Against All Odds: The Struggles of the Noyyau

Felix rode on his black stallion, suited up in superficial armor and bearing a sheathed sword around his waist. Behind him followed one hundred of his guards and auxiliaries, and behind them followed thousands of peasants, supporting their lord in his venture. They headed towards the great city of Robertia, the city that the von Caterpillar family controls much of, to protest the pointless war against the Spanish. Felix knew courtiers would be moving through Robertia now to create support for the new war. Every so often a standard was raised, and for miles those standards dotted the streets, with his flag waving, proudly showing the crest of Caterpillar. He ensured that his guards didn't wield weapons, as this was a peaceful demonstration.

Felix came into the city and saw the courtiers in the town square, drumming up the war to officials and commoners alike. Felix's massive group of thousands overflowed on the cobbled streets of Robertia. Felix got off of his horse as his people filed into the square. The courtiers now stopped and watched what was happening. Felix stood on top of a statue dedicated to his ancestor, founder of Robertia, and spoke to the crowd.

"What they say is a lie! This war is not righteous! It is not industrious! It is not even smart! We are wasting lives and resources on taking out what could have been a possible trading partner in the future! What's worse is that we won't keep the lands we take. Like the Iranians, Czechs, and many before them, the King's troops will torch whatever they find, and not bother with the cities. Why would we do this then?! Why must we let our boys die in a war where the only reward reaped is gold that will be gone in little time! This must stop by fellow Noyyau citizens! We must tell the king what we think of this plan to waste time, resources, and lives on a war where we will get no more land than when we started!!" With the end of Felix's rant, the public in the Robertian square screamed in agreement. Chanting and shouting emanated from every corner of the city as people called for an end to pointless wars, or to at least keep lands taken in war.

No violence came from these demonstrations, but Felix's point was made. The Caterpillar house now directly spoke against the ruling family. Felix knew the old king wasn't going to do anything, but he could only hope his son, Prince John, would prove more intelligent in his motives. Felix also knew that, while his city might support him, equally large numbers disagreed with him in his views. Felix Wilhelm von Caterpillar soon became the talk of the empire, and that's what he wanted.

To make this clear, House von Caterpillar supports the war against Spain, but ONLY if we reap land and cities from the war directly. We must not wage pointless wars like we have before. We could be immensely larger by now if we had kept lands we had taken.

House Florentanius believes that unity, coherence and coordination must be achieved within the state before and whilst any actions are undertaken which transcend the state. This unity should be attained by peaceful and non-violent means when possible, but if it is impossible or difficult to do so in an expeditious manner, or for the sake of convenience, other means are permitted.

House Florentanius is a minor house that originated in the merchant class; producing and selling alcohol. As such its members have access to fermentation facilities and limited funds originating from the business. The houses lands are to the North-West of Robertia. While the fermentation plants are primarily in the city of Noyyau and high in the mountains the Florentanius themselves live on a peninsula to the North-East of the mountains near the fishing boats or in a walled house within Noyyau.

The banner of House Florentanius is a noose. The round bottom represent the upper castes; the nobility, merchants, generals and the such. The coils represent the common people who prevent the nobility from over extending themselves, while also holding the entire noose together. The top represents unilateral action undertaken by unified, cohesive, cohearent and coordinated peoples. The noose as a whole is representative of the results of the system; they who try to assault the noose wind it around their own neck, they who try to remove a single part of the noose destroy its functionality.

The current leader of the Florentanius' is Aleksi Florentanius (34 M). He is an ambitious, impulsive and reckless person, while he has never forgotten his parents lessons in childhood of the necessity of unity neither has he forgotten the lessons taught to him by the wealth and bliss of his youth. Aleksi has two children; Franz(5 M) and Henrietta(3 F); by his wife Gertrude(19 M). Aleksi's younger brother, Erberhard (23), operates the fermentation plant in Noyyau. He is married to Ava and has four children; Randalf (17 M) Gertrude (16 F), Linza (15 F) and Odilo (12 M). His other brother; Franz (21) is a minor official who advises members of the religious caste.

OOC: What are Noyyau marriage and naming conventions?

