Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods (XII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, thinking it that way (PCH's crosspost) don't mind if the elves have to research corruption. just make it a more specific name (i.e. corruption of the rings and Perseverance Against Darkness)

RRnut

PCH, i agree they should be required for era advancement, but I dont really like the fact that they r so 'involved' in the rest of the tech tree. Isnt it possile to separate the epic techs form the normal tech line a bit more?
Also the "Days of ..." should be added for it clearifies a lot imho.

Not really. Separating will be difficult, but I'll fool around with it. I'm going to post the final four Eras as soon as discussion on the fourth ends. We can compare and make final adjustments.

If you guys are wondering what I'm doing at the moment, it's the 4th era (obviously) and I should post later in the morning today. The problem is that, unbelievably, the 4th era had the least techs available.
Only eight :eek:.

I think this isn't the most recent tech listings, but I guess we are here now. I'm creating approximately 18 new techs for the tree, and it is taking time. Expect it today, or tomorrow.

Hurry back AlcTrv and have fun with whatever you are doing ;).

This one was a *****! I wouldn't mind so much if I thought it turned out ok, but that is definitely questionable here. I had to make up a lot of tech names that in many cases just don't fly.
Aside from the tree, I have a question:
What does the flag (in the civilization advances tab) called "Enables Recycling" do? I rarely play that late into civ3 and I've even forgot what the recycling plant does that is so unique.
Another point, the c3c hacked editor has unit teleportation, which could be very useful in the War of the Ring scenario.

The Era4 tree.
Of course, these names are very strange, so if anyone has a better one, speak up:

-
EDIT- And yes, I used my artistic license to add two new resource which I think would be very cool. They would only appear once on the map, i.e. only one resource. They are, of course “The Kine of Araw” (as suggested by someone earlier) and “Mearas”.
-
EDIT2- Follow this link for the latest tree (Era4 and others).
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=1941982&postcount=159
-

Enable Recycling (IMHO) makes disbanding buildings give back shields as well as gold.

was considering what was said re: the third age tech tree. Would it be more possible to mix up the "signs techs" so that other techs require them, etc?

RRnut

True, I was thinking more along the lines of "The Codex Justinian". To clarify, we could call it "The Codex of Laws" or "The King's Codex".
I'm reworking the other 3 eras to fit the elbow style, for no particular reason ;). Just think it could use better organization and it serves for something to do until Mrtn (away for the weekend), Mithadan, and others get back to voice their opinions. Then I'll post all 4 simultaneously, so it will be easier to see flaws and what not. After that we just need to work out the 'non-era' techs and we are golden :)!

If so, I think the word you're looking for is "code" - "the Justinian Code", the Code Civil/Napoléon. Code of Laws, essentially.

Doesn't oceanic trade come very late in that tree? Unless you beeline for it, it's gonna turn up just about when the tech tree is over.

What are the Kine of Araw and Mearas supposed to give? Wonders if in city radius would seem appropriate, I think.

Basically The Code of Laws would be ‘morals’ to uphold with a legal spin. I’m looking for something a little more advanced. The Codex Justinian was basically a book of laws (that contained other books) issued by Justinian that was more advanced but similar in its purpose to The Code of Hammurabi. The Codex Justinian was part of the Corpus Iuris Civilis, along with the Digest (I forget the third one’s name). Now, before people start wondering what I’m talking about, I am basically saying we need a “book of laws” technology. I think that fits well with The Chronicles and City Kingdoms leading up to it. Personally I favor Codex, as it always brings my mind to the Codex Justinian.

Ocean Trade: I won’t say whether it is right or wrong, but I specifically designed it to come very late, based on historical and gameplay reasons. It could very possibly be too unbalancing on island maps, however. I will still argue that it should remain in the 4th era and the most dramatic change should be limited to making it come before the 4th era transports.

Mearas and Kine of Araw for wonders. Doesn’t really matter to me. I was thinking the resources would be something that would add a lot of flavor to 4th era, when all the technological advancements (like doubled worker rate) make things take on an ‘industrial’ feel.
The problems with wonders, is that you would have to get lucky to have the resource appear in a city radius, unless you were the AI (which sees all from the start).

I don't think I've ever seen the form "Codex Justinian" before, but whatever. (The Latin form, however, is IIRC codex Iustiniani, ie simply "book of Justinian".)

I usually build cities dense enough that most tiles are within a city radius.

I might have expected oceanic trade with Navigation. Would of course leave Voyage of the White ship empty, which we wouldn't like.

It is commonly referred to as the “Codex Justinian” in American textbooks (at least mine). When looking it up on the web, you can find some references to it. Apparently there was a book on the subject from the author “Kruger” in the1800's titled “The Codex Justinian”. You can find some other entries on the use of the word Codex in Roman law; Codex Theodosianus, and an entry on Justinian.

I figured you would say Navigation, it is after all the natural choice. I wouldn’t mind getting rid of the “White ship” tech, but it does blend nicely into the tree. We could always fill it with something new, perhaps a wonder that gives the final chapter in the “Lord of the Rings” (the space ship victory). But in that case it would only really be used by the Hobbits...

I think ocean trading should come at Navigation for game play reasons. The White Ship could be a wonder maybe, giving +1 ship movement. Or something nautical at least...
I don't really see that a codex, justinian or not, has a place in dark age britain. Or a place very much like it.... :mischief:

Well, the Dark Age Anglo-Saxon kingdoms did leave a collection of legal codices to posterity. Not comparable in size and sophistication with the Justinian Code, of course, but clearly inspired by the Roman legal tradition (via canon law and Frankish laws, presumably).

mrtn said:
I think ocean trading should come at Navigation for game play reasons. The White Ship could be a wonder maybe, giving +1 ship movement. Or something nautical at least...
I don't really see that a codex, justinian or not, has a place in dark age britain. Or a place very much like it.... :mischief:
Codex is as much and English word as sinister. I think it fits in fine, just that you Northern furriners’ haven’t fully grasped its importance in the English language, which albeit is not very much. Still, I will argue that it fits nicely for LotM, when looking at the alternatives. We have Code of Laws. “Book of Laws” doesn’t exactly sing much to anything more advanced than “statecraft” or something along those lines. “Kings Law” has the ugly side effect of sounding corny, as well as implying certain civilizations were ruled by a monarchy.

I don’t see how a wonder like the whiteship should increase movement over the ocean.

Alright, "The Legal Code" it is.
Now, here is a compilation of the four eras, which makes the LotM Technology Tree. Any one see any problems?

-

-

-

-

Oooh, everybody's been having so much fun without me! :D

Continue on as before, I have to run along and do Belgian taxes, go to Greece, go to the Great White North, all in the next week. Maybe once on the other side of the pond I'll have a chance. If not, don't cry for me, LordoftheMod's-atina, I'm just some guy. Nolodan's back, too, which is cool.

Apocathary (sp?) sounds fine in the singular to me. Juliet went to one, even if it was just a guy. It's like going to "the Chemist" in Britain. If you wanted to spank it up a little bit, use the Dutch or German version (anybody know Anglo-Saxon?): Apotheek, Apotheke.

Codex is too Latin anyhow. What did those Anglo-Saxon dudes call their wettelijke bücher?

Best wishes,

Amandil Mithadan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom