Civ 5: Civilizations/Leaders Wanted!

Italy
Capital: Rome (Florence if Rome is in the game)
Leader: Lorenzo de Medici

UA: Italian Reunification. All city-states that border Italy with at least five tiles yield culture and may be invaded without causing other city states to declare war on you. Allying with such city states produces more culture and they occasionally gift you great works, while conquering them grants you a Great Person of your choice and their name is changed to one from the Italian city list.
UB: Palazzo. Replaces bank. Trade routes made between cities with palazzos and mercantile city states produce the tradable glass luxury resource. All other trade routes produce +2:c5culture:. Has a maintenancd cost of one.
UU: Condotierre: Replaces knight. If purchased or gifted to you, the Condotierre starts with 15 extra experience and +2:c5strength:. If it's built it has reduced maintenance and pillages gold from tiles in addition to health.

There's not a massive amount of synergy in it, but I still like it. The UA is very unique, but I'd suggest that you don't make the city-state's name change when it is conquered. It seems to make slightly more sense historically, and I think that Milan would make a better capital than Florence. If you really want to, it could be Roma, but that may make translations a lot harder. I don't particularly like the Palazzo, because as a Bank replacement, it shouldn't have a maintenance cost. Also, athough the Glass Luxury is very interesting and unique, it's slightly too situational for my liking. All in all, good work!

After posting it, I realized that there's not a huge amount of synergy so I was going to rewrite it anyway. So, I'm going to change the Palazzo. I'm keeping the glass portion in, because although it is a little situational the Palazzo has other bonuses so that as a whole it's useful, and sometimes it's extra useful.

UB. Palazzo. Replaces castle. Trade routes made between cities with palazzos and mercantile city states produce the tradable glass luxury resource. Each luxury worked by the city or in a city that its connected to by a trade route produces +:c5culture:, which doubled if the luxury comes from a city-state. Costs 2 maintenance.

I thought that would tie culture and city-states back into Italy, because each palazzo could theoretically produce 2 culture from luxuries around the city, and 4 from city states. Considering not all cities have trade routes, this bonus would likely focus in certain cities, and the change from the bank to the castle replacement reinforces the idea that Italy does have a certain military edge to it. I will change the UA so that the switched city names is out. That was just an idea, but I had another idea for the UA. The capital is chosen randomly at the start of every game from a list of Florence, Roma, Milan, Turin, and Napoli. This further reflects the city-state nature of Italy. Do you think that with the new palazzo, Italy is a little more synergized?

Civilisation name: Shra (colour: red and black) - (((O)))

Shra is the romanisation of the reconstructed pronunciation of 楚, better known as the Kingdom of Chu during the Zhou dynasty. As the southernmost state in pre-Imperial China, it ruled over the vast, mountainous land of southern China and the Baiyue people that called it home. Located south of Yangtze River for the most part, well beyond the grip of the Middle Kingdom situated by the Yellow River, its Sinitic nobles soon adapted the culture of its subjects as Shra expanded further southward, eventually building itself up as a powerhouse that can challenge Zhou and its various successor states during the Spring-and-Autumn Period and the Warring States Period.

As a product of syncretism between the Sinic culture and the Baiyue culture, Shra enjoyed a fiery, innovative and romantic culture, as a sharp contrast to the rational and reserved Sinitic culture that would one day become the Chinese civilisation. Believing themselves to be descendants of the God of Fire and the Sun God, the Shra people decorated both their clothes and palaces after its fiery red colour, glorifying their ancestors and the spirits through fiery and lively dances and rituals. Such energetic mentality remained true in the administration of the kingdom as well, as the Shra people, despite hailing from the one and only "true" culture of China, embraced the culture of the conquered "barbarians" and adopted as they see fit, forging it together into a creation that was distinct from their ancestors.

Like burning blaze, the Shra people resisted fiercely against the invasion of various states, Chinese or otherwise. As a romantic people, their strong sentiment and dedication to the ancestors and the country they founded upon the then-inaccessible wilderness only strengthened their devotion to the cause, even long after the Kingdom of Chu had fallen to Qin, the dynasty that laid the foundation of the Chinese empire. However, as a Chu noble once said, "even with but three households, it will be Chu who defeats Qin". The promise finally delivered as Xiang Yu, the most prominent leader of the Chu uprising forces burnt down the palace of Qin in 206 BC, ending the first imperial dynasty of China.

Spoiler :
Maps

Unique Ability: Crucible of Fire (Conquered foreign cities give an one-time boost to :c5culture: culture based on its culture for turn, it can only happen once per enemy city; reduction of :c5citizen: population -50%)

Since its foundation in 740 BC, the Kingdom of Chu had been expanding its border towards the tribal Baiyue people occupying what would one day become southern China. As Zhou dynasty fell and various states rose, the Kingdom of Chu continued its expansion through invasion and subjugation of various lesser states, Chinese and Yue alike. However, as a legacy of the fusion of culture between the Chinese nobles and Yue commoners, the Shra people retained its policy of peacefully assimilating their new-found subjects: the old spirits and gods were pacified and worshipped in their temples, the former kings and chiefs were given asylum, and those who proved themselves strong and wise, no matter their former allegiance, would be given posts in the kingdom. Similarly, despite being considered barbarians without cultures, the cultures of the subjects were constantly being adopted by Shra if they proved to be useful to the Shra people as a whole. As such, Chu became one of the most innovative and opened states in Chinese history, as opposed to the later Chinese dynasties that tried their hardest to assimilate all cultures into the dawning Chinese culture.

Unique Unit: Krengtli (replaces Chariot Archer; more expensive, can melee attack, no rough terrain penalty)

Krengtli (荊尸), named after the location where it is first deployed, is a formation adopted by the Chu military in 690 BC. In order to accompany the lack of war chariots due to the rough terrain of southern China, Chu foot-soldiers were trained to follow the leading chariots closer than their Chinese counterpart. Once the chariots engaged enemy forces, they will signal the soldiers by throwing their straw hats, and the soldiers would quickly move into position to fill the gap between the chariots to support their advance. Combined with the use of Chinese halberd by both the chariot soldiers and the foot-soldiers, the Krengtli formation proved extremely deadly to those who tried to exploit the weakness of the small chariot force of the Chu kingdom.

Unique Building: Terraced House (replaces Temple; also provides +2 :c5happy: happiness and +2 :c5culture: culture)

Terranced House is a common architectural characteristic of Shra (and, as its descendants, southern Chinese) buildings. It represents not just the general architecture of the Shra people at the time, but also its temples and shrines. As mentioned before, the Shra people was, for a lack of better terms, pious to the natural spirits, ghosts and ancestors, unlike the relatively rational and secular Zhou (and later, Chinese) people. With well-crafted bells of copper and bronze, the Shra people were known for their rituals and dances dedicated to the supernaturals, spirits and gods from both the Shra people and its subjects, from which the Shra culture rose from the melting pot between the first Sinitic nobles and the Baiyue subjects.

Spoiler :
City List
:c5capital: Tanlang/Danyang (丹陽)—the name of the capitals of the Kingdom of Chu for more than 300 years during its existence of 800 years. The plural in "capitals" is not a typo: there are several cities in Chu named Tanlang as a memoir of its first capital after the government moved there. This is either because their fervent devotion to the ancestors and the city they founded, or they like the name a lot. Face it, Tanlang (short for "red phoenix facing the dawning sun") is a cool name.
Yengx (郢)—another capital of Chu adopted for strategic reasons.
Qwan (宛)—Modern Nanyang, a minor state that was subjugated by Chu and became one of its most famous metalworking centres.
Dhreng (鄭)—Modern southeastern Shanxi, a former city state.
Dhen/Chen (敶)—A former city state.
Chats/Cai (蔡)—A former city state.
Xo (鄦)—Modern Xuchang, a former city state.

----

As I myself is not very good at the game or balancing any potential addition, any input and suggestions are welcomed! :D

As for the long post,

Note: This post is moved from Civilisation Request Thread. I hope it is allowed.

