Capto Iugulum: 1920 - 1939

Vinland has enjoyed somewhat better relations with Denmark ever since our falling-out with Scandinavia over their whole proletarist revolution thing, so we might be less inclined to view them as ersatz Germans than our cousins in the fatherland.

The idea of Finns being considered ethnic Scandinavians is pretty strange, given that Finnish is like, a completely different language to the point of being in a different family to Scandinavian.

Also, Danes consider the Swedes and Norwegians to be their smarmy city-slicker cousins. You know, the ones who haven't done an honest days work in their life. Darn city-folk!

The decent sized Icelandic population in Vinland is interesting and made me think of some stuff. OTL, there was a sizeable emigration from Iceland to Canada and America because of various reasons (mostly climatic, though Danish neglect of the island factored into it). However, ITTL, Denmark had an actual settler colony in this period in Oranjien.

Oranjien was probably viewed as the land of opportunity for the average Dane in this period, similar to how Australia was viewed by the British. Sparsely inhabited, and pretty big in comparison to its population, there's probably a lot of landless Danes and Icelanders who came to Oranjien with the intent of raising cattle like the British settlers did in Australia.

What this means is that Oranjien is a pretty interesting country. For starters, a lot of the Icelanders (maybe most?) who fled famine in Iceland would have ended up in Oranjien, making it significantly more Icelandic. I mean, sure, they're still called 'Danes' for the purposes of the outside world, because they've interbred enough over the last two generations that there's no real difference, but the Oranjienish dialect of Danish would probably be a lot closer to Icelandic than Danish is, and slang would sound kind of archaic, with a more Icelandic accent to it maybe. Mix that with the significant amount of Khoisan loanwords, you've got a pretty unique language.

Oranjien might actually be a really odd country.

@Grandkhan, I thought it was pretty clear that the list of facts were tailored to the preferences of the Revolutionary Government. :p

I would imagine that more Icelanders would go to Vinland than Oranjien, if only for climactic reasons. The traditional Icelandic industries of fishing and shepherding work quite well in the interior of Vinland, while they would have to adapt significantly to surviving in the tropics. Also, I imagine that the presence of a Nordic settler colony in the new world would cause much of the Scandinavian migration to the American Midwest to end up in western Vinland.

That said, I'm certain that there is a significant Icelandic influence in both regions, which is quite interesting in terms of cultural evolution.

Also, Finns are included as Scandinavians because they are ruled by Scandinavia.

The nighttime fog saturated the air along with the blood and fire. The city of Charleston - at one time, America's crown jewel - was now little more than a dull glow as seen from the bastion of Fort Sumter. Another glow stood out on the fortress walls. Sergeant Dunaph's cigarette shined briefly, before the fog had company. A figure walked up to the Sergeant from his right-hand side.

"Good evening, Sarge."

"Evening?" scoffed Dunaph, quietly, "It's 3 o' clock. You might as well say morning."

The figure laughed. "I say 'morning' after I've had a full night's sleep. I've been waiting a few months for that privilege again."

Dunaph didn't smile. "What is the news, Lieutenant?"

"The prisoner is awake again. Johnson told me to come ask if you wanted to continue the interrogation, or else he'll do it himself."

Dunaph grimaced. "Johnson's idea of interrogation is electrocution, and nothing more. What a waste." Dunaph paused to take another drag from his cigarette, a Virginia's Finest. He appreciated, in his mind, how Virginia's Finest probably resembled sand and gravel more than any type of vegetation.

"Johnson's an idiot, but he's a good soldier," said Lieutenant Hughes.

"Yeah, well, this is sensitive work. I wish I could get him to appreciate that."

The guns of Fort Sumter immediately sounded off, blasting a salvo in the direction of Charleston. The air shook with the menacing tremolo of the artillery fire, as the mighty Finks launched an impressive quantity of ordinance at Charleston.

After thirty seconds had passed, the blasting ceased, and in the distance it was perhaps possible to see that the glow had spread - but for as long as Dunaph thought about it, the difference seemed imperceptible.

"You know, artillery is one area where the American military has been consistently exemplary. Did you know that, Lieutenant?"

Hughes snorted. "Exemplary? By what standards?"

"By the important ones. Range, accuracy, rate of fire, precision. When Europeans were lobbing cannonballs at barn walls and missing by miles, our cannoners could flatten a squad at three hundred meters."

"You're exaggerating."

Dunaph paused briefly to smoke. "Perhaps. I am simply saying that Americans have a peculiar talent for big guns. Did you know the leading cause of casualties in the War of the Presidency? Artillery. Americans versus Americans. I would worry about this war as much if we were fighting Americans, but we are just fighting confused devils much too out of their depth."

"Devils maybe. They certainly fight like them," said Hughes with a grimace.

"Believe me, I meant what I said," said Dunaph with a knowing nod, "Their soldiers have a look of passion I have not seen in men before. And we - we have a reckless disregard for human life."

"Quite a match for artillerymen, is that what you're saying?" asked Hughes.

Dunaph didn't respond right away. "Sometimes I wonder if this is God's punishment for removing the negro from his homelands."

"How do you mean?"

Dunaph cracked a smile and shook his head. "Because it defies logic. It is the nature of man to look to God when he reaches the limit of his knowledge. And I - I have no knowledge of how the negro could facilitate such an impressive army."

Dunaph took another long drag, continuing to gaze at the city. He imagined in the heart of that glow was a battle that raged and raged, one that had gone on for months, almost years. Wave after wave of Proletarist soldier, eyes blazing with pure hatred, dashing themselves against the defensive lines of panicked, jittery men who were too young to take lives. Too afraid to pull the trigger, or run away, or even move - too afraid that the well-coifed Inquisitor in the navy blue overcoat would end him with one puny shriek of the Type 40-11 semiautomatic pistol that was standard issue to all officers. Too afraid to do anything but watch as the furious negro charged at him, slashing the air with his battle-cry, before a sheet of bullets chopped him down. And then his squad leader would grab him by his collar and scream in his ear. "Get it together, O'Shannon," he would say.

Dunaph blinked. "My father came to this country from Russia. I struggle to imagine why, but here I am. His name was Dunayevski, but the immigration official had a hard time with that, so he just wrote down 'Dunaf.' He lived and worked in Philadelphia and was treated with contempt by everyone for his Russian-ness - his neighbors, his coworkers, his boss. He died penniless of a cured disease, thirty years ago. I was sixteen.

"Back then, nobody doubted that Russians - like everyone else - were lessers. They, and the negros, and the Orientals, and the spics, and the kikes, and the Germans, French, Italians, Brazilians, Spaniards, Romans, Vinlanders - they were all, all, lesser. And I was the son of a Russian, and I was accepted. How about that? Even being the son of a lesser, I was indistinguishable from every great grandson or great nephew of George goddamn Washington."

Hughes' skin crawled. "What are you trying to say?"

"We broke them. Shattered them utterly. Those Proletarists are not devils because they are not men, they are devils because they have been destroyed. They have only known of the void. 'Hope' was meaningless to them. And now we reap what we sow."

Hughes frowned heavily. "Oh, please, you're beginning to sound like one of them."

"Am I? They say we cannot coexist. I think they are right. I know they are right. We brought them here and we taught them how to be miserable. And now they hound us at every turn. If they kill us, it will have been our own doing."

Hughes sighed and put his forefinger and thumb on his temple. He clenched his eyes. "You're not good a morale boosting. I need you to know that, Sarge."

"My father was a poet."

"A Russian poet."

"This is a country of hatred. It hates all of its neighbors, and all of its neighbors hate them."

"The Russian expedition was welcomed with open arms. We aren't the pariah of international relations that you make us out to be. Come on, now."

"Yes, it took the threat of extinction to get us to realize that Russians were better than us in so many important ways. That's delusion!"

"No, it's pride, and it's all we have left."

Dunaph said nothing for awhile. Lieutenant Hughes shifted uncomfortably.

"I am sorry to pick a fight with you, Lieutenant," said Dunaph at last, "I suppose I shall go visit the prisoner now."

"Very good, Sarge," said the Lieutenant, and he saluted Dunaph. As he began to walk away, Hughes stood there, unsure of himself. He shouted after Dunaph, "Sarge!"

Sergeant Dunaph turned and looked at the Lieutenant. "Yes?"

"Do you think we have a chance?"

Dunaph smiled coldly. "That is in God's hands. But it won't stop me from obliterating as many Proles as I can." Dunaph turned and continued walking. "They killed my mother, after all."

OOC: I'm glad someone picked up on that, bestshot9. :)

OOC: Shouldn't it be Charleston not Savannah? :p

OOC: God damnit I can't read. Fixed.

Taking SPAIN

This was all part of the plan.

Global News Report​

CIVILIAN AIRPORTS BEGIN DEPLOYING NEW DETECTION SYSTEMS. Hiroshima, Japan. A system popularly known by the British term “radar” has entered into fairly common civilian usage this year through various global airfields and airports. A system which has become fairly well known lately, despite top secrecy by a number of governments, has at last managed to be developed by civilian contractors. With these developments and the implementation of new airport guidance methods, the history of the device has also begun to leak out to the global public. It has been revealed that the first functioning radar was developed and deployed by Japan in 1929, and various other nations since then. The capture of a number of radar installations in the late war involving Burgundy, has led to the greater proliferation of the device and technology. Civilian airplane enthusiasts and passengers are relieved because proper implementation of radar could easily save hundreds of lives each year as planes are guided to more precise landings around the world.

News from Europe​

KINGDOM OF THE CZECHS PROCLAIMED. Prague, Czech Kingdom. Last year’s military coup in Cechy-Morava has led to the development of a new government and new regime, with Hungarian and Russian backing. Some were concerned that the leader of the coup, JarekSzalbirak would continue to rule simply as an unjustified tyrant. These concerns have been put to rest as a member of the Czech aristocracy, OttokarCzernin, has been selected as the new King of the Czechs. The military and other members of the aristocracy have selected the new ruler of the Czech people, and he has the backing of both Hungary and Russia. General Szalbirak has announced that he will not act as the nation’s head of state, but will continue to remain a close advisor and consultant for the king. The new King Ottokar has accepted the gracious help of the general and will likely remain in close concert with the same agendas and policies. In addition to the establishment of the new kingdom, the nation’s press has been completely nationalized, and reformed under royal observation and control. The government rests thoroughly in the hands of the new monarchy, and many are convinced that the new apparatus will remain dominated by Szalbirak and his friends to the east.

BRETON ELECTIONS HELD. Nantes, Brittany. The elections in the small Western European nation of Brittany were a fairly minor affair this year, with one or two notable events. The reigning conservative party, the Plaid Geidwadol, is still fairly popular among the masses, likely due to the relative security of the nation’s economy for the time being. News about a general economic recovery further boosted their political capital, helping them retain their position as the definitive majority party in Brittany. The only real item of difference or interest taking place in the business as usual election was the establishment of a small fringe party, looking to protest and move against the legalization of the traditional proletarists. The BlaidCheltaiddNewydd has been created from an odd coalition, with a collection of ideals which often conflict with any currently standing party. They remain a small group, failing to obtain any seats at all this current election, but they continue to hold out hope for future elections.

DEATH OF THE KING OF BULGARIA. Mandrensko, Bulgaria. King Ioan of Bulgaria sadly passed away this year, after a fairly uneventful rule begun after his father’s death in 1928. The king ruled fairly and masterminded the recent buildup of the nation’s navy and other armed forces, working closely to build new ties with the Roman Empire and Russia. His death has been fairly unnoticed by the masses, though there was some concern over the lack of any living progeny. His son had passed away in an automotive accident in 1934, and with no other heir, Ioan’s title of king has passed to his younger brother. The new King Yavor II has come to the throne and is well known as a conservative politician, with limited military experience of his own. He has promised to continue his brother’s policies and retain the nation’s friendship with the other countries of the Balkans and Eastern Europe. Unfortunately, the king’s arrival has not been unanimously welcomed, as a local radical proletarist group attempted an assassination at the new king’s coronation. The attempt was stopped by local security and the secret police and the perpetrators were arrested. It has been made clear that some still advocate republicanism and the end of the repression of the monarchy and the Russians who back it.

ELECTIONS IN CATALONIA. Barcelona, Catalonia. The Catalonian government controlled by the social proletaristMovimentd'Alliberament has held together for the time being, but has come under severe fire for the involvement in the war in the Americas. Quite a few critics have emerged stating that Catalonia’s deployment of air forces has crippled defenses at home, at a time when relations with Spain are at an all-time low. The result has been substantial criticism of the Rosa presidency, as the opposition has rallied considerable support for their cause. Due to the criticism, President Ricard Rosa has announced that he would not be running for another term of office alongside his counterparts in the nation’s legislature. Silva Garcia has run in his stead for the social proletarists, and has promised a recall of the remaining Catalan expeditionary force in the United Proletarist Republics of America. The Movimentd'Alliberament has just barely managed to eke back into the majority, while Garcia similarly won the presidency. The regime is still very tenuous, undermining the stability of the nation as a whole entity. (-1 Stability)

DEATH OF KING LEADS TO NEW REPUBLIC. Grenoble, Dauphine. There has been a king in Grenoble ruling Dauphine for a large number of years, and the late King Humbert VI has been no exception to the rule. Having gained the throne under the Confederation in 1899 and despite his conservative background, he has been a highly popular monarch, and widely considered to be a popular man of the people. He ruled fairly under the Confederation, appointing both liberal and conservative ministers with no real bias, unlike the kings in Poitou and Normandy. After gaining independence, hae has stood as a stalwart figure, even refusing to evacuate Grenoble when the Burgundian army threatened it. With no heir of his own, and being the last of his line, it has been a concern of many of who the next successor would be to the throne after the king’s passing. When the king’s will was revealed, it was discovered that he designated as his successor, the “people of Dauphine.” The king’s personal finances were dedicated to the establishment of a new republic, and the end of the old system. Members of the aristocracy attempted to suppress these revelations, and discussions began on the appointment of a new king. Immediately liberal opposition and republicans organized protests, and unrest, and a military response occurred, leading to bloodshed in the streets. The opposition began organizing their own forces and mobilizing for the possibility of a civil war. Prime Minister RochForestier, a conservative aristocrat himself, managed to barely forestall the outbreak of a civil war, accepting the terms of the king’s last request for the people. A new republican government has been formed with the same parliamentary distribution that previously existed, and the powers formerly granted to the monarchy have been distributed between the prime minister and the parliament. Unfortunately, there remains considerable resentment among the aristocracy, and some fear a backlash against the enforced reforms. (-1 Stability)

PORTUGUESE ELECTIONS HELD. Lisbon, Portugal. The continuing prosperity and growth in Portugal even while the rest of the world has languished in a harsh recession, has helped cement the control of the conservative Reclamation Party over the nation. However, there has been some concern that the prosperity at play is causing lax morals and a less religious government and state. The response has been a splinter from the conservatives, as the Portuguese Moralist Party has begun to emerge and grow in recent months. The Moralists have won over the support of the Catholic Church, and have called for reforms and prohibition, mimicking similar policies recently passed in Spain. They have yet to gain a substantial holding in the nation’s legislature, but have become a force to be reckoned with, as they have been invited into several postings by the Reclamation Party in order to retain conservative control of the legislature. Despite these political developments, the conservatives have fairly well coasted into victory, and have allowed Prime Minister Carmo Abreu to remain in his post.

LONDON BOMBING KILLS DOZENS. London, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. The British capital was rocked this year by a massive explosion, leveling a building not far from Parliament and other government offices. The building was deemed a total loss, and dozens are confirmed dead, and hundreds more are still missing or otherwise unaccounted for. Credit for the blast has been taken by an independent Irish separatist group, which identified itself to the local paper. They have claimed that the building was the beating heart of the British Intelligence Service, calling it the root of all oppression towards the Irish people. They have stated that they have launched a great blow for their freedom, while the British government has denied that the location has any such significance, stating that the protection of the British people has not been compromised by such a rabble. Official statements claim that the building was simply an old archive of parliament, and those killed in the explosion were innocent of any wrong doing.

WORKERS LAUNCH STRIKE IN BRITTANY. Nantes, Brittany. The continuing dominance of the conservative party in Brittany has not been welcomed by the entire population. Spurred by the Radiclau, several major unions went on strike this year to demand better treatment and government legislation. They have called for improved healthcare, pensions, and a set minimum wage to allow them some decent level of living. The strike has consisted of a number of important factories and dock facilities, shutting down production and hurting the national exports. The government has refused to negotiate or intervene, calling for the businesses themselves to regulate their work force. This has led to some limited violence and disputes, as the industries have hired private security forces to restore order. The demonstrations have been dispersed, and for the most part, the businesses have replaced their old labor with new workers, building resentment both against them and the recently elected regime. (-1 Stability)

ARRESTS MADE AFTER BRUSSELS RIOT. Brussels, Flanders. Several riots were spurred this month by a collection of unions in the nations of Flanders. Demanding reform and the recognition of the traditional proletarist movement, the protests quickly turned violent, as the crowds were agitated into attacking local police stations. Several police officers were killed in the rioting, and the military was called in to restore order. Astonishingly they managed to do so with minimal civilian losses or collateral damage, leading to the implementation of temporary martial law and curfews as an investigation was launched into the riot. It was discovered that a small minority of proletarists were responsible for the policemen’s deaths as well as for the rioting as a whole. These traditional proletarists have been arrested, and imprisoned for their efforts in creating a riot and spurring such disorderly behavior. The arrests have effectively gutted the traditional proletarist movement in Flanders, helping to maintain order and stability. (+1 Stability)

SEPTEMBRISTS LAUNCH PROTESTS IN POITOU. Poitiers, Poitou. The recent growth of new Confederate movements in places like Occitania or Orleans has had backlash in the more reluctant states. The conservative government in Poitou has so far steadily stood against the recreation of a new Confederation, particularly one with Occitania at its head. The matter as not changed as major pro-Confederation protests were rallied this year by the members of the liberal Septembrist party. The protests were observed by the police, but the government did not make an effort into intervening directly, due to fears of escalation of the situation. Speeches were made recalling the stability and prosperity of the old Confederation, stating that the new one could only be more prosperous. The protests have helped to build more local support for such a movement, but the government has stated that it continues to stand fast against any current or future reunification.

COUP ATTEMPTED IN ROMAN EMPIRE. Constantinople, Roman Empire. A popular Greek general in the Roman Legion attempted to make a bid for his own personal power and position within the Roman Empire. The current Imperator, Scandinavian Sven Vasa, is still not entirely popular among the predominantly Greek population of the empire and the military. After building his own support among elements of the military leadership, General GeorgiosArsenis made a bid to seize power for himself. At first, he achieved total surprise, leading his supporting military forces into the outskirts of Constantinople and cutting off communication with the rest of the Empire’s military. Unfortunately, the Praetorian Guard were alerted to the effort, and managed to rally local military forces to the defense of the inner city. The fighting took place quickly and in the streets, as the rebel forces attempted to take the Imperator’s Palace and gain control of the fortifications on the eastern end of the city. The fortifications held and the rebels were pushed back out into the country side after a few days of fighting. Neither side deployed artillery or much heavy equipment, attempting to leave the city intact as possible. Unfortunately for Arsenis’ cause, more loyalist forces arrived from the west, cutting off his escape into Bulgaria.Arsenis ordered his army to surrender, and disappeared into the countryside with his closest backers. The Praetorian Guard and other intelligence forces have begun investigating for the man, but fear that the instability created by the coup would remain intact. (-7 Infantry Brigades, -1 Laelaps Armored Brigade)

REICHSTAG FIRE THWARTED IN MUNICH. Munich, Germany. A fire was set on one of the periphery buildings of the German Reichstag this year, threatening to ruin the entire complex. An explosion at a gas pump started the fire, and fortunately only destroyed a single building in the area. Responsible for the fire was a lone Austrian anarchist who later eluded police forces, before shooting himself and his mistress in his apartment in the city. Responsibility was claimed amid numerous documents and piles of disjointed ramblings throughout the apartment. The German government has claimed that no one was killed or injured in the fire, but some sources indicate that a number of people were killed, despite the claims that the building was empty. The presence of ambulances and medical personnel seem to indicate that there is more to the story, but the German government has declined further comment.

UPRISING ON THE BALTIC. Riga, Russia. The Russian government faced a new revolt this year as Latvian and Lithuanian rebels launched attempts to attack and destroy military outposts throughout the region. As Russian troops pulled out of the region to other parts of the empire, and their intelligence services reduced local effort, the resistance saw a chance to win a victory for their cause. The attacks have been well organized and orchestrated, causing considerable damage to local Russian military forces and infrastructure. The Russian army quickly responded in force, but appear to have been stretched with what little they were provided. Eventually skilled anti-partisan units were transferred from across the empire, and attacks were made on suspected strongholds and positions. The Russians still have not managed to completely crush the resistance, but by the end of the year, casualties were mounting and the rebels had not quite yet been defeated in their efforts. (-18 Manpower, -6 Infantry Brigades, -1 Cavalry Brigade)

FBM MOVES INTO SERBIA. Belgrade, Serbia. The Free Balkan Movement which began as an offshoot of an underground newspaper in Bosnia has at last begun to spread out of its initial borders. The organization has spread into Serbia, establishing sister branches throughout Belgrade and other cities. Calling for the overthrow of the Russian supported monarchies and the establishment of freed “workers’ states,” they have also been linked to Scandinavian proletarism by Russian intelligence. King Aleksander has promised the full dedication of the monarchy’s resources to the destruction of this threat, pledging that the nation’s security forces would not stop until the Free Balkan Movement is purged. Unfortunately, the group seems to be developing strong local connections and have eluded any attempts at capture or defeat. They have been increasing in strength by the day, and authorities have denied that they have requested Russian aid in a worsening situation. (-1 Stability)

BUILDING TOPPLED IN STOCKHOLM. Stockholm, Scandinavia. A major explosion rocked Scandinavia late this year as a collection of bombs were detonated underneath the headquarters of the National Intelligence Commission in Stockholm. The bombs were extremely deadly and devastating, ruining the buildings and severely damaging surrounding ones. Investigations were immediately launched both by local and national authorities, attempting to determine the source of the vicious attack. They did not have to look very long as a Norwegian separatist group claimed responsibility for the attack. They have stated that Stockholm has oppressed the western people of Norway for too long and that this is their vengeance. Arrests have been quickly made in the matter, and the culprits are believed to have been brought to justice for their crime by the remnants of the NIC.

OCCITANIA FINANCES AIRFIELDS. Toulouse, Occitania. The past few years have seen a dramatic growth in commercial passenger and shipping through aircraft globally, and in Europe. The creation of profitable airlines has also led to new demands for better airfields, allowing more secure and protected landings. The invention of radar and its sale to numerous governments have allowed the safety of aircraft to become more assured, and is one of multiple improvements being implemented this year by the government of Occitania. The Occitanians are taking extensive precautions and preparations to completely revitalize and bolster the nation’s aeronautical transportation industry. The current plan is to expand and develop existing airfields and create landing areas suitable for large scale transit and commerce. Construction began late this year, and most estimate that the new program will be complete no later than 1938.

TRANSITION GOVERNMENTS IN BURGUNDY. Dijon, Burgundy. After the anarchy and military rule of the past two years, it seems that a peace of a type has at last come to the realms formerly known as the Empire of Burgundy. Two different approaches have been guided towards reconstruction as Orleans and Normandy have taken the lead in the new Republic of Paris and Occitania puts the most effort into Burgundy. The Burgundians have backed a military leader, General Lucrece Favre, as direct control is established over the area and reconstruction begins. Occitania has also imported a number of bureaucrats and administrators to help with the reconstruction of a Burgundian government, and the establishment of a new regime. In Paris, however, Orleans and Normandy have relied upon local workers with no ties to the old empire, and have established an Interim Parliament, though direct control rests in the hands of the currently appointed Prime Minister, Ulrich Paget, and local military forces. Reconstruction is well underway, as an outpouring of support from across Europe has arrived to help rebuild the two new nations, which have been suffering since the conclusion of the Rhine-Rhone War, much less the recent hostilities. Orleans and Normandy have announced plans to hold general elections next year, as the people of Paris vote on what sort of government they would like to obtain. This would be followed by a general withdrawal of Norman and Orleanais military forces in 1938. No such plans have been announced for Burgundy, and some are concerned that the Occitanians may be getting too comfortable in their current position.

RUSSIAN PURGE SHOCKS EUROPE. Moscow, Russia. The Russian Empire undertook a massive intelligence operation this year as the Emperor's Hand and other elite security forces launched a major crackdown upon foreign espionage sources. Over two thousand were arrested, and the evidence has been made public, as the majority of these were proven to be spies for a variety of nations, most predominantly the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Germany, and Scandinavia. These individuals were present in the factories, Russian businesses, and in the military and bureaucracy, feeding information to foreign powers. The Russian government has condemned the involved nations, though all have denied the charges of espionage. Trials were immediately and publically held for all concerned in the espionage cases, and are slated to be continued throughout 1937. So far, a sparse few have been found innocent, and a number of prominent journalists have verified the legitimacy of both the evidence and the trials. Protests have been made, as some of those arrested, and later executed, have been foreign nationals, including several members of British consulate staff.

RUSSIA LIFTS POLISH RESTRICTIONS. Warsaw, Russia. The self-destruction of varying Polish nationalist movements last year have led to a loosening of restrictions throughout the Russian controlled Polish provinces. The first of these has been the lessening of curfew hours, allowing businesses to be open into the night, and a repeal of the ban of public meetings. Poles have been granted more rights, and near equality with Russians themselves, as they have been restored some property and privileges. Furthermore, the Russian government has returned lands and property seized in recent anti-partisan activities, returning land and wealth to their proper owners. The Russian government has stated that with the recent compliance and support of the Polish people, the changes have been allowed. Military authorities have warned against exploiting Russian leniency, and continue to maintain a heavy presence throughout Poland.

ROMAN-ITALIAN COOPERATION PACT. Taranto, Italy. In a fairly surprising move, the Italian and Roman governments have come together as brothers for the first time in decades. A simmering rivalry has always existed between the two, as both consider themselves inheritors of the legacy of the larger Roman Empire. A new agreement has been signed this year, promising collaborative military training and drills, particularly in the realm of naval and airborne combat. The two powers have begun working together as Roman naval officers have begun to serve as observers within the Italian navy. The hopes are to improve the Roman fleet to more modern standards, as the navy has suffered in recent years, never recovering from the Constantinople Event as the other branches of the armed services have.

News from the Americas​

NEW ELECTIONS IN COSTA RICA. San Jose, Costa Rica. As part of the treaty bringing about the end of the war between Nicaragua and Costa Rica, the Costa Ricans have undertaken new elections this year, free and open for all contenders. The constitution currently in play is heavily modeled upon that of the current Nicaraguan government, so it has been probable that whatever regime emerges will be one with strong power for the executive branch. President Hugo Urbina of Nicaragua has kept a close eye on the current elections, and one of the foremost contenders for president of Costa Rica has been one of the Nicaraguan President’s close friends, Gabriel Riva. A former member of a seminary, Riva had fled the de Luz government in past years to exile in Nicaragua. The elections eventually resulted in an overwhelming majority bringing Riva into office as Costa Rica’s new president. Unfortunately, some minor question has called the results of the election into dispute, as a number of Vinlandic observers have claimed that there was extensive interference from the Costa Rican Catholic Church. Regardless of these allegations, the Costa Rican people are happy that it seems that the period of instability and war is at an end, and cautiously welcome their new president. (+1 Stability)

LEGISLATIVE ELECTIONS HELD IN CHILE. Santiago, Chile. As part of the campaign promise of new Chilean president, Michael Viana, the Congress of Chile has been recalled, and new elections have been held to fill the posts. Viana has established himself as the head of the new liberal Party of Labor, calling for working class reforms and the protection of the poor. He has further called for the reduction of religious influences and advisors in the bureaucracy, including the elimination of the post of Religious Advisor, typically held by a standing bishop in the Catholic Church of Chile. Unfortunately, the rising Moralist Party has had different views, and with the support base created by President Cruz, many of his former backers retain powerful positions regionally. These backers have become the core of the Moralists and have managed to be elected to a substantial majority. They have come into direct conflict with President Viana, who stands opposed to their basic agendas and ideologies. There has been some concern among Vinlandic election observers that the new congressmen were likely elected because a number of opponents went missing or dropped out of the race. This has put an obvious strain on the current government of Chile. (-1 Stability)

FLORIDIAN ELECTIONS HELD. Dallas, Florida. The government of Florida has had an odd love-hate relationship with liberal parties over the years, and the slow progression of the United Front from moderate coalition to liberal party has been a matter of dispute. Regardless, this year, the full colors have been shown, while President Matthew Lockwood has been besieged due to harsh criticism over the handling of the war with Jacksonia and the current crisis in the United States. Due to the damage his tenure as President has caused the United Front, he was formally expelled from the party early this year as a new candidate was selected from the liberal ranks, Ernest Ponder. The Reformed Party of the Republic embraced President Lockwood instead, hoping to accumulate more moderate voters for their own cause. Unfortunately, it did not work out that way, as Ponder promised a continuing growth of peace and prosperity, as well as isolation from violence and warfare. Eager for a time without war, the people of Florida have voted in droves for the United Front and Ponder, who have triumphantly surged to victory and been brought to new posts. (+1 Stability)

ELECTIONS IN NICARAGUA. Managua, Nicaragua. Even while a similar government was being established in neighboring Costa Rica, the Nicaraguans were undertaking their own electoral campaigns. President Urbina, regarded as the victor of the war with Costa Rica and the resulting reform and successes, was confident in his ability to crush any opposition for his position. Unfortunately, the liberal opposition, calling for the restoration of the congress and legislature, began an aggressive campaign of their own, attempting to turn the war to their advantage. They seemed to have substantial success in this program, but when the votes were tallied, President Urbina was once more reelected into political office. There has been substantial concern about electoral fraud in the process of the elections, but so far no evidence has emerged that Urbina or his supporters undertook anything but the most honest election campaign possible. Still, the rumors persist, and the untimely disappearance of a number of election workers has thrown further suspicion upon the affair, and there has been significant muttering against the regime. (-1 Stability)

