End of Empires - N3S III

Long overdue, but stats are done. Ish.

By ish, I mean I still need to figure out new faction leader names. If you guys want to highlight what should be changed, that would be a huge help. :)

Also, deadline will probably be July 12th or 19th, haven't decided which yet.

Also also, the long awaited and dreaded RANDOM DEATHS begin. These shall work thussly: I'm running some actuarial tables to see roughly how many in each age bracket should die every update. I'm going to tell you the list of those that the RNG offed, and it is up to you to decide whether to replace them last turn or sometime this coming turn in stories or orders. In any case, they will not be in the stats for Update 31, so you'll have to generate the new names one way or another. ;)

See the footnote for a further explanation.

Anyway, the list:

Spoiler :

Crephaxas
Fheleimaigh
Sedrax
Orlaigh
Taephas
Heisai Amatir
Reman Torol
Ardun Liswey
Kaltos
Agiyed III
Amadhir Shudrath
Torcias Neros
Xochipepe
Aya'se Sies
Mirun e Aghimata
Adraxes
Prokos Zirai
Aya'se Jana
Aya'se Ge
Valasyr-ta-Vesakeph**
Jinyuan
Iaelgham i Laerghata
Kanolani
Aya'se Oscadia
Sarathayad
Rodar Ksatri
Xephathor III
Rorai On Leon
Eorderach Amatir
Izara Sitticos
Amaros of Putra
Alactephion
Oran of the Ardiunne

*I don't normally use the RNG, so why here? Well, for a couple of reasons, but the number one reason was that people lived too darn long in previous turns. You are free to kill off your own characters at any time through violence or illness, and I will try to avoid arc-important characters, but other than that I really just need to thin the herd of 90s+ characters.

**Yes, Thlayli/Grandkhan, I noticed the current Redeemer of all the Satar is dead, and you can expect a new Prince of the Exalai and the High Oracle to choose a successor well before the actual update. Feel free to lobby him. ;)

The current High Prince of the Ashelai Exatai is Darnaces, Prince of the Wheel, Age 41. He runs the Exatai like he did raiding parties into Oscadia and Gaci in his youth: trusting his subordinates and fellow Princes to manage their spheres while he entertains himself with pretty girls and martial games.

Vedai Satar: Influential Satar elite in Satara. Quite cosmopolitan. (Leader: Teipses (Age: 32))

The Vedai Satar largely line up behind Darnaces, and the other Vedai Prince, Teipses. Teipses himself is so forgettable and pliable that everyone just assumes that Darnaces always has two seats on the Hekeletai. Darnaces supported his father as High Prince, decades before, and Teipses returns the favor in the hope that he can have a smooth and forgettable transition to being ruler in turn. He literally has to do nothing in order to become one of the most powerful men in the world, and he's perfectly fine with that.

Merchant Elite: Diverse merchants running long distance network. Influential. (Leader: Talik-ven-Vesh (Age: 39 ))

The merchant elite, representing not only the actual merchants but also the guilds and imperial cities, employ full-time Satar lobbyist Talik-ven-Vesh in Magha as their unofficial representative in the Hekeletai, to make sure that someone doesn’t get a bad idea and start a war with the Ashelai’s biggest trade partner or something. Talik, while mocked for his obesity, is probably the most well-connected man in the Exatai, and has strong Aitahist sympathies, having been blessed by a claimant in his youth.

Godlikes: Somewhat influential old Uggor elite. (Leader: (Age: 58 and 31 ))

The two chief Godlike families in the Ashelai Exatai are the Horse and Ram families, headed by Bananni the Elder and Eggo. They are also the only non-Ardavani representatives on the Hekeletai, and the main impediment to rebuilding the Metraxes to its former glory, as they, rightfully, don’t give a damn about it. The Horse family are primarily major landowners, having consolidated smaller Godlike families under their banner, they own significant territory in the Uggor regions. The Rams made their name during the fall of the Kingdom of the Pass, and have stronger ties to the Imperial Cities.

Vithana: Steppe nomads in west, declining influence. (Leader: Haraxes-ta-Vesa (Age: 26))

Haraxes is the Prince of Wolves, the head of the bulk of the Vithana. He is young, aggressive, and pushing the Hekeletai to kill something already. Or, at least in the eyes of the other Princes. He is considerably more intelligent than his reputation, but he plays the role in order to ensure the loyalty of the Vithana, who are considerably more fractious than the Vedai Satar. He's looking for a way to break the current Vedai hold on the High Princedom, and in the current Hekeletai that means awkwardly courting the Iralliamite chiefs while acting like the One True Satar to his followers.

Other important characters are the heads of the Iralliamite and Ardavani faiths in the Ashelai Exatai, Patriarch Bono of Gaci, while nominally based out of the city of the same name, resides in the Ashelai Exatai due to past unpleasantness that’s occurred with the Aitahists in that country. He regularly steps on the toes of the Patriarchs of Krato and Dula, and works closely with Veranaxes, the chief oracle in Magha. Veranaxes himself is particularly concerned with syncretic ideas, as heir to a tradition that stretches back to Ashelas. The Havatakasa, chief general, of the Ashelai Exatai, who spends most of his time whistfully remembering the days when he could raid the Yensai and Gaci for sport, is Bystes (Age: 45).

And no, there is not a secret order of assassins, the xivha zales, led by the half-Seshwaey Pasargades (Age: 63).

Nice work, Shadow. I like your factions.

**Yes, Thlayli/Grandkhan, I noticed the current Redeemer of all the Satar is dead, and you can expect a new Prince of the Exalai and the High Oracle to choose a successor well before the actual update. Feel free to lobby him. ;)

Well technically speaking, Shadow or even Golden could get the Golden Mask too, though I guess they're the dark horse candidates. :p

I'd prefer the deadline to be July 19th. I'm occupied with some things in the beginning of July. I mean, it's going to be possible, but not easy. :)

Huaxew, age 58, is the reigning Sunset Emperor, Grand Prince of Ming. While the office is in these days without formal power, as a patron of the arts Huaxew is quite skilled at manipulating fashions and trends in the capital to the benefit of the imperial institution. He will be succeeded by his eldest son Enong, age 41, distinguished only by his gluttony.

Capital Aristocrats Merchants; wield most influence in the ruling council. (Leader: En Lao Lak (Age: 54 ))

En Lao Lak is the incumbent Palace Minister, the most senior minister of the Tsindaet (Tin Tan Tar’s ruling council). Never particularly gregarious, after more than a decade of service En has grown embittered and cynical. Despite railroading grain-importation schemes and settlement subsidies through the Tsindaet, policies which staved off a decade of famine, he is mocked outside the capital as a doomsayer. Receiving little respect and under constant pressure, En considers retirement on a daily basis.

[1] While the term was formerly construed in the sense of “minister from the Palace”, with the centralization of power under the Tsindaet it has come to mean “minister to the Palace.”

Khatri Nobility Landed and merchants; resent second class status. (Leader: Tuongkha (Age: 67 ))

Charismatic and determined, Tuongkha made her fortune after the passing of her husband, an innkeeper. Now the owner of several inns and holly-houses lining the Mekhar Canal, she was acclaimed by the Khatri electors in protest of the law requiring members of the Tsindaet to reside in Tin Tan Tar for at least half the year. She has risen to a leadership role, running the Khatri constituency like her extended family -- the elderly matriarch of an unruly clan, consistently underestimated by her opponents.

Steppe Tribes Disorganized; indistinguishable from Kyumai. (Leader: Shanmin (Age: 27 ))

Little is known about the self-styled “Prince of the Rivers.” He is said to practice the Ihorsehockyilethi faith and maintain considerable fluency in the logographic script of Tin Tan Tar.

Peasantry Disorganized; poor. (Leader: Teok Namou (Age: 41 ))

Teok Namou, chief magistrate for the capital and the Ang Sha valley, has a reputation for justice, wisdom, and dedication. Immensely popular among the peasants, artisans and even some of the less influential merchant houses in the capital, he is on many shortlists for a ministerial post. He is quite likely to be transferred to a distant frontier post.

Also significant is Teng Okwa, a brilliant mathematician and practical genius.

Prince Eater

Other Chapters: (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8)

Naevu, Professor of the Faith
Vainarim, Chorus occupied Yevel, 919 SR

Zealots' blood. The air stank of it, tasted of it. It always did, here. The metallic taint burned his throat, spoiling precious breaths. The rain and snow and wind couldn't cleanse the soils of it. It'd only be worse in the coming summer heat.

Black rock made the world around him. Grey sky drooped low, like a slow falling blanket. Only the horizon cleared to the east, where soon the eternal fire would rise to shed light on their doing. Sharp stones and shellfish beaches trapped him. The high castle sat like a shadow over the waking morning, an ever watchful eye on their conquest. Squat buildings lined the open space, a makeshift town square. Businesses long killed, long repurposed into storehouses and garrison housing.

Another day in paradise.

Naevu chopped at a pair of carrots with a dull knife. Dull enough to slip; sharp enough to put a shake in his hands. Where'd he lost precision, the writer's hand? He shook his head whilst he hummed an old tune, a cooking tune. Not good, but something to do.

The boy poked the fire pit, blond hair already stained sooty from yesterday's coals. The orange heat spilled over him, forcing his eyes shut to the brightness. He tossed in more wood. The iron cauldron black as night spread the flames about its base. Even in the frosty morning air, with those dark clouds hanging perilously overhead, sweat flowed about his forehead. Concentration.

