ is better IMO

Civ can only illustrate large scale things, AoM is much better for the small character focused stories that I write. Not to mention you can get mythological creatures in AoM which you can't do without mods in Civ.

Unless you were talking about the actual game to which I say you cannot compare the two since it is two different genres. Which one you like more is based on whether you like turn-based or real time strategy more.

Bair_the_Normal/Érvaind
Dynasty: Dáirfhine
Capital: Dúnsláine
Background:

It was during the rule of Rí Ánrothán Mac Fechín Ó Niallán that his small Irish Kingdom of Érvaind was able to triumph over a multitude of their neighbours in a series of bloody and eventful wars. However, it was the reign of Ánrothán's son, Mór Rí Domhnall Mac Ánrothán Ó Fechín, that the full triumphs of Érvaind stretched across the whole island of Éire. He fully incorporated the other Éirich ethnic groups by establishing rather 'forceful' methods of assimilation. He was also the first ruler of Érvaind to establish the Geimhreadh Ruathar, or the 'Winter Raids', an annual series of naval attacks and raids against the still divided coastal occupants of their neighbours of Oircoill (Wales) and Albain (Scotland).

OOC: If this is valid, then hoo-rah. If not, Scotland will be my home. :)

OOC: Either way you are still the closest target for a Viking invasion, have fun! :)

OOC: If you haven't read my RP I have already started a war with Sweden. As for why Ireland: You have money, the tribes of Denmark do not.

OOC: I would make a comment about the Irish economy, but that would just be crass. And I know about your Swedish conquests. They're pretty cool. Regardless, the best targets for Norway would IMO be Sweden > Danes > Jutes > Angles > Frisians > Britons > Scots > Irish > Franks.

OOC: Thanks, spent quite a bit of time setting up the scenario for the battle. And while that progression would make sense from a IRL stand point game wise the conquest of tribal lands gives me nothing but more land on the map. Also I don't plan on conquering you, just raiding your lands for money like real vikings did and make a few stories around the invasions.

I am currently conflicted on whether I should make the Irish be depicted as trolls or dwarfs in my new mythology. What would you prefer?

OOC: Oh, what I was saying is that Denmark is much richer land-wise than Ireland is, not to mention easier to raid and closer.

But hmm... That's a good question. It's been a while since I played AoM. Dwarves would be my choice.

OOC: Sure they may be richer-land wise but the game mechanics makes it more profitable for me to raid you. Player Civs get rare resources as well as EP that I should hopefully be able to steal. Either way it won't be happening for a while, the Swedes have to die first and a few other plans will have to be implemented.

Okay, dwarves would have been easier on me anyways as they have actual buildings for me to place down. And since they count as a civilian unit I don't have to worry about them killing the raiders I send after them which is always a problem when trying to take a good screenshot.

The Conquests of Rí Ánrothán Mac Fechín Ó Niallán: Part I
The Battle of Corcaigh

It was Rí Ánrothán Mac Fechín Ó Niallán who initiated the battle in the wet marshes of Corcaigh. With his grand army counting more than five-thousand veteran men, hardened and tested by their prior victories in Cluain Meala and Dún Garbháin, Rí Ánrothán was more than confident of his ability to secure a quick victory against the disorganized and previously routed armies of Rí Abbán of Corcaigh. Despite his confidence, and the skill of his army, it was a well-known fact that the army of all the lands of Corcaigh numbered over eight-thousand men. Rí Ánrothán’s men knew this fact, and they knew it well. Nevertheless, despite being in the heart of enemy territory, despite their impending battle against an army almost twice their size, despite the long months of recent warring, they never lost their fiery drive and passion for battle, and it would be this very same drive and passion that would carry them through to the conquest of Corcaigh.

The battle commenced before the break of dawn, as Rí Ánrothán had given consideration and approval to an ambush attack against the camping armies of Corcaigh, who would likely still be sleeping, or just waking up. The time for planning and discussion was over. The time for battle and conquest, of bloodlust and bloodshed, had now begun. With a fierce and sharp cry, the army of Rí Ánrothán rushed straight into battle, axes drawn and faces red with anger. There was not one face of fear among his men, and it is here that a most peculiar strategy of the armies of Rí Ánrothán arises.
The armies of Rí Ánrothán are taught from the start of their training to work themselves up into a very potent and very fearsome rage. It is this ‘cuthach dearg’ (red rage) that gives the armies of Rí Ánrothán the strength they need to emerge victorious from any battle they choose.

When dawn broke at the swamps of Corcaigh, red was in every person’s eyes. In the eyes of the army of Rí Ánrothán, the cuthach dearg was providing them with all its glory and potency, while in the eyes of the Corcaigh horde, the red came from the blood of their allies, who were being cut down as easily as grasses before a scythe.
No, such an encounter does not deserve to be called a battle. It was a rout.

WIP _ A case of misunderstanding of the current age.
Spoiler :

Heruli Seniores

The royal elites of the Heruli Society, these men would act as the personal body guards of the King as well as be a force in the battle fields, the deployment of which itself would turn the tide of the battle. The creation & maintenance of such a force would be costly, since the armor of these warring beasts as well as the riders that ride on them would have to be crafted in great detail, so as to make them the beasts they are supposed to be.
The process starts with selecting the horses, the best breeds would have to be selected, that weigh 1500 - 2000 pounds. The horse armor is made out of several individual overlapping pieces which are then attached to one another (piece armor). The horse is also provided with a fine head guard so that the beast itself can have some sort of protection while charging into an large horde of people. The scale mail would be to ensure what ever pikes and poles that are offered to the horses, would cause the minimum damage. Saddles and stirrups are also provided along with the armor, so that the men can control the horses better. The soldiers, the Seniores, themselves, would be equipped with plate mail armor, carrying a lance and one among swords or axes according to the personal preference of the warriors.

Pretty cool RP. My only objection is that it is anachronistic as this NES takes place around the time of the Romans if I read the beginning correctly. I do believe there is a Roman age mod for M&B that you could download to remedy that however.

Pretty cool RP. My only objection is that it is anachronistic as this NES takes place around the time of the Romans if I read the beginning correctly. I do believe there is a Roman age mod for M&B that you could download to remedy that however.
Pre-roman actually, nearly Pre-Persian.

Top Bottom