[GEM] Kaitzilla vs. The World

I've heard that said many times but there's clearly more to it than that - as you have found!

Ya, now that I'm taking a 2nd look it appears I was wrong.
The Great General doesn't spawn in the city that built the victorious unit.

Congratulations on a great beginning of the war!

I always thought GGs spawned in a random city? Playing with named units (Unit Naming modcomp) I usually see GGs born in cities that are not the winning unit's hometown.

You are right Noyyau.
I've looked around and Dresden posted the answer 7 years ago.
It's partially random. There is both a random factor and a weighting which gives preference towards your highest population and highest yield (Food, Production, and Commerce factored individually) cities.

Spoiler Algorithm from CvPlayer::setCombatExperience :
Code:
				// create great person
				CvCity* pBestCity = NULL;
				int iBestValue = MAX_INT;
				int iLoop;
				for (CvCity* pLoopCity = firstCity(&iLoop); pLoopCity != NULL; pLoopCity = nextCity(&iLoop))
				{
					int iValue = 4 * GC.getGameINLINE().getSorenRandNum(getNumCities(), "Warlord City Selection");

for (int i = 0; i < NUM_YIELD_TYPES; i++)
					{
						iValue += pLoopCity->findYieldRateRank((YieldTypes)i);
					}
					iValue += pLoopCity->findPopulationRank();

if (iValue < iBestValue)
					{
						pBestCity = pLoopCity;
						iBestValue = iValue;
					}
				}
Yes, it does appear GGs spawn in a random city, but those with the most population and most food/production/commerce have higher odds.

I'm starting to pull the various levers and switches to get this story rolling again.
Hopefully you lurkers were entertained by the SuperBowl or that wiener dog commercial during the last 2 weeks.
Spoiler :

Just found this thread. First of all, I must curse you for writing such an excellent detailed write-up, I had important things to do today!! :gripe:

Now that I got that out of the way, thank you for sharing! Tons of valuable information in here! :goodjob: I can't believe that I didn't know about ctrl+clicking the names in the scoreboard to open up the trade screen until now. That would have been of great help in a recent G-Major...

Regarding liberating cities, the condition is not that it has to be closer to the AI capital than to your capital. It has to be closer to the AI capital than to any other capital. This is why you couldn't liberate the 2nd city to Hammurabi, it was only 5 tiles from Persepolis. You can only ever liberate a city to one AI, you never have the option to liberate to 2 different AI. If the city is at exactly the same distance to 2 different AI capitals, it appears you can only liberate it to whoever founded their capital first (probably the one of them who is first in turn order).

Deity AI starting with only warriors is no surprise. Selecting a difficulty when you start a scenario does not add any techs to the AI. This is why forum games like Nobles' Club provide different worldbuilder saves for different difficulties. If the scenario has any AI units placed on the map, those are the units they get and they won't get starting units according to difficulty level, which seems to be the case here.

Just found this thread. First of all, I must curse you for writing such an excellent detailed write-up, I had important things to do today!! :gripe:

:D
Regarding liberating cities, the condition is not that it has to be closer to the AI capital than to your capital. It has to be closer to the AI capital than to any other capital. This is why you couldn't liberate the 2nd city to Hammurabi, it was only 5 tiles from Persepolis. You can only ever liberate a city to one AI, you never have the option to liberate to 2 different AI. If the city is at exactly the same distance to 2 different AI capitals, it appears you can only liberate it to whoever founded their capital first (probably the one of them who is first in turn order).

Oh!
You're a genius Elitetroops. :love:
Yes, that perfectly explains why Gift City 2 could not be liberated to Hammy, but could be liberated to Cyrus.

Turnset 62 (T284)

T284 - Barbarians: No deaths.

Axe lost defending against Immortal 2S of Ecbatana at 0.9% odds. (Oops, forgot that could happen)

The Yue asked me to DOW Japan. No!

Israel DOW'd Germany finally after plotting for 71 turns.
I immediately canceled Open Borders with Germany.
The last scouting info from T242 indicated that Frederick's only city Berlin had 7 Archers, so Germany is certainly doomed if the war with David drags on.
Vultures eats flatland Archers for breakfast, but that 50% Wall in Berlin makes things much more even. Hmm...
Spoiler :
T242

WOW CYRUS IS AN IDIOT
He just moved half his army, 7 Spears + 1 Archer, right next to my freshly healed army of Axes. (Onto a plains tile!)
I have no words...
Spoiler :

German Reaction to Cyrus' blunder

Game over man, game over :lol:
Time for the greatest slaughter in Persia's history.

Axe won against Archer 1S1W of Ecbatana at 94.8% odds.
Axe won against Spear 1S1W of Ecbatana at 99.4% odds.
Axe won against Spear 1S1W of Ecbatana at 96.8% odds.
Axe won against Spear 1S1W of Ecbatana at 92.9% odds.
Sword won against Spear 1S1W of Ecbatana at 90% odds.
Sword won against Spear 1S1W of Ecbatana at 90% odds.
Spoiler :

Decided not to risk my Super Medic Axe at 98% odds of victory.
Will make sure to keep a Sword with him at all times to keep a lucky Immortal from assassinating him.

Now that Susa has half as many defenders as it did last turn, my main army 2W1N of Ecbatana can march forward and attempt to take the flatland city. (+20% defense)
The battle for Susa will be my 8 Swords + 9 Axes + 1 Chariot against Cyrus' force of 3 Axes + 2 Archers + 2 Immortals + 1 Spear.
The good mix of defenders means my best strategy is to just attack with whichever unit has the best odds.

