Against All Odds: The Struggles of the Noyyau

That's interesting. Would have loved to see Peter Russo, I miss him :(

Spoiler of House of Cards
Spoiler :
I agree. He was a great character in the first two seasons, then in season three he quickly became one of my least favorites. I wonder though, if they didn't put him in the promotional poster to keep fans guessing if he was dead.

Well, you see, I've only finished season 1 so I thought he was dead :lol:

Voting has ended.
Results:
Rule: Nobility
Society: Feudal
Economy: Slavery
Military: Vassalage
Religion: Prophets
Welfare: Church

Government obviously remains Monarchy.

If anyone disagrees, it's too late, the King has spoken. :king:

An actual Story update will follow later.

Author's suggestion: Play this in the background.

My father, King Cid Raynor of the Noyyau, the first of his name, died in his sleep after a long illness that had robbed him of his strength. He had lived an exceptionally long life, filled with adventure, danger, and victories in battle. He made the Kingdom what it is today, indeed he made the Kingdom, period. Before him, we were ruled by tribal chiefs, chosen only for their prowess in single combat, with no guarantee of governing ability or even intelligence.
The spirits guided my father to recognize a better form of government, learning it from a worthy foe, King Calgacus of the Picts, our western neighbours.
The spirits also guided my father to end the generations of unending fighting with any foreigner, focusing only on those who were a threat to us, or easy prey for plunder.
If not for him, we would not be conquering Iran today, and we would not have exterminated the Czech, who dared encroach on our lands.
Today, we bury King Cid Raynor's body in our ancient Pyramids, but his spirit lives on forever, looking upon us and our actions.
(Excerpt from King John Raynor's speech at the funeral of King Cid Raynor)

Keeping with his father's legacy of attention to his subjects and not refusing innovation, King John Raynor, shortly after his coronation, convened with the representatives of the most prominent Noble Houses of the Kingdom, to adapt the Kingdom to its expanding size and population.
The House of Nobles in Noyyau echoed for weeks with arguments and counter-arguments, each House trying to convince the others of their views.
Eventually, new laws were drafted, and the Kingdom took a new shape, the Nobles and the newly established Shinto faith having been given important roles to fulfill.
It would take some time for the news to spread and for everyone to adapt, but the first step had been taken, and the future awaited.

Spoiler :

While in the Noyyau House of Nobles the Kingdom was being restructured, nothing changed for the troops on the frontline. They had an Iranian city in front of them, and they knew what they had to do.
Spoiler :

As Isfahan fell, troops were dispatched to deal with the last Iranian stragglers in the Tehran-Isfahan area.
Spoiler :

No Scout or Explorer had ever died of old age, and eventually fate caught up with the northern Explorers as well.
Spoiler :

Merchants and travelers began spreading tales of how the spirits visited Ringhio. In Evron, a short distance from Ringhio, Kojiki's words found fertile ground.
A more formal delegation was sent to Noyyau to spread the faith, but the Kannushi reached the capital only to find the city's faithful welcoming them. After a warm reception, the Kannushi then continued towards Robertia, to bring the voice of the spirits to the second most important Noyyau city.
Spoiler :

In the north, Lord Emmanuel Greek reached the idling troops camped in the forest, and quickly established his authority over them. The time to earn their pay had come.
Spoiler :

In the west, the Malagasy grew bolder and dared intrude upon Noyyau territory. They were soon taught a harsh lesson about the inviolability of the Noyyau borders.
Spoiler :

Lord Greek ignored the cowardly protests of his troops, and pushed towards the Spanish borders. When the Spanish attempted to stop them, they met in glorious battle.
Spoiler :

The one remaining garrison cohort at the Latvian fort reported a sizeable Latvian army moving along the border.
Despite the cordial relations with the Latvians, King John feared this could become the first crisis of his reign. The timing would be perfect for a sudden attack, while the Noyyau Kingdom was undergoing structural reforms and pretty much any productive activity was at a standstill.
So the new King decided to engage in some preemptive diplomacy, as he explained it to the envoy he sent to the Latvians: the mission was to establish an Embassy and possibly distract the Latvians with something, to avoid them breaking the old peace treaty and invading.
When the envoy returned to Noyyau, he reported that, while the Latvians refused to side with “unbelievers” in any war, they did agree to cease any commercial contact with the Spanish, and they agreed without asking for anything in return.
Spoiler :

