Preview of Steph's Napoleonic wars

gexozoid said:
ooh what a load of cr*p .. just look at all thoes non-historical low quality units!

where the hell did you get them?!

gex

Moderator Action: Looking at Steph's post below, I am assuming you are being sarcastic. Just remember that sarcasm doesn't translate to the printed page very well. ;)
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

i wouldnt call them crap, but are they exactly like the ones you made? The mounted units at least look like they suffered some problems due to the palette.
The foot units look a lot better for sure.

varwnos said:
i wouldnt call them crap, but are they exactly like the ones you made? The mounted units at least look like they suffered some problems due to the palette.
The foot units look a lot better for sure.
remember that screenshots suffer from palette issues

I have a question about the map.

How big should it be?

I want enough room to place the minor countries (Rhine confederacy, Bavaria, Netherlands). I also want to be able to manoeuver a bit around cities.
The map will also go a bith farther north, and include the North African and Middle East coast.

So I was planning for a 256x256 map.

As a compensation, turns will be 1 month instead of 2, and I've increased the MP.
- Militia, heavy artillery : 1 MP (to "force" them to stay in their own country)
- Infantry, light artillery : 2 MP
- Cavalry, horse artillery : 3 MP
- Light cavalry : 4 MP.

I could also increase the road bonus to 4.

What do you think of these proposed changes?

Also:
- Should I include enough land to go by foot from Egypt to Algeria through Lybia? Or make it a sea only route?
- Should I include Caucasus to open a new possible front between Russia and Ottoman?

Hm, I would suggest:

-include Caucasus to open a new possible front between Russia and Ottoman
-include enough land to go by foot from Egypt to Algeria through Lybia
-include enough sea to feature the Portugese and Spanish Atlantic isles and enough space for hide-and-seek fleet manouvers

-"large enough" Small states should include (amongst others):
Rhine Confederacy with Hessen; Baden & Würtemberg, etc
Hannover
Saxony
Bavaria
Würzburg
Denmark
Poland
Denmark
Vatican State(?)
Kingdom of Piemont
Naples (Kingdom of the Two Sicilies)
... some small Balcans buffer state (forgot its name)

about the Map:
I'd say Lambert-style (though it is merely my personal preference per se). What are the differences between the particular numberings?

about Size:
hard to say- I must say that for such a game in Civ2 I have always enjoyed a smaller map and an overseeable unit ammount, but then again this is Civ3 and thus requires some more. Don't make it too large or you will risk mad AI city-building-spree, especially in the East of the map, Russia and Ottoman Empire, where cities are far appart (unlike in the crammed Western- and Centre Europe).

Stereographic 1 is an Oblic stereographic based on Bessel 1841 Ellipsoid and an IAG GRS 80 Geoid, centered on Netherlands
Stereographic 2 is an Oblic stereographic base INTERNATIONAL HAYFORD 1909 Ellipsoid an IAG GRS 80 Geoid, centered on Romania
The two Lambert are very similar.

There won't be settlers in the game, so there won't be a city building spree.

I also plan to limit trade a little, to speed the turns. Napoleonic wars is WARS!

About your civilization list...
Should I really include Denmark twice ;)?

Hannover will be British owned. Bavaria may be independant, but all the other German states are likely to be gathered into Rhine confederacy (if only because of availalble units). By the way, I think you mean Wurtemberg instead of Wurtzburg?

What Balkan states are you thinking about?

And according to this map, Russia wasn't really controlling the Caucasus, so it should not be included

Walachia and Moldavia are under Turkish domination.

If I start in 1795, I can include Poland as well, and France is not to big yet.

In 1800, France is to strong I think, and Poland doesn't exist anymore. But Prussia is a bit more powerful.

Ah perfect- couldn't find my Civ2 cd- but that map has it all :) (the second map, cuz your first map only depicts Europe- hence it is obvious that the Aisan regions controlled by russia won't appear- similarly as no african region is coloured). The caucasus also offers the possibility for placing several Barbarians camps- but the land connection should be there- otherwise nothing will happen between Russia and the OE. except some ships sinking one another.

-Balkans: Wallachia and Moldova (in my Civ2 scenario they were Neutral, mainly due to the problem of having a mere few civs available). I think I had Bosnia as neutral as well, but I cannot remember - its a looong time ago :)

Having had scritps in Civ2 the Neutral cities were meant to be swallowed up in my scenario- basically a race to captures thos choke points and to diminish the buffer zones (that's also why Wallachia and Moldova were not fully "Turkish" in real life- they were meant as buffer zones between Austria and the Ottoman Emp., as well as between Russia and the Ottoman Emp.).

-Germany: Keep Bavaria and Saxony as their own Civs, Hannover as British is fine. I actualy meant Würzburg- it is situated to Bavaria's North-West (that Pink spot within the light red surrounding the Bavarian blue. Würzburg was allied with Austria and had similar looking troops (white uniforms and even those helmets).

---

Have in mind that if the AI razes a city it will be gone forever... aaaand, there can never be enough Denmarks- minimum is one per map ;)

Wurzburg is quite small, and I consider it irrelevant for Napoleonic wars.

I'll try to see what I can do for Saxony and Wurtemberg, but it will depends on the units produce by Gexozoid for the last release of his mod.

Steph,

this looks like it's shaping up nicely for you.

if you use a large map like that and want to keep turn times relatively decent, you can remove the 'allows sea trade' flag from the harbor and instead grant this feature to a sm wonder or something.

disabling espionage features also chops time off of the turns.

i've found that both significantly reduce the turn times :)

That's what I planned to do.

I may also completly rmove sea trade.

In fact, there will be three versions of the scenario.

Version 1 is standard, ie you can build your units anywhere, but of course due to corruption you will build them faster in your own cities.

In version 2 the map will have road to connect cities within your own border, but there won't be road to connect your cities to foreign cities, and sea trade will be disabled.

Units will be build normally, but they will require "National resources" that will be put near cities. So the English will be able to build Hannovrian in Hannover only, and Scottish troops in Scotland only.

Also, when you conquer a city, you will be able to recruit "locals", who will fight with their own uniforms, but you can build only the basic units.

For instance, if France invade Prussia, they will be able to build Prussian fusillier (not French one!), but they won't be able to build Prussian Grenadier or Brunswicker. You have to train your troops at home.

In version 3, the units will be build by building / small wonder, automatically after a few turns, and these small wonders will require to have the national resource in the city radius. This way, trade is allowed again, and you are limited to building units where they should go. Also, the maintenance cost of the unit producing buildng can vary.

This way you can selected which option suits you the best. Version 3 will be the more reallistic, but will requires many buildings, and I'm not sure it will work well in single player games. But for multi players game, it should be fun.

Top Bottom