After Ragnarok

Oh yeah, it's happening.
Chapter 5: Wherein Frey's first Grand Planned is Shown​
“Are you sure that this is a good idea Frey?” asked one of his many advisors. “I can understand your motives, but will the people? They might not take to being..”
“SILENCE!!!” ordered Frey, whose normally completely straight face was now contorted with that rare rage that had only rarely poked out it’s ugly head since he had become King. “I am the King of these people, and they are mine to command. For they are my Vi-Kings, and if they are unhappy with what’s happening…” Frey paused for dramatic effect. “The army was asking for some target practice anyways.”
This was the side of Frey that had made him a good if somewhat of an unpopular king. When he snapped his fingers, the entire hall jumped to fulfill whatever they’re brilliant, and eccentric King. It was almost like watching a God in command of the Kingdom rather than just a human king. The latest outburst was about one of Frey’s ideas, they were never going to get anywhere is they couldn’t control the resources on the outside of Nidaros. So the King had proposed to create a group whose sole job was to improve the land, to create ways to extract from the large valley of marble to the Northwest, or the large herd of Cows to the north.
of course, that was heavy manual labor, and even the laborers were more than a little unwilling to do that work without guarantees that Frey was unwilling to give. Access to housing, first choice of the food supplies, swaths of the land they improved being owned by them, and other ridiculous things. So now the Kingdom was in peril, for is they forced the Vi-Kings against their will, they might revolt, which was not close to what Frey wanted at all. But if they couldn’t find a group of a suitable size, then there grand scheme, a circle of stones inside a circle of stones, would never come to fruition. They were still puzzling over this problem when a stranger appeared. His face was grim, his hair a dark brown, and instead of there being a left had, there was nothing.
This man walked right up to the foot of the Throne that Frey had deemed necessary to rule, and spoke as if he ruled in Nidaros, not Frey at all.
“Men,” this stranger began “You seem to have quite a problem, one that may seem nigh impossible in the current situation. But I have a proposal gentlemen, what of the villagers who aren’t true Vikings? They could be forced to do manual labor for their necessities without angering the rest of the population.”
The court grew silent at his suggestion, not because it was a bad idea, quite the contrary, but because none of them had thought of that simple solution. It took many moments before, finally, Frey spoke to fill in the gap of conversation.
“That is an excellent idea man. In fact, it may be the solution to our problem, but how would this system work?” Frey asked
“All you would have to do, is pay the men for their labor, after all, they are often discriminated against. They would be grateful to be paid to get out of the city.”
And with that, the stranger turned and exited the now silent hall. Thankful that what he had said had gone over well. Two wolves walked up to the man, and then they all disappeared.

Yngvild had been grateful when the soldiers had marched down the street. After all, what man wouldn’t be when they were about to be killed at the moment they walked. It had been a simple thing that Yngvild was used too, two of the Norse, what the native Vi-Kings called themselves, had decided to request that Yngvild, a Swedish men from one of the outlying villages, give them everything he had. When he had refused, the two men had decided to simply take out their bows, and open fire. Of course, the army stopped that nonsense, and seeing that the man who was being assaulted was Swedish talked to him.
“Swede,” said one of the soldiers “We are going to offer you an opportunity on the behalf of King Frey. The King desires a pasture outside of the city to hold all of the cattle. He is willing to offer good money in exchange for your labor.”
Yngvild couldn’t believe it. He had never thought that he could be paid to leave the city, build something, and then come back rich. He had thought that his fate was an obscure death at the hands of a Norse man, not being desired by the king himself. It was easy to find the answer but hard to say it. He was kind of relieved when the soldier said.
“If you are interested, report in the cattle fields in the morning, The King himself will be there to alert you as to why he requires these cattle.”

In the morning, dozens of workers gathered in front of a single podium. This podium had a plainly dressed man with a simple hat that made him distinguished him as being Frey. Yngvild was now eagerly anticipating his speech with the dozens of other Swedes. Then Frey opened his mouth, and he said.
“Oh great oppressed people hear me now, for I am your King and I care for each of you equally. I have asked you to create a pasture for the cattle, but now I must tell you why. The cows would give us beef to eat and leather to wear, and men with leather to wear are less cold, and more productive. If my Vi-Kings are warm, they may be inspired to create a wonder for all the world to be seen. For instance, a stone are which would act as a universal monument to all of Vi-Kingdom. And that is why I called you here. To be the backbone of our attempt at creating a Henge, Stonehenge.”
Spoiler :

The Man with Fire in his beard reached across the room towards his black sword, the room under the new world rumbled as he said
“Soon Frey, soon we shall have our duel”

Probably the end of Update-Fest... For the time being. The updates will probably settle into some semblance of a schedule at some point, but until then...
At least chapter 6 will be uploaded tomorrow, maybe chapter 7, but I most likely won't have as much free time.

