Philippe II techs

LouLong

In love with Rei Ayanami
Hi,

would any of you guys have ideas about possible techs in western Europe 1580-1640 (Spain, France, Netherlands, England) ?

Limited unit upgrade paths, roughly 120 turns. Protestant and catholic flavors possible.
Time of East India companies and merchant adventurers.

Ideas welcome !

Magnetic compass ca. 1581

First known life insurance in England 1583

First English travelling and standing clocks (1585) (critical IIRC to eventually discovering how to tell longitude)

First knitting machine 1589

First English papermill 1590

Ruins of Pomnpeii discovered 1592

Mercator's atlas posthumously published 1595

Galileo invents thermometer 1596

English begin forced transport for criminals 1597

First field hospitals 1597

Tycho Brahe publishes work on his instruments 1598

Postal agreement between Germany and France 1601

Galileo invents proportional compass 1606

Telescope invented 1608

First checks (Netherlands) 1608

Dutch merchants permitted in Japan 1611

Amsterdam Exchange builot 1613

Trigonometrical triangulation for cartography - 1617

First harbor with sluices - La Havre - 1628

Richelieu founds Academie Francaise - 1635

Modern geometry - 1639

Micrometer - 1639

Medical uses of quinine - 1639

Coke made from coal - 1640

... A start? :)

-Oz

I'm working on a scenario right now that roughly encompasses that time frame. Mine goes from 1556-1618. In fact I'm having some difficulty constucting a custom tech tree right now myself.

ozymandias said:
Magnetic compass ca. 1581

First known life insurance in England 1583

First English travelling and standing clocks (1585) (critical IIRC to eventually discovering how to tell longitude)

First knitting machine 1589

First English papermill 1590

Ruins of Pomnpeii discovered 1592

Mercator's atlas posthumously published 1595

Galileo invents thermometer 1596

English begin forced transport for criminals 1597

First field hospitals 1597

Tycho Brahe publishes work on his instruments 1598

Postal agreement between Germany and France 1601

Galileo invents proportional compass 1606

Telescope invented 1608

First checks (Netherlands) 1608

Dutch merchants permitted in Japan 1611

Amsterdam Exchange builot 1613

Trigonometrical triangulation for cartography - 1617

First harbor with sluices - La Havre - 1628

Richelieu founds Academie Francaise - 1635

Modern geometry - 1639

Micrometer - 1639

Medical uses of quinine - 1639

Coke made from coal - 1640

... A start? :)

-Oz

I'm very impressed where did you find all these informations ?

frenchman said:
I'm very impressed where did you find all these informations ?

A reference book called "The Timetables Of History". It goes from 5000 BCE to (3rd edition) 1990 CE in one volume -- very much an overview, and very useful.

-Oz

ozymandias said:
A reference book called "The Timetables Of History". It goes from 5000 BCE to (3rd edition) 1990 CE in one volume -- very much an overview, and very useful.

-Oz

:thanx: cool !!

Well some ideas (windmill, navy stuff). Pb is of course the difference between discovery and generalization (ie cartridge was invented before the period but its use spread only after the period.

BTW at the moment the map includes North Africa, France, Spanish-held Franche Comté, Belgium and Luxemburg, Spain (inc Portugal), Netherlands, England, Ireland and Scotland and a little piece of Switzerland and limited HRE (for standard version, not sure yet for the PBEM version (I am really into PBEMs lately)).

I am not sure Scotland is really needed (albeit they have nice units and can be a threat for England).

And apart from making Pyrenees impassable, I am looking for a way of making the Spanish not land on French or English channel shores. Have immobile defenders all along the coast ?

Civs :
- Spain
- England
- Netherlands
- Turkish protectorates
- France (League, Guise)
- France (Protestant and loyalists, Henry IV of Navarra
- Irish
- Scotland
Not in PBEM
- Swiss
- HRE

Lou, of course it's accurate to include Norway, but don't you think it'll give strange gameplay? Or will you remove the ability to build settlers?

mrtn said:
Lou, of course it's accurate to include Norway, but don't you think it'll give strange gameplay? Or will you remove the ability to build settlers?

:confused: Wasn't Norway part of the Kingdom of Denmark throughout this period?

LouLong

"..making Pyrenees impassable....looking for a way of making the Spanish not land on French or English channel shores."

Why do you want to do that? What is the purpose of your game? It can't be exploration with your map. And it can't be Conquest.
Cultural Victory?

How were you planning to reenact the Spanish Armada Campaign?

Well, there are two main countries and their alliances.

England
+ Netherlands
+ Protestant French

Spanish
+ French Ligue
+ Irish

+ Scotland : neutral

+ Turks : locked war against Spain

If Pyrenees are passable, Spain will just cross into France and go up to the Netherlands (their tercios are really good).
Then from the Low countries, they can in one turn unload troops on the English channel shores whereas I want them to resupply Belgium/fight the Netherlands with ship convoys and I want them to be at least one turn at sea before landing troops onto England (which allows Drake defeating the Great Armada otherwise there is no risk for the Spanish at all).

Rufus T.Firefly said:
Ozy has missed one (not on selected countries, but needed)

1632 - Galileo public his book "Over the maximal system" and the scientific method begun to be used on Europe.

:confused: I thought Dialogho sopra i due massimi sistemi dei mondo was a description of apparent terrestrial motion? Wouldn't, e.g., Bacon's Historia naturalis et experimentalis of 1622 be as good a starting point for the scientific method?

What Units and Wonders of the World do you plan on using?
I'm nearly finished with my similar scenario. My scenario includes Scandinavia, Russia, and Eastern Europe. Mine also begins and ends earlier than yours; also the Huguenots are not a seperate civilization they're just a pack of barbarians (no offense to the Huguenots) centered around the fortress of La Rochelle and the Central Massif.
I started a thread to preview my scenario that was buried a couple weeks ago due to a seeming lack of interest. But here is a screenshot of the unfinished product.

ozymandias said:
:confused: Wasn't Norway part of the Kingdom of Denmark throughout this period?
Yes? It was still known as Norway, and as Denmark isn't in the map...
I prefer to call a spade a spade, even if it's technically a subset of the agricultural tools... :lol:

Top Bottom