Civilisation name: Shra (colour: red and black) - (((O)))

Unique Ability: Crucible of Fire (Conquered foreign cities give an one-time boost to :c5culture: culture based on its culture for turn, reduction of :c5citizen: population -50%)

Unique Building: Terraced House (replaces Temple; also provides +2 :c5happy: happiness)

Ah, nice to see another Sino Civ..
Here's my suggestion:

UA:
Add a bit restriction for the bonus culture when conquering a city, such as "it can only happen once per enemy city" to prevent any weird gameplay..
(conquer a city for free cultures, leave it defenseless, conquer it again, leave it again, and repeat the cycle)

UB:
The average Temple UB has 4 bonuses, so add 2 more bonuses..
(You can't add "+2 Gold" bonus for your UB, because the Egyptian has already taken it for their temple-tomb (+2 Happiness and +2 Golds))

Ah, nice to see another Sino Civ..
Here's my suggestion:

UA:
Add a bit restriction for the bonus culture when conquering a city, such as "it can only happen once per enemy city" to prevent any weird gameplay..
(conquer a city for free cultures, leave it defenseless, conquer it again, leave it again, and repeat the cycle)

UB:
The average Temple UB has 4 bonuses, so add 2 more bonuses..
(You can't add "+2 Gold" bonus for your UB, because the Egyptian has already taken it for their temple-tomb (+2 Happiness and +2 Golds))

Well, it seems that there are not many civs that hails from where would be present-day China, and even among them Chu is quite obscure, so I figure out I might as well write about it as I doubt anyone else had done that before.

I agree with the UA restriction, will add it. As for the UB, would +4 :c5happy: happiness work, or would it be too bland? I figure that since chances are Shra will be quite conquest-happy, especially in the earlier ages, having that boost should help a lot with the conquering-cities thing. Apart from that, while it should also work on cities gained from trade deals based on its historical reasoning, I am not sure if it would translate well into gameplay or balance.

I agree with the UA restriction, will add it. As for the UB, would +4 :c5happy: happiness work, or would it be too bland? I figure that since chances are Shra will be quite conquest-happy, especially in the earlier ages, having that boost should help a lot with the conquering-cities thing. Apart from that, while it should also work on cities gained from trade deals based on its historical reasoning, I am not sure if it would translate well into gameplay or balance.

To fill all the quotas into just 1 type of bonus is a bit powerful IMO.., especially for the sensitive bonus like Happiness..
How about +2 Happiness and +2 Production, since your UB is also a "house"..
Production bonus is also important to shorten unit production time, helping you to create armies faster for your conquest.

To fill all the quotas into just 1 type of bonus is a bit powerful IMO.., especially for the sensitive bonus like Happiness..
How about +2 Happiness and +2 Production, since your UB is also a "house"..
Production bonus is also important to shorten unit production time, helping you to create armies faster for your conquest.

I am not very sure about production, since it is supposed to be a replacement of temple (as the Shra equivalent of it), so production bonus from a temple-like building might sound a bit weird (perhaps I should have picked a better name and/or description?). How about +2 :c5happy: and +2 :c5culture:? I remember myself writing it to have +2 :c5culture:, but I forget why I changed that to happiness, possibly because it overlaps with another UB that I cannot remember.

Inuit

UA- Land of the ice

Tundra tiles give +1 food and +1 production. +1 Gold and +1 food from Naval Resources.

UI- Igloo- +2 food, +1 gold May only be built on snow tiles. +1 food after researching Astronomy. Unlocks at Mathematics.

UU- Qamutiq- Replaces Chariot Archer. Double Combat Strength, because it is not ranged. Available at A. Husbandry. However, it is not ranged. Double Combat Strength on Tundra.

I feel as if this is too related to terrain, and that without tundra they couldn't really flourish. All civs specific to a certain terrain have something that they're good at independent of terrain specialty. The Dutch are good at swamps, but they also have a great naval unit and a decent trading ability. Morocco has the desert oriented Kasbah and the Berber Cavalry, but the Berber Cavalry is good at defense in general, and the UA is focused on trade. I think that the UI is good, but swap out either the science or gold with another yield of food and add another point of something to it so that snow tiles really become useful. The Qamutiq is good, because in addition to making it better on tundra, it's available earlier. That's great, because it's all around useful and it has a specialty. I think you can keep one of the two parts of the UA, and the other you should replaced with something that has a broader effect. If you want to make them militaristic, keep the ice crossing. If you want to make them more sedentary, keep the Tundra yields. This has some nice ideas, but they're too limited to one specific terrain, and so it makes true expansion hard because you would lose all your abilities if you ever tried moving out of it.

There's not a massive amount of synergy in it, but I still like it. The UA is very unique, but I'd suggest that you don't make the city-state's name change when it is conquered. It seems to make slightly more sense historically, and I think that Milan would make a better capital than Florence. If you really want to, it could be Roma, but that may make translations a lot harder. I don't particularly like the Palazzo, because as a Bank replacement, it shouldn't have a maintenance cost. Also, athough the Glass Luxury is very interesting and unique, it's slightly too situational for my liking. All in all, good work!

After posting it, I realized that there's not a huge amount of synergy so I was going to rewrite it anyway. So, I'm going to change the Palazzo. I'm keeping the glass portion in, because although it is a little situational the Palazzo has other bonuses so that as a whole it's useful, and sometimes it's extra useful.

UB. Palazzo. Replaces castle. Trade routes made between cities with palazzos and mercantile city states produce the tradable glass luxury resource. Each luxury worked by the city or in a city that its connected to by a trade route produces +:c5culture:, which doubled if the luxury comes from a city-state. Costs 2 maintenance.

I thought that would tie culture and city-states back into Italy, because each palazzo could theoretically produce 2 culture from luxuries around the city, and 4 from city states. Considering not all cities have trade routes, this bonus would likely focus in certain cities, and the change from the bank to the castle replacement reinforces the idea that Italy does have a certain military edge to it. I will change the UA so that the switched city names is out. That was just an idea, but I had another idea for the UA. The capital is chosen randomly at the start of every game from a list of Florence, Roma, Milan, Turin, and Napoli. This further reflects the city-state nature of Italy. Do you think that with the new palazzo, Italy is a little more synergized?

Sorry to be a bother, but you never responded to this, and I was hoping for some more feedback. What do you think of the new Palazzo and UA part? I was wondering if the Palazzo was overpowered. Also, if there's anything that could be improved, please let me know. Thanks.

Sorry to be a bother, but you never responded to this, and I was hoping for some more feedback. What do you think of the new Palazzo and UA part? I was wondering if the Palazzo was overpowered. Also, if there's anything that could be improved, please let me know. Thanks.

Sorry, I'd missed the post. I think that the new Italy's fine, athough I'm not sure I fully get the Palazzo, with the part about connecting luxuries through city-states. Would you mind explaining this again, please? It looks fine otherwise, though. :)

For each type of luxury in in your city, you gain culture. If you have a trade route with another city, you gain culture for each type of luxury in that city. If the city you're trading with is a city state, you gain two culture for each type of luxury. So, if your city has copper and dyes, that's two culture, and if they have a trade route with a CS with pearls and spices, that's another four culture. You don't get more culture for multiple sources though, and if both cities have copper, you only get the bonus once. This would be a little OP and totally overpower Morocco's culture aspect, especially with the glass bit, but in my mind, since the Palazzo has a maintenance cost and since Morocco isn't really focused on culture anyway, I think it sort of balances itself out.

Second idea I just had: the Palazzo produces one point of culture for each separate civ your city trades with, and two points of culture for each CS. Trade routes with mercantile CS produce the tradable glass luxury.

Which one do you like more?

For each type of luxury in in your city, you gain culture. If you have a trade route with another city, you gain culture for each type of luxury in that city. If the city you're trading with is a city state, you gain two culture for each type of luxury. So, if your city has copper and dyes, that's two culture, and if they have a trade route with a CS with pearls and spices, that's another four culture. You don't get more culture for multiple sources though, and if both cities have copper, you only get the bonus once. This would be a little OP and totally overpower Morocco's culture aspect, especially with the glass bit, but in my mind, since the Palazzo has a maintenance cost and since Morocco isn't really focused on culture anyway, I think it sort of balances itself out.

Second idea I just had: the Palazzo produces one point of culture for each separate civ your city trades with, and two points of culture for each CS. Trade routes with mercantile CS produce the tradable glass luxury.

Which one do you like more?

