Leaderhead creation

Hard mode guess-the-leader time:

Spoiler :

No idea who that is (google image search was thinks your picture is a lemon shark), but I had a play with your picture to make it look a little more cartoon like:

Spoiler :

I know that wasn't really the look you were going for, and the massive head might be a bit overdone (as well as him now appearing to have something of a sun-burn), but I thought I'd share it anyway.

One thing I feel would improve your picture would be to remove the jagged edges of the black border; I think it looks a little too rough. If we look at the borders in the in game leaderscenes, they aren't generally straight, but neither do they look like that. But Hojo Tokimune's leader scene has straight borders, and so does Cleopatra, so sticking to that might be a lot less fiddly.

I am not sure if it is too early, but there are several simple things about the background image I can mention. In general, civ6's background styles give more space to a modder and is much easier than civ5's one. The easiest way is obviously to imitate existing ones, having copied in game leaderscenes to your working area and compare them doing work.
Anyway, the I have attached black border from some video I am using, if needed. Maybe not perfect, but it doesn't matter, because it seems that background is additionally darkened around those black areas.
The right side is additionally covered with some weird brush stuff. The area covered seems to be varied between leaders, so you can choose it freely to some extent. Anyway, I also attached the layer I used (move it around, transform, saturate). I had also some layers "darkening" whole/part of scene to make it look more like the background I was imitating, but this is something that should be did from scratch based on your background.
Now, some hints towards the "background". You can texture it with painting texture. Choosing the painting in first place might be a good solution. Keeping the good perspective is important though, I don't know who is on Homosubi's leaderscene (was thinking about some Prime Minister, but rather not), but the background is making leader looks weird even though he is standing correctly.
There are probably some filters to make photo/painting look more civ 6 like.
I was doing a calque, digitally painting over the painting.

Dunno, what other hints I can give you. Tomyris's background seems to be moving, but I am not sure it would look good with static leader.
Keep general colour theme based on your leader colours? Blur hard like in spanish video, though they may improve that? Probably have fun, if people were okay with blurred images in civ5, you can much likely do anything.

And new update on my Bathory, I wonder what I am gonna improve next. +Progress comparission.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Well, it seems that attachments lose transparency, blackborder, rightside.

I am not sure if it is too early, but there are several simple things about the background image I can mention. In general, civ6's background styles give more space to a modder and is much easier than civ5's one. The easiest way is obviously to imitate existing ones, having copied in game leaderscenes to your working area and compare them doing work.
Anyway, the I have attached black border from some video I am using, if needed. Maybe not perfect, but it doesn't matter, because it seems that background is additionally darkened around those black areas.
The right side is additionally covered with some weird brush stuff. The area covered seems to be varied between leaders, so you can choose it freely to some extent. Anyway, I also attached the layer I used (move it around, transform, saturate). I had also some layers "darkening" whole/part of scene to make it look more like the background I was imitating, but this is something that should be did from scratch based on your background.
Now, some hints towards the "background". You can texture it with painting texture. Choosing the painting in first place might be a good solution. Keeping the good perspective is important though, I don't know who is on Homosubi's leaderscene (was thinking about some Prime Minister, but rather not), but the background is making leader looks weird even though he is standing correctly.
There are probably some filters to make photo/painting look more civ 6 like.
I was doing a calque, digitally painting over the painting.

Dunno, what other hints I can give you. Tomyris's background seems to be moving, but I am not sure it would look good with static leader.
Keep general colour theme based on your leader colours? Blur hard like in spanish video, though they may improve that? Probably have fun, if people were okay with blurred images in civ5, you can much likely do anything.

And new update on my Bathory, I wonder what I am gonna improve next. +Progress comparission.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Well, it seems that attachments lose transparency, blackborder, rightside.

Bathory has come on amazingly!

Has anyone else been making any progress on leaderhead creation? I need something new to get exited about!

Has anyone else been making any progress on leaderhead creation? I need something new to get exited about!

I am no expert at all, but now that I know the Portuguese Leader I want to put in game, I will try to do it.

Afonso de Albuquerque, The lion of the Seas.

Spoiler :

Someone wants to help?

Thanks

I am no expert at all, but now that I know the Portuguese Leader I want to put in game, I will try to do it.

Afonso de Albuquerque, The lion of the Seas.

Spoiler :

Someone wants to help?

Thanks

Afonso certainly appears to be a good leader choice for a naval conquest based empire (you'd need to make sure that it was distinct from Victoria's England though). An original selection as well; most people seem to want either João II or Henry the navigator (not that there is anything wrong with those as choices either).

I like this picture a lot, it looks to me like you could essentially make a leader-screen mostly using assets from this picture:

http://www.tribop.pt/MB/murais/m00/M21 b.jpg

Afonso certainly appears to be a good leader choice for a naval conquest based empire (you'd need to make sure that it was distinct from Victoria's England though). An original selection as well; most people seem to want either João II or Henry the navigator (not that there is anything wrong with those as choices either).

I like this picture a lot, it looks to me like you could essentially make a leader-screen mostly using assets from this picture:

http://www.tribop.pt/MB/murais/m00/M21 b.jpg

It will be distinct, you can be sure of that ;) Just see the thread on Designing your Civ.

Many thanks for the picture, will help alot!

Edited: First try :)

Spoiler :

I think the leader choice is excellent, relatively safe from future official Portugal, while very representative for a civilization. I think he is even more valid than Henry, who was a landlubber. He can also be valid to portrait a Portuguese claw, and remind people about how important Portugal was in the history (imperial aspect, precursors of imperial empires, puny Britain etc.). In civ5, they are portrayed as pacifist traders (with the leader who loose Capital iirc?). Though seriously, shouldn't Mare Clausum provide bonus if you are sending Trade Routes to the places where no one else do?

Well, can't describe my feelings for Brazil being included with the absence of Portugal. It seems that Brazil will become my parsley in civ series to be thrown away, set unplayable and forgot about it. :) I think the official Portugal will be released soon enough (well, it would make it easier for you, to just add a leader), but good luck anyway. Definitely, one of the mods I theoretically would like to see quickly.

In general, I have made the fifth version of Bathory, which seems to be final (started to moving in loops [that moments when you revert changes and can't decide which version is better), mainly lighting, contrast, face-lifting, and I could give Alfonso a try, if you are interested (he would probably end around Bathory quality; see above; end effect may vary of course, but I have a know-how now), if not, it is fine :).

I think the leader choice is excellent, relatively safe from future official Portugal, while very representative for a civilization. I think he is even more valid than Henry, who was a landlubber. He can also be valid to portrait a Portuguese claw, and remind people about how important Portugal was in the history (imperial aspect, precursors of imperial empires, puny Britain etc.). In civ5, they are portrayed as pacifist traders (with the leader who loose Capital iirc?). Though seriously, shouldn't Mare Clausum provide bonus if you are sending Trade Routes to the places where no one else do?

Well, can't describe my feelings for Brazil being included with the absence of Portugal. It seems that Brazil will become my parsley in civ series to be thrown away, set unplayable and forgot about it. :) I think the official Portugal will be released soon enough (well, it would make it easier for you, to just add a leader), but good luck anyway. Definitely, one of the mods I theoretically would like to see quickly.

In general, I have made the fifth version of Bathory, which seems to be final (started to moving in loops [that moments when you revert changes and can't decide which version is better), mainly lighting, contrast, face-lifting, and I could give Alfonso a try, if you are interested (he would probably end around Bathory quality; see above; end effect may vary of course, but I have a know-how now), if not, it is fine :).

Thank you :) I like Brazil and Kongo in but of course Portuguese should be there, thats why I always try to put them in, since Civ I.

I actually want to make all the civ, with all details (not easy, speacially with graphics), but The leader image has always a great impact, at least for me, and Afonso has a unique figure, as a unique person he was.

So please try your best with Afonso, I will appreciate it very much :)

I actually want to make all the civ, with all details (not easy, speacially with graphics)
In this case, it would be extremely unpolite from my side to take this adventure from you. Good luck.

In this case, it would be extremely unpolite from my side to take this adventure from you. Good luck.

Not at all, no one can do anything alone that thrives, and I am not good at graphics. I only said that because I always try to implement every detail, aside from leaders graphics and such, that I am poorly capable of. And I dont have many time after all.

Sorry for the confusion. So, please do Albuquerque! Thanks :)

puny Britain etc

What? :dubious:

:D

and I could give Alfonso a try, if you are interested (he would probably end around Bathory quality; see above; end effect may vary of course, but I have a know-how now), if not, it is fine :).

Well, for my two pennies worth (weird turn of phrase I know, but I feel wrong saying 'two cents' not being an American :dunno:), I really liked how your Bathory leader-screen turned out, and I think a similar style would work very well for Afonso.

@raen Am I right in thinking that by saying you wanted to make the mod yourself, you meant as opposed to just working with a Portugese Civ from Firaxis and giving it a new leader?

@raen Am I right in thinking that by saying you wanted to make the mod yourself, you meant as opposed to just working with a Portugese Civ from Firaxis and giving it a new leader?

Lol, not at all, i just clarified that was not what i was trying to say, i am not english native speaker and i was writing at 6 am(as now). If you see above i even scratched that part of text.

Anyway, at the end of any of my responses, counting this one, i always replyed: please do albuquerque!

I will be very appreciated :)

It is done then, uncompressed file, another hint is to be careful about quality loss while compressing graphics into a mod.

It is done then, uncompressed file, another hint is to be careful about quality loss while compressing graphics into a mod.

Amazing JOB :goodjob: thank you very much :D

Spoiler :

PS: Are you willing to do manuel I? Thanks :goodjob:

Wow, that's got to be one of the best fan leaderscreens so far!

PS: Are you willing to do manuel I?
I will assume it is a compliment. One is enough, isn't it.

I tend to improve graphics over time, after looking at them with fresh eye (I already see some areas to improve), so I might send you a PM in future. Good luck with your mod.

I tend to improve graphics over time, after looking at them with fresh eye (I already see some areas to improve)

I think he looks great as it is (though I'm doubtless you will be able to make him look even better). Love the background as well.

My only real criticism is that your Afonso appears to be bald; this is not the case in depictions of him.

I'm planning to stick with static leaders. One of my concerns about animating is - who is going to voice all the animated leaders? I've only seen Marbozir's preview but it looked like Teddy was speaking as per Civ 5 Firaxis leaderheads. Or would you be animating particular stances to indicate anger, happiness, neutrality etc?

for modern leaderheads it could be possible to take the original voice, for ancient leaderheads reuse the existing voices;)

Let's get on with it.

Spoiler :

(just a 3 hour concept art for now, but at least the background is halfway done)

:goodjob:

I will assume it is a compliment. One is enough, isn't it.

I tend to improve graphics over time, after looking at them with fresh eye (I already see some areas to improve), so I might send you a PM in future. Good luck with your mod.

Yes, a compliment :goodjob:

Many thanks :D

Top Bottom