The sun peeked over the horizon like a curious child over a tabletop. The gulls squawked in the wharf, an orchestra of nonsense. Runners came in pairs, a bunch of lanky youths in the blue shawls of the Chorus. They tended the few candle lamps on the streets, snuffing the flames with licked fingers. A hundred burned the first months, but now wax was scarce and the darkness wasn't. Nothing better for them to do.

Old women, like a murder of crows, came first. Every morning at the break of dawn, there they were. Pale wood masks, unstained, warped and asymmetrical on their faces. The poor had no uniformity, even though they intended it. He knew them each by name, now, it'd been so long, after all. They wrapped tight in deer skins, hiding well their frail figures. Their eyes sank like bottomless pits in their skulls, black and empty. They were a constant reminder he was not welcome here. None of them were. Enemy.

Water took to boiling and rolling off steam as some southern fire mountain might. He'd never live to see that. In went the carrots and the leafy greens and the two handfuls of grain the boy'd scraped from the barrel bottom. And finally, the great main course arrived: a sickly little hen, plucked and gutted, save for the good bits. The water splashed about the rim of the cauldron, and the boy stirred it in. A drop in an ocean.

Naevu sat in a crooked old chair next to their crooked little street kitchen. The chair rocked under him, and if he'd been his old self, his full self, it might have broken. But not here. Never here. His belly growled, furious with hunger. He wrapped the furs tighter around his legs and arms, crossing both at the end as a cold breeze picked up in the street.

No place for learned men.

The boy didn't talk much, not this early. He set out to do his dues, nothing more. Diligently stirring the contents of their soup. He snorted at the thought, but none minded. The rattle of chainmail beside him meant their poor guard had walked off to loose urine on some unsuspecting wall.

A bowl, full and steaming, placed gently in his hands. Time had passed in a flash, was it done already? The mildly stained water did not register in his mind as a true meal. A little floating piece of carrot caught his eye, so small as to contribute nothing to the unending war inside him. The painful, awful, delirious struggle for life in the living hell called Vainarim.

The old bats were the gatekeepers. They did not trust the demon worshipers, as it were. Poison lingered in their minds and on their criers' tongues. Morning in and morning out, Naevu drank the Hymnal delicacy to prove them wrong. The fact of the matter was he might not eat again until the next bowl on the next morning. But they needn't know.

Warmth flowed through him, fighting back the last cold winds of winter. Not fulfilling. The liquid settled in the bottom of his belly. Draining, ever draining, like Sirasonan baths.

The crowd grew in an instant. The sunlight illuminated their many-masked appearances. The poor folk, the dying. Little did they know how much he cared, truly, for the men who would sooner slit his throat than trust his wisdom.

The ladle dunked, splashing soup on their table. A careless hurry. Their guard returned, rattling and clanking and tapping spear butt on black stone pavement. He grunted something of approval, and the line formed up close by. His pupil filled bowls with a smile.

The boy spoke in a calm, deep voice. Not begging. "Father."

Naevu raised his bowl in protest, savoring the final drops of soup. "I don't want to talk about it, Saeron."

"You can't avoid it forever," the boy said. Watch me, Naevu thought. A woman, holding her mask as if worried it'd be stolen, hobbled over with hands outstretched. The boy towered over her. How fast they grow. "I've made up my mind."

"Your mind is mine for a while yet," said Naevu. Not nice, he thought too late. He cleared his throat, then poured the soup down it. Now a hundred lined the streets, silent. Eerie as it was, it'd become routine. The Zeeks knew their place, for the most part, and so, too, did he.

"They need us," said Saeron as he handed off another bowl. The sound of a thousand hammer strikes on stone rang in the new day. Ever building on the hill. A fortress to sing about. "I want to stay here, to do what's right."

Chorus. How could one little word bring so much to mind? Anger. Embrace. Death. Love. He sank in the chair, drawing his chin down to his chest. There were warm places, happy places. Out there.

"Men want most what they cannot have," he said.

"I don't need another riddle," said Saeron.

"It's not a riddle. You want to be here because I don't want you to be. I want better things for you."

"This is best," said Saeron. "It's not what you think, father. I want to be here. In the shadow of this black fortress, with these people. Aelie can't help them. Pahal. None of them. They are-"

"I didn't raise you to be a warrior."

"No. Precisely. You raised me to be a leader, a man of words, a man of law. They don't need more warriors, more zealots. The damned place is bursting at the seams with 'em as is. But who among them will do this?" He gestured to the village of hidden faces queued behind him. "Taking what little we have to make sure everyone has enough to get by. You can't feed people with a blade. We won, but what are we doing about it?"

He couldn't help but smile. "It's my choice, too." Naevu patted his stomach.

"I can't contribute from Athsarion."

"Lemdeh," Naevu said, reminding him where he was. The Zeeks listened close. They couldn't understand all the words, just the important ones.

Saeron nodded, tossing a hand up in apology. He filled another bowl as Naevu watched on. The boy's mouth twitched, thinking over his next words.

"I just. I want you to think about it," said Saeron, turning to hand a bowl to the next man in line. "It really-"

In a blur the masked man growled, slapping at Saeron before Naevu could process the scene. Saeron grunted, leaning far to the right. The bowl fell across the street stones, ringing out a high pitched echo that somehow made quieter the already eerie calm. The soup slipped between the cracks and into the ground, gone but for the final gasp of steam fading in the breeze.

Saeron sighed, saying, "Why did you do that?" He stood up, and so did Naevu. Chainmail jingled behind them as the guard slammed the shaft of his spear on the ground. Naevu quickly waved him down. "That was someone's food. Gone."

Approaching the boy, Naevu placed a hand on his shoulder and gently reassured him. He reached high, for the boy stood a head taller. Saeron didn't shake, or sink, or even change his posture in a threatening manner. A deep sense of disappointment radiated from him as he glanced over the fallen bowl. Naevu's heart sank.

"Let it go," Naevu whispered. Without looking to the Zeek, he said in Satar, "You should leave." If they angered the mob, there'd be no saving them.

"Heh." Saeron stood a bit straighter. "I give you my own food. I feed you my own meal. Right from my mouth. You do this. You waste. Why don't you understand?"

"Not so harsh," Naevu reminded.

The Zeek's eyes glimmered in the mask. The man puffed out his chest, fists clenched. Naevu gulped. A hand shot up to the mask, pushing it out enough for the Zeek to spit on Saeron's boots.

"Kulas!" Dog. Naevu grit his teeth.

Saeron relaxed and Naevu's hand slipped from the shoulder. The boy stepped forward. The gap closed. The Zeek stood his ground, but now forced to look up to meet the boy's eyes. The man cracked knuckles.

"This dog feeds you," said Saeron, standing dangerously close to the man. Eyes locked, Saeron leaned in until his face nearly pressed into the wood mask. "If I'm a dog, what does that make you?"

"Son . . ."

The moment stretched on forever before him, refusing to end. Please no, he thought. Not like this.

The Zeek took a single step back. There he stared another moment until his eyes darted around as if lost, trying to remember where he was. And finally, he walked away, silent.

Naevu reached out for the table, putting his full weight against it. The other hand took to shaking. He gripped the table to still it.

Those gathered seemed unsure. A woman came forward, holding an infant wrapped tight and quiet in a bundle of furs. She knelt to the pick up the fallen bowl, but Saeron stopped her and took it. Naevu watched the boy dig deep in the boiling pot for meat and vegetable. When he'd filled the bowl, he took it to her. Her hands were full, holding the child, and she couldn't take the bowl. Saeron held it with both hands to her. "Drink," he said, and she did, careful to cover her face.

We've lost our minds, he thought.

The crowd dispersed to the clopping hooves of a horse. In fancy mail and deep blue decorations, a Chorusman rode a brown mare. They came through most of the day, patrolling the streets on horseback with a heavy blade at side and shield on their backs. This was a new man, a noble from Sira. A fourth son of some fourth son, he imagined.

"Professor Naevu ekGyrdac?" the Siran asked. Naevu stood to attention, slowly, as the horse pulled up beside him.

"The one and only."

The Siran must've thought the scene bizarre. He'd learn. A gloved hand dug into the saddle pouch as the horse steadied itself. It didn't like the smell either. Out came paper, a small rectangle with a large wad of wax sealing it. "This is yours. Came in with the Alonites."

Naevu snatched the note. "Thank you." The Siran nodded and strode off, back through the crowd.

"Who's it from?" asked Saeron. The woman and child walked away, fed a better bowl than most. He went to filling another.

Naevu flipped the note in his hands, looking for the seal. The paper was fine quality, better than any available in the Chamar isles. Scented wax. Pears. And a symbol he knew all too well.

"Sirasona," he replied. Saeron looked bemused.

Naevu broke the wax.

#*#*#​

"Unbelievable."

Thunder rolled, as if timed to her mood. The clouds had come in, dark over the island. A steady, heavy rain poured over the castle's basalt roof.

"Aelie," said Naevu.

She slammed her fist on the table, sending a jolt all the way to Naevu's side. He flinched. The hall was dark, lit only by a few pitiful candles and the storm dimmed sunlight through the windows. The shutters were half-closed, so it didn't help much. What had once been a magnificent council chamber sat cold, only a brazier to warm them, and near empty. Only the First Voice, Aelie, Ward of Naesre, and her tarkan, "The Roar" Saerhun of Sira, occupied it.

Saeron thumbed through a book, an inventory. Saerhun—and it was times like these Naevu hated common names—paced near the brazier, wearing too proud and strong a set of armor for someone so far from battle.