Axe lost against Axe in Susa at 21.3% odds.
Sword lost against Axe in Susa at 25.1% odds.
Sword lost against Axe in Susa at 25.1% odds.
Sword won against Archer in Susa at 70% odds.
Sword won against Archer in Susa at 70% odds.
Sword won against Spear in Susa at 73% odds.
Sword lost against Immortal in Susa at 79.3% odds.
Sword won against Axe in Susa at 86.5% odds.
Sword won against Axe in Susa at 88.4% odds.
Axe lost against Immortal in Susa at 70.3% odds.
Axe won against Immortal in Susa at 99.1% odds.
Chariot won against Axe in Susa at 99.7% odds.
Axe won against Immortal in Susa at 100% odds.

Susa captured! :D
The city yielded 166:gold:, 7population, and a Granary+Lighthouse.
*The battles are getting too large to show every screenshot, so I'm going to start showing the beginning and end of the battle only.
Spoiler :

I didn't have any Swords available to attack the hilltop Archer 1N1E of Susa, but I was able to clean up Persian units elsewhere.
Axe won against Immortal 1N1W of Susa at 75.1% odds.
Chariot captured 2 Workers west of Susa.
Sword won against Archer north of Pataliputra that was trying to pillage my Iron! :lol:
Spoiler :

On the diplomatic front, another gift city arrived north of Qin's capital.
Everything went smoothly and my 2nd Liberated city got me to a whopping +14 Relations with China. (Friendly)
Spoiler :

Turnset 63 (T284 to T285)

T284 Continued - Cyrus is now down to 5 cities. (3 good ones and 2 runts)

Scouting reveals that Pasargadae is protected by 2 Axes and 1 Archer.
My Galley revealed that Cyrus' island city named Ghulaman is protected by a lone hilltop Spear. (Will sail down a Shock Axe in a couple turns)
Now that Cyrus' army has been annihilated, only the hilltop Tarsus Immortals will pose any kind of threat.
The network of roads mean they can strike virtually anywhere and cause damage if I'm careless.
Will probably whip Swords in captured Cyrus cities to help challenge hilltop Tarsus which is defended by 3 Archers, 1 Axe, and 2 Immortals currently.
Spoiler :

My African scout continues to find western Africa to be unsettled.
Spoiler :

I now have enough gold to tech Literature, so I'll increase the slider to 100% and try to complete Literature in 2 turns so I can hopefully trade for Math and get ready to chop Great Library in Biskek.
Biskek has so much food, I'm going to use it as my main Great Person Farm.
Hopefully the 5 Workers I have chopping 5 forests will be enough to get me the Great Library. (Still need to revolt to Organized Religion + Spread Hindu to Biskek)
If I can't get Math in time for the chops, will use my Great Scientist to bulb it.
Spoiler :

Oh, and Hinduism spread to Pataliputra this turn. :)
Compared to Delhi, Pataliputra just seems like the best possible Heroic Epic military production city.
Pataliputra has tons of food, 6 hills, 2 sources of Iron now, and so many river tiles that the Levee from Engineering will make it a crazy high producer.
In the late game, riverside workshops and watermills will make it even better!
Spoiler :

Now that I have Iron Working, I'll have to take another look at jungle tiles to see what needs chopping.

T285 - Barbarians: 1 Axe, 1 Archer, and 1 Warrior died.

Isabella now has Literature. :mad:
If she builds The Great Library before me, it will not be forgiven.
Spoiler :

Cyrus added another unit to Pasargadae, so it probably isn't a good idea to attack it this turn with only 2 Swords and 3 Axes.
Moved up a bunch more units to take it for sure next turn, and even more Swords are streaming down from the north to help take the Persian capital afterwards.
Every other unit I have is healing up near Ecbatana and preparing to assault the hilltop fortress of Tarsus.
Tarsus is going to be bloody because hilltop cities with promoted archers are always that way before Catapults. :sad:
Note that my City Raider 3 Sword can't get any closer Pasargadae with only 0.5 movement points because an enemy Axe could easily kill him.
I have to take extra care with enemy units being able to use roads to move far and pick off my singular units.
That's why I have 2 Swordsman whose only job is to stand on hilltop jungle roads and keep any Immortals from Tarsus from moving north and killing my Axes.
Those 3 Cyrus Galleys are also concerning if they are carrying any troops, but the AI rarely uses naval warfare for full effect.
Until Persia's main cities are mine, I don't like to turn off the war machine, so most all of my southern cities are still producing Swordsmen.
Spoiler :

Swordsman whipped in Sardis!

Gifted Ivory to France to help improve relations.
Wanted to gift Poland (+8 Pleased) a technology to increase my Fair Trade bonus, but Mieszko is the Worst Enemy of Japan, and I haven't known Japan for many turns, so I decided to do nothing so I don't get a -4 "Traded with my worst enemy" penalty with a militarily powerful neighbor who has tons of troops in Korea.

I now have 21 Cities and 25 Workers. :D

One interesting thing showed up on the Espionage Screen.
Ramesses has a huge amount of money in his treasury! (Wonder fail gold? Great Merchant trade mission?)
Spoiler :

Steal Treasury costs 4252:espionage:, a titanic amount.
Even better, since he only has 1 city, I can steal all of it in a single theft.
Normally you can only steal a fraction of the treasury. (City pop/Empire population)%
So if an AI city has half the population of all the AI cities combined, then you can steal 50% of the treasury in that city with 1 Steal Treasury spy mission.

Time for passive espionage techniques!
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13691442&highlight=seraiel#post13691442
Steal Treasury for Memphis costs 4252 espionage points for me right now.
There is no test game I can use to get an accurate distance penalty, but Memphis is 33 tiles from my capital, so I'll guess a +33% distance penalty.
Espionage Screen on T285 regarding Egypt indicates there is a 102% spending cost modifier for spying missions. (Ramesses has generated slightly more :espionage: over the course of the game than me)
There doesn't seem to be any trade route, culture, or religious modifier bonuses since we share the same religion, but I'm only guessing about trade route bonus being absent.
Egypt only has 1 trade route in Memphis and lots of Open Border treaties, so a large population Deity AI city probably has the trade route instead of me.

