StGNES IV Rise of Nessos II

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE OLD DAYS OF THE GAELION DYNASTY???"

Senator's son Piurii Etheliari came in to the room, running towards his dad.

"STOP dad, come on, uncle Petruriis will bring you to our family's doctor"

And Piurrii looked at the Senators of the Chamber and spoke.

"I am sorry that my fathers troubled mind has caused such, but please forgive him, my family was not so lucky in the wars, though we fought bravely we have lost many of us, and that is why my father has gone mad. Please accept me as the chosen Etheliari, and as a Senator and maybe if you trust me as a Consul, for i have just finnished the university Cum Laude."

"First, let me be the first to say that that was a little strange. Second, what in the name of all of the gods on their thrones in the sky is a 'university'? Methinks both Etheliari have gone mad, not just the one!...and now to the important matter of voting. As for consul, the most-contested office, I will have to abstain for now. I do not quite trust my feelings on all of the candidates. Naturally, my vote will go to Laevinus for pontifex maximus and Commenus and Vo for judges."

Family Name - Navadi
Senator Name - Etero Navadi

Backround:

The Navadi family has been recently established. They construct riding chariots for the nobility in the city. The Navadi family mansion and outlying residencies are located in the Uburban area surrounding the core of the city. Etero is the patriarch, head of the Navari family and the first family member to hold a seat in the Senate.
--------

Etero listens carefully to the discussion, juggling the consequences of making the different choices in his mind. Whom of these men would rule Nessos as his own child? Would his family profit from such a man. Perhaps profit lay in the hands of someone with cruel intent. Etero was an old disillusioned man. He knew the anguish that would fall upon the city should they make an ill choice, but he had been disappointed by human nature in the past. His family was of great concern to him, who knows someday it might outlast the city.
But if Nessos survived Navadi would be much more likely to attain greatness in the world. What man could he trust to care for both his concerns?

Pay attention.

"Well, young master Piurii, let me be the first to recognize you as rightful representative of your family in this assembly. I trust you shall be more... stable... than your father so unfortunately was. I also trust that by "university" you are referring to the Scriptorium operared by Senator Paeologius, which is indeed a prestigious institution, from which graduating with honours would indeed be an achievement."

"I'm most concerned about these "reforms" senator Paelogius would do should he be elected as Consul. The strenght of Nessos lies in it's families, and he is rushing to crush them, take their lands and wealth for Republic. At the same he would also destroy his competitors, which would be us, the senators, headsman of our families. With no competition... I think we all know what he could do then.

"Extremes are always dangerous, and should be avoided. I myself believe that two counsils loyal to Republic would profit the people most. Consuls are not expected to change Nessos to something that they see fit or better, but to preserve what she has and to do what has to be done. Useless alterations should be left aside.

OOC: It's A-ton-di-tos, not Antaditas!

Stats will be finished soon.

If you want to join from now on you'd have t PM me first.

It would be great if you started voting on the candidates...

"Again, Senator, You mince my words. I am for land regulation, not land redistrubition. Regulation simply means that I shall regulate, with the power vested in me by the Senatus Populusque Nessius, the Senate and the People of Nessos, the size of such land purchases to ensure that there is an equal playing field, and that families can only buy so much land at one time, and that such practices such as servitude of Roman citizens does not happen on such land, while keeping some land for the government itself - mostly in newly explored regions - to hand out to settlers willing to cultivate the land in exchange for it. Thereby cleaning it up for possible expansion. That, my friends, is what I mean by land reform. I do not dare to confiscate the land of the families. That would be an utter abomination."

Votes of Atonditos:

Consul: Ottae
Judge: Commenus, Vo
Priest: Laevinius

Tandarian Votes:
Consular: Ottae, Yuman (SP?)
Judges Commenus, Vo
Priest: Nero

Update 0, “Per aspera ad astra“
Stats
I’ve finished and checked the stats today. Financially there will be no more very poor and very rich families – everyone makes between 10 and 20 gold/turn. Those that have “perishable businesses” need to start to worry – I added that because their families did not have much of other income. You need to start to think of how to acquire more permanent money-making assets.

Land and Hunger
Acquiring land in Nessos will be very painful as it is worth a lot and no sane man will part with parts of it.
Remember that 100 people need to feed on 1 Gold worth of food per year. This means that if Families control 20% of land at current agricultural production level, somewhere along Nessos population = 53,000 you will start having hunger problems. Same goes for family members, but so far all of you have your 1% of land.

How to expand business?
Well there are two ways. One is to expand the business itself (by investing money). If you do that your share of business does not grow, but business as a whole grows and thus your share grows too.
Second way is to buy other people’s business in which case business does not grow, but you get better share of the profits.
On average Industries grow 5 to 10% of invested gold. Buying businesses depends on the circumstances.

Senate and Plebs
As far as law goes the Honorable Senators have a lot to do.
There are no taxes in Nessos currently so if you were to wage war you’d need to think of how to equip the army.
Should government officials be paid salaries? Should new government posts be made? You can do anything you like provided the senate agrees.
You can PM Plebs (me hehe ) in case you want to find their support for a law you want to make or ask their opinion. In thread questions are also fine (label them clearly plz). Plebs are a force to be reckoned with and a wise man can use them wisely.

OOC
@Thom Ander:
You can have only one leader as such so I put the first guy there - Mare Nostrum

@North King, Insane Panda: I’d like to have names of your leaders…..

I’d like to thank again Insane Panda for the great map he made for this NES.

To all (from previous NES, but still applies): About the votes. There was reason for me to ask for commitment from all of players. The reason for that was that ALL senators vote in elections and thus we have winners quite soon. There's no law as regards to as how many candidatures for the same post a senator can support as it did not occur to Senators for some time that multiple candidatures can be supported by one man. Still if any Senator wishes he can propose a law regulating that. As I said there's almost no limit as to what laws you can propose.

North King said:
Aurelian Ottae.
I thought that was the name of your old hero. Okay I will add him.

Votes are due tomorrow. I am pushing it because I want to do an update this weekend. Consequently I want to know who will be consul.....

Oh yeah the update is this weekend ;)

Orders for families and consuls due Saturday 20:00 GMT+1.

Senator Nero supports Yunan and opposed the rest

Gelion, you made it seem like I am the Priest, since I am the one getting donations from believers, but it sure doenst look that way from the way the voting is going.

Top Bottom