Middle-Earth:Lord of the Mods (XI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm,

It seems like I'm outvoted on Arnorian UU.

I'll get the quote re: white wolves.

No living hobbit (save Bilbo) was old enough to remember the Fell Winter of 1311, when white wolves invaded the Shire over the frozen Brandywine.
FOTR Book II Chapter 3
Perhaps two of them as a "White Wolf Pack". I know that there is something else mentioned about them, but I can't think of it off hand. Might make a good UU if a pallete change can be arranged.

Sorry if it seemed like I was rushing things. I didn't mean you specifically, but nobody had posted for 2 days which was unusual.

re: knight graphics, think that we should try to avoid heavily plate-armored in most cases. Perhaps we can use a unarmored horseman (the WH horseman?) with a sword or something like that for the 2nd era, then the valiant knight for the 3rd era, then the AOK unit for 4th age. other units can be used for UUs. perhaps brebros for a dol-amroth.

have to go,

rrnut

I most emphatically agree regarding plate armoured knights: no plate armour ever in ME!!! :)

Course, them pot-helmed mail clad dudes covered in trappings and coats of arms (à la BeBro) would be okay, I think, for late Mannish cavalry, like the knights of Dol Amroth as RRNut said.

I of course have no problem with a metal helmet an curiass, why I proposed the AoK units the way I did. Again, I personally think that BeBro’s generic cavalry would look best as a all-around unit, not as a UU.

Like so:
Regular civ3 Horseman, upgrade to AoK Knight>
Aok Knight upgrades to the AoK Cavalier

AoK Cavalier upgrades to BeBro’s Generic knight>

Generic Knight last in cavalry chain.
Knight Axe Attack

I like how the checkerboard patterns meld together myself. I also think that BeBro’s knight would be perfect for all mannish civilizations, as opposed to just Gondor.

I couldn't tell what Wimp, voted for regarding Orc\Orkish ;).

Who wants the Arthurian Knights for the Mannish cavalry? (4)
Who wants the AoK Knights for the Mannish Cavalry? (1)

Who wants the Ranger as Arnor’s Unique Unit? (3)
Who wants a early 4th era Defender as Arnor’s Unique Unit? (1)

Who wants Orc as a unit prefix? (2)
Who wants Orkish as a unit prefix? (3)

I most emphatically agree regarding plate armoured knights: no plate armour ever in ME!!!

IMO dat's why I don't really like the AOK cavalier, he looks too platemailed.

RRNut

RRnut said:
IMO dat's why I don't really like the AOK cavalier, he looks too platemailed.

RRNut
Yep. Besides, the Cavalier's horse looks like a Lipizaner with Creutzfeld-Jacobs Disease. :jump: :p
So I'd prefer the AoK Knight paired with one of Kindred's knights (and I think that the one without helmet would fit best...).

Agreed on the Lipizanner comment.

I think it would help if we did another one of those (labour-intensive) posts where we include links to the graphics we're talking about, all in a nice bit of order, like we did over here. (Oh, looks like I already started that with Mannish cavalry a few posts later! :crazyeye: )

By the way, PCH, I think it might be a bit much to have three Mordor über units, two in the same era, two being roughly the same thing ("Cave" vs. "Stone" troll), except stats. Why don't we just have a "Troll" in the 2nd-3rd era, and an "Olog-hai" in the 3rd-4th (or only the 4th) era?

Oh, and I should have mentioned this before, the "Composite Bowman" (never heard of that in ME, but who cares) should be second in the line-up, not third. Composite bow technology was introduced to Egypt by the Hyskos (sp?), which is a pretty darned long time ago. I imagine that it ought to come a little earlier in the tech line, therefore, unless we want to distinguish two different kinds of dudes using pre-composite bows (and I'm not sure how to justify that). So like this: Bowman --> Composite Bowman --> Archer --> Longbowman

The graphics lists I put up earlier exist for that sole purpose :)
Race Graphic Lines
Mannish Graphic Lines

Regarding composite bows, firstly thanks for the feedback. Secondly: the earliest bows were composite bows, sure, but there were some quite advanced models made. Since we know you don't like units with more than 3 words, I refrained from calling them "metal composite bow" and "bone composite bow" :p ;) .
I can except your reasoning here, because the "bowman" suffix implies that it is an improved bowman, rather than an improved archer. Since the word "bowman" implies an earlier archer, as the first "bows" came from musical intruments. But besides that, the composite bows themselves could be quite advanced. After all, a composite bow simply means it was made from multiple pieces, formed together to make one.

Regarding plate mail- I still think you guys just don't like the overall look of the unit, plate-mail should have nothing to do with it. I have yet to see someone complain about Kindred72's Dwarven Ironbreaker, or Kinboats Uruk-hai Infantry. Those are just two examples, of course.
The fact is there is no reason to imagine that there were no small examples of "plate-mail".
For instance, there are numerous examples of “corslets”, which look like so:

Gandalf took no armour, and Gimili needed no coat of rings, even if one had been found to match his stature, for there was no hauberk on the hordes of Edoras of better make than his short corslet forged beneath the Mountain in the North.

That being said, Tolkien does offer other pieces of information that seem to point to his definition of a "Corslet" being made of 'rings'. In other words, chain-mail. He refers to the Mithril coat of Frodo being called a corslet, for example.
But wait, there is more! :) Tolkien nearly offers a definition of what he considers a corslet, when Sam Gamgee sees the Harad warrior:

He came to rest in the fern a few feet away, face downward, green arrow-feathers sticking from his neck below a golden collar. His scarlet robes were tattered. his corslet of overlapping brazen plates was rent and hewn [...]

This means Tolkien obviously knew what a corslet was, and he (seemingly) also thought that a cuirass of plate-mail would fit his universe nicely.
What I am getting at, is simply having a cuirass or greaves of metal is nothing to get excited about. While Mithadan, you keep reminding me of how we agreed ME would be based around the dark ages of Europe, I am inclined to change my opinion. I believe that it is more synonymous with a medieval roman approach. There are "great empires", then there are barbarian kingdoms as well. This explains the different degree of technological advancement between the Elves, Elf-friends, and the common peoples of Third Age Middle-earth.
I will change the unit on the basis that you guys don't like it. Not because the unit is somehow inaccurate, because I don't see how it is. :)

The Last Conformist- I seem to have blurred the difference between Mordor and simply "evil civilizations" :crazyeye:

I still haven't heard from Celeborn. If we don't hear from him by the time the overview is done, someone will have to post the next thread.
I should have the overview by Sunday, since Sunday is a popular and active day in the LOTM threads.