"Saer," Naevu called. He made sure to look at Saerhun, so as to not confuse his own Saeron. Why had he let him choose that name?

"Not my problem, prof. Take it up with the boss," said Saer in his typical loose tongue.

Aelie brushed her short hair from her forehead, but it curled over and refused to cooperate. Naevu smiled to her. She was still beautiful, strong. Faint grey streaks at her temples gave her character.

"Saer," she called. "Be sweet and get the wine."

"There's not much left," Saer replied.

"How much?" she asked.

"Half a barrel," said Saeron, beside Naevu. He'd found the page in the inventory quick enough. But he pretended to ignore the rest of the conversation.

"Yeah," Saer agreed.

"Water, then," she sighed. "I am so incredibly pissed at you, Naevu. I'm lost for words."

Saer went off to fetch the water, without a thought or grumble. Saeron pretended to read over the same page in the inventory again, as if he didn't already know the contents. Naevu wished he could do the same.

"I know."

"You don't," she snapped. "I want this to be good. Not . . . this. Disaster."

"I've been summoned. I have to go back to Athsarion."

"You don't have to do anything, Naevu. You don't have a job. Don't lie to me. You're a professor of the Faith. You do whatever you please. So please yourself with me."

Naevu cringed. Her Faronun had improved, but the awkward phrases remained.

"This is important," he said, sounding whiney. Naevu cleared his throat. Too old for this. "I have no choice. They wouldn't ask for me specifically unless they needed me. Me, Aelie. Not another diplomat."

Aelie tossed her hands up in surrender. "I'm losing my grip. Two hundred sixty eight volunteers in the last three months. What do I do with them all? It was hard enough when Pahal took half the load. But now I take the full load." Saer brought her water and topped off a goblet on the table. She paused to drink. Saer leaned on a chair near her. "A hundred thousand with their prophet wait across the sea. We have to focus. The ships, supplies, men, defense, all of it comes to me, Naevu. You, I depend on you. Saeron. Both of you. These people trust you more than me, more than Saer or any of my men. They might not show it, but they're there at dawn. And now you've got to pull this on me? Daho!"

"I wouldn't do this-"

She raised a hand. "We have to take the responsibility. Pahal saw the worst of men. This place broke him. But at least he's in Sira, in the warm air and in the arms of his lover. I don't know when he'll come back, or if he will. Why would he? He's got a comfy bed and a hard c#ck in his ass. I want that, Naevu! But I have a job to do, damn it."

Saer interrupted, "I don't know about the bed, but the second one's an easy fix." Aelie rapped her knuckles on the table, fighting back a smile.

"No one told us to come here," she continued, "We volunteered. We saved ten thousand of our own, but now we've got to save them too. We've got to make this work. We have to try."

"When we get back to Athsarion," said Naevu, considering his words carefully. He didn't want to speak too quickly. "I'll have Saeron confirmed."

"What?" said Saeron.

"Isn't there a-" said Aelie.

"He's ready now," said Naevu. He stared into the boy's blue eyes. "He knows what he wants. To be here, with you. Helping the people down the hill. There's nothing more I can teach him. So, after it's all finished, Saeron has my approval to join the Chorus."

"Do you mean it?" Naevu nodded. The boy he'd raised. What a ridiculous thing it was, to love a child. Saeron hugged him. Aelie whistled low.

Saer stepped back toward the brazier, grumbling to himself in Siran. Aelie's smile drooped. She laced her fingers together and pressed her hands to her chin.

"Accans, right?" she asked.

"Probably," said Naevu. "They're not too happy. Look, Aelie, I'm sorry to leave you like this. When I get to Athsarion, I'll pull some favors. We'll get you the help you need. I'll lobby for you. Plus, Saeron will be back."

"A full professor," she said, motherly. "Come over here," she said to Saeron.

"Why?" the boy asked. She snapped her fingers. "You're gonna hit me, aren't you?"

"Why would I do that?" she said with a smirk. Saeron went to her. She was one of the few who could stand level with him, a true born warrior woman. Aelie didn't hit him, though she'd done so many times before. She pulled him in for a hug and whispered in his ear in Siran. The boy'd learned the tongue, but Naevu hadn't. Then she dug her knuckles into his scalp until he yelped in pain and pulled away. They all laughed.

"It's coming," she said. She need say no more for him to know. A terminus of their own. Unknown, but certain.

"We'll be okay," said Naevu.

"A promise, prof?" asked Saer, warming his hands still.

"No, an educated guess."

Rihnit Society: Pet Ownership and Status​

Most Rihnit aside from small bronze earrings or rings don't wear any jewelry. Also it's rare for individuals (including the wealthy) to own gems like ruby, sapphire, emerald, amethyst, and turquoise. Instead they're inserted into the eye sockets of the skulls embedded into the central fireplace's outer walls. Most Rihnit, regardless of class also wear plain hemp, wool, and/or bamboo clothing.

Instead of jewelry, fancy clothing, or gems the Rihnit view animal ownership as a mark of status. A happy and healthy pet is an indication that somebody is wealthy. Small dogs which are too small to be effective guard dogs and too inactive to be hunters are an example of this. Owning a small companion dog implies that the owner has enough extra time, commitment, and resources needed to take care of the dog(s). For this reason, small dogs are the second most valuable (monetarily) pet according to the Rihnit. These small dogs

The only pet more expensive than small dogs is the koish carp. While plain and drab colored carp are generally eaten, carp with vibrant and bright colors are kept solely for their aesthetic value. Part of why these colorful carp are so expensive is the transportation cost. Moving one of these fish across large distances while keeping it alive is extremely difficult. It's because of these reasons that only the wealthiest Rihniti are able to afford colored carp. The huge financial cost of owning these carp also means that people who own the fish will even hire guards to protect them. Killing one of these carp is considered to be a criminal act.

Better Ardavani than Aelonist.

He knows what he said.

Seabreak, Yevel, The Choral-State
919 SR (Other chapters: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8)

Saerhun uep Thiaghata
The Roar of the Chorus

Talk of another, greater war did nothing to help Saerhun’s already considerable anxiety. Only two months earlier he had escorted Pahalar to the docks. The man he had followed to war, whom he had tried to protect, had hung his head in shame the entire way there. The war had affected him far more harshly than it had Saer; more than once Saer had woken to his screams echoing throughout the dark, empty halls of Seabreak. Saer felt that he knew what had instigated this. As the Chorus had been subduing Yevel, Pahal had taken a squad of fifteen soldiers to attack what he had suspected was a small group of Zeek holdouts. Their number had turned out to be more than he anticipated, and only he and one of his companions had escaped from the ambush, the companion later dying of his wounds. Whenever Saer pressed him about it, Pahal brushed it off and refused to talk about it, and eventually Saer had decided to leave well enough alone. At least, he had convinced himself that all was well enough until Pahal began to break down in Seabreak. When Pahal’s father, Szaebalar, had visited on behalf of the Pearl Chamber, he was told of Pahal’s condition and summarily decided that his son would return home to Sira with him. Pahal had at first protested, claiming that the Chorus and the people of Yevel needed him, but Szaebalar was not a man whose will was to be refused. As he watched Pahal’s ship set sail for Sira, Saer wondered whether he would someday be broken by war.

The prospect of a new war was not something he wished to consider.

“We’ll be okay.” Naevu was attempting to calm the tension in the room, but all Saer could hear was Pahal’s scream.

It took Saer every ounce of his self-control to keep his voice from breaking as he asked, pleaded. “A promise, prof?”

Naevu seemed to almost smirk as he replied, noncommittal as ever, “No, an educated guess.”

With that, the professor and his ward departed, leaving Saer to stare again idly into the brazier, but the warmth it gave off could not stave off the chill that he could feel growing inside of him. He looked to Aelie, sitting on the throne, for some reassurance. His gaze snapped her out of the trance discussion of war and Acca had put her in, and her eyes met his. He then recalled Aelie’s sexual lament, and the fact that she had never said no to his proposal. Saer grinned wide at the Ward as if to say The offer still stands, Ae. She didn’t seem to get the message, her face blank as she looked at the Roar. Saer then wiggled his eyebrows, their movement akin to Faron script. I know how to treat a woman, Ae. I can be the relief we both know you need.

Aelie had been reading him like one of Naevu’s books the entire time. “It’s not happening, Saer. I’ve no doubt about your talents, but it’s not proper for a commander to show such favoritism. If I slept with you I’d have to make my way through the entire guard corps.” She didn’t break eye contact with him as she stood from the throne and walked towards him. Saer’s breaths quickened as he took her in. Even in her ceremonial armor which covered most of her body, he could still see the Whispers tattooed on her hands and the upper part of her neck. He knew where those tattoos led. She stopped not a step away from him, her looming figure bending a bit to lower her mouth to his ear. “They’re not all as cute as you are.” She rose again to her full height, leaving his eyes even with her mouth. Her lips. He tried to open his, but only the most pathetic sigh could escape. She smiled. “Perhaps if we survive all of this – this hell, if we can make it off of these desolate isles, then perhaps we will meet again in Sira. Perhaps then you can show me what you can do. How you love. As for myself - I know I have much I could teach you. Perhaps.”

Saer tried to summon every bit of strength he had to just get a word out, but again, his mouth opened and only released a sound that fell somewhere between a sigh and a moan. She was still smiling; clearly she was enjoying this. Saerhun physically ached, but mercifully the Ward released him from her spell when she walked back up to the throne and sat down once again. “Our business is concluded for today, Roar, you’re dismissed.” She picked up one of the many histories Naevu had given her when Seabreak had first been made the Chorus’s palace. For now, at least, that book held more interest for her than did the Roar of the Chorus.

“You speak; I obey, First Voice.” With a motion that was more nod than bow, Saer departed the throne room.

His made a beeline for the castle kitchen. All of the cooks there new him - of course they did. There were ten thousand men who wished they could be Saerhun uep Thiaghata. At least, that’s what they thought they wanted. The truth, as it is almost always, was far less glamorous than the myth. This is not to say, however, that there are no benefits to being the Roar of the Chorus. You don’t kill twenty Zeeks in your first battle and then see that number inflate to two hundred in the stories without getting people falling over themselves to do you favors.

The cooks called out to him, as they always did. “Hey, the Roar’s here!”

The head cook, Thaghar, who hailed from Alemade and looked to Saeron to be someone far younger than any Chorus member should be, had a large bowl ready. “Rations-and-a-half. The least we can do for the Hero of Saerghande.”

“Thanks, Thag. Not a word to Aelie, right?”

“For you, Roar, not a whisper.”

Saer thanked the kitchen again, and set off to his chambers carrying the bowl. Roar…is that what I am now? Is Saer dead to the world? Have I killed him along with all of those Zeeks on the beaches? He longed to reunite with Pahal and Kaghie, people who knew Saer as a joker, as a friend, as a trusted confidante. People who knew him not simply as a killer.

When he reached his room, he walked through the door and passed his own table. He approached the door at the far corner of the room. “Etresha?”

“I am here.”

“I’ve got your dinner.”

The door creaked open. Behind it stood a girl of not more than nine years with red hair burning bright as a wildfire and blue eyes deep as the abyss. Her face bore little expression, save for her wide eyes which belied a certain level of fear and more grief than a girl her age should have to bear. Saer went to the table in her room and poured soup from his bowl into one he had procured for her.

“Here’s your dinner. It’s still very hot though, so don’t touch it yet.”

“Thank you, Sar-Sa-er.” The girl seemed to be on the verge of weeping uncontrollably. Saer was unsure whether she actually was, though, as she had been in this state ever since he had found her, alone and starving, at the gates of Seabreak a month before. She’d never broken down in front of him, but almost every night Saer would wake to hear her crying softly in her room. He didn’t have to ask her why; either she was an orphan or she’d simply been abandoned by her parents. Neither prospect was pleasant to consider.

Saer looked to the books he had brought up for Etresha. He hadn’t been able to spend as much time as he would have liked teaching her how to read, but the girl proved to be a quick study. On the small desk in her room there was a volume of the Whispers open. Saer’s eybrows jumped. “You reading that, Etre?”

The Satar girl’s expression changed, perhaps for the first time since Saer had laid eyes on her. “Yes Sir-Saer.”

It seemed to Saer to be awfully dense reading for a girl of but nine years. “You understand it all?”

“Yes I do; the book seems to…” Etresha’s face contorted, unsure how to proceed.

“It seems to…?”

“This will sound silly to you.”

“Try me.”

“S-Saer, the book seems to just speak to me.”

A small chuckle escaped Saer’s throat; whether out of amusement or nerves he could not tell. Has the loss of her parents driven the girl mad? “It does what, now?”

“I can hear her. She has a very pretty voice. Her face is very pretty too, she has eyes that look like mine!” Saer had never expected to see Etresha smile, but now she was beaming.

Eyes like hers…blue eyes? I don’t want to assume that the girl’s insane, or that she’s a liar...but what else could it be? “That’s – that’s very nice, Etre. I’m glad that something’s made you happy.”

“Me too, Sar.” The girl was so enthused that she didn’t even bother to correct her pronunciation of Saer’s name. “If you wouldn’t mind, I would very much like to get back to reading.”

‘Reading’. “Of course, Etre.” Shutting her door behind him, Saer wasn’t sure what to think. Either the girl had lost her mind, or her mind was something special. As much as he wished he could talk to Aelie about this, that was impossible. If the First Voice knew that he had allowed even one extra mouth into the castle, even one that doesn’t require much in the way of food, she would be furious with him. If only Pahal were here, he might have some idea of what to do. Even as Saer tried to sleep, his concern over Etre kept him up. For what seemed like an eon his mind raced. What made me think I could be responsible for another living thing. Not just any living thing either, but a child. A child who was a war orphan.

It seemed that he had just fallen asleep when a he woke to what sounded like a conversation, or at least one side of one. It was coming from Etresha’s room.

“Yes, he is very nice. He took me in. I do not think he can replace my father though; he is more like an older brother. I always wanted an older brother, you know. Mother had promised me a little brother.”

Saer listened for a response, although he wasn’t sure why. He knew there was nobody else in there. She wasn’t kidding; she’s talking to the book.

“Yes, mother and father are…they did everything that they could for me. But there just wasn’t enough food, and they gave everything to me. Then they gave me the horse and told me to ride west. So I do not really know what happened to them.”

Although this only served to confirm his suspicions, Saer still was hit by a pang of remorse. Why must there be so much death? And why have I made it my profession? He didn’t hear any more weeping from beyond the doorway though, only more conversation.

“Oh, so they are…thank you for telling me. It is good to know for sure.”

The book knows what happened to them? Saer’s concern only grew, although Etre seemed comforted by the closure.

“I’ll talk to you later. I have to go talk to him – the Roar? Is that what they call him? He is so kind though, and so gentle.”

Saer pulled the covers of his bed over him and attempted to appear asleep as he heard Etresha open the door to his room.

“Saer? She told me you were awake.”

Blinking his eyes open, Saer put on his groggiest voice. “Who…said what?”

“There is something I have to tell you.”

The words hit Saer like a punch to the gut. He knew what was coming. “What is it, Etre?”

“M-my parents. They’re dead. She said they’re dead.” Tears began to stream from her eyes as she ran to the bed and embraced Saer. “They’re dead, Saer.”

Saer could feel his own eyes welling up. “I’m – I’m so sorry, Etre.”

Etresha’s voice was muffled as she cried into his shoulder. “It is not your fault, Saerhun.”

He stroked her hair, unsure of how to respond. There was really only one way to respond. The Roar of the Chorus wept and buried his face into the flaming hair of the young Satar girl.

It has come to my attention that certain persons want questions answered, and even correct stats before they send orders. After recovering from my considerable alarm and dismay, I concluded that the update will have to be postponed until at least after I get back to people. The new deadline will be July 26. Happy writing ;)

"Where is the Prince? The news is urgent." The messenger burst through the doors, hair askew and panting.

"He is in the garden. I shall take you." Atharios Spearlord rose from his seat near the throne room, and stretched. It had been a relaxing nap - peace was hard to come by in these times. "I hope for your sake that your message is as crucial as you claim - he is meditating, and he left orders not to be disturbed."

"And yet you find yourself willing to guide me."

"It is on your head, not mine." Atharios guided the messenger to the garden. In a patch of sunlight, seated cross-legged upon the warm stone, sat Pharaxes-ta-Marevi, Prince of Wind, Sartosh of the Tephran Exatai. His eyes were closed, and he appeared almost asleep. The Silver Mask shimmered on his face in the sun.

"My lord," began Atharios, "this messenger claims his news is sufficiently urgent to disturb your meditation."

There was a pregnant pause.

"Well, out with it," replied Pharaxes, barely moving. His eyes remained closed.

"My Prince, Valasyr-ta-Vesaketh is dead. The Golden Mask is up for the taking."

There was another pregnant pause. Pharaxes one eye, slowly. Then, he openned the other. He blinked, once, twice, impassive behind is Silver Mask.

"Gather my Council immediately," he said, finally. "Bring my son, and Vedes as well. Go."

An hour later, they had assembled. Inside the spacious Councilroom, they sat at a large stone table. Atharios Spearlord, Prince of the Spear. Taexes, Prince of the Moon. Athares-ta-Tephas, Prince of the Wind. Angyun, the Ming mercheant, successor to Jingyuan and councillor in his own right. They were joined by Andraxi, Pharaxes' son, and the Tarkan Vedes. Pharaxes rose to speak.

"I bring you hear for one reason and one reason only. The Redeemer is dead. The Golden Mask is mine for the taking." His words were greeted by silence. "The question now is, do we take it?"

"Take it by force!" cried Andraxi, slamming his fist on the table. "Ride on Alusille, and force them to crown you Redeemer!"

"Why take by force what you will be freely given?" Vedes said, evenly. "The foolish warrior is loathed as a tyrant, but the wise one is loved as a liberator."

"What do you propose then?" Athares replied. "Bribing them to victory?"

"It is one way," Anyun said, "but risky."

"The dog who turns on his master for scraps would turn on you for the same," said Vedes.

"We also lack the bottomless coffers of the Accans," Taexes said pointedly. "Even if they are engaged in war with the Halyrate, they can marshall deep pockets if necessary."

Andraxi shrugged. "March on them too. Burn the Vellari Exatai to the ground, leave yourself as the sole Prince who can take the Golden Mask."

"There are other ways," said Vedes, "Ways that will grant us glory as well as our Prince the Mask, without resorting to war with the Accans. We have an enemy, do we not?"

"What are you proposing, then, Vedes?" said Pharaxes, finally. "I trust your judgement. You have been a good warrior and a good friend. I will hear you."

"I propose war, but not with the Accans or marching on Alusille. I propose war with our far greater enemy, and I propose a victory that will grant you all you desire."

Prince Eater

Other Chapters: (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8)
Arc Word Count: 23,834

Naevu, Professor of the Faith
Athsarion (Lemdeh), Cyve 919 SR

"I dream of darkness and the lost. A thousand faces like mine shattered on a turbulent sea. You need not fear the way forward. Though you cannot comprehend tomorrow, I assure you it is there. You need merely walk." - Whispers, Fourth Dusk

~~~

The archive assistant brought the greatest gift humanly possible.

Bread.

So fresh it burned his fingertips when he tore into it. Steam billowed out in an orgasm of aroma that flowed into his nose and deep into his lungs. He shivered with the bread to his mouth, where he tasted the sweet glaze of honey and butter on his lips. When had he last had a real meal? A year? Two? Naevu bit the roll, moist, tearing the insides with his teeth and gently massaged the flavor on his tongue. When he swallowed, his whole body rejoiced.

He shook free of the temptress bread's hold. By his side, Saeron picked at a roll, head hanging over it and eyes shut tight. To see his ward, his child, experience such joy warmed him. They deserved this moment. It'd been a hard winter.

"Thank you, brother," he told the assistant, who now lowered two cups of fresh, warm milk to the table. "You cannot imagine the pleasure of such things."

They finished the meal to the music of quill scratching paper. Down the table a scribe sat, diligently copying Naevu's latest reports from Yevel. Two years' worth, and the young man made short work of it precisely and elegantly in his own hand. The archives were quieter than they'd been in all his years within them. Only the elderly archivist, who sat sleeping at his desk, and one other manned the facility with a half-dozen assistants. In his day, Naevu recalled the place being a hive of activity.

All were preoccupied with the war, it seemed. Busied as bees with other tasks.

The room had no windows, and was as long as many other wings of palatial complex. All sealed and fortified to men and weather alike. Within were rows of shelves, tightly packed together, with thousands of books and collections, many of them his own. Though they were summoned and must make haste, the only extant copies of his records, by law, were to be copied by the hands of a scribe three times over. Once was enough to satiate the rule and Naevu's fears. Three copies were made of all the documents contained within the walls of Athsarion. Two sets remained in the city, separated to prevent loss to fire, and the third was kept in a countryside temple in the far east of the island.

The assistant returned shortly with a heavy-bound and weatherworn volume. It shook the table when dropped, and Naevu immediately recognized the Parthecan characters etched into the leather cover. Water damage wrinkled the page ends and the green mold had taken to the paper already.

"We need to check its authenticity, if you will, professor," said the young assistant.

"What's it of?" he asked, turning it in his hands. The tome was heavy, a few hundred pages bound with thick leather cord. A master craftsman had made it. Never would its owner have left it in such a state.

"Found among the dead, some Parthecan study of the northern tribes," said the assistant. He pointed out the characters on the rear cover interior. "Can't make it out with the damage. It might be a personal mark, or nothing at all."

"It isn't a name," said Naevu, rubbing the embossed characters. "It's part of a poem, a second to last line in a stanza." He smiled. "It translates as an expression of celebration over the expectations of the author's mother. Behold my work, in other words." Naevu started to thumb through the battered pages, scanning the various paragraphs. Parthecan archivists held a specific tradition of glossaries on the margins, a truly useful tool for explaining the contents of the page. "Northern tribes. Hmm. This man conducted excavations of old villages. He calls them Snowwalkers, but we know them as Bakhad. This is a true Parthecan labor."

Saeron coughed and spoke with his mouth full. He'd gone on to a second or third roll. "Are you serious? Let me see."

Naevu gently handed the volume over to Saeron, who, with a careful hand, began prying through it with eyes glazed over. The assistant fidgeted as the teenager made quick work of the pages. How odd it was for a day to make such a difference in how the world viewed you.

The assistant gave way to the younger archivist, who must've taken the brunt of the work from his elderly senior, with a curt nod. The archivist wore a Nechekt moustache, which must have recently come into style or he'd attempted a social statement. Dark rings under his eyes made him look old, though he couldn't have been more than thirty. He pulled out a chair opposite Naevu and dropped a thinner document between them.

"The dead have no use for it. We do. One of the winter raids caught the poor bastard. We salvaged it, thankfully. And this, too, professor." The archivist slid the thin document over. Naevu knew his face, but could not put a name to it. "A student's work in need of confirmation."

Naevu fingered through the pages. It was packed with the smallest script he'd ever seen. Why would someone do this to him? "Whose?"

"Yccon's," said the archivist. Yccon took only the best under his wing. His methods of education were rather . . . extreme.

"Is this a dialogue?" asked Naevu. He paused on a middle page. The participants discussed state finance.

"Yes. With a Sadorishi of some rank."

"Interesting. How did he manage that?"

"She," corrected the archivist. "With a clever tongue, I assume." The comment met stale air.

"When's it needed?" said Naevu. Licking his fingers, he picked through the pages until he came back around to the first. There, in fine Faron script, was the girl's name. Hyra. Naevu flicked the cover closed, withdrawing his hand to scratch his bearded cheek. Will this nightmare never leave me?

"No time soon," said the archivist. "She's off island, with her master in Gallat doing some business for the High Ward. Take your time."

What business would Yccon have in Gallat? Naevu cleared his mind of it. He wanted to ask about the girl, but thought better of it. It wasn't his Hyra. It'd never be.

"Good. I'll be delighted," he said, dropping the subject. Saeron was staring at the document in Naevu's hands. He'd seemed to have forgotten what he was doing. "Find anything worthwhile?"

Saeron blinked and shook his head. "Am I supposed to present something?"

Naevu looked down at the thin, leather bound dialogue. Should he tell the boy yes, and that he'd forgotten? No, no that wouldn't make sense. "Do you want to?"

"I." Saeron stopped to consider the Parthecan volume in front of him. He scanned the pages at the end of his finger, tapping gently on the page. "Yes. I do."

Naevu tossed the dialogue to him, much to the dissatisfaction of the archivist. "There you go."

"What do I do with this?" Saeron asked.

"Read it. Analyze it. Write about it."

"You want me to do your work for you?" Saeron no longer looked bemused, but amused.

"No, I want you to see what she did so you can do it better."

"Better than a dialogue with the Sadorishi?"

"You don't have to be better at this. She's taken her own passion, and done well by it." Naevu snapped fingers at a nearby assistant, different than before. "Paper and quill, plenty of it," he said. "You know your passion."

The assistant dropped a stack of rough cut pages, which would later be trimmed down to size, and a tin inkwell. Naevu dabbed a clean, sharp quill into the blackness. He took a page and began scribbling. A moment later, Saeron took his own.

"Show them," Naevu told him. The assistant lingered. He finished writing and handed off a paper. "Do you know Casmarc ekTydun?" The assistant nodded. "Find him. Give him this."

The assistant did not ask permission. He'd been given a task by a professor of the Faith, not some lowly archivist. Naevu lowered the quill and grabbed the Parthecan work from Saeron's vicinity. Opened, he began scanning the pages.

"What was that?" Saeron asked, and it was clear the archivist was curious too.

"I made a promise to Aelie," said Naevu. The page glossaries were neatly packed around the edges, not much space remained blank. Thorough. "And to you."

"Is this a friend of yours? Casmarc? I've never heard of him."

"I haven't spoken to him since before you were born. Quite a while ago." Naevu sighed.

"He owes you a favor?"

"He does."

Hours passed as Saeron scratched notes on paper. Some tossed aside, others piled high to his right. They drank more milk, as wine could not be served within the room. Terrible for paper, should it spill, and wine had a nasty habit of assisting in accidents. The morning passed without a word between them. The scribe worked through Naevu's records, asking questions ever so often. The Parthecan work kept him occupied, and he got up a number of times with the assistants to search for volumes to reference against it. There were few pleasures in the world as deeply gratifying.

When they grew tired of the work and hungry again, they left the archive. The halls were empty, as quiet and bizarre as the archives had been. The whole north seemed a desolate wasteland before them. Vainarim had more company, more often, than Athsarion in those moments. A stop in the chambers of an old friend, a fellow professor who refused to die of old age, gave them another chance to eat. Pork roasted in honey with a side of creamy goat cheese. It filled their appetite for both company and food.

Saeron confessed his fears and concerns, not for the confirmation alone but for all things. The coming war in the south ate at his mind, and he let it be known. Nothing to be done about it. Naevu was going to Sirasona. War or not.

Eerie silence greeted them.

The hall opened into the cavernous Birthing Chamber. Undisturbed waters pooled lazily under a blanket of steam. None were in the long bath, but voices did emit from various alcoves like whispers on the wind. Two years since he'd last stepped there, and his body ached for the relaxing warmth of the pool.

They took no time in debating it. Disrobed, Naevu entered the waters to the immediate relief of his knees. Vainarim had taken weight from them, but age had worn them down in return. Life equalized. He imagined rust within him, creaking like a wagon's axil after a harsh winter. Or perhaps, if opened as an old tome the ill-repair would show through with crumbling pages and mold. His feet sank to the bottom, bringing the water to his neck.

Naevu drew a breath and swam.

Saeron had entered when he'd resurfaced. They drifted together, floating on their backs a ways down. Baths were a luxury in Chorus lands. And cold. As sweet as the meals had been, this was sweeter.

It didn't occur to him how empty the chamber was until they stopped midway and took to opposite sides. Naevu rested on the submerged shelf, letting the blissful heat sink deep into his worn body. The pillars were all that remained in the chamber. No birds or plants lined the water's edge. Where had it gone?

Where the feathered throne had stood for a third of a century there now was a stepped dais of cushioned platforms. Amidst the pillows were fan boys and servants, blond haired Lusekt and dark-skinned Sirans, and in the middle of it all a pair of women. White and brown, their flesh mingled as they rested beneath the handmade breeze. The scarred High Ward Aelea--his sister, to some--and her unfortunate pet, Ibilie, the greatest singer living.

You still haven't learned, he thought. You poor girl.

Aelea kissed her. Though he could not see well, it was all a blur of motion to him. Company gave her reason to show out, it excited her. Naevu watched them roll in the pillows from afar. A faint giggle broke the silence.

Saeron splashed his face and scrubbed with both hands. He'd taken to the ledge opposite Naevu. He had not broken, mind nor body. He'd been shaped by his dedication to Siran ways, martial meditation. The rock had turned him into one of its own. Strong. Adept.

"How long do you think I'll live?" Naevu asked in a low voice. What kind of question was that? He'd just said it, without a thought.

There was a hammering somewhere, wood to wood. Construction work? It faded. Voices in another alcove, not far from where they swam. A lecture?

Saeron wiped water from his face, giving a half smile. "Are we talking about your mortality now?" Shaking his head, he said, "I don't want to play this game."

"Somewhere along the way I've become an old man," said Naevu as he rubbed his forearms. The sight of Saeron's body made his own age all too real. He'd never have youth again.

"Men live twice as long as you," said Saeron, confident. Despite all his hardness, he was but a child. Too new to the world. "You're at the beginning, still."

"I suppose so," he agreed. The truth creaked as his joints did. Saeron knew nothing of his aches. The stabbing sensation when he climbed from bed in the morning. Walking misery.

"Is this because of the girl? The student," said Saeron. "I saw her name."

Naevu wiped at his cheek. Yes. It must've been. "No." On the dais, a ways down the chamber, a moan erupted from Aelea's lips. Far too loud to be real. Ibilie's brown figure slid lower on Aelea's body. Saeron splashed his face again. "You don't like to see her this way? Neither do I. She reminds me of Hyra."

Saeron met his eyes, silent.

"One sided, forgotten. Lost in plain sight," said Naevu. He massaged his neck. "I never told you much about my life, before. Now we've reached the end."

"It doesn't change anything. You'll still be my father tomorrow."

"Yeah." Naevu paused to think, watching his reflection in the water flicker by candlelight. "I never had a relationship like ours, a father to me as I am to you. There's no memory of life prior to Gyrdac. And he wasn't a father figure. He was a professor, an educator. He never treated me, or Aelea, like his children. We were his chosen pupils. He respected us, but he did not love us as his flesh. He was a brilliant flame, true to the Faith. The million stars and thousand colors of the night sky are as close to his mind as you'll ever see. Men like him come only once a century. He gave us a different, universal love."

Naevu started to crack knuckles one at a time.

"I was starving when Gyrdac picked me from the mud and gave me a home. I never learned if my family had been killed. How I ended up in Udel is anyone's guess. There were Zeeks all over, occupying most of Ederrot. But you know all of that." He waved it off, sending a speckle of droplets across the shimmering water. "Bad men, they said. I saw the bodies, the women who'd been raped. I was too young to comprehend what I was seeing, and it didn't set in my mind as sour as it should have. My entire world was war, and hunger, and tears. Gyrdac asked my name, but there wasn't one to give. Might've been fear? Forgotten? It didn't matter. He took me in for no reason but his judgment, morals. To this day I've never felt a hunger like then. Not even Vainarim compared."

"Why are you telling me this?" said Saeron. He'd now climbed out of the water, sitting on the edge of the bath with his feet dangling in to the warmth.

"It's a fundamental difference in the way we see the world. They would do what we will never do. It doesn't revoke their humanity or our duty to them. They worship a warrior whose entire existence is hell-bent on conquest and domination. They want nothing less than to expunge us." Naevu snorted. "I'm proud of you. What you've become. I can't say I shaped you, or had a part. Maybe Saerhun, Aelie, or Pahal did more than me."

"They could never compete," said Saeron. "You've given me everything, sacrificed."

Of course the boy knew. How couldn't he? In a world full of sex, Naevu never had any. "Sacrifice," he agreed. "I never wanted to miss a moment, to make a mistake. Another mistake."

"You haven't."

Naevu smiled. "Do you remember when first went to Sirasona, after the speech? How frightened you were?"

Saeron raised his voice. "You told me they were going to murder us."

"Half-truth," said Naevu, laughing.

"It wasn't funny."

"It was . . . until Elea dissolved the Accan Quarters."

"So that's why you're going?"

Naevu shrugged. He swam into the center of the pool, closer to Saeron. The boy's attention now focused on the dais, where the moans rang louder. Ibilie's bottom now elevated on knees and presented as a wonderful gift, a private show. Was it a terrible thing to not be aroused? Had he lost that, too? Saeron tried to hide it, but a blush crossed his face and spoiled the act. He decided to distract his pupil.

"Gyrdac almost rejected Aelea," he said.

"Why?"

"When her father brought her, he only wanted a better life for his daughter. She couldn't speak. They feared she'd become a mute. I learned later she'd witnessed her mother's murder. She doesn't remember, but it affected her. Not sure why he took her. She came before me, by a few months, and my memory of her is as a girl dedicated to the written word. Maybe he saw something in her, maybe he saw all this. Who knows? Gyrdac raised another, a boy, before us. He'd grown and turned into warrior, and died in a field somewhere. . . Maybe her personality won through? She was a real b#tch, pushed me around."

"You let a little girl bully you?"

"She was pretty, and much bigger than me," he said, swimming over to rest on the marble ledge next to Saeron. Arms crossed on the pool edge, head resting in them. "There was a day when I was six or so. In Udel, there used to be an old ash tree by the road coming from up from harbor. Gyrdac composed songs under it. One of the few times he'd allow us to play as children. Aelea chased me with a stick, for reasons unknown. We weaved in and out of the crowds coming from the east to the sea, where they'd cross to Nech. Gyrdac would never step foot off Aelona's land so long as the enemy occupied it. We were too young to be aware of his zealotry. Seldom did anyone travel west in those days. But on that day, a hundred men on horse in armor rode west. They flew a banner with a blue sun on a field of white."

"Alonites?"

"Aye." Naevu pulled himself out of the water and sat beside Saeron. He could see from this side a lecture in an alcove, far in the rear, with a dozen people gathered around an elderly bearded man drawing numbers on cloth with a hunk of charcoal. "There was a black haired man in fresh forged chainmail, who rode up to me. Aelea struck my back with the stick about the time the horse stopped. He gave us two purple plums. Told us to share, so we did. I learned his queer accent later as from the Allato Hills. He said we were safe now. Friends had come."

"And they had," said Saeron.

"Correct. We knew they were Faithful like us. They followed the Path. No one cared what they were. They came with the rising sun, from the Land of Light, to break the shadow."

A shout descended from the pillowed dais, Aelea's bark. "Are you going to lounge all day, Naevu?" Her voice nearly broke on his name. Ibilie's tongue must've found its mark.

Naevu sighed, and said, "Even now she pushes." A pillar proved the easiest way to his feet, but even that didn't sit well with his legs. I'm too young to be old.

Saeron brought their clothes from the far end, as no dresser came. They didn't need pampering, not anymore. Not after the black rock. Saeron dressed, and helped wrap Naevu in his professorial cloth. He squeezed excess water from his hair and beard.

"What happened next?" asked Saeron as he pulled tight the belt around his waist.

"Eh?"

"After the Alonites came," he continued.

Naevu smiled. "Another time."

The walk to the dais only bubbled tomorrow in his mind. The day his son would leave. Another time may never come. Was it worse to bury a child or never see them again? He'd cross the desert when it came to it.

The hammering picked up as they passed the final alcove, directly adjacent to the high dais. Reserved in Hygren's time for special guests and dinner parties, the alcove transformed in to a theater with wooden stage and makeshift bedding for the audience. A half-dozen young men worked quietly as they could with hammer and chisel and brush to build set pieces. The backdrop painted orange with palms and a blue sky through an open balcony.

Pillows scattered along the floor at the dais base, which seemed much higher up close. Fan boys did their work to keep the breeze going as others lounged. One of the Lusekt men, one Aelea had saved, committed to self-pleasure on the highest level, watching Ibilie. Naevu wobbled on the unstable, feather stuffed surfaces beneath him, so slowed to a near crawl as he and Saeron stepped up.

Ibilie rocked her haunches in near hypnotic rhythm with the fan. He averted his path, stepping farther to the side and pulling Saeron with him so as neither of them came up directly behind her. The scenes Aelea put on were never happenstance. She'd angled their act to best entice them. A younger Naevu would have fallen in step behind her, taken her, and been done. But the girl meant more to him than her parts and she deserved better.

Aelea's scars had faded to a milky white, like shattered ice. They stood out even more profoundly against the brown of Ibilie, her black hair flowing over pale white thighs. She dined on Aelea as a cannibal, obsessed and starved. He met his sister's eyes, tilting his head to show his wish for it to end. Aelea clenched both hands in Ibilie's hair to hold her there, licking.

"Naevu," said Aelea, drawing out the name as a moan. Ibilie snatched away, turning with glistening wet lips and a smile.

"Aelea."

The High Ward scrunched her brow and pulled a sheet over her midriff, covering only that heinous scar. The word they'd so shamefully carved into her. Ibilie raised herself, with much difficulty and fluster. The Siran did not bother with covering as she leapt onto Naevu with a sudden, near toppling embrace. He refrained from a greeting kiss, not wishing to taste her recent meal. He instead kissed her neck.

Soap. Clean. She smelled alien, too neutral to be true.

"Saeron," said Aelea.

"Your Radiance," he replied, nodding his head sweetly.

"You've grown," she said, eyeing him.

"Leave him be," said Naevu. Ibilie dropped from his arms and skipped over into Saeron's. The boy stood awkward and nodded as she kissed him on the lips and hugged him tight and did not let go. No longer did he look up to her, as he had in Sira when they played on the beaches and in temple halls. Now he was man, towering over her.

continued below

continued from above

"You could show respect, Naevu," said Aelea. She did not adjust and left her breasts and crotch exposed as she lie there. The scars featured like brush strokes on her skin. Hair faded from lustrous black ends to dull grey at the root. Shallow wrinkles dug into her face. A calming reminder that nothing was forever.

"I've known you my entire life. If I could, I would not bend my knees now."

"Fair," she agreed. She patted the bedding near her, where Ibilie had lain. An offer to ease the burden on his worn body. He slid into the cushions to the coolness of the fabrics and the softness he sank deep in. Their taste lingered in the air. "Is no one unscathed by that hell?" she asked him. He stuffed pillows under his back.

"Weight loss does not compare with scars," he told her. Lying beside her gave the chamber a new magnificence, one he'd never seen before. Was it power going to his head or was the air sweeter high above the rest? Ibilie swayed with Saeron, instigating a precious motion. They spoke softly in Siran. Saeron's hands were large on her lower back, though they never wandered. As Naevu, Saeron saw her as a friend and woman, not a toy. Though, if he could fight arousal with her pressed against him, he was years ahead of Naevu at that age.

"You've scars of your own," Aelea said, raising a finger to her lips. She'd claw Saeron, if given the chance. To see how Naevu would react to it.

"Scrub to the bone and the scent of death never leaves," he said, watching his son hold pure beauty in his arms. What're you saying to him, Ibilie?

"Does it bother you," said Aelea in Savirai. He'd nearly forgotten he spoke the tongue, for it'd been so long and the words were dreamlike wisps, smoke in hand. Aelea inched closer; Naevu pulled the sheet to cover her legs. Her scars broke the smoothness of her flesh, like ripples. He pulled his arm behind her head. For a woman so cold, she warmed him well. Armor and furs kept people apart in war, but here they could enjoy one another's presence. Nothing but company, as the world intended. "To see youth so carefree? Speak your mind."

"I've not practiced in years," he admitted. "My skill has greatly diminished." Faronun and Savirai were ill-suited partners, and he nearly choked on the words.

"Celibacy does that, I hear," she said with a smirk. "She speaks to him in Siran, to keep their secrets. So shall we keep ours in a much lesser known tongue."

"I don't keep secrets from him," said Naevu. He found himself playing with Aelea's hair, like they were children again in a moment of peace, listening to Gyrdac lecture. Soon, she'd hit him if the world remembered how it once was. Had the man known he'd forged a High Ward, a martyr?

"You hide your jealousy," she said, glancing to the swaying pair.

"Of what? Her?"

"To be in her," said Aelea, crudely.

"No, not anymore," said Naevu. "Once, she'd tempted me like few could. Until you sent us to Sira and I saw how far you'd go for all this."

"She volunteered."

"She loves you. It's wrong."

"Right or wrong seldom matter when the greater good is in question. I did it to save our kin across the sea." Aelea shifted away, but Naevu pulled her back. A playful moan escaped her lips, daring him. The Aelea he knew, teasing and dominate. She'd never left, simply buried.

"Now we have others to protect, shelter, and feed. I didn't see it until Saeron showed me. The greater good, it's said too often without debate. Who authorized this greater good? Who defines it?"

"What would you have done? Another do-nothing Ward? You better than any should know how sacrifice plays out." Aelea slid her hands down Naevu's vesture, hidden in the sheets. She found nothing but flaccid disappointment and a knowing grin on Naevu's face. Not everything's in your control, he thought.

"You had her on hands and knees pleasing an old man so you could have your war. Was it truly worth it?"

She whispered, "It's rarely worth it."

"We're family, Aelea. I love you, but this world we've made. What're we leaving them?"

"Chaos."

Naevu sighed, loosening his grip on her shoulder. She stayed. "Why'd Gyldwin ask for me?"

"I told her to," said Aelea. "You thought I wouldn't know? You're not the only one making friends. Sweet little letters, back and forth. You've been rather intimate with her, exposing your fears like that. Fear of loss." The way her eyes shined on Saeron sent a chill down his spine. "You've been open with her, Naevu. You have a weakness for people. It's true. And I've heard," she whispered, leaning close, "she's been rather open with you." She gently blew on his face.

"What do you know?

She laughed. "You growled hate in her ear until she came. Is that what you want to hear? Exatas, Naevu. Oh, I'm dripping with admiration. Your self-control all these years is admirable. You deserve a reward. Wasn't that your deal, your trade with her? Fantasy for memory? She trusts you."

"She's my friend."

"She's my rival, Naevu. She's stealing from me with all the glamor expected of her. Entire peoples in her hands. She'll take it all if we let her."

"You want me to spy on her? Is that your plan?"

"Hardly," she said, passing the comment off lightly. "I want you to mediate."

"What?"

"What is to come," said Aelea. "The world changes in a day, Naevu. You must seize moments as they occur. Hindsight gives us nothing but busted dreams."

"You want me to work against Elea, my friend? I don't know if I can. She's more competent than you know."

"Aw, pretty faces melt your heart." She turned her viper's gaze on Saeron, still swaying in an almost dance. "The boy's anxious to join the Chorus, correct? But you don't want that, do you? No. Being High Ward gives me certain authority."

"To?"

"Send him to Sirasona."

"He'll never-"

"If I tell him to he will, Naevu. Confirm him, dress him in blue. It's what he wants most. He won't deny me, if I say the word. You'd love to see him safe, warm, off the rock. You know how to play this game."

"Don't lecture me, Aelea."

She slid her hand to his groin once more, stroking. He ignored it. "And soon you'll be free, when he's confirmed. Isn't that how this works? No worries, no inhibitions?"

"He's not a crutch, he's my son."

"If you truly believe it, let me help you. I'll keep him safe." She propped up on her elbow and worked her fingers more, agitated as his body rejected her efforts. "You help me; I help you. I'll sweeten the deal. Bring you back into the world of the living. You've always wanted me." Her hand stopped. "I'm curious to see what so much time does to a man."

"This isn't yours to take," he said, sitting up. "When we were young, but not after what they did to you." Naevu rubbed the scars on her arm.

"The past should remain the past," she replied. "Not mine to take? Ah. You've made up your mind. The boy?"

"No," said Naevu. He laughed, as if played right into her web. "Gyldwin."

"Delicious," said Aelea, a plan screaming through her mind like a comet through the sky. "I love it."

"It's not your-"

He stopped, noticing the Siran whispers had ceased. His son, with a beauty latched to him like a leech, watched, curious. The Savirai barking had caught their attention.

"Saeron," called Aelea, pointing nonchalant. "Have Ibilie show you her play." Naevu cleared his throat in disagreement.

"Perfect Aephisaer," squeaked Ibilie, squeezing Saeron. Her breasts bounced as if happy on their own accord.

"What's that?" asked Saeron.

"Ephasir, she means," said Aelea, then repeating the name slowly to Ibilie. Years in Athsarion hadn't assisted her pronunciation. "She does these private plays for me. Gives her a chance to sing and dance. Our professor's tragedy caught her attention, Naevu."

"I play Caelarie," said Ibilie, proud. She struck a pose, covering her face with one hand to mimic a mask. "She is so powerful. Come see." She tugged on Saeron's arm, he didn't budge.

"Zelarri," Saeron corrected. Then, with slumped shoulders, he said, "I don't want to be Ephasir. Please, father."

Ibilie rose up on tiptoes, softly speaking Siran in his ear. Saeron's face burned red as a berry. "We play love," she said.

"A lot of love," agreed Aelea, stifling a laugh. A look of uncertainty and discomfort gave Naevu reason enough to interject, but the High Ward silenced him. "Deep love."

Saeron held his ground. "But it's not love. Zelarri didn't love Ephasir. His life was degrading, one sided. He gave everything for nothing in return. She lied to him. I don't want to play his life. It's destructive, depressing."

Ibilie frowned. "It does end sad," she said.

"Not entirely true. The prince delayed the inevitable. Without his sacrifice, we wouldn't be here today," said Naevu. "Not all bad."

"Still a disgusting relationship," said Saeron. He averted his eyes from Aelea, intentions clear. More respect for the girl than Naevu'd thought.

"You're wrong, Saeron. Zelarri did love Ephasir, but not in the way you know. Not traditional, as Ephasir loved her. Zelarri was a lot of things, but she was nothing if not a wonderful mother. Her children were her life, as much as power."

Saeron curled his lip.

"She used the tools available to her. To protect. To nurture. It happened to be her body, her sex, which raised him into the man she desired. A man who would fight for her, for what he loved. In a way we owe her licentiousness quite a lot. It was a different love, Saeron. But it was love. Human beings will do far more for this parental love than could ever be understood without seeing into their minds."

"An interesting observation, Naevu," cooed Aelea. A devious smirk formed on her lips, curled so tightly.

In Savirai, he told her, "Do it."

After several false starts I am hereby making a sincere commitment to playing as Ethir and I'm making this a priority over running a NES of my own.

I've got no illusions that Ethir is a small and shrunken country in a tricky situation ;) but no matter what happens it seems like a good way to get started with N3S.

Spoiler :
I have finals this week, so sadly this is all I can write until the weekend.

- The Crippled Prince -

Interlude - Water

"What is that? You say the Cripple is a god?" The girl toyed with her black hair, uncertainly running it through her fingers as she trailed one of her feet in the brook. "Mama said there are no gods. The Sado told her."

"There is a secret truth, child, that these ones do not see." The older man tested the springiness of his bow, giving a little hum of satisfaction at the result. A yellow-green smear of olive oil appeared on his fingers, poured out of a gourd that hung on his belt, and he began to work it up and down the bow. "Every Satar believes in his heart that he is a god." His fingers brushed up and down, with and against the grain.

"Everyone gods? That makes no sense." The girl picked up an ash-wood spear, and took two tentative steps, one foot perched on a small stone around which the current swirled, and another on the river bank. She crouched, experimentally, hefting the spear and waiting for the approach of an oblivious fish.

"You are right. It makes no sense. After all, if everyone is a god, then no one is."

"So...what, then?" She gave out a little warcry and stabbed at a flickering shadow beneath the water. The only reward from this endeavor was a spatter of water on her shift. The mouth visible behind the hole in her crude wooden mask resolved into a pout. Her father watched with a benevolent smile, being careful not to laugh. "That was a good try," he said.

The man drew an arrow, a length of slender rope knotted around the shaft. "Tell me, little one," and he drew back the bow fluidly and fired it seemingly at random into the water. A second passed, and he jerked the taut rope upward, sending a dappled orange venzu fish flying into the air, impaled on the shaft of the arrow. He caught it, grasping it ruthlessly in his hand, pulled out a paring knife and sliced off its head in a smooth motion. Its struggles soon ended without a brain to direct them.

"What do you feel?" He looked at her wide eyes as he pulled the arrowshaft out of the dead fish. She had never seen her father do this particular trick. "Awe, admiration, a little fear?" Slowly, she nodded.

"So, do you understand now?"

The girl jumped off her precarious perch and into the shallow water, the edges of her shift floating on the surface like a lilypad. "Gods can do special things. People who do special things...are they gods? Or do people just call them gods?"

"Well, that is the question, little one," said her father. "But whether you agree with the Satar, or with your mama's Sado, relies on a different question."

Zna smiled. "Does it matter?"

The girl stared at the rough fabric of her brown shift, undulating with the current. "Small gods, tall gods, gods gods gods," she said in a singsong voice. Zna turned to regard the beheaded fish. He wiped a smear of blood off his fingers onto the side of his leg. "All things under Shadow," he said to the fish.

---

You are brought to an underground cistern, filled by the trickling of a copper pipe from an aqueduct far above countless layers of rock, and surrounded by statues of letora, stone faced water guardians. Hooded figures are all about you, around the depths of the pool, but no menace, as each one grasps your arms in friendship. There is the shock of seeing a naked face underneath the red hood, and it belongs to a voice you are accustomed to hearing at court or vedas. "Hope for men," they all say.

You see Arexas Kelekephi, Venari Velexi, Etadevas-ta-Eshvai. You hear the voices of guard captains, scribes, procurers, court slaves. You are impressed at the depth of the conspiracy and annoyed at your inability to detect it.

The incense has begun to sink in. There is the dull throb of hearing your heart in your head. The chanting voice seems to stretch and slow as the edges of objects gain a bright, fuzzy outline. Finally, the needle is passed to you, a drop of bright, viscous fuschia on a tiny silver hook. Your lips mumble the words of confession and the needle presses through the skin of your tongue.

You are Sighted.

You are a star looking over the endless steppe.

You are crippled no more.

You are in a tent, watching two figures speak. One has a mask of silver, the other of gold.

"They will die, by your hand or by nature," says the man in gold. The golden man is tall, broad, larger than life. "What are their lives next to the chosen? You could not outweigh a horse with a thousand thousand grains of sand."

"Is that what you say, then, father?" says the younger man, his voice trembling on the edge of rage. "That their lives are worthless grains of sand? They are PEOPLE, father, people you drove into the sea like animals."

The great figure stares at his son with pitiless eyes.

"The tribes need this land and this food. I will murder any man to feed my tribe. To feed my son, and my sons' sons."

"I will bear no children if they are born into your reign of blood," spits the son.

"Hashaskor will be his name, and of him will come a nation," says the father.

Things change, places change. You are sitting in a chair in a endless field of grass under an unspeakable dome of stars. In the sky, you see two figures of cloud and starlight, vast beyond imagining, swinging spectral weapons at each other. One is red, and the other is white.

"Do you not SEE, Eshi!" says the white one, his voice crackling with fanaticism. "Death IS life! The masks show us the way. Sons look like fathers, daughters like mothers. The cycle contains us, confines us. Help me BREAK IT," he said, and their swords clash again with a flare of light that threatens to break the sky in half.

"The only thing that has broken is your mind, false Oracle," says the grim voice of the woman. And she presses her attack.

"It has begun, and it cannot be stopped. The pure spirits will grow in number until the day of the War on Earth. Taleldil will fall to earth like a star, and Heaven and Earth will become one. We will be at His side, you and I, together."

"Heaven...and Earth..." the woman growls, straining to repel the vast blade of starlight. "are not...your...TOYS!"

Things change once more, and you are looking into the face of a woman standing under the dome of the Sephashim, except that there is an lemon tree planted in the middle that you know should not be there. It is impossible to tell her age. Perhaps she is old, or young. Unlike the others, she seems to know of your existence, and she is staring directly into your eyes.

"Love is knowing what's best," she says, and her voice is as sultry and significant as a snake coiling around your leg. "If you love them, don't be afraid to give them what they need." She walks towards you. She is not careless or crass enough to touch you, but she knows you are imagining it, and conveys that knowledge with every aspect of her posture and the look in her eyes. "Even if they don't know they need it."

"I have come to love the games those Cyve boys play. But they don't know love. Only friendship, and sex, and they confuse it for the two."

"Love," she purrs, "is slavery." She pulls a lemon off the tree and bites slowly into the peel, then swallows it. "It is bitter, and painful, and you can never escape."

Her lips curve into a smile that makes you want to offer to die for her. "Make them love you, crippled boy. Then they will burn for you."

Flip of Fate

Part One

Seagulls cawed and gracefully flew against the ocean's water and the sun's light was radiating a plethora of colors. On one of the piers outside the Agnato Gy Kbrillma Harbor was a foreign merchant.

It was almost time for the merchant to leave the harbor and set sail back to his homeland. But he looked to his left and saw a stall whose owner was selling frankincense and myrrh.

He said to himself, "well it wouldn't be that much of a big deal if I had my crew members wait for me a little bit longer. After all, Rihnit Frankincense and Myrrh is extremely high quality."

Walking up to the stall the foreign merchant said, "I see you're selling frankincense and myrrh! How much is it per bag?"

Picking up the handful sized bag the salesman replied, "it's 10 yetalge per bag."

"Yetalge?"

"You're not from around here are you?"

"No"

"Figured, but yetalge is our currency. Here, I'll be nice and show you what they look like."

The salesman opened a strongbox under his stall and pulled out several different items. He placed them all along the counter. He then explained, "The small white scallop on the far right is a ko'yetalge. The small obsidian bead next to the ko'yetalge is an ar'yetalge. One ar'yetalge is equivalent to ten ko'yetalge. Left of the ar'yetalge
is a ji'yetalge. A ji'yetalge is a green glass bead. Ten ko'yetalge is worth one ji'yetalge and it takes twenty five ko'yetalge to equal one ji'yetalge. The emerald next to the ji'yetalge is a nas'yetalge. One nas'yetalge is worth twenty five ji'yetalge, fifty ar'yetalge and a hundred ko'yetalge. On the far left of my stall is a yan'yetalge. A yan'yetalge is made of gold and is worth twenty five nas'yetalge, seventy five ji'yetalge, one hundred ar'yetalge and three hundred ko'yetalge."

"Interesting, I'll have to talk to some of my crew members to see if they have any yetalge."

"Very well, I'll be waiting here. But don't take too long as I'm going to close shop soon."

The foreign merchant looked towards the pier and saw that a thick fog had started to shroud the ocean.

He then said silently before running towards where his ship was "oh crap!"

Once he saw the ship was gone he ran up to the salesman and screamed, "why did you lecture to me about your stupid currency?!? My crew took my ship and left me!"

"I was telling you about our currency because without it you can't purchase anything I'm sellling. Also consider it a blessing you didn't board that ship."

"What do you mean?"

"What I mean is that most anybody who decides to sail when the fog's like this is a dead man."

"What?!? You mean I'm stuck in these boonies?!?"

"First off, I'd hardly call this the boonies and secondly, even if this a "boonie" it's still better than being cut apart by the ocean rock towers while drowning at the same time. Trust me you should consider yourself to be very lucky."

A large bell rang and the salesman said to himself, "I haven't heard one of those bells in a long time."

Looking at the foreign merchant the salesman said, "you should come with me to this event."

"I suppose since I might as well since I've got nowhere else to go."

The merchant and salesman walked off the port's piers and onto a stone path.

Top Bottom