We are searching for the base espionage cost (without any modifiers), so we pull out the 2 known modifiers from the end result by performing Ceiling[4252/1.02] = 4169.
Then we perform Ceiling[4169/1.33] = 3135 base espionage cost before penalties are applied.
The amount of gold that can be stolen in a city is espionage base cost/3, so Floor(3135/3) = 1045:gold: is ready to be stolen in Memphis.
My spy waiting 5 turns can get a -50% waiting bonus, but that only means I need Floor(4252/2) = 2126:espionage: to steal 1045:gold: :sad:
The only way to make stealing gold profitable is generate way more espionage than your victim, or try to get a religion bonus.
Maybe I can level up a Spy since this is Giant Earth mod and get cheaper missions? :hmm:
I'll keep it in mind for later.

Silly silly AI, sending its units to death like that...

The empire is becoming quite massive, congratulations!

And I've never seen (in my games, I mean) so many Pleased and Friendly faces on the scoreboard... I guess I really need to pay more attention to diplomacy and checking foreign relations before trading with everybody and then getting diplo penalties for refusing wars or embargos.

I guess I really need to pay more attention to diplomacy and checking foreign relations before trading with everybody and then getting diplo penalties for refusing wars or embargos.

That's a rather lot like my diplomatic style in Civ - refuse every deal except the ones I initiate. I almost always act isolationist because there are so few diplomatic options and unless you have an army knocking on the AI's door they won't give you anything even resembling a fair deal.

But kudos to you Kaitzilla for getting everyone so pleased with you. That's a major accomplishment on any level, let alone deity.

Silly silly AI, sending its units to death like that...

The empire is becoming quite massive, congratulations!

And I've never seen (in my games, I mean) so many Pleased and Friendly faces on the scoreboard... I guess I really need to pay more attention to diplomacy and checking foreign relations before trading with everybody and then getting diplo penalties for refusing wars or embargos.

Diplomacy can be a pain to manage, but it really does help keep neighbors from attacking. :)

I'd say the #1 reason people give up their games is an unexpected DOW they didn't see coming.
Tops for me has to be Deity Tokugawa landing a massive invasion force next to my main cities in a game years back.
About the only time I've seen the AI land a killing blow with their navy.
(I didn't scout much in my early days)

That's a rather lot like my diplomatic style in Civ - refuse every deal except the ones I initiate. I almost always act isolationist because there are so few diplomatic options and unless you have an army knocking on the AI's door they won't give you anything even resembling a fair deal.

But kudos to you Kaitzilla for getting everyone so pleased with you. That's a major accomplishment on any level, let alone deity.

Thanks Niccolo :)

Turnset 64 (T286 to T287)

T286 - Barbarians: No deaths.

Literature discovered! :dance:
Spoiler :

Ragnar converted to Judaism.
Saladin DOW'd Ragnar of the Scandinavian Empire. (Aww, the tiny civs are fighting ^.^)

Cyrus captured one of my Workers east of Varanasi. :eek:
I totally forgot that a Guerrilla II Archers get double movement points through hills.
And I hate how the AI deletes captured Workers too.
Revenge!
Swordsman won against Archer 2E of Varanasi at 73.6% odds. (Yay!)
Spoiler :

Israel asked me to declare war on Germany.
Normally I'd say no to a 3rd war opponent, but Germany is only 1 city barely surviving David's onslaught, so I looked into the offer.
Hah!
Only 3 civs are Pleased with Germany.
Cyrus (don't care), Elizabeth (still don't care), and Hammurabi.

Should I refuse the war and get -1 with Friendly Israel, or join the war and get -1 with Pleased Hammurabi?
I can afford to hurt relations with Hammurabi since I'm +7 (Pleased) with him.
Shared war with Israel will push my deeply into Friendly status if it goes longer than 8 turns, so I think it's time to ruin relations with Germany. :)
Since Frederick is still alive a few turns after Israel attacked, I can assume the initial Stack of Doom died trying to take Germany's capital.
Military adviser indicates no German troops near my cities.
I DOW'd Frederick of the German Empire.
Spoiler :

Pasargadae is lightly defended by 2 Axes, 2 Archers, and 1 Immortal.
The city is on flat land and has 20% defenses, so it shouldn't be too difficult to overwhelm.
Will attack with Axes first to wound the Persian Axes and then follow up with Swords.
Axe lost against Axe in Pasargadae at 12% odds.
Axe lost against Axe in Pasargadae at 12% odds.
Both enemy Axes were wounded to 3.4/5 hp, so things should go better now.
Sword lost against Archer in Pasargadae at 63% odds.
Axe lost against Archer in Pasargadae at 61% odds.
Axe lost against Axe in Pasargadae at 66% odds.
Axe lost against Axe in Pasargadae at 60.8% odds. (OH COME ON! x.x)
Sword won against Axe in Pasargadae at 88.2% odds
Axe won against Immortal in Pasargadae at 65.9% odds
Great General born in Lahore (again heh)
Axe won against Archer in Pasargadae at 91.3% odds
Chariot won against Archer in Pasargadae at 99% odds
Chariot won against Axe in Pasargadae at 97.9% odds

Pasargadae captured!
2 Galleys destroyed, 1 Worker captured.
The city yielded 131:gold:, 6 population, and a Granary + Lighthouse.
Moved all my troops into the city to hold it against a counter attack from the Persian capital Persepolis.
Spoiler :

Time for cleanup and reinforcements.
Sword won against Archer 2N of Susa at 98.8% odds. (Should get enough xp for a 4th promo)
More swordsmen are being produced in captured Cyrus cities.
They will make great cannon fodder even with 0xp.
Spoiler :

My Asian scout is starting to explore north of Korea in eastern Siberia.
I wonder how many barb cities are up there?
Also, 11 Axes and 1 Spear are now sitting in Nagara Jayasri near my Khotan Border.
Hopefully Surya gets them all killed once they march north and attack Yue's hilltop cities.
Spoiler :

Sword whipped in Dariush Kabir.
Switched to 0% research on Currency.
No trades for Math or Monarchy are possible with my Literature.