MRTN: The AoK Knight and the AoK Cavalier use the same horse model. :p

PCHighway said:
The graphics lists I put up earlier exist for that sole purpose :)
Race Graphic Lines
Mannish Graphic Lines
I forgot about those. :blush:
PCHighway said:
Regarding composite bows, firstly thanks for the feedback. Secondly: the earliest bows were composite bows, sure, but there were some quite advanced models made. Since we know you don't like units with more than 3 words, I refrained from calling them "metal composite bow" and "bone composite bow" :p ;) .
I can except your reasoning here, because the "bowman" suffix implies that it is an improved bowman, rather than an improved archer. Since the word "bowman" implies an earlier archer, as the first "bows" came from musical intruments. But besides that, the composite bows themselves could be quite advanced. After all, a composite bow simply means it was made from multiple pieces, formed together to make one.
Yes, but! The point of differentiating an earlier "bow" from a later "composite bow" is that the earlier bow isn't a composite bow at all. I'm fine with that, as early bows weren't composites, but just bent sticks (much like later longbows, of course). But if you want to put an "archer" in-between the non-composite bow and the composite bow, then you imply rather clearly that there are two kinds of non-composite bow, and I'm not sure that's an implication we want. Besides, the only point to calling something a "composite bow" is when that something is novel, and novel things are novel when they are first introduced. So while composite bows are still made to this day, we would be considered odd were we to refer to later archers or bowmen as "composite bowmen" as if that were something noteworthy -- as indeed it was way back in the early bronze age.
PCHighway said:
Regarding plate mail- I still think you guys just don't like the overall look of the unit, plate-mail should have nothing to do with it. I have yet to see someone complain about Kindred72's Dwarven Ironbreaker, or Kinboats Uruk-hai Infantry. Those are just two examples, of course.
The fact is there is no reason to imagine that there were no small examples of "plate-mail".
For instance, there are numerous examples of “corslets”, which look like so:

Gandalf took no armour, and Gimili needed no coat of rings, even if one had been found to match his stature, for there was no hauberk on the hordes of Edoras of better make than his short corslet forged beneath the Mountain in the North.

That being said, Tolkien does offer other pieces of information that seem to point to his definition of a "Corslet" being made of 'rings'. In other words, chain-mail. He refers to the Mithril coat of Frodo being called a corslet, for example.
But wait, there is more! :) Tolkien nearly offers a definition of what he considers a corslet, when Sam Gamgee sees the Harad warrior:

He came to rest in the fern a few feet away, face downward, green arrow-feathers sticking from his neck below a golden collar. His scarlet robes were tattered. his corslet of overlapping brazen plates was rent and hewn [...]

This means Tolkien obviously knew what a corslet was, and he (seemingly) also thought that a cuirass of plate-mail would fit his universe nicely.
What I am getting at, is simply having a cuirass or greaves of metal is nothing to get excited about. While Mithadan, you keep reminding me of how we agreed ME would be based around the dark ages of Europe, I am inclined to change my opinion. I believe that it is more synonymous with a medieval roman approach. There are "great empires", then there are barbarian kingdoms as well. This explains the different degree of technological advancement between the Elves, Elf-friends, and the common peoples of Third Age Middle-earth.
I will change the unit on the basis that you guys don't like it. Not because the unit is somehow inaccurate, because I don't see how it is. :)
Tolkien could tell a cuirass from a corslet any day. He could also tell bronze scale mail from a cuirass! Your nice picture there is what, 16th century? That's way outside even your "medieval Roman" time period (never heard of it! :p). Tolkien's technological paradigm is certainly roughly the time of the Norman invasion, not much later. Gondor was compared to the well past faded glory of Rome (although we needn't infer from this that Gondorian soldiers wore lorica segmenta, as Peter Jackson did!), and I needn't remind you that the Byzantines were easily contemporary with the European Dark Ages. It's not like the Frankish-Caronlingian or various Arabian empires were barbarian kingdoms like, say, the Visigoths in Spain or something. Tolkien was a philologist of Anglo-Saxon (which is why he wouldn't be too excited about the times after the French language began its corruption of the tounge, I surmise); he was writing a myth in the line of Beowulf etc. No plate there, either.

Yes yes, the technological "advancement" of Elves, etc., but that was on the wane, and in the height of Elvish brilliance they were making mail. Of mail, we find rings/chain primarily in Northwest Middle-Earth, and instances of scale (bronze, nonetheless!!!) in the barbarian South and East. Notice Gimli's corslet is "short," as opposed to "long" -- and what's a long corslet? A hauberk, that's what. Tolkien uses corslet pretty much synonymously with "byrnie," which is basically a T-shirt of mail -- and entirely contemporaneous with the latter end of the European Dark Ages. By the way, "Plate-mail" is a non-term that should be dropped toute suite. It's like saying "whitish brown" or "flexible stiffness." We don't need a D&D category (that was invented to give a moniker to those 14th century dudes [notice the dates!!!] who were starting to add plate armour to their mail coverings) in our mod, anyhow! :)

We aren't complaining about the Dwarven and Orkish units because we're short on them. It's not like we've got a whole whack of non-plate alternatives to choose from (unless we get mrtn to shrink another one down for the Dwarf). That said, I have yet to even look at the Dwarf Ironbreaker guy (I sure hope we drop the Warhammer name, though).

In sum, the weight of evidence points far, far away from any kind of plate armour whatsoever. The only evidence you've got for plate is Gimli's short corslet (mentioned in direct comparison with a long hauberk [implying both are coats of rings], with absolutely no mention of anything plate-like -- except your Cromwellian extrapolation), and the bronze scale-mail (sound Ancient Near-Eastern to anyone?) of the Southron warrior. In the words of Monty Python, I'd say plate armour is "right out." ;)

Edit: The Lipizanner remark still holds, too!

Mithadan said:
...Edit: The Lipizanner remark still holds, too!
Yes. Besides, we all know that white horses are more likely to get melanoma, and we don't want to inflict that on the poor horsie, now do we? ;)

I agree with Mithadan on the non-plate stance too, and notice that scale mail was used earlier than chain mail in our world. Especially bronze mail. :p Bronze is cast, not beat like iron, so bronze chain mail is impossible.

