End of the Beginning of the End

OOC: Grandkhan, you're my favorite other faction but I'm glad we're far apart lol

Wissenschaft

Leader Name: Lucanor Giovanni

Leader Background: Engineer

Starting Location: 61

Leader Background: He was born in Pergia. If someone should be blamed for this apocalypse, probably Lucanor will be the best choice. In his youth, when he was 26, he revolutionized world industry creating the Technomancy, a union of technology and magic, which allowed to develop the most destructive weapons of the mage wars. He became a celebrity, but of course, in this time he had a different name: Dr. Mattheus V. Calgori. However, as technomancy started to create weapons more and more atrocious, he began to repent of his own creation. After his wife's death, when he was 83, he realized he has thrown his life away, dedicating too much time to research that wicked technology and decided to start over, literally: He created a machine who could make him reborn, took the name of Lucanor Giovanni and founded Wissenschaft when he was 23 (again).

Origins: Warriors (Science pirates, actually)

Traits: Innovative

Capital Type: Camp (I assume that having an airship like this is not an option)

Background: Wissenschaft was created by Lucanor Giovanni to fight against the creations of his past life. In practice, they acted as sky pirates, attacking industrial zones, doing guerrilla warfare against all sides of the mage wars, and assassinating scientists and engineers from all nations that were creating weapons for the warring empires. The ultimate goal of this organization is to control the technology advancement of this world, to avoid more conflicts as the mage wars. By the time of The Sundering, Lucanor and his crew were flying on their airship, the "Brunhilde IV". Suddenly, they crashed on a new land of a new world, and the crew stablished a camp while his captain tried desperately to fix the airship.

Faction Name: Caran Tincaewen
Leader Name: Menel Aearon
Leader Background: Politician
Starting Location: 79
Leader Background: Menel is just this guy, you know? Sure, he wasn't leader before like everyone died, and people actually kinda hated him, but he sure did step up to the plate pretty fast. And that gold dust he keeps throwing everywhere is just slammin.
Origins: Elves
Trait: Adventurous
Capital Type: Elven Enclave

Unlike most elves, those of Caran Tincaewen weren't content to just lie back and wait to be rendered unto myth and only myth. Fairly isolated on a stretch of seemingly inhospitable coast (but actually pretty swell, given the fact that magic is ridiculous), they were able to steal from surrounding hinterlands and occasionally cause significant damage to human economies. They did this primarily because it was fun, but also because there was some kinda old prophecy or something predicting the end of the world and how they should probably prepare for that. But seriously, it was really fun. The raiding really took off once they discovered how to teleport folks, striking even the hearts of cities with no one the wiser. On a totally unrelated note, did you know humans and elves can have babies? Anyway, during that really big kerfuffle we just had, Caran Tincaewen waited until a lot of people were dead before deigning to just start annexing the surrounding lands (because everyone forgot about them). It worked out pretty well, but then everything blew up and they found themselves in unfamiliar seas. Literally.

The Ancient and Venerable Holdings of Dun Karaz
AKA Karaz Holdouts

Leader King Bolin Tintrue the Weary
Leader Trait: Engineer

When the Sundering struck the world, the deep halls of Dun Karaz collapsed. The dwarven population was decimated, and the royal family was crushed under the ceiling of their own palace. Having lost his family the crown fell to Bolin Tintrue, 4th cousin to the king, and 18th in the line of succession. Bolin's holdings were situated closest to the surface, and as a result were not as affected by the earth quakes that tore apart the palaces below.
Bolin's holdings, being so close to the surface, were well suited to house the great forges of Dun Karaz, as the smoke of the forge fires could easily be vented to the air above. Bolin's progressive and industrious mind made him an excellent fit to oversee the innovative minds of the forge. Under Bolin's leadership, the dwarves of Dun Karaz have embraced technology and progress as the future of their race. The dwarves of Dun Karaz, while reluctant to let go of their past, have realized that innovation, rather than tradition, will ensure the survival of their people.

Origin: Dwarves
Faction Trait: Industrious
Settlement: Dun Karaz (Dwarven Fortress)
Starting Zone: 61

The dwarves of Dun Karaz seek to excavate their once great halls, and access the resources buried far below. Once home to some of the richest mines of the world, the dwarves seek to regain their untold wealth. However, practicality has also demanded that the dwarves expand to the surface surrounding their underground home. A diet of cave fungus can only sustain a dwarf for so long, and any large scale farming effort will require a sizable amount of land.

Welcome to the game forums 'Unweeldy Gluv' and 'Koro'. Glad to have you join us.

The Moral Art,

When children come to us to learn magic, the Second Sight is the first thing that we teach. Many of those who come to us, however, already know it. There was this girl I knew, Alisa was it? She was an absolute master at this art. A dangerous girl. Perhaps that is why the King wanted her. For all his supposed wiseness, the same obsession over magical bloodline continues.

But it's cases like hers that worries me the most. It was people like her who started the War, you know. They are the kind of people who would toy with ultimate power. They are the kind of people who get so high and mighty that they stop caring about small things. That's why we teach them the Moral Art and the Second Sight. We make them soar so high that they can see the curvature of the earth. Things that seemed so tall look so small from such a height.

Let us imagine that you are a child. When you become aware of your surroundings and the hovel that you are born in, you think that it is mighty, huge even. But as you grow, it becomes smaller. Eventually, it feels so cramped that you begin to despise it. What happened? Did it shrink, perhaps, just to spite you? No. It is you who changed. The hovel just remained the same old warm house that you were raised in. It still retains the same meaning and purpose that it used to have: to protect you.

That is the point of teaching the Second Sight. You have to realize that, even though everything suddenly looks so small when you look through the Second Sight, those tiny, insignificant looking things are the same things that you thought mighty and tall when you looked with your true sight. You must understand and accept this absurdity. It is the difference between observing the world as an oversized gameboard with insignificant pieces moving about, and looking upon it as a world full of mysteries and secrets.

We call our way the Moral Art because it is about the way we see the world, not about the world itself. Maybe magic has always been in our heads, and not in the world itself. That would mean that it's just more real to us than the world is--as real to us as we are.

For those not aware from previous conversations, I am moving this week, so update is going slowly. I'm trying to have it done by Thursday, but if it isn't, expect the update to arrive next Tuesday at the earliest.

- Yang Kang, King of Shu State

Yang Kang had always disliked his life as a King. He wanted to be carefree and not have to worry about the state, to make true friends, to meet his true love. To be 'normal'. This time, he got his chance. He managed to persuade Minister Cao Bi to take control of state affairs for a week while he would dress as a poor man and roam around the Shu State.

He was walking in the outskirts of the city. As he was roaming, he was seeing some people carrying ore and heading to the construction of the fortifications and other people carrying lumber. He could also see some young people, about his age, in their early twenties, chatting and talking about their future. One of them was boasting that if Shu would form a military force, he would become the best warrior. An other was drinking Chi, a traditional Shu drink. Another was talking about the woman he loved; how they met and how they fell in love.

This was a weird experience for Yang Kang. Usually, he would hear in the Palace talks about the budget, the projects, the ore and lumber needed and other affairs of state. He would also have to read books about governance of a Kingdom. But here, instead of those boring subjects, he would hear everyday affairs. Affairs that were considered normal for other people, but were extremely weird to Yang Kang.

Yang Kang continued walking. He reached a very beautiful place, a lake surrounded by bamboo trees. The green of the forest and the blue of the lake intertwined to create a picture so beautiful that Yang Kang only in paintings had seen before. As he was gazing the lake, a figure caught his attention. A young scholar. He approached him only to realize that it was not him; the scholar was actually a woman. And a very beautiful one.

Seeing him approaching, the woman greeted him: "Honorable Mister, my name is Dong Ying. Yours?"

Yang Kang was baffled by her greeting. He was dressed as a poor man and most people, even the poor ones, did not greet him at all. And the few people who did gave him an informal greeting, like saying 'hi'. The richer ones were looking with contempt at him. But she greeted him as if he was a honorable guest.

"Hello Miss. It's an honor to meet you", Yang Kang replied. "My name is... Huang Ming."

Yang Kang did not want to tell her his real name for he had escaped from the Palace in order to be treated as an ordinary person, not as a King.

"The scenery here is absolutely magnificent, isn't it?", she said.

"Indeed." Yang Kang breathed the fresh air and could smell the fragrance of wild flowers. "I've never seen such a beautiful place...."

Dong Ying laughed. "I come here very often in order to take inspiration for my poems."

"Poems?", Yang Kang asked.

"Yes. I have a hobbit of writing short poems. My favorite ones were written here and were inspired by this extraordinary scenery."

"I would love to hear them."

Dong Ying, with her melodic voice, recited him one of her poems:

"Ripping water shimmering on sunny day,
Misty mountains shrouded the rain;
Plain or gaily decked out like Xizi;
West Lake is always alluring."

Yang Kang clapped. "Excellent poetry."

"You are overrating me", Dong Ying replied, blushing.

"Not at all. I am not one of those who would compliment the other out of politeness."

Dong Ying smiled. "Thanks. What about you?"

"Me? I do not write poetry!"

The woman laughed. "I mean what you are doing!"

Yang Kang did not knew what to say. He could not admit that he was the King. After thinking for a moment, he replied: "I am a worker."

"A worker?"

"Yes, I work in the construction of the fortifications. But today I got a day off."

"I see."

"I am not the sophisticated scholar you expected?"

"Do not worry", she replied while smiling. "I know some scholars who are far more scoundrels than workers as you."

"Dong Ying!!", a voice was heard shouting.

"It is my father", the woman said. 'I've got to leave."

"When shall I see you again!?"

"You can visit my father's house. He is Minister Dong Fang."

"Alright. See you later."

Dong Ying left and Yang Kang remained alone besides the lake. For the first time in his life, he felt the bitterness of parting. Was he, for the first time in his life, truly in love?

Right I finished my nation.

I think.

If anyone wants to offer a literary analysis of it, please do so, because I have no goddamn idea what any of it means.

Shameless bump, but I'm still really looking forward to this.

This is still happening. If it wasn't for CFC the update would have been done already. Because of that, expect the update's arrival some time tomorrow or Tuesday.

There is always room for more. Especially since i way overshot the number of provinces I was going for.

Faction Name: Clan Blackfist
Leader Name: Oren Blackfist
Leader Background: Warrior
Starting Location: Zone 120
Leader Background: Oren is a strong warrior and an advocate for dwarven craftsmanship. He oversaw the creation of the fortress his people live in, and lead the expedition to clear out the resistance that once occupied those underground tunnels. Oren has no ill-will toward Humans or Elves, but will do whatever it takes to advance his clan and put down any threat to him or his people.
Origins: Dwarves
Traits: Innovative
Capital Type: Dwarf Fortress
Background: The Blackfist Clan has been led by one Blackfist after another. Ever since the dwarves went into hiding, the Blackfist clan has moved from underground passage to underground passage in hopes of finding a true home. Under the leadership of Turon Blackfist, the father of new leader Oren, they stayed put for quite some time. Turon insisted that his son study dwarf crafting in hopes his son would one day lead their clan to glory. Oren was more attracted to honing his skills with weapons than crafting, and spent most his time with a warhammer.

When the day finally came that they had discovered a new place to call home, Oren led the assault on the occupied tunnels. Turon, much older now, stayed behind to let his son lead the clan forward. Once the tunnels had been taken, and their previous dwellers handled, Turon lead the women and children in. To his surprise his son took great interest in the construction of the first true Dwarf Fortress the Blackfist Clan had ever seen.

It was a long while before the fortress was completed, but the dwarves had nothing but time. When it was finished it was a magnificent sight to behold. Turon died four days after it's completion, leaving his son, Oren, to lead the clan. Not long after, the world changed. The clan felt the shifting of the stone all around them. Violent shakes took hold of the fortress as many feared it would tumble down upon them. However, when the shaking seized, their fortress still stood. Some died, many were hurt, but the clan had survived. Not long after, Oren led a small force to the surface to discover what had happened. What they witnessed shocked the dwarf leader.

Update 1: Year 1
First Steps

Faction Reports​

Anmari Collective
Spoiler :

The Anmari Collective has begun operating in the area immediately surrounding their tower base. They attempted to begin setting up more sustainable methods of production at their tower, selling off some surplus food for construction supplies. The supplies were immediately put to use in the creation of new farming equipment and the digging of a reinforced well. The well has been effective enough, but thanks to the harshness of the terrain, no food has been produced or grown. Patrols were sent out to further explore the Icy Finger and find anything of value. Unfortunately they found nothing particularly useful, no salvage or weapons, though they did encounter the indigenous wildlife. Large cats with great fangs roam the frozen waste, ambushing unwary travelers and patrols, hungry for any sorts of food. Mages without magicka proved to be very tasty to the felines, but the armored footmen proved to be more than a match for the creatures. There could still be more to be found in the tundra, as the Collective attempts to secure its foundation.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

-55 Food, +450 Ore, +650 Lumber from market trading
-450 Ore, -650 Lumber from construction
-1 Footman, -2 Mages from patrol losses
+15 Population from natural growth
-522 Food, -482 Water from consumption
+16 Magicka from generation

Challenge: Some of our people have ideas at least to resolve the water shortage problem. They suggest that some of our population could be dedicated towards building fires and simply melting the ample snow and ice surrounding the tower. This could generate a ready supply of fresh water for our people, but could have unknown risks, as who knows what contaminants could exist in fresh-fallen snow. Also, we would have to dedicate a portion of our population to this labor, removing them from other tasks. How do we respond to this proposal?

Blackwood Elves of Unkurra
The Elves of Blackwood were a secretive tribe, protective of the ancient and magical forest that was their home. Their leader, Suramin of Blackwood, and his betrothed, the majestic Merowid of Blackwood, were compassionate, benevolent leaders. When the mage wars struck, a rift was formed between the Blackwood elves: many wished to stay and defend their home, many wished to flee. Merowid, torn by the love she has for Suramin, made the choice to abandon their home, taking many of the Blackwood elves with her. To most of the Elves, it was clear that to stay was suicide. Suramin, foolishly brave, stayed to fight. Merowid and her Elves travelled day and night, but there was no refuge from violent conflict. That is, until they stumbled upon Ukurra, a Dwarven Fortress, empty of all residents except for a single, lonely King: Kynwal Sulfur-Rust the Tall. Kynwal invited the Elves to take home in Unkurra, and together their Elven magic and Dwarven expertise were used to strengthen the walls and save them from the chaos of the Mage Wars. Merowid marries Kynwal in a marriage born of necessity, not love, solidifying the Blackwood Elves with a new home. The remaining Blackwood Elves, far from their ancestral home and partitioned from their families and communities, look to Kynwal and Merowid of Unkurra, their King and Queen, to guide them into the future.

Spoiler :

Challenge: We no longer know where we are, and the world has changed dramatically from what it had been. Our people are on the verge of panic and look towards the leadership for answers. What do we tell them has happened?

Bone Ridge Covenant
When the mage-wars came, Von Lubt-Slgmaringen ordered his Baron, Clemens von Eicknach to hold firm, to stand against the magelings and their summoned creatures but, ultimately the order was all he gave. There would be no respite. Within four months of closing the great doors, a new sort of threat made itself known. Sneaking in through small cracks and shafts the dwarves kept to maintain their air-supply and to mirror in sunlight for their crops, the creatures were unknown to Eicknach and his vassals. Appearing as demonicly twisted bat-like creatures, they would spread their wings wide and a green and yellow fire would burst from the underside of their wings. The blood-mages of Mictl, who sacrificed virgins and innocents to summon devils and demons had come and they would not be denied. Waves of demonic fiends were sent against the defenders. Von Eicknach stood firm but very soon the grand hall had fallen to the Mictl and the baron was forced to fight a guerilla resistance from the twisting halls and mining shafts of his home as his people’s children and women were sacrificed at a Mictl alter erected under the grand intricately carved stalagmite of the central hall…

…As the demons faded away and the dwarves of the Eztli, for this now was the name of the dwarven hold once known as Weißkamm, rebuilt, they began to grow curious of the lands beyond their great secret doors. Tlachinolli ordered them opened and when he did, a great shaking and magical lightning swam and flew throughout the aether and the stone. And the dwarves of Eztli looked out upon a new land unknown to them and looking back at their great white ridges, the soaring heights and dizzying chasms of their mountain home, they beheld where the bodies of the Mictl had gone, for great spires of stone rose from the ridges like stakes and from these spires hung the dismembered bodies, limbs, and heads of the Mictl and their demonic servants, half encased that their skeletons never be recovered from Prince Illearth’s stony embrace.

Full Story

Spoiler :

Challenge: We no longer know where we are, and the world has changed dramatically from what it had been. Our people are on the verge of panic and look towards the leadership for answers. What do we tell them has happened?

Caran Tincaewen
Unlike most elves, those of Caran Tincaewen weren't content to just lie back and wait to be rendered unto myth and only myth. Fairly isolated on a stretch of seemingly inhospitable coast (but actually pretty swell, given the fact that magic is ridiculous), they were able to steal from surrounding hinterlands and occasionally cause significant damage to human economies. They did this primarily because it was fun, but also because there was some kinda old prophecy or something predicting the end of the world and how they should probably prepare for that. But seriously, it was really fun. The raiding really took off once they discovered how to teleport folks, striking even the hearts of cities with no one the wiser. On a totally unrelated note, did you know humans and elves can have babies? Anyway, during that really big kerfuffle we just had, Caran Tincaewen waited until a lot of people were dead before deigning to just start annexing the surrounding lands (because everyone forgot about them). It worked out pretty well, but then everything blew up and they found themselves in unfamiliar seas. Literally.

Spoiler :

Clan Blackfist
The Blackfist Clan has been led by one Blackfist after another. Ever since the dwarves went into hiding, the Blackfist clan has moved from underground passage to underground passage in hopes of finding a true home. Under the leadership of Turon Blackfist, the father of new leader Oren, they stayed put for quite some time. Turon insisted that his son study dwarf crafting in hopes his son would one day lead their clan to glory. Oren was more attracted to honing his skills with weapons than crafting, and spent most his time with a warhammer.

When the day finally came that they had discovered a new place to call home, Oren led the assault on the occupied tunnels. Turon, much older now, stayed behind to let his son lead the clan forward. Once the tunnels had been taken, and their previous dwellers handled, Turon lead the women and children in. To his surprise his son took great interest in the construction of the first true Dwarf Fortress the Blackfist Clan had ever seen.

It was a long while before the fortress was completed, but the dwarves had nothing but time. When it was finished it was a magnificent sight to behold. Turon died four days after it's completion, leaving his son, Oren, to lead the clan. Not long after, the world changed. The clan felt the shifting of the stone all around them. Violent shakes took hold of the fortress as many feared it would tumble down upon them. However, when the shaking seized, their fortress still stood. Some died, many were hurt, but the clan had survived. Not long after, Oren led a small force to the surface to discover what had happened. What they witnessed shocked the dwarf leader.

Spoiler :

Conclave of Alim
Spoiler :

The Conclave of Alim has begun scouting out the massive suburban ruins surrounding the tower, as it rises above the rubble. There were hardly any signs of life in the explored area, but the wildlife could easily just have been avoiding them as they wandered around. Most of the scouts were focused upon stripping lumber from the nearby neighborhoods and homes for use for future construction. Mages detected the existence of what appeared to be a form of dungeon like the heroes of old would explore for loot and treasure. Instead of a cave or lair, instead it appears to be a large mall in which the suburbanites used to shop. Hit with unknown spells, the former shoppers have become abominations of their former selves, and their guttural noises echo for miles around what the people of Alim have begun to call the Mall of the Damned. Mages are confident that should a hero or party ever breach the defenses of these unnatural abominations, great treasure could be found in the ruins.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

-250 Ore, -250 Lumber from construction
+250 Lumber from salvaging
+10 Population from natural growth
-355 Food and Water from consumption
+110 Magicka from generation

Challenge: Some of our people have found that some of the homes around the tower itself are still fairly intact and in nice condition, the inhabitants long departed and deceased. They want to leave the tower residences for their own homes in the ruins. There is a safety concern as this will expose them to any unknown creatures or raiders in the ruins. Others believe that this could help alleviate the food issue, as people begin to grow their own vegetable gardens in the suburban outback. How do we respond to this proposal?

Crimson Dragons
Spoiler :

The Crimson Dragons have experienced great change, in more ways than one. They immediately began the year by packing up camp and heading east, looking for new salvage and perhaps opportunities for wealth. They quickly passed through the D’Jeshka, leaving the forests behind, while observing the beauty of the region. The Dragons first realized that they had entered a new, very different land, when they discovered that they were walking at a ninety degree angle to the direction they had previously been heading. The land had become warped and confused, and it seemed straight lines and gravity were unorthodox in every respect. The shift had been gradual, as the Dragons entered these twisted lands, they were unable to find their way back out. They struggled through a mostly wasted land, attempting to find their way out of the unnatural labyrinth.

As the Crimson Dragons passed into an odd valley, one of the scouts began screaming. His flesh and bone had begun to fuse with that of his mount, as man and horse became one. To horrified observers, it seemed as though in a painful process, the horse’s head disappeared into the man’s torso, while his legs became fused into the horse itself, clothes and all. The lower half of the horse remained intact and jittery, attached with the upper half of the man towards the front of the body. As horrific as it was, it became worse when the observers felt a tingling and realized the same process was beginning upon them. The entire camp shrieked and whinnied in great pain and suffering, most collapsing for most of the process; man, woman, and child. Some unlucky, or perhaps lucky, ones in armor were crushed and killed when their armor fused to their bone.

Toward the dawn, as the Crimson Dragons regained consciousness, they realized they had been permanently transformed and could no longer call themselves human. Experimenting with their new bodies, they were appreciative to see that they were not changing any further. One learned individual theorized that with the change, it was possible, but not definite, they could have resistance to magical properties. He also suggested that as a creature that is both man and horse, they could have considerably more speed and adaptability than they had previously. Regardless, the camp quickly moved to a somewhat more stable part of the region, hoping to avoid another occurrence. One familiar with old myths noted the similarity between their new forms and the old creatures known as “centaurs.”

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

+600 Gold, -400 Food, -400 Water, +20 Spears, +300 Horses from market trading
-20 Population, -30 Footmen, -300 Horses from racial transformation
-400 Food and Water from consumption

Challenge: We are no longer human as we used to be. This has caused significant angst among our population, as we struggle to come to terms with what has happened. Some believe we should treat the change as a gift, helping us to become stronger than we were. Others believe we have been cursed for treading in magically tainted lands. What do we tell our people in respect to the transformation we have suffered?

Das Großoccitanian Reich
Spoiler :

The Reich has embarked on a massive amount of construction and development, selling off a large food and water surplus to help finance their progress. Merchant ship-bound traders sold off entire stocks of lumber and ore, providing the needed resources to construct a new school, among countless other improvements to increase self-sufficiency. Old farms in the area were brought back into working order, as the residents of the Reich sought to help feed their families and friends. New wells were drilled to provide drinking water, and other facilities were created to help produce new weapons of war. Unfortunately, quite a few people were killed when some of the storage facilities caught on fire, as it appears a good amount of the ore purchased turned out to be explosive in nature, leading to numerous deaths and injuries and the loss of a large amount of supplies.

Scouts were immediately sent out from the fortress, well-armed and trained for anything the new world could throw at them. They hunted what wildlife they could, also foraging abandoned crops and berries to help bolster food stockpiles at home. Most significant in their finds was the discovery of the town of Teivos, a settled and fortified town. The community appears to have been part of a nation that the Reich had previously been at war with and have been hostile towards any force approaching their walls. For the most part, fighting has been avoided but the town is clearly not offering friendship to the Reich.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

+10,000 Gold, -1,000 Food, -1,000 Water, +20,000 Lumber, +10,000 Ore
-1,500 Gold, -12,200 Lumber, -4,700 Ore from construction
-30 Population, -5,000 Lumber,-5,000 Ore from storage fire and destruction
+20 Food from foraged and hunted food
+200 Food from surplus production
-160 Water from consumption

Challenge: Some of our people are concerned about working with the rest of the ore we have retained. They are unsure which of the ores are explosive or volatile and suggest we throw it all into the sea to avoid further incidents. Despite these suggestions, no one is exactly stepping up to volunteer to be the people who do so. How do we respond to the possibly explosive minerals in our possession?

Flawirothhord
Alaricho is the second oldest son of Marcdaim Stanic Flawirotha, the ruler of Flawirothland, a minor marcdaimy in a minor nation of Old Gensin. The end of Old Gensin saw Alaricho supervising the defense and maintenance of various adventurers, farmers, miners, refugees, students, and militia against the ongoing fallout of the Great Wars. He currently has no contact with his father Stanic, his elder brother Stanic, or his younger sister Margarethe, as roads that led toward Flawirothschlos and Flawirothton have been severed. With the loss of communication, the people of Flawirothhord must now find a new course for their destiny.

Spoiler :

Followers of Orbaes
Spoiler :

The Followers of Orbaes have used their immediate starting stockpile of supplies to bring together a forge for the production of weapons, a resource they are sorely lacking. The community did the best they could to keep the farms and water production continuing at a reasonable pace to help to provide for everyone. A small number of scouts were sent out into the hills, hoping to find new resources and supplies to aid in the development of the faction. While they did find a few scattered ruins, they did not find anything small enough for their small group to actually be able to return. They also located another faction in the region, speaking an unfamiliar tongue, calling themselves the Shu State. Friendly greetings were exchanged before the Followers returned to their town. Sadly, a number of people were killed by the large number of highly aggressive bears in the region, as they attacked as though they were enraged berserkers. Others were killed when a band of poorly armed raiders attacked the town and abducted a large part of the population. The town attempted to stop them, but without fortifications or weapons, were unable to do much.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

-40 Population from raider attack
-250 Ore, -250 Lumber from construction
-10 Population from exploration losses
+16 Population from natural growth
-246 Food and Water from consumption

Challenge: The discovery of another civilized people in our region has caused some of our people to ask that we send missionaries to the so-called Shu State. They believe that our faith should be spread wherever and whenever possible. On the other hand, this could cause tensions with our close neighbors, and we are in no state for a conflict. How do we respond to this dispute?

Free Reach of Zlatokraina
Spoiler :

The Zlatokrainans have begun scouting and exploring the region surrounding the brewery as they search out good salvage and supplies throughout the ruined battlefield they now call home. Very little remained besides wreckage; this was clearly the front lines of a major conflict between great powers. Plenty of salvageable wood was discovered lining fortifications and trenches, and this was duly returned to the brewery. More importantly, a large group of interconnecting covered trenches were discovered, called the Hidden Front, and consisting of undead locked in a constant battle with each other and anyone who entered. Wraithlike creatures using the ghostly apparitions of their old firearms and swords attack each other in a fight that is unlikely to ever result in a victory. It seems very likely that great wealth or weapons could rest in the depths of the Hidden Front, for anyone brave enough to risk the excursion.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

+20,000 Gold, -1,000 Food from market transactions
-450 Ore, -950 Lumber, +300 Clubs from construction and production
+100 Lumber from salvage
+9 Population from natural growth
+1 Food, +51 Water from surplus production
+20 Magicka from generation
-3,060 Food from spoilage

Challenge: In the nights it seems as though the battlefield that surrounds us continues to be lively in action, even outside of the Hidden Front. The ghosts of the war haunt the land, but with exception of those in the Hidden Front, pose no threat to passerbys. Still, a number have begun congregating around outside of the brewery. They don’t seem to be aware of our existence, but they have begun to unnerve our people, who have requested our mages use 20 Magicka to disperse them and give them rest. How do we respond to this proposal?

Institute of the Arcane
Spoiler :

The Institute of the Arcane has begun new coursework including a significant amount of work-study programs. A good number of people have begun chopping down some of the few trees available in the region, bringing in a small amount of resources for future development. Others have gone out to find any available salvageable materials from the ruins. These have found something very disconcerting among the old farms and fields. Great beasts, likely conjured as a magical weapon during the war, have materialized and used elements of the crops against our people. Possessed with surprising strength and combat prowess, these creatures appear to be made out of corn cobs, altering their shapes accordingly. Mages believe these are actually elemental forces using the corn to take physical form and to inflict damage upon people. Quite a few people were killed when these creatures attacked the Institute and salvagers throughout the region.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

-10 Population from cornbeast attack losses
+30 Magicka from sacrificed captured wanderers
-20 Population from exploration losses
+25 Lumber from wood harvesting
+50 Lumber, +1 Crossbow from salvaging
+8 Population from natural growth
-123 Food, -323 Water from consumption
+110 Magicka from generation

Challenge: Our changed situation has resulted in the not too surprising creation of “unauthorized new students” as male and female students begin spending time more closely together. While previously many of these people had families outside of the institute, assuming they had relationships at all, they have now begun to procreate within the confines of the Institute. Some of our more senior members are opposed to these activities and suggest restrictions and careful observation of future conception occasions. How do we respond to these proposals?

Karaz Holdouts
When the Sundering struck the world, the deep halls of Dun Karaz collapsed. The dwarven population was decimated, and the royal family was crushed under the ceiling of their own palace. Having lost his family the crown fell to Bolin Tintrue, 4th cousin to the king, and 18th in the line of succession. Bolin's holdings were situated closest to the surface, and as a result were not as affected by the earth quakes that tore apart the palaces below. Bolin's holdings, being so close to the surface, were well suited to house the great forges of Dun Karaz, as the smoke of the forge fires could easily be vented to the air above. Bolin's progressive and industrious mind made him an excellent fit to oversee the innovative minds of the forge. Under Bolin's leadership, the dwarves of Dun Karaz have embraced technology and progress as the future of their race. The dwarves of Dun Karaz, while reluctant to let go of their past, have realized that innovation, rather than tradition, will ensure the survival of their people.

Spoiler :

Kingdom of Celestis
The Kingdom of Celestis, and the people of the lake, has long enjoyed their special relationship with the lake, and the god of fire that they believe to have long fell upon the earth and still dwells, deep within. Magic has always flown strong in the veins of the people of the lake, and they flow the strongest in the veins of Kings and Queens of Celestis. Show of magical force is one of the most important qualifiers of rulers' abilities. In the past, Red Priestess of the Fallen God travelled the lands, blessing the crops with the heat of the sun and good weathers. The peasants huddled by the singing voices of the nobles and the priestess in the cold of winter, warmed by magical lights that came to respond at the call.

Then the war came. The Kingdom answered the call of its allies and launched itself into battle. The strong mages and the priestess of the kingdom inflicted horrific casualties.. and suffered the same in return. In the end, as the world tore itself apart, all that remained of the Kingdom was the ruined wreckage of its capital city and the few huddled and mind-scarred masses that sought refugee within. Now, as the King awakes and surveys the lands, he must convince his people that a brighter future awaits still... and seek to preserve the magical traditions and religions now nearly lost. Perhaps, by recovering the remnants of all that was lost, they will restore the glory to the kingdom.

Spoiler :

Knights of Ynys Gaer
Spoiler :

The Knights of Ynys Gaer have entered the world, focusing on securing and exploring their immediate surroundings. In the Bravehills, they have encountered a large amount of bears in the area, but to date, the Lord Commander and his guards have kept them at bay. A limited amount of salvaging has taken place as crews strip steel and iron beams from old buildings found in the area. Two expeditions were sent out into nearby regions, the first headed east. They found that after leaving the mountains to the east, they could see plains all the way to the ocean, crossing many miles. In the center of these plains they found a small town, confused and scared at the change that had taken place. The town of Arasatos thankfully spoke a common language, allowing the two factions to converse amicably. They helped supply the expedition and sent them back home without any problems. A second expedition was sent south where they found a land flush with fruit trees and orchards. The sheer food wealth of the lands seemed too good to be true. That’s when they discovered that the lands were tended by giant ents, moving trees that cared for the groves. These creatures are great in size and strength, and several soldiers were killed after picking fruit from the trees. Both expeditions returned with their reports without further incident.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

+600 Gold, -40 Food, -40 Water, +500 Lumber, +500 Ore from market trading
+80 Ore from Bravehills salvaging
+5 Lumber from Bravehills wood harvesting
-5 Footmen from Zone 136 scouting losses
-530 Food and Water from consumption

Challenge: The discovery of a new town has led to some of our warriors advocating an expedition to take it over. They state that the local food and water production would be vital to ensuring our survival. Others claim that we should remain friendly with those we find, lest we discover our ambitions lead to hostilities from other communities that we still do not no about. How do we respond to the pressures of the war hawks?

Maig'ir zalin ra'si
Spoiler :

The elven mages have begun engaging with the more active world, even approaching human traders with magical artifacts to acquire resources they needed. A large amount of lumber was purchased, leading to the construction of a new school, to help educate the elves of the future on survival and history. More importantly, scouts were sent out, theoretically to salvage, but the groups were too small to be able to obtain anything of use. Locally, mages discovered the steppes to be populated with poisonous snakes, lurking in tall grass to bite passing creatures. Fortunately no one was killed, but observations indicated that the poison within these creatures was likely extremely deadly. Another expedition was sent much further south, finding a massive swampland spread across the area. They did find what can only be called a dungeon of monsters, full of humanoids deemed “Swampkin.” These creatures appear to be mutated humans but with no civilized customs. They believe that should a hero or party delve into the Swampkin Lair, they could find new treasure.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

+1,500 Gold, +1,000 Lumber, -50 Magicka from market trading
-1,500 Gold, -1,500 Lumber from construction
+3 Population from natural growth
-168 Food and Water from consumption
+209 Magicka from generation

Challenge: Some of our people believe that we should make peaceful contact with these “Swampkin” and send an emissary to try to communicate with them. Unfortunately, based on our scouts’ observations, it seems unlikely that they will be friendly to our efforts. Still, the pacifists argue that if we could become friendly, it could lead us to gain a powerful ally or maybe even a rare gift. How do we respond to this debate?

Pelgia
Spoiler :

The people of Pelgia have begun quickly laboring to help provide for their faction and people. As the possibility of starvation lies upon the distant horizon, they hope to provide the means to feed the army they have. Plenty of workers were dedicated towards the retrieval of lumber from the forested mountains, and hauling the wood back to the fort. A small armed force was sent into the rural areas of the mountains, hoping to scout the region and find anything of value. They were unable to find any major ruins or wreckage, or indeed any signs of human life, but discovered some of the local fauna. They have witnessed aeries of large eagles on the peaks of the mountains, capable of carrying off a full-grown man in their talons. It seems archers are significantly more effective against them than footmen, a trait that the soldiers are doing their best to remember.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

+300 Lumber from local wood harvesting
-535 Food and Water from consumption

Challenge: A legal challenge has been issued towards the emperor. A lawyer of the lost empire’s bureaucracy has stated that the emperor failed to have legal grounds for his current status, after failing to complete the requisite paperwork. According to the lawyer, paperwork is the foundation of civilization and he has some support from those who appreciate the traditions of the old ways. On the other hand, some people believe this to be a ridiculous power grab and fully support the emperor. How do we respond to this debate?

Prohibitionists
Spoiler :

The Prohibitionists have focused specifically on scouting the region around the lake in their area. For the most part they found empty hills and destruction, including ruined towns and hamlets of all types. Some old infrastructure wreckage remains of the society that once called these lands home, but it has fallen into great disrepair. More importantly, scouts reported the discovery of a proper dungeon: a large intact steel and glass tower from before the war. With a sign declaring it the House of Law, it seems to be populated by abominable creatures of fused flesh, paper, ink, and steel. These ghastly creatures talk in a bizarre form of the common tongue, and local papers deem it “legalese.” Based on the evidence found in the surrounding area, it seems as though the building used to consist of lawyers, until a legal dispute with a powerful mage. The mage cursed them into their current belligerent forms, doomed to attack any wanderers who enter the House of Law. On the other hand it is known that lawyers before the war were incredibly wealthy, and some of their treasures may lay within.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

+9 Population from natural growth
-89 Food and Water from consumption

Challenge: Our collection of wyverns, leftovers from an old local menagerie, have given rise to a new debate. Some of our people have advocated freeing them, both out of concerns of ethics and practicality. They have argued that it is not fair to keep these majestic creatures imprisoned and chained. Others state that they consume vital resources that could be better used for humans. On the other hand, some of our people believe that eventually with training and dedication, we could train these creatures to be powerful weapons in our arsenal. How do we respond to this debate?

Shu State
Spoiler :

The Shu State has entered the reforged world with substantially more caution than other factions. Rather than sending out forces to explore and ascertain their surroundings, they have sought instead to protect what they have. Using existing stockpiles, they have built a new lumber mill and limited fortifications around the community. The new lumber mill has been of limited effectiveness, due to the lack of trees in the immediate area. On the other hand the fortifications managed to impress a delegation from the group known as the Followers of Orbaes. This expedition from a community nearby helped to establish friendly contact between the two. It is hoped that with peaceful new neighbors, the Shu State and continue to thrive in a hostile environment.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

-800 Ore, -600 Lumber from construction
+18 Population from natural growth
-48 Food and Water from consumption
+20 Lumber from surplus production

Challenge: Our new fortifications are impressive, but we have no weapons with which to defend them! Some of our population suggest that we simply rely on the strong walls and ability to shove back ladders with our hands rather than wasting resources on weapons when we need other structures more immediately. Others claim that with the discovery of new neighbors, weapons are essential to protect our way of life. How do we respond to this debate?

Starborn Walkers
Spoiler :

The Starborn Walkers for the most part were dedicated towards the improvement of their home rather than extensive exploration of the world. While plans were initially devised for sailing along the coast to the west, they were scrapped when not enough materials were accumulated to actually build a second longboat. Instead they had to be content with a coastal survey of the islands and land across a nearby strait. Observations from the sea determined that the area to the southeast seems to be highly fertile farming land, still spotted with old farms and ruined towns and hamlets. The whole area seems ideal for farming, but a larger expedition would have to land to determine what insidious things could be lurking beneath the benign appearance of the landscape. On the home front, new structures of all types were constructed and production began on new weapons with which to arm a fledgling militia. It is hoped that the volunteer warriors of the Walkers will help protect the town from any outside threat.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

-200 Water from contamination
-1,440 Ore, +1,440 Lumber from market trading
-1,360 Lumber, -1,150 Ore, +1 Longboat, +20 Longswords, +20 Crossbows from construction and production
-150 Food, -170 Water from consumption
+45 Magicka from generation

Challenge: Some people have begun to complain about the forge we have recently constructed. There are concerns that ventilation in this old dungeon is not what it could be, and that the air quality is rapidly declining. It is not possible to simply move the forge, and we would have to build a new one outside of the caves should we decide to shut this one down. How do we respond to these complaints?

Stonebeard Clan
Spoiler :

The dwarves of the Stonebeard Clan have begun exiting into the world, looking to carve out their place within it. The first expedition immediately began harvesting trees that rested close towards the fortress’ entrance, bringing in the needed lumber for the creation of rudimentary weaponry. Mining has continued in the fortress’ depths, but more interest was given to a scouting expedition of the surrounding peaks. Beyond the normal small and minor wildlife, they found fierce rock elementals scattered throughout the region. These creatures of stone seem to object to the shattering of the world and have decided to take out their rage on all other beings. They are incredibly tough and after some experimentation, it has been determined to avoid them with clubs, which are mostly ineffective against the rock creatures.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

+180 Lumber from local wood harvesting
-180 Lumber, +180 Clubs from production
+6 Population from natural growth
-241 Food and Water from consumption
+250 Ore from surplus production
+15 Magicka from generation

Challenge: Dwarves have always been cautious towards those with magical talent and abilities. Now they are led by a mage who is supported by others like him. The growing suspicion created by greater knowledge of what happened to the world beyond our doors bodes poorly for the leadership. Some of the dwarves believe that a constant eye should be kept upon our mages to be vigilant against treachery. How do we respond to these paranoids?

University of the Rose
Spoiler :

The University of the Rose has had a quiet year, focusing on developing their fledgling community to a new degree of self-sufficiency. Using a stockpile of gold accumulated from past administrations, they approached merchants who survived the destruction of the world. Large amounts of lumber and varied ores were purchased to aid in construction and development of new infrastructure. Food and water production has been increased and developed, helping to provide for the people of the University. Education facilities were also constructed and established, as more advanced coursework was restored to the University’s syllabus. To protect all of these advancements, a lookout tower was established, along with substantial fortifications to prevent incursions from unknown forces. Now, with a strong base, the people of the town have much more hope for the future.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

-3,500 Gold, +2,550 Lumber, +950 Ore from market purchases
-1,500 Gold, -2,650 Lumber, -1,450 Ore from construction
-290 Food and Water from consumption
+20 Magicka from generation

Challenge: With a school established we now have a debate ongoing over what the school will emphasize teaching. Some argue that we should focus on practical lessons and development, aiding in the here and now rather than more abstract studies. Others claim that we should retain our heritage by teaching history, philosophy, and other more liberal studies. They state that should we forget the old world, we could be doomed to forget its mistakes. A third route teaching both has been recommended, but there are concerns that a generalized education is not likely to be as effective as a focused one. How do we respond to this debate?

Vinya Falas
Spoiler :

The elves of Vinya Falas have at last begun to explore the new lands they are inhabiting. Clearly they are on an unknown island, and they sought to first explore the mountains their vessel had wrecked in before moving on to the east. The local mountains have clearly been stirred up by the cataclysm that had shattered the world, as rock elementals roam angrily throughout. Thankfully, the mages’ magic has proven effective at dispatching the monsters, destroying them without any casualties among the scouts. There are still numerous rock elementals throughout the mountains, but fortunately they seem to be avoiding the main settlement. Scouts headed further east found a land of flush and prosperous hills once they exited the mountains. These beautiful lands seem to be home to a dwarven fortress and a group known as the Blackfist Clan. For the moment the dwarves are unaware of the elves’ presence and have continued with their labor.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

-1,000 Lumber, +20 Longbows from construction and production
+100 Lumber from local wood harvesting
-5 Magicka from scouting expedition losses
+3 Population from natural growth
-168 Food and Water from consumption
+50 Ore from surplus production
+209 Magicka from generation

Challenge: The discovery of an intact settlement of dwarves has led to new disputes over other races. While all are mostly agreed on the blame for the destruction of the world being set upon humans, dwarves were much like us, believed to be extinct. Still, there are those who believe enmity should be had to any that are not elves, dwarves included. How do we treat the dwarves we encounter?

Windgard
Spoiler :

The elves of Windgard have spent the year engaging with merchants and selling ancient artifacts to help spur the development of infrastructure. Thanks to a large amount of ore purchased on the new open market, the elves have done much to create a foundation for future development. A new school was created to help improve education among the younger elves, as well as to teach more advanced subjects to the older ones. Further development has led to the construction of new fortifications and defenses, to prepare for the possibility of attack. A forge and lumber mill represent the first industry being built in the area, helping to produce a number of weapons for the faction’s young militia. Also on the home front, scouts have been sent throughout the Grey Vale to determine any local threats or concerns. The elves moved like ghosts through the woods, exploring the forest. They managed to discover that a number of the trees are inhabited by spirits long thought destroyed by human industry. Many of the older trees possess these spirits that can manifest themselves and attack others, and elven scouts witnessed regular parties held by the creatures in the dark of night as they danced through the foliage.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

+1,500 Gold, -50 Magicka, +1,000 Ore from market trading
-1,500 Gold, -3,840 Lumber, -990 Ore, +80 Spears from construction and production
+6 Population from natural growth
-341 Food, -436 Water from consumption
+50 Lumber from surplus production
+343 Magicka from generation

Challenge: The tree spirits in the Grey Vale do not seem pleased with our lumber mill operations. They have not begun to attack us yet, but if we continue extensive woodcutting behavior, we could face hostility from these creatures. Some of our people believe we should let them be alone, and keep them friendly to our cause. Others believe that we have to do what we must to provide the resources we need to survive. How do we respond to this debate?

Wissenschaft
Wissenschaft was created by Lucanor Giovanni to fight against the creations of his past life. In practice, they acted as sky pirates, attacking industrial zones, doing guerrilla warfare against all sides of the mage wars, and assassinating scientists and engineers from all nations that were creating weapons for the warring empires. The ultimate goal of this organization is to control the technology advancement of this world, to avoid more conflicts as the mage wars. By the time of The Sundering, Lucanor and his crew were flying on their airship, the "Brunhilde IV". Suddenly, they crashed on a new land of a new world, and the crew stablished a camp while his captain tried desperately to fix the airship.

Lucanor was born in Pelgia. If someone should be blamed for this apocalypse, probably Lucanor will be the best choice. In his youth, when he was 26, he revolutionized world industry creating the Technomancy, a union of technology and magic, which allowed to develop the most destructive weapons of the mage wars. He became a celebrity, but of course, in this time he had a different name: Dr. Mattheus V. Calgori. However, as technomancy started to create weapons more and more atrocious, he began to repent of his own creation. After his wife's death, when he was 83, he realized he has thrown his life away, dedicating too much time to research that wicked technology and decided to start over, literally: He created a machine who could make him reborn, took the name of Lucanor Giovanni and founded Wissenschaft when he was 23.

Spoiler :

Market Prices​

Food: 1 Gold for 1 Food

Water: 6 Gold for 1 Water

Lumber: 72 Gold for 1 Lumber

Ore: 26 Gold for 1 Ore

Swords: 20 Gold for 1 Sword

Spears: 21 Gold for 1 Spear

Crossbows: 30 Gold for 1 Crossbow

Horses: 56 Gold for 1 Horse

OOC​

@Immaculate: Starting stats are determined more by selected options than stories for the time being.

@Calgori: Correct, no starting airship is possible at this time.

I’m aware that I’m contradicting myself for the time being, but I did not do the risky market thing this update. Ran into some mechanical troubles with that, and couldn’t find a way to do it that didn’t take an hour per faction while still being fair. On reflection, and with this first real update, it seems as though natural occurences and market shifts will likely make playing the market not as powerful as it was in Botwawki. It’s amazing how large piles of lumber or ore can attract fires. Also, on that note, I’ve decided Magicka cannot be traded.

@Zappericus: As you had too many construction project ongoing, only the footmen were available for scouting, the militia was too busy building stuff.

Just to be clear, I don’t imagine this being the type of game where you will have dozens of towns and outposts scattered across the map. Instead, I envision the zones and regions as more like MMO zones: enough for maybe one to three towns or outposts, and most factions not having more than a single town per zone.

@Grandkhan: While theoretically you can get ore without needing a mine, in a zone like yours, you won’t.

@Terran_Emperor and Shadowbound: As noted above, Magicka is no longer available to be sold or bought, but because you did that before the rule was fully implemented, we’re all good.

@thomas.berubeg: Not sure how you planned on buying that much Lumber with sale of that much Ore. You could only manage an even exchange at the prices those two resources were at for the time. Some construction may not have been completed. Items listed first in your orders were given priority.

@Scarlet_King: You did not have enough gold to complete all of the purchases you were trying to make. 100 units of Lumber were not purchased.

@Decamper: Not sure where you got that you had 1,600 Ore and Lumber from. You had that much Food and Water, but not of other resources. Therefore not all of your spending orders could be completed.

For those interested, I have added a new building to the front page, the Magicka Siphon. This new building allows you to steal magicka being generated by magic deposits, creatures, and other factions. It effects only the zone it is built in.

STAY TUNED FOR A POST AFTER THE UPDATE ILLUSTRATING THE REVISED REVISION OF OPEN MARKET RULES.

World Map​

Spoiler :

As promised, it's time for me to go over the open market rules. I've been having some difficulty balancing the market and what it can do. Consider the changes part of the world's settling after the cataclysm that took place. A wizard did it.

From here on out, almost all factions are limited to only buying one type of resource and selling one type of resource each turn. You cannot buy and sell the same resource in the same turn. So you can sell water and you can buy food, but you cannot sell both water and food. For the time being, this is to represent the difficulty even merchants have in traveling the world and setting up large supply orders or even buying things. Once the world stabilizes and infrastructure develops that connects the world, the situation will change.

For the time being, the only exception to this rule are leaders with the Merchant trait. Merchants can buy and sell as much as they like at any time.

Lastly, it should be recognized that while the whole short-lived "risky business" (which took way too long to do) has passed for the open market, trading between players will still need to be protected, lest caravans are hit by raiders or creatures. You've been warned.

Top Bottom