To The Great Beyond - Space Empires!

Hmm, something got lost in translation there, my apologies. I think I will have to re-draw them :D EDIT EDIT: no I'm right, hexaped would mean 6 legs - is that how you imagined the Kowlint?

Not quite, ten limbs total, six legs (much the same as the way you drew the rear two) plus the arms already pictured - I had pictured the arms the other way round but I think the way you drew them makes more sense.

The Psilocybe Council

Imagine for a moment a complex brain, a network of neurons signaling and processing at the speed of electrochemical conduction. Signals stream down dentrites from multiple loci, converge on a neuronal cluster, are processed, and egress along multiple axons to further clusters to be processed again and again. The net product is thought or consciousness.

Now, peer again at your imagined network of neurons, at your complex neuronal matrix and imagine that instead of neuronal bodies, you are seeing Psilocybe ‘caps’ and instead of axons and dendrites you are seeing Psilocybe tendrils and that instead of electrochemical conduction your are seeing photonic luminescence and fluorescence. Such a convergence is not a brain, for each Psilocybe possesses a complex brain in of itself, but a super-organism, a logarithmic increase in processing. Not thought but supra-thought, not consciousness but supra-consciousness. Perhaps here your imagination cannot quite reach.

None-the-less, such an occurrence is community for the Psilocybe, and though relatively rare occurs in moments of decision, when the species as a whole must come together to choose a path that will affect them all. Today they are ‘discussing’, though perhaps the proper term might be closer to ‘processing’, the Rurrican.

http://ak.picdn.net/shutterstock/vi...oom-real-animation-inside-the-human-brain.mp4

The event takes place slowly at first but accelerates rapidly. An observer would see multiple nodes of fluorescence and luminescence arise in chaotic splendor, thought, discussion, point and counterpoint, convergence of ideas, mathematical, social, and scientific models pulsing violently in vivid colors who’s spectrum ranges across the visual from the electric energy of ultra-violet to the almost heat-like intensity of far red. The colors accelerate, nodes aggregating, greens, blues, oranges, yellows all pulse across the web of Psilocybe.

With time most of the network’s pulsing lightshow converges, its colors lose their riotous chaos and form almost hypnotic rhythmic patterns of coordinated color. The decision has been made.

A couple of things to mention:

The special traits have been tweaked, and the Economist trait is totally removed now. If you're not happy with your faction traits for any reason, I'm open to you changing them, or at least one of them (nothing too drastic). You can see the new trait descriptions here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13980624&postcount=3

I'm open to any criticism of the new rules, let me know if anything doesn't make sense, or if you see any glaring holes!

Finally, I'd also love to have some custom names for planets, star systems, ships, or anything else you fancy. I've only given random, boring codenames to each star system by default.

------------

Those are some great looking maps and species portraits and just a beautiful update in general!

@Robert thank you very much :) I fear it's likely there will be some factions missing players, so let me know if you'd be interested in playing.

Not quite, ten limbs total, six legs (much the same as the way you drew the rear two) plus the arms already pictured - I had pictured the arms the other way round but I think the way you drew them makes more sense.

@filli_noctus I see, thank you - I will definitely have a go at re-drawing them!

The Psilocybe Council

The decision has been made.

Cliffhanger!! Awesome, I have also been meaning to compile links to all the stories and signups posted so far. I will add such to the front page at some point.

Mu-1B shall be renamed "Alucinari"

Report: Stabilizing Directorate Expedition to Goaeem [Dolak, as it is known to the Flallore]

Compiled by Expedition Director Mon Varheem

In short: Dangerous anomaly discovered in Goaeem system. Hmeeur damaged. Recommend extreme caution.

In long: Hmeeur [Appraiser]-class vessel arrived at Goaeem trinary star system, confirmed previous observations suggesting presence of rocky planetary bodies. Mission proceeded according to plan, dispatching probes to potentially habitable worlds. Probes on Goaeem I encountered anomalous, regular wave-shaped surface formations unlike those found on the rest of the planet. These formations of unclear origin are henceforth referred to as Anomaly 1. While sampling, Hmeeur sensors detect electromagnetic interference, originating from previously-undetected orbiting object, henceforth referred to as Anomaly 2. Anomaly 2 proceeded to emit a unified-wavelength photon beam, rapidly overwhelming Hmeeur's radiators and dealing structural damage to dorsal sampling arrays and hull. Emergency doctrine is initiated. Damaged compartments are sealed to prevent depressurization, and Hmeeur initiates rapid relocation maneuver to evade beam. Anomaly 2 redirects beam to track Hmeeur. Hmeeur directs external cutting lasers against Anomaly 2, though this is ineffective as Anomaly 2 is outside of their focal range. Probe dispatched to investigate Anomaly 2 are destroyed by unknown means. Expedition Director orders evacuation, emergency superlight slip is successful, though damaging components due to radiator damage. Anomalous encounter ends.

Expedition aborted. Hmeeur undergoes partial repairs. Will return to Seeoo upon completion.

Personal Note: I regretfully announce the deaths of the following:

Mon Wayeu (Expedition Geologist) : Ejected through hull breach in damaged compartment, fatally decompressed.

Goama Sayeem (Expedition Sensor and Data Management) : Fatal decompression in sealed, damaged compartment.

Oueem Heeoo (Engineering) : Severe burns, crushed by debris.

Oem Seeooeem (Engineering): Fatal burns, tissue damage from radiator failure.

Those who died were all my friends, and they all played critical roles in the early successes of the mission. I am stricken with grief and regret, and cannot complete the mission without them. Their songs were cut short in agonized cacophony, and now only I can sing for them. I strongly recommend that their families are to be allocated disproportionate life space in exchange for their losses.

"What does it mean?"

"That much isn't clear at all, valued Hlur. It presents a question."

"It presents many! I just asked one."

"What it means is that we have discovered something much more dangerous than we expected to encounter. The key question is what this thing is. I can think of no natural phenomenon that would do what Anomaly 2 was able to do to our expedition to Goaeem. So we are facing either something previously unknown to our knowledge of nature, or we are facing something artificial."

"The latter seems overwhelmingly more likely, and has similarly worrying implications."

"Quite, valued Hlur. Share with me your concerns."

"I fear that something that delays our expansion will obstruct the procession of the Fifth Principle. The Directorate depends on the ability for Hlur to freely depart, threats like this will only delay us and put more pressure on the Endstate Civilization."

"What else, valued Hlur?"

The first singer stroked its shell in contemplation.

"I am concerned about the thing that built the anomalies, whatever it may be. If it is sentient life, like us, why did it not sing to us first? Perhaps they are violent, choosing warfare over diplomacy, or they are so immensely powerful that they did not even notice us, and assaulted us by accident."

"There are more possibilities though. What if they are purely mechanistic? Either machines running programmed algorithms, or life that cannot comprehend song?"

The first singer's fingers twitched back and forth as it whistled in discomfort.

"What an awful, horrid thing! Alive without no soul. I would sooner be dead."

"Well of course, we would. Voice is life... to us. But there are animals who live without it."

"Yes, and song is what separates us from the beasts. We can comprehend narrative, we can craft beauty, we can aspire, we can have meaningful output in our lives! A Baiheen without song might as well be a mindless strainer hanging in the breeze."

"Certainly, but perhaps we are small-minded in this. We hope that, should we encounter life with civilization comparable to our own, they will be recognizable to us, they will follow the same broad mores as us. But what if they are far more alien that we could imagine?"

"Do you suggest that they are animals who have somehow created technology without simultaneously creating culture?"

"It's a possibility. I don't know how such a thing could happen, but what if it has?"

"Well... it would be something with the simple desires and ways of a beast, but the material capabilities of a Hlur. It would seek to do nothing but feed and grow. What brutal cacophony!"

"An alarming thought indeed, valued Hlur. But still just one possibility of many. There is a possibility that their song is in some subtle form that we cannot yet detect. Maybe we missed a clue. Maybe we shall soon find one."

"Harmonious outcome. That is what I hope for. But we must prepare for all possibilities."

"Yes. The first goal of our actions must be to ensure the survival of our species. The second must be to ensure the maintenance of all good things promised in the First Principle."

"Survival first, prosperity second, you are clear. We must strive for peace, but prepare for war."

"War. Ugh. What a hideous concept. I should hope to never live to see it."

"Better war than extinction. But better peace than war."

"Well said, valued Hlur. What then do you suppose our actions will be?"

"Hold the Hmeeur in the Goaeem system for as long as necessary. Have them retreat at once if they are threatened again. Attempt to communicate from a distance, in as many different media as we may. In one of these, surely, we must find their song. And if they do not sing back to us..."