I prefer the first idea, and I understand what's going on now. The Palazzo is a really unique building now, and it does fit in with the rest of the civ well. Thanks!

I want to propose a new nation : Serbia
Leader : Tzar Stefan Dusan / King Peter I Karadjordjevic
Capital : Belgrade
Unique ability : Fierce Resistance
Serbian cities conquered by the enemy gain 2 Unhappines , and if war was declared on Serbia by another nation ( Serbia is fighting a defensive war ) , Serbian units gain + 10% damage .
Unique Unit : Hajduk
Replaces Rifleman , 25 % more Combat while in Forests or Hills .
Unique Unit 2 : Vitez
Replaces Knight , has defensive terrain bonus (normal knights don't) .
Colours : Crimson red / Gold (((O)))
Victory : Domination

Canada
Leader: John A. McDonald
Capital: Ottawa

UA: Unity of the Dominion. Internal trade routes create double unit production in their destination cities. Tiles with trade routes going through them act as roads and railroads once the railroads tech has been researched.
UU: Coureur du Bois. Replaces scout. Double movement and combat strength in forests. Pillaging a barbarian encampment replaces the camp with another one whose units won't attack you, and it gifts you a random resource or unit every 30 turns. (The resource goes away after 30 turns.)
UU: RCN Convoy: Replaces battleship. When located on a friendly trade route, the trade route cannot be plundered and all enemy ships located on it take 20 damage per turn. 20% Interception chance.

I've been thinking about a Romanian Civ, but I'm not sure about the specifics.
Maybe someone has already posted some ideas in this thread, but I couldn't find them with this many pages.

Romania

Leader: Vlad III (the Impaler)
Capital: Bucharest

UA: ???

UU: ???

UI: Stakes. -25% combat strength for any non-Romanian unit on/next to a tile with this improvement on it. Spend double movement points when crossing/passing a tile with this improvement on it. Can be built outside of your borders.

I want to propose a new nation : Serbia
Leader : Tzar Stefan Dusan / King Peter I Karadjordjevic
Capital : Belgrade
Unique ability : Fierce Resistance
Serbian cities conquered by the enemy gain 2 Unhappines , and if war was declared on Serbia by another nation ( Serbia is fighting a defensive war ) , Serbian units gain + 10% damage .
Unique Unit : Hajduk
Replaces Rifleman , 25 % more Combat while in Forests or Hills .
Unique Unit 2 : Vitez
Replaces Knight , has defensive terrain bonus (normal knights don't) .
Colours : Crimson red / Gold (((O)))
Victory : Domination
There's a couple of flaws in the civ. Firstly, you don't lose cities that often, so the ability is slightly redundant, and probably also quite weak as well. The rest of the civ is fine, so you might want to change the UA to make it more domination focused.

Canada
Leader: John A. McDonald
Capital: Ottowa

UA: Unity of the Dominion. Internal trade routes create double unit production in their destination cities and provides a defensive bonus equal to that of the garrisoned unit in the sending city.
UU: Coureur du Bois. Replaces scout. Double movement and combat strength in forests. Pillaging a barbarian encampment replaces the camp with another one whose units won't attack you, and it gifts you a random resource or unit every 30 turns. (The resource goes away after 30 turns.)
UU: RCN Convoy: Replaces battleship. When located on a friendly trade route, the trade route cannot be plundered and all enemy ships located on it take 20 damage per turn. 20% Interception chance.

I have to say that I really like this Canada. It seems to be quite diplomacy-focused, although there are a couple of gameplay issues. Firstly, the part of the UA about extra city strength mightn't work in practice, because if you're sending a trade route to a city under siege, the trade route is likely to get pillaged. Also, while the RCN Convoy does help to overcome this problem, I think it comes too late in the game, athough I like the idea of getting loads of money in the late game to get the city-states as allies.
Good work! :goodjob:

I truthfully didn't think about that. Here's my proposed replacement UA

UA: Unity of the Dominion. Internal trade routes create double unit production in their destination cities. Tiles with trade routes going through them act as roads and railroads once the railroads tech has been researched.

The one question that I have is that you said that this seems like a diplomacy civ. Why? I thought if it more as an expansion civ. Thanks for your help!

Top Bottom