To The Great Beyond - Space Empires!

Nice to see orders coming in, thanks guys!

Skitarii were not even mentioned in T0 update :,(

will do orders asap

I deliberately did not mention half the players. This is something I used to agonise over in updates - not just mentioning everyone, but mentioning them equally, arghh, etc. That is also one reason why a lot of my games slowed to a crawl and died. *Whereas* in this case I was able to get the update finished on a Friday night, after a busy week, still hungover from a big night out with my new work colleagues on Thursday ;)

So if you can deal with it, I'm going to be a bit 'deliberately focused' when it comes to update mentions. I'd really like this to be a long-lasting game, and one that updates regularly(!). So ideally there's going to be plenty of time to weave together a narrative. I'm aware there's a lot of player backstory I haven't touched on yet.

On which note, I don't actually have a lot to work with when it comes to the Skitarii Mercantile Conglomerate - all I know is they are cybernetic humanoids, and that's cool, but I'd rather not invent a backstory for them and then have you not like it ;)

WIP: I've updated Stats & Discovered Planets & Map for 7 players including myself. Some of these blobs are now expanding. 12 players remain. Would love to have more orders to work with :)

You now have about 48 hours to get orders in.

Speaking of, since everyone seems to be copying your example orders, do you want a specific format, or just the necessary details?

Also, do you have a general scale for distance/time/real-world EP equivalency, or do we just make it up as we go?

Speaking of, since everyone seems to be copying your example orders, do you want a specific format, or just the necessary details?

At this point, just the necessary details. Seon posted a brief description of what he wanted to do and that is fine. A format may be useful later, but we'll see.

Also, do you have a general scale for distance/time/real-world EP equivalency, or do we just make it up as we go?

I'm not too sure what you're asking so I'll try to cover all bases ;) : I'm imagining the default ship range on the map is about 5 light-years. The turn is also about 5 earth years long, so you see that the current FTL tech is only just skimming around light speed. As for EP, I think the entire productive output of our planet Earth right now is maybe one/two points of EP over five years, if it were placed in this game.

Oh goodie, I can post this tonight:

Starship Murdizh prepares to venture beyond solar system

The excitement at SCEDA headquarters is overwhelming. After satisfactory intra-system tests of the experimental jump engine, researchers have approved voyage by a crewed ship beyond Preosa.

The decision comes fifteen years after the jump engine's first interstellar test through robotic exploration craft. The research probes Makim 1, Makim 2, and Margamir were dispatched to the nearest stars, successfully reaching orbit between four and seven years. While Makim 2 was pulled off-course by rogue orbiting bodies and prematurely lost power, the remaining probes maintained radio contact for roughly a decade.

Translation of the jump engine to manned spacecraft met with numerous hurdles. Common concerns focused on whether the device was powerful enough to be used on large ships, and whether the displacement effect interfered with organic processes. Rigorous laboratory and field testing have since alleviated these concerns, although widespread trepidation remains over a crewed mission, as a mechanical failure could strand the vessel beyond rescue capability.

SCEDA's director, Noore Iraizh, asserts the upcoming mission has undergone "aggressive risk modelling" and abides by "the strictest safety protocols", stating he holds "utmost confidence" in its success.

The ambitious operation aims to send a crewed ship to the star NRA-44. While it is only the second-closest system to Preosa, it is notable for radio signals picked up by Makim 2, prompting widespread speculation it may be host to a sapient civilization.

"Makim 2 ended its mission earlier than planned," explains Iraizh, "We know NRA-44 has orbiting bodies, but we know next to nothing about what they are."

The undertaking vessel, Cruiser Murdizh, saw front-line action in the Planetary War, and was one of the first ships to implement the jump engine's war-time prototype. Ship's captain Saire Kallet says she looks forward to the journey, calling it "an opportunity unparalleled, and one of the most important scientific endeavours of our civilization."

Asked her thoughts on the prospect of finding advanced life, Kallet replied: "Of course the crew hopes for amicable first encounters ... [but] We've dealt with alien invasions before. Whatever comes, we'll be ready."

