Bjørn's Discount Art Emporium

Those would be them.

I'm not sure how they differ in terms of Kryten's cutting and pasting, but historically speaking I don't believe peltasts and phalangites were equipped similarly save for their kind of polearm. Not like I know where you get the artwork you've been using from, but I assume that your sources will show the differences well. If not, I can google something up. But not now, I'm going to bed! :sleep:

That's exactly what I wanted! The nice thing about using historical artwork for civpedia pics is that if, say, the actual unit graphic is less than accurate (or something), the civpedia pic makes up for that shortcoming. Plus, having "alternate" civpedia pics (like you've provided) is handy when I use the same unit graphic more than once -- like when I give the phalangite to Greece, and then later on to Alexander's successor kingdoms (Egypt, Anatolia, Mesopotamia-Persia). So in my case, I don't have to agonise over which cool civpedia pic of yours I'll end up using!

I'm glad you like them. If you need more/others let me know... No promises, of course.
I did the two version of the Phalangite since I always thought phalangite was just another name for hoplite, perhaps a name for a group of hoplites operating in a phalanx. In trying to figure out what they should look like I learned a little. Phalangites could be called hoplites, but hoplites can not be called phalangites. The difference was the main weapon was this huge long pike. So I did one which did not forshorten the pike, to illustrate the difference. The other was supposed to look a little like the FLCs from Kryten. Originally I had the joiner on the pike, but it looked odd when I sized the image, so I removed it for a cleaner line.
Since in his text Kryten refered to Thracian peltasts, those are both thracian.
With the hoplites I did one as spartan the other as Athenian. Seemed fitting.
btw: just so you know, these are not 100% accurate historically. They are historically based. But they are pretty close... perhaps 85-95% depending on which icon you're looking at. They as close as I could get without alot more work.

85-95% is close enough for me!

I think we just call 'em phalangites cuz we're not sure what else to call a guy from a Macedonian-style phalanx armed with an 18 foot pike. Sarrisa-gites? :crazyeye:

Thracian is fine, apparently that's where most of them were from, though I suppose other peoples picked up on their style of fighting. Not like I have any clue, still haven't picked up that particular Osprey volume yet. ;)

Thanks for the offer to do more, maybe. I'll see what else I've need of, one of these days. Again, no promises, no sweat! I can tolerate a "no" answer, no problem.

Cheers!

Hmm I hope you don't have a queue of units to make...

I would like to have a Lord of the Rings Elvish Longbowman, with a bit of emphasis on the fact that he would look kingly and royal.

If you have time, I would also need some help making more elvish, orc, gondor, and rohovanian (Rohan) units, which if you will make them, I will give instructions for later.

Thanx.

PS Since I don't get on the forum regularly, PM me with the results and any questions...
Thanx

I'm not going to be making these sorts of units for quite a long time. I don't plan on doing alot of fantasy units, as I don't use them. Also, I am not a very experianced unit creator. So, it takes me a long time to make each one. Kinboat and Aaglo are as good as it gets at unit creation and they both make alot of fantasy units. I'd be willing to bet they even have something already posted on this board that is at least close to what you were hoping for.
I also have some ideas on what I want to do for the next several units already in mind.
Take care.
(same message also sent in PM per request)

For the most part I made those images (or parts of them). I combined pictures of hats, pants, rifles, and so on on top of different basic soldiers of the right era. Often having to recolor stuff to match. Some turned out close to perfect, others have some minor flaws where I was inexpert in my use of photoshop. If you use ZOOM in a paint program and know to look for seams, I'd bet you find some.

Unit: StarGate Battle Cruiser, the X303 Prometheus
Scale: VERY large (by request)

Notes: Unit is complete, includes installation instructions, civilopedia text and icons, etc.

This is my third unit. Unlike my first two, this one was rendered in Bryce.

Civilopedia Icon:

Previews:

Run

AttackA

Death

Victory

Unit Thread

Unit: Hummer Avenger (v2)
A low cost, high speed mobile SAM. It is capable of limited direct ground support as well as it's primary role (AnitAircraft).

Scale: Same scale as Kinboats and Ripptides Hummers, close to (and useable with) Standard/Firaxis scale

Notes: Unit is complete, includes installation instructions, civilopedia text and icons, etc. Almost every animation and sound file was remade from version 1.0. See the unit thread for a list of changes.

Civilopedia Icon:

Alternate Civilopedia Icon:

Previews:

Fidget -> run -> fortify -> attackA -> victory -> death
Unit Thread

Bjornlo, The graphics are absolutely fantastic. Do you have plans to "finish" all your creations complete with animations, text and art files? I see you've done a few and they are great! These are the units Firaxis should have had!!! Well Done.

Sully

I have well over a dozen units in various states of completion. In part because I often work on parts I understand well and defer parts I am still learning about.

But, I think you are not asking about units I am working on, but the civilopedia icons I did. Those are a seperate issue. Nearly all of those were done by request. Almost all of them had unit animations by someone else already done and were either missing the icons or the icon quality didn't quite match the animation quality.

So far, I have taken the time to get all the files for all my units. Including multiple animations, sounds, text, icons, and so on. I hope to continue this, but some sound files are hard to find or make. I did not include these things with the civilopedia icons because the original sound, text and animation files were works by others.

The civilopedia icons are not at all related to the units I am working on. Almost all of them involved convolutions (cutting, pasting, drawing and so on) with photoshop. My first two units were made this way. My more recent units, and all planned units, are all made with 3d rendering programs. You can achieve equal results with either method, but photoshopping units is VERY time consuming and many effects are very difficult to achieve with photoshop. I think my Jeep will stand as the finest work I could possibly do in Photoshop, but it is not quite as animated as my most recent hummer. The Jeep took me well over 100 hours (possibly more then twice that). The hummer took me less then 50... and only took this long because I remade it completely.

I have been just crushed at work for a few weeks, and I also had a major computer problem (neighbors tree got struck by lightning, and somehow my super-fancy UPS battery backed-up power system didn't completely protect my system.

Look for new work from me over the next month. Hopefully I will have the time to do all I want to.

Unit: BVP M80A INFANTRY COMBAT VEHICLE from Yugoslavia, and later Serbia.
Scale: Standard Firaxis
Notes: Unit is complete, includes installation instructions, civilopedia text and icons, etc.

Preview:

default -> run -> fidget/fortify -> attack -> death

Unit Thread

Unit: BVP M80LT (Missle-Turret) INFANTRY COMBAT VEHICLE from Yugoslavia, and later Serbia.

Previews:

default -> run -> fidget/fortify -> attack -> death
--
UPDATE :1.01
Added an alternate attack:

The missles fire one at a time, instead of both at once.
updated and original files are now included in the zip file above.

Unit Thread

Unit: Centauro - Tank Destroyer
Notes: Unit is complete, includes installation instructions, custom sound files, civilopedia text and icons, etc.

Preview:

default -> run -> fidget ->attack ->victory -> death

Unit Thread

Unit: A-Wing Star Wars fighter
Notes: Unit is complete, includes installation instructions, custom sound files, civilopedia text and icons, etc.

Previews:

default -> run ->attackA ->attackB -> death

Since space mods can be set to use this as an air unit or a sea/ground unit, I made victory animations to cover both

Victory if used as a land or sea unit (or alternate fidget for Air unit)

Victory if used as a Air unit.

Unit Thread

Top Bottom