BOTM 79 First Spoiler - 1AD

Deckhand

Procrastination at its finest
GOTM Staff

BOTM 79 First Spoiler - 1AD

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 79 (Brasil in the World Cup), then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1ADin your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry, OR
  • You have abandoned your game and will not submit.

Posting Restrictions
Please do not discuss anything that happened after 1AD.
Please do not discuss modern era resource locations (Copper and Iron are OK).
Please do not divulge your final result if that happened after 1AD.
Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

---------------------------------
What Soccer / Futball / World Cup associations did you notice?

Spoiler :
World is a Ball,
Double Eliminations (Civs start with 2 cities at opposite ends of field,
Civs are Teams led by coaches
Spoiler :
Homer is a nod to neil's BOTM73, so I didn't rename him

anything else?

What save did you take?
Where did you put your first cities?
Did I make it too easy? Doh! :king:
I gave you expansive and financial to help with the flood plains. :cool:
I don't expect to hear any complaints about Plains Cow (or Dry Wheat) :lol:

Very fun game (through 1AD) thank you. I guess I could have looked up the soccer ball map first but enjoyed finding how it worked. The start was very generous to say the least!

I settled 2W1N thinking that would leave the best potential for additional cities. When I realized how far off the other civs were I skipped any military focus and just built things up as best I could. I settled my 2nd city 1SE of the starting settler in 2400bc and the 3rd city 3SW of the starting settler in 1800bc. At 1 AD I had 6 cities, 34 population and was almost done researching paper.

No war at all so far but I'm well ahead in tech. Figure to just go for knights or curris and then roll over everyone.

Well, this is a very innovative start – thanks Deckhand! :goodjob:

I settled on the marble – even though it put lots of desert in the BFC I couldn’t resists a 3H city square. 2nd city went SW of the stone, to pick up resources from the central area (at the cost of massive overlap with the capital), and 3rd city in an amazing floodplain spot S of the starting area. That's going to be my future capital. It has no production so God knows how I'm going to find any hammers to build a palace there, but – hey – 17 flood plains to put towns on!!!!! :drool:

At 1AD I have 8 cities - 2 in the central area, 4 in the surrounding floodplains, and 2 in the grasslands to the SW. As you can see from the attached image, I still know very little about the map beyond the desert area – too much barb-infested open space to explore with scouts, and no horses. But I've seen enough places to settle for now so exploring isn't a priority. I've met all the AIs – America to the SW was first. But I have only the vaguest idea where most of them are. Evidently they are all too far away to worry about.

With all the flood plains, teching has been very fast. And just before 1AD I noticed that (a) I can research paper, and (b) no one has built the Oracle yet. So I'm 4 turns away from both, and hoping that I might be able to Oracle education. That's something I've never before pulled off in all my Civ-playing days, but hopefully this time…

And hopefully once I have paper, I'll be able to trade some maps and discover what the world is like, then I can decide how to play the rest of the game!

Attachments

• Botm79 1AD.gif
    Botm79 1AD.gif
    179.2 KB · Views: 109
10 cities teching edu.
no AI have alpha yet...
meet them all.
I feel like driving a formula I in a stock car race!

oracled CS but maybe could be even greedier and oracled edu instead.
I made a mistake by building a shrine while i could have bulbed philo with it if i waited some turns.

great map, great theme. slightly too easy but still. Thank you for the game.
Still have to figure how to finish this game...

12 cities here and some settlers on the way

i built great wall and stonehenge at start, since i fugured there will be lots of barbarians around and for quick culture and expansion.

voluntary spoiler because i have scauted a bit more then some others here
Spoiler :

i have a ring of cities around the end of the desert, penetrating deeper where possible, now settling inward cities along floodplains

i think i gave the ai a hard time with this map setup and GW, they really seem stunted and confused.

i am researching code of laws, then construction. i will think about what to do next after the settling race is over.
probably start taking some barb cities.

i feel like trying some peacfull victory but i will see

Cleaver idea for the map. Too bad the 2 city AI civ's nerfed the difficulty level. This game feels like a noble game if it was not for the barb intrusions. I tried to keep peaceful but carelessly dowed Van Gaal(WvO) when I moved a warrior on to 2 of his workers.

I realized fairly early that the GW would come in handy with all roads lading to Brazil but tried to delay it to get my 7th city when someone else built it with 1 turn to go in the capital. We did the CS sling early in the 3rd city and built the Mids and Glib in the capital.

Not sure what kind of game I am planning but will wait and see. At the cut off we are about to Start Edu and have Music (GA), Calendar and Construction.

Cleaver idea for the map. Too bad the 2 city AI civ's nerfed the difficulty level. This game feels like a noble game if it was not for the barb intrusions. I tried to keep peaceful but carelessly dowed Van Gaal(WvO) when I moved a warrior on to 2 of his workers.

In principle I'd imagine that you could fix that by starting the AIs with lots of gold, though it would be hard to judge how much would balance out the level. My rough guess would be, something like enough gold to pay for 50 turns of maintenance might do it. You'd end up with the AIs researching very fast at the beginning and then suddenly slowing down (when they've used up their gold), which could seem odd, but might restore the difficulty level. I guess you'd also have to start them with an extra worker to satisfy their desire to waste workers building roads across the continent.

^^
Yeah they did love to build roads, right through the center of the Donut for that matter. :lol: It was very hard not doing worker stealing in this game.

I am guessing that 2 city start was also a trap to see who would jump to capture one or two and find their tech rate dropping off like a rock in a deep pond.

I still can not figure what kind of win I want to pursue. May be space, back to my favorite.

In principle I'd imagine that you could fix that by starting the AIs with lots of gold, though it would be hard to judge how much would balance out the level. My rough guess would be, something like enough gold to pay for 50 turns of maintenance might do it. You'd end up with the AIs researching very fast at the beginning and then suddenly slowing down (when they've used up their gold), which could seem odd, but might restore the difficulty level. I guess you'd also have to start them with an extra worker to satisfy their desire to waste workers building roads across the continent.

how about having their cities connected from the start?

It was very hard not doing worker stealing in this game.
Like taking candy from a baby - sorry, I couldn't resist. :yumyum: I stole 9 so far, leaving me only Homer as a friend. :crazyeye:

Settled on the stone, but I do consider my first ever move of capital. Maybe I should follow DS's idea, I've got a city east of the capital with 18 fp where I'm currently building a watermill, that's one extra hammer atm. :lol:

At 1AD I have 14 cities and 2 settlers on the road, research is good, at 15% I maintain about 30 bpt. :hmm:

Lots of room, I will (over)expand and then take the barb cities. :D AI is expanding slowly, Portugal has 6 cities, the rest is at 3 or 4.

I built Stonehenge and a late (so I thought ;)) Oracle (700bc, CS-sling) with loads of fail gold, same story with Pyramids (75bc)!

^^
Hey Z3, congrats on new Ept in nilla.

Candy :lol: funny. BTW, what else could you call it? Some AI had 2 workers all by them selves in the middle of nowhere and begging to be stolen.

Thing with unhealthy is that it takes too long to grow but once those flood plain cities are up and running, they are badass. It is almost time to get back to that game.

In a truly brazilian style I started this game very late.

And like our leaders in real life, I didn't care much for economy and efficiency but as of 1AD I have expanded to 12 cities which will house the WCup soccer stadiums. And still like RL I have no idea when and if they be ready in time for the event! I haven't even learned how to build those ;) BTW a special award for the first player to build 12 stadiums would be nice. :)

I oracled MC and built GW and GLib. Teched up to CS and Machinery, will build some macemen to capture some 4/5 barb cities next. Hopefully will find time to finish and submit this fun game.

Challenger save.

Plan : culture
I wanted both gold and silver and I planned to have two hammer cities for building wonders on either size of the Oasis pair.
I settled the marble side of the Oasis first (because it's more important for culture games), then settled east of the Oasis.

Oracled CS.

As soon as I found van Gaal's 2nd city, but his capital was no where to be found, I guessed they were on opposite sides of the donut.

Then when I saw two Aussie workers coming thru my land early, it was confirmed (and I stole them :assimilate:)

I should be able to make a ton of artists in the surrounding floodplains.

Top Bottom