Sioux Civilization (3d, anim, era, ico, civ entry)

The files of the Sioux Civilization are:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/sioux01.zip
http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ3/civs/sioux02.zip

Civilization: Sioux
Bonuses: Expansionist and Militaristic
Title and leader: Chief Sitting Bull
Best/shunned government: Despotism and Feudalism (Monarchy)
Agression: 04
Cultural group: American.
Noun: Sioux
Adjective: Sioux
Colors: Purple (Iroquois) and Pink (France).
UU: Sunka Wakan
Civilopedia entry: RACE_SIOUX

Cities:
Little Bighorn
Wounded Knee
Cedar Creek
Stony Lake
Bear Paw
Point of Rocks
Buffalo
Wood Lake
Raging Brook
Big Mound
Running Bear
Silver Moon
Wildcat Valley
Three Forks
Great River
Seven Brothers
Red Cloud
Snake Canyon
First Wind
Yellowtree
Morning Rock
Killdeer
Slim Buttes
Muddy Water
Elk River
Ghost Island
Cockleburr Falls
Rosebud Creek
Spirit Lake
Hole In The Wall
Powder River
Stone Made Peak
Greasy Grass River
Medicine Wheel Mt
Chief's Crag

Military leaders:
Red Cloud
Gall
Rain In The Face
Little Crow
Two Strike
Spotted Elk
Iron Shield
Little Wound

Scientific ones:
Guyasuta
Old Smoke
Five Feathers
Running water
Bear Stalker

Civilopedia:
The Sioux are a grouping of bands and tribes that spoke the common language called. In their own language they are also called the Dakotas, Lakotas or Nakotas. Among the best known Sioux tribes are the Hunkpapa, Oglala, Brule, Miniconjou, Sans Arcs, Wahpeton, Wahpetkute, Yankton and Assiniboine. When Europeans first arrived, the Sioux tribes were mainly woodland dwellers, living along the upper Mississippi River in parts of what is now Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and North and South Dakota. They lived in permanent earth lodges and cultivated crops. When their traditional enemies to the east, the Chippewas, obtained firearms from the Dutch and French traders, the Sioux were at a disadvantage in warfare. Many of the Sioux tribes moved west to the Missouri River and then past it. The Sioux that settled around the Black Hills of South Dakota, in Montana, and in Wyoming aquired the use of the horse by the early 1700s. The horse revolutionised their culture. It made them better hunters and fighters, allowed travel over greater distances and with better speed, and allowed greater loads to be carried. The western Sioux, like other Plains tribes, became predominantly nomadic, living in the familiar teepees that could be erected and taken down easily. This allowed the group to follow migrating buffalo herds that provided much of their food and raw materials. At least 86 non-food uses for parts of buffalo have been counted, such as blankets, clothing, threads, tools and fuel. In warfare on the plains, bravery was measured by "counting coup," the object of which was to touch a living enemy in battle. Coup could be counted by touching with a special coup stick, or other weapon, or the bare hand. Each successful coup earned the right to wear an eagle feather. After counting coup, more feathers could be earned by killing and scalping the enemy just counted. Great honour was earned by capturing an enemy's possessions, especially his eagle feathers that could now be worn by the victor. The emphasis on individual bravery helped make the Sioux and other Plains Indians outstanding warriors. They have been called the finest light cavalry ever. The cultural importance of individual action made fighting them unique. Their leaders could only decide where the battle would be fought. Once closed with the enemy, the leaders became individual warriors themselves and could not presume to tell others where to go or who to fight. Each individual had the right to select his enemy and engage him. The fate of the Sioux on the Plains is the familiar one of coping with ever-shrinking hunting grounds because of the encroachment of European settlers. In addition, the buffalo herds were slaughtered by whites for their tongues and hides to the point of near extinction. Successive treaties with the United States were broken as more and more settlers came west hungry for land. The discovery of gold in the Black Hills meant the Sioux had to concede that area as well. With their hunting grounds and food sources disappearing, they were eventually forced into submission. By the turn of the twentieth century the remaining Sioux were settled on reservations and largely dependant on the government for subsistence.

Sunka Wakan, the UU:
Replaces knight, cost 10 shields less and does not need iron to be done.

Icon

Run

Death

Victory

Attack

Forfify

You're doing great work making all these leaderfaces :)
It's wery usefull. I'm waiting for some central european leaderheads like Poland or Ukraina :D

This is excellent! I put the Sioux in my mod a couple of months ago, but just used the Iroquois leaderhead - now they can have their own. I do have one question: why is he sitting in front of what is unmistakably Mount Rainier in the third era? Rainier is near the Pacific Coast - about 1500 km from Sitting Bull's home... It's a nice picture, in any case. Thanks!

I agree, im going to use it because I want the Sioux in my mod and there's no other sioux leaderhead, there was one some time ago that looked really cool but it wasnt completed.
CivArmy, could you retouch this one like you did with the Tupi leaderhead? That one got much better ;)

Madeira said:
I agree, im going to use it because I want the Sioux in my mod and there's no other sioux leaderhead, there was one some time ago that looked really cool but it wasnt completed.
CivArmy, could you retouch this one like you did with the Tupi leaderhead? That one got much better ;)

yes, I can, but what do u suggest? it could be done, but not now, cos I have a lot of work to do :eek:

Regardless of what others said here before: I think he does look like Sitting Bull and it's a wonderful leaderhead!!! BTW, does anybody know what "chief" is in Sioux/Dakota/Lakota? And "Sitting Bull" in that language for that matter?

TopGun69 said:
Regardless of what others said here before: I think he does look like Sitting Bull and it's a wonderful leaderhead!!! BTW, does anybody know what "chief" is in Sioux/Dakota/Lakota? And "Sitting Bull" in that language for that matter?

I was looking for this word too, also in other Native American linguages, like Navajo and Haida. Just find in Cherokee, cos Mobilize told me.

BTW, fellows, I added the civilopedia entry in the LH and the unique unit, if u have already downloaded this civ before, just need download again the first file.

Nice :) thank U :) only one small point of critique: By 1700 the knight is not a good example of replacement for the Siux UU, since by that time the knight as such had already dissapeared from the European battlefields. I propose BeBro's "Reuter" unit to stand as a counterpart to this one.

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
Nice :) thank U :) only one small point of critique: By 1700 the knight is not a good example of replacement for the Siux UU, since by that time the knight as such had already dissapeared from the European battlefields. I propose BeBro's "Reuter" unit to stand as a counterpart to this one.

I agree, the line of the mounted units in the game is not so good, Mounted Warrior (Iroquoi UU) replaces ancient horseman, it is wrong, cos the horses just have arrived in Americas after 1.500 aC and there is no mounted unit between knight (middle ages) and cavalry (Napoleonic Time, I think). For my ACM I'm using a similar line proposed by Bebro, it iwas done by Sword of Geddon and Sunka Wakan is present :)

Top Bottom