Mars colonisation mod (WIP)

Iridescent Rain

Chieftain
Hi! I couldn't find a thread with specific rules on where to post mods and/or request help, but I believe this is the place to do it; I apologise in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong place and, if I am, would be thankful if a moderator/administrator could point it out and move the thread to its appropriate place.

I've been working on a Mars mod for Civ V for a little while now. I haven't done any coding or anything yet, just brainstorming, but i do have a complete list of things I'd like to implement in the mod and I've been slowly ticking a few items off. I have G&K but not BNW (and, considering Beyond Earth is coming out in just a few more months, I'm not sure I'll buy BNW, but surprises might happen), so any mod I could possibly create would be compatible with G&K (and maybe, but probably not, vanilla).

My mod is meant to be a complete replacement: every tech, building, unit, wonder, terrain type, resource, etc will be replaced with Mars-appropriate alternatives. I'm aware of a mod called "Red Planet" (I think) which replaces the terrain textures with beautiful Mars-like ones and adds a water-ice luxury (or is it bonus?) resource, but I believe that's all it does (maybe it also adds a few techs, but it's otherwise not really useful for a Mars-colonisation game). I'm thinking something like the old "Mars, now!" scenario, which I absolutely loved back when I had a computer capable of running Civ II. Not that I'd make an exact copy of it; there are many aspects of that mod I'd change, but there are also things I'd take from it... and, anyway, my point is that said mod changed everything in the game (and even added a few random events), not just a thing or two.

I'm posting this because, as te "Modiquette" thread states, nobody can possibly pull off a big mod by themselves; I'm in need of help, especially with everything graphics-related, so I'll be really thankful if anyone wants to work with me.

The following is my to-do list:
  1. :c5food: Map of Mars (need huge map)
    • Terrain types (missing a few textures; can't get movement costs right, water is an issue)
    • Resources (modding in process)
    • Natural wonders (haven't started modding yet)
    • A note on starting places and development speed (missing game start year & years per turn)
    • Old Mars explorers (brainstorming stage)
  2. :c5capital: Civs
    • Leader names, icons & diplomacy screens (missing all graphics; haven't decided on leader names yet)
    • Unique abilities, buildings & units (brainstorming stage)
    • City names (only Arabia is done so far)
  3. :c5science: Technologies
    • Eras (having trouble renaming eras)
    • Techs (first version finished; under revision)
    • City-style progression (missing all graphics)
  4. :c5culture: Social stuff
    • Social policies (brainstorming stage)
    • Religion replacement (no idea what this will be)
  5. :c5production: Buildable stuff
    • Terrain improvements (brainstorming stage)
    • Units (brainstorming stage)
    • Great units (brainstorming stage)
    • Buildings (brainstorming stage)
    • National wonders (brainstorming stage)
    • World wonders (brainstorming stage)
  6. :c5moves: Events
    • Appearance and expansion of photosynthetic organisms (need to learn Lua first)
    • The flooding of Mars (need to learn Lua first)
  7. :c5razing: Victory conditions
    • Domination victory (need to learn Lua to force players to capture all cities, not only capitals)
    • Diplomatic victory (need to decide on UN replacement wonder)
    • Science victory (brainstorming stage)
    • Cultural victory (will there be any?)
I'll address each list item in the following posts. Please let me know if you'd like to help. Suggestions and comments are also welcome, as well as corrections or notes about anything I've missed or got wrong.

I'm obviously missing almost every text string, including everything that goes in the civilopaedia. I figure that's the last thing I'll do.

Thanks in advance! And special thanks to Nutty for all his help with the programming.

Colour code:
Thanks/credits
Most work done but still incomplete
Still missing most work

I know there are two or three maps of a terraformed Mars out there. However, when the first settlers land on Mars it's obviously not going to be terraformed, so I'd rather make my own Mars map for this mod. I do plan on letting the progress of the terraforming effort (which will be one of the two main player objectives, the other one being winning the game through domination or through some other victory condition) show through, so I hope to be able to change the map dynamically based on things like techs and world wonders -- but more on this later.

My point is that I'd like this mod to have its own map of Mars (as realistic as possible), not use the existing maps. If anyone wants to help out with mapbuilding, I'd be very grateful, as I'm on a Mac and modmaking support is minimal to nonexistent for Macs (and I really don't want to start on a random map and then edit it tile by tile with the IGE mod). The map size should be huge and a true likeness of Mars and include all the terrain types, resources and natural wonders detailed below.

Map missing

In addition to possible (but not absolutely necessary) help with the map, I'm in need of help with terrain textures, resource icons, resource textures, natural-wonder icons and natural-wonder textures.

a. Terrain types

Mars, obviously, has completely different ecosystems to those of Earth. Today, most of it is a barren desert (littered with rocks and stones in some places), yet the evidence that liquid water once existed on its surface and sculpted many of its most prominent features is overwhelming and there are numerous underground water-ice deposits. The north pole is permanently covered in water ice, while the south pole's water ice is covered by a thick layer of carbon-dioxide ice. In addition, an enormous amount of craters and quite a few mountains dot the surface.

Below is a list of terrain types I came up with. It is divided into two parts: the first contains the "basic" terrain (snow, tundra, grassland, plains and desert in the original game), and the second contains the "additional" terrain types (forest, hills, etc).

A note on some of the terrain types: Water, lichen, grassland and forest can only exist when Mars is terraformed. If all the coding I have in mind is possible, a few key (mid-game) technologies and world wonders will trigger the appearance of tiles where photosynthetic organisms (first lichen, then plants such as grass and trees) exist and these tiles will then expand on their own (simulating the growth and reproduction of the photosynthetic organisms) as the game progresses, eventually leading to a green Mars. Water tiles (i.e. liquid water in stable form on the surface of Mars) will come in the late game only, and the water will obviously not expand or recede.

Nutty has kindly pointed out that the aforementioned terrain types need to be features in order for them to update dynamically (i.e. without a game reload). There's a table of features (and their ID numbers) on this post. Unfortunately, only five terrain features (and no terrain types) update dynamically. This means that water must be a feature, not a terrain type. I'm worried the coastlines will be impossible to get right, but this must be investigated further. The melting of the polar caps doesn't require ice to be an additional feature which then disappears; changing the ice tiles to water (i.e. adding the "water" feature to them) is all that's needed.

Nutty has also been extremely helpful with all sorts of help with Civ 5 files.

Basic terrain types:
  • Water ice
    • Yield: 1 food
    • Movement cost: 2 (missing)
    • strategic-view texture doesn't show up
  • Carbon-dioxide ice
    • Yield: none
  • Permafrost
    • Yield: 1 food, 1 production
    • Movement cost: 1
    • textures taken from the "Red planet" mod
  • Dune desert
    • Yield: 1 production
  • Rock desert
    • Yield: 1 production
  • Water
    • Yield: 2 food
    • must turn into feature
Additional terrain types:
  • Hill
    • Occurs on: water ice, carbon-dioxide ice, permafrost, dune desert, rock desert
    • Yield: as base terrain
    • Movement-cost increment: 1
  • Mountain
    • Yield: none
    • Movement-cost increment: impassable
  • Crater
    • Yield bonus: none
    • Movement cost: impassable (missing)
    • normal-view texture missing
    • strategic-view texture not showing up
  • Lichen
    • Occurs on: permafrost, dune desert, rock desert
    • Yield bonus: +1 food
    • Movement-cost increment: none
    • normal-view texture taken from the "Red planet" mod
    • strategic-view texture taken from the "Alpha Centauri maps" mod
  • Grassland
    • Yield bonus: 3 food
    • Movement-cost increment: none
    • normal-view texture not showing up
  • Forest
    • Yield bonus: 2 food, 1 production
    • Movement-cost increment: 1
Terrain icons (for the civilopaedia) missing

Minimap land graphics not showing up

b. Resources

There are three types of resources in Civ V: bonus resources (which only provide a yield bonus), luxury resources (which also provide a happiness bonus when acquired) and strategic resources (which do not provide a happiness bonus but are required to build certain things). The following lists are what I have come up with.

There are few resources of each kind on Mars. I believe these reflect the sort of useful compounds and elements colonisers might find there, but in game terms there will be a noticeable happiness deficit (at least in the early game) due to the limited variety of luxury resources. To counter this, I wonder whether it would be possible to eliminate the +4 happiness each luxury resource gives and instead assign a +2 happiness bonus to each occurrence of each luxury resource (so if I have 3 cobalt mines I get 3x2=6 happiness from them; if +2 per occurrence is too much, perhaps it could be +1, although with the planned rate of expansion in the early game (severely limited; see section d) I doubt +2 will be a problem). Perhaps this could be achieved by setting luxury resources as bonus resources with a +2 happiness yield instead; hopefully more-skilled coders can enlighten me on this. Alternatively, if anyone can think of some other way to counter the luxury-resource-scarcity-induced happiness deficit, I'm all ears.

Bonus resources:
  • Buried nitrogen
    • Rarity: common
    • Occurs on: dune desert
    • Improvement: missing
    • Becomes visible at: Element extraction
    • Becomes exploitable at: Element extraction
  • Glass
    • Occurs on: dune desert, rock desert
    • Yield bonus: +1 gold
    • Becomes visible at: game start
    • Becomes exploitable at: Mining
  • Granite
    • Rarity: uncommon
    • Occurs on: rock desert
    • Yield bonus: +1 production
    • Becomes visible at: game start
  • Buried ice
    • Occurs on: crater (mid-latitude, high-latitude and polar regions only)
    • Becomes visible at: Drilling
    • Becomes exploitable at: Ice extraction
Luxury resources:
  • Cobalt
    • Becomes visible at: Local geology
  • Copper
  • Gold
    • Yield bonus: +2 gold
  • Magnesium
  • Opal
    • Occurs on: dune desert
    • Yield bonus: +1 gold
    • Becomes exploitable at: Drilling
  • Organic compounds
    • Rarity: rare
    • Becomes visible at: Element extraction
    • Becomes exploitable at: Deep mining
Strategic resources:
  • Aluminium
    • Yield bonus: +2 production
  • Palladium
    • Yield bonus: +1 production, +1 gold
    • Becomes visible at: Mining
  • Perchlorates
    • Occurs on: dune desert, crater (mid-latitude, high-latitude and polar regions only)
    • Yield bonus: +1 production, +1 gold
  • Thorium
    • Occurs on: dune desert, rock desert, crater
    • Becomes visible at: Deep mining
  • Titanium
    • Occurs on: dune desert, rock desert (only in the southern highlands)
    • Yield bonus: +2 production
    • Becomes visible at: Mining
  • Uranium
    • Occurs on: dune desert, rock desert, crater
    • Becomes visible at: Deep mining

c. Natural wonders

There are several important locations on Mars. Many of these (such as Valles Marineris, Olympus Mons, the Hellas Basin and the Argyre Basin) are extremely large and cannot possibly fit into a single tile on a huge map, but the tiles with the natural wonders (which give happiness and special yields and so on) should be placed at the most important part of each feature (for instance, the Olympus Mons natural-wonder tile could be placed at the tip of Olympus Mons and the Hellas-Basin natural-wonder tile could be placed at the centre of the Hellas Basin).

The following is a list of the natural wonders which can be found on Mars. Most of them are very large and important mountains, craters or canyons. Notice the strong culture yields; it is only obvious (to me at least) that any Martian civilisations will be attracted to these places and treat them as cultural and national symbols (and perhaps even holy sites). The yield of the Da Vinci Crater natural wonder, conversely, is not an attempt at reflecting the possible cultural significance of the crater (it's just another crater, after all), but rather a nod at the Da Vinci research team from Kim Stanley Robinson's excellent Mars trilogy.

No modding work has been done on this section.

Natural wonders:
  • Olympus Mons
    • Yield: 10 culture, 5 happiness
  • Ascraeus Mons
    • Yield: 6 culture, 3 happiness
  • Pavonis Mons
  • Arsia Mons
  • Elysium Mons
    • Yield: 4 culture, 2 happiness
  • Hecates Tholus
    • Yield: 2 culture, 1 happiness
  • Albor Tholus
  • Alba Patera
  • Valles Marineris
    • Yield: 8 culture, 4 happiness, 2 science
  • Noctis Labyrinthus
    • Yield: 2 culture, 1 happiness, 3 science
  • Hellas Basin
    • Yield: 8 culture, 4 happiness
  • Argyre Basin
  • Da Vinci Crater
    • Yield: 6 science

d. A note on starting places and development speed

All civs are meant to start in the north polar region (because of this, there should not be many civs in a game using this mod, but then not many nations are capable of developing a Mars-colonisation programme (however, I'd like to include all of the vanilla and G&K civs in case someone wants to play this as a sequel to the great game they just won as whatever civilisation they like the most)).

Initially, progress should be slow: just enough food to support a 2- or 3-citizen colony and maybe a 1- or 2-citizen second colony, relatively little production, no plans for expansion, no trade, very little resource-mining, and definitely no viable wars. In the event that a civ decides to spread and build a second colony, said colony will be unable to survive out of the north polar region, where there is water ice readily available. At this point, it should all be about survival and about acquiring a technological advantage over your neighbours so you can later be the dominant nation. bouncymischa has suggested making famine an actual in-game threat, not just a flavour for the tough times the colonisers must be facing at this point. I haven't thought about how to implement this threat, but a more drastic version of the "Health & plague" mod is likely a good place to start.

As the game progresses and Mars becomes warmer and acquires a thicker atmosphere, civs should slowly be able to begin expanding. The development of mining technologies should make resource-acquisition viable, at least for the more common resources, and the rudiments of what makes a true civilisation can begin to be seen. Colonies should remain near the north polar region, but they should now be able to grow a little larger than before and they should be able to survive at lower latitudes.

Once photosynthetic organisms begin to populate Mars, both food and oxygen will become available. This will be the first major turning point in the colonisation of Mars, and a drastic change in game speed should reflect this. Self-sustainable cities (notice how I used the word "cities" as opposed to "colonies" this time) should begin to appear, one of them should be declared the new capital (because your headquarters can't forever stay in the cramped, resource-poor colony you established upon landing), and a strong southwards migration should occur. Trade, diplomacy and all those consequences of civilised life should finally start to appear, and the first culture points (and therefore cultural policies) should be acquired by this time (there should be zero culture gain prior to this point).

Mars's northern hemisphere lies three or four kilometres lower than its southern hemisphere, so when water is finally available the northern hemisphere will turn into a vast ocean and the southern highlands will remain dry (save for two enormous seas (Hellas and Argyre) and any number of smaller craters-turned-lakes). Therefore, by this point civs should have reached the highlands and established at least one city there if they don't want to disappear when the water floods their old lands. This should be a very interesting point in the game, especially because different civs will be at different points in the tech tree and will therefore be affected differently. On one hand, the overnight disappearance of most cities and colonies should be a severe setback for everyone; on the other hand, expansion will be quick and efficient from that point onwards, as there will now be grasslands, forests and water for everyone. I expect there to be important power shifts at this point.​

e. Old Mars explorers

I'm thinking of actually having goody huts in my mod, contrary to my initial thought on this. (Still no barbarians, though.) Obviously, goody huts would need to be renamed (and would need new graphics), since no ancient civilisations have existed on Mars. They could be old, broken-down machines we've sent to Mars (the Vikings, Spirit & Opportunity, Phoenix, Curiosity, maybe a Mars Express which fell into the planet, and so on). The bonuses would also have to be reworked, of course. What do you think?​

This is perhaps the aspect I have given the least thought to (I've been occupied with most of the other things... and with real life). I'd like civs to stick to their themes and thus feel like the logical evolutions of the civs which originally populated (and fought for dominion of) Earth, but this isn't always easy to do.

a. Leader names, icons & diplomacy screens

Leader names (and their respective icons) are probably the easiest bit (with their diplomacy screens and moving leaders probably a trivial thing to brainstorm but a titanic thing to create). However, because I've spent relatively little time thinking about this, I haven't decided on any of them. Therefore, I'm open to suggestions. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to use national-space-organisation CEOs/leaders for civs which exist in the modern world and have a space programme and important astronomers for civs which don't have a space programme or don't even exist anymore... but I'm not entirely convinced by that idea.

I'd greatly appreciate any help with everything graphics-related here.

Missing all leader names, icons, diplomacy screens & "dawn of man" texts

b. Unique abilities, buildings & units

I don't have any ideas for unique buildings or units yet because I need to finish planning out all the standard buildings and units first. However, I have started to work on unique abilities (although I'm still missing most of them). The full list of civs in G&K (including the DLC I have) follows, along with the unique abilities I've thought of.

As I mentioned earlier, I'd like the unique abilities to reflect what a civ was good at on Earth but taken to (and adapted to life on) another planet. For instance, I'd like Carthage to have a free bonus to something that allows trade routes (such as harbours on Earth) and be able to pass through mountains upon acquisition of the first great general, but, with no water on Mars for most of the game, the free harbours need to be replaced by something else. Some civs (such as Ethiopia) have unique abilities directly portable to a Mars-colonisation situation, while others (such as Germany) need complete unique-ability makeovers (there are no barbarians on Mars).

The Huns' unique ability makes reference to the Terraformation Era. For more on this, see the post about technologies and eras.

