the celtic peacekeepers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks again for the interest in this

yeah i had to kick the crap out of some evil people to ensure world peace :) And there are lots of evil people....

Yay this is so awesome! I don't know about giving those hittite cities to the byzantines as they seemed more powerful than the hittites in the first place. I hope you can save the dutch in time!

Instaed of attacking the people who are attacking the Ducth could'nt you land troops at that choke point by the last Ducth city and block them?

Originally posted by Daftpanzer
thanks again for the interest in this

yeah i had to kick the crap out of some evil people to ensure world peace :) And there are lots of evil people....

Realy realy realy great stuff, i almost can't belive that you have named all those things.......
But you sund just like USA

isn't it against the rules to slander a person's nationality/make nationality remarks on this board?
:confused:

Well it is true, if we Americans weren't running around kicking the crap out of evildoers like Saddam Hussein who knows what condition the world would be in?

We don't need to turn this into a political discussion here if you want to discuss take it to OT.

In one of my games the spanish eere taking out the Russians on another continent. The spanish had already conquered most of the continent and controlled a the smaller peices of land on the eastern hemisphere. I couldn't let the spanish take the russians, I was getting silks form them for very cheap, but I couldn't declare war on the spanish, I was getting, gems, ivory, and furs, also for very cheap. I sent a transport full of my swiss merceneries to block a chokepoint, and not allow the spanish to enter, into russian territory. But, by the time my transport reached the checkpoint, which marked the beginning of russian territory the spanish horde had already conquered half of the rich, they had alot of resources and sceintific advances, but militaryly weak russians. It was crucial that the spanish not take the 6 silks next to moscow. I sent another transport, this time I attempted to blockade the entire city of moscow, to stop the spanish from attacking. Agian, by the time I reached the far continent, Moscow was taken, however there was still hope, the culture of another russian city had taken over the gems, I quickly blockaded the city with my units, protecting it form further attacks, spain now was a huge super power, controlling the large eastern continent, they had also amassed a huge military, to larger then my peaceful dutch military. I knew my weak defense of the chokepoint, and the russian city would not survive if the spanish , who were increasingly aggressive were to declare war. Agian, I could not declare war on the spanish I was fighting the treacherous porugese, who were once my allies. I had to "beef up" the russian front's defenses. I sent a transport full of worker, and built barracades, and fortrosses to protect the swiss merceneries, at the city and the chokepoint, this took a number of turns, but once compete were a formidable defense, after a sent my knwely aquired riflemen. Every time time a got a better defender, like infantry I would back the defenses in russia. During this time the spanish had declared war on the russians numerous times, but couldn't take the last city which I defended ,also, the only way the spanish could move there forces was by sea, I controlled the chokepoint to russian territory. My chokepoint had essently divided spain west to east, to move between the two sides they had to use transport. Later I built a city in an open area of the spanish/former russian territory, I raised the culture quickly, as not to be culture swapped. I then amassed huge defences here, and built a airport, so I could quickly react to any spanish agression agianst me. I sent a large tank force to be able respond even faster, to an increasingly aggressive spain.
In this way, I was able to peaceful protect the russian silks, while still receiving the gems, ivory, and furs from the spanish. My "matual assured attack" policy and the numerous forteresses had protected the russians, all while remaining absolutely peaceful.

Sorry for the lenght of the post.

Nice tactic, but next time divide that into some paragraphs so it's easier to read, huge blocks of text or hard ot look at. :crazyeye:

I probably should have divided it into paragraphs, I didn't think it would strain anyones eyes form reading text

I'm sure that other people have used the peacful blockade tactic before, haven't they?

It's a fairly cheap exploit that I rather not use. Especially if it's to block the AI from settling somewhere to the direct benefit of the player.

But it is I think fair game when it comes to players trying to exert influence around the world. Given the lack of any extended diplomacy options, i suppose blocking a protectorate from attack is legitimate. There's a rush to that. Players feel influential, powerful and we get to read these amazing stories about expedition forces setting off to protect a victim.

On the other hand, no one wants to read about the cheat who used a unit to play ping pong with AI settler parties just so he could gain an unfair advantage.

Originally posted by dexters

But it is I think fair game when it comes to players trying to exert influence around the world. Given the lack of any extended diplomacy options, I suppose blocking a protectorate from attack is legitimate. There's a rush to that. Players feel influential, powerful and we get to read these amazing stories about expedition forces setting off to protect a victim.

On the other hand, no one wants to read about the cheat who used a unit to play ping pong with AI settler parties just so he could gain an unfair advantage.

I like your analysis of the "blockade tactic". That is why I orginally wrote the post to show my peaceful tatic of protecting the vicitimized russians. While I don't know if I felt a rush doing it, there was a sense of power, I controlled the movement of the spanish, and I was solely responsibe for keeping the russians alive. In fact, the russians were still alive, late in the game, when there where only three civs left in the world. I kept the russians up to techparity by giving them techs to be at the same level as the spanish. In the end of that game, I won dipolomaticlly, all the remaining civs were polite or gracious with me.

Guys were turning this into a discussion. In case you've forgetten this is a story by Daftpanzer.

I wanted to include my own "Peaceful Dutch" story as a supplement to Daftpanzer, I did not intend to turn this tread into a discussion Silver 2039

The Dutch were in trouble, as Mayan forces led by the 'knights templar' fanatics were rampaging across the scattered Dutch kingdom. The core dutch cities were in the far south, and there were 2 separated cities making up a dutch colony in the centre of the continent.

It was around this time that the Celtic caravels had completed mapping out the entire coastlines and oceans of the world. Maps were soon traded with foreign nations, adn for the first time the celts had knowledge of the whole worlds geography.

The celts received news at this time that the Hittites and Byzantines had gone to war, the hittites obviously trying to reclaim the territory taken from them and given to the byzantines. This was very amusing for the celts. The war didn’t seem too serious, and the celts were glad to see two of their former enemies fight amongst themselves. The Hittites somehow managed to overrun the Byzantine city of Smyrna, perhaps by a coastal invasion, but this was soon retaken and a stalemate ensued.

Meanwhile in the celtic nation, a more democratic system of government had been adopted, where the ordinary people had more say, and the role of the druids was greatly reduced. With the greater political freedom, considerable doubt began to be expressed about going to war with the maya, and many were against it. Some suggested leaving the dutch and mayans to fight it out alone, or sending troops only to try to block the way to dutch cities.

But it was also felt by many that mayan power was growing too strong, and it should be limited. The celts wanted to see the dutch grow to become one of the key powers, while they were loosing respect for the ignorant and warlike maya. However, the celtic armies needed a route to the maya. Coastal landings had proved difficult, with offloading troops vulnerable to counter-attack, and there were not enough ships available in the area. A land route was needed.

One option was the route through the coastal lands of the remainder of the inca empire (what was in fact, ancient portugal), but the inca remained hostile and uncooperative. Another option was through the Dutch controlled area in the centre of the continent (these cities had originally been captured from the inca, but the dutch were able to justify an occupation because the inca had destroyed a dutch settlement there in ancient times) A large army could be sent through this land and emerge into mayan territory.

So luxuries were traded with the dutch in exchange for a right of passage agreement. But it was soon discovered that the roads in this region were in poor condition, having being pillaged by mayan raiders. In order to create an easy route to the maya, the high council ordered a road to be built there. In one of the most ambitious engineering feats of the time, a swarm of engineers were sent in to build a complete road along the entire length of the dutch colony region, from ‘fort tree’ to the mayan border. As this was foreign land bordered many hostile powers, all construction work was carried out under the protection of the army. The roadway was completed in a few years, and the bulk of all available celtic forces were sent south along the road, where they prepared to strike….

All in all, attacking the maya seemed the only way forward. And so, on the first day of spring, 1145 bc, the celts issued a demand to the maya that they hand over the city of Gronigen, as a last means of preventing war. Of course, it was well known the maya would refuse. Shortly after the first fighting occurred as the advance cavalry of the celtic force smashed into mayan border patrols near the dutch city of arequipa.

Our main cavalry armies were soon attacking mayan cities. Their main objective at this point was simply to probe mayan defences and test their capabilities. The maya and celts had similar weapons and tactics, relying on cavalry and musketmen. But the celts had more experienced cavalry in greater numbers, and were able to attack with a greater concentration of troops. On the mayan side, the knights templar crusaders were becoming increasingly obsolete, although they were still surprisingly effective in battle.

(celtic frigates leave home waters and head south)

One new weapon the celts did have was the new frigate class of naval vessel, offering long range cannon fire to support coastal operations. The maya lacked this technology, and it was hoped the new vessels would enable celtic control of the mayan coast, but it was found that in close combat, the frigate was no more suitable for sinking enemy ships than the caravel type vessel. Hopefully even better ships could be designed in future.

(celtic cavalry lead the advance)

On land, the fighting intensified as the celtic warriors reached mayan cities. The experience of the last war with the Hitties and the Byzantines was repeated, as our massed cavalry armies were able to repeatedly defeat fortified mayan musketeers. A number of cannons had also been brought in, the thunderous roar of the guns preceded most celtic assaults, reducing the defences and the moral of the enemy. Losses on the celtic side werent very high, as cavalry armies did most of the attacking and were able to withdraw to regroup and rearm after battles.