“‘He WHAT?! The Spirictums want war. The Greeks want war. The king will concede. The prince can be convinced. Why did he turn a city against us. We need Robertia to fight this war. We need every Noyyaua to fight this war.’ Aleski’s financial advisor awkwardly sat in the middle of the conversation between the nobel and his foreman at the distribution center in Robertia. When Aleski finished yelling at Hanz and sent him back to the city he turned to Godwin, ‘Tell me you have some good news.’ Godwin shook his head, ‘The price of alcohol is rapidly increasing beyond what the common man can afford. Profits are down; no one can afford it except the wealthy, and most of the business is focused on catering to the common man.’ Aleski flopped into the chair, ‘What would you have me do about it?’ Godwin turned to face him, ‘We need more grains to ferment.’ Aleski shook his head, ‘They’re far too expensive; the common people need it, the animals need it, we need it. Everyone needs it.’ ‘There is one other option; “The North-East Settlements Plan”’ ‘And that is?…’ ‘A proposed settlement to the North-East; only a small bit further from here to Robertia than from here to there… Many years ago explorers discovered fertile land. Fields of maze, squashes, peas and other such foods; as far as the eye could see. Fishing stocks only slightly smaller than the ones here, and larger that the ones at Noyyau, were found off the coast. To the East there are the perfect conditions for grapes, strawberries, blackberries and all assortment of delicacies.’ ‘I see. What do you propose; we are marching to war after all?’ Godwin stood and walked to the deerskin map hanging on the wall, ‘I propose that we take the peasants that are loyal to House Greek and send them to colonize these lands. Only a few at first, let them determine it it’s worth sending more. Then send more groups of peasants, if the cities can’t support them and they’re loyal to the cause send them to the North. This could also help the conquest of Spain by closing the buffer-zone before the attack and providing a forward base to deploy troops from.’ Godwin paused for a moment before Aleski interrupted, ‘Go on.’ ‘Don’t you have someone for this type of thing.’ ‘As of now that would be you.’ Godwin took a breath, ‘Internally we would have to set up a central fortress that would serve as a military base, an administrations center, and a market. We could position it to the North of the corn fields, but not so far North that they can’t gain access to the sea.’ Aleski nodded his approval, have a scribe write up notes, then get ready for a trip.’ ‘A trip?’ ‘We’re headed to Noyyau to make a proposal to the Greeks.’ Godwin stuttered for a moment then regained his composure, ‘Right away.’”

OOC:
1. CK this isn't an attack on your house. The Florentanius' just believe in unity.
2. I haven’t forgotten about Ascent and Betterment; it’s just coming more slowly that I would like it to.

Time between each update is... however much is needed for the story. I outright ignore the stardard Civ calendar years, as playing on Deity throws everything out of whack (despite the RAND2 team's efforts to make things progress roughly on a historical timetable). And anyway travel times between cities are not years or decades, despite a unit needing 2 or 3 turns to move.

For now consider that King Cid Raynor the first coronated himself at about 30 years of age, and now he's on his deathbed at around 65.
His son, prince John, is in his early 20s.

Naming conventions are that you can pretty much use whatever name you want. The Noyyau are not based on a real people, so there are no limits.

The adjective for Noyyau is still Noyyau, however. We're that kind of self-aggrandizing people, naming our capital like our nation, and the river it's on, the same name. Who knows, in the future the entire continent might be named Noyyau, too.

Marriage conventions... haven't thought much about that. I'd say that the Noyyau are monogamous, united in marriage during a ritual involving the good spirits (maybe the families' ancestors as well) watching over the new couple and protecting them from evil spirits and granting them many children and so on. The higher the caste, the more usual that the marriage is arranged for economical and political gains. Marriages of people from different castes are not permitted.
Despite being considered not a "proper" behavior, many nobles do have concubines, ostensibly as household maids or somesuch.

Women can inherit lands and wealth, but only in the case of the death of any eligible male relative (or the husband). You can imagine that there have been "unexplained" or "accidental" deaths over the years, leaving an ambitious matron in control of her newly-acquired fortunes...

Finally, keep going on! You don't know it, but things are moving! The next update might not seem like it, but I'm constrained by the forum's 30-image limit.
The one after that... :mischief:

OOC:
I asked that because if in an update 50 years are passed, then most of us would die, and then we would have to create new characters on and on (similarly, but faster then my old Iroquois story attempt).

This, or we assume we are in an age so old, that it isn't strange to have characters who lived centuries (we have some examples in real history). So our characters would become fables.

But if that's so, I prefer to conceal the leadership of my house and keep acting as a united entity, until my main character can live a bunch of updates.

BTW, Nice animation again CK! :D
Also, great concept on the noose there Niccolo, it's really interesting!

EDIT: Is there any religious building that isn't tied to any religion? Like a Pagan Temple of sorts?
Also, could I suggest that you use the OP to not only have chapters if you like, but also and more importantly have links to posts with updated general info, like the map and civics? Or maybe put everything on the OP (although I think this will one day be more then it can handle alone).
I'm still trying to figure out how my house is tied to the land, but I'm leaning towards the spiritual role of the society aspect. That's why I'm curious about civics and buildings.

House von Caterpillar is not appreciative of these ideas. No violence occurred and no one was harmed. It was a peaceful demonstration. If love for your country makes you a traitor then hang me dead, but I know that what we need, and death is not it. If you wish to talk only, I will gladly seat you in my manor, but any aggressive action will not be taken lightly.

My good Lord Felix, the spirits are restless, I advise cautious and respect in this moment. Think about the people of Robertia. Don't you think disrupting the failing business of alcoholic beverages could cause an uprising?

The spirits told me the Florentanius are more bound to development then to bloodshed. Also, they wouldn't be using your resources for that. Maybe this could even some odds?

OOC: rping a spiritually-oriented house makes me much more tied to a religious caste then any other. So I presume all of you who don't really have interest in developing your own spiritual section could have a spiritual counselor somewhat tied to my house (which would explain how I could advise Felix in the first place). The bulk of my house (specially all the other members not directly related to the spiritual caste) is located in Noyyau, but I'd like to have a presence, even if small, in most or all other cities of Noyyau, within the spiritual caste.
So if that's approved, anyone may expel my representative from their house when conflicts arise of course, or outright deny to have one, but I offer all houses this act of cohesion and integrity to benefit our nation. Take a Spirictum's druid to your house, and I promise you won't regret :D

The water is clean and the beer can be deadly. A decrease in alcohol is a proper price to pay for the king to take me and my point seriously.

OOC: I'll consider hiring you :p Also, thanks about the banner, that shape was so hard to do because canvases can only be rectangular.

OOC: Can't wait to see where this discussion is going to :p
Order a Spirictum's druid and I promise you'll have no reasons to ask your money back :D

Spoiler :

Is there any religious building that isn't tied to any religion? Like a Pagan Temple of sorts?
Also, could I suggest that you use the OP to not only have chapters if you like, but also and more importantly have links to posts with updated general info, like the map and civics? Or maybe put everything on the OP (although I think this will one day be more then it can handle alone).
I'm still trying to figure out how my house is tied to the land, but I'm leaning towards the spiritual role of the society aspect. That's why I'm curious about civics and buildings.

There is the Ceremonial Altar, which is then replaced by any Temple of any religion. We have one in Robertia (and no Temples anywhere, yet).
Even prior to that there are the Fire Pit and the Storyteller Circle, which are among the first prehistorical buildings you can make at the beginning.
The Pyramids in Noyyau give us a free Graveyard in every city, and those surely have spiritual significance.
Standing Stones (RAND2's retooling of the Monument) also might be considered, maybe they have some inscriptions about ancient spirits guarding a place? I'll leave that to you ;)

Taoism is present in Noyyau, Robertia and Fiamma. Only Robertia has a Taoist Monastery (for the free Martial Arts promo), no other religion-specific buildings have been built yet.

We'll be getting our religion pretty soon though, that much I can tell.

As soon as this burst of expansion ends, I'll make an updated map, and will put rivers and other geographical features' names in as well.

I have also thought about making the first post as an index of sorts, I'll figure something out in the next few days or the weekend.

Edit: Love the druid! :)
House Spirictum can very well be the main force/faction inside the religious caste.

House Florentanius is correct, we need unity! We must crush the Spanish bastards and rid the world of their plague!

Author's suggestion: Play this in the background.

The Axemen of Doom Duo led the assault on Tabriz, supported by the new Catapults and followed by the rest of the Noyyau troops.
The Iranian defenders had recently developed Pikes, which was a surprise to the attacking Noyyau, but such a development did not give the Iranians any better chance to escape.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :
Finally we gain extra research for a tech we really need! This city was worth 5 turns of 95% research (which is at a massive deficit, fueled by continued conquest and pillaging).