Murdizh is currently undergoing final assessment and cargo refits for a voyage expected to take a total of ten to twelve years. The mission is scheduled to launch later this month.

Stabilizing Directorate of the Hlur-Baiheen: Lord_Iggy
Trader Brooders
Habitat: Avg-Grav, Thick-Atmos, Forested, Hot, Mountainous
100% Hlur-Baiheen population
Culture is considered Rather Interesting
Morale is High
Society is Slightly Unstable

Tech Projects: 1 project slot empty

Economy:
1 Metropolis World
1 Food eaten, +4 wanted
1 Minerals used, +2 wanted
1 Luxuries enjoyed, +1 wanted
0 Oddities explored, +2 wanted
0 goods traded (*2 Consumer Goods surplus)
= 4 EP income

Costs:
1 Explorer (x1)
1 Freighter (x0.25)
= 1EP upkeep

=3 EP banked, treasury is now 5EP

Seeoo: scenic terrestrial world with thick hazy atmosphere punctured by towering trees and mountains; over-stressed native ecosystem
Env (3EP): Avg-Grav, Thick-Atmos, Terrestrial, Oceans, Forested, Hot, Mountainous
Resources (4EP): 2x Minerals, 2x food, 1x Luxuries

2 EP to build a new Explorer.

1 EP to exploration and colonization of Dak-1. Explore Dak-1 with Explorer, harvest resources with Freighter.

5 EP to begin tech project 'Atmosformer', an autonomous interstellar device which can be remotely dispatched to alien worlds to begin generating an appropriate atmosphere and aeroplankton biota for eventual Hlur-Baiheen colonization.

The Skitarii Mercantile Conglomerate: Zappericus
Engineer Traders
Habitat: Med-Grav, Med-Atmos, Terrestrial, Poisonous, [Engineers*]
100% Skitarii population
Culture is considered Dull
Morale is Adequate
Society is Stable

Economy:
1 Industrial World
0 Food eaten, +2 wanted
2 Minerals used, +4 wanted
1 Luxuries enjoyed, +0 wanted
0 Oddities explored, +1 wanted
0 goods traded (*2 Industrial Goods surplus)
= 4 EP income

Costs:
1 Explorer (x1)
1 Freighter (x0.25)
= 1EP upkeep

= 3 EP banked, treasury is now 5EP

Typhomorpin: terrestrial world with heavy industrial pollution and decimated native life
Env (4EP): Med-Grav, Med-Atmos, Terrestrial, Mineral-Rich, Poisonous
Resources (3EP): 2x Minerals, 1x Food, 1x Luxuries
Hazards: toxic smog, electrical storms (!!)

- Harvest resources with Freighter.
- Expansion is required. Send Explorer to Daz-1 to commence appropriate scans.

- Spend 1 EP on 1 Freighter
- Spend 2 EP on 1 Warship

* Bank the rest

Project: [Automated Fabrication Module] - Our genetic coding dictates that we expand our industrial capabilities. We will look into a machine which will automate and increase the productivity of our industrial factories.

The landing bay of Terminus 3 was packed beyond capacity for the historic launch.
Every Kowlinti present was adorned in their best formal caparison and sash. To preserve the dignity of the occasion all attendees were required to have ferromagnetic shoes fitted on all hooves and a constant downdraft was circulating to keep their fur and caparisons flat against their bodies. The effect was somewhat spoiled as many were having some trouble keeping the nervous energy in check causing the bay to be filled with tiny clinks as rear legs were involuntary raised then hastily placed back on the deck.

Nano-toughened glass had been placed across the landing bay's aperture to allow the assembled journalists and dignitaries to see the Perrel attached to a docking strut opposite. Beyond the exploration vessel spotlights illuminated the carcass of the freighter Vontan, although construction had been paused during the launch ceremony.

As the appointed hour drew close Jezen Fillar Optarat, chair of the Confederal Presidential Council, stepped onto the dais. Being born on a lunar colony he showed none of the unsteadiness that many Torhenn raised Kowlint showed on the mag-plating. The crowd went silent as he took his place behind the podium with the great ship above his left shoulder.

"We have made many mistakes," he began, "we failed to learn from those that went before us and repeated their folly. Fortunately we survived and we learned, and now we will make the journey that will ensure the Kowlint will survive until the stars grow dim.
"When Gorlon Trenem Perrel first deciphered the Vorn star maps he could not have forseen that we would surpass our predecessors and travel to those stars, nor could Yirin Janaan Vontan when she turned that ancient telescope to the sky to view them directly but soon Kowlint hoofprints will leave their impressions in the dirt of a world illuminated by a strange sun. The explorers aboard the Perrel shall see with the light from the star we call Teqel and bring Kowlint civilisation to its planets and from there they shall explore its neighbours.
"But every grerat journey begins with one small step. It is my great honour to be the one to release the Perrel from the shackle that holds it to Torhenn," as he spoke Jezen pressed the button on the podium and the Perrel was released from the docking clamps, "and bid him good fortune on this historic voyage."

With thrusters flaring the voidship repositioned himself, angling his nose away from the sun. The vanes that would generate the Schfik field extended, then crackled with energy as the field powered up and then the ship was gone.

The crowd exploded in shock.
"Please keep calm," said Jezen, "everything is proceeding as expected. At superluminal speeds we are unable to see the Perrel move with the Schfik drive. This is the same effect that was seen with our successful in-system test probes. We have set up a monitoring station at the edge of the system to verify his progress. It will take about a day for the Perrel to pass the station and a little longer for the data to be sent back. The Interstallar Project Group will provide as press release as soon as the data is received. Now if you would care to make your way to the reception rooms I will be pleased to answer any questions. Thank you."

Explorer and diplomat to DAK-515, auto colonise with 4EP.

Instigate project - World Ring, an artificial ring orbiting the equator of the planet containing loading docks, dry docks and crew quarters, connected to the surface by multiple space elevators. Reduces construction and operating costs of vessels in the system. 1EP/turn.

Adding 1 EP towards freighter construction to these orders.

Tarnakkian Empire: Golden1Knight
Duelist Materialists
Habitat: Avg-Grav, Avg-Atmos, Terrestrial, Forested
100% Tarnakki population
Culture is considered Interesting
Morale is High

Economy:
1 Metropolis World
2 Food eaten, +2 wanted
1 Minerals used, +1 wanted
1 Luxuries enjoyed, +2 wanted
0 goods traded (*1 Consumer Goods surplus)
= 5 EP income

Costs:
1 Warship (x 1)
2 Troops (x 0.5)
= 2EP upkeep

= 3 EP banked, treasury is now 6EP

Tarnakk: varied terrestrial world with abundant native life surviving amongst giant metropolises
Env (2EP): Avg-Grav, Avg-Atmos, Terrestrial, Ocean, Forested, Hot
Resources (3EP): Minerals x2, Food x3, Luxuries x1
Hazards: indigenous life (!)

My warship will go to Yrt-2 (committing 4EP to auto-colonisation), with one of our troops on board.

Also, I'll build one Exploration Ship (2 EP).

The other troop will stay home to enforce the will of the Emperor.

Spending: 4 EP Auto-colonisation, 2 EP Expl. Ship.

STATS said:
The United Tac: Erez87
Trader Negotiators
Habitat: Avg-Grav, Thick-Atmos, Hot, Wet, Forested
100% Tacci population
Culture is considered Somewhat Interesting
Morale is Very High
Society is Somewhat Stable

Economy:
1 Metropolis World
2 Food eaten, +3 wanted
0 Luxuries enjoyed, +2 wanted
= 4 EP income

Costs:
1 Diplomat (x0.5)
1 Freighter (x0.25)
= 0 EP upkeep

= 4 EP banked, treasury is now 6EP

Tacci: large, flat terrestrial world with thick atmosphere and largely tropical swamp climate; abundant native life survives alongside urbanisation
Env (2EP): Avg-Grav, Thick-Atmos, Terrestrial, Hot, Wet, Forested
Resources (3EP): 2x Minerals, 3x Food
Hazards: indigenous lifeforms (!)