• Arabia
    • Unique ability: Trade caravans
      • +1 gold from trade routes
      • luxury resources provide double quantity, meaning Arabia can trade a luxury resource immediately upon acquisition instead of having to find a second occurence of that resource
    • missing unique units and/or buildings
  • Austria
    • missing unique ability
  • The Aztecs
    • missing unique ability
  • Babylon
    • missing unique ability
  • Byzantium
    • missing unique ability
  • Carthage
    • missing unique ability
  • The Celts
    • missing unique ability
  • China
    • missing unique ability
  • Denmark
    • missing unique ability
  • Egypt
    • missing unique ability
  • England
    • missing unique ability
  • Ethiopia
    • Unique ability: Spirit of Adwa
      • 20% combat bonus vs units from civs with more colonies and cities than Ethiopia
  • France
    • missing unique ability
  • Germany
    • missing unique ability
  • Greece
    • missing unique ability
  • The Huns
    • Unique ability: Reapers of the land
      • raze cities at double speed
      • borrow city names from other in-game civs
      • +1 food per city with at least one [farm replacement] or terraformed (lichen, grassland or forest) tile once the Huns reach the Terraformation Era
  • The Inca
    • Unique ability: Great Arean road
      • units ignore terrain cost when moving into hills
      • no maintenance cost for improvements on hills and half maintenance cost for improvements elsewhere
  • India
    • missing unique ability
  • The Iroquois
    • missing unique ability
  • Japan
    • Unique ability: Bushido
      • units fight at full strength even when they are damaged
  • The Maya
    • Unique ability: The long count
      • receive a great person of your choice every Mayan long count (394 years); the great person must be different each time
  • Mongolia
    • missing unique ability
  • Netherlands
    • missing unique ability
  • The Ottomans
    • Unique ability: Barbary mercenaries
      • melee units can capture defeated units
      • melee units cost 1/3 the usual maintenance
  • Persia
    • Unique ability: Adaemenid legacy
      • golden ages last 50% longer
      • units receive +1 movement and +10% combat strength during golden ages
  • Polynesia
    • missing unique ability
  • Rome
    • missing unique ability
  • Russia
    • Unique ability: Arean riches
      • +1 production from strategic resources
      • strategic resources provide double quantity
  • Siam
    • missing unique ability
  • The Songhai
    • missing unique ability
  • Spain
    • missing unique ability
  • Sweden
    • missing unique ability
  • United States
    • missing unique ability
c. City names

I figured it would be logical for civs to name colonies and cities after their important scholars (especially astronomers, inventors and, where applicable, science-fiction writers). Going through lists of famous scholars from each civ and sorting them in order of importance (an order which is subjective anyway) is a titanic task, so I've only done Arabia and a few scholars from two other civs, but I'll get there eventually. I'll post the lists when I'm done; after that, if you notice I've missed an important scholar from a civ, please let me know.

Missing city names for all civs except Arabia

I still haven't finished working on the tech tree. I do have a (very) basic skeleton of it, though, and I'll base some (but not all) of the techs in this mod on some (but not all) of the techs from the "Mars, now!" Civ II mod.

a. Eras

Just as Civ V establishes a few (seven?) eras for real-world techs (the Ancient Era, the Classical Era, and so on), Mars-colonisation techs will be divided into five eras. They are as follows.

• Arrival Era
    • red Mars
    • Earth-dependent colonies (not really an in-game mechanic, but, as mentioned in my post about the map, terrain and development speed, early colonies shouldn't be able to grow very much or to act as full-fledged cities)
    • colonies confined to north polar region
    • no resource-gathering
    • units: primitive rovers
  • Colonisation Era
    • red Mars
    • partially self-sufficient colonies
    • colonies mainly in the north polar region
    • primitive resource-extraction
    • primitive terrain improvements (biodomes or something)
    • units: more-advanced vehicles, humans in suits
  • Warming Era
    • red-green Mars
    • lichen
    • warming techniques: orbital mirrors, controlled greenhouse effect, etc
    • units: humans with life-support systems
  • Terraformation Era
    • green Mars
    • lichen gives way to grasslands and forests
    • self-sufficient cities
    • cities all over Mars
    • advanced politics (defensive pacts, open borders, trade, espionage, etc)
    • advanced mining
  • Flooding Era
    • blue Mars
    • thick, human-friendly atmosphere
    • super-advanced technology: artificial global magnetic field, etc
    • humans can walk and breathe normally
    • animals
    • farms, etc
    • Martian culture and identity

b. Techs

This is the list of techs I've thought of (the list may be edited later; I'm open to ideas).

I use the word "tier" here to indicate which "column" a tech goes in the horizontal tech tree (techs farther right cost more to discover). For example, in normal Civ V, Agriculture is tier 1, Animal husbandry is tier 2, The wheel is tier 3, etc.

A few points from the era list above (such as the artificial global magnetic field) have been switched to a different era, but, again, this might me changed as the tech tree is edited.

As a final note before listing the techs, I'd like to mention that this tech list doesn't include techs specific to a social-policy branch (see my post on social stuff for more info on this); if it turns out to be possible to add branch-specific techs, I'll add these later.

Arrival-era technologies:
  • Tier 1
    • Arean geology
    • Telecommunications
    • Engineering
    • Physical chemistry
  • Tier 2
    • Geophysics (requires Arean geology)
    • Exploration (requires Arean geology)
    • Land-satellite communication (requires Telecommunications)
  • Tier 3
    • Drilling (requires Geophysics)
    • Orbital satellites (requires Land-satellite communication)
    • Robotic vehicles (requires Land-satellite communication & Engineering)
    • Advanced materials science (requires Physical chemistry)
  • Tier 4
    • Local geology (requires Drilling, Exploration & Orbital satellites)
    • Biomaterials (requires Advanced materials science)
  • Tier 5
    • Geothermal power (requires Drilling)
    • Advanced geologic studies (requires Local geology)
    • Aerogel (requires Engineering & Advanced materials science)
  • Tier 6
    • Element extraction (requires Advanced geologic studies & Robotic vehicles)
  • Tier 7
    • Ice extraction (requires Element extraction)
    • Haematite processing (requires Element extraction)
  • Tier 8
    • Life-support systems (requires Geothermal power, Ice extraction & Haematite processing)
    • Thermal insulators (requires Haematite processing, Aerogel & Biomaterials)
Colonisation-era technologies:
  • Tier 9
    • Meteorology (requires Geophysics)
    • Portable life support (requires Life-support systems & Thermal insulators)
    • Long-range vehicles (requires Thermal insulators)
    • Greenhouse farming (requires Thermal insulators)
  • Tier 10
    • Wind power (requires Meteorology)
    • Mining (requires Portable life support & Long-range vehicles)
    • Genetic engineering (requires Greenhouse farming)
  • Tier 11
    • Electrolysis (requires Mining)
    • Bioengineering (requires Genetic engineering & Biomaterials)
  • Tier 12
    • Methane fuel (requires Wind power & Electrolysis)
    • Hydrogen fuel (requires Electrolysis)
    • Oxygen storage (requires Electrolysis)
    • Advanced polymers (requires Electrolysis & Bioengineering)
  • Tier 13
    • Advanced exploration (requires Methane fuel)
    • Advanced geology (requires Methane fuel)
    • Mars orbital flight (requires Hydrogen fuel)
    • Self-sustaining colonies (requires Oxygen storage)
Warming-era technologies:
  • Tier 14
    • Manned land vehicles (requires Advanced exploration)
    • Controlled greenhouse effect (requires Advanced geology)
  • Tier 15
    • Deep mining (requires Manned land vehicles)
    • Manned air vehicles (requires Advanced exploration)
    • Large-scale warming (requires Controlled greenhouse effect & Mars orbital flight)
    • Bioelectricity generation (requires Bioengineering)
  • Tier 16
    • Trade (requires Deep mining & Manned air vehicles)
    • Interplanetary species introduction (requires Large-scale warming & Self-sustaining colonies)
  • Tier 17
    • Atmosphere oxygenation (requires Interplanetary species introduction & Advanced polymers)
  • Tier 18
    • Complex species (requires Atmosphere oxygenation)
    • Permanent magnetic fields (requires Atmosphere oxygenation & Bioelectricity generation)
Terraformation-era technologies:
  • Tier 19
    • Terraformation (requires Complex species & Permanent magnetic fields)
  • Tier 20
    • Politics (requires Trade & Terraformation)
    • Agriculture (requires Terraformation)
    • Advanced meteorology (requires Terraformation)
  • Tier 21
    • Espionage (requires Politics)
    • Labour law (requires Politics)
    • Mass media (requires Politics & Advanced meteorology)
    • Climate modelling (requires Advanced meteorology)
  • Tier 22
    • Asteroid mining (requires Labour law & Mass media)
  • Tier 23
    • Advanced robotics (requires Labour law)
    • Space elevators (requires Asteroid mining)
    • Phobos station (requires Asteroid mining)
    • Tectonic activation (requires Climate modelling)
  • Tier 24
    • Artificial intelligence (requires Advanced robotics)
    • Arean hydrology (requires Phobos station & Climate modelling)
    • Volcanic reactivation (requires Tectonic activation)
Flooding-era technologies:
  • Tier 25
    • Interplanetary travel (requires Space elevators)
    • Ecosystem design (requires Arean hydrology & Volcanic reactivation)
    • Atmosphere thickening (requires Volcanic reactivation)
  • Tier 26
    • Advanced computing (requires Artificial intelligence)
    • Trade with Earth (requires Interplanetary travel)
    • Animal population (requires Ecosystem design & Atmosphere thickening)
  • Tier 27
    • Mars globalisation (requires Advanced computing)
    • Migration from Earth (requires Advanced computing, Trade with Earth & Animal population)
    • Cloning (requires Animal population)
    • Transgenics (requires Animal population)
  • Tier 28
    • Advanced agriculture (requires Migration from Earth & Cloning)
    • Artificial organs (requires Cloning)
  • Tier 29
    • Regenerative medicine (requires Artificial organs & Transgenics)
    • Artificial life (requires transgenics)
  • Tier 30
    • Arean ethics (requires Mars globalisation, Migration from Earth & Regenerative medicine)
    • Rejuvenation treatment (requires Regenerative medicine)
  • Tier 31
    • Future technology (requires Arean ethics, Rejuvenation treatment & Artificial life)
I'll add what each tech unlocks when the buildable-stuff lists are ready. I'm working on that.​

c. City-style progression

Colonies and cities should, of course, reflect a civilisation's current era, just as they do in normal Civ (and, to some extent, in real life). Arrival-era colonies should be tiny, practical things formed by only a handful of structures. Colonisation-era colonies should be larger and look more like collections of tight living quarters, life-support systems, factories and extraction plants. Warming-era cities should be domed, futuristic-looking cities. Terraformation-era cities should be larger (but still domed) cities which look a little more futuristic and a little more at home on Martian soil. Finally, flooding-era cities should be sprawling metropolises which no longer need domes or any sort of life-support system.

I declare myself graphic-artistically incompetent, so I'll be extremely thankful if anyone wishes to take up this task.​

For lack of a better term, I'll use the phrase "social stuff" to denote the collection of issues which pertain to the way people in a nation live and are governed: social policies and religion.

a. Social policies

Social policies provide a way to customise your civilisation in Civ V. In BNW, ideologies were added as a way to further customise your civ (and to create a little more political intrigue); the mechanics are quite complex. In Civilization: Beyond Earth, ideologies are replaced by affinities (and now depend on research rather than on social policies).

I'd like social policies in this mod to lie somewhere in between BNW ideologies and Civ:BE affinities. While some of the policies should provide relatively small (but powerful if used intelligently) bonuses to civs, I'd like others to divide civs into different "development paths", so to speak (I'll give an example in a bit). In addition, social policies should be the logical successors of some of the Civ V policies.

I'll begin with the bit about successors. I really like how the last policy branches to be unlocked in vanilla and G&K (and the ideologies in BNW) represent the three major sociopolitical systems which coexisted in the (first half of the) twentieth century in real-life Earth: socialism/communism ("Order"), nazism/fascism ("Autocracy"), and democracy ("Freedom"). I'd like to add three policies (unlockable from the moment politics become important in the story of Mars colonisation, which would be the Terraformation Era) which feel like the logical successors to these three systems. So far, I've thought of the following:
  • Militarism (successor to Autocracy)
  • Technocracy (successor to Order)
  • Social Democracy (successor to Freedom)
Those of you familiar with the "Mars, now!" Civ II scenario might recall that these were some of the government types available to civs. Regardless of flavour, militarism functioned as fanaticism in normal Civ II (which allowed a civ to field large and powerful armies and eliminated unhappiness... at the cost of scientific and technological development), technocracy functioned as communism (which eliminated corruption and thus allowed for more productive cities), and social democracy functioned as either republic or democracy (can't recall which, but both government systems in Civ II provided more science at the cost of happiness and strong restrictions when attempting to declare war against another civ). Obviously, a civ would be able to pick only one of these three policy branches, just like in normal Civ V.

The bit about "development paths" is a little more complex (and, I imagine, more difficult to code). I'd like policy branches (and perhaps also individual policies) to partially determine how a civilisation grows and evolves -- much in the same way affinities do in Civ:BE, but not as strongly. In addition to bonuses such as +1 production per city or +10% growth in the capital (or whatever works for a Mars-colonisation mod), I'd like policy branches to give access to different technologies. The logical consequence of this is that after the first two or three eras the tech tree will divide into several mutually exclusive branches and that your choice of policy tree will determine which branch you have access to.

Before giving a few examples of policy trees which would be appropriate given the reality of the Martian citizens, I'd like to point out that the only way to make policy branches (and thus tech-tree branches) truly mutually exclusive would be to eliminate the possibility of switching between mutually exclusive policy branches. I've never tried it in a game, but I believe it is possible to choose, say, the Order branch and then switch to the Autocracy branch (losing all your Order policies in the process and perhaps undergoing some other penalty); the same goes for any other combination of Order, Autocracy and Freedom and for the Rationalism and Piety branches. In a mod in which different policies unlock different techs, this would allow a player to discover every tech, not only the ones which correspond to one policy branch.

I'd like the sociopolitical policy branches to accomplish this to a very small extent (perhaps five or ten techs specific to each sociopolitical system). There are two other policy branches, however, which should divide the tech tree very drastically: Terraformation and Preservation. In any Mars-colonisation situation, there ought to be people who believe Mars is ours for the taking (these people would mostly be in favour of terraformation) and people who believe we have no right to play God (they'd mostly be against terraformation and argue that we should adapt to the planet rather than adapt it to us). Obviously, the sort of technological advances a terraformationist civ will develop are going to be strikingly different from those a preservationist civ will develop. These two policy branches should be unlockable once the Colonisation Era is reached, as this is the last stop before deciding whether or not to introduce lichen and plants, warm the planet up and create an ocean.

In addition, I'll need another five smaller-impact policy branches in order to reach the standard of 10.

Is it possible for all of this (including the restriction about switching between mutually exclusive branches) to be coded?​

b. Religion replacement

In a largely-technology-driven situation such as the terraformation and colonisation of Mars, religious beliefs are unlikely to play a very important role (except perhaps in encouraging preservationism and satanising terraformationism, at least in some cases). Therefore, my mod isn't going to have religion. There are two ways of dealing with this: completely abandoning religion or replacing it with something with the same mechanics but a different flavour.

When G&K came out, religion added a nice bonus which wasn't game-defining but was quite helpful. Thus, I'm more inclined towards finding a suitable replacement for religion for this mod. However, I can't think of one. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.​

I haven't finished the six lists of buildable things (see below; great units aren't really buildable, but I think they fit best here and not in some other section); when I do, I'll post them here. (I'm also open to suggestions.)

What I'm most interested in is whether someone would like to embark on the enormous project of helping me out with all the 3D models for these things, seeing as I lack the necessary computer-graphics skill.

a. Terrain improvements

No info yet.​

b. Units

No info yet.​

c. Great units

No info yet.​

d. Buildings

No info yet.​

e. National wonders

No info yet.​

f. World wonders

No info yet (except for the fact that one of these will trigger the appearance of photosynthetic organisms near the city in which it is built (from where they'll then begin expanding until they cover most of Mars) and another one will trigger the release of liquid water onto the surface of Mars).​

I've already talked about the two major events which should occur during a typical game using this mod. I've only included this section to elaborate more on each of them (and possibly add more events if anyone has any great ideas).

I'd be interested in reading any ideas you might have concerning the interaction of these events with civs who have chosen the Preservation policy branch (see the section on social policies in my post about social stuff). Perhaps all the techs unlocked by the Preservation branch can lie in the Colonisation and Warming Eras (giving preservationist civs access to a much wider variety of techs until the two events below come to pass, at which point all civs have access to the same amount of techs), and perhaps each policy in the Preservation branch and/or each Preservation-specific tech discovered can increase the build cost of the wonders required to trigger the events below. I'm open to ideas; I haven't given this a lot of thought, since I just thought about it as I was writing this post.

Also, I'm new to LUA (although I've done C++ and other programming languages in the past), so if anyone could teach me a little LUA or help me out with event coding I'd be really grateful.

a. Appearance and expansion of photosynthetic organisms

Here's how I thought this out:

The completion of a world wonder (to be named and detailed later, but it should become available in the early Warming Era) by a civ will change that city's tile into lichen (unless the city is built on ice, in which case the nearest non-ice, non-mountain tile will turn into lichen). It will also trigger the expansion of photosynthetic organisms: each turn, lichen will grow on a few random tiles (which must be adjacent to a tile which already has lichen but must not themselves already contain a tile improvement or any photosynthetic organism). This process will continue until no more tiles can grow lichen. (Obviously, water tiles and ice tiles cannot grow lichen.)

The first civ to reach the Terraformation Era will trigger the appearance to more-advanced photosynthetic organisms (i.e. plants). Starting from the turn in which this era is reached by the first civ to do so (or perhaps one turn later), a few random lichen tiles will turn into grassland tiles. Later on, some grassland tiles will become forest tiles each turn (this will occur at a much slower rate than the conversion of lichen into grassland; grassland tiles occupied by cities or improvements may not grow forests). This process will continue until every lichen tile has become a grassland or forest tile; forest growth should become progressively slower as time goes by and ideally end by the time about 1/3 of the non-ice, non-water tiles on the map are covered by forests (alternatively, it may slow down but never stop). (Obviously, water tiles and ice tiles cannot grow grass or forests.)

This event will obviously be the catalyst for civ expansion and advanced politics.​

b. The flooding of Mars

Here's how I thought this out:

The completion of a world wonder (to be named and detailed later, but it should become available at the beginning of the Flooding Era, or perhaps it would be better to make it available at the end of the Terraformation Era and have it make all the Flooding-Era techs available upon completion; what do you think?) by a civ will mark the release of liquid water onto the surface of a Mars which will by now have a thick enough atmosphere and a warm enough surface temperature to make liquid water stable. On the turn a civ completes this wonder, the entire northern lowlands, Valles Marineris, the Hellas Basin, the Argyre Basin and several random craters not occupied by cities will be flooded, destroying any cities, units and terrain improvements on them (and, in the case of Lyot Crater and Lomonosov Crater, remove the natural wonders; the Valles Marineris natural wonder should remain, but its icon should be replaced by one containing water and vegetation (I suppose this can be achieved by removing the natural wonder and then adding another one with the same name and yield but a different icon)).

Any civ which loses all of its cities and colonies in this way instantly loses the game (obviously). It should be possible to code civ-leader attributes/biases to begin preferring the southern highlands for city placement once they reach the Warming Era, and human players should be intelligent enough to do the same if they are informed of the consequences of flooding Mars in a timely fashion.

Of course, all civs will lose all or most of the colonies they established during the Arrival and Colonisation Eras and some of their cities from the Warming and Terraformation Eras. This is intentional. Once the mod is finished, I'd love to read accounts of how this particular event drastically altered the balance of power in different games.​

So far, these are the victory conditions I've considered. I'm new to LUA (although I've done C++ and other programming languages in the past), so if anyone could teach me a little LUA or help me out with victory-condition coding I'd be really grateful.

a. Domination victory

This is the obvious victory condition: kill everyone and become the ruler of every city on the planet. In order for a player to achieve victory through domination, however, it must capture every city from every other civ (just like in the days of Civ II), not just every capital. This is to prevent automatic or easy victory after the flooding event, seeing as some of the drowned cities might be capitals.

(Also, capitals should be able to be changed at any point once the Warming Era begins, probably by building a new palace-type building... but this should go in the section on buildings in the post about buildable stuff, not here.)​

b. Diplomatic victory

I can't think of a reason why this would be any different from the original diplomatic victory condition: be voted by a majority of civs after a UN-type world wonder is built and win by peaceful means.​

c. Science victory

Working from one of bouncymischa's suggestions, the science victory might involve building a space elevator, researching techs having to do with trading with and travelling to/from Earth, and finally building some more stuff.​

d. Cultural victory

The cultural victory from vanilla and G&K always seemed somewhat weak (and arbitrary) to me, so I really wouldn't like to include it in this mod (unless someone has a great idea for a cultural victory -- and please no "Return to Earth" like in the "Mars, now!" scenario).​

This looks really interesting! [And this is the proper place to put this thread]

However, because of the limitations of CiV's graphical engine (i.e., beyond the scope of the one DLL we have the ability to modify), anything like terraforming would be incredibly kludgy, because the 3-D map won't update a changed terrain (e.g., grassland, plains, desert, hills, mountains) until you save and reload the game. You can only change a few of the features (e.g., forest, jungle, marsh) without a reload.

So you either have to:
A. Force all your users to use strategic view, or
B. Use hacky tricks with fake resources/improvements filling in as your terrain [Pazyryk can tell you what fun that is--OTOH, you can use some of his hard work], or
C. My recommendation: Give up on terraforming, wait until Beyond Earth comes out, and mod that instead

Hi, Nutty!

Thanks for the feedback. I do plan to use forest/marsh/jungle for the terraformed terrain types (I just need to edit names, yields, etc and get new graphics so that jungle looks like grassland; marsh can be renamed to lichen, and forest can stay as forest). If I use those, the graphics should update correctly... right?

I'll give Pazyryk's work a look anyway.

By the way, I love your "Camera rotation" mod. :c5happy:

My understanding was that as long as you only use feature ID's 0-7, you'll be OK; though I'm not sure if slot 7 is still good after Firaxis separated the natural wonders. I guess you could reuse the slots for oases and flood plains (and fallout?) as well.

Thanks for the kudos on Camera Rotation, though it was alpaca's discovery and original mod; I just updated it for newer versions of vanilla and G+K/BNW.

I added a lot of missing info in the posts for :c5culture: social stuff, :c5production: buildable stuff, :c5moves: events and :c5razing: victory conditions.

:trade: Nutty: I assume slots 0-7 are the ones taken up by forest, jungle, marsh, oasis, etc; am I correct? I wouldn't like to reuse the fallout ID because I do plan on including nuclear weapons (why else have thorium and uranium as strategic resources? ;)).

No, I guess it has nothing to do with the ID:
Updateable ID Type
0 FEATURE_ICE
* 1 FEATURE_JUNGLE
* 2 FEATURE_MARSH
* 3 FEATURE_OASIS
4 FEATURE_FLOOD_PLAINS
* 5 FEATURE_FOREST
* 6 FEATURE_FALLOUT
17 FEATURE_ATOLL
Lakes and rivers are "fake" features; they don't get updated until reload either. So you have 5 slots for changeable terrain. I'd recommend making fallout an improvement instead; if it appears, it'll replace the current improvement instead of pillaging it, but I think that's worth the extra slot. So you can use them for (1) lichen, (2) grass, (3) trees, (4) water, and (5) ice [I assume you need to melt the northern icecap.]

Ah, you're right. Fallout as an "improvement" works. Thanks for that list.

Does water itself update dynamically? If so, I'd rater change the terrain to water; otherwise, I could add water as a feature. The only problem of water as a feature would be that land units would be able to cross it without embarking and that I wouldn't be able to have any naval units.

No, coast and ocean are also (non-updating) terrain.

You could just make water impassible (like ice or the Natural Wonders) without a hover promotion, since there's not much use for boating technology until the end of the game. [Or you could just control embarking with Lua.] Note you're probably going to have a tough time making the water look good...

Well... ice looks good in normal Civ V, so I guess it's possible to get water to look good (I suppose it'll take a very good artist, though).

Thanks for the game-mechanics heads-up. :c5happy:

It looks like you might have to use resources and/or improvements. I made a mod that randomized the passable features and put them at the beginning of the list, and apparently some (but not all) are hardcoded based on the ID.

A playthrough example:
Oasis at position 0 yielded no change, as before.
Forest at position 1 yielded jungle, as before.
Jungle at position 2 yielded a marsh, as before.
Atoll at position 3 yielded an atoll -- different result.
A new passable ice feature at position 4 yielded no change, as before.
Floodplains at position 5 yielded forest, as before.
Marsh at position 6 yielded no change -- different result [?!].
Fallout at position 7 also yielded a marsh [?!].

I'll check whether just swapping the art defines changes the result at all.

EDIT:
OK, I changed the art defines to match the layout I gave above.
As above, forest gave me forest and jungle gave me jungle regardless of the art define. Marsh gave me marsh regardless of the art define (perhaps it was the insertion of the new resource that changed things above). Oasis did gave me an atoll again, however.
EDIT #2:
I tried switching atoll with ice in the oasis slot. The oasis didn't give me anything. I think it has something to do with the fact that the Oasis and Atoll [and Fallout] are also in ArtDefine_Landmarks.
EDIT #3:
OK, so I just threw a bunch of art defines from the natural wonders, which are also in ArtDefine_Landmarks.

The upshot: Slots #3 (oasis) and #6 (fallout) are the only flexible ones.

EDIT #4: Never mind, the fallout slot behaves weird. I think you only get the effect and base part of the model.
EDIT #5: Maybe that's not right; it's just that some models don't work right in either slot.
EDIT #6: Oh, wait, it appears that the Terrain Contouring isn't working or something. So, e.g., Mount Kilimanjaro is flat; Lake Victoria just results in some black lines.
EDIT #7: Using a new landmark with the ice model isn't working, either.

So, yeah. Go with resources and/or improvements--which has its own issues, obviously, since you can only have one resource and one improvement on a given plot (not counting routes, i.e., (rail)roads). That means that if you have a resource on one of your new features qua resources, you'll need the "resource" to count as both resource and feature. [Or similarly with improvements.] Plus the tooltips need to be adjusted.

Wow, thanks for all that work!

Seems I'll have to use only positions 3 and 6 ("lichen" and "vegetation", I suppose) and figure out a different way to add water. I don't suppose there's any way to use ifs to set a feature's name and art to one thing if a condition is met and to another if it isn't... is there? (I'm thinking about having all lichen automatically turn to vegetation once the flooding wonder is built, switching the name+yield+artwork of the "lichen" feature to a "water" feature and finally adding the water feature to the right tiles.)

The upside is that I can just leave ice unchanged and place it at the poles (but no yield completely screws up the idea of water ice being all-important for early settlers...).

Seriously, Civ II was trivial to mod in comparison...

Sorry, I threw in a few edits since your post.

You can change a feature's name and art only by using... a different feature, which is the entire problem [well, you could probably hack a way to change just the name].

Ice is one that won't update, and since it needs to melt, you can't use it as-is. It occurs to me you could use the snow art to represent surface ice (since you don't need snow, anyway), and put it in the oasis or fallout slot.

You can certainly change a marsh (qua lichen) to a forest (qua vegetation) automatically.

[EDIT: You can give ice a yield with a simple XML change.]

So, really, the only problem is water. However, if you flood a tile, it'll make an existing resource or improvement hard to use, so I don't see a problem using the resource or improvement slot for those tiles.

[EDIT: The art in Civilization before Civ4 was 2-dimensional! Of course it'd be easier.]

So the easiest/best/only way to do this is to have water and vegetation as resources?

If so, existing resources are not a problem; any resource on a tile that is about to be covered by water can just be destroyed (since it'll be impossible to mine after it's flooded), and resources in non-flooded tiles can simply be vegetation-free for the entire game (after all, there's bound to be a few places on Mars where vegetation won't grow substantially, just as on Earth).

As for having special resources on these tiles, that's also not a problem, as I'm not planning on any oil/whales/furs-type resources (so water and vegetation tiles are essentially "resource-free"; the yield they provide is quite enough to base self-sustainable cities off them anyway).

I take it all resources update automatically.

Having them be resources would make improvements not only possible, but also rather easy to handle: I just set farm/lumbermill-type improvements to be buildable only on vegetation "resources", just as pasture improvements are only buildable on cattle/sheep/horse resources in normal Civ V.

Graphics-wise, vegetation being a resource isn't really a problem; I suppose I can simply use the marsh textures. On the other hand, water graphics will probably be a huge problem when it comes to coastlines; I doubt I'll be able to make these look natural. Unless I add a second resource also called "water" (with the same yield and so on) with coastline-type graphics...

I foresee a problem with water tiles being passable if they're resources. If ice artwork can be edited, I could make ice invisible and simply add an ice feature to every tile with a water resource on it; this would make water impassable, but it would also add an out-of-place "Ice" line to the terrain tooltip...

Top Bottom