O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America! God shed His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

Link to video.

America has declared its independence! Will it grow and prosper? Or will it fade into the darkness like the rest of the world's empires?

Spoiler :
You're the Congressmen and you elect yourself. You shall propose bills (what you would like to do), and the president shall either pass or veto it.

Any state without a live congressmen shall have a congressman run by myself.

Simpy state which state you would like to be a congressman of, and you shall be it (in a state I can control already, of course). If there is already a congressman from that state, and there are other open states, pick an open state. If there is already a congressman from that state, and all other states have one, then you will be allowed to represent that state.

Congressmen

- Lockie Jon (Niccolo Edwards) (MA)
- James Wheeler (TheNoob) (SD)
- Johnathan Smith (GreekAnalyzer) (NC)
- Anton Levonyan II(Matthias I) (CA)
- John Milkwright (Royal Tenenbaum) (WA)
- Harrison Goulding (CaterpillarKing) (AR)
- Nick Wilson (TrentonC) (IL)
Spoiler :

- Philander Penrose (trexeric) (PA)
- Hermann Osterhaus (Oliverkahn987) (MO)

Table of Contents

Revolution

- Independence
- Freedom

Starting Anew

- The War of 1812
- Election of 1828
- Growing Tensions
- Election of 1844

The Unitarian Party Arises

- The Rise of the Unitarian Party
- Election of 1864: A Stunning Defeat

Separating Interests

- The Conundrum in the Tundra
- Canada and the South
- The Epitome of Canadian Nationalism
- Election of 1874

The Gilded Age

- The Gilded Age
- Election of 1886
- The Populist Party

The Turn of the Century

- A Nation Divided
- Election of 1896
- The Pullman Strike
- Merging of the Parties
- President Bryan Speaks Out
- Presidential Predicament
- Impeachment of President Bryan to Commence

The 20th Century

- The 20th Century
- Election of 1900
- The Rise of Roosevelt
- Election of 1904
- The American Empire
- Election of 1912

Changing Times

- The Fight for Suffrage
- The Suffering Suffragette
- Debs Awakens
- President Debs Releases Maps!
- The Calm Before the Storm
- Election of 1920
- Peace and War and Life and Death

Bills put to vote

- Utilize Our Resources Act of 1778 (Passed)
- Expand Our Economy Act of 1804 (Amended)
- Amended Expand Our Economy Act of 1804 (Passed)
- Congressional Information Act of 1804 (Passed)
- Imminent Acquisition Bill of 1804 (Amended)
- Non-Violent Acquisitions Act of 1804 (Amended)
- Edwards-Caunoghaun Acquisition Bill (1804) (Passed)
- 13th Amendment - Congressional-Federal Balance Act (Amended)
- Amended Congressional-Federal Balance Act (Passed)
- Democratic Emblem Bill (Passed)
- Federal Trade Bill (Passed)
- Federalist Emblem Bill (Passed)
- Carolinian Dominion Bill (Rejected)
- American Export Bill (Passed)
- States' Rights Bill (Rejected)
- Extended Presidential Powers Bill (Amended)
- Emergency Presidential Powers Act (Passed)
- Milkwright Bill of 1864 (Passed)
- Infrastructure Development Act (Passed)
- Strengthen and Protect America Act (SAPAA) (Amended)
- National Defense Act of 1864 (Passed)
- State Dissidence Act of 1864 (Passed)
- Canada Requisition Act of 1874 (Passed)
- National Academy of the Sciences Act (Passed)
- Workers' Fairness Act of 1886 (Passed)
- Peace Act of 1896 (Passed)
- Expand Our Borders Act of 1896 (Passed) (Repealed)
- Impeachment of President Bryan (Passed by VP)
- Uniting and Strengthening America By Attacking Canada's Key cities (USA BACK) (Passed)
- National Market Act (Passed)
- National Academy Act (Passed)
- Sunshine on America Act (Passed)
- Presidential Authority Act (Passed by VP)
- Manifest Destiny Act (Passed)
- Voter Fraud Protection Act (Passed by VP)
- American Annex Act (Passed)

Bill Posting Guideline

Bill:

Proposer:

Details:

States in Congress

Green = Eligible state to represent

Purple = State claimed

White = Not currently a state

Political Parties

[

Spoiler :
New York is weird because I had to redraw the border. If you're curious you can ask I guess

Light gray: State, but no congressman and party

Dark gray: Claimed state with no party affiliation

Black: Unitarian Party (Left)

Red: Democratic-Republican (Right)

Light blue: Independent Congressman, Left wing

Pink: Independent Congressman, Right wing

Niccolo Edwards - Massachusetts
Platform:
A devout believer in a strong federal government. The individual states must have autonomy over issues that do not transcend state boundaries but in matters that do transcend boundaries the federal government must have control.