Mithadan said:
I forgot about those. :blush:

Hah, I'm willing to bet you never even saw them! ;)

Mithadan said:
Yes, but! The point of differentiating an earlier "bow" from a later "composite bow" is that the earlier bow isn't a composite bow at all. I'm fine with that, as early bows weren't composites, but just bent sticks (much like later longbows, of course). But if you want to put an "archer" in-between the non-composite bow and the composite bow, then you imply rather clearly that there are two kinds of non-composite bow, and I'm not sure that's an implication we want. Besides, the only point to calling something a "composite bow" is when that something is novel, and novel things are novel when they are first introduced. So while composite bows are still made to this day, we would be considered odd were we to refer to later archers or bowmen as "composite bowmen" as if that were something noteworthy -- as indeed it was way back in the early bronze age.

Your logic is flawed ;). The first English longbows were used (by the English) around 1280 but did not formalize to their full potential until the 15th century. The most accurate time frame would be to put them in use when they were most used and at their zenith. In the case of the composite bow, since it was nearly always constantly evolving the most accurate time would be the ‘present’. Since we spontaneously decided to have Longbowmen in ME, and the longbow is better than the composite bow, therefore the Composite Bowmen would not be eclipsed until the longbowmen. The way this could be recognized in our mod would be by having a unit (group of soldiers) using the primitive bows (Bowman) then those upgrade to a unit which is more expansive and more organized, with some having composite bows and some using the primitive “bows” (Archers), which would then materialize into the group of only composite bowmen (Composite Bowmen) as they are far more organized than their predecessors. This makes about as much sense as your theory on ‘novel introductions,’ which doesn’t say much for either theory :p .

Mithadan said:
Tolkien could tell a cuirass from a corslet any day. He could also tell bronze scale mail from a cuirass! Your nice picture there is what, 16th century?

15th Century, but that is irrevalant. I am having trouble about your stubborn refusal of a simple cuirass being in existence around 1066 :rolleyes:.
Tolkien knowing what a cuirass is beyond the point. I am not doubting him in that aspect, I am doubting the English language and how freely he used the term. Tolkien could have 1.) Been referring to a corslet in the term of protection around the chest, or 2.) The actual armor definition of the Corslet. Or he could have used both definition simultaneously, which is the most probable.

Mithadan said:
That's way outside even your "medieval Roman" time period (never heard of it! :p). Tolkien's technological paradigm is certainly roughly the time of the Norman invasion, not much later. Gondor was compared to the well past faded glory of Rome (although we needn't infer from this that Gondorian soldiers wore lorica segmenta, as Peter Jackson did!), and I needn't remind you that the Byzantines were easily contemporary with the European Dark Ages. It's not like the Frankish-Caronlingian or various Arabian empires were barbarian kingdoms like, say, the Visigoths in Spain or something.

You miss the point once more. The idea behind the medieval Roman Empire, is more or less a large, advanced empire that gathers important culture and advancement, as opposed to the small kingdoms like Rohan, who are primarily exist for fighting, drinking, and surviving.

Mithadan said:
Tolkien was a philologist of Anglo-Saxon (which is why he wouldn't be too excited about the times after the French language began its corruption of the tounge, I surmise); he was writing a myth in the line of Beowulf etc. No plate there, either.

I think you are wrong here. Many literary critiques (such as Tom Shippey’s) point out how Tolkien used the Hobbit as a modern-era link to his universe. He specifically and purposely tried to make us, the readers, able to relate to the terms the Hobbits used. He was right in doing it, of course. It is much easier for me to relate to Sam, instead of Aragorn, for instance. He used Colloquial terms such as “taters” and the general vein of Hobbit grammar and speech. I don’t know French myself, if you were talking about the corruption of the French language as the more ‘modernized’ French language then I can’t say I agree with you. I believe Tolkien recognized all the quirks and advancement in the languages and loved them for it. But this whole argument is pointless, as it is not going to change anything.

Mithadan said:
Yes yes, the technological "advancement" of Elves, etc., but that was on the wane, and in the height of Elvish brilliance they were making mail. Of mail, we find rings/chain primarily in Northwest Middle-Earth, and instances of scale (bronze, nonetheless!!!) in the barbarian South and East. Notice Gimli's corslet is "short," as opposed to "long" -- and what's a long corslet? A hauberk, that's what. Tolkien uses corslet pretty much synonymously with "byrnie," which is basically a T-shirt of mail -- and entirely contemporaneous with the latter end of the European Dark Ages. By the way, "Plate-mail" is a non-term that should be dropped toute suite. It's like saying "whitish brown" or "flexible stiffness." We don't need a D&D category (that was invented to give a moniker to those 14th century dudes [notice the dates!!!] who were starting to add plate armour to their mail coverings) in our mod, anyhow!
The technology of the Elves never ‘waned’. It simply stopped advancing. The immortal elves did not forget how to make corslets :rolleyes:.

Mithadan said:
We aren't complaining about the Dwarven and Orkish units because we're short on them. It's not like we've got a whole whack of non-plate alternatives to choose from (unless we get mrtn to shrink another one down for the Dwarf). That said, I have yet to even look at the Dwarf Ironbreaker guy (I sure hope we drop the Warhammer name, though).
We don’t have a “whole whack” of alternative knights to use. We have one other knight that I know of for this role. One has to be used, and that’s what the debate was.

Mithadan said:
In sum, the weight of evidence points far, far away from any kind of plate armour whatsoever. The only evidence you've got for plate is Gimli's short corslet (mentioned in direct comparison with a long hauberk [implying both are coats of rings], with absolutely no mention of anything plate-like -- except your Cromwellian extrapolation), and the bronze scale-mail (sound Ancient Near-Eastern to anyone?) of the Southron warrior. In the words of Monty Python, I'd say plate armour is "right out."

Edit: The Lipizanner remark still holds, too!
The "Lipizanner" remark makes no sense. Why the hell would someone be perfectly ok with the same exact horse model on one unit, but when use don a different one it does not fit? Makes no sense at all.
You want the pics!! You can't handle the pics!!! ;)
(these are bronze corslets, Greek hoplites)

Come on, a simple corslet of armor has undeniably been around since Alexander the Great, simply not in Iron. There is no doubt in my mind that this type of iron breastplate (as shown on the AoK Cavalier) existed in ME.
The quote “overlapping brazen plates” does not at all disprove the fact that plate mail was in existence. Just like in real history, such technology never simply disappears.