I feel like I am talking to myself

I promise we are here :D

I am reading as well. You are doing a great job for a first-timer!

I am also reading. Just for the record.

Well thanks guys. I Know that this isn't an IAAR, but, at least people are reading, and that's all I need.

Chapter 6: Wherein The Stonehenge is Built, and the Society Changed
Yngvild walked into the Swedish district, sometimes called Stockholm, with his mind turned to the past rather than the present. He thought of nights of starvation and frigid weather, of Norsemen who would take most of what the Swedes had left after their taxes. Then he thought of the past two years. How he had spent the time to become familiar with many of the cattle, that one night where a flood had killed all of the other ninety-nine workers who had come to create the Pasture. Then of his recent investment, a small grassland to the east, and the exclusive rights to settle a new city further east. But, of course, his thoughts were interrupted by the “Stonehenge” of Frey that was being built, Yngvild was more than a little surprised at it’s location, in the center of Stockholm, and that all of the workers were… Swedish. There was not a Norseman in sight, and all though this was a shock to Yngvild, nothing was more shocking than seeing King Frey laboring with the common Swedes.
The day before, when Yngvild had been purchasing these land-rights, he did it with a drunken Norse oaf who seemed to care more about his cut than about Yngvild’s proposition. However seeing the clean-shave form of the King, dressed in the clothes of his peasants, restored his faith in all of humanity. As Yngvild cautiously approached the men pushing the great chariots filled with stones, he heard his King.
“This will be a great monument Gustav!” Frey said to one of the Swedes. “And in each of the stones, we shall carve the names of each of our people who worked on this! Think about it, you and all the Swedes immortalized in a wonder that men and women all around the world will seek!”
“Well Frey, it will be excellent sure, but what about…” Gustav’s thoughts were derailed upon seeing Yngvild, whom had achieved quite the level of notoriety in the past two years. “Is that the man who bought that land?”
Yngvild spoke up, before the men decided that he wasn’t. “Yes, I suppose that I am.” Not the best reply he could have come up with, but most certainly not the worst.
“Oh! YOU’RE YNGVILD!!!” The King screeched as if he was an eagle. “Leif told me all about you! How you had come in and negotiated until you got the deal that you wanted. He boasted of your natural ability!”
“You mean the drunk who said; ‘Just take what you want for a fair price?” Yngvild asked, his curiosity piqued.
“Ha!” Frey laughed a good hearty laugh, before turning deadly serious. “No One, not even you Swede talks about anyone of my advisors that way… at least if they want to live in Nidaros.”
Yngvild decided to not say anything further, and went to see what was happening elsewhere.

When Frey returned to his Hall that night, he was glad to cast off the personality he used as a way to inspire the commoners. He absolutely loathed physical labor, and would rather have spent his time trying to create a weapon just like Ragnar’s War-Axe. He had just gotten the system set up to melt the metal, when a timid servant knocked on his door.
“Sir,” squeked the servant, tumbling over his words “The Foreman wants to let you know that they have created that Quarry that you wanted to the Northeast.”
“Tell him,” Frey replied, having spent all of his diplomacy for the day on the Swedish. “That he is not to rear his ugly head in Nidaros until Stonehenge is completed.”
The servant was visibly distraught, and fled to whatever corner of the earth that he had come from. Frey just hoped that his work would outclass his father’s, and that nothing was screwed up.
Spoiler :

Several months later, the center of Stockholm was busier than it had been in years, and Yngvild was there to see the reason. He thought that it was only fair that he and the Swedes, who had chosen him as their leader and had decided to leave the city to create their own, see the work that was the reason why Frey had needed them to labor. And even Yngvild had to admit, Stonehenge was amazing. Circles of stones within each other, and the names of all the Swedes who had worked featured prominently. But of course the speech was the reason everyone was there. When Frey walked into the center, the great crowd hushed, everyone straining to hear the words.
“Today, the great work of the Norsemen is recognized, for the Stonehenge was our idea.” Frey started, causing many Swedes to hiss out how they had assembled it, and the third minority, the Danish, to cry out how they had quarried the stones. “For the amazing brilliance has shown us what the Norse can accomplish, with the help of the other people. Yes it is so clear that the Norse are so supreme, that the rest might as well be our property.” The boos rang down, and quickly Yngvild gathered his people and left the city, hoping to solicit the supplies from travellers to the outside, in their efforts to found a city. So, of course, no Swede was there when that one fateful announcement was made. Which Frey said almost emotionlessly.
“As of today, all Swedes and Danes found inside the City of Nidaros, are able to be claimed as the property of the first Norseman who claims him.
Yngvild and the others leave with chaos at their backs, as random buildings in Nidaros were set on fire by the remaining Danes and Swedes, fighting for their freedom.
Spoiler :

The Man with the Flaming Beard was now leading a small tribe of warriors, preparing them for an invasion that would lead to his confrontation with Frey. As his peoples created spears, he smiled cruelly towards the stars.
"Hear me now Aesir" said the Man. "In the last world I killed Frey, and I shall do so in this world too. And with that one victory, I shall assert my claim above all the other immortals, and create a new world in MY image."
With that, the man went into the tent that his tribe had set up for him, and dreamed he was back in Niflheim.
Author's Note: Obviously Grabbed Bronze Working, was getting sick of writing sub-stories for every tech, besides, you all know the Tech Tree Right? Right.

This is getting dramatic.

This is getting dramatic.
Just trying to find that right mixture between my inherently evil mind, the "and it all ended happily ever after' cliche, and a little bit of Zelazny style, "so there's this thing, and it works this way. I'm not going to tell you how it works, or why it works, it hust works" mentality.

This needed to happen:
[party][party]:band::band:[party][party]:rockon::rockon::dance::dance:
Welcome, Young writer, to the land where the strong control all and the weak "cultured" people burn, where the advanced destroy the primitive, where the UN is a tool for world domination, where democracy is just a means of building things quicker while communism is the most effective economy for large empires more often than not, where those who conquer the quickest and than keep control of their spoils are the most respected, where men love to start as cavemen on their trip to the cosmos, the heavens fall twice with incantations of unbelievable power, where the ultimate religious authority is a white, radioactive rock that can burst forth sometimes with the radiance of a thousand suns[1], where the forecast is continued war in a hell-hole of eternal war against Eurasia EastAsia with a 100% chance of mushroom clouds, or have been forced to abandon their own home due to thermonuclear warfare for the stars. All at the dance of those voyaging writers, who place with the lives of trillions for the purposes of their game.

This is Civfanatics. Only The the strong will flourish under its members iron rule and titanium fists. The weak will be perished, the strong ganged on, the cunning survive.
Do you have what it takes, oh maybe wise and definitely greedy writer?

This needed to happen:
[party][party]:band::band:[party][party]:rockon::rockon::dance::dance:
Welcome, Young writer, to the land where the strong control all and the weak "cultured" people burn, where the advanced destroy the primitive, where the UN is a tool for world domination, where democracy is just a means of building things quicker while communism is the most effective economy for large empires more often than not, where those who conquer the quickest and than keep control of their spoils are the most respected, where men love to start as cavemen on their trip to the cosmos, the heavens fall twice with incantations of unbelievable power, where the ultimate religious authority is a white, radioactive rock that can burst forth sometimes with the radiance of a thousand suns[1], where the forecast is continued war in a hell-hole of eternal war against Eurasia EastAsia with a 100% chance of mushroom clouds, or have been forced to abandon their own home due to thermonuclear warfare for the stars. All at the dance of those voyaging writers, who place with the lives of trillions for the purposes of their game.

This is Civfanatics. Only The the strong will flourish under its members iron rule and titanium fists. The weak will be perished, the strong ganged on, the cunning survive.
Do you have what it takes, oh maybe wise and definitely greedy writer?

I was waiting for that!!! My many years of lurking taught me the strange customs of this foreign land.

It would have been posted yesterday but I couldn't copy paste well on my phone.

You're one of us now.

I've been part of this group for many years in my mind. Just like that crazy relative you've never met before, they know a lot about you, but you know nothing about them.

That's really creepy. So what was my country called in the Second Epic War?

That's really creepy. So what was my country called in the Second Epic War?

What? I just meant in the stories. You learn a lot by reading them.
Oh and it's the port of Trexeric

Top Bottom