6EP
-2EP build 1 exploration ship and send it to Zen9 and explore it. If any fuel is left send it to other nearby systems.
-4ep COLONISE - in particular towards Zen9. We need food!

The Beast's Crusade: Angst
Survivalist Zealots
Habitat: Avg-Grav, Avg-Atmos, Terrestrial, [Survivalist*]
100% Varyn population
Morale is Adequate

Tech Projects: 2 project slots empty

Economy:
1 Tech World
0 Food eaten, +2 wanted
1 Minerals used, +3 wanted
1 Luxuries enjoyed, +0 wanted
1 Oddities explored, +1 wanted
0 goods traded (*1 Tech Goods surplus)
= 3 EP income

Costs:
1 Warship (x0.75)
1 Troops (x0.25)
= 1EP upkeep

= 2 EP banked, treasury is now 5EP

Dry Sea: radiated terrestrial world with devastated ecosystem and few surviving native species
Env (4EP): Avg-Grav, Avg-Atmos, Terrestrial, Mineral-Rich, Arid, Radiated
Resources (4EP): 2x Minerals, 1x Food, 1x Oddities (relics of 'the Beast')
Hazards: global dust-storms (!)

5 EP available.

Move 1 WARSHIP, 1 TROOPS from DRY SEA to OLC-2.
Then 5 EP to Auto-Colonize OLC-2.
The Crusade is open for trade. :)

The Qui'Kho Empire: Tyo
Collector Hunters
Habitat: Avg-Grav, Avg-Atmos, Terrestrial, Forested, Hot
100% Qui population (all breeds)
Culture is considered Somewhat Interesting
Morale is High

Economy:
1 Metropolis World
2 Food eaten, +3 wanted
= 5 EP income

Costs:
1 Explorer (x1)
1 Warship (x1)
= 2EP upkeep

=3 EP banked, treasury is now 6EP

Schreikne Quil: verdant terrestrial world with diverse native life surviving amongst giant metropolises
Env (2EP): Avg-Grav, Avg-Atmos, Oceans, Terrestrial, Forested, Wet, Hot
Resources (3EP): 2x Minerals, 2x Food, 1x Luxuries

1 EP - Construct a Freighter.
2 EP - Construct an Explorer.
3 EP to Auto-Colonization, with a mission emphasis on food.

Send one explorer to the closest star, Zal-80, and the other explorer to the second closest star, Ten-22.

Spoiler :
Dscheri Isonomic Nations: Exhera
Philosopher Culturalists
Habitat: Lo-Grav, Thick-Atmos, Terrestrial, Cold
100% Dscheri population
Culture is considered Very Interesting
Morale is Very High

Economy:
1 Metropolis World
2 Food eaten, +3 wanted
= 5 EP income

Costs:
1 Diplomat (x0.5)
1 Star Fighter (x0.5)
= 1EP upkeep

= 4 EP banked, treasury is now 7EP

Dschera: diverse terrestrial world with thick atmosphere and rich airborne life surviving amongst giant trees and giant metropolises; is a moon of a larger rocky world
Env (2EP): Lo-Grav, Thick-Atmos, Terrestrial, Oceans, Cold, Forested
Resources (2EP): 2x Minerals, 2x Food, 1x Luxuries

The formal title is the Peaceful Union of Democratic Dscheran Isonomic Nations.

Make an exploration ship for 2EP.

Start a project for 5EP.

The Statue of Schadeuschklikiaschu
The statue will be an enormous monument dedicated to the great monarch Schadeuschklikiaschu, made out of the finest minerals on the planet. (Size comparable to Christ the Redeemer). This is the funds dedicated to the foundation and whatever else can be made. More will be invested later.

It will not only function as a great monument, but also as a telecommunications tower and government building.​

Spoiler :
Flallorean Collective: Lord_Herobrine
Engineer Traders
Habitat: Avg-Grav, Avg-Atmos, Terrestrial, Ocean, [Engineer*]
100% Flallore population
Morale is Rather High
Society is Stable

Tech Projects: 2 project slots empty

Economy:
1 Tech World
1 Food eaten, +1 wanted
2 Minerals used, +2 wanted
0 goods traded (*2 Tech Goods surplus)
= 5 EP income

Costs:
1 Warship (x1)
1 Explorer (x1)
= 2EP upkeep

= 3 EP banked, treasury is now 6EP

Desmong: arid mountainous world with reduced ocean; diverse native life
Env (3EP): Avg-Grav, Avg-Atmos, Terrestrial, Ocean, Mountainous, Arid, Mineral-Rich
Resources (3EP): 2x Minerals, 2x Food, 1x Luxuries

Construction/ Spending:
-Construct one Freighter. 1EP

Movements:
-Send my Explorer, led by my Warship, to Kat-33 in exploration and to establish a colony. Expend up to 5EP for such.

Thankyou guys, and thanks for your patience with my dithering so far. Great to see the stories. Please trust me. THIS IS WHERE IT GETS GOOD.

24 hours remain for Turn 1 orderage.

PS: I meant to share this video. It's partly what helped to inspire this game. So much epicness in just one planet, imagine :D

Link to video.

CLARIFICATIONS

Its come to my attention I really need to clarify a few things.

A: the grey resources icons on the map - these are strong spectrography signals for biology and/or heavy elements, that you've seen through your space telescopes. But there's no guarantees until you go and survey the system up close. It could be that the resources are hard to access.

Systems without any icons on them could still have useful resources.

B: multiple player factions can share the same planet/system. Where there are empty resource slots, nobody is automatically considered owner. Its up to you guys to fight or not ;)

Please feel free to change orders based on the above, if needed!

CLARIFICATIONS X2 (sorry)

C: the amount you have to spend is your 'treasury' amount listed at the end of your stats, and only that. You can't spend your next income ahead of time, nor do you need to worry about paying upkeep or other costs unless you deliberately want to not pay it (otherwise it automatically comes out of your income).

Everyone started with a bit of extra EP in their treasury, so sorry for any confusion.

= 4 EP income

Costs:
1 Explorer (x1)
1 Freighter (x0.25)
= 1EP upkeep

Okay, now I'm really confused about the economy system.

My stats say that I have 4 Income. I assumed that I would be able to spend that this turn, but that is not the case. If so, what is the purpose for listing both an income and a treasury? And what is the difference between my treasury and what I have banked. And do you automatically pay upkeep, or do I have to pay upkeep from my treasury each turn?

Right now my understanding is that the Directorate earns 4 EP per turn, had 2 EP banked to begin with, but banked an additional 3 EP at Turn 0. Thus, I should have only spent 5 EP instead of 8 EP this turn , and I will have 3 EP in my treasury next turn from my income, minus my upkeep?

If so, here are my revised orders:

Stabilizing Directorate of the Hlur-Baiheen: Lord_Iggy
Trader Brooders
Habitat: Avg-Grav, Thick-Atmos, Forested, Hot, Mountainous
100% Hlur-Baiheen population
Culture is considered Rather Interesting
Morale is High

Economy:
1 Metropolis World
1 Food eaten, +4 wanted
1 Minerals used, +2 wanted
= 4 EP income

Costs:
1 Explorer (x1)
1 Freighter (x0.25)
= 1EP upkeep

Seeoo: scenic terrestrial world with thick hazy atmosphere punctured by towering trees and mountains; over-stressed native ecosystem
Env (3EP): Avg-Grav, Thick-Atmos, Terrestrial, Oceans, Forested, Hot, Mountainous
Resources (4EP): 2x Minerals, 2x food, 1x Luxuries

2 EP to build a new Explorer.

1 EP to exploration and colonization of Dak-1. Explore Dak-1 with Explorer, harvest resources with Freighter.

2 EP to begin tech project 'Atmosformer', a series of autonomous interstellar devices which can be remotely dispatched to alien worlds to begin generating an appropriate atmosphere and aeroplankton biota, ultimately leaving a planet suitable for eventual Hlur-Baiheen colonization.

I believe he clarified that above. Income is what you make, Banked is what you have left after upkeep is applied. Treasury is what you have total, which included some sort of starting bonus.

Top Bottom