ELECTIONS IN THE UNITED STATES. Chicago, United States of America. There was only one issue this year on the minds of voters in the United States of America when they were asked to turn out to the polls. This was the ongoing brutal war with the United Proletarist Republics of America. The Battle of Charleston was still raging when the elections took place, and even as more American soldiers flooded onto the battlefield, the proletarists continued to advance. Word immediately seeped out about horrific atrocities on the city’s white population and massacres taking place in America’s greatest city. These were encouraged by the government in Chicago, and helped spur fear, even among the people of the usually tolerant northeast. President Harris proclaimed that the war against the UPRA was one of survival and dire need, and that all people should stand firmly behind the effort. The election was further helped by total government control over the press, and the closing of polls to the nation’s freed black population. Through the fear mongering and support for the war, President Harris has managed to win in a surprise landslide, though some are concerned about the legitimacy of the number of votes coming in from South Carolina. Similarly the Republican Party has retained its majority, and it seems that the American population have given their support and consent for the continuation of the brutal conflict. Community leaders have rallied the masses, calling for total contribution to the war effort, and the support of every person for the desperate war of survival against the proletarist scourge. (+1 Stability)

GOVERNMENT AT STANDSTILL IN COLOMBIA. Bogota, Colombia. The Colombian government has faced a harsh challenge and call to reality this year as the presidency of President Arcadio Rodriguez has been directly confronted by the legislature. Members of Congress, dominated by the Reformist Party have refused to pass any further legislation and have brought the government to a standstill. They have claimed that the system is corrupt and that the president has sold the nation out to Brazilian and other nations. They have called for immediate reform and impeachment of the president for his alleged corruption and corporate sponsorship. President Rodriguez has denied these claims, stating that he has not acted out of the bounds of the constitution, and fully in line with Colombian law. The debate has brought Colombian politics to a new low, and similarly has created growing dissatisfaction among the public. (-1 Stability)

PROTESTS CALL FOR CUBAN REFORM. Havana, Cuba. Since the takeover of the Cuban government by military forces, the presidency of Adolfo Garcia has been only contested by elections of a dubious nature. The media has remained tightly controlled by the central government, seeking to preserve the status quo and conservative regime. This year, a number of opposition forces managed to muster and protest in the streets of Havana, calling for the restoration of Congress and the resignation of the president. Police and military forces were on hand to observe and prepare if the situation escalated, but did not directly act to suppress the demonstration. Eventually, after a number of impassioned speeches, the protestors dispersed without any damage done, politically or physically. The protest was widely considered to be a defeat for the opposition, having been far beneath the numbers of support they expected. Furthermore, the press has done its best to discredit the demonstration, and it seems their credibility is slipping, though the regime has marked them as a possible long-term threat to the nation’s stability.

MAYAN RESISTANCE GROWS IN HONDURAS. Tegucigalpa, Honduras. The transient Mayan population on the western frontiers of Honduras have always been a minority full of vigor and dissent. The Honduran government has noted this year in a rise of violent behavior and activity from this minority. This has included attacks upon Honduran military patrols and soldiers on leave from their units to homes in the western provinces. The nation has so far condemned these “cowardly attacks” and claimed that evidence exists that the Kingdom of the Mayans is responsible for financing and funding these groups. They have stated that the amount of funds and types of munitions available to the rebels clearly indicate outside financing, which has proven outrageous to the population. The Honduran army has been placed on high alert, and the government has stated that high level talks are being undertaken with Nicaragua and other nearby nations to assure the country’s protection against an aggressive invader.

BRAZILIAN INTERIOR ACTS PASSED. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The Brazilian legislature passed a selection of new laws and acts this year, as a highly public and ambitious move to help bolster the nation’s flagging economy. The first of these is the new, somewhat controversial Settlement Act. The Settlement Act grants one thousand acres of property generously referred to as forest, assuming they clear and farm the lands. The act itself has been fairly popular among the wealthy who can actually afford the costs of clearing such tracts of land and the cattle needed to farm it properly, even though it has not aided the poorer classes of society. The controversial element however has been the fact that the Brazilian government could revoke territory previously considered to be native lands, or otherwise held by various owners. With only a very limited amount of territory owned directly by the government, the Brazilian legislature will be forced to purchase most of the territory for the grants from private owners or seize it directly from the natives who currently live there. Neither option has been supported in the papers, and while the act as a whole is not unpopular, many are concerned about what methods would need to be taken to actually undertake it. In order to pave the road for supporting migration to the interior, the Brazilian government followed the Settlement Act with the Road and Rail Act, which provides tax cuts to companies building infrastructure into interior regions. As with the other, while the act is popular in theory, there remains considerable problems with the actual undertaking, though big businesses are more than prepared to deal with these challenges in years to come. Lastly, the Brazilian government has somewhat reduced educational spending and also provided full financing for the pensions of the elderly.

THE RECLAMATION WAR. Chattanooga, United Proletarist Republics of America. Despite the raging wars in Asia and elsewhere across the world, the attention of the Americas and a good part of Europe was upon the formerly great American metropolis of Charleston. The United Proletarist Republics and the United States of America have continued their death struggle throughout the city and its surrounds. Granted, there has been fighting on other fronts, as UPRA and US forces continue to skirmish and raid across the Ohio River. The UPRA also launched a substantial offensive in the Appalachian Proletarist Republic, seeking to liberate territories occupied by the USA in the first year of the war. This offensive was mostly successful, with the UPRA possessing a larger force, as the US turned its entire efforts to the maelstrom of the Battle of Charleston. The UPRA started the push with their own forces charging into Charleston in a bloody house to house, eventually moving into the skyscraper studded interior of the Citadel in the heart of the city. Attempts were also made to capture Fort Sumter, which dominated the harbor with its heavy guns, but attack after attack failed, as the US Navy continued to support the positions with their own guns. The battle in the skies was hotly contested, as Russian jets have flown more sorties and continue to suffer from equipment degradation and the need to import all jet fuel and supplies from Russia, as they cannot be produced locally. This allowed the UPRA to fly well at times and do some damage to the US Army Air Corps. Eventually though, once more superior Russian jets and American numbers began to overwhelm the UPRA fliers, who were diminished to almost nothing by the end of the year. On the ground, while the UPRA made some early advances into the heart of the city, they were totally on the defensive by mid-July. In a battle were taking a single city block could be a month long campaign, the fight continued to seesaw back forth. Matters were made worse when the underground was flooded, which had previously been a secondary front in the battle. In early August, the US launched a frenzied attack throughout the city, supported by a massive artillery barrage, and naval and air firepower. In this attack they managed to retake the Citadel, and push the UPRA forces back into the southwestern parts of the city, also driving supporting UPRA forces back from the north. Unfortunately, the interior push proved incapable of allowing a flanking move by the US Army, forcing them to continue driving through the urban southwest of Charleston. By the end of the year, the UPRA continues to be entrenched in Isla de Juan, where the local population has provided their own partisan support to the proletarist cause. Casualties have rapidly mounted on both sides, and there are some concerns that the Battle of Charleston is not yet over, despite it already being over a full year of being on the front lines.
Casualty Lists
United Proletarist Republics of America: 164 Conscript Brigades, 10 Infantry Brigades, 4 Equality-type Armored Brigades, 14 Artillery Brigades, 1 Dogfish-class Destroyer, 4 Ursinne-type Fighter Squadrons (+1 Army Quality, +1 Air Force Quality)
United States of America: 201 Conscript Brigades, 20 Infantry Brigades, 3 Cavalry Brigades, 2 Lejon-Modell Armored Brigades, 23 Artillery Brigades, 1 P-21 Fighter Squadron, 1 F-25 Fighter Squadron, 1 H-1921 Fighter Squadron (+1 Army Quality, +1 Navy Quality, +1 Air Force Quality)

MAYAN ARCHEOLOGICAL SOCIETY ESTABLISHED. Belize, Mayaland. The ancient heritage and history of the Mayan people is widely considered to have been the driving cause behind the wars and rebellions for liberation against Spain. The new royal family of the Mayans has hoped to encourage and foster the growth of knowledge about the old Mayan kingdoms to help bolster their own legitimacy. They have thusly established the new Royal Mayan Archeological Society in Belize to investigate and document discoveries made throughout the nation’s plentiful ruins and jungles. The society has already been granted overriding permission in a number of places, and has begun their own investigations. A move which has made this of international interest was the granting of royal approval to Argentine film company, Lionshead Productions, to film the dig sites, granting them unfettered access to the Society’s efforts. Lionshead has stated its intention to turn these sites into films, bringing actors from Argentina as well as hiring a number of locals. Some Mayans have been concerned about the Argentines spoiling their heritage and crassly commercializing the Mayan people for their own wealth, and have protested to the monarchy to stop the filming as soon as possible.

VINLAND DEMONSTRATES NEW WEAPONRY AT ROYAL CONFERENCE. Sjöstad, Vinland. In a move which seems to symbolize reconciliation between Vinland and Brazil, the monarchs of both nations have met and toured the Vinlandic kingdom. The relationship has been strained since the dissolution of the Pan-American Democratic Accord, but cooperation over Jamaica seems to have melted the ice between the two. The highlight of the tour was a grand weapons demonstration at the city of Sjöstad in Dammark, displaying the high technology and great weapons of the Vinlandic people. The flyover by jets purchased from Brazil was impressive, but the centerpiece of the display was the demonstration of the Markenkryssare, Ymer. This massive armored vehicle is known to be the largest land vehicle in the entire world, boasting twin 280mm cannons, and supporting turrets and weaponry. Its armor is effectively immune to any weapon fired by any other existing armored vehicle, and most artillery weapons. The new vehicle has been suitably impressive to all who observed it, shaking the earth as it approached and passed the reinforced observation stands.

US-VINLAND AGREEMENT IN WAKE OF 1935 MASSACRE. Sammanström, Vinland. After last year’s massacre of multiple members of the Vinlandskridningpolis by an American militia involved in smuggling, there was immediate ramifications in the relationship between Vinland and the United States. Faced with substantial other affairs of internal and foreign importance , the American government agreed to allow limited access to Vinlandic investigations and pursuit. However, the bureaucracy involved is intensive, as the Americans have forced Vinlanders to apply through a tedious and prolonged process, delayed by the low amount of resources available due to the war in the south. American authorities have begun investigating the militia involved in the attack, but so far it appears no success or arrests of meaning have been made in the matter. Local American papers have argued that the act was likely undertaken by negro insurgents, seeking to incite the white men against each other. Official American reports have linked to the same conclusion, but Vinlandic witnesses claim that these are blatant lies in every respect, as tensions remain harsh between the two nations.

FIRST PUBLIC DEVELOPMENT FUND COMPLETE IN ARGENTINA. Buenos Aires, Argentina. The greatest and longest running infrastructure and development program in the history of the Americas has been brought to a conclusion this year. The Argentine Public Development Fund, started over twenty years ago, has been the focus of multiple administrations of Argentina’s government, with all parties claiming varying amounts of credit. Though the nation has changed immensely since the project’s conception, the project has ultimately evolved with the rest of the country. The rapid economic growth of the 1920s has been largely attributed to backing from the Public Development Fund, as has the infrastructure needed to surge Rosario to success over other nation’s emerging cinematic industries. The completion and popularity of the Fund has led to the government of President Harkness announcing a second phase, or a second public development fund. The new fund has a different set of priorities, focusing instead upon the improvement of sanitation, education, parks, and memorials. The new program will provide a number of recreational parks and memorials commemorating Argentine involvement in the Pacific War, Great War, and other conflicts. Most are in favor of the fund, as the government begins work on its next great project and endeavor.

CHILE COMPLETES FORT REVAMP. Santiago, Chile. The Chilean government completed the modernization of a number of fortifications along the Argentine and Peruvian borders this year. Though the current Chilean government has been substantially more friendly towards its neighbors than the Cruz one was, the heavy moralist majority in Congress has forced the continuation of some old policies. The primary one of these is the building of the new fortifications and entrenchments, helping to support border security in the case of an invasion from the east or north. Due to the unique geographical shape of Chile, the nation is constantly under threat of being cut off, and has to rely extensively among forces along the border. President Michael Viana has stated that in a world of changing allegiances, Chile must be prepared for war, while seeking peace with its neighbors.

HISPANIOLA CUTS MAJOR ARMS DEAL WITH BRAZIL. Santo Domingo, Hispaniola. The military status of Hispaniola has been a troubled one since gaining independence from the United States of America. It has predominantly relied upon the military support and protection of Brazil, as well as the larger Pan-American Democratic Accord. After the withdrawal from the Accord, the government of Hispaniola has realized that there has been much need for modernization. This year a new agreement was signed purchasing a large number of modern warships and planes from the Empire of Brazil. The deal has included the sale of jet aircraft, among a number of modern naval vessels, consisting of both destroyers and light cruisers, with the most modern naval equipment. The new warships and planes are slated to be the cornerstone of any defense of Hispaniola against invasion, and have been marked as a core policy of the current regime.

IMPEACHMENT BEGINS IN URUGUAY. Montevideo, Uruguay. An impeachment trial has been launched in Uruguay as the Moralist Party has sought to unseat the reigning President, Philip Duval. They have stated that the policies and ideals of President Duval are contrary to the will and guidance of the Uruguayan people. Congressmen have sought the removal of the president and the holding of immediate and new elections to determine a successor. These proceedings have brought Uruguay's government to a halt as President Duval has undertaken every legal mean to delay and forestall the decision, as he wages a propaganda war in the papers. The legislature itself has been divided on the matter, with even some Moralist Party members feeling that the impeachment may be a step too far. The final judgment will be made by Uruguay Supreme Court, and is slated to take place in late January, 1937.

News from Africa and the Middle East​

PROTESTS MARK PROCLAMATION OF RULE IN MALI. Bamako, Mali. The people of Mali have only had a single year of true independence since gaining freedom from the remnants of the Scandinavian Empire in Kongo. The leader of the rebel movement, ModiboTraore has been a famed leader and is quite beloved by his troops, but has had the dubious notoriety of being a Protestant Christian himself, much like the former Scandinavian occupiers. Seeking to legitimize his rule and establish authority over the nation, Traore has proclaimed himself King of the Mali People and Nation. The new King of Mali has granted himself and his supporters absolute authority over the new nation and its people, centralizing the affairs of state in his headquarters of Bamako. The news was not well met by the Islamic population of Mali, who immediately rallied in protest, but the response was swift and brutal. The king ordered his loyal forces to fire upon the crowd, killing dozens and sending the rest fleeing. The result has been growing resentment and unrest, threatening the foundation of the young kingdom. (-1 Stability)

REPUBLICAN REFORM IN ABYSSINIA. Addis Ababa, Abyssinia. After the successful 1935 coup which installed him as leader of Abyssinia, General KifleBulti has promised to secure the establishment of a true republic. An idealist, he has been well known as a competent military leader and has led the movement to liberate imprisoned republicans and establish a freely elected democracy. The constitution was announced this year, as one loosely modeled on the Brazilian elective system, minus the existence of a king. Elections were immediately held this year, as Bulti led the formation of a new Social Liberal Party to push forward his own ideology. Unfortunately, he had a hard fought election, as numerous other political parties have emerged causing severe problems in forming a government. The results of the elections were highly divided and the Social Liberal Party did gain the most seats, but not a majority. They have been forced to establish coalitions with other groups, but resistance has been harsh, and Bulti has been appointed as the new First Minister, as very few can agree on any other possible candidate. (-1 Stability)

ELECTIONS IN HOLLANDIA. Mombasa, Hollandia. The government of Hollandia has preserved the same government for multiple terms at this point, and the trend has not yet subsided. The Stadtsholder, Falk van Aarle, and his Nationalist Party have continued to campaign upon fears of a black uprising or other attacks against the state. He has promised to maintain harsh military control over the black population and to preserve the existing social order. With the majority of the voting population behind him, the Nationalist Party has managed another victory in the elections, diminishing any opposition to a slim few seats in the legislature. Stadtsholder van Aarle continues to be popular among the white population, but he has announced that due to his advanced age and the stresses of the position, he will not run for another term in the 1940 elections.

ANTI-SPANISH RIOTS IN MOROCCO. Tangiers, Spain. Morocco has been the longest occupied and most pampered of Spanish colonial possessions over the centuries, but it seems that even here, the Spanish Empire’s welcome is wearing thin. In recent years a nonviolent movement emerged attempting to force the Spanish to liberate the nation through civil disobedience. Unfortunately, these attempts have not allowed the movement to progress, and there has been increased agitation from other sources. This year, one of the Islamic clerics behind the nonviolent movement was arrested by local authorities, spurring an extreme backlash from the public. The jail where the cleric was imprisoned was placed under siege by an unruly mob, attempting to storm the prison and force the release of their leader. Dozens of local police were injured in the attack, and military forces were eventually called in, but a standoff took place, as the local commander was not prepared to order a massacre. Eventually the situation was defused by the cleric himself, who called upon his fellows to return home, and allow events to continue their course. The Spanish authorities have since transferred the cleric to a more secure facility, but continue to face constant harassment and calls for the holy man’s release.

ETHNIC CLASHES IN BENIN. Lokoja, Benin. The government of Benin has grown increasingly concerned about a number of clashes between various tribes in the southern part of the nation. This area, which was the most affected by European missionaries and different religions, has begun to fracture upon both these new religious ties as well as old ethnic ones. The clashes have been so far minor in nature, and not completely of an armed element, consisting mostly of lower key malevolent acts. Among these are actions such as theft of livestock and other property and other actions indicative of ongoing feuds. While there have been some reports of deaths at the hands of angry families and other such attacks, these remain unconfirmed by any official source. Observers state that it is unlikely that these pose any immediate problem, but some concerns have been expressed for ramifications of the nation’s long term stability.

PROTESTS TURN BLOODY IN CHAD. Abeche, Chad. The current government of Chad under the Foundation Party and Prime Minister AdoumDadnadji has come under extensive criticism for its continuous allowance of the return of Spanish and other foreign businesses. The arrival of businesses even from the former Confederation and Brazil have begun to deteriorate public confidence in the standing regime. The liberal opposition organized a protest this year against what they have called the return of imperialism, claiming that the conservatives have sold the nation out. The protest began peacefully enough, but the government, fearing a revolt, sent in the army, and the result was a massacre. Hundreds of civilians were left dead in the streets by a brutal military response, and the ensuing mess was politically catastrophic for the Dadnadji regime. This has definitively reduced national confidence in the republican government and given rise to more radical movements. (-1 Stability)

IRANIAN SECRET POLICE SCORE VICTORY. Baghdad, Iran. The recent growth of unrest within the Mesopotamian provinces of Iran have been a cause for concern among local powers, both imperial and native. The Iranians have found the rebels to be resourceful and increasingly well armed in their fight for freedom from Iran. The government has escalated the amount of forces and resources dedicated to the suppression of these groups, but until this year, the efforts have been for naught. A number of raids and attempts gone wrong by the rebels to disrupt Iran’s local management have led to the capture and execution of several key leaders of the rebel movement. While the rebel cause has yet to be completely stopped, it has been dealt a severe setback with this disaster. The government of Iran has proclaimed this to be a true victory against those who would seek to dismantle the true ruler of Mesopotamia. (+1 Stability)

VIOLENCE AMONG KAZAKH WARRIORS. Kyzyl-Su, Kazakhstan. The troubled Asian nation of Kazakhstan has faced new problems this year as tribal elements within the military have begun feuding. This has not consisted of the typical bureaucratic jockeying for power which exist in any organization, but rather outright conflict. After being expelled to the region by the Persians, the Kazakhs have struggled to retain a unified front against their old oppressors. Unfortunately tribal feuds and vendettas have once more come to the fore, as the nation has faced infighting among its armed forces. The result has been a number of bloody battles throughout the countryside, as generals use their forces to raid their rival villages and outposts. The king of the Kazakhs has attempted to crack down on this behavior, leading raids upon the most belligerent of his generals and making the effort to establish some sort of unity. The effort has been somewhat successful, but has sown some seeds of discontent among some within the military. (-4 Infantry Brigades)

BACKLASH AGAINST POLICIES IN LIBYA. Tripoli, Libya. Recent policies instituted by the mostly religious government in Libya have at last begun to wear out their welcome among elements of the clergy. Grand Imam BulusAjam’s efforts to bring more women into productive jobs that would enrich the nation as a whole have concerned those more interested in a traditional interpretation of religion. This has spurred dissent within Ajam’s own ranks of supporters, but none have advocating a change in regime just yet. Instead, some have been suggesting that Ajam should step down in favor of a more traditional Imam, but he has refused on every attempt. Thankfully for the stability of the country, it seems as though those opposed to the changes are not quite willing to make their dissent overtly public to the whole nation, but will continue to attempt to peacefully change the mind of the Grand Imam.

COUP TOPPLES GOVERNMENT IN MOZAMBIQUE. Mozambique, Mozambique. Over the past few years, the government of Chancellor RashedLöfgren and the Liberal Party in Mozambique have faced a rising tide of dissent and instability. Though mostly they have blamed this phenomenon on proletarist dissidents, they have also accused Kongo and other regimes of funding pro-imperial movements. Regardless of the cause, the instability has been a growing concern of the military in Mozambique, which has been backed by international business interests. Early this year, several severe riots in Mozambique proved to be the final straw for military leadership in the young nation. Later in the year, military forces led by General Johan Dhalakama made a move against the republican government, mustering their forces to take the capital. What was supposed to be a fairly subdued takeover turned bloody as the Löfgren regime and its supporters managed to turn out for a considerable fight. The battle for the capital raged for several months before the army of Dhalakama eventually overwhelmed and destroyed the loyalist forces. Martial law was quickly declared, and the general has stated that any crime will be punished with the maximum penalty until order is restored. (-3 Manpower, -2 Infantry Brigades, +1 Stability)

COUP FAILS IN MUTAPA. Harare, Mutapa. Any chaotic region will always have its own fair share of warlords and ambitious men, and the young kingdom of Mutapa has been no exception to this rule. The outbreak of a new war to the northwest and the tenuous situation of the country’s independence from Britain has led to a breeding ground for those seeking power of their own. Therefore, elements of the military led by an aggressive young general attempted to seize power from the monarchy this year in the name of deposing a British backed regime. Unfortunately, the government caught wind of the plot early in the effort, and managed to assemble considerable loyalist forces in Harare to oppose the rebel general’s advance. The coup began and immediately marched into a massacre, as loyalist forces opened fire and sprung a well executed ambush. The rebel leader was killed in the fighting and not long after most of his forces surrendered. The crushing of the coup has led to further stabilization of the monarchy’s authority, as another threat to the crown has been defeated. (-1 Infantry Brigade, +1 Stability)

CHOKWE INVADE BURUNDI. Luau, Chokweland.After their recent defeat of the Ovambo in a brutal war to end the proletarist regime there, the Chokwe have turned upon their closest region ally, Burundi. Having spared Burundi from destruction during a war with Zambia, Chokweland has claimed that Burundi has repaid this kindness by continuing raids into Chokwe territory. In response, they have declared war and launched a full scale invasion along the border, using planes in full support of their advancing forces. Burundi, outgunned and outnumbered, still managed to put up a considerable fight, dealing far more damage than would have been expected in their situation. The vicious battles cost the Chokwe a heavy toll, essentially causing them to lose over half of their army in the fighting from mounting casualties. Despite some successes, Burundi was doomed, as no help was forthcoming from any of the nation’s neighbors. Burundi has been officially annexed, and NegaoJassohas proclaimed all former residents of the nation to now be citizens of Chokweland. There has been no word on the fate of ImamuBapela and it is believed that he may have gone into hiding with the remnants of his organized military forces.
Casualty Lists
Burundi: 5 Conscript Brigades, 2 Infantry Brigades, 1 Artillery Brigade
Chokweland: 8 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 1 Artillery Brigade (+1 Army Quality)

SPAIN OPENS NEGOTIATIONS WITH REBEL LEADERS. Bouar, Spain. With rebel dissent rising throughout the interior of Spanish Central Africa, local governors have begun negotiations with the leaders of the independence movements. They have offered low level positions and even leading positions for the rebel leaders, but these have been immediately rebuffed. Nonetheless negotiations have continued as the rebels have claimed that they are looking for a peaceful solution to the problem without further warfare against Spain. After months of discussion amongst themselves, the meeting was brought to an end as those involved presented their proposal to the Madrid and the people of Spain. The proposal has called for something similar to the Dominion arrangement the British possess, except to be created for the interior Spanish Central Africa. Proponents of the agreement have claimed that such a move will continue to protect the rights and positions of Spanish business in Africa, while at the same time presenting the locals with the ability to rule themselves. Opponents of the proposed treaty claim that the Spanish should not negotiate with such heathens and that the territory must be retained for the Spanish Empire. The debates are still underway, and it has seemed unlikely that a final decision will be made next year, though politicians are optimistic that some finalized agreement or stance will be accepted in 1937.

GERMANS LAUNCH ARAB NEGOTIATIONS. Damascus, Germany. The recent spike in more Arabic activity in German Arabia has been met with cautious negotiations on behalf of the German government. The Arabs have claimed that all they request at the moment was the fulfillment of the promises made by German authorities when the Arabian Empire was brought low. They have stated that German military forces had promised to establish autonomous states, rather than ruling directly as they and the British have. These promises have not been met, and the Arab independence leaders have called attention to that in the latest negotiations. They have called for the creation of autonomous states as Germany itself had promised, and the end of direct imperial rule from Munich. On the other side of this, growing pressure exists for Germany to retain control of the territory, as mounting tensions with Russia have raised the demand for the resources and wealth the colony produces.

NEW ISLAMIC ALLIANCE CREATED. Konya, Turkey. Recent local wars in Africa and growing tensions in Europe have caused some concern among the newly independent states of the Middle East and North Africa. Due to threats of a new wave of imperialism or attacks from ambitious Europeans, a conference was led by Turkey to establish a stronger defensive agreement among Islamic states. The new agreement has created a cooperative defensive pact between participating nations, meaning that if one is attacked, the others would come to its aid. This has supplanted a previous agreement which led to the collaborate war to liberate Tunisia from Sardinia, and Sudan has declined to participate in the new one. Among those participating in the Mediterranean Islamic Pact are Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia, and Libya.

SANITATION PROJECT COMPLETE IN SOUTH AFRICA. Cape Town, South Africa. The pride of the Mitchell government in South Africa over the past few years has been the dedication to the improvement of the day to day life of the people. To this end, the two stage project, one improving infrastructure, and one improving sanitation, has begun to near its conclusion. This year, the final sewers and sanitation plants were completed by South African construction crews, providing ample sewage facilities throughout the main cities of the nation. The effort has been focused upon providing running water and sanitary waste disposal for the people of South Africa, reducing the chance of epidemics and disease in general. The program has been disruptive, but still popular, creating jobs and overall improving local lifestyle. The completion of the project has been a major political and economic win for President Mitchell and the Labour Party of South Africa.

ANGOLAN CIVIL WAR BROUGHT TO AN END. Namibe, Angola. The brutal civil war in Angola has been brought to an end after two years of warfare, and a final victory has been won. The fighting had been fairly inconclusive at the end of the last year, but efforts by both parties were directly at a swift end to the conflict. The armies of General Gallego began with an attack of their own, but it proved to be disjointed and badly conducted, running into ambushes and eventually being routed. The rebel forces managed to take advantage of this disorder, and turned a retreat into utter collapse, taking Namibe and pursuing the government forces into the southern portion of the nation. The Martinez Faction has come to a complete success and victory over the tyrannical regime of General Gallego, capturing him during a battle late in the year. The general has been imprisoned, to be held on trial some time in 1937. The rebel forces have maintained martial law, but General Anahi Simbron has pledged that the tyrannical ways are over and reform will be brought in throughout the next year. The victory can also be attributed in a small way to the participation of an Argentine naval expeditionary force, which blockaded government forces from receiving supplies overseas, and prevented Gallego's escape on a fishing boat.
Casualty Lists
Angola (Gallego Faction): 6 Conscript Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 1 Sim27 Fighter Squadron
Angola (Martinez Faction): 3 Conscript Brigades (+1 Army Quality, +1 Air Force Quality)

News from the Far East​

FIRST AUSTRALIAN ELECTIONS HELD. Sydney, Australia. The Australian Parliament opened up for elections for the first time this year as the people of the newest British Dominion turned out to determine their new government. The elections were a fairly cordial affair, and all involved parties managed to refrain from dirty tactics and manipulation of results. The nation’s political parties have been modeled after those of their mother nation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. The priorities of the people seem quite different, and are apparently leaning in a more leftist direction. While the Labour Party has received some support, it has suffered from an inability to rally behind any charismatic force or proper leadership. On the other hand, the social proletarist Social Democratic Party has managed to achieve considerable success, pledging the extension of social welfare policies and the development of a strong, self-sufficient Australia. These have won over the electorate, granting the Social Democrats a majority with a coalition with Labour. The Social Democrat James Clay has been appointed the first prime minister of the Dominion of Australia. (+1 Stability)

HAWAIIAN ELECTIONS HELD. Honolulu, Hawaii. The Hawaiian elections for both Congress and the Presidency were held this year, as President Kaede Williams ran for reelection while representing the liberal Free Hawaii Party. The primary issue of concern was the falling numbers of tourist contributions and the overall faltering economy over the course of the year. Unemployment has been rising and many accuse the Free Hawaii Party of being unable or unwilling to make the changes needed to restore prosperity. President Williams has stated instead that it is due to the Free Hawaiians that the economy has not started failing sooner, due to the overall global recession. Unfortunately, this has not been enough for the voters, who still attribute blame for the current circumstances on the party in charge. Therefore, when the votes were counted, the Free Hawaii Party has lost both the majority and control of the president to the conservative Party of the Republic. The conservatives, led by the new President Michael Gee, have advocated a new economic order, establishing closer relationships with the American states, rather than maintaining those with Japan. They have argued that the current destructive wars on mainland of Asia are representative of a failing empire, and that Hawaii must chart a new course of its own.

ELECTIONS IN NEW ZEALAND. Akarana, New Zealand. Elections in New Zealand have once more been a fairly temperate affair, as the reigning Party of Rocha has managed to preserve its majority. The political party which has ruled the New Zealander nation since the establishment of its latest constitution has continued to dominate. They have lauded themselves for the continuation of prosperity, even while the rest of the world languished in a recession. Furthermore, they have shown themselves to be peaceful and provide new jobs, with the construction of a new port on the southern island. Though some have criticized their policies towards the native Maori population, the opposition still finds it difficult to get their voice heard amid the state controlled media.

FEAR BUILDS LOYALTY IN BRITISH INDOCHINA. Rangoon, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. The ongoing wars in China and Inida have had ramifications throughout the rest of the Far East as well as in Britain and Guangxi. The British colony of Indochina, sitting upon the border of both China and India, has begun to fear the results of the growing instability along their frontiers. Recent successes by the Red Army and the late achievements and support for the Federalists in India seem to indicate a situation where Indochina could become surrounded by hostile forces. Many doomsayers have begun to emerge locally politically, claiming that the British rule in Indochina is threatened and that at any moment the foreign hordes could be ramming down the gates. While some would have thought this would only worsen the stability of the region, it seems that the British imperial subjects have grown closer together, working all the harder to preserve their security against outside threats. The gem of the British Empire remains united and prepared for any threats against it, despite the rise of these new rabble rousers. (+1 Stability in Indochina)

RED ARMY ATTEMPTS COUP IN GUANGXI. Xinjing, Guangxi. In what was a brilliant ploy by the Red Army to achieve a victory on their southern front, the rebellious group have played their final cards against Guangxi. Having long had support for their cause among the highest levels of Guangxi’s military corps, through the use of both this loyalty and blackmail, the Red Army spurred an attempt to topple the British backed government. After the plotting generals expended a good deal of known loyal regiments in futile attacks upon Red Army positions, they managed to get their own forces in place around Xinjing. The coup itself was executed flawlessly, catching all elements of the government by surprise and quickly cutting off communication with the rest of the nation. British guards detachments were overrun and Prime Minister Nathaniel Xilai and most of Parliament were captured. The Royal Guard of King John II has been consistent of the most loyal soldiers since the Fireworks Massacre, and in a vicious battle through the Royal Palace, they bought time for the Royal Family to escape the clutches of the Red Army. The Red Army had gained control of the city, but what followed was chaos throughout the nation. The military leadership in command of Xinjing ordered the army to stand down, and declared their support for the Red Army’s cause. While some units did just that, surrendering their positions to the Red Army, a goodly number were rallied by both the British and leaders loyal to the deposed regime. As the front lines fell into chaos amid Red Army attacks as discussed below, the British and their supporters immediately marched upon Guangxi amid a wave of sabotage and constant fighting with renegade military units commanded by the Red Army. Reinforcements for both sides moved towards the city to support their chosen leader of Guangxi, while some regiments simply deserted as the chain of command became compromised. Led by the British themselves, royalist forces assaulted the Red Army’s positions around the city in a bloody slogging match, coming to an end late in the year. When the smoke had cleared, Guangxi’s forces were badly mauled as was the British expedition sent to support them. The Guangxi Red Army was in even poorer shape, having used up their highest placed agents in Guangxi to launch this initiative. To the amazement of all concerned, Nathaniel Xilai and a good amount of Parliament actually survived the uprising.Though some low level fighting has continued in the countryside during the remainder of the year as other rogue regiments have been mopped up by the British, as of the new year, order has been restored and a grave internal threat to Guangxi has been dispersed.
Casualty Lists
Guangxi: 203 Conscript Brigades, 14 Infantry Brigades, 5 Cavalry Brigades, 9 Artillery Brigades, 1 P-27 Fighter Squadron (+2 Stability)
United Kingdom of Great Britain Ireland: 27 Infantry Brigades, 14 Artillery Brigades, 1 P-27 Fighter Squadron (+1 Army Quality)

TRIBAL FORCES LAUNCH RAID IN BORNEO. Balikpapan, Japan. While the Japanese continue to fight hard to maintain their control over their mainland Asiatic territories, they have faced new dissent in other territories abroad. The East Indies for example has begun to resent the greater presence that the Japanese present in comparison to the islands’ former Dutch overlords. The Japanese have been after the exploitation of far more resources and have disrupted life more than their predecessors. The result has been the growth of an interior resistance movement which has begun to rally a number of remote tribes and groups to their cause. The attacks they have been making have been highly effective, razing Japanese outposts and raiding their arsenals scattered throughout the island. Unfortunately, as successful as they have been, the raiders have not rallied much more support for their cause, as the Japanese controlled media has prevented word of their attacks from encouraging other similar activities. Still, Japanese military losses are mounting and the rebellion has appeared to grow better armed with each passing day. (-1 Infantry Brigade)

FILIPINOS BEGIN GUERILLA WAR. Manila, Japan. The rebellion in both the East Indies and in mainland China has taxed the Japanese army considerably, which has grown stretched throughout the larger empire. Nowhere is that more apparent than in the Philippines, where the garrisons are bare minimum in any given city and scattered throughout innumerable islands. The Japanese have struggled to maintain the barest presence in some regions, and it has been clear that what little they have is not enough. This year, rebel forces in the Philippines launched a number of highly successful attacks, and have even declared the de facto liberation of several islands. The Japanese continue to control the seas, however, and the liberation exists really only in isolated villages and towns away from Japanese gunboats and garrisons. The Japanese have nonetheless been experiencing heavy casualties throughout the islands and are finding it more and more difficult to maintain a managing presence throughout the entire Philippines. (-3 Infantry Brigades, -1 Artillery Brigade)

THE FIREWORKS WAR AND THE RED ARMY REBELLION. Peking, Japan. Another bloody year has passed in China, as the Red Army continues to fight hard against Japanese and British forces for independence. The year began as the nation of Guangxi launched a series of piecemeal and easily repulsed attacks, due to treason within and early warning received by the Red Army. Not long after this would-be offensive was rebuffed, began the debacle of a military coup, as discussed in depth above. The chaos inflicted by this failed coup created glaring gaps in the front lines, and quickly hung out British and Dominion forces to dry as they dealt with the confusion which emerged. Though the coup eventually failed, the Red Army launched a major counteroffensive, using a doctrine of nighttime attacks which took frontline units by surprise. The Red Army successfully pushed the Dominion’s forces back to the Yangtze, reclaiming the territory lost in the previous year’s campaign. Unfortunately, the Dominion did rally after dealing with the chaos in their own territories, and led by British forces, managed to stabilize the lines along the river, even while facing a near civil war within their own territory. Meanwhile, in the north, the Japanese sought to take the pressure off the British and began their own major offensive against the Red Army. Sabotage has begun to lessen, and Japanese authorities claim that they have made strong progress on wiping out Red Army cells in Manchuria and elsewhere behind the lines. The evidence seems to support that as the Japanese have advanced, despite determined efforts by the Red Army to hold every hamlet and position they claimed. The fighting was brutal and without mercy, especially in the fight for Peking, into which Japan threw its full might. With overwhelming manpower and forces, the Japanese have pushed further into the Red Army’s territory, but a snail’s pace, as the Red Army doggedly holds onto each yard of territory under their control, relinquishing control only after they’ve done as much damage as possible.
Casualty Lists
Guangxi: 121 Conscript Brigades, 5 Artillery Brigades
Japan: 132 Conscript Brigades, 5 Infantry Brigades, 6 Artillery Brigades, 1 C-1293 Fighter Squadron (+1 Army Quality, +1 Air Force Quality)
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland: 8 Infantry Brigades, 2 Artillery Brigades
Red Army of China: 173 Conscript Brigades, 18 Infantry Brigades, 1 Equality-type Armored Brigade, 23 Artillery Brigades, 1 Tridente-class Submarine, 1 RM-24 Fighter Squadron (+1 Army Quality, +1 Navy Quality, +1 Air Force Quality)

THE INDIAN CIVIL WAR. Bombay, India. The war between the Federalists and Regionalists in India has taken a new turn this year, as the attention of the fighting has been fixated on the Regionalist drive upon Bombay. Led by well-trained forces from Kalinga, the Regionalists have focused their efforts on depriving the Federalists of the center of their political and economic power. The Federalists in turn threw everything they had into the desperate defense of the city, and slowed the advance to a crawl, despite some territorial losses in the north as they stripped that area’s defenses to win the fight in the south. The tide truly began to shift in the summer, as the Indians received new aid from Russia, including the feared T-20 tank and numerous older aircraft. With these new weapons in tow, the Federalists managed to overwhelm Kalingese air power, and throw back the advancing forces. Behind their armored shield, the Federalists pushed the Regionalists back on both fronts, reclaiming some lost ground, but at heavy costs. The fighting continued throughout the year, with the Regionalists on the defensive, though eventually, as casualties mounted, the Federalists were slowed and stopped by mid-November.
Casualty Lists
India (Federalist): 77 Conscript Brigades, 12 Infantry Brigades, 1 T-20 Armored Brigade, 4 Artillery Brigades, 1 RM-24 Fighter Squadron (+1 Army Quality, +1 Air Force Quality)
India (Regionalist): 80 Conscript Brigades, 10 Infantry Brigades, 2 Cavalry Brigades, 2 Artillery Brigades (+1 Army Quality)
Kalinga: 18 Conscript Brigades, 6 Infantry Brigades, 3 Cavalry Brigades, 7 Artillery Brigades, 1 Sim27 Fighter Squadron (+1 Army Quality, +1 Air Force Quality)

THE KOREAN RED ARMY REBELLION. Seoul, Japan. When most people think of the Red Army Rebellion, they immediately associate it with the ongoing uprising in China. To those more aware of current affairs, it also reminds them of the ongoing war in Korea which is proportionately just as bloody. The focus of this war has been almost entirely upon the siege of Seoul, where the remnants of the Japanese garrison were trapped last year. Both sides have been rushing troops to the siege lines around the city, and the fighting has been harsh as the Koreans have attempted to storm the Japanese positions multiple times. Thanks to Japanese air and naval power, the perimeter has held, and the Japanese have been able to reinforce more quickly and in great mass. They responded by pushing slowly out of Seoul, and the Koreans have fought from heavily entrenched positions to prevent such gains. The Japanese have advanced, albeit with heavy casualties, solely due to their possession of tanks and planes, while the Koreans have none. The Koreans have had more luck pushing north, threatening Manchuria, but the local garrison stopped them before they could push too deep into the interior. The tide does seem to have shifted to the Japanese, but the going has been slow and the Koreans have fought to defend their lands with great tenacity.
Casualty Lists
Japan: 39 Conscript Brigades, 1 Type-92 Armored Brigade, 2 Artillery Brigades
Korea: 54 Conscript Brigades, 6 Artillery Brigades (+1 Army Quality)

CHINA ANNOUNCES NEW BIRTH POLICY. Lanzhou, China. The bloodshed of the Fireworks War with Guangxi has had lasting ramifications for the people and soldiers of the government of China. The heavy losses have led to a shortage of young Chinese men, and the demographics have been heavily shifted just by the fighting and losses. The government has therefore begun looking for a solution and has found it through the magical means of sex and bribery. Laws have been passed by Marshal Yehao Ma to provide funds and financial support for families with more children. They have encouraged more births and immigration to the greatest extent possible, promising direct funds and limited long-term support for anyone who gives birth to a son. While there is some concern about the social consequences of the program, it has been deemed a necessity for China, after the heavy losses of the Fireworks War and concerns about another rematch with the British or Japanese.

Financial Section​

ITALY ENDS BRAZIL EMBARGO. Naples, Italy. The controversial embargo against Brazil that had been spearheaded by Germany continues to remain in effect in only a few European nations. While most abandoned the embargo over the past two years, the Italians have continued to maintain it, if only in name. This year, the embargo was officially brought to an end, and Italy has once more begun to welcome the restoration of Brazilian imports and commerce. The Italians have opened another large market to Brazil, but most believe that the other companies that have begun doing business are too firmly entrenched to be driven out by Brazilian corporations. The Italian withdrawal from the embargo now marks only Russia, the Roman Empire, and Germany remaining as members of the pact, as well as most of Eastern Europe. As one of the few remaining amicable agreements between Russia and Germany, a number of political observers believe that the recent rising tensions between those two powers could result in a total failure of the embargo within the next few years.

FINANCIAL FLUCTUATION REPORT. Novgorod, Russia.
Spoiler :

Argentina: +3 EP
Australia: +2 EP
Benin: +1 EP
Brazil: +5 EP
Brittany: -1 EP
Bulgaria: -2 EP
Burgundy: +1 EP
Catalonia: -1 EP
Chile: -1 EP
China: +1 EP
Colombia: -1 EP
Croatia: -1 EP
Czech Kingdom: -2 EP
Dauphine: -1 EP
Denmark: +1 EP
Egypt: +1 EP
Flanders: +1 EP
Florida: +2 EP
Galicia: -1 EP
Germany: -2 EP
Hashemite Sultanate: -1 EP
Hispaniola: -1 EP
Honduras: -1 EP
Hungary: +1 EP
Iran: -1 EP
Italy: -2 EP
Jacksonia: +1 EP
Japan: +1 EP
-East Indies: -2 EP
-Philippines: -5 EP
Kalinga: +1 EP
Mayaland: +1 EP
Mozambique: -1 EP
Netherlands: -1 EP
Normandy: +1 EP
Paraguay: -1 EP
Peru: +2 EP
Poitou: -2 EP
Portugal: +1 EP
Roman Empire: +2 EP
Romania: +1 EP
Russia: +2 EP
Sardinia: -2 EP
Scandinavia: -2 EP
Serbia: -2 EP
South Africa: +2 EP
Spain: -1 EP
-Spanish North Africa: +3 EP
Switzerland: -1 EP
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland: -3 EP
-Dumyat: +5 EP
-Indochina: +5 EP
United States of America: -3 EP
Uruguay: -1 EP
Vinland: +1 EP
Zambia: -1 EP

The Sports Page​

1936 OLYMPIC GAMES. Tenochtitlan, Aztlan. The eyes of the sporting world turned this year to the former capital of the Aztec people, the city of Tenochtitlan. A growing economic and commercial hub, the city has proven to be a well chosen location for the new games. The Aztec athletes themselves demonstrated the prowess and skills of their people quite ably, acquiring a decent number of medals. The biggest development in the Games as a whole has been the inclusion of varukorgboll as a sporting event, and proved to be the most highly anticipated of the games. Similarly, these have been the first Olympic Games to be completely recorded by cameras, as Argentine filming companies have pledged to make the films available to wider markets. The film reels themselves have had a popularity all of their own, and it seems likely that the 1940 Olympic Games will receive similar treatment. All participating athletes were commended for their skills and abilities, and the games were widely considered one of the finer ones to have taken place in the event’s young history.

BALOMPIE WORLD CUP. Seville, Spain. As scheduled, a number of teams from nations across the world have descended upon Spain to participate in the Balompie World Cup. These restored competitions have sought to determine the best national team at one of the oldest sports popular globally. This year, despite rigorous competition and harsh weather conditions, the two teams which emerged to the final match were from Portugal and Spain. The two Iberian teams were matched against each other and proved able and willing to play a strong and highly entertaining game. The Portuguese started well, but eventually, the odds and numbers began to tilt in favor of the Spanish, who emerged triumphant. Unfortunately the World Cup was highly overshadowed by the 1936 Olympic Games, and the balompie events there were far more popular among the sport’s enthusiasts.

The Cultural Center​

Makassar
Produced in Rosario like most great films, Makassar is a story about an Argentine sailor during training and his service leading up to the Battle of Makassar during the Pacific War. The film has been well received throughout South America, though has had problems finding a global audience. It has been most noted for being the first film to be granted access to actual military equipment, as the Argentine Navy provided full support. They have allowed the filming to take place upon actual naval vessels, which used military planes and equipment to provide better effects. The film on this merit alone has made it highly successful, as one of the most acclaimed military based pictures in recent Rosario history.

Moses
One of the first films put into production after the new Argentine film rating system was passed, this film appeals to both modern artistic and traditional values. Starring some of the finest actors of the Argentine film industry, this epic film chronicles the life of Moses, the famous Hebrew prophet. Possessing some of the finest special effects yet seen on the silver screen, and including a dramatic soundtrack of traditional, classical, and modern music, the film has been an enormous hit almost everywhere. It has been especially huge in Brazil and Spain, reaching audiences of all demographics, and making more money total internationally than the next five films combined. Many are pointing to Moses as the penultimate film of this age of movie making and cinematography.

Random Stat Changes and Fluctuations and Minor Technological Advances

Brazil designs theGaláctica-class Fleet Carrier.

Turkey upgrades the Equality-type Medium Tank design into the T.35M KalkanHeavy Tank.

Italy designs the Cacciatore-class Light Cruiser.

Argentina designs the AndAer JF-1936 Fighter.

Korean soldiers demonstrate exceptional adaptability and skill in battle: +1 Army Quality for Korea.

Galician sailors excel in naval drills: +1 Navy Quality for Galicia.

Danish soldiers successfully lose fifteen pounds on their diet: +1 Army Quality for Denmark.

Pilots in Hispaniola demonstrate great skill in air drills: +1 Air Force Quality in Hispaniola.

There ain’tnoparty like a Rio party: +1 Stability in Brazil.

Colombian people accept new player for their nation with minimal chagrin and light mourning for the people of Catalonia: +1 Stability for Colombia.

Only the strong have survived in years of war in the Costa Rican army: +1 Army Quality.

Diplomatic Pouch

To: Chokweland

We are quite concerned at your recent aggressive actions. Further untoward expansion and aggression towards your neighbors will be met with an appropriate response from us, and our allies.

OOC

Per his request, qoou has been dropped from Colombia. Immaculate has assumed direct control immediately.

@Nailix: Because you did not provide a specified EP amount for the new policy, I have started you off with a contribution of 5 EP a year.

@Lokki242: Small arms, at this time, are not under the control of the player. Therefore I have banked the funds you dedicated to such a cause. Sorry.

@karikon, I just wanted to commend you for sticking with your projects for so long. I know it can be tedious to keep with such programs and not see any real results immediately. You have my commendation for just sticking it out as long as you have. +10 EQ Points for you.

Bombshoo has been dropped from Puerto Rico due to inactivity.

World Map

Spoiler :

It has been revealed that the first functioning radar was developed and deployed by Japan in 1929

Brazil was deploying massive RADAR defenses starting January 1, 1929. :p

Great update, EQ.

The Strawberry Treaty

The Bear Flag Republic of Jacksonia and the Shahdom of Iran agree to the following treaty

1. The Bear Flag Republic of Jacksonia agrees to lower the cost of food exports to the nation of Iran, and especially so for Strawberries.

2. The Shahdom of Iran agrees to lower the cost of selling oil to the Bear Flag Republic of Jacksonia

Signed Colin Coles, Secretary of State for the Bear Flag Republic of Jacksonia

The Strawberry Treaty

The Bear Flag Republic of Jacksonia and the Shahdom of Iran agree to the following treaty

1. The Bear Flag Republic of Jacksonia agrees to lower the cost of food exports to the nation of Iran, and especially so for Strawberries.

2. The Shahdom of Iran agrees to lower the cost of selling oil to the Bear Flag Republic of Jacksonia

Signed Colin Coles, Secretary of State for the Bear Flag Republic of Jacksonia
Signed High Shahanshah Abdul al-Din for the Shahdom of Iran
Signed Economic Minister Abdol Teymourtash for the Shahdom of Iran

To: Prime Minister Dadnadji of Chad

We applaud you for your great courage. Keep our interests safe and we will do the same for you.

Very good update EQ. I hope that with my guidance, Australia can do quite well on the homefront and expand.

Top Bottom