The incident remained unknown to the general populace, as the King preferred to avoid unnecessary panic. If the Latvians had the intention to invade, they would eventually be stopped, as it had happened before... but many would needlessly die, and Wark would most probably be lost.
Some might call his “preemptive diplomacy” fear of a new war, but King John, despite the young age, had been taught by his father to pick his fights, and to avoid any confrontation were he did not have the advantage, as the goal of war is to win, with any means necessary. Including not fighting.
Ultimately the potential invasion did not actually happen, as the Latvian fort garrison soon reported that the Latvians regrouped and returned to Riga.
Spoiler :

Life slowly returned to some semblance of normality in Noyyau-occupied Tehran, and the locals introduced the conquerors to one of their traditions: an annual festival called “Running with the Bulls”. The Noyyau quickly came to like the risky and violent tradition.
Spoiler :

At a Pictish market, Assyrian traders were introduced to Noyyau Corn. Even during a time of social upheaval, some Noyyau managed to turn a profit.
Spoiler :

After leaving Isfahan, the Noyyau host approached the last Iranian stronghold of Ligurian.
Spoiler :

As battle raged in Ligurian, Noyyau Settlers reached a thus far unsettled region between the Malagasy and the old Iranian borders, settling Fiji to stop any Pict attempt at expansion.
Spoiler :

Up north, after having recovered from his first true battle, Lord Greek engaged the Spanish survivors of the Battle of the Forest Valley.

Spoiler :

With the support of the recently formed First Longbowmen, the Noyyau finally took the fight to the Malagasy, defeating them in the forests and approaching Shangian. Surprisingly, the Picts were spotted approaching the city as well, with yet another understrength expedition.
Spoiler :

Pulled out of road construction in newly conquered Iran, the 2nd Worker Squad was directed to the opposite side of the Kingdom. Having reached Wark after a long journey, their new employers of House Florentianus put them to work on clearing a forested area and set up large scale vineyards and fermentation facilities.
Spoiler :

The Spanish attempted to harass the advancing Noyyau forces, but Lord Greek had none of that, preemptively striking any Spanish unit foolish enough to approach alone.
Spoiler :

It did not take long for Ligurian to fall to the Noyyau, marking the end of the Iranians as a threat to the Noyyau. The city was sacked, and in its place a Fort was constructed, to keep watch on the western approach to Isfahan.
Spoiler :

Roughly at the same time that Ligurian burned and Lord Greek approached the Spanish city of Zapotec, the reforms of the Kingdom were finally implemented and the state gradually began functioning again.
Reports also came in that no one had had any news of both the Bulgarians and the Czech for enough time to safely declare them casualties of history.
Considering the coincidence to be a good omen, King John organized a formal ceremony in Ringhio, declaring the Noyyau Kingdom to be the world's first Shinto nation.
Spoiler :

As news of the adoption of Shinto reached the frontlines, many among the soldiers trusted in the spirits to keep them safe during battle, including Lord Greek himself.

Spoiler :

I am very pleased that this time of upheaval has ended, and that now we might settle down for a united and prosperous nation.
I am also very proud that my father has won victory for Noyyau, and I pray that 八万 (Hachiman, the Shinto god of war) watches over him and lends him strength and wisdom.

かみがみのえいこう!

Congratulations to the King and to the House of Nobles as well for the way we have managed this turbulent stage of Noyyau's development.

With the Nobility strenghened and the welfare handled by the priests, we will develop much faster for now.

Kami Yata of House Spirictum, after consulting with all his advisors on House Spirictum, shows his concerns for the future:

The conquest of the Persians was well done. Although we lost a possible buffer state between us and the Picts, now we have many more potential power to become even stronger. The Malagasy are still a reality, so my proposal to it is to create at least one buffer state between us and the Picts (Capitulate or Vassalize the Malagasy).

The Picts themselves are our closest threat, we should analyze them and prepare plans for a possible military intervention on the borders between us. I don't advise a war against them now, but we will back-up such plan if other Noble Houses or the King himself suggests so.

I say the North is ours :cool:
This doesn't mean we should start a war against the Latvians now, but I believe we should aim at conquering the whole north sooner or later. This will give us access to tundra lands, which may sport several resources not present in our warmer lands.

To end, Kami Yata of House Spirictum requests an updated report on the King's finances, so we may check the initial difference from the previous system to the new one. And now that we adopted the new ways, I propose we all start funding sets of Walls and also Castles, Manors or Estates to facilitate the process of spreading our army's responsibility to the Noble Houses throughout the land, helping the economy of the Realm in the process.

Felix Wilhelm von Caterpillar has passed away. at the ripe age of 53, he died after a tough bout with a serious disease. His son Felix Friedrich von Caterpillar II is now bead of the house at age 27. With the change in leadership House von Caterpillar has re-evaluated the world's current position and would like to update its views. House von Caterpillar supports military intervention and war, so long as it is not the main focus of the economy.

I updated my House too, here it is for reference

House Spirictum

We believe in the strength of the spirits, the incorporeal beings that surround us and everything around us. Progress may only be achieved by consulting with the spirits.

House Spirictum is tied to the Shinto Priest Caste of the Realm, one of the few surviving Castes after the adoption of a more loose society bind (Feudal). House Spirictum is present everywhere through Priests, but it keeps a sizeable property on the Capital with its most important members and advisors.

The symbol of House Spirictum is the Sand Reaper (pictured). This ancient spirit, now being questioned if it's an avatar of Izanami herself, has for millenia represented the fear of Death and its strong presence in the Desert nearby.

About foreign Policies:

North
The Spanish shall be incorporated and eventually the Latvians as well. For now we should keep the spanish conquests and prepare the terrain for the next war against the Latvians. They already invaded us before, and they have a sizeable stack near us.

Southwest
The Malagasy should be turned into a puppet of ours to create a buffer between us and the Picts. The Picts shall be watched and analyzed so we don't fall in a trap they make against us. They are a worthy foe.

East Coast
The East Coast should be colonized as soon as possible and the desert should be filled with Fortresses so we may have a safe passage through it from east and west.

Congratulations to the King and to the House of Nobles as well for the way we have managed this turbulent stage of Noyyau's development.

With the Nobility strenghened and the welfare handled by the priests, we will develop much faster for now.

Kami Yata of House Spirictum, after consulting with all his advisors on House Spirictum, shows his concerns for the future:

The conquest of the Persians was well done. Although we lost a possible buffer state between us and the Picts, now we have many more potential power to become even stronger. The Malagasy are still a reality, so my proposal to it is to create at least one buffer state between us and the Picts (Capitulate or Vassalize the Malagasy).

The Picts themselves are our closest threat, we should analyze them and prepare plans for a possible military intervention on the borders between us. I don't advise a war against them now, but we will back-up such plan if other Noble Houses or the King himself suggests so.

I say the North is ours :cool:
This doesn't mean we should start a war against the Latvians now, but I believe we should aim at conquering the whole north sooner or later. This will give us access to tundra lands, which may sport several resources not present in our warmer lands.

To end, Kami Yata of House Spirictum requests an updated report on the King's finances, so we may check the initial difference from the previous system to the new one. And now that we adopted the new ways, I propose we all start funding sets of Walls and also Castles, Manors or Estates to facilitate the process of spreading our army's responsibility to the Noble Houses throughout the land, helping the economy of the Realm in the process.

Actually we conquered the Iranians, the Persians are a separate civ. :lol: (no idea if they are in this particular game, though)

We had always been at war with the Iranians, so they wouldn't really have worked as a buffer state, unless vassalized. But capturing the Hindu holy city will be a better investment, as soon as we can pop a couple of Great Priests. Temples are being built in Noyyau, to run as many Priests as possible (Noyyau also has the National Epic) and hopefully get our Shrines.
Also, I really wanted the Colosseum (free Combat promotion! It's like we're almost Aggressive as well).

The Malagasy... you'll see soon enough, I just need to finish writing the update. :mischief:

An quick economic overview might be done in the next few days.
To summarize, we are currently making less money than before, for two main reasons: our city count has more than doubled (if not tripled), and :gold:-generating infrastructure (like Walls) has yet to be built (since we were in Anarchy for a long time, and most of the settled cities are yet too small to be productive).

Felix Wilhelm von Caterpillar has passed away. at the ripe age of 53, he died after a tough bout with a serious disease. His son Felix Friedrich von Caterpillar II is now bead of the house at age 27. With the change in leadership House von Caterpillar has re-evaluated the world's current position and would like to update its views. House von Caterpillar supports military intervention and war, so long as it is not the main focus of the economy.

King John was saddened by the news of Felix von Caterpillar's passing. Despite some disagreements, he was a honourable man and had always worked for the betterment of the nation.

House Florentanius would like to express deep sadness and regret at the passing of Lord Felix von Caterpillar. He worked for the betterment of the Noyyau people and despite our house's disagreements he made Noyyau a better place. House Florentanius hopes that unity may again be achieved between house Caterpillar under the leadership of Felix Friedrich von Caterpillar II and the glorious nation of Noyyau. House Florentanius would like to offer any support that it can in a most trying and sad time for those of House Caterpillar.

Lord Greek had no difficulty in capturing the Spanish city of Zapotec. The name did not sound very Spanish, though. It probably had been an independent town before being conquered by the rising Spanish. The new conquerors did not really care. They were making new history, not studying the old.
Spoiler :

Unexpectedly, the Picts retreated from Malagasy territory after an unknown mediator interceded, convincing both sides to cease their conflict.
King John could only wonder why the Picts had accepted, given their massive numerical advantage over the Malagasy.
The mistery would probably never be solved, but he surely intended to take advantage of the occurence.
Spoiler :

The Pictish troops were still in sight of Shangian when the Noyyau banner was lifted in its main square (which was nothing more than a muddy clearing among the huts).
Spoiler :

In Spain, Lord Greek gave no respite to Spanish and his own troops alike, ordering to engage any target of opportunity.
Spoiler :

After a long forced march all the way from Iran, Cid Raynor's Warriors (the name was kept despite the old King's passing, as it had become a badge of honor to be part of the most elite warriors of the whole Kingdom) reached the diminishing Malagasy domains, to quickly end the danger they posed to Ringhio.
Spoiler :

From the East, the Rather Annoyed Robertian had been ordered to sail towards Ringhio, assuming the Malagasy would have some ships on which they would try to escape. The strategy proved to be correct.
Spoiler :

Unexpectedly, tensions rose in Isfahan after most of the troops had left, the Hindu Iranians' resentment against their new Shinto Noyyau masters causing street demonstrations and general unrest.
Spoiler :

Following the coast, Lord Greek and his army reached Barcelona and found it practically undefended.
Spoiler :

The Malagasy's fate was sealed when Cid Raynor's Warriors were joined by the First Axes.
Spoiler :

A cadre of daring (or foolish, depending on the point of view) Spanish Light Swordsmen attempted to stop the Noyyau invasion by seeking out the Noyyau commander. Lord Greek accepted the challenge, and defeated them singlehandedly in a fight that will be sung by bards for generations to come.
Spoiler :

Through judicious usage of the captured Spanish Ballistas and his own Catapults, the attack on Barcelona proceeded with almost no Noyyau casualties.
The loss of this city was a crippling blow to the Spanish, their remaining holdings being all in the harsh northern tundra.
Spoiler :

The Malagasy joined the growing list of civilizations eliminated by the Noyyau, their few survivors probably Explorers lost somewhere far away.
Spoiler :

While Lord Greek was still in Barcelona, the first of the requested garrisons arrived from Robertia, and contributed to sinking a Spanish Galley before it could do any damage.
The few troops that had not traveled to Barcelona engaged Spanish stragglers near Zapotec.
Spoiler :

A lucky scavenger combing Tabriz's ruins could not believe his luck when he discovered a cellar door that, despite being buried in rubble, seemed to be intact and locked. A few axe swings later, the riches accumulated by generations of an Iranian trading family became the property of a scrawny orphan teenager.
Spoiler :

I don't really care to explain every single tech we get. You might notice that most of these had been mentioned during city conquest.
My usual modus operandi when getting :science: for an “old” tech from conquest is to put it on top of the research queue. Almost always it gets done in (less than) one turn, with a Tech Diffusion boost and a nice overflow into a more “modern” tech.
Spoiler :

HEAR HEAR!
The most honourable representatives of the Noyyau Noble Houses are called by the King to convene in Noyyau, to discuss how the Kingdom should develop next.

More precisely, King John would ask the Nobles' intentions regarding what to focus on:
-should the Kingdom now focus on developing the conquered cities and territories, and settle the eastern coast (ex-Czech lands) at a later date?
In this case, more workers and missionaries would be trained, and buildings built in developing towns. The only new troops would be garrisons for the existing cities (barring any sudden invasion, obviously).

-or should the Noyyau first fill up all available land, and then work on developing the land and the town?
In this case, more settlers and garrison units would be trained, as necessary to settle and protect, and workers and infrastructure would wait.

To His glorious and honorable majesty King John the first of his name

The Matriarch of Giacola wishes to petition the king for a favor. A group of her children have been caught in a shameful drunken stupor or engaging in act of youthful indiscretion. The charges which are brought against them are not so great as to warrant the House of Giacola's usual "permanent" solutions, but not light enough that the House wishes to simply reassign them to positions in the far reaches of the empire. No to erase the shame they have brought to the house they must be sent beyond the Empire. Now the matriarch wishes to avoid banishment because she loves all her children even the ones not of her bloodline specifically, and the other members are in agreement because if these rebellious spawns were turned out without any provisions made for them they may join another kingdom and bring even more shame and dishonor upon their house. Due to this, the matriarch requests the king sanction these children to become a unit within his army and spend their lives fighting in the cause of the Noyyau in any capacity they are most useful. The House of Giacola are willing to cover all the expense, all the matriarch requests is that the king train these children in the arts of war. She is their mother and does not wish for their death, even if she is angry at their actions.

From Gia Palma, reigning matriarch of the House of Giacola

(For those confused by the reference to the children they aren't all actual children of the matriarch, but rather, due to the fractured nature of the House certain rituals and laws were implemented to bind the scattered members of the House closer together. The establishment of the "head" of the Giacola, and the reference to him/her as mother or father is a part of that development. The children are simply scions of the House of Giacola.)

Fill the land

The Bureaucracy needs more room for the expanding Bureacracy !!!!

House Florentanius would like to petition his majesty King John to increase the punishment for public intoxication to encourage those who would otherwise be partaking in alcoholic beverages and causing disorder to make better choices. House Florentanius proposes that those who damage any property; public or private; be in minor cases fined the cost of repairs and a court fee, or sent to the front lines. In the event of a major offence (to be decided by the trying magistrate) be immediately drafted into the Noyyau army and sent to the front lines. If they are unable to do either of these they should then forfeit their lives to the state and be sold into slavery.

In completely unrelated :mischief: news House Florentanius is increasing their shipments of alcoholic beverages to the Noyyau army. While it is ultimately the commander's decision about the quantity that the soldiers are permitted to drink House Florentanius believes this will help keep the army happy and less likely to either rebel or get drunk off foreign beverages during an invasion.

Both. I say find a nice middle ground. Do some of both tactics to develop what we have while expanding out. This is a flexible poll because it isn't as black and white such as a civic change.

Felix II thanks all of Noyyau's nobles and His Grace for their support in these saddening times.

Top Bottom