Independence

General Washington looked about the plains; it was time to start anew. He and his men settled in Washington, District of Columbia. Here would be the command center of all of their operations.

America had been tired of British taxes on their citizens! All of these crazy taxes, the Stamp Act, trade laws, AND a tax on sugar!? Preposterous! This is taxation without representation; we don't have ANY say on what taxes are put onto us! However, the rest of the colonies haven't decided to join us just yet, so we'll focus on those Indians to the east of Washington so that we won't have to worry about them later.

General Washington and some of his grenadiers and minutemen took to the plains to fight the Indians. They were no match; we suffered no casualties. All of the Mohawk warriors were defeated, giving our new green recruits some experience, in case the Crown doesn't take too kindly to us becoming independent.

I do wonder if those other colonies will decide to join us...

It appears the Crown has finally decided to strike back... too bad they don't know the land as well as we do! We may not be the most well equipped, but we'll stealth it out and take 'em out!

General Washington receives a letter on his way back from the formal decree of war from the Crown. It appears the United States has gotten some helping hands against the Crown...

The rest of the colonies have decided to reject British rule. This means America now controls the states: New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.

The newly formed states and their governments met in Washington to create their own state constitution, however, now that the British have officially declared war, Congress wrote the Declaration of Independence, and declared themselves the United States of America.

Of course, the only official Congressman so far is Niccolo Edwards of Massachusetts, meaning that the other Congressmen are temporary...

To expand our nation, a group of explorers was sent to the Indiana Territory to settle another city.

General Washington decided to lower the science budget to 70% of its usual funding in order to boost the United States's economy as they go through war. If Congress wishes for anything else, however, it shall be enacted.​

Bill: Utilize Our Resources Act of 1778

Proposer: Alexander Adams (NC)

Details: Send, at a minimum, of two workers to build a road and mine on top of the coal 1N of Washington, DC, and station one Cannon as protection from the British until peacetime.

Yea - 7

Nay - 6

The Utilize Our Resources Act of 1778 has PASSED.

The vote of Congressman Niccolo Edwards shall be the deciding vote.

Spoiler :
Congressmen are free to vote Yea or Nay, or even propose their own changes to the bill, which will then be put to a vote, so long as the original proposer consents to the amendment.

In regards to the bill "Utilize Our Resources Act of 1778" The Congressman from Massachusetts, Niccolo Edwards shall vote Yea.

Freedom

The settler I sent out west as founded the city of Chicago on the coast of Lake Michigan (named after a local Indian word, I think). However, there isn't too much time to focus on Chicago; I have a war to fight. I told them to train some minutemen and that was that.

With the founding of Chicago and the territory surrounding become ours, we have created the states of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois.

The Royal Navy decided they had the confidence to send a frigate to attack one of our galleons off the coast of New York! Unfortunately, we lost the galleon, but one of our other frigates decided to strike back with a healthy dose of vengeance. We sank the darned Brits.

Another Native uprising. I sent some troops that were stationed in Washington to take care of it. Somehow, we lost some minutemen, but the rest of our troops were able to take those savages out. I'm tired of them; why cannot we focus solely on the British?

Some pirates appeared to the east of Charleston. Probably some hidden British troops, but I don't know for sure. Could just have been some past admiral who thought they could fight back against me, General Washington. Maybe when I fend off the Crown we could elect some presidents.

The Brits said they'd consider peace, but by peace, they meant a temporary ceasefire with strings attached! I don't have time for this.

Finally! I get to take the fight to the Crown and their other land! I sent some cannons and troops to siege the city of York in the north in Canada. They had two battalions of redcoats stationed there, but that isn't anything we can't handle. The cannons took down their defenses and weakened their battalions. Of course, we lost the cannons and the men in the process. God bless their souls.

I couldn't help myself; I had to fight along with our troops as we fought the redcoats in York. I commanded them and the minutemen as they attacked the city, fighting to take it back from their British overlords. Don't these people understand we're here to fight for their independence? Don't they want that?

We did it! We took York from the Crown! Little did they think we could fight back and take a city as strong and historical as York! I can't even believe it myself. Hopefully those imperial bigwigs will see that we're no pushover.

Unfortunately, I got shot in all of the chaos. It doesn't look good; it has some pus in it. I believe it's infected. I immediately sent a letter to Washington telling the news, and to create the state of Ontario, in honor of York.

George Washington died that next year in the Battle of Moose Factory. America had taken the city after Britain wouldn't take peace without being given York. America took the city, under the lead of Washington, and burned the city to the ground. Washington died of his infection after the battle.

Finally, the British got it through their thick heads that we are independent. We sent our diplomats to London for peace talks, and they finally accepted peace with no strings attached. We are free.

As we had no president at the time, Thomas Jefferson was chosen as the next president, as to Alexander Hamilton's chagrin.

The states of Michigan, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas, and Alabama were also founded, to go along with Ontario.

Bill: Expand Our Economy Act of 1804

Proposer: Tobias Kingsley (NH)

Details: Build a Market in all of our main cities without one, and focus on improving health, culture, and our economy by doing things such as building theatres, harbors, or libraries.

Yea: 11

Nay: 12

AMENDED

Ontario does not have a Congressman until York's revolt settles down.

Spoiler :
OCC: Are we allowed to sponsor our own bills?

In regards to the bill "Expand Our Economy Act of 1804" The Congressman from Massachusetts, Niccolo Edwards shall vote Nay.

In defence of his actions the Congressman would like to claim his reasoning as follows;
The defence of our state against the potential aggression of the British or Other Foreign Powers as well as against Indian insurrections and civil uprisings, especially in the state of Ontario, must take priority over constructing markets or even worse theatres. This is an abuse of taxpayer's money which could be better directed towards the defence of this land and its people.

One day constructing theatres and libraries will become possible and affordable. However, until we can guarantee this nation's citizens security we must not waste time and resources on, what are currently, frivolous and unaffordable projects, many of which, such as the construction of theatres and libraries, fall under the purview of the state's authority rather than that of the federal government. In the case of those that fall under the purview of the federal government's authority, such as markets and harbours, these construction activities must be stopped in order to respond to threats, both domestic and international. Only once the safety and defence of this nation's people has been attained, secured and can be maintained, should these programs and activities should receive the full attentions and care of this government.

In response to this the Congressman from Massachusetts will be sponsoring a bill "The Strengthening National Security and Defence Act of 1804" Its key tenants will be as follows;
1. The construction of barracks and military bases on state or federally owned land (or land purchased by the state or federal government(s) near each major city,
2. The formation or positioning of one defensive unit in each city, town or village that is proportionate in size to the population of the city, town or village that it is stationed in
3. The formation or positioning of three units of roughly equal number of men-at-arms along the Canadian-American border to respond in the event of an attack or incursion,
4. The construction of eight new war ships that will patrol coasts and oceans,
5. The formation of two new units to investigate the West,
6. The federal governments should investigate the viability of the construction of markets and ports in major cities upon accomplishing the goals laid out by this act.

Yes, anyone can sponsor a bill.

The bill ties, but one congressman says they shall vote Yea if the ship requirement is lowered to the very least four.

Thank you.

Let it be know that the proposed bill:
"The Strengthening National Security and Defence Act of 1804" Shall be amended as such:

1. Article IV shall now allow for the construction of four new warships that will patrol the coast and oceans.

The amended Expand Our Economy Act of 1804 has been passed by a vote of 13-10, with some Congressman changing their votes that were not expected to.

I'm going to create my own Congressman now (congressmen in green states shall vote to keep votes even until purple states voted), because I want to be part of my own story (LOL).

Please welcome Congressman Jon Noobsley of Michigan, who supports a federal government with a good amount of power, but will still respect the need for state and individual rights.

OOC: Welcome to the story, story teller.
This will be interesting, especially when the congressmen start to do things behind each other's backs. Also, will there be a senatorial component to this game (America is a bicameral system after all). I am assuming that at some point we will have to create new congressmen to replace our current ones as well.

The Congressman from Massachusetts would like to formally welcome the Congressman, Jon Noobsley of Michigan to the house and wish him the best of luck in his efforts to serve this country.

Unless we get a lot more active people, I'll just stave off with the Senate.

Plus the presidents have been pretty easy with passing bills, now that I notice it

Leonard Caunoghaun - North Carolina
Spoiler :

In strong contrast to popular congressmen Niccolo Edwards, Leonard Caunoghaun of North Carolina supports a stronger federal government, strong expansionism, and meticulous diplomacy to support America's aspirations.
He reaches out his arm to Jon Noobley and hopes to create a political party for federalism.

Bill: Congressional Information Act of 1804
Proposer: Leonard Caunoghaun (NC)
Sypnosis: Congressman Caunoghaun of North Carolina asks the Senate and the president to release diplomatic information on the nations we currently have embassies with. It is important for the decisions and planning of our nation that we know which nations are friendly with whom, which nations are worst enemies of whom, allies, enemies, and nations that seek out resources in which we can establish treaties with, or nations supplying strategic resources for our domestic growth.

The Act also asks for the release of our civics, and proposes a constitutional meeting in 1812 to amend the constitution (civics)

Bill: Imminent Acquisition Bill of 1804
Proposer: Leonard Caunoghaun (NC)
Sypnosis: The aim of this bill will be to acquire European colonies in the vicinity of the United States. The territories of Quebec and Louisiana are our immediate goal.
Part I - The navy will NOT BE USED during this war. The French navy is estimated to be strong compared to ours, and it would be suicide to fight in such an environment. We will rely on ground troops.
Part II - Minimal forces will be kept behind in cities; we will divert our troops to the front of the war.
Part III - We will focus on turning our neighbors against Spain, who we must weaken and bleed bankrupt before we can met her.
Part IV - The Indians of the Southeast states will be relocated into the Lousiana territory to both weaken France's stability and protect the citizens of our states
Part V - One settler should be trained to colonize the northwest -- Oregon Territory. The city established shall be named New Raleigh. Half our workers will work on establishing a road to New Raleigh.

In regards to the bill "Congressional Information Act of 1804" The Congressman from Massachusetts, Niccolo Edwards shall vote Yea.
In regards to the bill "Imminent Acquisition Bill of 1804 " The Congressman from Massachusetts, Niccolo Edwards shall vote Nay.
We cannot afford a war at this time, we should seek to peacefully separate the lands from the French who are likely in need of funds. If the French refuse we should wait until our nation is strong enough or has enough allies to defeat the French.

The Congressman from Massachusetts will be sponsoring a bill "The Non-Violent Acquisitions Act of 1804" Its key tenants and articles shall be as follows;
1. The United States of America will seek a treaty with France that will allow it to take control of Louisiana and Quebec,
2. The United States Congress shall make allowances for the expenditure of 1000 gold for this purchase,
3. France shall promise to the United States that in the event of a war between the United States and Spain France shall take the side of the United States of America,
4. The Indians shall be relocated to the territories of Louisiana and Quebec to destabilize them and reduce the colonies profitability while also securing the citizens of this country,
5. After securing the territories of Louisiana and Quebec the United States Army shall remove the Indians from the territories and relocate them to other territories.

The Congressman from Massachusetts would like to welcome the Congressman from North Carolina, Leonard Caunoghaun. The Congressman would like to reiterate that he does support a strong federal government that has authority over any issues which transcend individual states, including, to a limited extent, control over the economy.

The Congressman from Massachusetts would strongly urge his fellow Congressmen not to form political parties as they will lead to partisanship and the entrenchment of party-based ideals rather than the independent ideals that we have now. Our current system of governance works fine; the people vote for their congressmen based on their ideals, not the ideals of a party. Political parties and partisanship will also lead to a failure in the system; we will cease to represent the people and rather start to represent parties, we will cease to support legislation and rather start to support only parties, we will cease to allow compromise and rather start to support only legislation put forth by our party.

The Non-Violent Acquisitions Act of 1804 is voted Nay from North Carolina.
Article 1. of the bill is a dream. We will simply look like we are pandering; there is no way they will sell those lands. Thus Article II.
I disagree with your aims, Congressman Edwards! Article 3 has us in a position to attack Spain, when we should clearly secure our immediate borders and expand our frontiers by striking the French.

I propose we combine the Imminent Acquisition Bill and your Non-Violent Acquisitions Act into a compromise bill. Do you accept? It shall be named the Edwards-Caunoghaun Acquisition Bill.

• Keep Articles 4-5 of the Non-Violent Acquisitions Act
• Begin diplomatic means of weakening France.
• Wait until 1812 to declare war and acquire the territories of the French
• Make stronger ties with the Spanish
• Expenditures will not exceet 500 gold until 1820

------------------------------

Leonard Caunoghaun proposes Partisanship. He wishes the parties of the congress to show on the map on the main post. He founds the National Federalist Party and asks to claim the color Red for the party. The platform will be strong federal government and an aim to expand the borders, commonly through war. It also supports federal government transparency and extended party powers. It favors the rich quite much more than the middle-class and lower classes. Federal authority over minorites (relocation of Indians). Extended federal control in both federal and state issues and of the economy. He invites Edwards a co-chairman position. Equal say and votes on the platform (this may drastically change the mission of the party). He urges the congressmen to consider parties as a powerful tool for keeping politics efficient and the state most representative of the people.

Leonard Caunoghain writes and apologizes to Mass. congressment Edwards for mistaking him as an anti-Federalist. He extends his difference with the northern senator by stating he supports a more aggressive expansion policy, along with partisanship.

Top Bottom