Breastplated and helmets were the most common type of plate-mail. You can find many sites reference how such armor was quite common int he medieval ages. There is a difference between plate-mail, such as a breastplate, and a entire suite of armor.

"Breastplates made of leather and metal have been used as long as humans have had the ability to make them. Affixing a sturdy material to one’s chest is the oldest form of armor protection. By definition, breastplates were a solid piece of armor attached to the chest by means of straps or hinges (if other pieces of armor were also worn). There have been thousands of different breastplate styles over the ages, from simple pieces to muscular-embossed leather pieces to elaborately engraved metal pieces. Breastplates for foot soldiers generally concentrated on being as light as possible. Horsemen wanted their breastplates somewhat heavier to prevent damage from spears and lances. The breastplates most technical in their design were jousting plates. A great deal of time and thought was dedicated to their construction. The breastplates were modified with a very protruding, peaked breast to help deflect a lance blow to the side. They were also lavishly decorated and gilded for show. Pictured here are two examples of metal breastplates."

The "encased in iron" type of armour of later medieval knights was not in existance in ME (as far as I see it, at least), and I think that this was Mithadan's point. Of course simple armour details in beaten iron, like helmets, existed. :rolleyes: Get to the point, and let go of those irrelevant hoplites. :p

I never said such armor existed in ME. I said that all the armor shown on the AoK Cavalier was in existence in ME. :rolleyes:
The fact remains that the Cavalier fits in the ME universe perfectly fine. Do a search mrtn, you will see many examples of iron breastplates (considered early plate-mail) as early as the late 1100. You can find may quotes and references to iron plate-mail being used earlier as well.

Of course it doesn't fit, the horses of ME didn't eat cow brain for breakfast, AFAIK. :p

BTW, some kinda congrats for the 1000th post. :)

mrtn said:
So I'd prefer the AoK Knight paired with one of Kindred's knights (and I think that the one without helmet would fit best...).

mrtn said:
Of course it doesn't fit, the horses of ME didn't eat cow brain for breakfast, AFAIK. :p

They are the same horse models. What part of that don’t you understand ;)? They look and act exactly the same, except that the preview you can see does not have the attack or death animations. The horse still tosses its head in those scenes. Yet still, you, my brilliant friend, were able to have the foresight to actually download and look at the units! You say one units horse looks fine, but the other, that has the exact same animations doesn’t look ok, in fact it looks downright stupid? You are contradicting yourself. ;)

Grrr, you bastage!
You made me enter the triple-digit-post-numbers with your spamming! Curse you! ;)
Just two more days to your birthday I see.

PCHighway said:
Hah, I'm willing to bet you never even saw them!
Saw it, but never took the time to look through all of the links, and then forgot about it. Gotta make up for lost opportunities, now, eh. ;)

Okay, lets start slow:
PCHighway said:
They are the same horse models. What part of that don’t you understand? They look and act exactly the same, except that the preview you can see does not have the attack or death animations. The horse still tosses its head in those scenes.
Maybe because one is wearing more trappings than the other, mrtn got fooled into thinking one looked more mad-cow than the other? Either way, I say they both look like Lipizanners -- that's why the comment still held, even after you pointed out they were the same model! :D
PCHighway said:
The first English longbows were used (by the English) around 1280 but did not formalize to their full potential until the 15th century. The most accurate time frame would be to put them in use when they were most used and at their zenith. In the case of the composite bow, since it was nearly always constantly evolving the most accurate time would be the ‘present’. Since we spontaneously decided to have Longbowmen in ME, and the longbow is better than the composite bow, therefore the Composite Bowmen would not be eclipsed until the longbowmen. The way this could be recognized in our mod would be by having a unit (group of soldiers) using the primitive bows (Bowman) then those upgrade to a unit which is more expansive and more organized, with some having composite bows and some using the primitive “bows” (Archers), which would then materialize into the group of only composite bowmen (Composite Bowmen) as they are far more organized than their predecessors. This makes about as much sense as your theory on ‘novel introductions,’ which doesn’t say much for either theory.[/i]"
Let me get you straight: the 21st century is the "zenith" of composite bowmanship? :crazyeye: I would have thought, maybe, Assyrian Siege Archery would have had that honour, or even Steppe Horse Archery (but the latter's a mounted unit and for our purposes, we're talking foot units).

So am I getting your scenario correct? First, there were guys who shot arrows from bent sticks copied from musical instruments called "Bowmen." Then, some guys got really good at shooting these things (and mixed it up a little bit with some fancier bits of tooling) called "Archers," the sharpshooters of their day. Then, gradually realising the radical improvement in efficiency offered by the composite-reinforced bows, they ditched the bent sticks entirely and dropped the "Archer" moniker in favour of "Composite Bowmen." This would have been roughtly the time of the Numenorean ascendancy, no? Finally, they moved on to really long bent sticks that kicked all kinds of @$$, and got called "Longbowmen" thereby. (By the way, the Battle of Crecy was in 1346 and Poitiers was in 1356, which is a century earlier than your zenith.)

Once I understand you properly, then we can talk. :D
PCHighway said:
15th Century, but that is irrevalant.
Eh? A 15th Century to Middle-Earth comparison is irrelevant? We're bickering about the appropriate analogical-historical context for Middle-Earth armouring, so the time period of your examples is quite relevant.

So we've got ceremonial classical cuirasses on one end, and 15th century cuirasses on the other. So far we can place Middle-Earth sometime in-between Classical Antiquity and the Renaissance. I gotta say, though, PCH, the Middle-Earth feel isn't quite togas on the one end and Venetian courtiers on the other.
PCHighway said:
I am having trouble about your stubborn refusal of a simple cuirass being in existence around 1066
Okay, try this: show me a plate cuirass on the Bayeux tapestry. ;) Oh no wait, show me such a preponderance of breastplates on the Bayeux tapestry that would justify the representation of the generic cavalrymen of that time as so armoured, in spite of the fact that the next and final generic cavalry unit (in our line-up) is an exclusively mail-clad knight with a giant stove on his head, because his armourer had yet to figure out that a curvey bascinet would work better.
PCHighway said:
The idea behind the medieval Roman Empire, is more or less a large, advanced empire that gathers important culture and advancement, as opposed to the small kingdoms like Rohan, who are primarily exist for fighting, drinking, and surviving.
Hang on, so now the proper analogical-historical (i.e., this-Earth history) context for Middle-Earthen armoury is hypothetical?