The mayans fought bravely, but they were obsessed with capturing prisoners for sacrifice and for getting invidual glory, launching scattered raids, while the celtic warriors focused on co-ordinating their efforts, and capturing enemy cities in pitched battles. The mayans seemed to loose sight of the overall war. Soon two mayan cities had fallen, including Copan, with its magnificent ‘Sistine Chapel’, a magnificent temple.

The high council planned the next stage of the war. It was decided that the celtic forces should leave behind damaged units with a small defensive force, and sweep through the western mayan land, protecting dutch cities from attack and carving out land for the dutch to control after the war. Finally, the city of Gronigen would be liberated.

Our goal was reached, with the mayans offering only scattered counter attacks. Our forces soon reached the chilly southern edge of the continent. Some of our warriors recruited from our northern cities had by now made the journey right across the continent from top to bottom.

Thanks to celtic efforts, the city of Gronigen was the only dutch city to fall to the maya, and its citizens joyfully welcomed the celtic cavalry force when they learned their city would be liberated and restored as part of the dutch nation.

The armies of Boudica and Cunobelinus reach Gronigen.

The high council prepared a final blow to the maya, who refused peace terms. It was to be a two-pronged assault, together with reinforcements and rearmed units, on the capitol of Chitzen Itza, which would leave only a few cities under mayan control in the extreme east of the continent.

However, at this point the mayan military seemed to finally get to grips with the situation. A mayan attack with several cavalry and crusader units was launched to retake Copan. It had been lightly defended by musketeers and was lost to the mayan attack. However, our forces moving up from the conquered south were able to quickly retake the city. The mayans were on the defensive for the second and final time.

As could be expected, the mayan capitol was more heavily defended than other mayan cities. The city was an awe inspiring sight even from the celtic siege lines. Great monuments and pyramids were seen reaching up above the city, high into the sky. Nonetheless, this was war, and until peace terms would be heard, there was to be no holding back.

By now, celtic frigates had arrived in some numbers on the mayan shores. Chitchen Itza received the greatest barrage ever seen, with cannons from both the land and sea firing into the city. Nonehteless the city’s numerous defenders held firm, until the celtic cavalry warriors launched a mass attack.

(Celtic forces entering the mayan capitol)

The fighting was fierce, but inevitably the defences of Chitchen Itza were broken. The celtic generals were soon walking down the avenues of the city. It was truly an amazing sight, great plazas and avenues surrounded by huge monuments, gardens and temples, and a great library containing treasured works of literature from all over the world. A great observatory also towered above the city, and the grand headquarters of the Knights Templar organisation was located here. The city truly was a city of wonders, all the more amazing to the celts, who had never yet been able to build any such wonders in their own cities. This was undoubtedly the greatest city in the world!

Mayan resistance had been broken. They had failed to counter the celtic advance in force, and their armies had remained scattered from fighting the dutch. The mayans agreed to peace terms, offering gold and some miscellaneous technologies that the celts did not know of at that time.

It was felt that mayan power should now be limited, and their kingdom broken up. Looking back, the ‘Treaty of Copan’ was very harsh on the mayans, but at the time they were seen as the greatest threat on the contient, and their refusal to discuss peace any earlier in the war hadn’t helped them. The mayans were left with less than half the cities they started with at the end of the war. A new dutch kingdom had emerged, having been given three mayan cities and much stronger position in the south. The Incas also gained from the war, being given one northern mayan city which they had occupied in ancient times. Another city in the south of the celtic nation was finally returned to incan control, to help them maintain a viable nation.

However the celts also decided to occupy some cities in the region. Officially called the ‘Copan Republic’, it was infact a military base, consisting of the cities of Copan and the former mayan capitol with all its wonders (which the celts didn’t want to leave).

Every nation on the continent, except the dutch, had now been invaded and beaten by the celts in war. The borders of the continent had largely been remade the celts, into a new situation which they hoped would bring a balance of power and peace. The ‘age of strife’ was over, there would be no more major warfare on the continent, so it was hoped.

Steam power was being developed, and a new industrial age was dawning. Most of the celtic armies returned home, and the focus of the government shifted from defence to economics and science. Chitchen itza was occupied long enough for two crusader divisons to be recruited, this time swearing an oath to the celtic nation. After this, the dawn of industrialisation made the Knights Templar seem increasingly obsolete, and they were disbanded. Soon the celts became uneasy about occupying another nations capitol, and Chitchen Itza back to rightful mayan control. The Byzantine city of Varna was also handed back to Byzantine control, as a gesture of goodwill.

The future looked bright once again, and it was felt that the celtic nation was possibly the strongest in the whole world! (and it needed to be, to defend the ideals of freedom and justice). But then another war started, and this time the oceans were going to be no boundary to war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom