Windows 10

About 2 years ago i switched from XP to Win7. I donnot regret this. So in principle switching to a moderately modern operating system seems like a good idea. The devil is in the detail, though.

To those saying they had no luck with the patches from the German site, what exactly did you do, and do the error messages differ from before and after?

I'm asking because the archive contains multiple things including patches to the latest version of the standalone installation as well as with add-ons, but if you are already up to date you actually only need two things:

"Civilization 3 PC Games Patch mit Conquest v1.29f (d).zip" contains the NoCD version of the vanilla 1.29f "Civilization3.exe", and "Civilization 3 - Conquest PC Games Patch für v1.22 (int).zip" contains the NoCD version of the conquests "Civ3Conquests.exe".

Manually replacing your existing game executables with those two should successfully remove the SafeDisc protection causing the Windows 10 troubles, unless there is other issues as well of which I'm not aware of.

I've just carried out a brand-new instalation of Civ III Complete on Win 10 32 bits, and works without problems, apart from the usual messing up of the screen resolution.

...sounds basically like a problem with the Steam Version.
Check with the people at Steam for help with their version because they have differences compared to buying Civ III Complete.

I do not yet have Windows 10 but perhaps it is like Windows 8 or 8.1 where you can install the Game directly to your Desk Top to avoid game files and saved games from being placed in the Virtual Store.

I, too, am troubled by the topic of this thread. I hate Windows and only use it with a gun pointed at my head. I think I am playing Civ III on Windows 7 or Home Office or some such crap, using Steam. I am now being prompted, every time I log in, to get my free upgrade to Windows 10. Not on your nelly. I know what will happen if I do. Do the Steam people take care of such things for me? That is to say, can they be relied upon to have raced ahead to switch the points so that the train does not veer off the rails when transiting from 7 to 10? Or do they simply not give a darn? :(

I am now being prompted, every time I log in, to get my free upgrade to Windows 10.

To get rid of the notifications just:
  1. Right click on the Taskbar.
  2. Click PROPERTIES.
  3. Then select CUSTOMIZE by the Notification Area.
  4. Find GWX – Get Windows 10 in the Notification Area Icon list and change it to "Hide Icon And Notifications".
  5. Click OK.

Also quoting myself from the other Windows 10 thread:

Follow-up: I've had a chance to play around with Windows 10 on my Nephew's computer for a few days since I didn't want to install it yet on mine. I'd still recommend waiting a few months to upgrade if you're just an average user. For the most part 10 was superior to 8.1, but there are a few issues that bug me - especially the forced auto updates, which played havoc with some of his drivers. Also, from what I understand there is a planned major update coming in October (10.1?), which should have most of the major bugs worked out.

To get rid of the notifications just:
  1. Right click on the Taskbar.
  2. Click PROPERTIES.
  3. Then select CUSTOMIZE by the Notification Area.
  4. Find GWX – Get Windows 10 in the Notification Area Icon list and change it to "Hide Icon And Notifications".
  5. Click OK.

Also quoting myself from the other Windows 10 thread:

Thanks for the advice. However, you vastly over-estimate me. What is 'the task bar'?

Thanks for the advice. However, you vastly over-estimate me. What is 'the task bar'?

The bar at the bottom of the screen, where the "quick quick use icons" are. ;)

waiting a few months to upgrade if

As an IT worker, I can't stress this enough. This is always a good idea, specially with a major software, like an operating system, or a new Office version. There are always bugs, and some can be nasty. I have W10 installed only on a test laptop, ie, one I can re-format if needed. I won't do a live instalation for the next 4-5 months... :scan:

Windows 10 removed a driver (SECDRV.SYS) which is required by the SafeDisc copy protection included in Civ3 and a lot of other games from that era. The game may include an old 32-bit unsigned version of that driver itself, but that can't run on modern Windows versions.

I'm not sure if the Windows 8.1 version of that driver can be installed in Windows 10, but it is probably easier to get a version without copy protection instead. There is even an official one due to lots of people having problem with a Civ3 copy included in a German PC games magazine years ago.

The following site included a patch archive which includes No-CD versions of both the vanilla game and conquests. You should be able to just replace your existing Civilization3.exe and Civ3Conquests.exe (after making copies of your originals), it works without problems on English versions of the game.

http://www.pcgames.de/Civilization-...-Civ-3-Vollversion-Hier-gibts-Abhilfe-401682/

The instructions are in german and I'm afraid 2 years of high school german decades ago did not prepare me for this task. Is there somewhere where the instructions have been translated?

Those instruction only say that you should install the regular Patches first and the NO-CD-Patches second.

OK, thanks Just a Nick

But, well, I am not sure which patch is which (it seems as if there are more than one for each version in the large zip file) and if I need to patch Civ III and PTW and Conquests, or just conquests?

Is there a seperate Patch firr PTW? I thought there was only the one for Vanilla and Conquests? After all conquests does include PtW.

1. It is the (for me) common procedure to patch Vanilla first and and Conquests second. I am not quite sure how necassary this it, but that way you are on the save side.

Now, the NO-CD-patches only apply to properly patched versions. So after completing 1 you can install the No-CD-Patches. As they only replace the executable the sequence does not matter, in fact you can entirely skip the NO-CD-Patch for Vanilla if you only want to play Conquests as i do.

"Civilization 3 PC Games Patch ohne Conquest von v1.21f (d)" and "Civilization 3: Conquest PC Games Patch für v1.22 (int)" are the NO-CD-Patches. Only those appear to be relevant, the regular patches are something you can get elsewhere. In fact you might want to skip the regular Patches as they contain the german translation. You might find that to be inconvient.

Also there appear to be a complete Patch "Civilization 3 PC Games Patch mit Conquest v1.29f (d)" which contains all Patches in one installation file. But once again i assume those are with the german translation file.

So in the end it is probably best to patch your game with the international versions of the Patches first and install the translation neutral NO-CD-Patches second.

PS: I did not test what i wrote here. I just summarized what PC Games wrote and added some of my understanding.

ynot56 - If you already have the full version of C3C or Complete installed on your system via CD then you don't need to worry about the patches. Just download the whole patch kit from the pcgames.de site and look for the "Civilization 3 - Conquest PC Games Patch für v1.22 (int)" zip file. Extracting it will give you a folder with a "Civ3Conquests" .exe file in it. Rename it to "Civ3Conquests No CD" and copy it to your "Civilization III Complete\Conquests" folder and run it instead of the regular exe file.

I got this no-CD version to work, but the files are invisible to Win Explorer, so I cannot tell where these are, what these are, and most importantly cannot get rid of the old save files. What's the trick???

Top Bottom