The pair fell silent, their musical discourse reducing to a quiet, rhythmic hum.

Handy, in return I provide to you my own personal collection of publicly revealed information about the Kowlint (with some expanded notes on background details).
I'll try to keep this updated as I post new material.

Spoiler Encyclopaedia Torrhennicca :
Ships:
Perrel - Explorer, named for Gorlon Trenem Perrel, an archaeologist who brought Vorn astronomical knowledge into Kolwint science.
Vontan - Freighter, named for Yirin Janaan Vontan who was the first Kowlint to use an astronomical telescope.

People:
Jezen Fillar Optarat - chairman of the Torrhenn Presidential Council
Limost Jarnak Yillim - Polyhistor and chairman of the Universities Council
Helem Yin Gersikt - Captain of the Perrel
Jornab Elfim Yerelel - Diplomat aboard the Perrl
* * Heref - Vice-President on the Presidential Council
* * Caram - Vice-President on the Presidential Council
* * Fitrell - Vice-President on the Presidential Council

Systems:
Teqel
Jenral
Yimil (Zhang)
Farill

Other:
Kethlix project - A planned R&D project to REDACTED.
Kestin - The major unit of Torrhennian currency.
Hena - A beverage. When produced hena is a murky green colour and has an unappetising flavour, when correctly processed the liquid turns bright purple and acquires a flavour prized by Kowlint. Most hena is sold pre-processed but the flavour is thought to diminish and for that reason elite Kowlint purchase green hena which is served in platinum or palladium plated tankards that catalyse the reaction for the best taste.
Dereng Press - A news outlet
Haljut Prime - A news outlet
Tri-D Gossip - Purveyor of celebrity gossip and similar schlok
Homeworld - A 'news' outlet militantly opposed to leaving Torrhenn, highly xenophobic, has a passing relationship with factual accuracy

In the update, what happened to in progress projects (such as the Torrhenn World Halo) as they no longer seem to be supported by the rules?

And with regards to exploring systems, the Torrhennian Astrocartography Council has designated the system [Obs-134] as Jenral.

As the ship cruised into an orbit around the dusty planet of Ferron, Hoban gazed out upon the world he would surely call home for a time. Among the various mountain ranges and red barren steppes of the world he thought he could spy a twinkle, a shining glimmer of light reflecting off of the metal-clad structures of the colony. He would soon be down there amongst the throngs of flalloreans hurriedly doing their jobs, whether it be for mining or scientific research, lost in the crowds of newcomers. Orbiting the planet the Flallorean Warship was patrolling the system, projecting security to the colonists from dangers unknown.

At this point in the trip, those who could were peering out the windows like Hoban, eager to set eyes upon their new home. It was during this period of awe and astonishment that one settler yelled out, “There’s something coming out of warp around Ferron!” It was well known that trips between Desmong and Ferron were only chartered for once a month, and their flight was the last of the year.

As it was, another ship was indeed coming out of warp, drawing the attention of everyone on the colony ship. In fact the incoming ship caught the attention of the Warship above Ferron, which was turning to face the possible threat. Immediately the rogue vessel began launching some sort of projectiles down towards the surface, what they were is impossible to tell. There was an awkward moment where the two ships seemed to just stare at each other, perhaps attempting communication, before the Flallorean Warship opened fire with laser cannons. In response the unknown ship exchanged fire with the Warship, in which it shortly became obvious to all that it was no match for the Warship’s superior firepower. Once the inevitable result of the fight was known, it appeared that the rogue ship was able to activate its warp drive and escape the firefight in a spectacle of light and fire.

To all on the colony ship who were watching from afar it was clear that they had just witnessed the first ever contact with an alien race, and that any action taken from here on out would require extreme caution and consideration, as no one knew the nature of the aliens intentions and if they were friendly. If they were friendly, could they have turned violent?

To Hoban everything was in question, anything possible. The firefight left him with mixed feelings of dread and curiosity, not knowing the answers to questions about the sentient alien life were frightening but exhilarating all the same.

Submitted for potential translation and transmission for the new visitors to our world.

Several worlds are known to experience seasons. These can occur through differences in orbital distance and relative axial tilt throughout the course of a year. In the case of Hmmaia, the home moon of my species, seasons are caused by the eccentric orbit of the gas-giant, Arrunn which we orbit; 'summer' is when Arrunn is closest to the sun, and 'winter' is when Arrunn is at the furthest part of its orbit. Our whole world experiences the seasons together, with no difference between north and south hemispheres; like many moons of large planets, we have basically nil axial tilt or orbital inclination, not that it would make any difference in our case.

[Incidentally, the various names for Arrunn in various old tongues almost always stem from 'giant' or 'big', and even in modern standard parlance, simply saying 'the big' will often suffice, although a distinct band of languages technically refer to Arrunn as the 'clouds beyond clouds'. But I digress]

The orbit is eccentric enough that summer is fast and fleeting, and winter is slow and prolonged. But the heat absorbed during summer takes some time to dissipate, and gives us a warm autumn season; indeed, Hmmaia would be a scorched desert if it remained orbiting so close to the sun. Winter is at its coldest as we already begin to pass inwards again from median orbit. This leads to some rapid heating.

The first shock of summer triggers an initial batch of heavy storms around the equator, which can travel all around our moon, signalling that summer is here. By various compensating processes in our atmosphere, there is a relatively quiet period during mid-summer, during which many species perform their reproductive activities, before a tipping point occurs in late summer / early autumn. This tipping point does not trigger every single year. But when it does, it brings the 'true' storms, which are powerful enough to reshape the landscape at random; shrublands are scoured clean of vegetation, lakes are sucked up and poured onto deserts, mountainsides are eroded away, and entire valleys are filled up with mud and debris. Indeed, were it not for the high degree of tectonic activity on our moon - driven by tidal heating of the interior - our world would be weathered completely flat within a few thousand years.

The 'true' storms are hazardous to complex life. As such, life has come up with two contrasting solutions; either breed en-mass and then die off, leaving only hardy eggs, larvae and spores behind; or be strong and resilient enough to outlast the storms, as well as the cold winter season that follows.

My species, the Hurrunn, is one of the latter. Nature has designed us with thick skin, sturdy ground-hugging bodies, limbs and sensory organs that can be partially retracted, and relatively efficient water and nutrient cycling. The drawback of all this is relatively slow metabolisms, growth rates, and reproductive rates - all of which lends itself to longevity, and longevity to intelligence and complex social interactions. The evolution of tool use allowed us to access many more food sources than otherwise, and the evolution of language allowed small groups of individuals meeting infrequently to share complex information that may have been accumulated over centuries. Thus, a mature individual has gained a complete toolkit for survival in a range of climates and conditions that they may find themselves in throughout their lives; any patch of ground on Hmmaia may be a desert one year, a marsh the next, and shrubland the year after. It is also for these reasons that civilization developed slowly and sporadically, and was built largely in the shelter of caves and tunnels beneath the surface.

I apologise for such rambling, for I merely meant to set the stage for who we are, in relation to our present encounter with aliens to our world, who arrive in late summer, to find our surface littered with dying plants and animals, many falling dead from the skies, along with drifting spores and seeds and larvae, in a steady rain of free protein, for those who are so inclined to gather and feed upon it; indeed, you may see large vehicles emerge from our sheltered cities to harvest them.

With respect, I shall pause this dissemination at this point.

(handprint here)

Murrummue Shurrann Ummae, Vice-Arbiter of Natural History Studies for Hunnurrae Old Undercity.

Last edited:
"Are they speaking with their ingestors?" exclaimed Helem Yin Gersikt, captain of the Perrel. "That Vorn-brain Grelf made contact with extratorrhennians before we did? Unbelievable!"
"I'm as irked as you captain," responded Jornab Elfim Yerelel - the Perrel's resident diplomat - although his cool demeanour was at odds with his words, "but we can still potentially open diplomatic channels before a diplomat from home can be sent to meet these Kul'Hari."
Gersikt sighed. "We can't be certain those signals from Yimil are artificial in origin and we can't safely operate at that range."
"Come now, the chance of those signals being natural is less that 1 in 120 and if we tell the Presidential Council we're investigating they will have no option but to establish a way station in Jenral, the budget will bear it."
"And if they don't?" Gersikt sounded skeptical.
"By making contact with the Kul'Hari the Vontan has demonstrated the efficacy of the Kashrek Protocols and long range analysis shows the Yimil system contains at least one planet with organic materials. Once we make contact we can negotiate to resupply in-system."
"I'll consider it."

--------------

EXTRATORRHENNIANS!
Yesterday the freighter Vontan under Captain Sidrij Bolne Grelf made first contact with a sentient alien species in the Farill system.
The Dereng Press understands that communication has been established with the aliens who refer to themselves as "Kul'Hari".

"How in Gareg did this get out?" demanded Chairman Optarat. "Every outlet is leading with this. The Dereng Press, Haljut Prime, even Tri-D Gossip!"
"It doesn't matter how it happened, it's out. The question is how do we respond?" replied Vice-President Heref.
"At this point full disclosure is the only option," insisted Vice-President Caran. "Anything else looks like a cover up and there's no real security risk from the public knowking."
"Not unless you read Homeworld, who are advocating an immediate military strike to "wipe out the extratorrhennian menace", despite the fact we have no military. But I concur," agreed Optarat.
"What about the request from Captain Gersikt?" asked Vice-President Fitrell.
"That will require some serious discussion, given the cost."

I'm loving the latest posts, thank you!! I really appreciate it after keeping this in hiatus for so long...

In the update, what happened to in progress projects (such as the Torrhenn World Halo) as they no longer seem to be supported by the rules?

Yes, I meant to say - I didn't find a place for the old projects in the latest rules. Progress was put into technology and planet development.

I've been thinking about some kind of 'galactic wonders' to replace them. The way it might work is that you get some kind of 'epic points' over time, or as rewards. These points can be spent on leaders / agents, unit experience, or as discounts on wonders.

Wonders would otherwise have a fixed cost, be expensive, and the cost would ramp up for the number of wonders you already own (hence the choice of keeping or demolishing those that you capture).

EDIT: the wonders would have one or two, clear benefits, like boosting income, reducing upkeep, allowing near-unlimited unit spawning at the planet, cultural/happiness, diplomatic influence, military bonuses, attracting more traders, some free units spawned at regular intervals, intelligence / spy bonus, preventing rebellions... wow I actually have a lot of ideas ;)

But... I felt the rules might be complex enough already. Let me know what you think.

Do freighters still have an economic impact if the system they're in lacks an asteroid belt?
I notice some unexplored systems have icons that aren't mentioned in the OP, what do these mean?

Do freighters still have an economic impact if the system they're in lacks an asteroid belt?

Sorry, not any more - it seemed too complicated to work alongside colonisation. You can still explore with them though (albeit slowly), and they could be used to recover debris and things that have EP value (which you'll be notified about if they occur).

I notice some unexplored systems have icons that aren't mentioned in the OP, what do these mean?

Ah, I meant to say about that as well. Its a system that has strong indications of either lots of heavy metals / rare minerals (the crystal symbol), and/or biological life (the leaf symbol), based on spectral analysis or whatnot.

Sorry, not any more - it seemed too complicated to work alongside colonisation. You can still explore with them though (albeit slowly), and they could be used to recover debris and things that have EP value (which you'll be notified about if they occur).

In that case can they be used to accompany other vessels beyond supply range to reduce the risk of getting lost at sea and/or travel outside normal supply range to allow the construction of space bases. I have a freighter that needs a use in the new rule set.

In that case can they be used to accompany other vessels beyond supply range to reduce the risk of getting lost at sea and/or travel outside normal supply range to allow the construction of space bases. I have a freighter that needs a use in the new rule set.

Yep definitely, that's a good idea as it prevents a catastrophe if one of the ships has a problem.

I also just remembered that I added a 'space base' in orbit of Torrhenn, again it was a way of representing the world halo project.

Ideally space bases would be built within your supply zone/radius, but I could allow it beyond that, where you have a freighter loitering, if you accept a slight chance of mishaps or delays to construction.

Greborag Technological Academy
DATE Performed: 12.34.217 UE
HOUR Performed: 1900
Performed by: Vegal, Yelon, M.D
Summary Autopsy Report
NAME: ALIEN DOB: ??? AGE: ??? SEX: ???
DOD: 12.27.217 UE FOUND: Orbit around Ferron

COD:
Fire/Explosion/Vacuum of Space

EXAMINATION:
It appears that the specimen was ejected into the vacuum of space during the brief firefight between the Flallore Warship and the alien vessel. It is uncertain whether the lifeform was alive when it entered the vacuum of space. The charred remnants of flesh found lead to the conclusion that a fire broke out in the vicinity of this creature, possibly leading to its death. Fractures around the shell also lead to believe that the creature was the victim of an explosion.