Not having had the chance to participate in the main assault, some Noyyau troops took to clearing the surrounding area of Iranian presence.
From the sea, the crew of a Pict Galley watched with interest the unfolding events.
Spoiler :

The fighting with the Spanish took a turn for the worse when the Light Swordsman Cohort I, veterans of the Siege of Robertia against the Latvians, were ambushed, along with the eastern Explorers, and massacred by the Spanish vanguard.
The commanders of the remaining troops decided to camp together for protection and not move until their requested reinforcements would arrive.
Spoiler :

The Iranians attempted to counterattack the Noyyau invasion, inflicting however lower casualties than expected. The Explorers traveling the western Iranian borders perished bravely, taking with them more than their number of Iranians.
Spoiler :

The King's orders to colonize the emptiness surrounding the Noyyau domains were carried out, settling Evron where the Minimi river was fed by the Belt river, to the south of Ringhio.
Spoiler :

The way was now clear to advance towards Tehran, the Iranian capital. Along the way, another Iranian Catapult was captured.
An isolated cadre of Longbowmen learned to fear Noyyau Archers, when their volleys darkened the sky. Their fear was short lived.
Spoiler :

The generations-long war against the Iranians became more than just a plundering expedition when, following the King's last wishes, Xerba was founded south of Fiamma, on the liberated coast of the great eastern sea.
Spoiler :

The Ringhio Forest Patrol cautiosly approached Shangian, to discover a Pict expedition fighting against the Malagasy.
Spoiler :

Tehran's defenses had been vastly improved since the last time Noyyau raiders had been in sight of the city. It was now surrounded by a veritable maze of walls and false passages, so the Noyyau took the only reasonable choice, and put their Catapults to work.
The Pict Galley continued to shadow the Noyyau's movements on land, observing every step of the Iranian's fall.
Spoiler :

While the siege machinery did its work, several groups of warriors spread from the main host, intent on increasing their personal fortunes.
Spoiler :

The Spanish vanguard crashed into the Noyyau lines at the first bend of the Chocobo river, where they learned that trying to ford a river is not a good idea when in sight of the enemy.
Incoming reinforcements brought news of malcontent spreading in the homeland.
House von Caterpillar's rally in Robertia was particulary astonishing, as no one in decades had dared so openly argue against the King. And even more astonishing was that no one was beheaded for such an event. Maybe the times were really changing?
Spoiler :

The Ringhio Forest Fort garrison, patrolling the border, reported that the Pict expedition was not faring well against the Malagasy.
Spoiler :

Still recovering from the expedition in the harsh nothern icy wasteland, the Explorers on arctic duty encountered the Latvian settling expedition that had been repelled some years before. It seemed that the Latvians had run our of land, and were so desperate that they took to exploring the frozen north in hopes of finding new places to settle.Having witnessed their desperation, the norther Explorers left the Latvians to their fate.
Spoiler :

After a long Catapult bombardment, the walls of Tehran were finally breached. Cid Raynor's Warriors, tired of waiting, engaged the Iranians without waiting for the Archers to provide support.
Spoiler :

While the siege of Tehran was progressing, a detachment of Axemen raided an Iranian Fort, capturing some of the Workers that had just finished building it.
Spoiler :

Despite expectations, a Malagasy Galley was sunk when attempting to raid Ringhio's fishing fleets. Many lost money on bets, and few lucky gamblers suddenly became quite rich.
Spoiler :

With some reinforcements incoming, the Noyyau troops moved slowly forward, stopping again to deal with more Spanish.
Spoiler :

The King's failing health and the growing dissent among the nobles led to the discussion, in hushed tones and away from prying ears, of a different way to divide power and manage the state. The general idea was to reduce the King's centralized power, and grant to each House much broader powers in their own territory. All would be bound by oaths of fealty to the King, and would provide taxes and troops as necessity required and their means allowed.

Spoiler :

Edit: Love the druid! :)
House Spirictum can very well be the main force/faction inside the religious caste.

Thanks google for that druid :p

I like this position, it suits my interests ;)

Let the main opposition be the Taoists. They surely have a strong sect of followers already, even because all the rest is probably a messy syncretism of folklore.

OOC: We should make a map showing where each house holds territory, with Noyyau being governed by the king himself.

I demand my city not be used to further your war efforts. I want Robertia to take no part in these wars.

OOC: I think just a map would be nice in general :p

OOC:
I like this idea. Also, who will marry the prince? The Game of Noyyau may start by this act.

I'll hold no specific territory, but rather small enclaves within each territory that allows my participation. My house will be tied mainly to the Capital and the religious affairs.

Top Bottom