T287 - Barbarians: No deaths.

Axe lost defending against Immortal 1E of Pasargadae at 0% odds.
Sword lost defending against Archer 2E of Varanasi at 0.1% odds.
I succeeded in baiting out some units from hilltop cities, but the Varanasi Archer wasn't injured at all against my injured Sword.
I'm will to trade Cyrus units 1-to-1 now, but I probably should have protected my Sword with the Varanasi Axe and let it heal.

My empire now has 5 million souls!
Spoiler :

Various Persian units came out to play, so I indulged them.
Sword lost against Archer 2E of Varanasi at 75.1% odds. (doh!)
Axe won against Archer 2E of Varanasi at 100% odds.
Sword won against Immortal 1N of Pasargadae at 90.8% odds.
Sword won against Immortal 2W1S of Sardis at 73.8% odds.
Spoiler :

My main army is now healed up and marching on Tarsus.
So far highly promoted units consisting of 1 Woodsman II Axe, 13 Swords, 9 Axes, and 1 Chariot are marching on Tarsus and will attack on T289.
I'm almost 100% sure that the river separating Tarsus and the rice 1N of Tarsus costs Cyrus 2 movement points even with the road, so Ecbatana should be safe from Immortals.
Spoiler :

2 Movement Points to cross river onto hill without a bridge. (Bridges unlocked once Construction is teched)

Turnset 65 (T287 to T289)

T287 Continued - Netherlands has Code of Laws for trade!

My Aesthetics isn't enough to make a deal, but I do still have that Great Scientist. :D
Bulbed Mathematics.
Mathematics discovered! :dance:
Gah, I have to wait until next turn before I can trade Math.
Forgot that happens when bulbing.
Crossing my fingers that nobody trades the Netherlands Math before I can. :please:
Spoiler :

It was just about time to bulb Math anyway.
A lot of my chops are almost done and the Aesthetics->Math trade that I've been hoping for since T280 just never materialized.

Finally, in an amusing little procession, Khmer is marching an army of Workers into my territory near Khotan.
WTF is Suryavarman II doing?
If he wasn't the most powerful civ on earth my jaws would snap shut on such a juicy treat!
Spoiler :

T288 - Barbarians: 1 Archer died.

Yes!
Willem of the Netherlands Empire is willing to trade Code of Laws for Mathematics + Aesthetics.
Done!
Code of Laws discovered! [party]
Now I just need to wait 1 more turn and try to trade COL with others for Monarchy.
Looks like Hannibal is a possibility.
Spoiler :

I can now also construct half price Courthouses! :D
Between Hammams (Aqueducts with +2 happiness) and Courthouses, I need to switch to Monotheism soon since I finally have buildings to construct again.
Monotheism is currently 3 turns of Anarchy since I have so many cities, but Monotheism+Monarchy would only be 4 turns of Anarchy. (Saves 2 turns of Anarchy!)
If I can trade for Monarchy next turn, I'll probably do the civics switch.
Also, if you are wondering how to calculate Anarchy turns ahead of time, the formula is here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=342624
(1 + Civics + [Cities × MapFactor / 100]) × SpeedFactor × 0.5
Assuming my mapfactor is 5 for GEM and not 6 like on huge map size, then I will gain an extra turn of Anarchy every 20 cities.
I wasn't paying attention when the Anarchy length to switch to Monotheism increased from 2 turns to 3 turns in my game, so my mapfactor is a guess right now. :o

Hammam whipped (4 pop) in Khotan and Estruscans.
Swordsman whipped in Ecbatana and Sardis.
Walls chopped in hilltop Gems City. (Good luck barbs!)

Power Rating with Yue Empire revealed to be 1.143.
Switching :espionage: to Tokugawa.

On the military front, my army is almost ready to attack Tarsus.
Ergili continues to cause my indigestion.
An Archer up there is once again threatening to pillage some nice tiles north of Pataliputra and this time I can't stop it.
Spoiler :

My 2nd Great General is now 1 tile away from Pataliputra.
Can't decide if I want to settle him in the city or use him to make an absurdly promoted unit. :hmm:
Almost 90% sure I will settle him and make 5xp units with my Heroic Epic city.

T289 - Barbarians: 2 Archers died.

Great Scientist born in Poland.
Chariot won defending against Immortal in Pasargadae at 65.7% odds.

Khmer has declared peace with the Yue Empire.
Khmer is plotting war again!

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG really!? :aargh:
Spoiler :

First I panicked and then Khmer attacked and wiped out Korea.
Next I panicked and..heh, Khmer didn't capture any Yue cities based off the city names in the trade menu.
Time to panic again! :run:
What happened to those 10 Axes from T286?
Spoiler :

T286

I doubt they had time to perish in war.
Are they marching for my undefended Khotan and Biskek even now?
My Great Library (Biskek), my 4 turn civic change where I can't whip, and my Great Person city project (Biskek again) are now all filled with uncertainty! :cry:

Arggg, my eastern front was stripped to fight Cyrus, so I'm out of position to fight off a sudden major attack.
Got a 0.878 Power Rating with Khmer after losing units in my war with Persia, so Khmer is stronger than me too.
I arrogantly left no units scouting Khmer either to see if something is coming.
*Stomps off in anger*
**Back with angry drink**

Khmer is Cautious with Yue and Annoyed with me.
Khmer is Pleased with China and Friendly with Japan.
Yue is still a land target, and a Cease Fire means Yue could still be Khmer's war target.
I'll start marching units and explorers east again and hope it takes some turns for Khmer to get organized for war again. (Hate relying on hope)

So!
The question is now whether to finish Cyrus off first or start marching towards Khmer to reinforce my border.
Also, change civics and get Anarchy for the next 4 turns, or wait until later?
I think I don't have any choice but to continue the Persian war.
I'm close to capturing the last 2 major Persian cities and I can't afford a 2nd war against Persia later with more -1 diplo hits.
Too many civs like Persia! (7 civs)
Also, even if I whipped Axes/Swords in Khotan + Biskek for another turn or two, it wouldn't slow down Khmer if they attacked in force.

Will continue attacking Persia and switch civics if the attack goes well.
Hopefully I can get out of Anarchy before a Khmer army appears on my border.

Dun dun dunnnnn!!!
I thought the Khmers would not stop until they'd annihilated the Yue.

And you're still at -50:gold:/turn at 0%:science:, what is the plan for when there won't be more Persian cities to plunder?

Dun dun dunnnnn!!!
I thought the Khmers would not stop until they'd annihilated the Yue.

And you're still at -50:gold:/turn at 0%:science:, what is the plan for when there won't be more Persian cities to plunder?

I thought they'd war against Yue forever too!
Now that I look, both Khmer and Yue have Alphabet now, so peace was possible.

Hopefully it was a Cease Fire and not a 10 turn Peace Treaty considering Khmer is plotting war again right away.
That way Yue is still a war target possibility for Khmer.

Every time I lose a unit I gain 2.6:gold: per turn, so losses from finishing Persia should get me close to -20:gold: or -10:gold: per turn.
Cheap Courthouses should get me back in positive cashflow once I start whipping them everywhere. :whipped:

Also, I'd like to thank the readers for getting my thread to 10,000 views. :love:
If editing a post counts as a view, then I've done 70 posts * around 30 edits each = 2,100 views myself :blush:
Still, that means all the rest of the views must be bots, lurkers, and other posters all taking a read. ^_^

Turnset 66 (T289 to T290)

Turn 289 Continued - This game has no mercy!

Hilltop Tarsus just popped borders and has 40% cultural defenses now instead of 20%.
Attacking hilltop walled cities (+50%) that have promoted units before Catapults is usually foolish and suicidal, but now that's almost what I'm facing.
Looks like Tarsus is defended by 1Axe, 3 Archers, and 4 Immortals (they get defensive bonuses too; +40% culture, +25% hill, +25% fortify)
Spoiler :

Thankfully my units have lots of City Raider Promotions.
Let's rock.

Sword (Combat 1 + City Raider III) lost against Axe in Tarsus at 25.1% odds. (17 xp units go poof just like the rest ahaha)
Sword lost against Archer in Tarsus at 24% odds.
Sword lost against Archer in Tarsus at 24.2% odds.
Sword lost against Archer in Tarsus at 24.2% odds.
Sword won against Axe in Tarsus at 59.9% odds.
Sword won against Immortal in Tarsus at 50% odds.
Sword won against Immortal in Tarsus at 70.8% odds.
Sword won against Archer in Tarsus at 83.7% odds.
Axe won against Immortal in Tarsus at 75.1% odds.
Sword lost against Immortal in Tarsus at 66.1% odds.
Sword won against Immortal in Tarsus at 83.1% odds.
Sword won against Archer in Tarsus at 99.6% odds.
Spoiler :

(Delaying the final attack one moment to switch civics. I doubt 1 more city would add to Anarchy length but I haven't been keeping track)
Courthouse whipped (2 pop) in Dhaka and Chinook.
Hammam whipped (4 pop) in Varanasi, Pataliputra, Biskek.
Why not wait for Monotheism to whip Hammams?
I got massive overflows 4-pop whipping a 300 hammer building in cities with tons of food.
Revolted to Monarchy + Monotheism since Tarsus attack is going well.
Should be enough survivors to reinforce the east that I won't need to emergency whip right now.
Cities with Hinduism will get +25%:hammers: for buildings, and each city military garrison will provide +1:) in the city.
Spoiler :

Sword won against Archer in Tarsus at 100% odds.
Tarsus captured!
The city yielded 187:gold:, 8 population, and a Granary + Lighthouse.
Spoiler :

Traded Code of Laws + Math to Carthage for Monarchy.
Monarchy discovered! :dance:
Spoiler :

Ragnar of the Scandinavian Empire is down to 1 city. (me, Arabia, Babylon, China, France, Netherlands, and Rome are all at war with Ragnar currently)
Spoiler :

Traded Math to Hungary for a DOW against Cyrus. :devil:
Got an additional +2 "Fair Trade" bonus and am now maxed at +4 Fair Trade with Friendly Hungary.
Hungary DOW'd Cyrus.
The war against Persia currently includes me, Poland, Egypt, Hungary, Zulu, Carthage, and Mongolia.
Hopefully Poland at least is attacking the capital Persepolis.
The rest were bribed so I could build relations with them and cause them to get -1 with a bunch of other civs.
No Khmer units on my eastern border indicating an imminent invasion.
Spoiler :

Am sending 5 Axes, 1 Spy + 1 Shock Axe in the Galley, recently whipped Swords, and any other available units east to the Khmer border.
Will send 3 City Raider Axes, a Chariot, and a few Swords once they heal west to help take the Persian capital Persepolis.
I currently have no idea what is defending Persepolis, but as a hilltop Deity capital it will be formidable.
Spoiler :

T290 - Barbarians: No deaths.

The Yue Empire made peace with Japan due to random event.
Yue DOW'd Ragnar. (Excellent)

Judaism spread to Bactra.

Oh crap!
An Immortal is now threatening Tashkent which has no defender. :cry:
I'm in Anarchy, so there is no way to whip a defender either.
I can either lose a 7 pop city with low food and lots of buildings, or I can sign a Cease Fire with Cyrus and DOW him later for a whole bunch more diplo penalties.
Spoiler :

Freaking 3-movement units go right through hills.
Immortals crush Axes too.
WAIT
AHAHAHAHAH
My capital has a Spear!
I left it behind to garrison because I needed every Axe down south for the war.
Talk about luck.
Spoiler :

Will move up an Archer, Spear, and Chariot to trap and eliminate the rogue Immortal if it doesn't suicide against the Tashkent hilltop Spear.
Spoiler :

The Persian War continues...

Cyrus founded a 2nd island city on the island of Maldives.
The Galley down there is a threat to capture Chinook with an Amphibious attack, so I'll send a Sword down to help.
Hopefully the AI isn't smart enough to take my undefended city since the Sword will be 1 turn late.
Spoiler :

I'm now torn whether to settle my Great General in Pataliputra or send it east in case I need to promote a bunch of units for Khmer defense.
Will send it a bit east for now until I'm sure settling it will be best.
Spoiler :

The Archer north of Pataliputra stayed in the jungle and didn't pillage my Rice or Iron.
Will remove the pest soon!

Turnset 67 (T291 to T292)

T291 - Barbarians: No deaths.

Islam spread to Bakhara. (Cottage city NW of capital)

Spear won defending against Immortal in Tashkent at 99% odds. (Sweet)
Spoiler :

Still no Khmer invasion forces spotted. :whew:
Reinforcements are rapidly approaching my eastern borders and my Anarchy is down to 2 turns, so I should be ok now.
Spoiler :

Cyrus keeps sending out Immortals from Persepolis and Archers from Ergili, and I keep killing them. :)
Spear won against Immortal 2E1N of Pasargadae at 98.7% odds.
Sword won against Archer 2N1E of Pataliputra at 66.4% odds.
Sword lost against Archer 2N1E of Pataliputra at 67.1% odds.
Sword won against Archer 2N1E of Pataliputra at 100% odds.
Spoiler :

The 3 Tarsus Axes have arrived in Pasargadae and combined with units healed up over 5 turns.
They should be able to advance to 1E of the Persian capital Persepolis next turn.
Additional Swords will follow as reinforcements.
Spoiler :

My Siberian scout has discovered a barb city.
My African scout has discovered Hannibal's capital Carthage.
It is a non-impressive 6 pop city.
Spoiler :

I am now Friendly with France. (7th Friendly civ)

T292 - Barbarians: 1 Archer died.

Chinook Clams pillaged by Persian Galley!
Spoiler :

Tried to moved 1 Sword to 1E of Persepolis, but it was blocked by an Immortal, so I attacked.
Sword won against Immortal 1E of Persepolis at 73.4% odds.

Excellent, Persepolis is defended by only 4 units. (2 Archers, 1 Immortal, 1 Spear) :)
However, the two Archers are a City Garrison III Archer and a Guerrilla II Archer.
The bonuses are +40% culture, +50% city, +50% hill, +25% fortify, and then City Garrison/Geurilla bonuses.
So I'll face a 10.2:strength: and 9.45:strength: Archer with my units that don't have many promotions.
Hopefully the Hungary Axe and Spear will attack next turn and I can face damaged Persian Archers!
Spoiler :

After moving up my western army to 1E of Persepolis, I sent the trailing Swords back east.
I should be able to capture Persepolis with what I've got.
Spoiler :

My eastern border with Khmer is now looking much, much better than it was 3 turns ago.
Spoiler :

Traded Rice to Rome for Clams and to build relations.

Turnset 68 (T293 to T294)

T293 - Barbarians: 2 Warriors died.

Fish pillaged near Estruscans by Persian Galley.
It automatically canceled my Fish to Zulu for Deer deal.
I don't have anything else to trade with the few civs who do have Deer, but I don't really need another health resource at the moment.

The Anarchy is over!
Still no Khmer Stack of Doom spotted. :D

Hungary's 2 units didn't even scratch the paint on Persepolis' Archers, but I'm attacking anyway.
Time for the main event, Persia's capital city!
Sword lost against Archer in Persepolis at 8.5% odds. (no damage ugh)
Sword lost against Archer in Persepolis at 3.1% odds.
Sword lost against Archer in Persepolis at 8.6% odds. (no damage again!!!!)
Sword lost against Archer in Persepolis at 3.1% odds.
Axe won against Archer in Persepolis at 57.5% odds.
Axe lost against Archer in Persepolis at 31% odds.
Axe lost against Spear in Persepolis at 61.5% odds. (grr)
Axe lost against Archer in Persepolis at 61.6% odds. (urk)
Axe won against Immortal in Persepolis at 96% odds.
Axe won against Spear in Persepolis at 99% odds.
Chariot won against Archer in Persepolis at 100% odds.
Persepolis captured!
The city yielded 130:gold:, 8 population, no buildings, and 1 settled Great General. :woohoo:
Spoiler :

Jeez, lost 7 units to kill 4.
The last major city of Persia has fallen.
Not quite Alexander vs. Darius, but the Persian Empire is broken. :D

History lesson
Spoiler :
I had no idea Greek (Macedonian) Phalanxes used a 2-handed Spear and a shield at the same time. (No, you don't need 3 hands, 20:15 in video)
Also, the mousetrap spear formation was a genius way to kill war chariots. :eek: (36:05)
War Chariots were never used again after this in battle.

Link to video.

The Battle of Gaugamela (decided the Persian Empire historically)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gaugamela

Sucks what happened to General Parmenion.
He was responsible for half the win and got a raw deal later.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmenion

Ethiopia is no longer plotting war.
After checking the trade screen, Zara doesn't have anything to gain by DOW'ing Khmer, but he will DOW Persia.
Traded Priesthood to Zara for DOW with Persia.
Ethiopia DOW'd Persia. :devil:
Spoiler :

Courthouses were whipped in Pasargadae and Susa.
Once I have Courthouses in all my India and Persia cities, I should stop losing gold every turn.
5 chops landed in Biskek and nearly completed The Great Library.
It would have completed TGL if Biskek had Hinduism, but it will take too long for a Hindu Missionary to get there from Pataliputra because I plan on whipping The Great Library complete next turn.
Whipping Wonders is not something I normally do, but Biskek has more than enough food for such a great wonder.
Settled my 2nd Great General in Pataliputra since I now feel confident I can handle Khmer.
Spoiler :

African scout shows Zulu building a road across the Sahara Desert north to North Africa (Carthage).
Asian scout shows a 1 population barb city in Siberia named Hurrian defended by 2 Archers.
Spoiler :

T294 - Barbarians: No deaths.

Cyrus converted to Hindusim. (Too late!)

The Great Library was 2-pop whipped in Biskek! :D
My 1st World Wonder!
Spoiler :

Hammam whipped in Lahore.
Courthouse whipped in Delhi.

:espionage: switched to Khmer.
Surya spent some EP's on me, so I lost demographic info and I want my Power Rating back.

My Super Medic and City Raider Swordsmen have arrived in Pataliputra and will be continuing north to engage Erbili.
It has been whipped down to 1 pop and is defended by only 3 Archers since so many died harassing me.
Spoiler :

Sending my Galley west to fight the Persian Galley that pillaged my Fish and Clams. (After dropping an Archer in Khotan and Sword 1S of Khotan)
It should get a +10% bonus for defending in coastal waters if Cyrus attacks me.
Spoiler :

My Spy has penetrated into Khmer territory, but still no Stack of Doom spotted.
Axes will be used to scout northern Khmer.
Spoiler :

Sending my City Garrison III Archer (10xp) south from Gems City to help protect Khotan against Khmer or Bactra against the Chinese/barbarians.
Gems City and Bronze City both have Walls now, so I shouldn't need highly promoted units to win, and my new Archer can start earning xp.
Spoiler :

Asian Scout shows 3 highly promoted Japanese Axes heading to conquer Hurrian.
I'll join them and try to steal a barb city by killing a 0.1hp Archer.
Spoiler :

Construction is starting to spread among the AI.
If I can trade one of them for it, I'll be able to cross roaded rivers with ease and my army mobility will explode.
Not to mention Catapults and War Elephants if I can get Horseback Riding too.
The Yue have HBR, but there's no way to get them Friendly unless they switch to Hinduism.
Spoiler :

Turnset 69 (T295)

T295 - Barbarians: 1 Archer died.

Great Artist born in Rome. (No, he didn't tech Music)

Galley won defending against Galley 2S of Dhaka at 67.8% odds.
This victory accelerates the final conquest of Persia since I don't need to whip more Galleys down south to finish off the 2 island cities.
Spoiler :

Khmer demanded I cancel all deals with their Worst Enemy Egypt.
Mmm, does that give a 10 turn Peace Treaty if I accept? (I can't remember)
The worst thing that happens is I can't trade with Egypt and I lose open borders, but it is a 1 city civ on the way out.
Checked my options and I think granting this request would best.
I don't want any more -1 diplo hits with Khmer if I can help it since we are not yet at war and I'm barely in Annoyed territory.
Plus I might get a 10 turn peace treaty that would be really nice right now.
Sorry Egypt!
Spoiler :

Boo, no Peace Treaty.
I lost my +2 Open Borders bonus, lost my Open Borders, and canceled my Horse gift.
Egypt will no longer talk to me. (This lasts a crazy 20 or 30 turns in my experience)
May crocodiles eat my tongue! :lol:
Spoiler :

My Spy has scouted the Khmer capital and found a stack of 6 Axes 3E1S of Nagara Jayasri.
Another scout Axe to the north has also found the main Khmer army. (that better be the main army! :please:)
Isvarapura has 4 Spears, 3 Axes, 2 Swords, and 2 Archers.
1S of Isvarapura has 3 Axes, 2 Swords, and 1 Spear.
Spoiler :

Ergili is going to get squashed next turn.
What is more interesting is the future of the Persian capital Persepolis.
Thanks to border pressure from Babylon, my newest city has 0 :food: until it can steal the Wheat+Fish back from Akkad.
I'm sending a Hindu Missionary down before the city comes out of revolt and starts starving down to 1 pop.
My best strategy I think is to cold whip (3 pop) a Hindu Monastery, switch to an Islamic Monastery, starve to size 4, 2-pop whip the Islamic Monastery, starve to size 1, complete both monasteries (5:culture: per turn with religion), and build a Courthouse with the overflow hammers until I can steal the Fish.
Spoiler :

The Great Library completed in Biskek. :D
My 1st World Wonder is gloriously placed in a city with almost limitless food.
Those 8 Scientist Great People Points will be very, very valuable once my National Epic is complete.
Spoiler :

My 2nd wonder the Swhedagon Paya is 1:hammers: short of completing, so I'll have to wait until next turn to see if I'll get it. (fail gold is good too for this wonder)
Passive Espionage indicates that Spain (Barcelona), Rome (Antium), and Hungary (Szeged) are building it.
All 3 require 5000 espionage points or more to sabotage production, and there is only 1 Wonder left to build based off current techs.
Spoiler :

Japan destroyed the Siberian barb city Hurrian without any losses.
No Khmer stacks were spotted in the former Korean city of Tonggou.
Hungary has a 12 units Stack of Doom marching through Babylon to help kill Persia, but he is too late.
Spoiler :

Relations with the Roman Empire remain stuck at +10 (Pleased).
I don't have any resources to trade with Julius because he already has everything.
I also don't have any techs to give him for +4 Fair Trade bonus, nor a place to place a city and gift it to him.
I am now Friendly with Poland thanks to shared war against Persia building.
Gifted Code of Laws to Spain for +4 Fair Trade Relations to reach Friendly status.
I'm now Friendly with Spain too! (9 civs now) ^_^
This is big because I've reached "We Fear You Have Become Too Advanced" with Rome and Spain, and now I can trade techs with Spain again.
Spoiler :

Traded Iron to Carthage for Deer.
Hopefully he will conquer Shaka someday with Ethiopia's help if an African war ever starts.

Jewish Missionary whipped in Susa.
Courthouse whipped in Khotan and Estruscan.
Borders popped in Bukhara.

Finally, I razed Persian city Gordium at the start of the war on T280 and forgot that barbs can spawn in the fog.
The only reason I noticed the barb Warrior in the heart of my empire was because I had "Show Enemy Movements" turned on in the options.
Really need to send a Settler to 1W of those ruins, make a new city, and put that Wheat farm to good use now that the Persian threat is over.
Got too caught up in the war and wonders and left an amazing city site unclaimed.
Spoiler :

Here's a zoomed out view of Eastern Europe that shows the current borders situation.
Spoiler :

Turnset 70 (T296 to T297)

T296 - Barbarians: 1 Axe, 1Spear, and 1 Warrior died.

Cottage pillaged by barb Warrior south of Varanasi. :mad:
I hate seeing 12 Worker-turns go poof in an orgy of destruction.
Workers cost a lot of gold to maintain!
Spoiler :

As near as I can tell, Khmer is once again collecting his forces to assault either me or the Yue.
2 Axes are being sent to attack Persia's 2 island cities (token force), most of my Swords are attacking Ergili before heading east to my border, and everything else is heading directly for Khotan + Biskek.
Persia would already be dead if not for Khmer's renewed threat. :shake:
Spoiler :

Time for the assault on Ergili!
I brought a City Raider III Sword to start things off. :mwaha:

Sword lost against Archer in Ergili at 63% odds. (balls!)
Sword lost against Archer in Ergili at 28.7% odds.
Sword won against Archer in Ergili at 43.1% odds.
Sword lost against Archer in Ergili at 66.4% odds.
Sword won against Archer in Ergili at 93% odds.
Sword won against Archer in Ergili at 100% odds.
Ergili captured!
The city yielded 81:gold:, 1 population, and a Granary.
Only the 2 island cities south of Chinook remain of the Persian Empire.
Spoiler :

Hindiusm spread to Biskek with my Hindu Missionary.
The Hammam I whipped on T289 finally completed in Biskek.
Courthouse whipped in Tarsus and Lahore.
Library whipped in Ecbatana. (Lots of Libraries, Monasteries, and Courthouses are being whipped/chopped in Persian cities lately to pop borders + reduce costs)

Switched Espionage back to Tokugawa now that I have demographics on Khmer again.
The Courthouses are starting to greatly accelerate how many Espionage Points I'm producing.
Soon I will switch :espionage: to Khmer and start a buildup.
I grow tired of Suryavarmen's constant, frequent, and panic-creating plotting.
The Khmer War will become 100% inevitable once I fix my economy (Currency) and trade for Construction.
Surya is a thorn in any game I play, and it is unfortunate that he is the most powerful civ right now.
Spoiler :
T37 - Jesus the Warrior met Suryavarmen of the Khmer Empire.
Surya is one of least my least favorite AI because his empire always gets so big.
He also always stabs me in the back too, so I've learned to keep both eyes on that reptilian visage...
Tokugawa has a stack of 5 highly promoted Axes and 1 Sword rampaging in Siberia now.
My Asian scout will shadow them.
It won't be long before Japan is plotting war again, and such a stack is a prime candidate to perform the DOW.
Spoiler :

My northern empire is mostly building Courthouses and defending against barbs.
Increasingly my strength is concentrated in India.
Spoiler :

T297 - Barbarians: 1 Archer died.

Great Prophet born in Hungary.

Wow, the Roman Empire is Friendly with me now. :eek:
His -1 "Refused to help during war" vanished for some reason.
I thought that diplo penalty was permanent? :confused:
Anyway, now 10 civs are Friendly with me!
Spoiler :

Compared to T295

The military campaign against Khmer->Japan->Yue is starting to write itself.
Hard to imagine more brutal opponents, but they have such good land. (Toku has The Great Lighthouse)
None are Hindu either.
:ninja:
Need to concentrate Workers around Pataliputra and Biskek to get my military and Great Scientist production going.
There's a lot of whip anger building up from all the building whips and the empire-wide Sword whips on T278.
Would rather avoid whipping a new army while I'm still trying to tech Currency.
I'll try to put some hammer overflows into Heroic Epic and National Epic in other cities for fail gold before completing them in Pataliputra and Biskek.
Spoiler :

The Shwedagon Paya completed in Varanasi. :sheep:
Now I can switch to Caste + Pacifism once Biskek maxes out in size and get a big tech lead, but that will be later.
Spoiler :

Walls completed in Khotan on the Khmer border.
Hinduism spread to Dhaka using Hindu Missionary.
Judaism spread to Ergili.

Khmer is moving 6 Axes in the direction of Isvarapura.
Once they join up, there will be 21 units in that city.
Just who is his target this time?
Spoiler :

African scout confirms that Carthage and Zulu are Land Targets for each other. (8 land tiles touching on the border)
That will cause a war some day in Africa once the Persian and Scandinavian wars end.
Spoiler :

A few City Raider units are starting to move down to Chinook to begin the final operations against Persia.
My eastern border continues to build its strength slowly.
Spoiler :

Carthage, Rome, and Israel all have Construction to trade since I am Friendly with them, but I'll need Currency to make the trade.
Spoiler :

Capturing Ergili increased my empire to 25 cities to go along with my 25 Workers.
Gifted Ivory to Yue to help build my relations with them.

I am on the edge of my seat! I am new to this sub-forum, but I can imagine that this legendary tale is unparalleled!

Go Kaitzilla!.

Thanks Shulec! :D

I'm leaning forward on my seat too. ^_^
The land war in Asia stuff is very stressful to keep track of.

I'm ruthlessly cutting out as much uninteresting stuff as I can to keep the story from becoming too bloated.

Top Bottom