BODY ANALYSIS:
External Structure:
The creature looks similar to that of clams found in the shallows of Desmong, but with a strange mutation of appendages sticking out of the shell. It is assumed that the creature is able to tuck itself into its shell if there is danger, but there is no way to confirm that hypothesis. Each appendage appears to be a form of arm, with what we believe is 3 or more fingers at the end. We cannot deduce how many of these arms it has usually.

Strangely, there also appears to have been some kind of sensory organ at the end of the ‘arms.’ We found a nerve that is similar to the optic nerve we have buried within the muscles of the arm. If this indeed is how it sees, then we ponder how the creature processes these images from each arm. If we assume the creature walks along with these arms acting as legs, its vision would appear vastly strange compared to our own.

There is a delicate fan of sorts that juts out from the shell and extends for a distance roughly equal to its shell. We do not know if this fan will continue to grow or whether it forms a pattern. Perhaps the fan acts as a mating signal to the opposite sex, IF there is more than one sex.

Internal Structure:
Examination and hypothesis speculates that the creature does not have a skeletal structure, but instead appears to be controlled and supported through muscles throughout the body. The musculature system is not comparable to anything found on Desmong.

Within the shell of the specimen appears to be the location of vital organs, including what we speculate to be the brain. Although the organs within the shell should have been protected from the explosion, the fire that we found evidence for seems to have destroyed most of the inside.

END REMARKS:
Specimen is still suspect of much confusion and interest. No forms of language or communication organs were found or can be hypothesized. The physical form of the creature does not lend to the suspicion that the species is inherently aggressive or hostile. Evidence from this report tends to aid the argument that the species thrived in an environment of little predation, and is therefore considered to be more pacifist in nature.

Expedition Director Mon Varheem hung to the command bars of the command room, alone, droning a soft dirge to no one. The repairs would be complete soon. Then would begin the long slip back to Seeoo. Mon's misery had many causes: the death of close friends, the failure of the mission... but most of all, the violence that they encountered. Mon knew that the Directorate needed new worlds. It needed them desperately. Finding a dangerous, hostile force had terrifying implications. What if such things existed in all directions? If they were too strong to overcome, the Hlur-Baiheen would be forced against themselves, and the five principles would crack and fail. The Worst War would be renewed, and the song of their species would go quiet. It was the worst of all possible fates. But barely better was the scenario if the forces of the outer galaxy could be overcome. The Directorate would advance forward as an all-destroying thunderwave, fighting an eternal war for living space. It would be a terrible and warped universe. Perhaps death and silence would be even better than unending cacophony.

A message. Mon Varheem listened intently. The humming sound grew darker as it proceeded.

Contact protocol? In this state? It didn't make sense. Against something that strikes without provocation? Something that attacks before singing?

But no. Mon had a duty to the Directorate. And there was a chance. The slimmest chance.

Comms opened up.

"Ueema, launch the broadcast beacon. We shall sing one last time, into the murderous void, and see if it sings back."

A small, transmitting beacon burst out of a jury-rigged equipment bay. A small, one-use engine activated, and it slipped in and out of space as it skipped like a superluminal stone towards the site of the battle. It emerged back into normal space, and sent out a series of pings, crisp ascending chords in a major key. The beacon split in two, as its propulsion unit fused into a solid, burnt-out lump of metal. One half descended into the atmosphere of the anomalous world. The second remained in space. Both contained a teardrop-shaped panel, upon which were ridged, raised symbols, sequences of embedded chemicals, and a long, spiraling groove. As the descending lander entered the atmosphere, the realm of sound and vibration once more, it began to transmit its message through sound, while its spacebound sibling relayed the transmission of the Hlur-Baiheen vessel.

The music began soft, and hopeful. Mon Varheem sang of the mission, of the journey, and then of the arrival in this place. The song grew dark, and sharply punctuated, before going soft again. Mournful now, Mon sang of those who had died, who they were, what they had been, and what had been lost.

A second voice now took over, in harmony with the first. Together, they sang of their people, their homeworld's foolishness and war, the long, agonizing near-death of their kind, but their ultimate survival. They sang, with caution but growing optimism, of the now and the future, a world where all is good, a galaxy in harmonious peace.

And thus did the message tie into itself. Violence and mistakes of the past, leading into a better future. It rhymed with itself on multiple levels, in typical Hlur-Baiheen fashion.

The broadcast, at this point cut off. The beacons would continue to broadcast their messages until their antiquated chemical batteries failed.

"The message is sent. Let us see if it can sing back."

Top Bottom