And you see Gondor (for example) as gathering advancements?? Woah nelly, pull in the reins! This is Middle-Earth, not Civilisation III! :D Tolkien was pretty much a Luddite, the Elves were buggering off, the West was failing, Gondor was back on it's heels and in it's twilight years desperate for help from beer-swilling neighbours, and even then it took the improbable event of a wasted-halfling chomping on a faltering halfling's hand to put an end to its immanent demise! Why did Tolkien give up on his story of the Fourth Age (i.e., "The New Shadow")? Because it was too damn depressing. All that future held was Satan worship and corruption. Conclusion? Onwards and upwards! A few large advanced empires gathering culture and advancement as inexorably as the steamroller of progress itself! Yipee! :rant:

I think not, my good friend.

We find ourselves, then, in a period after the Golden Ages have waned (prime historical analogue: the Fall of the Western Roman empire at the hands of illiterate Germanic tribesman, which is a good long while since the fall of Greek civilisation to those sterile Latin engineers [sorry Xen!]), and long-before the rediscovery of such ages were to take hold again (i.e., the Renaissance is not even in view) -- if ever! That period sounds an awful lot like the "Dark" Ages to me (unless you view the heights of civilisation as the true darkness, as a Luddite would), which was when the German barbarian ruled the Continent (and paid the crumbling Byzantines more than a few favours) -- long before Anglo-Saxon got infected by Norman French and turned into the language we know call "English." Ever heard of a coney before you read Tolkien? Yep, it's one more of them earthy Germanic words we've forgotten (compare with Dutch, "konijn," High-German "Kaninchen"). If you want to write a myth about England when it was still England and not a kingdom with a claim on the French throne, when they still spoke Anglish-Sachsisch, then this is your time. It is the time of "Northness," and that is the feel Tolkien explicitly wanted to convey (which attracted the attention of the Nazis, whom he promptly told to **** off).
PCHighway said:
Many literary critiques (such as Tom Shippey’s) point out how Tolkien used the Hobbit as a modern-era link to his universe. ... But this whole argument is pointless, as it is not going to change anything.
Nuh-uh! We are talking the proper analogical-historical context for Middle-Earthern armoury, not whether or not Tolkien's writing style (drawing on more Old-Anglish-Germanisms than you can shake a stick at) allows you the modern reader to relate to the text. Or do you mean to imply that we should use the World Wars of the 20th century as a technological model for our mod? I should think not! So the Beowulfian context I've been arguing for still stands, and that means no plate armour.
PCHighway said:
The technology of the Elves never ‘waned’. It simply stopped advancing. The immortal elves did not forget how to make corslets.
In a sense, it did. Gondolin blades that glowed when enemies approached weren't being made any more. Nobody was carving magic inscriptions onto mountain doors, or writing in moon letters. These were all relics of the past that were remembered, but not practiced by the immortal elves. You're really missing my point, therefore, as I made no intimation that elves forgot how to make corselets. Far from it! Rather, the Noldoin Elves -- the Deep elves, the delvers, the makers of weapons since time immemorial, the most powerful warriors ever known, the teachers to Men of all the lore they ever knew -- these craftsmen NEVER made anything BUT mail. If that's the case, then I find the existence of breastplates, plate armour, cuirassess etc. the most improbable things possible in Middle-Earth.
PCHighway said:
We don’t have a “whole whack” of alternative knights to use. We have one other knight that I know of for this role. One has to be used, and that’s what the debate was.
Sure we do. I was in the midst of doing a really nice post with pictures and everything on the nine generic cavalry units (not including flavours and UUs) when this plate armour stuff started. You used to tell me to get my head out of the Third Age. Well it's time for you to get your head out of the End of the Middle Ages and back into their depths! :)
PCHighway said:
Just like in real history, such technology never simply disappears.
Wrong! Romans didn't wear such ridiculous bronze fake muscles, probably because it was too bleeding inconvenient. Neither did most hoplites, for that matter (see my buddy Lloyd on this ;)). You do get lorica segmenta when the Romans could afford it (when they couldn't, right back to chain mail they went!), you do get centurions in cuir-boulli, you do get ceremonial pieces for marching in parades (coupled with them horrid Attic helmets). And then what?
PCHighway said:
Breastplated and helmets were the most common type of plate-mail. You can find many sites reference how such armor was quite common int he medieval ages. There is a difference between plate-mail, such as a breastplate, and a entire suite of armor.
Did I say "and then what?" Oh yeah. Answer: NO PLATE until, oh, 1327, 1347, 1398. Good Lord, of course plate armour was around in "the middle ages"! The point I've been hammering away at is that plate armour only showed up towards the latter half of the middle ages, a good 300 years after the Norman Conquest. Yer quote there is talking about jousts for pete's sake! (By the way, Google "plate mail" and tell me how many sites come up that are not about Role-Playing Games.)

Here are my search results on "iron breatplates" (excepting the numerous references to the Book of Revelation):

Breastplate: Originally evolving out of the cote of plates as the size on each individual plate increased and the front plate was increasingly globular, the breastplate was fully formed by 1360 or so but was not in wide use until the 1380s. This globular design provided an effective glancing surface that deflected both hand and missile weapons.
Cote of Plates, Pair of Plates, Plates: A cloth or leather covered armour for the body with several large plates riveted underneath for the defense of the body. The most famous examples were unearthed at the Battle of Wisby site, dating from the mid-14th century. For the first half of the century they were made of flat plates, but gradually the breastplate was dished to conform to the shape of the body and the waist was drawn in for the characteristic "wasp-waisted" element of transitional style.
Then some references to Cromwell, the American Civil War, Roman lorica segmenta, "some" of Alexander's companion cavalry, your quote from a modern composite fibre anti-ballistics body armour company (not exactly a historical authority, I might add), a thing out of a Del-Rey fantasy book, a fantasy wargaming site, and that's just the first two pages. Still looking for that magical 1100 AD date. Anyhow...

...okay. I'll take a break now. Enjoy! (By the way, I gotta commend you, PCH, on the great job you're doing with the biq, adding all the units and everything. It's a heck of a lot of work, and there's no way I could do it, so I do want to express my gratitute -- in spite of all the arguing I've been doing bout your AoK graphics pics! :D)

Cheers,

Mithadan

(Edited once for grammar)

Please cool down a bit here, will ya? It's not like the typical player will actually care with what certainty various details of armour can be deduced to have existed in M-e anyway. :p

(Unless you want me to enter the argument ;) - I'm particularly intrigued by the assertation that longbows are superior to composite bows. Far as I know, they achieve about the same power and range at the cost of being much bigger. Oh, and simply bows predate composite bows by millennia.)

I assume PCH's tally of votes was typo'd - several people have voted for the Rangers as Arnor's UU.

Expect me back when I've taken the time to look a bit at those unit lines.

Unit line comments:

Rename the Mansion Guard - all other Dwarven units called 'guards' are defenders, so that one's just asking for confusion. (Mandatory lame suggestions: Dwarven Foot, Dwarven Infantry). Oh, and a A=6 attacker contemporary with a D=8 defender? That sounds unbalanced, if you ask me.

With the best Elven attacker having an offense of 11 (the Longbowman has 12, but not HP bonus), they'll be very hard pressed to shift Dwarven Royal Guards. Generally, attack factors seem pretty low compared to contemporary defense factors, esp considering the general lack of artillery.

Are the Orcs the only ones who get to upgrade their starting unit? I think all civs deserve to.

The "Long Swordsman" ought to be a "Longswordsman", no doubt?

The Orkish Archer is a better attacker than the Orkish Infantry. I don't think that's right.

Mithadan said:
Maybe because one is wearing more trappings than the other, mrtn got fooled into thinking one looked more mad-cow than the other? Either way, I say they both look like Lipizanners -- that's why the comment still held, even after you pointed out they were the same model!
I was trying to make mrtn realize that there difference between the models itself. I realize they look like the custom show horses of the renaissance, but mrtn was implying that the horse on one unit looked acceptable, while the horse on the other did not. I was pointing out that they both ate scrambled cow-brains with a side dish of some dog intestine for breakfast, not simply the Cavalier unit ;).

Mithadan said:
Let me get you straight: the 21st century is the "zenith" of composite bowmanship? I would have thought, maybe, Assyrian Siege Archery would have had that honour, or even Steppe Horse Archery (but the latter's a mounted unit and for our purposes, we're talking foot units).
I was referring to the Longbow when I mentioned Zenith, like so: “The first English longbows were used (by the English) around 1280 but did not formalize to their full potential until the 15th century. The most accurate time frame would be to put them in use when they were most used and at their zenith. In the case of the composite bow[...] ”
My idea here is to point out the best time for such a unit is when it was most prominent, not when it was first invented (as you implied). Going the ‘first invented’ route, you would be introducing units at wrong times. Would you introduce all of the civs to a landmine unit, simply because the Chinese used them against the Mongols? (Source)
If you have forgotten what part of your post I am referring to, here it is for quick reference: “ Besides, the only point to calling something a "composite bow" is when that something is novel, and novel things are novel when they are first introduced.”

Mithadan said:
So am I getting your scenario correct? First, there were guys who shot arrows from bent sticks copied from musical instruments called "Bowmen." Then, some guys got really good at shooting these things (and mixed it up a little bit with some fancier bits of tooling) called "Archers," the sharpshooters of their day. Then, gradually realising the radical improvement in efficiency offered by the composite-reinforced bows, they ditched the bent sticks entirely and dropped the "Archer" moniker in favour of "Composite Bowmen." This would have been roughtly the time of the Numenorean ascendancy, no? Finally, they moved on to really long bent sticks that kicked all kinds of @$$, and got called "Longbowmen" thereby. (By the way, the Battle of Crecy was in 1346 and Poitiers was in 1356, which is a century earlier than your zenith.)
There is much more to a Longbow than a “large bent stick” ;).
However, you have yet to differentiate between an archer, bowman, or composite bowman. Yes, you more or less pegged my theory on the head. Also, for men my theory would work fine, except for the situation of Númenor. All of the other mannish civilizations of middle-earth would be quite primitive and lack advancement in the middle second era, they would not have improved in leaps and bounds. In this case, Númenor is the exception to the rule.
Also, some major reforms were made a while ago which I had forgotten to update in the unit line excel sheet.

Bowman: Civ3 Vanilla Archer (upgrades to Compostie Bowman)
Skirmisher: Alum's AoK Skirmisher
Composite Bowman: Alum's AoK Archer
Longbowman: Kinboat's Robin Hood (with hood)

Notice how I replaced the archer with the skirmisher. Granted I did not make that decision out of forsight, I made it because we lacked graphics. However, Mrtn and I had been discussing Elven graphics earlier, and we are using the two Japanese archers for Elven units, that frees up the Babylonian Bowman. But I must warn you, the suggested Japanese unit has plate-mail(the archer from the PTW extra’s pack ;) ).
Mithadan said:
Okay, try this: show me a plate cuirass on the Bayeux tapestry. Oh no wait, show me such a preponderance of breastplates on the Bayeux tapestry that would justify the representation of the generic cavalrymen of that time as so armoured, in spite of the fact that the next and final generic cavalry unit (in our line-up) is an exclusively mail-clad knight with a giant stove on his head, because his armourer had yet to figure out that a curvey bascinet would work better.
I couldn’t show you any pictures, but I can show you articles which mention the beginning of plate-mail(Source1|Source2).
They both say that the beginnings of plate mail were around in the 12th century. (1100's)
You can find many sources contradicting each other, but there is a general agreement that breastplates, greaves, and other early forms of plate mail were emerging in the 12th century or 13th century.
Mithadan said:
Hang on, so now the proper analogical-historical (i.e., this-Earth history) context for Middle-Earthen armoury is hypothetical?

And you see Gondor (for example) as gathering advancements?? Woah nelly, pull in the reins! This is Middle-Earth, not Civilisation III! Tolkien was pretty much a Luddite, the Elves were buggering off, the West was failing, Gondor was back on it's heels and in it's twilight years desperate for help from beer-swilling neighbours, and even then it took the improbable event of a wasted-halfling chomping on a faltering halfling's hand to put an end to its immanent demise! Why did Tolkien give up on his story of the Fourth Age (i.e., "The New Shadow")? Because it was too damn depressing. All that future held was Satan worship and corruption. Conclusion? Onwards and upwards! A few large advanced empires gathering culture and advancement as inexorably as the steamroller of progress itself! Yipee!
Ah, but this speaks only of Gondors decline, you say nothing about its rise. Gondor existed for some 3,000 years. It started out smaller than Arnor but was able to acquire enough land to surpass Arnor, even at its zenith. And hey, I’m staying (mostly) within the lines of the third age here ;).
Of course Gondor declined, all Empires do, but it had time to explore its cultural side, the mere fact that Gandalf mentions Gondors comprehensive library when he studied the history of the Ring, is testament to that.
Mithadan said:
Wrong! Romans didn't wear such ridiculous bronze fake muscles, probably because it was too bleeding inconvenient. Neither did most hoplites, for that matter (see my buddy Lloyd on this ). You do get lorica segmenta when the Romans could afford it (when they couldn't, right back to chain mail they went!), you do get centurions in cuir-boulli, you do get ceremonial pieces for marching in parades (coupled with them horrid Attic helmets). And then what?
It obviously didn’t disappear!

Breastplates were common enough for the Romans to portray them even in their “realistic” sculptures. Not giving any mention to the heroic statues of the warrior emperors wearing such armor, such as Augustus.
Mithadan said:
The point I've been hammering away at is that plate armour only showed up towards the latter half of the middle ages, a good 300 years after the Norman Conquest. Yer quote there is talking about jousts for pete's sake!
This is probably what I’m having the most trouble with. There is no doubt Tolkien wanted to make-up an alternate English mythology, he says that. But my question is- where in that great expanse of Dark Ages you pointed out, is it supposed to fit.
Do these 6,000+ years of history in ME, supposedly fit in your defined line of 300 years? Is this 6,000 years of pure Beowulf, or does this transcend those borders? Relating to history as you and I keep doing is just confusing me more. If it is pure mytholgoy against history, then we have equally curious questions. What is stranger, a Lipizzaner or a eight legged horse born from a male?
Mithadan said:
(By the way, Google "plate mail" and tell me how many sites come up that are not about Role-Playing Games.)

Here we have an intricate model of what is possibly a scale armor unit, while accompanied by a cutlass, and a large sword made out of some type of black or burnished metal. Although the black weapon does seem to take on the appearance of a (remarkable for its time frame) sawed-off shotgun. But if it is indeed a gunpowder weapon, one has to take into account this persons ability to judge armors, as I wonder how the scale-mail armor will protect one from a sawed-off shotgun.
Mithadan said:
...okay. I'll take a break now. Enjoy! (By the way, I gotta commend you, PCH, on the great job you're doing with the biq, adding all the units and everything. It's a heck of a lot of work, and there's no way I could do it, so I do want to express my gratitute -- in spite of all the arguing I've been doing bout your AoK graphics pics! )

Flattery won’t get you anywhere! ;)
Actually, I would much rather prefer argueing about plate-mail in ME than working on the .biq

OK- I had some time to think about it, and (accompanied with the sheer radiant power of Cheetos) was able find an article on plate-mail in ME in particular. After all, other people have had to wonder about this also, the trick was just knowing where to look. I checked TEA and the Tolkien Fanatic Site of course, but didn’t find anything there. While checking the different links at the Fanatics Site, I remembered an article I read at the “middle-earth reenactment ” site about what weapons were allowed. It seems they have a good and definitive article about plate-mail.
http://members.aol.com/gijchar/snme.htm

You just got to know where too look. Google is a search engine after all, if it is on the web it will find it for you, just got to get the right terms.
The article points in Mithadans favor, although it does say there is no proof against plate-mail being in existence. It does specifically doubt breastplates, but also says there are some mentions to other, smaller pieces of plate mail, like greaves.

The Last Conformist-
We aren’t getting _that_ hot arguing. Any insults I give mrtn are epitomes of friendship. I know he doesn’t download any AoK units unless he has too :).
More on Longbows later (even Cheetos can’t sustain you forever) I need some sleep. I think mentioned I owned a longbow when I was arguing on how crossbows didn’t exist in ME. You really need some muscle to pull the strings on a longbow back (in an efficient manner).
Whoops, yeah that was my bad. I dunno what I was thinking with the Ranger tally.

I’ll let Mrtn field the Unit line questions, except for the Orkish Archer one. The Orkish archer represents two Era’s. For one less attack the unit trades 3 defense points, it (the Infantry) also has the ability to upgrade. On the AI’s perspective it will make sure that the archer unit gets built for a little amount of time. I think this is one case where juggling with eels worked out ok, and it fits well into the rest of the lines IMHO.

PCH said:
Bowman: Civ3 Vanilla Archer (upgrades to Compostie Bowman)
Skirmisher: Alum's AoK Skirmisher
Composite Bowman: Alum's AoK Archer
Longbowman: Kinboat's Robin Hood (with hood)
Um, this was supposed to be the men, or?
The reason I propes to change the elven gfx was that both the Bab bowman and the Longbowman has beards, something very unelvish in my book.
I think however that those two fit well as men units. Oh, and IIRC the proposal was to use the Otomo archer and the AoK archer as elves.

I don't see why Robin Hood is put as the longbowman, as he doesn't have a longbow? :crazyeye:
The vanilla archer is a bit too lightly clad IMO.
But on the other hand I have no problems having a bowman upgrade to an archer, they're just names, after all, and we'll do stuff like that numerous times.
What about something like this?
Bowman: vanilla Bab bowman
Archer: AoK Archer
Composite Bowman: Robin Hood
Longbowman: vanilla longbowman

This way the AoK Archer would be representing both elves and men, but I don't think that is a problem: if it's got green civ colours it's an elf. :p I don't really remember the elf gfx line, but Robin and the AoK archer can change place if that fits better. :)

BTW PCH, why did you eat cow brain and post that LEGO pic? :confused: And no, that isn't a shotgun, it's a sword. :rolleyes:

Oh, this is so much fun! :) (All in good fun, eh TLC?!)

Great links, PCH! They all support what I've been saying! :D I knew my "Dark Ages" feel was coming from my reading of the Letters, but it's been such a long time. ...Rohirrim looking like Norman invaders, Tolkien mentioning the date of the Germanic Migrations, him criticizing the early instantiations of plate as drawn by Ms. Baynes... Have I said anything else than this? Nooooooo! Plate armour only coming into common use in the 14th century (wayyyyy too late for our ME "Heroic Age"), hitting it's epogée in the 15th. If you want to avoid introducing military technology until it's hit its apex, then we sure as ain't gonna have breastplated cavalrymen running around unless we figger Middle-Earth was a lot like 15th century Europe. (I'm really ripped off that I didn't go inside St. Vitus' cathedral when I was in Prague this past March. I didn't know the oldest surviving hauberk and conical helm were in there with King Wencelas' stuff. Damn!)

Anyhow, it's not like we need Tolkien to say "There was no plate armour in Middle-Earth" for us to reach the sensible conclusion that there wasn't any, hey? That reinactor buddy only had to put that last caveat in there so as not to piss off the dudes that already invested in some!

Ach, that Otomo Archer isn't wearing plate armour, that's lamellar mail! Sheesh! :p

Nice Lego man! :lol: I had the old yellow Lego castle that you had to build, little brick by little brick -- not that wussy new fangled grey Lego castle that came with big giant panels with rocks painted on to it!
PCHighway said:
It obviously didn’t disappear!
Ach, man. First, what's the date on that? Second, it sure as heck disappeared after Rome fell, which is the most important for us. Legionaries and Cataphracts weren't running around in those whack things anyhow. A far cry from that AoK dude fer sure. Third, those dudes are wearing ceremonial Attic helmets, so I venture to guess that the rest of their outfit is either ceremonial or stylized.
PCHighway said:
This is probably what I’m having the most trouble with. There is no doubt Tolkien wanted to make-up an alternate English mythology, he says that. But my question is- where in that great expanse of Dark Ages you pointed out, is it supposed to fit.
Do these 6,000+ years of history in ME, supposedly fit in your defined line of 300 years? Is this 6,000 years of pure Beowulf, or does this transcend those borders? Relating to history as you and I keep doing is just confusing me more. If it is pure mytholgoy against history, then we have equally curious questions. What is stranger, a Lipizzaner or a eight legged horse born from a male?
The trick to this is not to confuse historical-analogues for the purpose of style of dress etc. with historical-analogues for the purpose of temporal progression. The entirety of the Ages of the Sun (millenia, eh) looked like the Dark Ages (roughly 500 years), but the events of those Ages of the Sun have no resemblance whatsoever to the Dark Ages -- or heck, any Real Life History at all. The closest event-analogue I can think of is the Akallabêth mirroring the Atlantis myth (followed thereafter by the rather spurious linking of the War of the Ring to the various wars, hot and cold, of the 20th century). So yeah, Gondor was like a long-faded Rome in feel, but that's about it. Northwestern Middle-Earthers (Elves and Men under the influence of Elves) would be armed much like Germanic heroes from the times of the migrations up until the Norman Conquest. Men of other parts of Middle-Earth would likely be armed in other manners, probably like the South and Eastern contemporaries of Dark Age Europe (roughly the Arabs [or Berbers -- Bantus would fit in nicely for the FAR Haradrim, but I'm really pushing it there...] and the Huns [or Magyars, Pechnegs, Avars, etc.], respectively). See, it's just about feel and appearance, nothing more. It's like Beowulf's temporal context stretched over 10,000 years of another historical timeline entirely.

Middle-Earth evolved so far away from it's real-life connections that there couldn't be any "historical timeline" link anymore, but originally, in the Cottage of Lost Play (Book of Lost Tales I), Ælfwine (nice Saxon name, uncorrupted by them pesky Frenchmen! ;) -- and if I'm not mistaken, essentially the same meaning as "Elendil") the Mariner sailed away from Angle-land and got lost, eventually ending up in Tol Erreseä. The Elves there told him all the stories of the past, and even then I start to loose a sense of the line linking the stories he hears to his England. If I'm not mistaken, the myths Ælfwine learns from the Elves are the "true" story of his Anglish roots, rather than the stories we now know (y'know, of Low Saxon tribes raiding and settling Roman Britain...).

I'll leave the archery question for now, because the Skirmisher is a fine idea. Thattaway, we could just call the Longbowman the "Archer," and then it wouldn't matter that 1) Longbows are way past the Dark Ages, and 2) the proposed graphic doesn't even depict a longbow. Mind you, I did have that graphic pegged for the Elves (remember this?), but civ colours can take care of that nicely, as mrtn points out. Even so, we need to keep our most Elvishy graphics for the Elves, and then the Rangery type dudes -- I wouldn't want to waste them on generic Mannish units, anyhow.

Are we sure we want to use Japanese graphics for some of our Elves? The Elves are supposed to evoke Northernness, don't forget, not Easternness! Besides, they might look a little buggy -- you know, like grasshoppers with all them antennae and stuff. Plus, Elves aren't going to look an different from Edain technologically, anyhow, because the Edain are Elf-educated in the first place. (Mrtn, I do think you'll find hard textual evidence for Elves WITH beards, it's only the diminutive "fairy" influence [which in turn influenced the D&D appropriation of Tolkien's elves] that lead us to the impression that they're as hairless as that girly-man Orlando Bloom! :) That said, I don't think the Babylonian Bowman is such a good pic for the Elves either.) I think colour and "aura" are the main things separating the two (and aura is hard to put in a graphic), not radical technological difference as done by Peter Jackson (man that guy is evil!).

Gotta make supper, now. No Cheetos over here!

Edit: Heck, why not throw in a slinger as the ****ty first-age generic Mannish missile unit? Like so:
1. Slinger -- Inca graphic (by Kinboat?) -- this early on, generic Mannish units might as well look like indians!​
2. Bowman -- whatever was suggested earlier.​
3. Composite Bowman -- ditto​
4. Archer -- Robin Hood dude, or something like that.​
I'm guessing this will be about as popular as my Orc names! :cry:

Edit2: Look what I found!

I had no idea! But the Pechenegs, circa. 850AD-1122AD, used war wagons! (Thus spake DBA Online, anyhow.) Notice two things:
1. Time Period (Dark Ages, baby!)​
2. Location (the Eastern edge of Europe, baby!)​
Can you say "wainriders"? Sweet! I never would have guessed! This is so cool...(not like we'll get this into a graphic though. Maybe we'll be able to use the Sumerian Onager Chariot graphic from Chariots of War, if Steph gets permission to do the conversions. BeBro has taken up some chariots to do, but I'm not sure if he'll want to do the Onager Wagon.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom