[Deity] Stairway to Heaven #3: Hatshepsut of Egypt (Pangaea)

No i mean barbs can start rushing as early turn ~37, and teching AH + mining + BW would take you well over 30 turns here. If you find no resources, and there is much land and many barbs..you would need warriors for defending. But you have no PH start, worker already takes 15 turns, then you improve corn first that gives no hammers as well..where's your prod for fog busters coming from?

All just if no horsies ofc..but that's why do not plan too far ahead, and remember these barb dates ;)

Ok so AH first then reconsider.

But what do you mean by "risky"? Do you mean that if no Horses around, going BW for hope of defense is a gamble because many turns have gone by and I still don't have the beginning of an economy because no Pottery?

I'm in full agreement with Fippy. I think risky here means you will absolutely get barb (c)rushed if you do not find Horses and delay Archery, unless you are fully crowded-in by lots of AI who spawn-bust for you.

Even finding Copper by luck in your culture makes no difference. You will be swamped before even starting to mine the Copper, let alone road it and finish an Axe, and get it to the action tiles. And, one axe is no guarantee. They can come two at a time...

I would say AH, see how many AI you meet by T6, see how the land pans out (maybe you are closely surrounded by water, which would have a similar effect to close neighbours), and you will know how it is.

Hmm is there a particular reason this start screams for Barb threat?

Will probably play a couple turns right now

Not really, especially if SiP since you dont have to worry about barbs coming from the south. Combined with the fact that its pang, I also dont see why you should worry about barbs atm.

However, Fippy's point combined with heavy floodplains presence may be an argument for AH into Pottery.
BW after AH would delay any commerce input, unless your 2nd can claim a commerce special.

:)

Well... I say so... don't trust me: I lost Thebes to barb archer! Like I do.

If you've got coast to south and east and you've a decent chance of getting blocked in fast then settling 1NW might give you a bit more space in your little corner of the map, maybe enough to squeeze in another city. Second city maybe somewhere south west as a blocker but its too early to say really.

Played 21 turns: from 4000 BC to 3160 BC (turn 21)

SIP and exploration, the land is good.

The action:

Spoiler :
4000 BC to 3480 BC (turns 0 to 13):​
SIP and start on a Worker:

Tech starts on AH (13 turns).

Exploration begins. We meet these dudes:
Spoiler :

Nice profile red cheeks

"Darn my moustache fell again! It must be here somewhere..."

Turn 11 and already harrassed by Mufasa and his dear friend Winnie the Pooh... :run:

AH is in and.....
Spoiler :

We got some stuff for riding :)

3480 BC to 3160 BC (turns 13 to 21):​
We got Horses in the BFC of a pretty obvious 2nd city so I calmly dismiss Archery.

Next techs: Mining > BW

Turn 15 my first Worker is out and off to the Corn:

We meet...
Spoiler :

...him again... :scan:

After the Corn, our Worker hops on to the Piggy hill:

Turn 21 our lonely Warrior encounters Persian borders (2nd city, first ring):

Opportunity for worker steal??? Perhaps!

So here's our situation:
Spoiler :
Land:​

Diplo:​

Religion:​
Turn 21 and still no Hinduism...

Wonders:​
Nothin' nada
City:​

Do I wait for the Pigs to be improved to grow to size 3 by starting on a Settler now? ie. build Settler for 3 turns (24 :hammers:), Pigs improved, then grow to size 3 in 3 turns and then finish off Settler.

I roughly calculated that I get the Settler out at turn 33 in both cases but the stall growth scenario is at least -3 :food:, -3 :commerce: (I think), :hammers: I'm not sure.

So no stalling lol (you probably think that was a stupid idea in the first place).

I'm pretty sure of my city 2 spot (2E of Cows) but I'm not certain for city 3 between spot A or B (this should be in the general direction of Joao so I think it's the way to go). Stone/Gold site looks cool :cool: I'm thinking Mids again :cool: (tried Mids + SPI in a recent game and it rocks!).

Also should I steal a freakin Persian Worker if I have the chance? Seeing that I'll soon have WCs it could be not such a bad idea...

Worker micro: what to do after improving Pigs? Even if I burn 2 turns getting there I think I should head for the Plains Hill to mine and be ready to go to City 2...

Mesdames et Messieurs, what do you think?

Attachments

• STH#3 pomthom BC-3160.CivBeyondSwordSave
    57.5 KB · Views: 45
However, Fippy's point combined with heavy floodplains presence may be an argument for AH into Pottery.
BW after AH would delay any commerce input, unless your 2nd can claim a commerce special.
Xpost BIC: Yes but Pottery before Mining..? Production is already going to be tough whereas commerce will be very easy mid-term. If I want to grab some land I need a Mine and Slavery asap no? A Granary too ceci dit...

EDIT: a Granary will be crucial but will be of much smaller use if I don't have Slavery so I still think going BW first is the right call

If you've got coast to south and east and you've a decent chance of getting blocked in fast then settling 1NW might give you a bit more space in your little corner of the map, maybe enough to squeeze in another city. Second city maybe somewhere south west as a blocker but its too early to say really.
1NW was interesting but I was losing 2 FPs (through shrewd squinting) which was a shame. But with Joao nearby grabing land is going to be a pita indeed...

You need at least 1 Warri at your horse site ASAP.
This can hurt you now and very bad if a barb city pops there.
Maybe the Worker moving to the PH will be enough? :(

Can a Barb city pop so close so soon?

Oh they sure can pop close and early on Deity ;)
Why you should keep your first unit close until you figured out good spots, unless you use him for fog busting 1 site you already want.

Oh they sure can pop close and early on Deity ;)
Why you should keep your first unit close until you figured out good spots, unless you use him for fog busting 1 site you already want.
In ~6 turns I should be able to sit that Worker up on that hill and after he'll be roading to the spot so some fog should be busted...

Nice map thanks for sharing. haven't played in a while and this looks good to get back into the game.

700 BC and I'm only worried about Ghandy and Darius teching away, but even if they do i don't think it's going to be a problem. Culture would be a little to easy, maybe i donate tons of rifles/Cavallary into them MGs later :lol:

actually I disagree with you about the land being good... it's as much lackluster as it can be (no amount of shiny will feed your people)...

another point that the city 2 the way you plan it is bad and will have no influence over barb rush when it comes

imo you need at least 2 warriors from capitol before starting settler, 1 for the horse spot and the other for the land around the river
your initial scout can then guard the entrance from the north west angle between river guard and persia city 2

dunno about the horse city... seeing the land, maybe it will be good idea to war chariot rush persia, but keep in mind you need to attack between t55 and t60 with around at least 6 war chariots (maybe more, not sure about numbers on deity here... can be even more needed)

for that you have to start count turns right now, since it's turn 21 and you have like 34 turns of preparation....

actually I disagree with you about the land being good... it's as much lackluster as it can be (no amount of shiny will feed your people)...

another point that the city 2 the way you plan it is bad and will have no influence over barb rush when it comes

imo you need at least 2 warriors from capitol before starting settler, 1 for the horse spot and the other for the land around the river
your initial scout can then guard the entrance from the north west angle between river guard and persia city 2

dunno about the horse city... seeing the land, maybe it will be good idea to war chariot rush persia, but keep in mind you need to attack between t55 and t60 with around at least 6 war chariots (maybe more, not sure about numbers on deity here... can be even more needed)

for that you have to start count turns right now, since it's turn 21 and you have like 34 turns of preparation....
A part from spot A food is not that bad..? And even spot A is alright because I have FPs. Didn't mention it but there's a backfill spot South with Sheep+Fish so that's good too. Maybe more seafood SE of capitole and probably more food NE of capitole.

That's ~5-7 good city spots, and I might catch some more a bit further away :dunno:

Why is City 2 so bad? It grabs the Horses but still remains close to capitole to work FP cottages and has "decent" tiles (Cows, FP to irrigate, PH, some riverside...). No fresh water however. If I wasn't CRE I definitely wouldn't consider it

About the Barb city that may spawn at the Horses, I should make my comment more clear.
Unless the Barb city spawns straight ON the Horses, you can always settle a city that will steal the Horses for yourself. You are Creative. So it's not that bad anyway.

I would settle the Horse city on the PH to get the sheep in along with the horse and for the +1 city tile.

Top Bottom