Has anyone noticed that the CIV III/PTW city view really looks bad?

saintly_saint

Regent
I mean c'mon you got a size 12 medieval city with 4 houses and a palace in it :lol: , thats just not ralistic, if there may be a gfx pack for it which i haven't found could someone point me to it

Sim city-style cities would be nice, but we are asking too much... ;)

I've not looked at the city view since ... some early patch of Vanilla, I think. I remember it bugged me back in CivII that no matter how big the city was, and no matter how many improvements it had, the residential areas remained those tiny, scattered huts. Why include it, if they're not feeling like doing it well?

Yes, there is no point to city view, I think. It is not worth it for them to invest the time in making graphics that will make it truly interesting to look at. Better to have only palace view, and improve upon that so that it has animations, such as citizens rioting outside the palace when in disorder (perhaps ripping pieces off of it), or adding on parts for you during celebrations. This might actually make things more interesting, if the palace had many more parts and needed refurbishment during each era, you could add a bit to your score for every renovation done, and subtract for every part lost due to riots, enemy bombardment (you should be punished for letting the enemy so near to your capital), and so on.

There is a graphics mod by Ismailov that makes the city view look a lot better, not that I look there often, but it's nice to have. I can't find it now, but it's on my HD and definetely in my mod folder.

Now that you say that about you cant see the wonders in C3C..I was wondering why they would not make the wonders in the city..

P.S - only a few wonders are displayed in the citys like Pyrimids, etc. most of the orginals

Meh, it just pisses me off that after I invest so much into a city I only see like 3 houses, go figure :S

Worse is when there are some tiny houses connected by dirt roads and the one lone skyscraper

I find the City View looks okish in the Modern Era, with all kinds of huge buildings. But I agree, the City View is typically fairly useless. If they are going to include it, it should at least show the city in better detail, maybe a zoom function, show the surrounding terrian nicer. Maybe allow you to swivel the city around, look at it from all sides, chat with your people (ok, I am getting ahead of myself now). You guys get the general picture.

I haven't looked at the city view since I played vanilla Civ 3 (last March). It's too bad your city looks tiny and underdeveloped even after you've built all of the improvements and become a metropolis. Maybe they will improve it in Civ 4 (not necessary, but some refinement would be nice).

oh ya a little off topic but all of you obviously kno that cities above siZe 6 have their walls removed, but i don't think thats realistic as even metropolises with pop bigger than 6 (eg. size 12) whose population is about 800.000 had walls in ancient times, just look at London, Paris, Cologne, further they even had their walls rbuilt as the city grew<>?

We Want:
A Patch with Better 3D City View

We Give:
$19.99 for the Patch

I guess you should be able to build walls all the time then, but they shouldn't have any (or really really little) effect against units in industrial and modern era... Perhaps something like this should be in Civ IV?

BTW, I'd rather look at the current 2D graphics instead of 3D.

Originally posted by saintly_saint
oh ya a little off topic but all of you obviously kno that cities above siZe 6 have their walls removed, but i don't think thats realistic as even metropolises with pop bigger than 6 (eg. size 12) whose population is about 800.000 had walls in ancient times, just look at London, Paris, Cologne, further they even had their walls rbuilt as the city grew<>?

Yupp, still off topic, but I figured a reply was in order.

Nope, it's totally realistic. No cities had 800K+ and walls. The only city that had that kind of population Edo (Japan) with over a million had no walls. Constantinople in ancient times is a rather unique case due to its geographic positioning and central position in an Empire for almost 1000 years (on and off). Maximum population is disputed and estimates range from 250K to 1M. The last figure being extremely unlikely due to food supply constraints. No other European city came even close in size during the Medieval. 15/20 largest cities in the world were in Asia.

For what are accurate but very conservative estimates see:

http://scholar.chem.nyu.edu/tekpages/urbanpop.html

The cities that I am positive are 300K+ pop for the medieval period had no city walls, but rather major castle fortifications.

Thus IMHO it is realistic that the walls disappear at size seven.

Top Bottom