SKNES III: Bullets with Butterfly Wings

my bad... yeah- its probably not easy for tunis. Check out the websites of companies operating there presently?

OOC: @talonschild

Spoiler :
I thought I would help out and try and look up some info - if you haven't already seen these sources.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/609229/Tunisia/46609/Resources-and-power

Spoiler :
Tunisia’s natural resources are relatively meagre. Until the discovery of petroleum, the principal mineral resource was phosphate; of this, one-third is exported, and the remainder is used by domestic chemical industries. Fertilizer is also an important export. Other major mineral resources are zinc, lead, barite, and iron.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ts.html and http://www.indexmundi.com/tunisia/natural_resources.html - current economy (mining and agricultural), much of which has probably not changed all that much over time - other than petroleum and what not.

Spoiler :
olives, olive oil, grain, tomatoes, citrus fruit, sugar beets, dates, almonds; beef, dairy products

petroleum, phosphates, iron ore, lead, zinc, salt

textiles

http://books.google.com/books?id=WD...AeQz4GACw&ved=0CFsQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Spoiler :
Go to page 29 of that book and read after "Military reform was...". It has info for that general time period with what was going on economically.

And apparently to this source, http://www.localhistories.org/tunisia.html, many Tunisians were pirates during the early 19th century. Not that it really helps you.

To: The League of The Rhine

We would like to invite you to send delegates to, and join the German Customs Union.

OOC: To: the recent joiners in the Freedmen's Republic and Florida.

I'd like to point out that you are heavily tied to my state, the Louisianan Empire, and that as of now you are nearly puppets.

First of all, the current situation in Vietnam is certainly nothing personal. I'm glad you haven't taken this as a sign NESing isn't for you (or it certainly seems like you aren't, and you shouldn't). Secondly, I do suspect you will have a great deal more fun as another country (some of the more powerful remaining German NPCs and South American states come to mind), though don't let me discourage you from playing as the native resistance if you're determined to.

OOC: Hey, no worries whatsoever! I certainly don't view this as anything personal; not only is it what happened in real life (though a little early) but from an IC perspective I can completely understand why France would want to invade Vietnam. Also, I'm having a lot of fun (NESing is great) and I don't think the odd war will wreck my enjoyment.

I actually think I'm going to hang on as Vietnam under Duc Duc (just running a couple ideas by SouthernKing before I make a "formal" announcement and conduct some diplomacy) for another update or two and see if I can't kick the French out; if I can't, I will end up changing over to one of the other still-open nations. So, again, no hard feelings!

Sorry Bair, nothing personal. :(

Excellent update SK.! My colonies are coming along nicely.

Unfortunately, i don’t have a computer atm and might not for some time so i'm going to have difficulty responding to diplo or making my own. Incidentally, i can't get on #nes so if you want to get in touch you are going to have. To pm me. Sorry for the inconvenience :(

To: Persia

We understand. Though perhaps in the interests of peace and stability in the region would you be receptive to the idea of our two nations signing a Non-aggression Pact?

OOC: @talonschild - and I'll stop cluttering up the thread with this stuff as well haha.

Spoiler :
Here is some other sources or information you may find interesting - which you may or may not have already seen. Idk if you'll find this stuff useful or actually what you were looking for in the first place but hopefully some of it may help you with Tunisia.

http://www.marxists.org/subject/arab-world/lutsky/ch21.htm

Following "Having seized Tunisia, the French monopolies..." read until the end of the section. It has quite a bit of information for this "current" general time period, economically, although it takes place after the French took control of Tunisia.

The above source in spoilers is a source that opens up a Word Document that is apparently for 9th Grade teachers haha. You may find it interesting or not. Some cool pictures.

http://www.tunisiadaily.com/tunisia-history/

Extensive Tunisian history.

@SouthernKing

Did I lose troops somehow? or are the 3 artillery brigades that I was trying to construct in my orders simply just not in the stats yet?

To: Hanover

We have been monitoring the events in Hanover closely. We protest the illegal imprisonment of George V and demand the immediate release of the Hanoverian Royal Family to either Prussia or Saxony-Bavaria.

@SouthernKing

Did I lose troops somehow? or are the 3 artillery brigades that I was trying to construct in my orders simply just not in the stats yet?

Stats error. Thanks for pointing that out.

edit: What had actually happened is that I built you 3 infantry instead of 3 artillery, for some reason. That's been fixed.

The Treaty of Pattaya

The Kingdom of Denmark and the Kingdom of Siam hereby agree to abide by and honor the Treaty of Pattaya, wherein

1. The Kingdom of Denmark swears to uphold the security and territorial integrity of the Kingdom of Siam, and to deter those who would seek to undermine it.

2. The Kingdom of Denmark will, when asked, provide assistance in the modernization of the military, infrastructure, and other concerns of the Kingdom of Siam, whether that assistance be in the form of economic investment or personnel who can advise on military or economic modernization.

3. The Kingdom of Siam will grant the Kingdom of Denmark exclusive rights to the use of the Port of Laem Chabang.

4. The Kingdom of Siam will grant subjects of the Kingdom of Denmark exclusive rights to conduct business and commerce within the Kingdom of Siam.

Signed, His Majesty Frederick VII, King of Denmark, of Norway, and of the Wends and the Goths
Signed, His Excellency Hans Kjeldsen, Prime Minister of the Rigsdagen

Visby Proclaimation

By mutual agreement between the King and Rigsdagen of Denmark and the Duke of Gotland, the Duchy of Gotland will henceforth be integrated fully into the infrastructure and governance of the Kingdom of Denmark.

To reassure the good people of Gotland should they become anxious during this time of change, the King of Denmark hereby promises to his newest subjects that

1. Swedish will be preserved as the language of local governance in Gotland.

2. Freedom of movement to and from Sweden will not be restricted from the Danish side so long as Gotland remains loyal to the Crown.

3. A free ferry service will travel between Visby and Karlskrona should Gotlanders desire to travel to the mainland.

Signed, His Majesty Frederick VII, King of Denmark, of Norway, and of the Wends and the Goths
Signed, His Excellency Hans Kjeldsen, Prime Minister of the Rigsdagen

To: Hanover
CC: Saxony-Bavaria

His Majesty's government likewise protests the deposition and imprisonment of the Hanoverian king, and would like to in time see negotiations regarding the reinstatement of the king, even if that reinstatement is in an altered capacity.

To: Persia

We understand. Though perhaps in the interests of peace and stability in the region would you be receptive to the idea of our two nations signing a Non-aggression Pact?

To: The Delhi Sultanate

We are interested in such an agreement and ask that you draw up the details pertaining to this treaty.

What's the difference between an Ironclad and a monitor?

I think here the distinction is that an Ironclad is a sail-based, ocean-going vessel with relatively long range suitable for disrupting commerce or battle on the high seas. It may have secondary steam powered locomotion but is primarily wind-powered.

The monitor is entirely coal-powered, very heavy, and because of the limitations of current engine-technology, has basically a 5-6 day range before needing to stop for more coal. Historically this would improve but i don't think we're there yet. It probably has heavier guns and armor than an ironclad but lacks the range or sea-worthiness.

Monitors are for coastal defense. Ironclads are for seas. Note that this distinction is a little artificial but probably is accurate for the setting.

OOC: As of this moment, I am playing the still-independent part of Vietnam under Emperor Duc Duc. Consider all diplomacy (the Treaty of Hue, etc.) conducted previously by me to have occurred under Tu Duc's government, so while it is still "valid" for the French-occupied parts of Vietnam I will consider it to be null in diplomatic negotiations.

IC:

To: France
From: The Government of His Majesty Emperor Duc Duc of Vietnam

Let it be known that, under no circumstances, will we ever surrender to you! You force us to let your heathen missionaries and try to corrupt our nation with your western ideas, and then we when rightfully refuse you invade us! The traitorous former Emperor Tu Duc has been rightfully deposed and is no longer the leader of the free Vietnamese people. Emperor Duc Duc is now our leader and will drive you from our land.

To: The World

We wish it to be known that Emperor Duc Duc has formally revoked the Treaty of Hue. From this day forward, free Vietnam is no longer subject to the terms forced upon it by the hated French.

Top Bottom